Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by Bodybagger See Profile

• Location: Saint Matthews,Calhoun,SC
Good "None"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "St. Matthews, SC Service Horrid!"

1-29-14

So our internet was working good for about 3 months after the DSLAM was fiber fed back in April I think? Ever since sometime around October our net has been back to the 300ms+ ping times every single night and barely 2.4Mb/down when we pay for 6. The service is completely unusable all weekend long. They are now stating that a switch that feeds my area is causing the bottleneck and their plans to repair it/replace it are for April of this year. Every single time we have called since Oct. they have had no ETR and no idea what was going on. Recently this month I got in touch with someone at tier 2 stating that the switch was bad and needed to be replaced. No ETR from him... After submitting another complaint to the BBB I finally got an ETR of April this year. Really strange that no one in Windstream could give me an ETR but all of a sudden after the BBB complaint they come up with one? These guys are crooks no matter how you look at it. Also, I was told by a local tech that all these guys do is take your money and buy up smaller telcos. They have no interest at all in repairing service for the people they have already... but rather take their monthly fees and buy up smaller companies.

I really hope Windstream burns to the ground very, very soon. I've... we've had enough of their constant BS that no one in this world should have to put up with from their ISP. If you can afford anything better and if there is competition in your area.. choose anyone other than Windstream. They are the worst ISP on the planet and they don't care at all about their customers or their network. I despise this company with a passion. And I am not alone when I say I hate them with every ounce of being. I hope they get sued and have to pay billions of dollars back to all of their customers that they have done wrong through all the years they have been in business. They do not even deserve to exist.

12-9-12

Service sucks. The worst ISP on Earth. Been given repair dates forever when none have been met. Last repair date we got now is the 31st of this year. 600ms+ ping every single night for over months. Connection randomly drops out completely. $10 credit on my account but they cannot provide any more than that? T1 tech support is like talking to a brick wall.. and when they do talk back, they are complete assholes and rush you off the phone. Called in yesterday and spoke to a t1 manager and he refused to help and refused to transfer us to someone else that would help because he didn't want to waste another person's time to hear our issues. I've had better service when I was on 56k.

Update 1-31-12

Service still goes out at random times. We have had better service over the past few months than we have had in a long time, but regardless where we live the issues are still present. There is no fix unless everything in this area is brought up to date as far as equipment and lines. We also have a shredded phone box that serves our road that has been this way since summer of last year. Cost keeps going up for the service and the quality/speeds stay down the drain. I still wouldn't recommend Windstream to anyone... ever. Maybe one day we will get some competition out here and put this company out of business. Or atleast make them fix their horrible service.

I would greatly recommend another DSL provider over this company. We've had so many problems from outages, random drops, latency issues, packet loss, and overall slow speeds. We live just in range to only be able to receive the 1.5Mbps package and alot of the time it isn't even that. So many phone calls to Windstream about speed issues and they want to sell us the 3Mbps package because it is "available" in our area and we "can" run it stable. Once they hook us up to the 3Mbps, drops are seen about every minute. Simply put, LIES!

Anyway, someone lives here that works from home and they have lost wages and time due to the internet service. Windstream cannot do anything about that... but they USE to until it was costing them too much money due to the amount of complaints they were receiving.

If Windstream doesn't have the monopoly in your area like they do here, I would greatly recommend choosing a different service. Windstream is applying for a good amount of money to "upgrade and improve" their equipment, but alot of rural areas will probably never see it. We have some of the worst and oldest equipment in our area and that is the reason we are having so many issues... and Windstream isn't going to spend the money to update old "junk" this far out from town. Words straight from a Windstream tech...

-An issue has been going on with this terrible company for at least 4 months. Since early December our internet service has been slower than dial-up usually at or around peak times (7est-11:30est). We've been lied to over and over on when the issue will be resolved. Nothing has been done to correct our problems no matter how many times we call and complain. We've contacted the BBB on them and still haven't received the service we pay for every month. We pay $45 a month for 1.5Mb speed because we cannot get anything faster. We have no other providers in our area. I've seen where other places pay $45 a month for 20Mb down 2Mb up. If we had another choice this company would never get another penny from us. I would recommend to anyone that has other options other than Windstream to really consider who they want to provide their internet services. And yes Windstream may be $5 cheaper in areas that have cable or AT&T, etc. but you are much, much better off than ever dealing with this terrible ISP. It would save you alot of hassle in the long run.-

member for 4.5 years, 1196 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:
totalradio

I feel the pain.

Seeing what you're going through remind me of when I had to re-establish my static IP recently. I went from 3mb to 12mb, but when they changed the speed, they got rid of my static IP and gave me a dynamic IP. Two weeks & several phone calls later, I finally got my static IP back. The last time I called, of course, I got someone in tier 1 support. Anyone who's dealt with Windstream's tier 1 support knows that its a crap shoot at the very best and your worse nightmare on average. When I got tier 1 support, I briefly explained my problem. The lady put me on hold, and when she returned, she started to explain that she couldn't do anything at which time I told her to bump me up to tier 2 support. Instead of getting an excuse, she actually transferred me to T2. When I got there, a guy asked me my problem, accessed my profile, saw the problem and corrected it in 5 minutes. Later on, I realized that 12mb speed wasn't really doing anything beneficial to me, so I went back down to 3mb and this time kept my static IP.

Its clear to me, and it should be to everyone else, that Windstream doesn't train their tier 1 support in anything, except to lie and use the term "latency outage" when they can't, or won't fix a particular problem in a particular area. The reason is a simple one. Windstream's debt load is so high, they really can't make extensive fixes to areas that were shoddy when they bought them from smaller companies. They're just milking what money is there until something gives.

I would give a better response than this, but I had a recent review removed because I told the truth about DSL Extreme and their service (or lack of a service), and someone whined and got it removed. But here's an idea you might try.

The Federal Trade Commission has oversight on what companies advertise. Whether it be television, radio, print, etc., all claims of service must be met. If Windstream advertises a service for a certain amount of speed and they consistently do not deliver, a complaint to the FTC might be in order. The FTC does have the power to either make them deliver on their claim, or stop advertising service they can't deliver. But this might backfire as it will be cheaper to stop advertising than to fix problems. Its a 50-50 shot.

Good luck in however you deal with Windstream

Review by Silvy See Profile

• Location: Citra,Marion,FL
Good "Um the router never caught fire?"
Bad "If you are looking for the worst service and speed ever, stop looking you're here!"
Overall "Dig out that old 56k modem it's faster"

Back when our area got 3 Meg DSL things weren't bad. Of course like everyone else on here, as more subscribers joined and Windstream sat on their money coming in they never bothered to invest in the infrastructure, thus during evening/weekends, expect a high speed of about .2 to .5 which is sad, pathetic and really should be actionable. Good luck on calling it in though, all I got was a sales pitch for their $150 router (ooh with wireless built in!) oh and the $10 month 'protection' fee offered. So I can spend tons MORE money for that awesome speed... All you ever get is "oh yes there is a ticket open on that, we expect it will be resolved in . If you are in a location where ANYTHING else is offered, go with it... All that said, I will say in years past when dealing with the local tech, he was great. He truly tried to help but being held hostage by the corporate office leaves them powerless to resolve things.

It's criminal that a business can make such empty promises and not face any repercussions.

Comments:
brayhaven

join:2014-01-30

windstream Florida

I'm a little north of you but having the same or worse.. They've been saying they are fixing it... for 1.5 years. Took me 2.5 minutes to log onto this forum. Can we all just keep track of the days it doesn't work & deduct it from our bill? If I had an option, I'd take it. Have you looked into sattelite internet> Was thinking of doing that. As for the old 56K dial up, mine was never this slow... (
Greg

Re: windstream Florida

Guys...Forget dealing with your state agencies. Might try going to the Federal Trade Commission. If they advertise a speed and they constantly neglect to deliver, the FTC has the power to make them improve the service, or quit advertising the speed. Could be thought of as misrepresentation, which is illegal by federal law. But again, it probably will be cheaper to stop advertising than to improve the service. Windstream is so far in debt, they can't afford to make too many fixes unless they face stiff competition in areas they operate.

Might be worth a shot. Worse they can say is no.
kpatt2006

join:2012-08-14
Greensburg, KY
·Windstream

This is every day/night in my area since November 2011. Sure, sometimes around 2 a.m. the speed will get around 2.5 mbps, but I shouldn't have to live my life around my ISP and when it will actually be usable. I've went through every agency, BBB, FCC, state consumer protection, and nothing is ever accomplished. Windstream will never pay for what they are doing to customers.

Review by The Limit See Profile

• Location: Sanford,Lee,NC
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "It works."
Bad "Ping times are 200+ ms to every site =/"
Overall "Windstream has been spiraling downward in terms of quality."

UPDATE 11/04/09-- Seems like a lot of packet loss has plagued my connection now, going on two weeks. Promise after promise of getting in touch with me, fixing the issue within 48 hours, and actually doing something about the issue; don't get me wrong, I get the advertised speed, but I use voip, and play online games that require a low latency connection. I haven't had ANY problems for two years now, and all of a sudden this crops up. I'm sorely disappointed due to the lack of communication among tech support and level 1 support, so two stars come off here.

I will admit that the tech on this site is very helpful, but he's one out of a many tech support people over at Windstream that could actually get things semi-right.

Two stars come off for value of money, in regards to the reliability of the connection. Same for services.

I wish I had an alternative.

UPDATE 08/20/09-- Still going strong. Switched to a 4200 Speedstream modem. Still running the WRT54G wireless router, but changed the firmware to Tomato 1.25. The connection works, get about 80% of my advertised speed. No complaints thus far. Just wish they would run the fiber to the switch already!

Had Windstream for quite a while now. Subscribed to their broadband when it was first available (because we were tired of dial up and using two lines for gaming, and nothing else was available), which was around 2000-2001. We are running 3072/384 speed profile on a speedstream 5200 modem and a linksys WRT54G (custom firmware- dd-wrt)(cost with phone bundle is around $60 a month), but wish they would upgrade our area to fiber so we can get 6 megs. Install was good, but the order wasn't so great. I remember we canceled at one time, and then we resubscribed for 3 meg, but was put on 1.5 meg.

We paid for 3.0 meg while on a 1.5 meg profile, so I called in. Didn't get it fixed the first time due to the person telling me it would take 3 business days. Called in again (sales line) because I was tired of talking to Wipro. Got the issue fixed within minutes! Another issue I have is them telling us that they would fiber feed our switch, but it hasn't happened yet. Have been told several stories, and all of them are false. I plan to call soon on the status of the upgrade.

Overall, great service though. It's been a REALLY long time since the last outage (I'm thinking 6+ months).

Normally, I don't give any service 5 stars because nothing is perfect, and we haven't had another choice of ISP other than Windstream. I gave Pre-sales 2 out of 5 stars because they told me that we had 6 meg available a while back, but the techs have tested the lines and told us that the switch we are on is not fiber fed. Install co-ordination gets 3 out of 5 stars because of the issue with being put on a 1.5 meg speed profile, when we were paying for 3.0 megs. Tech support has 4 out of 5 stars due to the fact that Wipro isn't not employed by Windstream anymore, and the local techs have been very helpful in getting problems fixed.

UPDATE 02/28/10 Service issues yet again, ping is through the roof, download speed is very unstable. This has been happening a lot in the last year or so, not sure what is going on, it seems like every time I call in that a bandaid is being placed on the problem, only for the problem to crop up again a few months later. Windstream needs to get its act together, as I'm getting tired of this.

UPDATE 03/04/10 Service has been restored, thanks to user Windstream. If it wasn't for him, I would probably still be having issues as of right now. Thanks man, you are appreciated in these forums.

UPDATE 06/02/10 I have been contacting customer support weekly now due to ping times in my area. Speeds are good, close to what I'm paying for, but high latency is not acceptable for VOIP or for my airave. No offense to you Jerry (I might have to start working through you again to get this fixed), but tech support has been subpar. Seriously, the reps should know that latency and speed are two different beasts. I had a rep INSIST that the reason why I'm having latency issues is because of the modem I'm using. I have two modems, tested them both, and I know that they are not defective because this used to not be an issue. Tech support has been edited on the review accordingly.

UPDATE 06/10/10 Still hasn't been fixed. This has been going on for a year now, high latency at night. I know it's oversubscription, because I've had 3 technicians come out and confirm the issue. I will be contacting the PSC and BBB, and if this continues to be a problem, then I will stop using Windstream services. This is unexcusable.

UPDATE 12/31/10 At this point, I don't recommend this service to anyone. Run far away from this company, that sums it up.

UPDATE 05/18/11 Still having issues with the service, I've called in at least six times in the last two weeks, and have been told that the ETA for the latency fix wouldn't be until August of this year. Weird, because if I stopped paying the bill, the service is cut off promptly, but if I demand what I pay for, I am given the run around. Have already filed a complaint with the BBB, now all I can do is wait. Wish I had another option, otherwise I would have already switched by now. Fact is, I need a reliable connection for school, and I can't have that apparently. So frustrating that Windstream can charge $50 (including taxes) for a 3 megabit connection, and still not deliver!

UPDATE 01/26/14 - I am no longer with Windstream. I moved to a different county. I am glad that I don't need to deal with them any longer. I now have service with TWC, and I haven't had an issues for the 2 years that I have had service with them.

member for 7 years, 2000 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by John S See Profile

• Location: Pella,Marion,IA
Good "Local field technicians are friendly and helpful"
Bad "Service is extremely unreliable, never reach advertised speeds"
Overall "Windstream is a horrible company, it's like a lottery where you almost always lose."

We have the 6 Mbps package with Windstream. A little backstory- We were previously with Iowa Telecom, who was bought out by Windstream a little while back. Iowa Telecom was offering 1.5 Mbps service in the area, but Windstream started offering up to 12 Mbps service on the same lines, and to many more customers, as my area is still developing. The result has been that since everyone is trying to use way more than their share of the available bandwidth, no one has reliable service. I have 5-10% packet loss regularly, download speeds are typically around 3 Mbps, and my latency is incredibly high for DSL. They have done nothing to upgrade the area's service even though I have contacted them several times. This company clearly cares nothing about the quality of their service, and like many other Windstream customers, there is no other option available in my area. Since the FCC doesn't regulate ISP's, there is nothing that I can do to my knowledge about the situation, and they aren't likely to spend money upgrading the system just because one person is bugging them. I am at a loss for what to do. So, in conclusion, if you sign up with Windstream- good luck. It's very potluck, and chances are they are doing the equivalent of selling 5 times as many plane tickets as there are seats on their airplane, only with bandwidth.

Comments:
totalradio

Not surprising

Yours is the typical problem that they have with Windstream. As long as you have no competition, nothing will get improved. However...

If Windstream is constantly advertising their DSL speeds at a certain rate, and they repeatedly do not meet them, there is one thing you can try. The Federal Trade Commission regulates what companies advertise. If they don't meet what they advertise, they DO have the power to make them either improve their service, or quit advertising what they try to sell. Of course, its cheaper to quit advertising than to upgrade equipment, so that may backfire.

But again, Windstream is worse than AT&T, so don't expect much out of them.
iowaboy
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA
·Mediacom
·WildBlue

Re: Not surprising

I can agree with they don't repair lines that are bad. The line coming to me can be tested to 1800 feet of me at almost right at 3 Mbps download. Great huh? well go the next pedestal which is 500 feet from me and the speed drops to 1003 kbps. Well the techs reported the issue and even the techs that monitor and try to help out found that there is a issue. Even the techs I speak to on the phone and have sent me 4 modems in 14 months for modem disconnections 4 plus times day can see there is a line issue. Well came down to area manager decided there will never be a line fixed. Our lines are buried and that bundle goes to 3 homes and that isn't enough to fix the issue and make a better, clearer voice calls, that is another story, and also make it so 2 of the homes would have better connection and clearer phone calls. I asked about running a temp line across the ground just as a test to see what would straighten up the issue then we would know for sure. Nope can't do that. I know for a fact that before the sale Iowa Telcom would have done that till they could get a crew out to replace the bundle. Seen them doing before, In fact they did where I used to live. We do have 3 other internet providers where I live, But they do not come out as far as I live. In fact one stops 1800 feet away from me.

Re: Not surprising

As a retired CenturyTel tech (now CenturyLink), looks like you have bad cable. Windstream is up to their eyeballs in debt, so they won't fix anything unless they have to. Seems that Windstream only fixes problems in areas where they have serious competition.

On another note, I visited Iowa for the first time about 10 years ago. Always heard about the endless cornfields and such. I flew into Des Moines and grabbed a car rental and went to Knoxville. Got to see a lot of cornfields there. We have cornfields here too, but not as much as Iowa does. Maybe one day I'll return to Iowa and spend a little more time there.

Good luck with Windstream. You might just need it.

Review by mstre See Profile

• Location: Dorset,Ashtabula,OH
Good "When it works it is ok but that is very seldom!!!"
Bad "Never works and they just make promisses ==monopoly on area!!"
Overall "Stay away"

We signed up for $55.00 and promised 6meg. Three years and we just got 3meg. When we got first bill $80.00!! They just said I was wrong and take it or leave it in so many words knowing they are the only service in the area. The thirty dollars is taxes! We could only get 1.5meg. They said they were updating equipment and should be getting 6meg in a few months. Well its 3 years later and we get 3meg when it works 15 min out of a day!! They have been working on it for a month every day or so and still can't get it to work right. We thought they had it when we got 3meg and the web pages loaded fast but 30 min later back to 0.07 meg. They still can not find the problem after four modems and all new wire in our house. They just keep playing games and not fixing the problem! Two of their hired techs said they have to many customers for the dslam!! All we get is a song and dance when we call and they are the only provider in our area. They are just rip off artist.

Comments:
totalradio

Taxes & fees, et al

The taxes that you speak of are probably "un-fees" that Windstream likes to charge in places where they don't face competition. If they need to raise the price of your connection, they just raise the "un-fees" and they don't have to increase the advertised price.

The problem that most Windstream users have, are that Windstream doesn't upgrade their equipment in those non-competitive area. They don't have to, since DSL is an unregulated product in most states, therefore most PUC's (or PSC's) are powerless to do anything. Even if Windstream wanted to upgrade, they really can't afford to upgrade equipment or cable in wholesale fashion because their debt load simply won't allow them. They need to pay down debt soon.

Windstream will promise an elevator and give you the shaft. The employee "trolls" on here simply will say whatever to try and appease the customer.

I lived in an AT&T area before moving to a Windstream area. I'm lucky that Windstream does have meaningful competition in my area. Coupled that with the largest employer (Georgia Pacific) being their largest customer in the area. Windstream is a far worse company than AT&T and I cannot trust them either.

Don't get me wrong, when I've had a problem that was local in nature, the techs are real good in fixing problems on the local level. Its the tech support that you'll have the problem, since none of them know anything about DSL or the telephone business and Windstream doesn't train them in it.

But like many on here, we feel your pain. Good luck in dealing with Windstream.

You'll need it.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

Re: Taxes & fees, et al

DSL unregulated in most states? Try all states. the FCC has deemed that it is an information service and not subject to regulation.

Rooster

@sbcglobal.net

Bandwidth

Sign up for "DSL Lite" you'll never know the difference.

Review by VTXJENNY See Profile

• Location: Liberty,Casey,KY
Good "nothing good"
Bad "everthing s@cks"
Overall "avoid if possible."

Third world countries have faster internet than Windstream....if there is no incentive (competition) why should they care. The absolute worst customer service...all liars.

Comments:

Review by Nickali28 See Profile

• Location: Cove,Polk,AR
Good "Customer Service Friendly. "
Bad "Oversold circuits with outdated equipment."
Overall "No data caps yet. Poor quality on overutilized old equipment."

I have had a 3Mb DSL service for several years. It was ok in the first year or two. Each year it gets progressively worse. Equipment is over utilized and very outdated. Since I live rurally it is not cost effective to update equipment. As it stands I frequently get around 20% packet loss and less than .2Mb download and upload. Peak hours you may as well forget the internet. Bandwidth is not there. Order and install was easy and straightforward. Customer service has been polite, albeit not helpful. I have been informed they understand what the problem is. Equipment, oversold, etc. but that at this time it is not in plans for upgrade.

Bottom Line: There is no other option in the area for uncapped internet. We have windstream DSL, Satellite, or Cell Phone that is not running 3G. It is the prior speed.

I work from home sometimes and get timed out and have to drive 30 miles to work. Irritating to say the least, but there is no other options. As soon as another viable option is available, windstream is gone.

Comments:
tonyNM

·Windstream

Most unethical, greedy CEO ever.

At least they tell you partial truth. here they just lie and say they are working on it. They do not mention what they are working on or where nor do they have an estimated date of completion. They are simply not upgrading anything here and do not come out and say so.
Nickali28

join:2012-11-24
Cove, AR
·Windstream

Re: Most unethical, greedy CEO ever.

I work in IT and am familiar with a good bit of the ISP Business and basically cut through the tech help and told them what was going on with their own equipment just by using some simple tools and the tech actually agreed with me and told me that my area did have an older piece of equipment. Even gave me the circuit tag that is about a mile from my house. She said it was not in the plans for upgrade and that the new fiber in the area would not affect that equipment either. I suppose the average user wouldn't get so lucky to glean that information out. Customer service has been nice enough but I think they have been told what to say and not to. I live rurally so really am fortunate to have Broadband, but it would be nice if the equipment could get a bump. It would help, but as I understand it's a nationwide Windstream problem.

Espanola, NM

Re: Most unethical, greedy CEO ever.

They could solve it by investing some of the profit they make instead of being greedy and keeping it. Slow down the rate at which they are getting rich at is all they have to do. They will still get rich just not as fast.

Review by nikiinpa See Profile

• Location: Rockton,Clearfield,PA
Good "Nothing, best available internet in area"
Bad "Very slow with wired router, slow again when purchased wireless router"
Overall "Would never recommend this company, says its upgrading & never does"

First when DSL was available I received the wired router, I cannot remember the name of the 1st modem, after that Sagecom 4300, this was replaced at least 3 times over a 5 yr period due to it not working correct or the on off button would stick. Price was 49.95 for DSL service at the time, was included in bundle with phone, originally my bill was around $80. The router & equipment was mailed to me in a timely manner. When there was a problem with the modem I received it free in the mail, after that I had to go with their service agreement monthly charge to get it for nothing.

Ordered the wireless router about 8 months ago, SageMfast 1704 cost $120, waived some type of service charge if I went for their monthly service agreement of $9.95 a month, so I went with that. Received all the equipment in the mail, called tech service to help set it up, it didn't take too long.

I was constantly calling them previous 2 yrs regarding outages and speed, their remarks were they were upgrading and I'd have faster speed soon (which never happened) I quit calling until last week after my movie kept stopping and was told by Roku my internet speed was too slow. After a while you know its a customer service repeated verse to customers.

The Windstream truck was always down at the pole at my property line, apparently the equip at the pole services other customers as well as Comcast customers ( I asked the serviceman being nothing was wrong with my internet or phone at the time & he told me it had to do with Comcast)

Windstream appears to be out for their profits, my service has not been upgraded no matter how many times they said it was coming. The last tech I talked to said I should be glad for the service in a rural area. When I called to see the pricing of phone only it was $16.95 with no long distance, if you wanted long distance the rate was 49.95, no 10¢ a min LD, its was either no long distance or pay the additional $33 to have LD included. Separate DSL 49.95. I realize now they are taking advantage of their rural customers with high rates and horrible service.

Comments:
totalradio

Windstream problems

Windstream always tells people that they're "upgrading", when in fact, they can't afford to right now, given their debt load. Windstream is deep into debt so can't really afford to spend money on upgrading equipment. Only if they HAVE to, will they upgrade.

They used to have a few people who trolled this site trying to "help people", but I suppose they don't want to hear about their shoddy service, or their incompetent tech support. I had an issue a few months ago, and after haggling over their tier 1 support for weeks, even having on of their tier 1 support people tell me that I had no idea what I was talking about, and she hung up on me. I called right back, and actually got someone who was sympathetic of my problem, bumped me up to tier 2 support, told him the problem and got it resolved in 10 minutes. Basically, their tier 1 support has absolutely NO idea what they're doing.

Just for the record, I'm a retired I&R guy from CenturyTel (now CenturyLink) and DSL & special circuits were my area of expertise.

But again, you have to stay on them. Perhaps you'll call tech support and get someone like I did. If you can get past tier 1 support, you might make headway.

Good luck !

Review by tonyNM See Profile

• Location: Espanola,Rio Arriba,NM
Good "It exists"
Bad "It exists"
Overall "Most unethical company in the world"

WIndstream Communications is the worst company in the world. They are greedy, unethical and just plain lie to their customers. Specifically, DSL service in Espanola, New Mexico is as bad or worse as it was 2 years ago. WIndstream is doing nothing at all to upgrade equipment or lines. THis is notning new for this company as a quick look through these forums will tell you. They have a monopoly here thus they have no need to upgrade anything. I am disabled both mentally and physically so basically the internet is my window to the world. Windstream is completely denying me a pleasant quality of life and there is no other broadband to switch. I am at wits end with these liars and quite frankly I see no future. I have extensive files of my dealings with windstream which I want to get out to the media before it is too late but I really do not have the energy for this anymore. Right now my heart is pounding and my nose keeps trying to drip red from the frustration and despair I feel about not being able to live. Windstream techs even toy with me and my illness. early this week I was told by one of the "tech" people online that the issue in my area would be resolved in 2 weeks. Today I find that this just was not true as another "tech" told me he didn't know why the first person had mentioned a fix was coming. They enjoy my helplessness and do not care if they are severely restricting my life.

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Separate the emotion...

Focus on what the actual issues are and write a review about the issues. There isn't much anyone can make out of this review except you claim there to be an issue and it was supposed to be resolved but it hasn't been. That doesn't say much.

·Windstream

Re: Separate the emotion...

Fair enough. THe issue is extreme latency and Windstreams lies. They say they are aware of the problem but they will not do anything to help alleviate it. This high latency issue has existed for over 2 years. I just can't believe how unethical this company is and they are doing it nationwide! Who are they paying off in order to not have been sued yet....hmmm
JimmyGator

join:2010-11-09
Melrose, FL

Simply pathetic. The test result speaks for the service being received.

« SpeedGuide.net Speed Test Results »
80 kbps down (~0.08 Mbps, 10 KB/s)
140 kbps up (~0.14 Mbps, 17 KB/s)
1024 KB downloaded in 105.439 seconds
Latency: 268ms
Provider: dynamic.ip.windstream.net
Location: High Springs, FL, US

Re: Simply pathetic. The test result speaks for the service being received.

I'd be happy with what you get at times. I also discovered that the "techs" here pick and choose who they help. I never received any answers to my IM. Patricia said she would look into it then nothing was done. Typical Windstream.
JimmyGator

join:2010-11-09
Melrose, FL

Re: Simply pathetic. The test result speaks for the service being received.

They should be paying me to 'enjoy' these speeds...

« SpeedGuide.net Speed Test Results »
Latency: 133ms
Provider: dynamic.ip.windstream.net
Location: Melrose, FL, US

Re: Simply pathetic. The test result speaks for the service being received.

You are in FLorida. I am in New Mexico yet it is the same story. How is it that these people have gotten away without a major scandal breaking out nation wide? My guess is big payoffs to politicians. No wonder they can't afford to upgrade our systems, they are buying off Senators and things.

Review by sethf See Profile

• Location: Danielsville,Madison,GA
Good "Direct forum support from Aaron"
Bad "Lack of investment in areas with no competition"
Overall "Adequate if your only choice is between them and satellite or capped wireless"

In the nearly 10 years that Alltel/Windstream has offered DSL in my area they have not made one single upgrade to the available speeds offered outside of increasing the upload to ~650Mbps (after you consider that they do not over provision the upload) a few years ago. Most of the time I get at least 2Mbps down on my 3Mbps line, but more frequently speeds and latency are in the toilet. Windstream will acknowledge the problem and give a stated date for a fix, but that date always gets pushed back. They do not have to fix these issues because there is no competition. The second Charter runs cable down my road (it passes it now) is the day I leave. Windstream is spending all their money on business services and "the cloud" while keeping residential investments in uncompetitive areas at nearly zero.

Comments:

Sammy_D

@windstream.net

Price gouging and poor service.

WIndstream gouges it's customers because they know they are the only one servicing many rural areas.
The service is down so much they owe me months worth of back service- but you know they won't do that.
I'll be glad if or when ATT or somebody gets lines out here - there's is less than half the price for the same service.