Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by downinit00 See Profile

• Location: Dahlonega,Lumpkin,GA
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Good Ping, Ok Speeds"
Bad "Tech Support Crappy, Speeds not as advertised"
Overall "The serivce blows but, its all a got..."

ok, i ordered 1.5mbps down 256 kbps up, at like $75 month, took forever for them to give me a strait anser to if i could get dsl, then it turns out the head tech manager in my area dident send word to headquarters, then we got that straitend out, then it took a week to get my dynamic ip number, then when i got it, tested the speeds, i only get 150kbps at the most! And Upload Speeds Are horrible!
The only thing worth doing is playing online games, i never get 1500kbps, i dont even get 200kbps! This Service Blows.... of course speed test say i hit the 1mbit speeds...Isnt kinda wierd that most dsl providers, say 1 thing (ex: 1.5mbps)
and then after you got it, they really meant 1.5megabits-per-second.......

but alltel is 1 of the worst.....

(Sorry, I Used to not know how the internet works, disregaurd the ranting about kb/s and KB/s and mbps.....) Thanks.. (march 23 2004)

Although The Service Did suck when i lived there...

member for 13.3 years, 445 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

• Location: Hudson,Summit,OH
Good "They know how to use phones."
Bad "Unfortunately all they know how to do with them is put on hold and transfer."
Overall "The option of no DSL is better than Alltel DSL."

Well, I've got a horror story for Alltel in Ohio. The service that we have is business DSL. We were trying to get our VPN working, and we needed PPPoE to do that. In four days of downtime they were not able to get it working, so we just turned back to the old service. We then tried the massive saga of trying to change the service to a different line where for about two months so far, the DSL people have told us conflicting reports of what our service would be, when it was going to be installed, how much it was going to cost, and if it would even work for our new number.

We have yet to see service, and we're about to get a different provider so that we can get someone who knows how to do something other than put us on hold.

(review was emailed from domain che.gatech.edu)

Comments:

Review by pmcartney See Profile

• Location: Fulton,Oswego,NY
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "They answer the phone"
Bad "Not enough capacity for customers"
Overall "They suck, get cable they take weeks and lie"

Since July 8th I have had a contract with them. One thing after another first they tell me it's my outside line, then my inside line, then I'm unbalanced then there is noise on the line. They have done this twice over. As of a week ago they claimed their local "pipe" or backbone for subscribers was overloaded and had to order parts from PA. I am disgusted by the poor service. Cable Modem here is much faster and reliable and at this point I look forward to getting out of my contract, have lodged a complaint with the NYS Public Service Commission and feel they have no clue what they are doing and should not have entered into broadband until they knew what they were doing. Now they offer a BETTER deal than I got 3 months ago, 2 mos free, free modem ONE year contract. Meanwhile cable is offering 29.99 for six months of 2mbs service. This company needs to get with it, slow as dirt and I have had it with them. I am supposed to get 768kps down I get around 25 percent of that. PPPoA. I Want OUT of my contract, what do I get from billing when they transfer me? VOICE MAIL to an unknown place 3 out of 3 times.

I am shoving this router up their collective........and getting CABLE.

member for 12.5 years, 42 visits, last login: 11.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by kondor See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Kept all time commitments promised, service as promised"
Bad "Loooooooong wait on Tech Support Line; a bit pricey"
Overall "Excellent experience"
(ratings well above consensus)

I decided to dive into DSL in Lexington after the demons of Verizon/GTE were finally exorcised.

Called AllTel on August 27th requesting information on DSL setup. Received a quote of $49.95 per month (ouch) but that came along with a free modem, a waiver of the $100 setup fee (for 12 month contract) and back-up dial-up service. I was told that the line would need to be tested and that I would hear back within 10 business days.

Received call on Friday, September 6th that the line had tested fine and that a contract and modem would be shipped to me the following week, and that the line was scheduled to be in place by 5pm on September 16th. Modem, filters, contract and setup software received on 9/12 as promised.

Around 6pm on 9/16, the line was still not active. Called technical support. After getting busy signal for 10 minutes, was on hold for 28 minutes waiting for a representative. Not good. Once through to a human, the question and line testing was completed in about 10 minutes, but that included some idle chit chat while waiting. During this time, the line was activated, and all was fine, so while Tech Support was not really needed, good to know the people were sincere and kind.

So, after 13 business days, I am running on DSL, and every date promised to me was delivered. Much better than the 45-60 days quoted by Verizon.

Only live for 7 hours or so, but all in all a very positive experience, and would recommend to anyone who can afford the sticker shock of a price.

Comments:

Review by dundore See Profile

• Location: Clarkesville,Habersham,GA
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "A++ EXCELLENT UP/DOWN SPEED EXCELLENT TECH SUPPORT"
Bad "NEED MORE PEOPLE ON THE PHONE IN TECH SUPPORT BUT ONLY DUE TO A LONG WAIT TIME (ABOUT 10 MIN)"
Overall "EXCELLENT A++"

For only $49.95 a month, the first two months completely free, and a free modem, for 1.5m advertised (1.2m consistantly according to dslreports for the 2 months that i have has it). YOU CAN'T BEAT THIS !!! A++

Comments:

Review by squish1029 See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Initial setup was painless"
Bad "Bad Telephone support, REAL BAD PINGS AT NIGHT"
Overall "If I knew there service was going to go downhill I would have taken road runner"

Update at bottom ***************** New update at end

Well Alltel DSL service started off very well. I signed up for a year and paid $99 for a cisco 677 dsl modem/router. Installation was a breeze. Download speeds of 1400 kb/sec upload 250 kb/sec.

Everything was great. About a month ago, ping times and download times changed dramatically.

I have been monotoring it nightly and I test with about 10 big servers around the country. Ping times go from 80-100 up until 6pm, then they junp to 600 ms until 11 pm.

I'm gonna try and get out of the contract and sign up for road runner.

*****************************************************************************************
Updated 11/26

Alltel seem to for the last week have sorted out there network. I am very happy with the ping times 50-100 all the time.

Updated 06/01/02

I have moved to an area not covered by alltel dsl. I put in the transfer request, and later found out that they had just cancelled my dsl internet access because of no coverage. No call to inform me of this!!

BUT I had overall GREAT service with minimal downtime and other than a few months inbetween, had great pings and downloads. consistantly at 1500 kb

member for 13.6 years, 111 visits, last login: 1.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by tootall9 See Profile

• Location: Lincoln,Lancaster,NE
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "fast connection, good quality of line (rarely down)"
Bad "horrid tech support, do they really know what they are doing?"
Overall "can't complain about line speed for the price, but i wish we had other options"

It took them over 40 days to get the line up and running properly and then they screwed up the voice packet code in the router and had to bring a new router out and they still don't have it figured out to this day (7.29.2002). I'm not sure what kind of tests they retards took to become cisco certified, but damn, maybe the local community college shouldn't offer those courses .

Comments:

Review by Bulletbait0 See Profile

• Location: Eagle,Cass,NE
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Good reliable speed up and down, no down time (yet)"
Bad "Doesn't work with some games (ie. Counter-Strike)"
Overall "Good for the most part"

My DSL was installed flawlessly and even works with our old E-mail program that I was expecting to hace to replace. I get almost my full advertised speed and it has been very reliable so far.

Althought I do have one MAJOR complaint, we bought this connection mainly for gaming and it works with most newer games, BUT it isn't working with Half-life, more specifically Counter-Strike, and this is the main game I play. It seems to connect to the game fine, but at the point of "Initializing and Downloading" to a server, my "in" speed (or d/l from server) drops to negligable levels and I eventually get disconnected form the server. I know this is not a permanent problem, as I have been able to connect to a server on random occasions or after trying to connect maybe 20-30 times. I know this is not a server problem as the one I play on nearly 100% of the time is local (within 10 miles) and many of the people who play on it have DSL or Cable in the area and connect perfectly fine. When I used my 56k modem it worked flawlessly. I have contacted tech support before, but they were unable to help me with the problem as none of the seem to be "gamers"

I hope for Alltel's sake they can find a way to fix this.

Comments:

Review by gperrine See Profile

• Location: Conneaut Lake,Crawford,PA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Easy ordering and installation. Short time from from order placement to installation"
Bad "Need to improve technical support."
Overall "Great performance at a reasonable price."

Customer support was able to explain the options available and quickly process the order. The order turn around time of less than 10 days is very good. With 2 year commitment, they provide a free router, phone filters, and installation. Self insstallation kit is sent directly to you with good documentation on how to install and configure the router. There were some issues with the initial install, but once the service was working, it is great. I was sent the wrong ruoter, so the service wouldn't work. The local phone tech dropped off the correct router the next day. Alltel offers 24 hour technical support as well. However, my experience has been that if you call outside normal business hours, the wait on hold can be long. Due to being shipped the wrong router and an equipment issue at the local phone office, it took 3 days and several phone calls to get things resolved. Now that the service is up, it has been reliable.

Update. For the last 3 months, service has really sucked. Every time Alltel has a problem in their equipment, it takes days to get DSL up and running. Others in the area don't have the problems that I've had. Every time it has been their problem but all I get from support is the run around. The latest was due to a fiber cut on sunday. Damage was repaired by monday morning, yet it took until wednesday night to get my service up and running again and no one can explain why.

Comments:

Review by josephcooper See Profile

• Location: Carthage,Moore,NC
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "800 # tech support pretty smart but they can't effect an on the ground problem"
Bad "Not reliable, service spotty...on site tech's not trained in DSL!"
Overall "Save your $$$ and avoid the flustration"

I canceled after about 2 weeks of poor service. However, at one point I was getting excellent connection speeds until I saw an Altel Service Truck on my street!!!!

After the service truck departed so did my DSL Speed....down from 1.2 to 234!! They could NEVER undo what ever that serviceman did, and he was not even working on my line!!!!