Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by LostInWoods See Profile

• Location: Baldwin,Banks,GA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Better than dialup"
Bad "Raising prices, declining service, and no other option."
Overall "I'd love to have an option to look at"

Update Nov 2014: The price keeps going up and the service is worsening. I've been lucky in that my area seems not to have enough demand to be terribly oversold the way Windstream like to do, but it does bog down at night sometimes, causing Netflix to pause and such. I can't get HD video on my poor bandwidth, but it usually works. It's irritating that they started charging me the 6.50 fee for long distance interconnect when I still have a Greenstreak line that doesn't support long distance. And the DSL rate has gone up 5 bucks. So I'm shelling out about $11 more now than two years ago for service that is degrading.

I see people on here complain about Windstream vs the local cable company. I'd love to have that problem.

Update Feb 2012: I don't recall exactly when it was last year, but after upgrading to 3 Mbits I found that the service would get very flaky, particularly after it rained. A service tech eventually re-provisioned my line to cut 20% of the downstream and 50% of the upstream bandwidth to get it more solid. And it is, but I'm still paying full price. Which is about to go up a *bunch*. With no competition, what's a monopoly to do except raise the price?

Update 1 Mar 2011: I upgraded to 3 Mbit service at the end of 2009 after WS upgraded the RT and removed a bridge tap from my line. It seems fine - I almost always get the test speeds I pay for. Once again I had to find out for myself that faster speeds were available.

My only negative comment is rather touchy-feely, and I'm not sure I should include it. I seem to have to reload web pages a LOT lately; this is a behavior that I didn't really notice at first, so I'd guess it started sometime in 2010. I really noted it when our new office at work began using WS business DSL and I started seeing the same thing there. It's as if some packets get lost in the network, though I've never put Wireshark on it to verify that. Sometimes I wonder whether all the mergers and upheaval at WS have caused their network to become less stable. Overall it's nothing I can put my finger on, nor really downgrade the overall service for.

Update 30 Nov 2006: Everything works fine, but I stirred the puddin' and have a bit of a billing mess. Windstream was advertising my tier of DSL for $25, so I called them up to have it applied. They would not just switch me to the new rate, but they did give me $120 + tax credit (one year's worth of the difference) that paid my phone/DSL bill for a couple of months. Shortly after that credit was used up, I got double-billed for DSL because there was confusion about the credit being applied. Then this month I got a bill where I was credited for the previous mistake, then apparently not billed for DSL at all. The next bill may just be an adventure!

At least the CSRs are nice and helpful and intelligible. I've always thought that Alltel/Windstream have very helpful folks on the phone, but I'm glad I've not had any real problems.

Original Review:

I happened to check my number for DSL availability after last checking in July. I was amazed to see that it was available. One star for pre-sales - why was I not informed that it was available? I've been on the list over two years! This is north Banks county, about 5 miles south of Baldwin, between US441 and GA105.

The order and ISP setup went great. I really enjoyed the fact that I could understand everyone I talked to at Alltel - no offshored support! That's something I would switch ISPs over. I also appreciated that the ISP CSR knew precisely what info I needed and did not treat me like an idiot.

The modem arrived right on time, and the service was turned on right on time as well. Setup was a snap, but I knew I didn't need help. I gave 3 stars for the Services since they don't offer 3 Mbit here, at least not yet. I'm probably too far from the RT anyway, but it's nice to have the option. Value for money is 4 stars because the service in this area is $5 more than they advertise on the website. $35 for 1536/384 dynamic IP, with the modem handling the PPPOE. I get about 1200/300, which is what I expected.

The Speedstream 4200 modem does not appear to support telnet or SNMP, so my desire to map SNR, attenuation, bytes moved, etc... using MRTG will have to go unrequited unless I learn something new. Not a big deal, but still...

member for 10.7 years, 1696 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by oldiron64 See Profile

this company has to be the worst piece of crap that ever claimed to be a communications provider. Service is not much better than 2 cans and a string. If you have ANY other choices please use them.

Comments:

Review by ddavis1202 See Profile

• Location: Wellford,Spartanburg,SC
Good "Local Service Techs"
Bad "Horrible speed"
Overall "Only use if they are your last option"

I have had Windstream for a little over a year. I have never received the advertised speed I have been paying for. Sales sold me 6MB service when I moved into my home and when they finally came to install, they said I could only get 1MB server. Since I work in server administration, I accepted the 1MB service since I have nothing else available to me. However, on most days, I was lucky to get 200K down and 100K up. After numerous calls, over a period of a few months and many canned excuses from support, one of the reps said "You should be on our 6MB service, that will help your issue out". Although skeptical, I agreed and they had it provisioned within a couple of days. Well things worked great during not peak hours, but anytime after 3pm, the speed would die back down to around 200K DL speeds or lesss. So more calls with support and they dispatch a tech who finally tells me the area is oversubscribed and that support never should have even sold me 6MB and he dropped my service down to 3MB. In addition, the tech told me there was absolutely nothing else they could do to resolve my issue...that I was basically stuck with my poor service until they decide to upgrade the DSLAM.

I would bail so fast if I had the option....Charter cable is about 3/4 mile from my address...maybe one day they will expand their coverage area.

Comments:
kpatt2006

no competition, no hope

Oversubscribed areas with no competition, that's the Windstream way. I've been battling that since November 2011. Since they still have no competition here, they still haven't upgraded their equipment for us to actually hit 3 mbps. Everyday speeds of less than 0.60mbps. Now, they have permanetely dropped us to the 1 mbps and says 3 is no longer available. So now I'm seeing speeds around 0.25 or less downloads and constant disconnections because it isn't fast enough to even recognize that it's even connected to the internet. Windstream has told me each year that upgrades are planned/on the way, but it never happens. As of today, equipment upgrades are scheduled here for early 2015...yea, right.

Review by Black_Mage See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Decent price"
Bad "I dealt with a lot of outages and didn't always getting advertised speed"
Overall "Only choose Windstream if it's your only choice"

Update Nov 1 2014

I no longer have service with Windstream because I got tired of outages. In the 2 years of service, I had a total outage time of a little over a month. Totally unacceptable for someone who uses their Internet connection as much as me. I was willing to tolerate not always getting the advertised speed. Getting no service was a deal breaker. The only reason I give tech support 4 stars is because of the great support I received from this forum.

member for 2.3 years, 952 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
SnakeDoctor

join:2013-07-22
King, NC

You were Lucky

I have good service in the past. In the last two years my service quality is sorry. I called the Attorney Generals office in N.C. to file a formal complaint. I suggest you do the same if you can not get your problems resolved. Calling the Utilities Commission here in NC will not get things resolved. Call the AG.

Black_Mage
iMage
join:2012-09-12
USA

Re: You were Lucky

Since Internet service is still considered a luxury, I don't know what the AG will be able to do.

Review by kpatt2006 See Profile

• Location: Greensburg,Green,KY
Good "LOL seriously?"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Avoid"

Absolutely the worst company I've ever been forced to use in my life. Been looking at houses to get out of this area and away from Windstream, but until then, I'm forced to be connected with Windstream. A latency outage started up in 2011. There has been countless phone calls made to Windstream tech support asking for answers. Almost every time I called, I would get different answers or no answers at all. Finally, using dslreports.com, I got the answer that this latency outage in my area was to be fixed sometime in 2013. So that is how much Windstream cares about their customers. Since they have no competition in this area, letting customers get less than 30% of the service they pay for on a daily basis for 2 years is no big deal or risk for them. Yes, on a daily basis I get less than 30% of the speed that is being paid for. I actually cannot believe this company is still in business. I guess it's because they target remote areas that will have no competition in ISP providers, oversell the area so no one gets the service they're paying for, and still charge as much as they want to knowing that their customers have no alternatives except to relocate their families to a better area.

UPDATE: Worse and worse, this company is getting. There is no way that the way they run this company can be legal. How do they still exist? Will the FTC do anything about it? I'll attach the latest speedtest screenshot from today, which was 0.12mbps download speeds. I can't even browse the internet or load email. It was about 12:30pm when I ran the test, but it was unusable a few hours before that, and it will be that bad until around 2 a.m., then it might hit 2.0mbps. The latest info from them is "we would know more in Q1 2015, but as of now, upgrades are still planned in 2015 for my area." They said they would have to check the budgets and see if it still works. LOL. I think when you spend nothing on upgrades for so long, charge the same overpriced cost, you're going to have enough budget if you actually wanted to upgrade. They don't though, they still have no competition. SCRTC is suppose to be coming into my county next year, which is why Windstream has kept pushing back their upgrades until they are in danger of losing their customers to another option. The absolute best speed my internet can reach now, 1mbps at 3 a.m... 30% of the speed I'm paying for. Am I getting a 70% discount? HAHA YEAH RIGHT

»www.speedtest.net/result/3838244573.png

member for 2.4 years, 342 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Fixed sometime in 2013?? WTF

"Latency outage in my area was to be fixed sometime in 2013?"

Talk about hillbilly internet!!!

I know there are based in Pulaski Little Rock but come on... Can't fix a fixable common issue until next year. Ridiculous...

Might want to look at »www.hughesnet.com/index.cfm?page···ing#gen4

Re: Fixed sometime in 2013?? WTF

I had Hughes net before I could get DSL and the latency is crazy. There is no online gaming or streaming of Netflix with 500-800ms latency. Yes, 2 whole years just for Windstream to upgrade their equipment. They have no problem still selling out internet service though because my grandma lives right down the road from me, doesn't have a computer, but Windstream calls her up every so often asking her to sign up for Windstream "high-speed" internet service! Haha gosh. It's getting worse too as time is going by because earlier this year, around 2am when my speed would actually be at 3.0mbps, my latency would be 45ms ping. Now, my speed doesn't hit 3.0mbps even at 2 or 3am, only a maximum of 2.4mbps at 98ms ping.
totalradio

join:2007-09-15
·Suddenlink

No such animal.

As a retired CenturyTel (now CenturyLink) employee, I dealt in DSL mostly for residential & business customers in my area. There is no such animal as a "latency outage". This is a phrase that Alltel (now Windstream) uses (and invented) to describe a problem they don't (or won't) know how to fix. 99% of the time, its usually bad outside plant because they don't (or won't) maintain it. In areas they purchased, the plant was already bad, and is getting worse.

Windstream really can't afford to make massive upgrades (or maintenance) to the plant because their balance sheet is still in the toilet from all of the purchases they've made over the years. Only when they're HEAVILY pressured, will they do anything to improve your service. Myself, I currently live in a Windstream area, but with their shoddy service and non-existent support (if you can call it that), I'm moving back to where I used to live where I had AT&T. At least where I used to live, AT&T worked very well.

All Windstream will do is pay lip service to you and when they're questioned by the press, lip service will be paid to them as well. I remember a time (last year), they used to troll around on here trying to "solve customer problems", when in fact, they couldn't (or wouldn't). You don't seen them on here anymore.

I feel your pain. Just roll with the flow until you move.

Review by jguillen80 See Profile

• Location: Espanola,Rio Arriba,NM
Good "CSR in local office was nice and eager to help me"
Bad "I have called cust. svc over 15 times to try and get faster connection. They say anything to get you off the phone"
Overall "Worst isp ever! If I had another choice I would take it"

I have been trying to get the 12 mbps package for since i first started svc. I have called 15-20 times already over the last 3 weeks. First they said I didn't qualify because of my address, I told them i have a different physical address than my mailing. they said they would check into the new address to see if i could get any faster speed. I waited for a call back after the rep said they would call me to let me know if it was possible. Waited a week and nothing. Called and called the following week and it was excuse after excuse about this and that. Finally Last Friday(10/10/14) the rep told me he put in the order to upgrade my speed but it wouldn't go into effect till Monday since i called later in the afternoon. Monday(10/13/14) came and went and I finally called in the afternoon and the rep said that it would be switched over first thing in the morning. Tuesday(10/14/14) morning passed while I played with the router, resetting it and stuff. So I finally called a little after noon and the rep said that it will go into effect by 5 PM. I called about 3 hrs later and the next rep said it will go into effect by 7 pm. I said to my self they are just telling me this to get me off the phone and stop bugging. Well after 7 pm I started a chat session with tech support . she is supposed to call me in the AM so we can 3 way customer svc again and finally get this taken care of. I seriously doubt it but we will see. If it doesn't happen by tomorrow(10/15/14) Im gonna raise a stink with the BBB the state of NM and the FTC. I am sick and tired of the way they treat customers in rural areas just because they are the only show in town!!!

Comments:

Review by coldmoon See Profile

• Location: Broadway,Lee,NC
Good "Tech support personnel are honest and do the best they can"
Bad "Reliably slow, grossly overpriced, heavily over-subscribed "
Overall "Total lack of competitive pressures leads to high prices with poor service"

Completely overpriced for the service they deliver. Network is over-subscribed to such a degree that watching simple YouTube videos comes with extreme buffering, making the service useless for anything other than checking e-mail and working on on-line forums that have no video content.and this is on a 3M account (highest they provide in my area).

If this is broadband, you might be better off using carrier pigeon...

If this provider is the only one available in an area you are thinking of moving to, look for your new home elsewhere; you will be thankful you did!

member for 12.9 years, 2335 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Cine

Class action suit

Ok, so when is someone going to take up our cause? They sold me a bill of goods they can't deliver. They have a bad rep for selling in areas they don't have equipment to service properly. I can't even sit down with my iPad and do a Google search without having to wait, like in land line days. Forget Xbox or YouTube. Before you buy a house, make sure you have choices. Verizon, where are you when I need you? And where is our knight in shining armour lawyer. This is one that can be won!
GearheadX

join:2010-05-11
Hilliard, FL

Re: Class action suit

We can't file a class action lawsuit because of the terms of service we all signed. We can, on the other hand, contact the FCC and our local news outlets.
totalradio

join:2007-09-15
·Suddenlink

Poor Service

The problem with Windstream is that when they purchased the smaller telcos, they bought them (knowingly or not) with the infrastructure in poor or horrible shape. It costs quite a bit to replace long stretches of cable, or in some cases, they have inadequate circuits feeding their DSLAMS. When the DSLAMS are at their capacity, they can't (or won't) upgrade the circuits feeding the DSLAMS because that's also expensive. So they keep selling DSL in those areas until the DSLAM gets full. By that time, everyone on that DSLAM notices extremely slow speeds. Couple that with bad cable in the area, and the problem becomes worse. Windstream knows this, and they keep selling DSL in those areas, and they should know better. Windstream simply cannot afford to make even moderate repairs in those areas as Windstream's balance sheet is horrible. They are concentrated on paying down their massive debt, which is nearly crushing the company because they don't have the cash to make any capex.

However, getting the media involved really won't do any good, since all Windstream does is pay lip service to the media. Unless the media aggressively follows up on the problem in a particular area, Windstream simply waits until the attention dies down, and its back to business as usual. Depending on your location, contacting your state's Attorney General may prove fruitless too. Windstream usually contributes to most state AG's, so nothing gets done, as that state's AG may turn a blind eye to their practices.

If you think Windstream might be advertising their service and constantly fails to provide them, even moderately, may I suggest a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). They deal in false & deceptive advertising and can move against Windstream more aggressively. They have the power to make them either deliver proper services, or stop advertising services they can't deliver. The FTC can also file suit against Windstream (on behalf of customers) for failure to follow FTC orders. Since DSL is a de-regulated product, complaining to your state Public Service Commission, or like equivalent won't do any good. Complaining to the FCC probably won't do any good either, unless it involves problems with your telephone service. Even if Windstream tells the FTC "yeah, yeah, yeah, we'll work with our customers and deliver what we promise", except the FTC will aggressively follow up to make sure that they do and won't stop until they do one or the other. The FTC has more power that most federal agencies, except the EPA or IRS, possesses.

So, if you complain to the FTC, make sure you have a copy of what they're advertising, and proof of the service that you currently receive. If the FTC gets enough complaints, they will look into the matter.

nunyabiz

windstream (shitstream) sucks!

If only, if only there was some computation; I would leave these folk so fast. . . I've endured the monopoly for 9long years, and it's never been anything but sucky. If I had to rate it with numbers, I would have to use large exponents! Fuck windstream!

Review by MooJohn See Profile

• Location: Milledgeville,Baldwin,GA
Good "Extremely reliable, get full rated speeds"
Bad "Speed is nowhere near cable options"
Overall "No complaints after 13 years of service"

13 years of WS DSL and still cranking. They finally rolled out faster (than 3 meg) speeds in my area and I couldn't reach the 12 meg due to signal strength but I'm a very solid 6 meg. Had to retire the old Cisco 678 for the speed increase, replaced by a Sagemcom 1704 with built-in wireless.

What was a rocky start to the upgrade was fixed by local techs who finally figured out why I wasn't able to top 3 meg. It was a combination of bad lines (outside the house) and other issues on their end. I now get my full rated speed any time of day and have no complaints.

Direct support here @ DSLR was a very nice experience. It probably made the difference between me sticking with WS and saying F-it, I'm going to Charter when I had difficulties with the upgrade.

Having said that, I get 30 meg cable at my business for the same price I pay for 6 meg DSL at home so I will eventually move to them for telephone & internet too. If they allowed DIY install like Windstream does I'd be a cable customer now but they still roll a truck for every new internet customer as if people are too stupid to connect the cable and a power brick.

-----------------

Update of 10/13/2014

My Windstream is still chugging along at 6 meg. Reliability is pretty good and speed is stable. Having said that, I could get 60 meg internet and unlimited telephone service from Charter for $30 less per month than Windstream 6 meg costs now. While the price is compelling I still won't switch because I don't have time to deal with their install.

member for 9.1 years, 3552 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Joe124589

@windstream.net

Technical support in Pittsburg are idiots

After an hour Cheryl hung up on me, Jeff gave me the wrong password 2 hrs of listening to dolts trying to speak but just being silent most of the time Can't they train people with an IQ above moron? They are the only isp so I have no choice. Maybe India is a better idea

lil brandon

windstream

we have had windstream for a year and in the past 6 months it is just crappy. every ten to twenty minutes the internet sign on the router goes off and then either my xbox live gets disconnected or my computer gets disconnected. its really frustrating cause i have been waiting for them to fix it for months and i have fallen behind on my school work because of me being homeschooled. i just hope they fix it before i eventually get kicked out of school.

Review by BoZee See Profile

• Location: Sweeny,Brazoria,TX
Good "Does not cap usage, claims to only throttle down speed for all users on heavy usage."
Bad "Speed is never at speed we're signed up for and often is ancient dial-up speed or lower."
Overall "Use any other Internet provider if at all possible. "

Windstream unpredictably will operate at dial-up speed or slower for weeks at a time, despite us paying for a 3-Mbps connection. I hate to think of the speed of those with regular connections. Any high bandwidth service such as video is unusable most of the time, despite us paying a premium monthly rate. Tech Support is courteous and tries to be helpful, but they are apparently not kept in the loop by the corporation or are told to lie.

Comments:

Disappointed

@98.20.38.x

Bad Service

They charge 93 a month lifetime for phone and Internet. How ever we have problems with both. I assume they drafted this company to handle rural areas to have some sort of service on occasion. They should be deducted for services not provided.

Review by badd See Profile

• Location: De Queen,Sevier,AR
Good "Up Time is Fantastic"
Bad "Once again cs reps are dumber than dirt. Where did they dig up this latest batch."
Overall "Very well satisfied overall"
(ratings well above consensus)

Windstream in De Queen now has top tier of 12000/756. Service is outstanding 99% up time and speeds are really good. Upload speed changed to 756 Have had them since 2002 and have only been down 5 times. Four of them due to some idiot cutting the fiber optics cable. Other option is Cable and it sucks on price and service.

CS Reps were fine when Windstream first took over from Alltel then they Outsorced it and went to hell moved it back to USA and once again it was fine

Now it has gone to pot again. They are dumber than dirt........ Up date 9/13/2014 Still going strong here mo problems with speed or up time. Only two problems in past year and that was from some idiot cutting fiber optic cable both times. Back up same day both times.

Comments:

Comcastfan

@swbell.net

bait and switch

This company is a total fraud, I received printed flyers in the mail, talked to the service reps before switching from Comcast to Windstream. I was promised high speed internet for 29.99. I got my bill and it was over $110 plus $25 per month for the modem (which didn't work). They think high speed is 3mb download speed. They gave me 12MB after promising 24mb speed and charged me an additional $5. Their surcharges and other fees are outrageous. I was paying $53 a month for 50mb from Comcast. I have had this service for 2 days and am trying to cancel now. They told me they won't take back the modem and tons of other b.s. DO NOT USE THEM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE UNLESS YOU ENJOY GETTING RIPPED OFF.

Insane

@76.179.226.x

DSL

Why is DSL always capped at usually 768Kbps? Yours is 756Kbps which is slightly weird. It should be 1Mbps upload and they should utilize Annex M so you can get 3.5Mbps up.

switched to Windstream?

You switched from Comcast to Windstream? wooooooooooooooooow.