Windstream page on DSLReports

• Location: Bolivar,Polk,MO
(ratings well above consensus)

The people that help to install DSL for me were very helpful. Few times, the speed slowed down when the local internet traffic was heavy but speed is way much faster than old 56K. One local guy from Alltel told me that they are going to add hardware to relieve that problem.

(review was emailed from domain alltel.net)

Comments:

Review by ArchAngel614 See Profile

• Location: Elyria,Lorain,OH
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Easy installation...When it's fast, it's fast! ->->->->->->->->->->->->->"
Bad "Very inconsistent speeds.....at first"
Overall "Smokin' ! Only a T1 would be faster!!!!!!!!"
(ratings well above consensus)

Ordered Alltel Tier1 ADSL in late August. We received the Cisco 677 router in 3 days. Installation was a snap.We were only 800ft. from the CO. We were up and running in 10 days. At first the speeds were fast, 1.2mb dl/ 240 up. After about 3 weeks it started to drop. All the while we were preparing to move into our new home. We had everything arranged ahead of time.The new home was 3500ft from the same CO. Again, the speeds were great at first, then dropped off.

After searching DSLREPORTS and other broadband sites, I tweaked and watched what was going on in the forums.I had Alltel take the interleaving off and the speeds increased again. Tech support has been helpful and have called me once a week. (NO SH#&)They say they are upgrading the system. That the demand was greater than was projected. Broadband Bottleneck! Installing DS3! Hopefully all this helps.

Well It's been about two months since I posted this review and I have to say Alltel dsl has been much better. As tech support informed me they have been upgrading their lines and my speeds have reflected the improvement. Everyday for the last week I have had 1.2mb dl/240k ul at peak hours !
These results are for Feb.& Mar. 2001, I'd say things are looking up !
(NYC) dom
ArchAngel614XTC 23rd 44035 alltel.net 1241/240 1536/256 07 alltel.net
ArchAngel614XTC 4th 44035 alltel.net 1241/244 1536/256 10 alltel.net
ArchAngel614XTC 2nd 44035 alltel.net 1240/232 1536/256 08 alltel.net

Well it's been a little over a year since we ordered ADSL and I would have to say that I'm rather satisfied with the whole experience.

Here is the latest tweak test
»monitor.dslreports.com/tweak/blo···a=normal
Again the speeds are consistantly in the 1200/240 range ; )

member for 14.3 years, 337 visits, last login: 5.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by wfox9 See Profile

• Location: Louisville,Jefferson,KY
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "Received router kit on the day my service started (14 days from order)"
Bad "Have never been able to achieve the 768/128 I contracted for"
Overall "Dependable, but slow line speeds :-("

THIS REVIEW IS FOR ALLTEL

I contracted for 768/128 but the most I've been able to achieve is 524/108. Normally I get 324/96. My speeds have been as slow as 58/46. Download speed drops dramatically when uploading.

I signed a 2 year contract, but I guess I can't really complain much, because Alltel was the only ISP I could get Adsl service for in this area. I didn't need their tech support during setup, other than to complain about my speed. They blew me off with "There is normally an 80% drop due to line loss and network congestion."

I live in a close proximity of the phone companies switching station and had a really good connection on my old 56k modem account, so I think I can rule out the line loss deal. I've tweaked my Rwin and get good test results, just lousy speeds.

I have not been knocked offline since I did the install (3 days now and running) so I guess their service could be rated as dependable, but their speeds suck.

Update: I get close to 600/120 during weekdays, speed drops dramatically in the afternoons and nights to the 50-60/40-50 range. Seems like they just haven't allocated enough bandwidth for the customers that they have.

Update: After being online for 2 weeks, it seems like someone at Alltel finally got the message and added a little bandwidth. I seem to be getting 550-625/104-110 pretty consistantly now. Thanks, whoever was responsible for it.

Update 10/30/2001 I guess somebody read my last update.... The speed is beginning to suck again and I have to re-sync 2 or 3 times a day. It's a good thing you guys at Alltel don't do this for a living, you'd starve to death

If Bell-South was available in my area, or should we say, when Bell-South is available in my area, you will lose at least one customer.

member for 13.3 years, 108 visits, last login: 4.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by dave_in_ktown See Profile

• Location: Kittanning,Armstrong,PA
Good "Fast, always on"
Bad "Every few months for a a few days, ping time soars up to about 400-500"
Overall "Not bad for a small area's DSL ISP"

I bought into Alltel DSL in Kittanning when it first came our way in August of 2000. Great pings to gaming servers, fast download times (about 80 kb/s), and very reliable with up times (close to all the time). Only problem I find is that every few months, my DSL will just slow down to the point where I'm pinging servers at about 400. I'm under the impression that the lines are filled to capactiy, but I don't know. It's becoming very annoying and I'm considering dropping it in favor of Adelphia Powerlink. Ultimately, I probably wont, because Alltel has been great in the past.

member for 13.1 years, 30 visits, last login: 12.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by octothorpe See Profile

• Location: Murrysville,Westmoreland,PA
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "pretty close to none"
Bad "Moronic support staff, scary hick-redneck repair people, no follow up to problems"
Overall "Aaargh!"

>>I've left my earlier comments in but if you want the current story read my newer comments at the bottom.

I've had a pretty positive experience with alltel's ADSL. I called to order it and after talking with a moderately intelegent sales person, I agreed to a year-long contract and they would sell me a CISCO 667 router for $100, a good deal, and ADSL for $49.00 a month. A couple of weeks later they shipped me a kit with the router, some phoneline filters, a couple of 100BaseT cables, and serial admin cable and a disk with a little setup application for the router. All I had to do was plug things together, run the little app in windows, and they call them to tell them to turn me on, which they did while I waited on line and it worked.

I like that there is not PPPoE drivers to install, I just use regular TCP/IP networking, and it works with Windows and Linux, and I'm sure it work with anything else with a TCP/IP stack as your local host does not even know about the DSL, it just knows that the router acts as the DHCP server. I'm a software developer and I know how to set things up so maybe other people would have a harder time with Alltel ADSL but I've been really happy with it.

***Follow up 3/30/01- I am in the process of buying a condo and wanted to find out if I could move my DSL service to my new place so I called Alltel thinking that they would know if it was available in the new area. Well either I'm dumb or they are but the answer I got was, "we think so." I allowed that I was hoping for a liitle more definitive answer so they said that they would talk to the "technical people" and call me back with a better answer. Well they called me back and said, "we're pretty sure." So I have no idea whether or not I will have DSL next month. wish me luck.

***More Follow up 6/21/2001 - Moved into my new place last month and have had no end of problems with the DSL connection: Slow speeds, high pings, down for days at time. I am very unhappy and ready to call Adelphia and see about Cable modems. The repair people are idiots, the support people do nothing, no one ever calls me back, it's truely the worst customer experience I've ever been through. They keep saying that they are going to try to fix my line but nothing ever gets better.

***Follow up 9/28/01 - Well after months of dropped connections, useless fixes, hours on hold, talks with friendly but clueless support people, my service started worked flawlessly! I haven't had as much as minute downtime in a month. Why did it just start working after months of problems? I don't know, and I'm sure that Alltel doesn't either. Oh, well I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope this is perminent.

Comments:

Review by lytic See Profile

• Location: Plattsmouth,Cass,NE
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "DSL rocks! Cisco Routers Rock!"
Bad "Calling support sometimes take longer than it should"
Overall "I don't know why people are complaining, No cable and the DSL here is fast"
(ratings well above consensus)

I was the first to get DSL in Plattsmouth. So they seem surpirsed when I asked them the day it became available in the area.

They showed me the different packages they had. Different speeds, and router packages. Basically, for 2 years you get the router free. 1 year, you get the router for $99, or no contract and you pay $199 for the router (the cost). I chose the 1 year because I'm in the military and I didn't want to be stuck in a contract, however, I'm still here. That's a good deal all around. No forced contracts!!!

They gave me a box with the Cisco router (sweet). The sales lady wrote a date which was 28 days (4 weeks) and they said my line would be ready by that day and to have everything set up and to call the number that is on the sticker which in on the router.

I loved the fact that they didn't charge me to have some guy come over and put a few cat5 plugs in the router and for him to tell me that I have a NIC. I think they should have the option for service because some people don't understand networking and they barely understand modems. Hey I'll install anyone router for them for $20.

I set it up and call the people, they said welcome to the world of DSL, I said thank you.

I had a problem once, it was due to a code red varient. I called and said I'm getting about a minute of service before I have to reboot, they said give me a sec, then it was fixed.

Then yesterday I called them wanting to know the password to my router. They wanted to know why and explained that if I goofed it up it would cost $45 to reconfigure it. I said I work with computers, I'm not stupid, and I understand the reconfiguration costs. They then told me my password to the exec and enable logins. I said thanks.

My only beef is that it has taken sometimes almost a half hour to get in touch with someone at the number, sometimes it takes 30 seconds, but most of the time now if I call, if they don't pick up after 2 minutes I hang up and try again in about a half hour.

One last thought, I'm in the Tier 1 or whatever they call it 384 down and 276 up (I think)

my tests were

320/227 East Coast

328/208 West Coast

and I'm in Nebraska (the middle) the speed looks good enough for me.

Comments:

Review by bpinch See Profile

• Location: King,Stokes,NC
Good "Finally In King.... seems to meet specs"
Bad "none yet"
Overall "So far so good"

Granted I have only had it for a day, However I recieved a call from the Charlotte Raleigh offices on Installation day stateing that they did not have any of the routers in stock, and they were going to reschedule me for 7 working days later. Luckly the local installation guy had one in his truck and came on out about 2 pm. Tested my line and about 10min later I had it up and running. I have noticed an occational drag here and there... seems to hang a bit now and then. Unforunately I have not had enough time to track it down, and will give another report in a few weeks. Only other problem is... I had recently ( 1month ago) lost my antiquated cable modem ( Netunlimited canceled everyones service). In desperation I called there Alltel's ADSL availibility line and was told that it was not availble and no one knew when it would be, so I asked about ISDN service (which is availble) and they stated that a rep would have to return my call. Luckly that Rep is also the DSL Rep! DSL has now been availble for almost 4 weeks in King and is the only broadband option here. You will also have to wait about 10 days for the install. They use Efficient Networks 5660, DSL modem/Residental Gateway.

Comments:

Review by sync9 See Profile

• Location: Sugar Land,Fort Bend,TX
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
  • Telco party AllTel
  • CLEC party: AllTel
Good "None"
Bad "Inaccurate information, uninformed."
Overall "Avoid Alltel."

********************

*** Update*** Today 9/13/2001 I received (get ready for this) a 900Mhz telephone! Even better this is the exact day that I was supposed to receive my DSL modem from Alltel. Even better, I was assured several times that all shipments have been canceled from Alltel and I should not receive my DSL modem since I canceled before the contract even began. Hmm I honestly do not recall ordering a phone since I already own three in my house and they are all perfectly suited for my use.

So hypothetically if I did keep my order I would have in fact received: One 900Mhz telephone instead of the DSL modem that was ordered for me... Now I have the headache of clearing up another Alltel mess...

********************

First of all it took over 3 weeks for Alltel to verify a loopback test. Each time I was

told to call back in a week and they would know more at that time. The third time I called (3rd week) they said I did qualify and that I should get a call saying when the service was availble. On fourth call I was connected directly to a DSL service rep who said that all I needed to do was place an order. After finding this out I realized that I probably would have saved 1.5 weeks if I was connected to the DSL sales department in the first place.

While I spoke with the DSL service rep, I learned about Alltel's DSL service and was going over the different plans available for bandwidth speed and access types. A previous review posted here correctly listed all the options and rates so I will not need to cover them here. After placing the order for a tier access I liked, I was told I would have to wait another 10 days before DSL would be available and Alltel will ship the modem to me. This is now totaling over 4 weeks of waiting.

What I do wish to have clearly covered on how I was told there were no penaltites for canceling the contract. On _three_ seperate occasions I clearly asked that there were no penaltities for the contract the service rep spoke about. I even further illistrated the point by drawing out that if I go with a 2 year contract they would wave the DSL modem cost and that again there would be no penality fees. I was again assured that there will be no penality fees.

I felt fairly satisfied that I had covered all the bases but I still had a nagging feeling about how the service rep kept stressing "contract". I have been with other dial up and broad band service providers before and usually when the word "contract" appears then there will be penaltites.

After thinking further about on the following day (Sunday) I decided to call and speak with another service rep to make sure that I was not off base about the services offered by Alltel. I decided to call the number listed on the website under Alltel's DSL section and this is what happened:

I called the 1888 9alltel number that was listed as the number to call for DSL access and I was told that highspeed Internet access was no longer available. After further checking and explaining to the service rep how suddenly broadband acess was suddenly not available, the Service Rep was able to redirect me with 800 899 0449 number that was supposed to be a direct dial. I then was connected to another Service Rep and he then explained to me that this is NOT the number for DSL access. Also the same Service Rep could not even verify the number I called to reach him to see if I was misdirected to the wrong number. He then offered another number 1 800 888 8523. After dialing this number I received a fast busy tone.

To say the least I was shocked at the lack of organization that Alltel has displayed. Based upon the experience I received, I must decline from subscribing to Alltel Internet service or even recommending it to another customer on this single day experince alone.

The following day (Monday) I called the number that was given during my order and promptly canceled my order placed with Alltel. Even further, I received the "contract" in the mail from Alltel and in a full bold paragraph at the bottom on the first page, it clearly stated the penlaity fees associated with a one or two year contract. In short the two year contract that I opted for, if I canceled with only a few months use, I would be fined $200 plus be required to ship back the DSL modem or incur another $99 fee. Even if I had less than one year I would still owe a $100 penality fee and $99 for the DSL modem, again unless I shipped the modem back to them.

To say the least I felt very angry that such information with _not_ given to me during my orginal order. Even further I felt this was borderline deceptive. I have been in the computer industry for over 15 years and have used many ISP's over the years. If it was not for my nagging feeling about why Alltel kept using the term contract vs subscription - I would be a very angry new Alltel customer at this moment.

Before subscribing to any ISP check around as much as possible and see what other customers think about the service. I did and even then I was almost boxed into Alltels "contract".

Comments:

Review by lfd2311 See Profile

• Location: Lewisville,Forsyth,NC
Good "NONE"
Bad "Alltel is the only DSL/ISP combo I can use here-no choice DOWN ALOT!!!!!"
Overall "STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go with Road runner"

When I decided to get high speed I had 2 choices Alltell DSL and Road Runner Cable. In order to connect mutiple comupters with cable I would need an IP address for each machine, and each IP cost $10 a mo. Cable is faster around here but at some point in time I think the shared bandwidth will bite them. I chose DSL because I can hook multiple computers through a hub and have 1 IP adress. I called Alltel to set up the order and the sales guy was very nice but was not a wealth of info (an order taker). He told me the service would be instaled on a friday and the router would be delivered before this. On Thursday (the day before I was told the service would start) I called tech support to find out where the router was. I was told that I was not sceduled to be hooked up utill Monday (3 days later than I was promised) when I protested I was informed they were to busy to get it hooked up untill monday and I would recive the router then. When that monday arrived I hooked up the router and was online in no time ( the router came ready to go with all the info in). One thing I really hate is I HAVE TO USE Alltel as my ISP. But DSL beats the daylights out of dial up and the service has been very good since it got hooked up. I have called Tec suppert a couple of times and they are great!

UPDATE 8-29-01

ALLTEL IS DOWN FOR THE 4TH TIME IN 9 DAYS. I CALLED TEC SUPPORT AND THEY SAID NC & SC WERE DOWN SO I CANCELED THE SERVICE TODAY. I ALSO CALED ROAD RUNNER AND SIGNED UP. I WILL REVIEW THEM WHEN THE TIME COMES.

IF YOU WANT HIGH SPEED INTERNET THAT WORKS STAY AWAY FROM ALLTELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments:

Review by lordxero See Profile

• Location: Live Oak,Suwannee,FL
Good "Nice speed"
Bad "packet loss"
Overall "they're alright"

before ive had some major problems, but now they are smoothed out, I suppose
just get major packet loss
I hope this gets fixed!