Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by relco See Profile

• Location: Aurora,Portage,OH
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Great Tech assistance"
Bad "Speeds not high enough"
Overall "Service is good, fairly reliable but not up to the transfer speed as offered"

I have been getting 425 up and 105 down. Alltel has said I should do better and they would improve the service. So far that hasn't happened.

Comments:

Review by rihtard See Profile

• Location: Sugar Land,Fort Bend,TX
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Mediocre ping times playing RPG's"
Bad "Bad tech support, Bad line speed"
Overall "MyLinuxISP.com sounds like a better choice for all of you peeps in Sugar Land"

*Update* 3/16*

Since we signed a 1 year contract with Alltel there was no way to get out of it.. well i email MyLinuxISP.com and within 15 minutes later i received a responce from them saying that you CAN get out of it. I went to there site and saw, 1.5Mb Down/ 256Kb Up - $45.00, my dad pays 50 a month for HALF of that.

When AllSnail DSL first came to Sugar Land we signed on. Well we were promised UP TO 1.5 MBps but we only get max 650 KBps for $49.99 a month, and we'd only have to pay like $20.00 a month, not $50. For -good- speeds you have to stay up at like 3 am to get to 600 KBps which is pathetic. Avoid Alltel, go with MyLinuxISP.com . We had to buy a router since there were more than 1 computer being connected but we got a free Cisco modem.

Comments:

Review by mattybinyon See Profile

• Location: Cumming,Forsyth,GA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "No PPPoE, Router maintains connection. Tech Sup A++"
Bad "slow delivery of router, dhcp'd dns server failed, had to go static"
Overall "Great overall experience"
(ratings well above consensus)

A friend in the Alltel region asked me to setup his dsl once the router arrived. It took no time at all. The dns server delivered by dhcp failed, but I added them statically and all things worked fine.

Some of the nicer points are that they don't use PPPoE and so the SpeedStream router maintains the connection. We ran into a problem with the Cisco IPSec VPN software losing it's connection, and tech support pointed us directly to the firmware upgrade that solved the problem. The call to tech support was answered on the second ring and the guy knew what he was talking about, but wasn't arrogant. Support for mutiple PCs is great as the dhcp server in the SpeedStream router doesn't quit after handing the first ip address (he has 3 home PCs and work laptop all running dhcp).

The tech was better than any first line rep I've spoken to at BellSouth DSL or Earthlink DSL (great dsl, bad customer service) or Adelphia. I recommend them heartily.

member for 13.1 years, 25 visits, last login: 11.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by rich_in_hous See Profile

• Location: Sugar Land,Fort Bend,TX
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Good tech support, connection performance as advertised: 768k/128k"
Bad "installation to activation took 3 days"
Overall "So far so good!"

Alltel just started offering DSL to my neighborhood in SugarLand (I live in New Territory). Install happened on the scheduled date 2/25/02, but the service activation didn't happen for two more days. Tech support was helpful throughout, though. I've measured the performance of the connection and achieved close to the advertised throughput.

They provided the Speedstream 5660, it seems to be working fine.

- Rich

member for 12.7 years, 39 visits, last login: 12.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by jesnyder See Profile

• Location: Ridgway,Elk,PA
Good "All"
Bad "None that I could find"
Overall "Get it it's a great service"

Hi Everyone, from Ridgway ,Pa
I just got Alltel.net DSL service 756 down128 up and I must say it is great getting speed of
550 to 700 down & 90 to 125 up very good...I'm 11900ft for th co office.

I had Starband for 2 years it's ok if you cant get anything else....but dont even think about it if you can get cable or dsl...Starband seem to have a lot of email problems and keeping the service up...

Very happy as of now....
Joe...

Comments:

Review by testdsl6 See Profile

• Location: Rural Hall,Forsyth,NC
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Tech support has been very helpful with one exception and speed 1050/213 to 1184/218 three fourths of the time.00"
Bad "All lights do not work on router (SpeedStream); too long from order to installation."
Overall "I am satisfied with the service and it is much faster than my 56k modem."

Although I had to call several times to process my order and get help with slow downloads, my ADSL is working well. 30 days is time from order to installation. I did get IPNetTuner to tweak. After two month I am very satisfied. I have called Tech Support a number of times and only once did I not get the help I wanted. I just learned from Tech Support that ADSL comes with 6O hours of dial-up per month. Good when traveling to cities served by Alltell.

Comments:

Review by seananewton See Profile

• Location: Shepherdsville,Bullitt,KY
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Service has yet to go completely down."
Bad "Service is nearly unusable, My dialup from IgLou.com was much faster. :("
Overall "Not worth my time or money."

I ordered Alltel.net's DSL in June of 2001. I had my modem within 48 hours (They shipped it UPS Red) and I thought that was a good sign of things to come. My service turned up before the due date and it was pretty zippy.. Not exactly 768/128, but I knew better than to expect that. Over time though, the service has slowed down considerably. My ping times are so high that I can not play online games and I was downloading last night at 2.47kB/s solid.. Sometimes I get up to 25kB/s and I count my blessings when I'm that lucky. On most evenings I can surf the web, but it takes a long time for pages to come up and generally is frustrating.

Late in June, I sent an email asking about the slowness. I was told that they were working to add capcity to the network at the end of 3rd quarter 2001 and that if my slowness continued, to contact them.

So in December of 2001, I contacted them again. Very detailed e-mail with all the information they might need. I never got a response for this email. So two days ago, (1/13/02) I sent the same email again, saying that I never got a reply.

This time a got a form letter reply saying that slowness is probably related to certain sites on the internet and that there was no guarantee.

THE PROBLEM IS **NOT** WITH THE INTERNET. IT'S THAT YOUR CONNECTION TO THE INTERNET IS BEYOND IT'S CAPACITY

I weep for my contract to end.

Speed Ordered: 768/128
No Static IP's, PPPoA using a Cisco 678 cpe modem/router

Updated: 2002.02.21
I would like to say that over the last month, my service has improved. I have seen in the upwards of 650k downloads (not bad on a 768 line) and ~100k uploads. I am much happier with my service now. I have not tried to play any online games, but overall my latency seems much lower.

Updated: 2002.07.30
Service remains to be solid. I have not had any real problems with the DSL lately.

Comments:

Review by steveymacjr See Profile

• Location: Matthews,Union,NC
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Modem Kit Arrived Overnight, Awesome techincal support"
Bad "none"
Overall "This is a great service, the people are excellent, and the DLs are awesome"
(ratings well above consensus)

I revcieved the modem kit the day after I called to order service. Had to wait 2 more days for DSL to be active, and once it was it has been awesome ever sense. I have had no downtime, I'm consistently getting the same speeds. When I did need tech support the people were very knowledgeable and friendly. I would recommend Alltel to anyone that is needing dsl. THe self install of the modem was pretty easy.. Just followed the little booklet that Alltel sent, all i had to do was plug in the cords and put the microfilters on my line, then i popped the custom alltel configuration disk in and i was done. No one had to come to my house, at all.. I use mine with the Lucent Orinoco Wirelss ethernet device. I love it, I can go anywhere and i have all the wires nice and organized so its doesnt look like a mess..

Its been a year since I started the service and I can say I am very satisfied! They are a great company and offer great service! Any one that wants dsl in their service area should consider ALLTEL......

member for 13.8 years, 1838 visits, last login: 2.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by Busie23 See Profile

• Location: Richfield,Summit,OH
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Tech support is great, modem is easy to set up"
Bad "Coordination is terrible, connection reliability is terrible"
Overall "Would maybe be worth the money if I could 85% of the advertised speed all the time"

I was very excited to be able to get broadband in my area but it has been a big headache thus far. When its working well its pretty cool but that has probably only been a few hours worth of surfing so far. Majority of the time has been slower than Dial up.

I first inquired in the beginning of November when I received a mailer about the DSL service now available. I called right away and was told that they needed to do a line check and that I would receive a call back in 2-3 days. That call never came after a week so I called again and was told that they never placed the line check in the system and that I would here something in a day or two. Again, nothing after a week so I called again and was told that they were busy since it was just rolled out in my area. I let a few more days go by and still heard nothing. By this time my Boss had already signed his contract and was waiting for DSL to get installed so he gave me the number of the lady who set up their account.

I contacted her and my line was checked within two days. Finally, someone who could get something done competently! She emialed the contract over and I had it signed and back to them on the 12th of December. It only took a month to get the contract signed?

I received a reply on the 17th stating that the DSL would be installed on the 20th and that I should receive the modem prior to that day. Well, I was going out of town on the night of the 20th so I figured I could at least get it set up before I left. Well no one showed up on the 20th, nor did the modem. Big surprise! I called home on the 21st and was told that an installer was out and said that the DSL was on and that he would check the modem, but we still didn't have the modem? He was as puzzled as my dad as to why the modem never showed.

Finally the modem decides to show up on the 24th, but no one at my house wanted to try the install so I would have to wait until I get back from my trip to get everything fired up.

I returned on the 29th and had the modem set up and ready to go but wasn't receiving any transmission. I figured out that the installer never converted our second line into our first so we could get rid of the second phone line. I was told that this would be no problem and that it would be taken care of when I signed the contract. At least they still left the second line on so we could use our pc and old dial up AOL junk in the meantime.

I ran a 50 ft cord through the house to our first line but still no DSL? Apparently, our username and password were never entered into the database and I would have to wait until a weekday to talk to someone who could update that info. Luckily, they were in the office on the 31st and my ino was updated. I had to wait an hour before I could try logging in but when I fired it up I had DSL running finally.

I called to get the lines swicthed around on the 3rd but no one could undestand what I wanted done? It was really a simple request: get rid of second line, make it the same as the first line so we can have DSL in our computer room, but no one in customer service could undertstand. A ticket was placed in the system and that went unanswered for sevral days. But our second line was turned off so we couldn't even dial up anymore? I had enough and went out to the box on the house and switched the lines myself, and finally had DSL in the computer and could get rid of the trip wire running through the house.

Initial speeds were about 400/108 for 768/128 advertised, but some help from the tweakers took care of that and got it upto 653/108, but that didn't last long. Only about one night and they went back to 400's for a few days and then I lost service on the night of the 10th. From 6pm on the 10th, Thursday, until the morning of Satuday I had no DSL. When it was finally back up I wsa doing about 20/20 for all of Saturday until late Sunday morning when the speeds went back up to the 653's. But Come Sunday afternoon I'm back down to 48/40? You would think they could fix a cut fiber cable quicker than that, but who knows? They better get some more bandwith laid quick or I'm swicthing to cable ASAP. At least I was told that they have plans for updating the whole area with fiber, but that will take months. I'm sure Adelphia will oversell the area just as bad but I will probably do better than 48/40? I would think that a town that only has about 60 people hooked up would be getting decent speeds but what do I know.

I called to cancel my ticket for the installer to swicth our lines around and what do you know he shows up anyways. My other ticket to check line speed went unanswered for 9 days. I wish they could actually provide service since I'm paying more money and getting speeds that are slower than dial up? Alltel need to get it in gear. Also, no static IP at the lower speeds.

Comments:

Review by MrDeathLNX See Profile

• Location: Commerce,Jackson,GA
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Fast, good deals, friendly tech support"
Bad "Long tech support wait (30 minutes+), So many configuration and activation problems"
Overall "A good deal, but they should do their service like Bellsouth."

ADSL, external, is available, and if you sign up for 2 years, you get a free modem. Setup is a little tough, and I ran into some problems on their side. Activation problems arrised with them, and so it took a couple of days for me to get it up. All the required filters, lines, cabling, etc. was in a handy box, with lots of instructions given. Choice of different configurations were available, but getting the dsl to work (had to call tech support 4 times), was some task. But, overall, an awesome alternative to dial-up.