Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by bpinch See Profile

• Location: King,Stokes,NC
Good "Finally In King.... seems to meet specs"
Bad "none yet"
Overall "So far so good"

Granted I have only had it for a day, However I recieved a call from the Charlotte Raleigh offices on Installation day stateing that they did not have any of the routers in stock, and they were going to reschedule me for 7 working days later. Luckly the local installation guy had one in his truck and came on out about 2 pm. Tested my line and about 10min later I had it up and running. I have noticed an occational drag here and there... seems to hang a bit now and then. Unforunately I have not had enough time to track it down, and will give another report in a few weeks. Only other problem is... I had recently ( 1month ago) lost my antiquated cable modem ( Netunlimited canceled everyones service). In desperation I called there Alltel's ADSL availibility line and was told that it was not availble and no one knew when it would be, so I asked about ISDN service (which is availble) and they stated that a rep would have to return my call. Luckly that Rep is also the DSL Rep! DSL has now been availble for almost 4 weeks in King and is the only broadband option here. You will also have to wait about 10 days for the install. They use Efficient Networks 5660, DSL modem/Residental Gateway.

Comments:

Review by sync9 See Profile

• Location: Sugar Land,Fort Bend,TX
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
  • Telco party AllTel
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "None"
Bad "Inaccurate information, uninformed."
Overall "Avoid Alltel."

********************

*** Update*** Today 9/13/2001 I received (get ready for this) a 900Mhz telephone! Even better this is the exact day that I was supposed to receive my DSL modem from Alltel. Even better, I was assured several times that all shipments have been canceled from Alltel and I should not receive my DSL modem since I canceled before the contract even began. Hmm I honestly do not recall ordering a phone since I already own three in my house and they are all perfectly suited for my use.

So hypothetically if I did keep my order I would have in fact received: One 900Mhz telephone instead of the DSL modem that was ordered for me... Now I have the headache of clearing up another Alltel mess...

********************

First of all it took over 3 weeks for Alltel to verify a loopback test. Each time I was

told to call back in a week and they would know more at that time. The third time I called (3rd week) they said I did qualify and that I should get a call saying when the service was availble. On fourth call I was connected directly to a DSL service rep who said that all I needed to do was place an order. After finding this out I realized that I probably would have saved 1.5 weeks if I was connected to the DSL sales department in the first place.

While I spoke with the DSL service rep, I learned about Alltel's DSL service and was going over the different plans available for bandwidth speed and access types. A previous review posted here correctly listed all the options and rates so I will not need to cover them here. After placing the order for a tier access I liked, I was told I would have to wait another 10 days before DSL would be available and Alltel will ship the modem to me. This is now totaling over 4 weeks of waiting.

What I do wish to have clearly covered on how I was told there were no penaltites for canceling the contract. On _three_ seperate occasions I clearly asked that there were no penaltities for the contract the service rep spoke about. I even further illistrated the point by drawing out that if I go with a 2 year contract they would wave the DSL modem cost and that again there would be no penality fees. I was again assured that there will be no penality fees.

I felt fairly satisfied that I had covered all the bases but I still had a nagging feeling about how the service rep kept stressing "contract". I have been with other dial up and broad band service providers before and usually when the word "contract" appears then there will be penaltites.

After thinking further about on the following day (Sunday) I decided to call and speak with another service rep to make sure that I was not off base about the services offered by Alltel. I decided to call the number listed on the website under Alltel's DSL section and this is what happened:

I called the 1888 9alltel number that was listed as the number to call for DSL access and I was told that highspeed Internet access was no longer available. After further checking and explaining to the service rep how suddenly broadband acess was suddenly not available, the Service Rep was able to redirect me with 800 899 0449 number that was supposed to be a direct dial. I then was connected to another Service Rep and he then explained to me that this is NOT the number for DSL access. Also the same Service Rep could not even verify the number I called to reach him to see if I was misdirected to the wrong number. He then offered another number 1 800 888 8523. After dialing this number I received a fast busy tone.

To say the least I was shocked at the lack of organization that Alltel has displayed. Based upon the experience I received, I must decline from subscribing to Alltel Internet service or even recommending it to another customer on this single day experince alone.

The following day (Monday) I called the number that was given during my order and promptly canceled my order placed with Alltel. Even further, I received the "contract" in the mail from Alltel and in a full bold paragraph at the bottom on the first page, it clearly stated the penlaity fees associated with a one or two year contract. In short the two year contract that I opted for, if I canceled with only a few months use, I would be fined $200 plus be required to ship back the DSL modem or incur another $99 fee. Even if I had less than one year I would still owe a $100 penality fee and $99 for the DSL modem, again unless I shipped the modem back to them.

To say the least I felt very angry that such information with _not_ given to me during my orginal order. Even further I felt this was borderline deceptive. I have been in the computer industry for over 15 years and have used many ISP's over the years. If it was not for my nagging feeling about why Alltel kept using the term contract vs subscription - I would be a very angry new Alltel customer at this moment.

Before subscribing to any ISP check around as much as possible and see what other customers think about the service. I did and even then I was almost boxed into Alltels "contract".

Comments:

Review by lfd2311 See Profile

• Location: Lewisville,Forsyth,NC
Good "NONE"
Bad "Alltel is the only DSL/ISP combo I can use here-no choice DOWN ALOT!!!!!"
Overall "STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go with Road runner"

When I decided to get high speed I had 2 choices Alltell DSL and Road Runner Cable. In order to connect mutiple comupters with cable I would need an IP address for each machine, and each IP cost $10 a mo. Cable is faster around here but at some point in time I think the shared bandwidth will bite them. I chose DSL because I can hook multiple computers through a hub and have 1 IP adress. I called Alltel to set up the order and the sales guy was very nice but was not a wealth of info (an order taker). He told me the service would be instaled on a friday and the router would be delivered before this. On Thursday (the day before I was told the service would start) I called tech support to find out where the router was. I was told that I was not sceduled to be hooked up utill Monday (3 days later than I was promised) when I protested I was informed they were to busy to get it hooked up untill monday and I would recive the router then. When that monday arrived I hooked up the router and was online in no time ( the router came ready to go with all the info in). One thing I really hate is I HAVE TO USE Alltel as my ISP. But DSL beats the daylights out of dial up and the service has been very good since it got hooked up. I have called Tec suppert a couple of times and they are great!

UPDATE 8-29-01

ALLTEL IS DOWN FOR THE 4TH TIME IN 9 DAYS. I CALLED TEC SUPPORT AND THEY SAID NC & SC WERE DOWN SO I CANCELED THE SERVICE TODAY. I ALSO CALED ROAD RUNNER AND SIGNED UP. I WILL REVIEW THEM WHEN THE TIME COMES.

IF YOU WANT HIGH SPEED INTERNET THAT WORKS STAY AWAY FROM ALLTELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments:

Review by lordxero See Profile

• Location: Live Oak,Suwannee,FL
Good "Nice speed"
Bad "packet loss"
Overall "they're alright"

before ive had some major problems, but now they are smoothed out, I suppose
just get major packet loss
I hope this gets fixed!

Leonard

member for 13.5 years, 570 visits, last login: 5.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by mathia5 See Profile

• Location: West Columbia,Lexington,SC
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "fast and reliable connection 3meg download 512 upload"
Bad "none at this time"
Overall "more consistant speed than cable techs seem more knowledgable"
(ratings well above consensus)

So far the alltel dsl experiance has been great. The install was flawless every thing worked the day they said it would, and hasn't stoped. Speed has been consistantly around 650+ kbps download and 108-111kbps upload.

Recently my service went from the 768/128 I was promised, and have been very happy with to 1536/256 which I am very very happy with.

member for 13.1 years, 192 visits, last login: 9.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by whobrey See Profile

• Location: Lincoln,Lancaster,NE
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "There were no major problems"
Bad "The installation instructions were minimal"
Overall "I got what I paid for"

They handed me a contract and a router and told me to do it myself. It took me awhile to figure it out, but in the end the installation was fairly easy. Then I turned it on and tried to use it - Nothing. I rechecked everything a few times, and finally called tech support. Apparently I was supposed to do that, and they turned on their end and configured my modem while I waited. After that, everything worked fine, and throughput has consistantly been a reasonable 330k down/ 240 k up.

My only complaint is that the instructions should tell you that after installing the hardware you need to call them to turn it on. I did have a few other problems, but they weren't related to Alltel, they were related to my internal phoneline network. Also, tweaking the MTU improves performance a bit (consult the tweaking forum).

Comments:

Review by splash4500 See Profile

• Location: Lincoln,Lancaster,NE
  • CLEC party: AllTel

This company was purchased by Alltel. You don't get anywhere near the
bandwidth you should get for a $65.00 a month DSL connection. The
contract is for two years, I purchased the Cisco 675 router and can't
even access it to fine tune. The tech support is absolutely worthless
and the bandwidth continues to get worse. Unfortunately, our options
in Lincoln are kinda limited. Will be looking into RoadRunner
(Time Warner cable), as a possible alternative.

Comments:

Review by woodman88 See Profile

• Location: Mount Washington,Bullitt,KY
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "They act like they care????"
Bad "Their service sucks"
Overall "SLOW, SLOW, SLOW"

I have been using Alltell ADSL services for 4 months now and it has been nothing but TROUBLE! Slow from the get go. I called and they said will give us a month were doing this and were doing that and your connection should speed up? Will its gotten worse. I kept a log of my connections today here they are:

12:00 pm- 663(down) 111(up) this aint bad, my hopes were so HIGH
4:00pm-405/67
8:00 pm-295/98
10:00 pm-45/73
I'm pinging 700(high) 400(low)

Got same thing today when dude came out. Well were doing this and by the end of week it will all be better. Yeah right, there signing all these new ppl up with out the proper resourses and are screwing everyone.
They sucker you in to signing a 2 year contract then give you crappy service because they know you wont pay the $300 bucks to get out of it.
STAY AWAY FROM ALLTEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments:

Review by jtolbert See Profile

• Location: Meadville,Crawford,PA
  • Telco party AllTel

cant get thru to tech support. Just spent 25 minutes being bounce around. I don't have ALLTEL internet, just ADSL. In the past I have been connected to 2nd level tech support with no trouble, now no one seems to know who that is. Says I have to wait until Monday to have the line tested?!?!?! In the past, they did that while I was on the phone. Have had very slow speeds for 4 days now. UPDATE...down again....seems like they keep losing a router in Export PA. Supposedly have Cisco 5th level support on hand...apparently when rebooted it runs for a few days the craps out again....told me I'd get a refund for poor service but I have yet to see it....

member for 13.4 years, 98 visits, last login: 12.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by mb2612 See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "reliable"
Bad "slow as hell"
Overall "go with cable if available"

It took a month for me to get my modem because of some confusion at the warehouse but I tolerated that. My speeds have been less than acceptable though. Although I'm capped at 750 dn, I would be happy to see half that. Often my speeds are less than 200 kb at dslreports speed tests. I've complained to tech support but the last guy i spoke with did no troubleshooting, he just blamed it on internet congestion. He really didnt even seem to care, he just said he can't help. I know that sometimes there is latency on the internet that causes slow speeds but Alltel didnt even ask me about my traces or pings (which did indicate problems before hitting the backbone). If you can get cable, get it because you don't want to get locked in to this silly contract like me. I have been impressed with the local alltel people though, the technicians who came out were fast and seemed to know what they were doing.

member for 13.2 years, 34 visits, last login: 10.4 years ago