Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by sethf See Profile

• Location: Danielsville,Madison,GA
Good "Direct forum support from Aaron"
Bad "Lack of investment in areas with no competition"
Overall "Adequate if your only choice is between them and satellite or capped wireless"

In the nearly 10 years that Alltel/Windstream has offered DSL in my area they have not made one single upgrade to the available speeds offered outside of increasing the upload to ~650Mbps (after you consider that they do not over provision the upload) a few years ago. Most of the time I get at least 2Mbps down on my 3Mbps line, but more frequently speeds and latency are in the toilet. Windstream will acknowledge the problem and give a stated date for a fix, but that date always gets pushed back. They do not have to fix these issues because there is no competition. The second Charter runs cable down my road (it passes it now) is the day I leave. Windstream is spending all their money on business services and "the cloud" while keeping residential investments in uncompetitive areas at nearly zero.

Comments:

Sammy_D

@windstream.net

Price gouging and poor service.

WIndstream gouges it's customers because they know they are the only one servicing many rural areas.
The service is down so much they owe me months worth of back service- but you know they won't do that.
I'll be glad if or when ATT or somebody gets lines out here - there's is less than half the price for the same service.

Review by Austia001 See Profile

• Location: Saint Matthews,Calhoun,SC
Good "was doing good, now bad again..."
Bad "Have had bad internet lag/drops in the past.. Kinda of expensive for 3MB dsl service versus some other carriers."
Overall "I've had my ups and downs but lately the tech support has helped a good bit."

Windstream is a monopoly in my area and can pretty much charge what they want for service apparently.. They are considerably higher rates than other competition for the same service. The fastest DSL I have available is 3MB and it's pretty dang high. I have friends a county over from mine that have 20+MB cable for the same price. They installed Fiber Optic into our network yesterday and the results today seem to be much better.. Time will tell.

Well, 12-27-2013, every evening still having high latency and ping times. Called tech support 3 times, and as of yet, nothing has been done. Sounds about typical from the service I had been getting before..

Comments:

Review by FlaCracker See Profile

• Location: Citra,Marion,FL
Good "It's better than dial up."
Bad "Don't expect this company to come anywhere near the promised download speeds. You will pay for 3 mps and you might get 1.0 mps."
Overall "Use this company only if you have no other option for a DSL or Cable provider."

If you have any other DSL or Cable option, you will be far better off going with that company than Windstream. WindStream has consistently failed to provide even a third of the promised download speed for which they charge. The only reason I am still with them is that there is no other option, other than satellite internet, which has it's own host of problems. Overall, I would say that WindStream is a complete scam for the actual promised download speed. They are more than willing to charge for "high speed" Internet, but are completely unable to keep their promise for "high speed" internet. In addition, they charged for their "professional install service", which ended up in the service man arriving on the wrong date and just leaving the equipment on the front porch. I was forced to self install, even though I was charged for "professional" installation. Windstream is the sort of company that actually needs the Better Business Bureau and government regulation, in order to attempt to detour them from completely ripping off the consumer.

Comments:
tonyNM

join:2014-01-05
Espanola, NM

In addition

They are blatant liars. I can't believe the greed of these people. The one and only thing this CEO believes in is the profit margin. Eventually, there will indeed be a full scale investigation of these completely ethic less people and I sincerely hope criminal charges are filed and the consequences paid for by the policy setters. Really, what kind of people make policy like this? I can just imagine their secret board meetings where they laugh at us, the little people, while they count their money. HEY!! you are already rich. Stop getting richer faster and buy some equipment for us.

Review by mark40511 See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "Fast response time if you go through tier 2 support"
Bad "Will update as time progresses."
Overall "Impressed so much by response time that decided to stay with Windstream"

·Windstream
Update 10/19/2012......Much time has passed and I've been on Broadband 12 mb solo for a few months. Here in Lexington, KY - I have had Windstream for over 8 years. In those 8 years, I have had a couple of bumps along the way but it was pretty quickly resolved. For me personally, I have no issues with Windstream in my location. I realized that's not the case for a lot of more rural Windstream customers. I honestly think it's ridiculous the length of time these folks are having to wait to have their internet as it should be! I mean, (over a year, really?) Hard to believe it's the same company based on what I've been reading on the Windstream Forum.

Update: 5/3/2013

Well in Lexington I've had 12 for quite some time with little to no problems no matter what time of day. I was very happy with it but decided to upgrade to the 24/2 G bond DSL which recently became available in my area....I must say it's very strange and not sure I'm loving it as much as I did the 12 meg connection. Upload is definitely better, but download seems to be just a few megs (IF THAT) above 12. Various speed tests I have done while being LAN connected (I hate wireless) have been around 10 mpbs to 20 mpbs. On speedtest.net I'm only able to get around 20 and if I'm lucky an occasional 24 on the Chicago and Dallas servers, all the rest are much slower and in some cases even slower than 12. I also downloaded a LARGE test file and was only able to max out at 2000 kb/s. Line quality test at pingtest.net always scored A when I had 12, now it scores B EVERY time! HMMM? Ping times/ jitter are a little higher than they were with 12.

Now that ODD part - I have my smart phone which is obviously wireless and my laptop both of which give HORRIBLE speed tests, not even close to 12 mpbs. I agree than LAN is going to always be better than wireless, but prior to upgrading, when I was still on 12 mpbs, all of my wireless devices would reach almost to 12 mpbs. Now on this 24 mpbs package, my wireless devices struggle to get past 5 mpbs. I'm using the same netgear router with the wireless completely disabled in the Comtrend modem.

Don't get me wrong. My internet is very usable and I can totally live with this, but it's NOT 24 mpbs even though modem #'s are good. It just seems like something is wrong somewhere. Another fellow poster who lives in my same zip code describes the same exact issue with the 24 g bond speed.

Will update soon

Update 5/17/2013 ......the 24/2 g bond is doing well for me........I haven't had any latency spikes in a few days now. So far I'm happy with it

Comments:
jin

join:2012-01-15
Hazard, KY

You're lucky

I've been working with tier 2 for a while now, and haven't noticed a difference.

Just more ETA's

windstream sucks
Look around this forum, google it.
AlbertKelley

join:2013-04-26

It is too bad for Lexington, KY Windstream can't deliver

They have friendly, professional employees and good installation. However, product performance is horrible. We have used Insight since 2010 and switched in April 2013 to Windstream based on 24 down/ 4 up promotion. It does not work. At best service is 10 down/ 1 up and there is crackling sounds on phone calls. By comparison, we never have had any problems with Insight in over 3 years. In addition, since installation, Internet connection is lost a least once a day which requires resetting of modem each time. Technical support is unable to correct anything unfortunately. Reluctantly, we are switching back to Insight.

We wish Windstream could truly be a competitor. As of today, there is no competition to Insight in Lexington, KY.

mark40511

join:2004-10-12

Re: It is too bad for Lexington, KY Windstream can't deliver

Actually - the 12 was fantastic for the most part. I always had speeds of 12 at all times on most all devices, even during prime time.........

I know the tech told me that they are doing major upgrades throughout the city of Lexington like he has never seen. I wonder if they just need to work out the bugs. I may go back to 12 because it actually felt like a better experience than 24 so far, as wild as that sounds. I'll give it a bit before to see what happens.
kpatt2006

join:2012-08-14
Greensburg, KY

hahaha ol' Windstream

My friends are in Lexington forced to go with Time Warner because of the apartment they live in. Sometimes their 15mbps drops to around 1mbps for a few minutes. Apparently, there is no such thing as a good DSL service. My dad is on Comcast now just 25 minutes from me at 50mbps for just a few bucks more than what I pay for this wonderful sevice below. Merry Christmas, Windstream. Die.

mark40511

join:2004-10-12

Re: hahaha ol' Windstream

I agree that's SAD ........But there is good DSL in Lexington (at least since 2004 since I've had DSL) I could have switched to Cable a LONG time ago..In fact, I came close a couple of times.., and I would have if my service was that bad, but so far, other than a few small bumps here and there, you would be pretty amazed I think.....especially compared to those terrible speeds...... I wish Windstream would get their act together for EVERYONE, not just the bigger cities with competition. Each time I do a ping test, it's usually in the teens and my speed is usually 23 to 24 no matter what time of day.......The latency spikes are very short and only happening recently.....I will update if they get any worse.

This is with a 2 hour youtube vid playing at the same time I did this test

»www.speedtest.net/result/3188409251.png
FlaCracker

join:2013-12-25
USA
·Windstream

This is my Windstream experience in Florida!

Promised Download speed 3mps... a complete disappointment, a ripoff and a scam! But, because of federal laws it's what I am stuck with.

Review by mark40511 See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "Consistent *most* of the time and no caps"
Bad "Some weird laggy moments"
Overall "Good if you live in Lexington because of competition with Time Warner"

·Windstream
I have been with DSL since 2004 in Lexington KY. It was Alltel, then became Windstream. I've had 3 mb, 6mb, 12mb, and now 24 mb service. My 24/2 service is bonded. When upgrading to the 24/2 , a tech was sent out. The first tech wasn't very good at all. He ended up cutting the line which made my connection speed slower and intermittent......A new tech came out and he was MUCH better. He found the cut after a bit of searching and repaired it. Over the past 5 months or so of having 24/2, my connection has been mosty great with some bumps along the way, but those were fixed quickly. No matter what time of day, I get 24/2 on speedtests, but once in a while (especially recently) there are these weird LAGGY periods where everything seem to come to a halt, but it doesn't last very long and it's back to normal. I have to wonder if it's because of the work they are doing on widening a road outside my subdivision. Who knows? Even still, I think it's pretty consistent. I just wish that if Windstream is doing some type of work in our area that could cause these lag periods, at least let us know with a recording on the phone when we call tech support, because tech support doesn't always know what's going on locally at the CO...

There was a time after a few months that I had an issue of slower than normal speeds. I logged into the Comtrend and noticed one of the lines had lower than usual #'s. The same great tech came out and said he ran a new line, that would later be buried. Finally 2 or 3 weeks later, the company came to bury the line, and they didn't hook it up at the pedestal correctly! Luckily, I had the tech's # and called him. He came out and fixed it and he said he has never seen such a mess in his life that the contractor's who buried the cable left. He said he was sorry and cleaned it up.....

At any rate, all is relatively well now.

Will update if anything changes.

Comments:

Review by mikew See Profile

• Location: Interlachen,Putnam,FL

12-4-2013 I have been experiencing hi latency and low transfer rates for a period of time.
File transfers abort when IP changes, which is frequently. duh!
Oh the agony, can I bill someone for the lost time?

Mike W.

Comments:

Review by jcole3 See Profile

• Location: Florence,Rankin,MS

Comments:

Review by iowaboy See Profile

• Location: Fairfield,Jefferson,IA
Good "Speeds marginally ok"
Bad "constant disconnects and field techs can not figure out why. Speed now 1014kbps on 3Mbpsline"
Overall "stay on top of them. Local field techs are great and care but hands tied"

·Mediacom
·WildBlue
Ordered 3 Mbps package and have 1.5 Mbps reliable speeds. But in end line will only handle 1.5 Mbps. Called for tech support 3 times till I got a internet tech who cared enough to not just transfer me away to someone who really could not handle my issue. Once I got someone who took the ball I was fixed within minutes.

Field techs are great and would not give up till i had a clean line and went out of their way to make sure I was satisfied with my service.

09/12/2013: Well here we are after a few months of service and use the downstream has now dropped to best 1023 kbps and upstream of 380 kbps. Complained about noisy phone when on calls and since they attempted to repair this the speed dropped from 1506 kbps. Am paying for 3 Mbps down for DSL and so far they have refused to allow a discount for the reduced speeds. Field techs did rewire my line from the central office using never used lines and found that a pedestal about 1800 feet from me had 3 meg down. The next pedestal had 1023 kbps and mine has 1023 kbps. From what I can find out they may be not going to fix the line. Still have bad phone service with noise even when talking to my mother who also lives in same town.

I vote to stay away if you have another choice. Even satellite would be better than this.

10/10/2012. Finally done with this company. As soon as cable gets installed I am bailing. Internet connect speeds are lower and lower after each time tech comes to fix a problem they claim nothing is wrong and can't verify issue even though it is in black and while modem logs. Stay away. Even Satellite is better than this company.

member for 10.6 years, 2189 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:
totalradio

join:2007-09-15
·Suddenlink

Windstream Problems

I feel your pain. We in South Arkansas have great field techs. They know their equipment and they know their network. I'm lucky to live about 2000 feet from the CO and we get the speed we pay for, even at peak times.

That said, if you ever have to call tier 1 tech support, they are about as dumb as a box of rocks. They have no tech knowledge, they don't know their product and just flat out refuse to help. My last problem that I had was with my static IP, so I bit the bullet and called tech support. I got lucky and the tier 1 tech support person actually transferred me to tier 2 support. The guy in tier 2 was extremely sharp and recognized my problem. About 5 minutes of work and he told me to reboot my modem. BOOM ! Static IP problem corrected. Smooth sailing since then.

The problem in most areas is that when Windstream bought the smaller telcos, the infrastructure was horrible, and whether or not they knew it, they've never corrected them. In a lot of areas, the cables are bad at best. Couple that with the DSLAMS having inadequate circuits feeding them. When the DSLAMS get full, the speeds to customers are very bad. Combine them with bad cable and the problems are worse. Windstream can't really replace the bad cable in those areas, as its expensive to do so. They can't upgrade the circuits to the DSLAMS because its expensive to do so. Windstream's balance sheet is just as bad as their DSL in most areas, so they can't afford to upgrade the equipment. Once in a great while, an area gets lucky and gets an upgrade and all is well. In our area, Georgia-Pacific is a big customer for Windstream and I think they put a little pressure on Windstream to provide good service and the area benefits from it.

In fairness, Windstream is only one of many telcos that have those problems. I've heard many problems with Fairpoint, Frontier, CenturyLink, and of course Windstream. I've heard few problems with Verizon FiOS, and their huge fiber build outs. And Verizon FiOS has incredible speeds, speeds that I can only dream of, but that's comparing apples & oranges.

Glad you got away from Windstream.
jnoneiliv1

join:2013-10-19
United State

Re: Windstream Problems

I also feel your pain. We don't have cable or FIOS support in our area and older POTS lines to use for DSL and T1. It's not an easy problem to solve, try to be patient. I often get very frustrated, but it really doesn't help and the technicians are often just as frustrated.

Review by Silver_2000 See Profile

• Location: Grand Prairie,Dallas,TX
Good "Allworx phones are good"
Bad "Customer service is awful - in EVERY Way - slow unresponsive - arrogant"
Overall "Avoid them at all cost. Its not worth the pain"

We made the mistake of buying a phone system and network connections from Paetec - which was taken over by Windstream. We have 5 locations, multiple T1's, VOIOP phone system, MPLS network and VPN tunnels. Both Peatec and Windstream have been struggling to meet BASIC service level agreements.

Most recent example is we needed the IP address changed on a VPN tunnel. Its been 32 days and we just NOW have an APPT to START getting the IP address changed. That's ridiculous. Its 5 min worth of work. Not 32 days to resolution 32 days to get to the agent who CAN do the work - I hope.

The worst part is that no one at windstream sees this as a problem. Ive attempted to Escalate, you get lots of talk but NO action, no resolution to the on going customer service failures. Ill be shocked if they are still in business when our contract is up.

I rated the connection reliability as good but Windstream buys T1's from Verizon and ATT so they get NO credit for that.

Update : Windstream acts like a company circling the drain. The response from support takes longer and longer. Its typical to get no response from them. The good news about getting ignored is that if they ignore you at least they arent lying to you ....

Like many customers, We are in the process of breaking our contract due to repeated outages and lack of response. We have replaced ALL of the Windstream provided services and increased our internet speeds by 5x to 12x and saved $2000 a month in the process...

member for 8.8 years, 571 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Mercurybird See Profile

• Location: Hooks,Bowie,TX
Good "Always on, with no interuptions. No outages. Very stable."
Bad "Sometimes slows down to 10, or 8mbps. But always resolves itself."
Overall "Great hassle free service."
(ratings well above consensus)

This is the service they call Green streak. Basic service is the phone line @ $9.87 with fees. 3mbits is $40 and fees. They said $5.00 more would double my speed to 6mbits, then $5.00 more would double it again to 12mbits. So that brings it to $56.52. So it's $66.39 for the 12mbits. Plus the local service taxes, that brings it to $70.00 a month. If I had it dropped back to the original 3mbits, I would save $10.00 a month. The modem is a SpeedStream 4200. I don't use the phone option, so the DSL is a dedicated line. We have the option to go with a cable modem here, and I did that for a while. But I was limited to much slower speed, and crappy crappy cable programming.

While it does slow down a little bit once in a while, it always comes back quickly. I download games from Steam on a regular basis, and they have never hassled me about exceeding some max limit or something like that. Downloads are always trouble free and clean. They told me that if it was flaky at 12mbits where I was, that I would have to drop back. But that hasn't been an issue. We are very happy with what we have.

8/16/11: I started having horrible speed drops, in the evening. Then it got to where it was all the time. I called tech support a few times, and a guy came out and gave me a new Sagemcom 4300 modem, but no better. I called back and they gave the problem to an engineer to check the local something near my home. He called me and said it was taken care of- well it wasn't. Sometimes I was getting a good 56k modem speed. Then I decided to go with the email tech support option. I sent a long file with my results from speedtest.net. A guy got back with me in email and asked me to check my speeds w/o my router in the mix. Same results. He said that was all he needed. Right away, that day I think, the problem went away. And it has been gone to this day. My 12mbit is rock solid. I must say that I am proud of the way they finally got it all straightened out. Thanks Windstream!

5/16/2012: Service and speed continue to be exemplary. I would heartily recommend my ISP to anyone who lives close enough. The only thing I can think of that would make me change at this point, would be a free national broadband package- after they work the bugs out, of course. Oh wait a minute... it's the government. They don't eradicate bugs; they put the bugs in. But I digress. When I call Windstream, on the rare occasion that I have an issue, they never tell me it's my fault. They want me to go through some simple steps, But then they'll move on to their end of the equation. That's just the icing on the cake for me. Again; reliable, consistent, and uninterrupted.

12/6/2012: Service continues to be excellent. There was a while there that things got a little congested. Everything is straightened out and flying high. The internet got down to crap levels in North America, with much of the main routers offline. Texas has two major routers listed, and both of those were down as well. We were slower than South America and a couple of other zones for weeks. We're back up on top now at about 93%. That really took a toll on our performance. Make sure your phone box on the outside of your house is in tip top shape- along with your inside wiring. I get my information on the web from the Internet Traffic Report (ITR Client) from AnalogX.com. My service has been rock solid again with the net getting back up to speed in North America. We're very happy with all aspects of it.

9/30/13: Still could not be more pleased with my ISP. Service continues to be excellent. I have had no interruptions or outages, and no fleeting flakiness. Still getting 12Mb speeds.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

jcaru

@windstream.net

Windsteam cost

So your bill is $66.39 and with taxes it's about $70. And this is for phone and 12Mb. I have phone and 6Mb bill is $54.99 with taxes and surcharges it's over $70. Which is absolutely ridiculous.