Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by rwinegar See Profile

• Location: Mifflinburg,Union,PA
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Online support ignores me "
Overall "I would switch ISP in a minute if I could."

Line speeds are all over the place. It works for a week or two. Down speeds of up to 12Mbps. Then for the next week or two down speeds fall to 3Mbps. Peak time line speeds ALWAYS drop drastically. I post on Windstream Direct Support Forum and do not get even the courtesy of a response. I am totally ignored. If Windstream had any competition in my area I would switch to a different ISP in a heartbeat. The service is over subscribed. Windstream denies this. But the evidence is all over the place. AVOID THIS ISP!!

Comments:

Bufferland

@windstream.net

Speeds are all over the place

Since 2010 Windstream has been telling me I am in a slow outage area and my DSL problems will be fixed next year.... I wish.

I would gladly switch if I could as well but of course there is nothing else available in other words Windstream is AWARE of our plight and refuse to do nothing because there is no competition in our area and you either are online or not.

Buffering is horrible a regular TV show from Hulu can take up to 2 hours to watch or more. I abandon most of my attempts due to buffering.

As for tech help they always want to send a repairman to your home under the threat that if it is in your wiring YOU will have to pay. It has never been in my wiring because they don't intend to honor their contract of one price for life they simply are so inept at providing service they are waiting us out to cancel our service so they can hook us up on a GB per month deal instead of unlimited.

That is underhanded and double dealing crooked stuff that as far as I can tell there is the only explanation for them not fixing the hot mess they call 3M DSL.

Review by Bobec See Profile

• Location: Jefferson,Jackson,GA
Good "When things work: they work well"
Bad "Inadequate/slow response to problems: Customer Service/Tech Support are virtually useless"
Overall "Caveat Emptor: It can be really good or really bad and take a long time to fix"

The good observation: Once Windstream gets you up and running, my experience for the first couple of years was mostly positive relative to the reliability of the connection and consistency of the speed.

The 'bad' observation: Whenever problems arise (plunging speeds during peak & evening hours, frequent disconnects, etc.) Windstream doesn't respond quickly and they either don't communicate to customers or they provide conflicting status updates. Tech Support CSR's will routinely close trouble tickets before problems are actually fixed, without validating with customers that normal service has been restored. You'll need to make multiple calls to report the same problem. Example: Last year my 12MB service (and service for many others in my part of the country) had been reduced to dial-up speed and the only response from Windstream was "We are evaluating the situation in 2012 for possible resolution sometime in 2013." Yet....Windstream continued to bill me for 12MB service that it did not provide for months! After calling in multiple trouble tickets and starting posts in the Windstream Forum without resolution, I contacted the office of Windstream CEO Jeff Gardner and...voila!!!...I got a call from a VP and the problems were resolved the next day. I also started receiving a $10 per month billing credit, which is supposed to last for a year. Still wondering why it took an email to the CEO to actually get something fixed.

Slow response to connectivity/speed problems, poor communication between various departments within Windstream, vague/infrequent responses to customer complaints, and weak procedures related to follow-up and problem resolution are the things that seem to characterize the Company.

I should note that the field technicians (the guys who come to your house to help diagnose/fix issues) have been very reliable and helpful---they seem to have accurate information about what the lines and DSLM can and cannot support in my area, they know if there are bigger issues impacting my area, and they know how to fix problems.

member for 13.8 years, 1876 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by foxsnipr See Profile

• Location: Waco,York,NE
Good "Lost all hope"
Bad "Lots of talk and empty promises, connections drop, usually provide 1/2 speed promised"
Overall "If there was another provider I would have switched a long time ago"

I've had service for several years now, everytime they upgrade they promise more DL speed, never UL speed. I signed up for 6mb DL and still am waiting and using 1.5mb. They keep promising but they still haven't made good on anything. They provide a router a Speedstream 4200, no one installs it, they mail it to you with instructions (thankfully I know how to plug it in). Tech support is sketchy, best to call late nights and get someone who knows what is going on, but is not able to do anything about it. day time all you get is promises and the usual 'it's not their fault'. Tonight I was at dial up speeds and tech support wasn't able to do anything. Getting a tech to come out is impossible, I've requested one and they find some excuse around it. Maybe they don't have anyone that actually works in the field on their stuff.

DL & UL 12 hours later have gone from good back to worse, in between dial up and 1mb. It appears that at certain times of the day is when these problems arise. You don't suppose Windstream needs upgrades or something?

See added comments

10-28-2009 The forum Tech Support is awesome! They were able to get things up and running, no problems. Thanks guys!

11-2011 Back to SSDD...called and asked about 12mb package for $5 and was told that my area it would cost $15/month more! Getting 1/3 DL speeds at best most of the time. Tech Support not being too responsive or committal. If I had any other options would change in a heartbeat.

01-2013 Same thing again....now 12 mb down is .70....if they can't keep up with cutomeers then offer them a refund

06-2013 Now being told July will be upgraded....no hope....will believe it when it happens.

04-2014 Month long equiptment problems...not another DSLAM going out I hope, the last one was 6 months of dialup speed and no offer to reimburse. Windstream gets federal subsidy, but gives questionable service.

Comments:
foxsnipr

join:2008-08-17

Windstream - poor choice

3-9-2013 same problems new chapter
have 12 mb and getting .06
Tier 2 Tech support on forums is no longer helpful, all they do is say the engineers are working on a solution then the upgrades are scheduled but not in near future.

Customer Service is DEPLORABLE, quality is DEPLORABLE. For the price of internet and phone of $90 ($72 for internet) you do not get anything close to what you pay for.

GeekMan

Same crap

I have been having a lot of issues lately as well. I have an Internet business, and I am also a City Councilman, we use WS for our Official Government office also and we deal with a lot of very important matters that have to be done online. I live about 2 blocks from our City Hall and both the City Hall and my personal house are on WS. I have not had internet at home for 3 weeks and I'm supposed to have the 12Mbs bundled with WS through Dish, we have a burst of about 0.7 Mbs every 13 or so hours that lasts about 2-20 minutes which may load facebook or gmail for a few minutes at a time but nothing close to what I am paying for.

At the City Hall we have very good internet right now but it gets disconnected once in a while. again, I only live about 2 blocks away so it's not in the lines. There was a two day period where we didn't have internet at the office last week.

We have called WS Customer Support three times this week and each time they tell us it's a service overload and that they are upgrading the lines to match the amount of customers they have. Finally two days ago they said they realized the reason I have no internet at home is because I was one of the 1200 unlucky people to be on a server that crashed and that yesterday morning around 6AM it would be fixed as they were putting in a new server. no change happened so that afternoon I called again and they said it would be midnight before we say a change, it's now 5:30 AM and the internet is letting me do Bing searches but I cannot even load youtube so this website is as much as I can load right now so I will be contacting them again at 9AM but I will be using the online Chat this time.

Review by JayA See Profile

• Location: Iola,Grimes,TX
Overall "Windstream Is Over Selling Bandwidth!!"

Bottom line is Windstream Communications is ripping off customers every where! I've been a customer for more years than I would like to admit but living in a rural area I have no other service! Windstream is piggy backing several customers on one line in order to sell DSL to more customers and it slows everyone on the line down! When I signed up I paid for and am paying for 3Mbs service the speeds never came close so I've complained for over two years and the story is the same! We are working on the system, We are aware of a problem in your area, We are working to upgrade the system over and over again! The highest speed I have ever reached was 1.31Mbs and now it is down to an average of .51Mbs and sometimes it's so bad I have to revert to my cell phone and when I'm roaming on my cell it's faster than the DSL, however I can not do many things on my small cell phone that I can do on my computer! My suggestion to any and all Windstream customers is, Call or go online and rteport this wishy washy company to your Attorney Generals office the more of us that get involved the better for every customer that has no other options other than sukey Windstream!

Comments:
totalradio

join:2007-09-15
·Suddenlink

I feel the pain.

Windstream does nothing but lie to its customers. In fact, a few of them used to troll this site claiming to "help" people, when in fact they couldn't (or wouldn't). They quit appearing here after a series of bad press stories hit the media, especially in Georgia, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky and Arkansas. The favorite lies they seem to be using in the past year are "they're working on the problem" or "latency outage". As a retired CenturyTel employee (now CenturyLink), Windstream isn't "working on the problem", except to make it worse and I would like for a Windstream troll to explain to me (and the rest of us) what a "latency outage" is. I've never heard of it (until Windstream started using that phrase), nor does it exist. But since they've run away from this site, I doubt I'll get an answer to that.

Since DSL is a deregulated product in most states, there's not much, if anything, the state of Texas can do. However, there is another avenue to try...

First, you might get the media in your area to do some stories on the problem. It was tried in the areas that I mentioned above, however it met with only very little success. The Windstream response was a predictable one...trotting out the talking heads and claiming "they're working on the problem and with their customers", when in fact they haven't. Another way is to contact the Federal Trade Commission. They regulate advertising of products, whether it be broadcast, print, or any other advertising. If Windstream is advertising a product, and they constantly do not provide it (in a reasonable amount), the FTC CAN step in and force Windstream to provide adequate service, or stop advertising their claims. That comes with a drawback. It might be cheaper for Windstream to stop advertising their claims and probably accomplish nothing, but one never knows.

On a lighter note, if nothing gets done, which is quite possible, I suggest taking up drinking. Windstream is nothing more than a fraud and their reviews here are proof of it.

Keep the faith !

Review by Broodwich See Profile

• Location: Branford,Suwannee,FL
Good "Absolutely Nothing"
Bad "Everything, its the only option where Im at for internet"
Overall "My ATT cell phone with 1 bar is at least 10x faster, stay away from Windscream"

I dont need to say much, So i will just say this. here is what $70 a month gets you with Windscream

Speedtest.com results:
Ping: 148
Download Speed: 0.18 mb/s (with a total of 10 tests average was around 0.26 mb/s from various times during the day) Keep in mind im paying for 6mb/s, the highest i have ever seen was 1.8mb/s)
Upload speed: Averages 0.36mb/s

Thats all I need to say. My little cheap windows phone is so much faster with 1-2 bars of service. This company used to be decent up until a couple of years ago when they decided to oversubscribe their shitty lines. They are running at least 5x more subscribers then they are set up for and were supposed to "update services" for the last 2 years, but it has been nothing but downhill.

If you can afford it stay away from this company like the plague, if you;re like me its unavoidable.

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3378141555

Comments:

Review by sam26 See Profile

• Location: Macon,Bibb,GA
Good "windstream doesn't know the meaning of the word"
Bad "the whole company is bad"
Overall "Dial-up is so much better"

March 17, 2014
Go to the forum and click ISP support under windstream. I received a response for my complaint against windstream.

March 3, 2014

So, it's been a year. I found out windstream (again) has no plan to fix my slow speed. It has gotten so bad that I am averaging .5 Mbps at night. If you think windstream is soooo great! Why did the state of Georgia fined them $600,000? Why is it going to cost millions to run fiber to my area? Why can't I pay 20% of my bill if I am only getting 20% service. Only a du mass will think this is fair?

March 6, 2013

I just wanted to get this information to all Georgia resident. A CBS atlanta news reporter wants our feedback concerning windstream service. Here is the website »stopthecap.com/2013/03/04/windst···crutiny/

This website tells how Windstream continues to heavily lobby the Georgia legislature for a bill that would ban competition from publicly owned broadband providers, the company is doing little to address the growing concerns of its own broadband customers getting poor service.

This confirms that windstream is trying to screw us over.

Update: Jan 31st, 2013

I have been using the Direct Forums to see if they could help me, BUT it seems useless the Forum is useless and a waste of time. The windstream rep had contacted the engineer in my area to find out whats going on and this is the response I get today.

*******(name of tech specialist)
join:2011-06-14
Twinsburg, OH
Hello, we have finally heard from the engineers and the Network Planning group. They have informed us that while Windstream strives to upgrade its network to address market conditions, unfortunately, some of our customers, like yourself are served by many of our remote switches that will not experience upgrades or improvements in 2013. Windstream continues to pursue federal funding for broadband deployment in areas like yours, such as through the FCC’s Connect America Fund Phase I and Phase II programs. We will do what whatever we can to obtain the funding and make improvements.
Thanks,
******(name of tech specialist)
Support Specialist II
We're here to help! broadbandhelp@windstream.com
to forum · permalink · actions · hey mods · · 2013-01-31 14:58:27 · · · Print

I though windstream claimed to had revenue earnings was over $900 millions. I am not happy right now! Is this even legal? I am not getting half the service they provide. Windstream is giving me a $10 credit every month until Jan 2014. If anyone out there thinks this is fair, post me a reason why you think its fair and I will call you a liar and a con-artist to your face. I dont know what to do. i can tell every windstream tech I see on the street that their service suck and all he will do is smile under is breath because they got me by the balls. I hope this company stocks plummets and that all the executives goes to prison for fraud and becomes someones little B*@#%! It seems all I can do is tell everyone I know about the piss poor, good for nothing, so call service windstream is providing and to never put the word Broadband and Windstream in the same sentence. I have an XBOX live account and have put in my profile that windstream suck and I encourage everyone who has an XBOX live account to do the same. If windstream is going to screw me over than I will tell everyone the truth about their terrible business practice, which is the truth. I feel that this site doesnt really help me much except to tell everyone to STAY AWAY FROM WINDSTREAM! if you have another choice. If anyone has any idea what i can do, I am all ears.

First post:
I wanted to wait and see if Windstream would have fixed my problem before I posted this, but guess what.I have been having the same problem with latency like everyone else since july, and receive the same excuses from windstream tech like everyone else. Hey windstream! those tickets doesn't work you big dummies! First off, windstream DOES NOT provide a true DSL line. Its called broadband. A true DSL line doesn't cause slow speed if some next door neighbors are streaming movies.

I am paying $77 a month for phone and 3 mbs, but I am only getting 1.5 a best. I feel like I am just throwing money away.

Tech Support can't do anything to help. Their job is to help trouble shoot. They are mainly reading off a check list to make sure you are connected properly. If your problems are not on the check list, it tells them to turn in a ticket, which is probably a suggestion for the field techs to do their job. After reading all the complaints on this board, I don't believe that my latency will be resolve within the next couple of years. All i can do is just keep demanding a credit. I plan to send out fliers to all my neighbors and tell them to also demand a credit for the slow speed we have been receiving.

I have no choice because windstream is the only company that provides broadband in my area, but i am getting dialup service. Apparently windstream has no pride about their company. If someone tells me that I am doing a poor job, I get very offensive and make sure it doesn't happen again. Windstream must feel proud about their lack of performance. They did mention that my problems will be resolved in January 2013, I laugh at them and said we'll see. I will post an update in February 2013.

Update: Dec 5, 2012

Windstream sends out a tech to my place on moday, Dec. 3rd, and the guy calls me at work to tell me that I needed a new modem. Nice guy, he leave me a new modem and 2 splitter. I install the new modem with help from tech support because I use safari apps. Now I am getting random drop connection. just 15 minutes ago, I can't use the internet because the modem can't detect the internet. I am watching netflix and I get drop from that too. What are you doing windstream? Are you trying to make my life miserable?

Comments:

tiredofit

@xo.net

windstream dsl

same issues here. since i only get half of what they promise, i call customer service and request a bill credit. hitting their pocket book may get their attention. everyone needs to do this!
totalradio

join:2007-09-15
·Suddenlink

Interesting, but its common

Windstream just can't get their act together. Windstream already receives federal funding for its services, they just use it to pay down the debt only to run it back up again. Just check their balance sheet and you'll see that they carry a heavy debt load.

But, here's something you might try. First, quit calling Windstream "tech support". They have NO idea what they're doing and you'll just waste your time on idiots. You might try the Georgia agency that oversees Windstream. Even though DSL is a deregulated product, they're not immune to other actions. The state agency might just take another look at them.

The next step is to contact the Federal Trade Commission. The FTC regulates what a business can (or cannot) advertise. For instance, if Windstream is selling their DSL, knowing full well they can't provide the advertised service, the FTC can force Windstream to either stop advertising their service, or force them to provide what they advertise. However, this does come with a catch.

If the FTC tells them to do one or the other, it might be cheaper for Windstream to quit advertising the service altogether. Be cheaper to stop advertising than to replace (or repair) infrastructure. In any event, if Windstream ignores the FTC, the FTC does have the power to place a monetary penalty on them. And they can do it more than once.

It seems that just recently, a television station in Atlanta did a story on Windstream and their shoddy service. Of course, Windstream trotted out a talking head, basically giving a scripted response, giving the obligatory lip service to the reporter, all the while giving the customers the middle finger. At last I checked, Windstream has done nothing to improve its service in the state, and they're not going to unless they start getting some REAL BAD press about them. Websites like BBR can go a long way in doing that, since the Windstream corporate trolls visit here on a regular basis.

Let me know how this turns out. If Windstream isn't doing what they're suppose to be doing, I'm all for getting them the bad press.
tonyNM

join:2014-01-05
Espanola, NM

Re: Interesting, but its common

Something clearly has to be done about these thieves We can squack about here in the forums till our fingers fall off and all they will do is laugh at us that much harder. Today I tried getting them to rebuild my connection and they even refused to do that. I could not have believed it but this company is actually getting arrogant about their bad service and service is getting worse. What can we possibly do to get these greedy execs get their just deserts? This company basically needs to go away in a big and embarrassing public scandal. I'm willing to do as much as I can to help achieve this. What can we do?

Review by borisbadenov See Profile

• Location: Barbourville,Knox,KY
  • Telco party WCV Telecom
Good "When its working properly it is fast as advertiesed"
Bad "When not working properly it is slower than dialup"
Overall "I have problems with my DSL/Phone every couple of months never seems to stay fixed"

Tech support not have talked to 4 different reps so far none seem to be techincal enough to solve my issue also they do not fill out trouble ticket correctly that or repairmen are dishonest when they say they were at residence at a certain time and actually never showed up.

Windstream still sucks even more so now than before. Customer service is even worse and unless you sing Windstream's praises they will ban you from their facebook page

Comments:

pisoff

@slb.com

worst ever company

This is the worst shi**** service.Please please please dont go for this if you have a choice...........these knuckle heads contract with stuppid apt property managers and get their business. In an open market this type of companies won't last a day. People running this company should be ashamed of their abilitys and degrees...

Review by tbriner2013 See Profile

• Location: Chariton,Lucas,IA
Good "Field techs show up when called."
Bad "Can't maintain a connection. Modem keeps re-connecting at random."
Overall "Not really sure I'm going to be with this ISP much longer."

6mb down/ 768k up for speed.

Order and install was ok. Started my service with a Paradyne modem from my previous ISP (Iowa Telecom) Had to change modems out since mine was no longer supported. Went to a Sagem F@st 1704 modem, it worked good for awhile, then started dropping my connection at random. Had it replaced with another of the same model. It didn't fix the random dropping of connection, either. Now have a third modem, a Sagem F@st 1704N and still no joy. I had a full 6mb for my connection when I had service thru Iowa Telecom, but have never been able to maintain it with Windstream. I understand 80% is a good connection, but when you have to power cycle your modem at random intervals, it becomes a hassle. I really don't think the modem was having problems either, considering I'm on my third one from Windstream, and it still occurs at random. I'm at my wits end with Windstream and looking to jump ship as soon as possible.

Comments:

anon

Windstream modems

I had the same issue with the Windstream provided modems when I first got their service. I was so disgusted with it, that I sucked it up and bought my own Actiontec modem/router combo for $80. Now my speeds are pretty consistent 6Mbs as I pay for.

Review by jojoanirak1 See Profile

• Location: Jefferson,Jackson,GA
Good "nothing"
Bad "everything"
Overall "stay the hell away, but if you're like me, it's unavoidable"

This company....what more is there to say? Most other people have already covered this. Windstream is the only "high speed broadband" provider in Jefferson GA which is asinine(and this is with me calling Comcast and Charter and asking if they provide service to my address, which sadly they do not). Only other option? Satellite. There's already an ongoing investigation against them here in GA, but I have yet to see any results. Still paying for 12Mb which I have yet to see (top out at 7, on a great day!). normal speed I usually see? 3Mb. So please, if you have other options, Stay Away!

Comments:

Jasonatmtech

AGREED

I couldnt agree with you more..service is crap, ADSL continues to loose connection, replaced modem twice in a yr at my expense with no improvement, now got another new modem the 1704 model, and now every other site i visit i am redirected to modem interface or get the good ole 404 error and on top of that now my blu-ray player wont play any video from internet although it says all connections are correct and has internet link....WOW, GET THIS SHIT RIGHT...and same here as speed goes, i have a 6mb service and tops out at 3 to 4 and thats a good day....STAY AWAY IF ALL POSSIBLE, WORST ISP EVER!!!!!

shocked

Re: AGREED

I just got off of the phone with them. I was told that basically I have internet (through a LAN, the speed is so slow I cannot connect wireless) access and that is all they are responsible for!!! What??? I ordered "high speed wireless" WTF! The tech I spoke to said, "All we are responsible for is you getting internet, you have internet right?" I told her yes but through the LAN only. She responded that I should go and buy a booster??? This service is the worse I have ever seen! I cannot believe they are still in business!!!!!

Least

Re: AGREED

Well, the bad news is that here in NM their phone support sucks too. WS bragged about new Fiber Optics last year... made my town a hub... they state they are still trying to program the new gear and local techs always quote they about have it fixed. Last night I called tech support...tech reset my account with the result that I went from 2.70megs to 1.63megs on a 12meg account. Guy started telling me my equipment was wrong...I.E. don't need a router and am I sure I hooked it up correctly. (Until I told him his local tech wished he had my home built computer as it beat everything WS has at his shop.) Made him mad. Stated service was bad in my area with NO forcast for a fix in site...with Fiber Optics...asked me to call customer service in the morning as they could help me better. Sad service for a 3 year customer. Tech support cannot help so he pawned me off---nice WS ...great service. Thinking of switching to Baha Broadband----though I am told they are lousy also....no rest for the weary.
tonyNM

join:2014-01-05
Espanola, NM

Re: AGREED

At least they reset your account. I asked for that today and they lied about it then refused to do it. They said they did it but neither of the modem lights blinked like they should when they reset things.

Review by zen_ See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Customer service, media streaming performance, equipment "
Bad "Had to call for advertised promo price"
Overall "Better than TWC (in my area)"
(ratings well above consensus)

Netflix and YouTube had become almost unusable with TWC during the evening (we don't throttle...sure, sure), so I rolled the dice with a switch to Windstream and it's been pretty good so far. I had to visit the retail store to talk with a local CS rep to get a figure on what the actual taxes and fees would be. That was a bit of a hassle, but his figures were accurate for the 24 mbit connection with no home phone service. The install tech was on time and pleasant to deal with, and did a good job testing that the bonding was working correctly and the connection reached advertised speeds. The Comtrend 3100u device was a little counterintuitive to setup since they are assuming that most customers will use the default settings and security, but it works just fine for wireless.

Only negative so far is that I had to call to get the advertised promo price after receiving my first bill, but it was credited immediately and without fuss.

So overall, at least so far, Windstream has been good for me, but I also live in an area where a cable company at least tacitly competes.