Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by glenfahan See Profile

• Location: Shepherdsville,Bullitt,KY
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "easy setup, good support, good speed"
Bad "speedstream router stinks, no static IP"
Overall "value stinks, $49 is just too much but they have a monopoly"
(ratings well above consensus)

Setup went great. I received the router in a few days. I had to wait about a week for service to be turned on. My speeds are great. I average around 630/110. The only problem I have is no static IP, and the Speedstream router. I think giving out a router that will not stealth is irresponsible. I’m not a security nut, but there are too many good products to settle for junk. Other than that, they are a monopoly since Insight can't get it together. If you're like me and use your computer constantly, it's a necessary evil.

I also had many DNS problems until I hard set them. Now I cruise like a champ.

Comments:

Review by Jester75 See Profile

• Location: Dalton,Whitfield,GA
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Very reliable, Customer Service is excellent!!"
Bad "None that I can think of!!"
Overall "Alltel is an excellent ISP, I would recomend them to anyone!!!"
(ratings well above consensus)

DSL with Alltel is perfect. very rarely do we experience any downtime and the speeds are very consistent. Customer service is dependable and very helpful when you do have to call them. Overall i give them an excellent rating and would suggest them to anyone who asked!!

Comments:

Review by zudokieman See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Lexington,SC
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Stable, good speeds"
Bad "Very limited service choices"
Overall "Once I got over the installation taking forever, I have been pretty happy"

I have a dynamice IP. Would like to have a single static IP but Alltel does not offer that service. That would be enough to make me jump ship as I need a static IP for business purposes, but Alltel is my only choice. Equipment is a Efficient SpeedStream 5660. It works OK, but lacking a few features that I would like to have. The connection is PPPoA so I cannot buy a router that has the features I want for a reasonable price. The install process was a pain. I had to call everyday for almost a week to get them out here to handle the "last mile" setup and then to do the provisioning.

member for 13.6 years, 356 visits, last login: 6.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by relco See Profile

• Location: Aurora,Portage,OH
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Great Tech assistance"
Bad "Speeds not high enough"
Overall "Service is good, fairly reliable but not up to the transfer speed as offered"

I have been getting 425 up and 105 down. Alltel has said I should do better and they would improve the service. So far that hasn't happened.

member for 13 years, 1 visits, last login: 13 years ago

Comments:

Review by rihtard See Profile

• Location: Sugar Land,Fort Bend,TX
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Mediocre ping times playing RPG's"
Bad "Bad tech support, Bad line speed"
Overall "MyLinuxISP.com sounds like a better choice for all of you peeps in Sugar Land"

*Update* 3/16*

Since we signed a 1 year contract with Alltel there was no way to get out of it.. well i email MyLinuxISP.com and within 15 minutes later i received a responce from them saying that you CAN get out of it. I went to there site and saw, 1.5Mb Down/ 256Kb Up - $45.00, my dad pays 50 a month for HALF of that.

When AllSnail DSL first came to Sugar Land we signed on. Well we were promised UP TO 1.5 MBps but we only get max 650 KBps for $49.99 a month, and we'd only have to pay like $20.00 a month, not $50. For -good- speeds you have to stay up at like 3 am to get to 600 KBps which is pathetic. Avoid Alltel, go with MyLinuxISP.com . We had to buy a router since there were more than 1 computer being connected but we got a free Cisco modem.

Comments:

Review by mattybinyon See Profile

• Location: Cumming,Forsyth,GA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "No PPPoE, Router maintains connection. Tech Sup A++"
Bad "slow delivery of router, dhcp'd dns server failed, had to go static"
Overall "Great overall experience"
(ratings well above consensus)

A friend in the Alltel region asked me to setup his dsl once the router arrived. It took no time at all. The dns server delivered by dhcp failed, but I added them statically and all things worked fine.

Some of the nicer points are that they don't use PPPoE and so the SpeedStream router maintains the connection. We ran into a problem with the Cisco IPSec VPN software losing it's connection, and tech support pointed us directly to the firmware upgrade that solved the problem. The call to tech support was answered on the second ring and the guy knew what he was talking about, but wasn't arrogant. Support for mutiple PCs is great as the dhcp server in the SpeedStream router doesn't quit after handing the first ip address (he has 3 home PCs and work laptop all running dhcp).

The tech was better than any first line rep I've spoken to at BellSouth DSL or Earthlink DSL (great dsl, bad customer service) or Adelphia. I recommend them heartily.

member for 13.4 years, 25 visits, last login: 11.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by rich_in_hous See Profile

• Location: Sugar Land,Fort Bend,TX
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Good tech support, connection performance as advertised: 768k/128k"
Bad "installation to activation took 3 days"
Overall "So far so good!"
(ratings well above consensus)

Alltel just started offering DSL to my neighborhood in SugarLand (I live in New Territory). Install happened on the scheduled date 2/25/02, but the service activation didn't happen for two more days. Tech support was helpful throughout, though. I've measured the performance of the connection and achieved close to the advertised throughput.

They provided the Speedstream 5660, it seems to be working fine.

- Rich

Comments:

Review by jesnyder See Profile

• Location: Ridgway,Elk,PA
Good "All"
Bad "None that I could find"
Overall "Get it it's a great service"

Hi Everyone, from Ridgway ,Pa
I just got Alltel.net DSL service 756 down128 up and I must say it is great getting speed of
550 to 700 down & 90 to 125 up very good...I'm 11900ft for th co office.

I had Starband for 2 years it's ok if you cant get anything else....but dont even think about it if you can get cable or dsl...Starband seem to have a lot of email problems and keeping the service up...

Very happy as of now....
Joe...

member for 14.1 years, 175 visits, last login: 8.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by testdsl6 See Profile

• Location: Rural Hall,Forsyth,NC
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Tech support has been very helpful with one exception and speed 1050/213 to 1184/218 three fourths of the time.00"
Bad "All lights do not work on router (SpeedStream); too long from order to installation."
Overall "I am satisfied with the service and it is much faster than my 56k modem."

Although I had to call several times to process my order and get help with slow downloads, my ADSL is working well. 30 days is time from order to installation. I did get IPNetTuner to tweak. After two month I am very satisfied. I have called Tech Support a number of times and only once did I not get the help I wanted. I just learned from Tech Support that ADSL comes with 6O hours of dial-up per month. Good when traveling to cities served by Alltell.

Comments:

Review by seananewton See Profile

• Location: Shepherdsville,Bullitt,KY
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Service has yet to go completely down."
Bad "Service is nearly unusable, My dialup from IgLou.com was much faster. :("
Overall "Not worth my time or money."

I ordered Alltel.net's DSL in June of 2001. I had my modem within 48 hours (They shipped it UPS Red) and I thought that was a good sign of things to come. My service turned up before the due date and it was pretty zippy.. Not exactly 768/128, but I knew better than to expect that. Over time though, the service has slowed down considerably. My ping times are so high that I can not play online games and I was downloading last night at 2.47kB/s solid.. Sometimes I get up to 25kB/s and I count my blessings when I'm that lucky. On most evenings I can surf the web, but it takes a long time for pages to come up and generally is frustrating.

Late in June, I sent an email asking about the slowness. I was told that they were working to add capcity to the network at the end of 3rd quarter 2001 and that if my slowness continued, to contact them.

So in December of 2001, I contacted them again. Very detailed e-mail with all the information they might need. I never got a response for this email. So two days ago, (1/13/02) I sent the same email again, saying that I never got a reply.

This time a got a form letter reply saying that slowness is probably related to certain sites on the internet and that there was no guarantee.

THE PROBLEM IS **NOT** WITH THE INTERNET. IT'S THAT YOUR CONNECTION TO THE INTERNET IS BEYOND IT'S CAPACITY

I weep for my contract to end.

Speed Ordered: 768/128
No Static IP's, PPPoA using a Cisco 678 cpe modem/router

Updated: 2002.02.21
I would like to say that over the last month, my service has improved. I have seen in the upwards of 650k downloads (not bad on a 768 line) and ~100k uploads. I am much happier with my service now. I have not tried to play any online games, but overall my latency seems much lower.

Updated: 2002.07.30
Service remains to be solid. I have not had any real problems with the DSL lately.