Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by John S See Profile

• Location: Pella,Marion,IA
Good "Local field technicians are friendly and helpful"
Bad "Service is extremely unreliable, never reach advertised speeds"
Overall "Windstream is a horrible company, it's like a lottery where you almost always lose."

We have the 6 Mbps package with Windstream. A little backstory- We were previously with Iowa Telecom, who was bought out by Windstream a little while back. Iowa Telecom was offering 1.5 Mbps service in the area, but Windstream started offering up to 12 Mbps service on the same lines, and to many more customers, as my area is still developing. The result has been that since everyone is trying to use way more than their share of the available bandwidth, no one has reliable service. I have 5-10% packet loss regularly, download speeds are typically around 3 Mbps, and my latency is incredibly high for DSL. They have done nothing to upgrade the area's service even though I have contacted them several times. This company clearly cares nothing about the quality of their service, and like many other Windstream customers, there is no other option available in my area. Since the FCC doesn't regulate ISP's, there is nothing that I can do to my knowledge about the situation, and they aren't likely to spend money upgrading the system just because one person is bugging them. I am at a loss for what to do. So, in conclusion, if you sign up with Windstream- good luck. It's very potluck, and chances are they are doing the equivalent of selling 5 times as many plane tickets as there are seats on their airplane, only with bandwidth.

Comments:
totalradio

Not surprising

Yours is the typical problem that they have with Windstream. As long as you have no competition, nothing will get improved. However...

If Windstream is constantly advertising their DSL speeds at a certain rate, and they repeatedly do not meet them, there is one thing you can try. The Federal Trade Commission regulates what companies advertise. If they don't meet what they advertise, they DO have the power to make them either improve their service, or quit advertising what they try to sell. Of course, its cheaper to quit advertising than to upgrade equipment, so that may backfire.

But again, Windstream is worse than AT&T, so don't expect much out of them.
iowaboy
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA
·Mediacom
·WildBlue

Re: Not surprising

I can agree with they don't repair lines that are bad. The line coming to me can be tested to 1800 feet of me at almost right at 3 Mbps download. Great huh? well go the next pedestal which is 500 feet from me and the speed drops to 1003 kbps. Well the techs reported the issue and even the techs that monitor and try to help out found that there is a issue. Even the techs I speak to on the phone and have sent me 4 modems in 14 months for modem disconnections 4 plus times day can see there is a line issue. Well came down to area manager decided there will never be a line fixed. Our lines are buried and that bundle goes to 3 homes and that isn't enough to fix the issue and make a better, clearer voice calls, that is another story, and also make it so 2 of the homes would have better connection and clearer phone calls. I asked about running a temp line across the ground just as a test to see what would straighten up the issue then we would know for sure. Nope can't do that. I know for a fact that before the sale Iowa Telcom would have done that till they could get a crew out to replace the bundle. Seen them doing before, In fact they did where I used to live. We do have 3 other internet providers where I live, But they do not come out as far as I live. In fact one stops 1800 feet away from me.

Re: Not surprising

As a retired CenturyTel tech (now CenturyLink), looks like you have bad cable. Windstream is up to their eyeballs in debt, so they won't fix anything unless they have to. Seems that Windstream only fixes problems in areas where they have serious competition.

On another note, I visited Iowa for the first time about 10 years ago. Always heard about the endless cornfields and such. I flew into Des Moines and grabbed a car rental and went to Knoxville. Got to see a lot of cornfields there. We have cornfields here too, but not as much as Iowa does. Maybe one day I'll return to Iowa and spend a little more time there.

Good luck with Windstream. You might just need it.

Review by mstre See Profile

• Location: Dorset,Ashtabula,OH
Good "When it works it is ok but that is very seldom!!!"
Bad "Never works and they just make promisses ==monopoly on area!!"
Overall "Stay away"

We signed up for $55.00 and promised 6meg. Three years and we just got 3meg. When we got first bill $80.00!! They just said I was wrong and take it or leave it in so many words knowing they are the only service in the area. The thirty dollars is taxes! We could only get 1.5meg. They said they were updating equipment and should be getting 6meg in a few months. Well its 3 years later and we get 3meg when it works 15 min out of a day!! They have been working on it for a month every day or so and still can't get it to work right. We thought they had it when we got 3meg and the web pages loaded fast but 30 min later back to 0.07 meg. They still can not find the problem after four modems and all new wire in our house. They just keep playing games and not fixing the problem! Two of their hired techs said they have to many customers for the dslam!! All we get is a song and dance when we call and they are the only provider in our area. They are just rip off artist.

Comments:
totalradio

Taxes & fees, et al

The taxes that you speak of are probably "un-fees" that Windstream likes to charge in places where they don't face competition. If they need to raise the price of your connection, they just raise the "un-fees" and they don't have to increase the advertised price.

The problem that most Windstream users have, are that Windstream doesn't upgrade their equipment in those non-competitive area. They don't have to, since DSL is an unregulated product in most states, therefore most PUC's (or PSC's) are powerless to do anything. Even if Windstream wanted to upgrade, they really can't afford to upgrade equipment or cable in wholesale fashion because their debt load simply won't allow them. They need to pay down debt soon.

Windstream will promise an elevator and give you the shaft. The employee "trolls" on here simply will say whatever to try and appease the customer.

I lived in an AT&T area before moving to a Windstream area. I'm lucky that Windstream does have meaningful competition in my area. Coupled that with the largest employer (Georgia Pacific) being their largest customer in the area. Windstream is a far worse company than AT&T and I cannot trust them either.

Don't get me wrong, when I've had a problem that was local in nature, the techs are real good in fixing problems on the local level. Its the tech support that you'll have the problem, since none of them know anything about DSL or the telephone business and Windstream doesn't train them in it.

But like many on here, we feel your pain. Good luck in dealing with Windstream.

You'll need it.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

Re: Taxes & fees, et al

DSL unregulated in most states? Try all states. the FCC has deemed that it is an information service and not subject to regulation.

Rooster

@sbcglobal.net

Bandwidth

Sign up for "DSL Lite" you'll never know the difference.

Review by VTXJENNY See Profile

• Location: Liberty,Casey,KY
Good "nothing good"
Bad "everthing s@cks"
Overall "avoid if possible."

Third world countries have faster internet than Windstream....if there is no incentive (competition) why should they care. The absolute worst customer service...all liars.

Comments:

Review by Nickali28 See Profile

• Location: Cove,Polk,AR
Good "Customer Service Friendly. "
Bad "Oversold circuits with outdated equipment."
Overall "No data caps yet. Poor quality on overutilized old equipment."

I have had a 3Mb DSL service for several years. It was ok in the first year or two. Each year it gets progressively worse. Equipment is over utilized and very outdated. Since I live rurally it is not cost effective to update equipment. As it stands I frequently get around 20% packet loss and less than .2Mb download and upload. Peak hours you may as well forget the internet. Bandwidth is not there. Order and install was easy and straightforward. Customer service has been polite, albeit not helpful. I have been informed they understand what the problem is. Equipment, oversold, etc. but that at this time it is not in plans for upgrade.

Bottom Line: There is no other option in the area for uncapped internet. We have windstream DSL, Satellite, or Cell Phone that is not running 3G. It is the prior speed.

I work from home sometimes and get timed out and have to drive 30 miles to work. Irritating to say the least, but there is no other options. As soon as another viable option is available, windstream is gone.

Comments:
tonyNM

·Windstream

Most unethical, greedy CEO ever.

At least they tell you partial truth. here they just lie and say they are working on it. They do not mention what they are working on or where nor do they have an estimated date of completion. They are simply not upgrading anything here and do not come out and say so.
Nickali28

join:2012-11-24
Cove, AR
·Windstream

Re: Most unethical, greedy CEO ever.

I work in IT and am familiar with a good bit of the ISP Business and basically cut through the tech help and told them what was going on with their own equipment just by using some simple tools and the tech actually agreed with me and told me that my area did have an older piece of equipment. Even gave me the circuit tag that is about a mile from my house. She said it was not in the plans for upgrade and that the new fiber in the area would not affect that equipment either. I suppose the average user wouldn't get so lucky to glean that information out. Customer service has been nice enough but I think they have been told what to say and not to. I live rurally so really am fortunate to have Broadband, but it would be nice if the equipment could get a bump. It would help, but as I understand it's a nationwide Windstream problem.

Espanola, NM

Re: Most unethical, greedy CEO ever.

They could solve it by investing some of the profit they make instead of being greedy and keeping it. Slow down the rate at which they are getting rich at is all they have to do. They will still get rich just not as fast.

Review by nikiinpa See Profile

• Location: Rockton,Clearfield,PA
Good "Nothing, best available internet in area"
Bad "Very slow with wired router, slow again when purchased wireless router"
Overall "Would never recommend this company, says its upgrading & never does"

First when DSL was available I received the wired router, I cannot remember the name of the 1st modem, after that Sagecom 4300, this was replaced at least 3 times over a 5 yr period due to it not working correct or the on off button would stick. Price was 49.95 for DSL service at the time, was included in bundle with phone, originally my bill was around $80. The router & equipment was mailed to me in a timely manner. When there was a problem with the modem I received it free in the mail, after that I had to go with their service agreement monthly charge to get it for nothing.

Ordered the wireless router about 8 months ago, SageMfast 1704 cost $120, waived some type of service charge if I went for their monthly service agreement of $9.95 a month, so I went with that. Received all the equipment in the mail, called tech service to help set it up, it didn't take too long.

I was constantly calling them previous 2 yrs regarding outages and speed, their remarks were they were upgrading and I'd have faster speed soon (which never happened) I quit calling until last week after my movie kept stopping and was told by Roku my internet speed was too slow. After a while you know its a customer service repeated verse to customers.

The Windstream truck was always down at the pole at my property line, apparently the equip at the pole services other customers as well as Comcast customers ( I asked the serviceman being nothing was wrong with my internet or phone at the time & he told me it had to do with Comcast)

Windstream appears to be out for their profits, my service has not been upgraded no matter how many times they said it was coming. The last tech I talked to said I should be glad for the service in a rural area. When I called to see the pricing of phone only it was $16.95 with no long distance, if you wanted long distance the rate was 49.95, no 10¢ a min LD, its was either no long distance or pay the additional $33 to have LD included. Separate DSL 49.95. I realize now they are taking advantage of their rural customers with high rates and horrible service.

Comments:
totalradio

Windstream problems

Windstream always tells people that they're "upgrading", when in fact, they can't afford to right now, given their debt load. Windstream is deep into debt so can't really afford to spend money on upgrading equipment. Only if they HAVE to, will they upgrade.

They used to have a few people who trolled this site trying to "help people", but I suppose they don't want to hear about their shoddy service, or their incompetent tech support. I had an issue a few months ago, and after haggling over their tier 1 support for weeks, even having on of their tier 1 support people tell me that I had no idea what I was talking about, and she hung up on me. I called right back, and actually got someone who was sympathetic of my problem, bumped me up to tier 2 support, told him the problem and got it resolved in 10 minutes. Basically, their tier 1 support has absolutely NO idea what they're doing.

Just for the record, I'm a retired I&R guy from CenturyTel (now CenturyLink) and DSL & special circuits were my area of expertise.

But again, you have to stay on them. Perhaps you'll call tech support and get someone like I did. If you can get past tier 1 support, you might make headway.

Good luck !

Review by tonyNM See Profile

• Location: Espanola,Rio Arriba,NM
Good "It exists"
Bad "It exists"
Overall "Most unethical company in the world"

WIndstream Communications is the worst company in the world. They are greedy, unethical and just plain lie to their customers. Specifically, DSL service in Espanola, New Mexico is as bad or worse as it was 2 years ago. WIndstream is doing nothing at all to upgrade equipment or lines. THis is notning new for this company as a quick look through these forums will tell you. They have a monopoly here thus they have no need to upgrade anything. I am disabled both mentally and physically so basically the internet is my window to the world. Windstream is completely denying me a pleasant quality of life and there is no other broadband to switch. I am at wits end with these liars and quite frankly I see no future. I have extensive files of my dealings with windstream which I want to get out to the media before it is too late but I really do not have the energy for this anymore. Right now my heart is pounding and my nose keeps trying to drip red from the frustration and despair I feel about not being able to live. Windstream techs even toy with me and my illness. early this week I was told by one of the "tech" people online that the issue in my area would be resolved in 2 weeks. Today I find that this just was not true as another "tech" told me he didn't know why the first person had mentioned a fix was coming. They enjoy my helplessness and do not care if they are severely restricting my life.

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Separate the emotion...

Focus on what the actual issues are and write a review about the issues. There isn't much anyone can make out of this review except you claim there to be an issue and it was supposed to be resolved but it hasn't been. That doesn't say much.

·Windstream

Re: Separate the emotion...

Fair enough. THe issue is extreme latency and Windstreams lies. They say they are aware of the problem but they will not do anything to help alleviate it. This high latency issue has existed for over 2 years. I just can't believe how unethical this company is and they are doing it nationwide! Who are they paying off in order to not have been sued yet....hmmm
JimmyGator

join:2010-11-09
Melrose, FL

Simply pathetic. The test result speaks for the service being received.

« SpeedGuide.net Speed Test Results »
80 kbps down (~0.08 Mbps, 10 KB/s)
140 kbps up (~0.14 Mbps, 17 KB/s)
1024 KB downloaded in 105.439 seconds
Latency: 268ms
Provider: dynamic.ip.windstream.net
Location: High Springs, FL, US

Re: Simply pathetic. The test result speaks for the service being received.

I'd be happy with what you get at times. I also discovered that the "techs" here pick and choose who they help. I never received any answers to my IM. Patricia said she would look into it then nothing was done. Typical Windstream.
JimmyGator

join:2010-11-09
Melrose, FL

Re: Simply pathetic. The test result speaks for the service being received.

They should be paying me to 'enjoy' these speeds...

« SpeedGuide.net Speed Test Results »
Latency: 133ms
Provider: dynamic.ip.windstream.net
Location: Melrose, FL, US

Re: Simply pathetic. The test result speaks for the service being received.

You are in FLorida. I am in New Mexico yet it is the same story. How is it that these people have gotten away without a major scandal breaking out nation wide? My guess is big payoffs to politicians. No wonder they can't afford to upgrade our systems, they are buying off Senators and things.

Review by sethf See Profile

• Location: Danielsville,Madison,GA
Good "Direct forum support from Aaron"
Bad "Lack of investment in areas with no competition"
Overall "Adequate if your only choice is between them and satellite or capped wireless"

In the nearly 10 years that Alltel/Windstream has offered DSL in my area they have not made one single upgrade to the available speeds offered outside of increasing the upload to ~650Mbps (after you consider that they do not over provision the upload) a few years ago. Most of the time I get at least 2Mbps down on my 3Mbps line, but more frequently speeds and latency are in the toilet. Windstream will acknowledge the problem and give a stated date for a fix, but that date always gets pushed back. They do not have to fix these issues because there is no competition. The second Charter runs cable down my road (it passes it now) is the day I leave. Windstream is spending all their money on business services and "the cloud" while keeping residential investments in uncompetitive areas at nearly zero.

member for 6 years, 1455 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Sammy_D

@windstream.net

Price gouging and poor service.

WIndstream gouges it's customers because they know they are the only one servicing many rural areas.
The service is down so much they owe me months worth of back service- but you know they won't do that.
I'll be glad if or when ATT or somebody gets lines out here - there's is less than half the price for the same service.

Review by Austia001 See Profile

• Location: Saint Matthews,Calhoun,SC
Good "was doing good, now bad again..."
Bad "Have had bad internet lag/drops in the past.. Kinda of expensive for 3MB dsl service versus some other carriers."
Overall "I've had my ups and downs but lately the tech support has helped a good bit."

Windstream is a monopoly in my area and can pretty much charge what they want for service apparently.. They are considerably higher rates than other competition for the same service. The fastest DSL I have available is 3MB and it's pretty dang high. I have friends a county over from mine that have 20+MB cable for the same price. They installed Fiber Optic into our network yesterday and the results today seem to be much better.. Time will tell.

Well, 12-27-2013, every evening still having high latency and ping times. Called tech support 3 times, and as of yet, nothing has been done. Sounds about typical from the service I had been getting before..

Comments:

Review by FlaCracker See Profile

• Location: Citra,Marion,FL
Good "It's better than dial up."
Bad "Don't expect this company to come anywhere near the promised download speeds. You will pay for 3 mps and you might get 1.0 mps."
Overall "Use this company only if you have no other option for a DSL or Cable provider."

If you have any other DSL or Cable option, you will be far better off going with that company than Windstream. WindStream has consistently failed to provide even a third of the promised download speed for which they charge. The only reason I am still with them is that there is no other option, other than satellite internet, which has it's own host of problems. Overall, I would say that WindStream is a complete scam for the actual promised download speed. They are more than willing to charge for "high speed" Internet, but are completely unable to keep their promise for "high speed" internet. In addition, they charged for their "professional install service", which ended up in the service man arriving on the wrong date and just leaving the equipment on the front porch. I was forced to self install, even though I was charged for "professional" installation. Windstream is the sort of company that actually needs the Better Business Bureau and government regulation, in order to attempt to detour them from completely ripping off the consumer.

Comments:
tonyNM

In addition

They are blatant liars. I can't believe the greed of these people. The one and only thing this CEO believes in is the profit margin. Eventually, there will indeed be a full scale investigation of these completely ethic less people and I sincerely hope criminal charges are filed and the consequences paid for by the policy setters. Really, what kind of people make policy like this? I can just imagine their secret board meetings where they laugh at us, the little people, while they count their money. HEY!! you are already rich. Stop getting richer faster and buy some equipment for us.

Review by mark40511 See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "Fast response time if you go through tier 2 support"
Bad "Will update as time progresses."
Overall "Impressed so much by response time that decided to stay with Windstream"

·Windstream
Update 10/19/2012......Much time has passed and I've been on Broadband 12 mb solo for a few months. Here in Lexington, KY - I have had Windstream for over 8 years. In those 8 years, I have had a couple of bumps along the way but it was pretty quickly resolved. For me personally, I have no issues with Windstream in my location. I realized that's not the case for a lot of more rural Windstream customers. I honestly think it's ridiculous the length of time these folks are having to wait to have their internet as it should be! I mean, (over a year, really?) Hard to believe it's the same company based on what I've been reading on the Windstream Forum.

Update: 5/3/2013

Well in Lexington I've had 12 for quite some time with little to no problems no matter what time of day. I was very happy with it but decided to upgrade to the 24/2 G bond DSL which recently became available in my area....I must say it's very strange and not sure I'm loving it as much as I did the 12 meg connection. Upload is definitely better, but download seems to be just a few megs (IF THAT) above 12. Various speed tests I have done while being LAN connected (I hate wireless) have been around 10 mpbs to 20 mpbs. On speedtest.net I'm only able to get around 20 and if I'm lucky an occasional 24 on the Chicago and Dallas servers, all the rest are much slower and in some cases even slower than 12. I also downloaded a LARGE test file and was only able to max out at 2000 kb/s. Line quality test at pingtest.net always scored A when I had 12, now it scores B EVERY time! HMMM? Ping times/ jitter are a little higher than they were with 12.

Now that ODD part - I have my smart phone which is obviously wireless and my laptop both of which give HORRIBLE speed tests, not even close to 12 mpbs. I agree than LAN is going to always be better than wireless, but prior to upgrading, when I was still on 12 mpbs, all of my wireless devices would reach almost to 12 mpbs. Now on this 24 mpbs package, my wireless devices struggle to get past 5 mpbs. I'm using the same netgear router with the wireless completely disabled in the Comtrend modem.

Don't get me wrong. My internet is very usable and I can totally live with this, but it's NOT 24 mpbs even though modem #'s are good. It just seems like something is wrong somewhere. Another fellow poster who lives in my same zip code describes the same exact issue with the 24 g bond speed.

Will update soon

Update 5/17/2013 ......the 24/2 g bond is doing well for me........I haven't had any latency spikes in a few days now. So far I'm happy with it

Comments:
jin

join:2012-01-15
Hazard, KY

You're lucky

I've been working with tier 2 for a while now, and haven't noticed a difference.

Just more ETA's

windstream sucks
Look around this forum, google it.
AlbertKelley

join:2013-04-26

It is too bad for Lexington, KY Windstream can't deliver

They have friendly, professional employees and good installation. However, product performance is horrible. We have used Insight since 2010 and switched in April 2013 to Windstream based on 24 down/ 4 up promotion. It does not work. At best service is 10 down/ 1 up and there is crackling sounds on phone calls. By comparison, we never have had any problems with Insight in over 3 years. In addition, since installation, Internet connection is lost a least once a day which requires resetting of modem each time. Technical support is unable to correct anything unfortunately. Reluctantly, we are switching back to Insight.

We wish Windstream could truly be a competitor. As of today, there is no competition to Insight in Lexington, KY.

mark40511

join:2004-10-12

Re: It is too bad for Lexington, KY Windstream can't deliver

Actually - the 12 was fantastic for the most part. I always had speeds of 12 at all times on most all devices, even during prime time.........

I know the tech told me that they are doing major upgrades throughout the city of Lexington like he has never seen. I wonder if they just need to work out the bugs. I may go back to 12 because it actually felt like a better experience than 24 so far, as wild as that sounds. I'll give it a bit before to see what happens.
kpatt2006

join:2012-08-14
Greensburg, KY

hahaha ol' Windstream

My friends are in Lexington forced to go with Time Warner because of the apartment they live in. Sometimes their 15mbps drops to around 1mbps for a few minutes. Apparently, there is no such thing as a good DSL service. My dad is on Comcast now just 25 minutes from me at 50mbps for just a few bucks more than what I pay for this wonderful sevice below. Merry Christmas, Windstream. Die.

mark40511

join:2004-10-12

Re: hahaha ol' Windstream

I agree that's SAD ........But there is good DSL in Lexington (at least since 2004 since I've had DSL) I could have switched to Cable a LONG time ago..In fact, I came close a couple of times.., and I would have if my service was that bad, but so far, other than a few small bumps here and there, you would be pretty amazed I think.....especially compared to those terrible speeds...... I wish Windstream would get their act together for EVERYONE, not just the bigger cities with competition. Each time I do a ping test, it's usually in the teens and my speed is usually 23 to 24 no matter what time of day.......The latency spikes are very short and only happening recently.....I will update if they get any worse.

This is with a 2 hour youtube vid playing at the same time I did this test

»www.speedtest.net/result/3188409251.png
FlaCracker

join:2013-12-25
USA
·Windstream

This is my Windstream experience in Florida!

Promised Download speed 3mps... a complete disappointment, a ripoff and a scam! But, because of federal laws it's what I am stuck with.