Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by mathia5 See Profile

• Location: West Columbia,Lexington,SC
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "fast and reliable connection 3meg download 512 upload"
Bad "none at this time"
Overall "more consistant speed than cable techs seem more knowledgable"
(ratings well above consensus)

So far the alltel dsl experiance has been great. The install was flawless every thing worked the day they said it would, and hasn't stoped. Speed has been consistantly around 650+ kbps download and 108-111kbps upload.

Recently my service went from the 768/128 I was promised, and have been very happy with to 1536/256 which I am very very happy with.

Comments:

Review by whobrey See Profile

• Location: Lincoln,Lancaster,NE
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "There were no major problems"
Bad "The installation instructions were minimal"
Overall "I got what I paid for"

They handed me a contract and a router and told me to do it myself. It took me awhile to figure it out, but in the end the installation was fairly easy. Then I turned it on and tried to use it - Nothing. I rechecked everything a few times, and finally called tech support. Apparently I was supposed to do that, and they turned on their end and configured my modem while I waited. After that, everything worked fine, and throughput has consistantly been a reasonable 330k down/ 240 k up.

My only complaint is that the instructions should tell you that after installing the hardware you need to call them to turn it on. I did have a few other problems, but they weren't related to Alltel, they were related to my internal phoneline network. Also, tweaking the MTU improves performance a bit (consult the tweaking forum).

Comments:

Review by splash4500 See Profile

• Location: Lincoln,Lancaster,NE
  • CLEC party: AllTel

This company was purchased by Alltel. You don't get anywhere near the
bandwidth you should get for a $65.00 a month DSL connection. The
contract is for two years, I purchased the Cisco 675 router and can't
even access it to fine tune. The tech support is absolutely worthless
and the bandwidth continues to get worse. Unfortunately, our options
in Lincoln are kinda limited. Will be looking into RoadRunner
(Time Warner cable), as a possible alternative.

Comments:

Review by woodman88 See Profile

• Location: Mount Washington,Bullitt,KY
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "They act like they care????"
Bad "Their service sucks"
Overall "SLOW, SLOW, SLOW"

I have been using Alltell ADSL services for 4 months now and it has been nothing but TROUBLE! Slow from the get go. I called and they said will give us a month were doing this and were doing that and your connection should speed up? Will its gotten worse. I kept a log of my connections today here they are:

12:00 pm- 663(down) 111(up) this aint bad, my hopes were so HIGH
4:00pm-405/67
8:00 pm-295/98
10:00 pm-45/73
I'm pinging 700(high) 400(low)

Got same thing today when dude came out. Well were doing this and by the end of week it will all be better. Yeah right, there signing all these new ppl up with out the proper resourses and are screwing everyone.
They sucker you in to signing a 2 year contract then give you crappy service because they know you wont pay the $300 bucks to get out of it.
STAY AWAY FROM ALLTEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

member for 12.9 years, 17 visits, last login: 12.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by jtolbert See Profile

• Location: Meadville,Crawford,PA
  • Telco party AllTel

cant get thru to tech support. Just spent 25 minutes being bounce around. I don't have ALLTEL internet, just ADSL. In the past I have been connected to 2nd level tech support with no trouble, now no one seems to know who that is. Says I have to wait until Monday to have the line tested?!?!?! In the past, they did that while I was on the phone. Have had very slow speeds for 4 days now. UPDATE...down again....seems like they keep losing a router in Export PA. Supposedly have Cisco 5th level support on hand...apparently when rebooted it runs for a few days the craps out again....told me I'd get a refund for poor service but I have yet to see it....

member for 13.3 years, 98 visits, last login: 12.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by mb2612 See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
Good "reliable"
Bad "slow as hell"
Overall "go with cable if available"

It took a month for me to get my modem because of some confusion at the warehouse but I tolerated that. My speeds have been less than acceptable though. Although I'm capped at 750 dn, I would be happy to see half that. Often my speeds are less than 200 kb at dslreports speed tests. I've complained to tech support but the last guy i spoke with did no troubleshooting, he just blamed it on internet congestion. He really didnt even seem to care, he just said he can't help. I know that sometimes there is latency on the internet that causes slow speeds but Alltel didnt even ask me about my traces or pings (which did indicate problems before hitting the backbone). If you can get cable, get it because you don't want to get locked in to this silly contract like me. I have been impressed with the local alltel people though, the technicians who came out were fast and seemed to know what they were doing.

member for 13.2 years, 34 visits, last login: 10.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by Lynlee See Profile

• Location: Elyria,Lorain,OH
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "50% of Rated (1536kbps) download speed & 95% of upload rating of 256kbps. Always courteous/patient on phone."
Bad "Won't try to fix speed over 5-600kbps even if rated 1536kbps. Frequent short outages. Ping to Alltel gateway slow, 40-80"
Overall "Don't expect much help if you get 1/4 to 1/3 of rated speed. $ rates are OK for what ya get."

An Updated Review and grade done! For the Better!

Well Well Well!! Alltel did serious troubleshooting of my line! I finally had the opportunity to talk with someone who would take the time to try and figure out why I was getting such slow speeds.. However, it DID take a complete failure.. IE: no DSL for 3 days..

G. was my Tech Troubleshooter at the office and V. was the site man.. Both were very patient, polite and best of all very knowledgeable.. The cessation of service was NOT the DSL service as we expected, since we had been getting a steady drop in speed and increased latency for several months.. In the end, before the complete failure we were lucky to see 300kbps, 100s to 200s were the norm. That's a far cry from the 900 to 1000 we had when we signed up in Feb of 2000 and enjoyed for awhile until line congestion.. There were new routers installed in Huron, I believe, where there was a serious bottleneck to Alltels gateways. We were enjoying 900s again after they added additional T1s.

They found a very bad connection in OUR House! Upon fixing the connection, I ran a speed test thur University of Michigan and got 958kbps.. They had also changed the 'pins' my connection was on and did some other tweaks at the phone co. I don't know what they did.. I was fortunate to have G. helping me.. He lives a few short blocks away from me.. He also is able to get high speeds. So, with the tweaks and the repair of my lines, I am finally a very happy Alltel ADSL surfer.. I want to give G. and V. my sincere thanks for their diligence, kindness and know how..

Peace... --* Lynlee

================ First Review ==============

We ordered ADSL from Alltel in Early Feb.. Our line was turned on and operating by 3 weeks later.. We had to go and buy the Cisco 677 kit and install it ourselves. No one from Alltel bothered to tell us about the Web page help, nor did they even suggest that one of their people come out and install it. Our lan and Router is connected using a 5port hub with one 3Com lan card in

each computer using Windows 98SE.

I have been connected to Alltel ADSL (Dynamic IP/PPP) since Feb.'00.. At first we consistantly averaged download speeds of .75 to 1.0 MEGs/sec.. 0.75Megs/sec Was daytime speed. We are rated Tier1 1536K/sec down and 256K/sec up. I expected at least 75% of the 1536K/sec download speed I was cleared for. Now I'm lucky if I see speed of 50K/sec down.. More often than not it runs in the 30s & 40s. Yesterday (9-26) I was getting 2.7K/sec!! Never a problem with upload speed and minimal packet loss.. HOWEVER, I quite often see my first hop speeds near 100ms, to Alltels gateway.

Tech Support personel are ALWAYS polite! Initially, Tech support, had me making silly changes to my system.. IE: open my lan up to NetBIOS was one (anyone see a security problem with that?), re-installing my LAN/TCPip services, forcing me to go thru my settings every time I called, before they would pass me on to someone who knew what _I_ was talking about.

I last talked to Tech/Tester this day.. He said they will have someone test my line electronically to see if there is a problem in my city/neiborhood. After all these months I honestly hope they find something so they can FIX it!! I see the local cable companys user are getting consistantly faster speed than me!

member for 14.3 years, 310 visits, last login: 7.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by cfsdfnj See Profile

• Location: Heath,Licking,OH
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Pings at 50-70ms, More than 80% of Advertised Line speed..."
Bad "Mail server problems still..."
Overall "Alltel is great!"
(ratings well above consensus)

Well I have finnally seen a vast improvement in Alltel DSL services here in licking county ohio... I went from pings around 1500ms and 15/5 line speeds for over two months... They told me to hang in there while they upgraded their DS3 lines for there existing T1s. I got a call from them telling me that the installation was complete. =) Well i have noticed a very good speed improvement before this day for over a month now. I am getting about 50-70ms all the time. I am also geting about 1298kbps down and / 258 kbps up. I am very please with this service and i have no problems...

member for 13.3 years, 50 visits, last login: 12.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by eros8 See Profile

• Location: Lincoln,Lancaster,NE
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "I am still thinking...."
Bad "100k connection speed on a promised 384k line. Frequent packet loss, horrible support, expensive"
Overall "Get RoadRunner, you will thank me."

I was one of the first people with DSL and loved it at first. The first year was great with solid connections and reliable speed. After a while it started to get worse and suddenly my connection speeds were about 2 or 3 times better than a modem. What the heck was I paying 38.95 and 20 for my ISP for? I changed to Roadrunner and now pay 39.95 and I get speeds at 1700-1900k now and I love it.

member for 13.7 years, 23 visits, last login: 11.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by bentl1 See Profile

• Location: Sugar Land,Fort Bend,TX
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "At least it is some type of broadband service, in an area of few choices"
Bad "Slow, slow and slow and proud of it!"
Overall "Slow and they could care less."

Alltel is of the opinion that one half to one third of their advertised speed is OK. They do not care that the ping rates are outrageous. Had I lived just two miles closer, I could have had SW Bell for ten dollars a months less. A year sooner. And SW Bell would have given me the modem...instead I had to buy mine.....Have a problem? It must be in your computer....Alltel is not responsible for that. Have a nice day..........When the DSL goes down(which can be for days), they will lie as to the cause. After six months of calls, they increased my speed to 1.5 down at no additional charge....Yeah, right...It's still only about 700......If another provider is availabIe, use it. Stay away from Alltel. I can't wait for cable!!