Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by UberFAILZ See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Good online/phone support, cause that's whats most needed from an ISP."
Bad "The speed, my god, THE SPEED."
Overall "STAY AWAY FROM THIS SERVICE."

Due to where we live, we have had dial-up for most of our computing lives. It wasn't till 2006 when we finally became eligible for dsl (3mb), and at that time, it was awesome. Fast forward to 2015, and it is so unreliable and SLOW. From what we were told from a tech, Windstream has overserviced their networks which is causing the speed to drop dramatically, and whats worse, it being completely off the wall at certain times of the day. During the morning, its a garauntee that you will have a 3mb connection, but once it hits 5pm, OH GOD, it drags and is just dreadful if you need to do anything at that time. Whats really odd though, on some days after 5pm, SOMETIMES, GOD WILLING, you MIGHT attain a 3mb connection, and I have NO CLUE as to what causes it. We've complained and complained AND COMPLAINED for what seems like ages now, about how TERRIBLE this service is and just recently, our phone lines have been cutting out for day long periods for absolutely no damn reason. Honestly, if this is the only option you have as far as an ISP, I would BEG you to reconsider, because you will NOT get what you pay for. I will report them to the FTC, BBB, and start raising some hell because I know I'm not the only one that's suffering with these crooks.

Comments:
Aaronb

join:2012-07-26
Santa Cruz, NM

mine has gotten so bad that the average connection up time is about 100 seconds

Review by kahfess See Profile

• Location: Colbert,Madison,GA
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Unrealiable serivce, slow speeds when it is "working", "
Overall "If we had a choice, I wouldn't still be with them. Crashes daily."

I bundled my phone and DSL together with unlimited long distance.

I've been on windstream for years, because it's the only show in town. When I first started with them the service was slow, but at least it was dependable. Starting about a year ago the service started to decay and about six months ago it became normal for it to crash or else have just enough to keep your modem light from turning red. When I could do a speed test we have actually tested out as little as 0.10 for download speed. If it's not hovering somewhere under 1.00 Mbps then it's spiking between 3.06 and crashing. This goes on day in and day out and when I ask all I get is told that the lines are over subscribed.

As soon as anything else becomes available I'm switching, being slow is one thing, but crashing all the time just doesn't work.

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Charter Cable

Looks like you might have Charter cable and high speed internet in your area.

www.charter.com
kahfess

join:2015-01-24
Colbert, GA

Re: Charter Cable

Thanks. They haven't run anything down our road, but they are within a few miles of us. I have contacted them, and they even called me back, so we shall see if anything comes of it.
AZinOH

join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH

Re: Charter Cable

Just out of curiosity, what make/model modem are you using and how old is it? Have you ever asked for a replacement? I used to have problems similar to yours with the Speedstream 4200 & 4300 modems. They were unreliable and prone to overheating. I've had fewer difficulties since getting a Sagem 1704N.

Review by mark40511 See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "Consistent *most* of the time and no caps"
Bad "Some weird laggy moments"
Overall "Good if you live in Lexington because of competition with Time Warner"

·Windstream
I have been with DSL since 2004 in Lexington KY. It was Alltel, then became Windstream. I've had 3 mb, 6mb, 12mb, and now 24 mb service. My 24/2 service is bonded. When upgrading to the 24/2 , a tech was sent out. The first tech wasn't very good at all. He ended up cutting the line which made my connection speed slower and intermittent......A new tech came out and he was MUCH better. He found the cut after a bit of searching and repaired it. Over the past 5 months or so of having 24/2, my connection has been mosty great with some bumps along the way, but those were fixed quickly. No matter what time of day, I get 24/2 on speedtests, but once in a while (especially recently) there are these weird LAGGY periods where everything seem to come to a halt, but it doesn't last very long and it's back to normal. I have to wonder if it's because of the work they are doing on widening a road outside my subdivision. Who knows? Even still, I think it's pretty consistent. I just wish that if Windstream is doing some type of work in our area that could cause these lag periods, at least let us know with a recording on the phone when we call tech support, because tech support doesn't always know what's going on locally at the CO...

There was a time after a few months that I had an issue of slower than normal speeds. I logged into the Comtrend and noticed one of the lines had lower than usual #'s. The same great tech came out and said he ran a new line, that would later be buried. Finally 2 or 3 weeks later, the company came to bury the line, and they didn't hook it up at the pedestal correctly! Luckily, I had the tech's # and called him. He came out and fixed it and he said he has never seen such a mess in his life that the contractor's who buried the cable left. He said he was sorry and cleaned it up.....

At any rate, all is relatively well now.

Will update if anything changes.

Comments:

Shannon A Sa

@windstream.net

Internet service

I hate windstream , iam canceling all my windstream services wifi never works 80%
Of the time

Review by joninatl See Profile

• Location: 30680-8358
Bad "Continual Dropped Connections"
Overall "Get 2 cans and a string"

I work from home. I'm in the CIO's office for a MAJOR international computer company.

I spend my days connected to the company's VPN accessing remote servers, internal VOIP calls and meetings.

Two weeks ago I started having problems with dropped DSL connections, requiring me to re-boot the modem each time. Of course this knocks me off the VPN and any internal services I'm connected to.

According to Windstream's own numbers, my DSL has dropped over 40 times in the past two weeks.

They sent a tech to my home who reported the problem was not here, but on their end and opened an internal ticket.

That was a week ago.

The problem continues and call after call, posts to the 'direct support' forum here, and an "escalation to level 2" support has resulted in ZERO replies other than "there is no estimate for resolution" and "we'll let you know".

As I sit here looking at my bill, I wonder, should I just send it in saying "There is no estimate for when my payment will be sent"? Since that seems to be an acceptable answer for them to give... it should be more than adequate for them to receive.

Comments:

Review by harphauler See Profile

• Location: Union,Cass,NE
Good "A basically solid connection"
Bad "Speed is horrible. Unusable for anything except email, basic web browsing."
Overall "I have few choices at the "unlimited download/upload" level - as soon as a new provider shows up - I will switch."

As this is a rural area and Windstream being the only game in town our situation is basically hopeless. The only good thing I can say is that we rarely have a dropped connection in the four plus years we've had Windstream. Although Windstream advertises a 10x1 connection in the area, no one that I know of seldom achieves more than 1 meg down on a good day. We have a 3x.7 connection and most of the time get .05 - .3 meg down (yes that's point zero five!) and .2 - .5 meg up. More often than not we have a faster upload speed than down and that's during low use periods, say 5 AM. I often connect via my cell phone just to do online banking. We would love to join the rest of the world with a decent broadband connection that isn't capped. At $64/month we feel the price is too high for the speed we receive vs. what we're paying for since it's hardly better than dial-up.

member for 88 days, 7 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

UnhappyPappy

@71.31.48.x

Windstream Dialup Subscription Service

That's right! You can have blazing fast internet speeds so long as you're not a Windstream customer. With Windstream you'll pay for DSL and get dial up speeds. I kid you not.

You know, I realize that every company out there embellishes their performance data. That is a given. But, as of this date, I have found no worse liar than Windstream. Even the service guys hate them. They take so much crap from customers these days they don't hesitate to throw Windstream under the bus.

The most recent problem was a local router that was serving our end of the county. They overloaded the system with more customers than the router could handle. People complained. We hear you Windstream said, we'll fix it. It took over a year to get the router replaced (with a used piece of sh_t from Arkansas). With much fanfare they rolled it out then ran like hell. Within one week the "new" router was in the same shape as the old one.

I would tell anyone to avoid Windstream like the plague they are. Their CEO will eventually destroy the company and, in a telling move that is as providential as it is suspicious, recently stepped down to allow a ninth inning pitcher onto the mound for the loss. Ex CEO Gardner knows damned well what he's done and doesn't intend to hang around to take the heat when things head south. With all their acquisitions of late it won't be long before the "winners curse" steps in and knocks Windstream down to size. If history is any indicator once one of these acquisitions crap out, like they always do, the unraveling process will begin and that will be the end of Windstream. I would add that it cannot happen soon enough or to a more worthy ISP.

Windstream's story is the same old worn out ditty where an all smiles CEO concerns himself with nothing but share price. That's how he gets his bonuses. But, in the process of doing all the things he needs to do to elevate the share price he must ignore the underlying core business and focus on nothing but boosting share price and (I gag at this) value. It all looks pretty for awhile then one of the acquisitions that lied through their teeth to find someone willing to buy their dog suddenly falls under its own weight (never believe a company's financial statements).

Personally, I can't wait. I'm a stock trader who desperately needs a reliable high speed internet connection which, in all the time I've been with Windstream, they've never been able to provide. I intend to wait patiently, bide my time and when it hits the fan I'm going to short their stock down into Pink Sheet land. You poor saps who've invested in this dog better take a good look and be ready to divest yourselves in a moments notice. When it goes pop it'll all be over in about a week minus the crying. The crying starts once the bloodletting stops and all those folks who bought WIN as a long term investment realize that they now are holding a bag of stock they bought at $8 bucks that is now trading in the 50 cents a share range. Don't take my word for it. Look at what these clowns have done for the sake of stock holders at the expense of their customers.

Once in a while this works out but it won't this time and Gardner knows it that's why he's bailing out now. Windstream needing a new "fresh perspective" to lead it into the future is pure hot air. His heir apparent is another Windstream insider, Tony Thomas, former CFO of Windstream- so much for fresh perspective. 2015 looks to be the year of the long overdue stock market correction. A great time to cash in your stock options and head for the beach. I hope Thomas has nerves of steel. By the end of 2015 he'll need them.
jerminy11

join:2011-12-27
Texarkana, AR

Re: Windstream Dialup Subscription Service

Sucks for both of you. Windstream has upgraded my area 3 times in the last 5 years. I have the 24 down and 3 up service and I get 26 down and 3.5 up at all times

@71.28.236.x

Re: Windstream Dialup Subscription Service

I would guess that you live in or near a town. Am I right? You see, they play the 80/20 game. If they can keep 80% of their customers happy, screw the other 20% (I actually believe it's closer to 60/40). Upgrades around small cites and towns are cheaper to do and keep the 80% very happy. The 20% are held as a captive income stream because they monopolize the markets they go into as a rule. They service my county and everyone who uses the service in the nearest large town enjoys great service. But there they have at least three other competitors in the high speed market so rates are cheap because the infrastructure has been maintained by Comcast,a small local telecom, Dish- a bunch of competitors really. Out where I live they got a no bid contract to service the rural areas. Absolutely zilch in the way of improvements or upgrades.

They're a horrible company with horrible leadership and they screw the daylights out of those least able to fight back. The crap they're doing works for a little while but in the end it always catches up. Mark my words, this chump CEO who just stepped down knows what's coming and he doesn't intend to be standing at the helm when all hell breaks loose.

Re: Windstream Dialup Subscription Service

I was told for a year here in Blairsville Ga my area was going to be upgraded then was told sorry your area will not be upgraded and their is no more Stimulus Money.
.5 up three down max.
AckAck

join:2011-06-02

Re: Windstream Dialup Subscription Service

Stimulus money? WTF Windstream? There are other sources of money, you know.

@windstream.net

Re: Windstream Dialup Subscription Service

I don't know about stimulus money but that's a separate issue. Companies have to invest their own money to build infrastructure which is something Windbag sorely hates to do. That's why they sell stock. The reason is simple. All the upgrades they do to the existing infrastructure could be to the advantage of a competitor who waltzes in after the money is spent and begins to take market share away.

If Windbag was a truly innovative company able to compete this wouldn't bother them a bit. But, to look at it another way, would pave the way for a company who has the potential to knock your ass out of the ballpark? Like I said and will keep saying, Windstream is the dirtiest, lowest, crappiest ISP in the United States.

Blairsville, GA
Forgot to mention now my Google searches are being Hijacked and redirected through Windstream search!

mark40511

join:2004-10-12
Lexington, KY

I have 24/2 Bonded DSL in Lexington KY

and I have GREAT speeds all the time.....But I believe every word you're saying and I'm very sorry that you have no other options. I think in KY they have something called KY broadband initiative in the works - meaning they are running fiber "starting" in rural areas with cities being last (since cities already have decent broadband), and the goal is to ultimately have all of KY with fiber - at least, that's my understanding......It's desperately needed for each state's economy. Hopefully each state has something like this in the works.... These monopolies our killing our internet in this country, and the rural area's have it the worst.....

I still wonder - even small towns have powerful people and I often wonder to myself what they do for internet? Government officials , etc. They get online too. Windstream is all that's available to them as well.

Re: I have 24/2 Bonded DSL in Lexington KY

Government officials usually get special treatment!!

Review by bjordan See Profile

• Location: Winterville,Clarke,GA
Good "Tech support and tech dispatch are top-notch - Cannot ask for any better service or folks"
Bad "The cost for my service is outrageous "
(ratings well above consensus)

The services I have include a business line with ADSL and an EIA (Ethernet to internet access) of 3Mx3M. The cost was stated up front - nothing hidden in fine print. The sales process and special circuit install met the agreed time frame. The times I have had trouble - the telephone support and the on-site support have been very good.

CPE is a Hatters box with 4-ports - 3-ports with cards. I purchased a Zywall USG 20W router to manage the wired/wireless access. Main system use is Video Conf for training employees across the Globe - which is spotty at 2.7M during high traffic times - even with dedicated copper to my building from the CO.

Other than the speed of the service / speed versus cost of 10MB $800+/month is too high for my blood. At this time I do not have choices.

Comments:

Review by sh67 See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "Connection can be consistently saturated at advertised speeds."
Bad "Occasional connection drops for unknown reasons."
Overall "Overall, the service itself is fine. For customer support, use the direct contact forums here."

I ordered the 24/2 service advertised at around $50 per month. Over the first month or two after installation, I had to have a technician come to my home and either replace the modem or spend time on the phone with Windstream trying to sort out connection issues. This happened probably 4 or 5 times. Since then, I've had very reliable service at the advertised speeds.

I was provided a Comtrend 3100 G.bond modem with a built-in wireless 802.11n router.

I've been pleased with the service. The main reason I switched to DSL from cable is because my cable connection would slow to a crawl in the evenings. In my opinion, this was due to overselling on the cable ISP's part. With Windstream, I have had no such troubles.

Comments:

Review by jtimleck See Profile

• Location: Baltimore,Baltimore City,MD
  • Telco party Cavalier
Good "Cheap, DSL vs. fiber means it's available to many "
Bad "Dropped connections, tech support at level 2 don't pay attention, treat you like you are stupid"
Overall "Get if on a budget and need VERY basic connectivity"

We got this as a bundle package with our telephone several years ago. It's worked pretty decent but when we transitioned from Cavalier PAETEC telephone over to Windstream, we have had problems. Our Max download speed dropped by more than half, and our upload speed went to a measly .3 Mb per second. We've also had consistent issues with DNS configurations on their end. Recent calls to the tech department for support, where we verified our telephone to reach us when there was a response, we're met with calls made to unknown numbers. So, when an issue was being resolved they weren't even calling our phone number. Even when we corrected this they still used some random number. I even verified this through the notes made into our ticket.worse however was the resolution or recent issues.

When working to resolve our inability to travel out there DNS server, I was told that "we can ping your device, and we can see all kinds of things connected to it!" so what? It was an inference like we had set up our network in a way that was preventing us from going through their DNS server! Rather, the issue was their DNS server wasn't working. So when they hard set our DNS to a new number, it still didn't work. Why? Because the also reset our permission to use the network but didn't tell us. So, without browser settings to block pop ups, we never got to welcome you to Windstream screen, and so couldn't get on the net! but because I didn't have her phone number right they weren't telling us they even fixed it. So I only discovered this when I randomly chose Firefox instead of Safari as my browser.so fix this, went to edit the The modem settings, wasn't happy with them so I reset the modem. Come to find out this reset the supposedly hard reset DNS settings, back to the ones that don't work! Ugh! how is this possible! And again anytime things have actually been corrected they've not called back (To be fair they did reach out once).

Overall the current experience and not having Internet for three days and this happened three times in the past two months, has us shopping around. It's not a bargain if it doesn't work. And the system is set up to be supposedly idiot proof but that prevents non-idiots from being able to adjust settings, to get correct responses from tech-support, and get the job fixed when is a problem. Consumers are idiots, and little one tech-support is fundamentally a dinosaur/a thing of the past ("Did you unplug your modem and restart it?" YES! and I pinged you gateway and had packet loss and your DNS servers aren't working etc...."Oh, well I don't know way thing about that - only the techs at the next level" = A WASTE OF MY TIME). Oh, and a modem isn't a router btw just so you all know.

So get it if you can tolerate spotty service and meager speeds. It is a bargain compared to many other providers. But it ain't no good if it don't work and it can't be fixed.

UPDATE Dec. 2, 2014

Three days later and STILL not resolved. DNS servers DO NOT work, Gateway and DNS server settings keep being dropped by modem, leaving it "blank". Unable to do ANYTHING. "Support" keeps asking me to "open tickets" - I do but the techs "fix them" by doing things like hard setting my modem (again) with the WRONG, UNWORKING, DNS Servers (again) leaving me to MANUALLY CORRECT their work (again). They are saying things like "We can see your modem, everything seems fine!" - its not about seeing the modem - it's about getting access through YOUR GATEWAY the OTHER DIRECTION that MATTERS dip..... I can ping my butt off to your gateway but I need to go THROUGH IT.

Baltimore is basically screwed because the city made a deal with Comcast in 2004 to be the major provider and prevented competition coming or developing infrastructure (and they didn't win the Google Fiber bid they had hoped for 4 years ago.) Now Comcast chargers $1000 more per year for cable internet than folks who live in Annapolis, 40 miles away, and get speeds ONE THIRD of those residents. Oh, and don't even think about FiOS - Verizon basically sees Baltimore as one big "hood" - not worthy of investing in and they are hobbled by the Comcast deal as well. Hell, you can't even get Verizon DSL. Even CLEARWIRE WiMax was bought by Sprint and they stopped selling that too. So, great, left with Windscream it seems...Unbelievable. 21st century on the rest of the planet but Amurika knows how to live like it's 1950.

SO yeah... basically had it at this point. It's 3:47 AM, I have a HUGE multi-million dollar grant review due to my boss and couldn't get it done this weekend because of this utterly ridiculous circus. Oh, and I requested some compensation since I'm paying almost $2/day for no service and it's been down more than a week this past month. Wanna know what I was told??? "OK... I'm making a note of that... Call back when it's resolved and we can check on that." WTF? What is there to discuss? F is for FAIL

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Comcast Time?

Looks like it's time to find another provider.. Windstream looks as bad as Centurynolink.

I think Concast is in the local area.

Also look into fixed wireless

»wispdirectory.com/index.php?opti ··· temid=53

Review by Aaronb See Profile

• Location: Santa Cruz,Santa Fe,NM
Good "Nothing "
Bad "Not enough room to list "
Overall "Absolutely ridiculous "

The most worthless expensive constantly dropping service you will ever have the pleasure of having i guarantee it.
Dropped about 8 time before i could finish this little review.
Constant drops 15 months an counting

member for 2.6 years, 217 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Brian MFn C

@67.140.151.x

9 hours to load 32 minutes worth of video

seriously you claim to provide high speed internet and I had dial up faster than this bullshit 9 f**kin hours to load 32 minutes of video if I had the gas I would drive to the call center and strangle every support technician the hell out.
jtimleck

join:2008-12-24
Baltimore, MD

Re: 9 hours to load 32 minutes worth of video

Best.Review.Ever. (a fellow sufferer)

Review by elektro21 See Profile

• Location: Saint Paris,Champaign,OH

inconsistent service, pings are all over the place, Service goes out randomly for over 24 hr periods

Comments:

Info

@207.87.177.x

Complaint form for FCC

If enough people fill an Internet complaint form out, maybe the FCC will look into them.

»consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en ··· hc/en-us
Aaronb

join:2012-07-26
Santa Cruz, NM

Re: Complaint form for FCC

that won't do anything the fcc is just as worthless as windstream