Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by tootall9 See Profile

• Location: Lincoln,Lancaster,NE
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "fast connection, good quality of line (rarely down)"
Bad "horrid tech support, do they really know what they are doing?"
Overall "can't complain about line speed for the price, but i wish we had other options"

It took them over 40 days to get the line up and running properly and then they screwed up the voice packet code in the router and had to bring a new router out and they still don't have it figured out to this day (7.29.2002). I'm not sure what kind of tests they retards took to become cisco certified, but damn, maybe the local community college shouldn't offer those courses .

Comments:

Review by Bulletbait0 See Profile

• Location: Eagle,Cass,NE
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Good reliable speed up and down, no down time (yet)"
Bad "Doesn't work with some games (ie. Counter-Strike)"
Overall "Good for the most part"

My DSL was installed flawlessly and even works with our old E-mail program that I was expecting to hace to replace. I get almost my full advertised speed and it has been very reliable so far.

Althought I do have one MAJOR complaint, we bought this connection mainly for gaming and it works with most newer games, BUT it isn't working with Half-life, more specifically Counter-Strike, and this is the main game I play. It seems to connect to the game fine, but at the point of "Initializing and Downloading" to a server, my "in" speed (or d/l from server) drops to negligable levels and I eventually get disconnected form the server. I know this is not a permanent problem, as I have been able to connect to a server on random occasions or after trying to connect maybe 20-30 times. I know this is not a server problem as the one I play on nearly 100% of the time is local (within 10 miles) and many of the people who play on it have DSL or Cable in the area and connect perfectly fine. When I used my 56k modem it worked flawlessly. I have contacted tech support before, but they were unable to help me with the problem as none of the seem to be "gamers"

I hope for Alltel's sake they can find a way to fix this.

Comments:

Review by gperrine See Profile

• Location: Conneaut Lake,Crawford,PA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Easy ordering and installation. Short time from from order placement to installation"
Bad "Need to improve technical support."
Overall "Great performance at a reasonable price."

Customer support was able to explain the options available and quickly process the order. The order turn around time of less than 10 days is very good. With 2 year commitment, they provide a free router, phone filters, and installation. Self insstallation kit is sent directly to you with good documentation on how to install and configure the router. There were some issues with the initial install, but once the service was working, it is great. I was sent the wrong ruoter, so the service wouldn't work. The local phone tech dropped off the correct router the next day. Alltel offers 24 hour technical support as well. However, my experience has been that if you call outside normal business hours, the wait on hold can be long. Due to being shipped the wrong router and an equipment issue at the local phone office, it took 3 days and several phone calls to get things resolved. Now that the service is up, it has been reliable.

Update. For the last 3 months, service has really sucked. Every time Alltel has a problem in their equipment, it takes days to get DSL up and running. Others in the area don't have the problems that I've had. Every time it has been their problem but all I get from support is the run around. The latest was due to a fiber cut on sunday. Damage was repaired by monday morning, yet it took until wednesday night to get my service up and running again and no one can explain why.

Comments:

Review by josephcooper See Profile

• Location: Carthage,Moore,NC
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "800 # tech support pretty smart but they can't effect an on the ground problem"
Bad "Not reliable, service spotty...on site tech's not trained in DSL!"
Overall "Save your $$$ and avoid the flustration"

I canceled after about 2 weeks of poor service. However, at one point I was getting excellent connection speeds until I saw an Altel Service Truck on my street!!!!

After the service truck departed so did my DSL Speed....down from 1.2 to 234!! They could NEVER undo what ever that serviceman did, and he was not even working on my line!!!!

Comments:

Review by glenfahan See Profile

• Location: Shepherdsville,Bullitt,KY
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "easy setup, good support, good speed"
Bad "speedstream router stinks, no static IP"
Overall "value stinks, $49 is just too much but they have a monopoly"
(ratings well above consensus)

Setup went great. I received the router in a few days. I had to wait about a week for service to be turned on. My speeds are great. I average around 630/110. The only problem I have is no static IP, and the Speedstream router. I think giving out a router that will not stealth is irresponsible. I’m not a security nut, but there are too many good products to settle for junk. Other than that, they are a monopoly since Insight can't get it together. If you're like me and use your computer constantly, it's a necessary evil.

I also had many DNS problems until I hard set them. Now I cruise like a champ.

Comments:

Review by Jester75 See Profile

• Location: Dalton,Whitfield,GA
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Very reliable, Customer Service is excellent!!"
Bad "None that I can think of!!"
Overall "Alltel is an excellent ISP, I would recomend them to anyone!!!"
(ratings well above consensus)

DSL with Alltel is perfect. very rarely do we experience any downtime and the speeds are very consistent. Customer service is dependable and very helpful when you do have to call them. Overall i give them an excellent rating and would suggest them to anyone who asked!!

Comments:

Review by zudokieman See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Lexington,SC
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Stable, good speeds"
Bad "Very limited service choices"
Overall "Once I got over the installation taking forever, I have been pretty happy"

I have a dynamice IP. Would like to have a single static IP but Alltel does not offer that service. That would be enough to make me jump ship as I need a static IP for business purposes, but Alltel is my only choice. Equipment is a Efficient SpeedStream 5660. It works OK, but lacking a few features that I would like to have. The connection is PPPoA so I cannot buy a router that has the features I want for a reasonable price. The install process was a pain. I had to call everyday for almost a week to get them out here to handle the "last mile" setup and then to do the provisioning.

member for 13.5 years, 356 visits, last login: 6.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by relco See Profile

• Location: Aurora,Portage,OH
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Great Tech assistance"
Bad "Speeds not high enough"
Overall "Service is good, fairly reliable but not up to the transfer speed as offered"

I have been getting 425 up and 105 down. Alltel has said I should do better and they would improve the service. So far that hasn't happened.

Comments:

Review by rihtard See Profile

• Location: Sugar Land,Fort Bend,TX
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Mediocre ping times playing RPG's"
Bad "Bad tech support, Bad line speed"
Overall "MyLinuxISP.com sounds like a better choice for all of you peeps in Sugar Land"

*Update* 3/16*

Since we signed a 1 year contract with Alltel there was no way to get out of it.. well i email MyLinuxISP.com and within 15 minutes later i received a responce from them saying that you CAN get out of it. I went to there site and saw, 1.5Mb Down/ 256Kb Up - $45.00, my dad pays 50 a month for HALF of that.

When AllSnail DSL first came to Sugar Land we signed on. Well we were promised UP TO 1.5 MBps but we only get max 650 KBps for $49.99 a month, and we'd only have to pay like $20.00 a month, not $50. For -good- speeds you have to stay up at like 3 am to get to 600 KBps which is pathetic. Avoid Alltel, go with MyLinuxISP.com . We had to buy a router since there were more than 1 computer being connected but we got a free Cisco modem.

Comments:

Review by mattybinyon See Profile

• Location: Cumming,Forsyth,GA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "No PPPoE, Router maintains connection. Tech Sup A++"
Bad "slow delivery of router, dhcp'd dns server failed, had to go static"
Overall "Great overall experience"
(ratings well above consensus)

A friend in the Alltel region asked me to setup his dsl once the router arrived. It took no time at all. The dns server delivered by dhcp failed, but I added them statically and all things worked fine.

Some of the nicer points are that they don't use PPPoE and so the SpeedStream router maintains the connection. We ran into a problem with the Cisco IPSec VPN software losing it's connection, and tech support pointed us directly to the firmware upgrade that solved the problem. The call to tech support was answered on the second ring and the guy knew what he was talking about, but wasn't arrogant. Support for mutiple PCs is great as the dhcp server in the SpeedStream router doesn't quit after handing the first ip address (he has 3 home PCs and work laptop all running dhcp).

The tech was better than any first line rep I've spoken to at BellSouth DSL or Earthlink DSL (great dsl, bad customer service) or Adelphia. I recommend them heartily.

member for 13.3 years, 25 visits, last login: 11.7 years ago