Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by Seph83 See Profile

• Location: Blairsville,Union,GA
Good "Decent ISP from 2003 to 2010, until they oversold their lines. Techs on DSLReports are good. Good connection from 2AM to 2PM..."
Bad "4PM to 1AM - lucky to get 1/10 of speed. Phone support hit or miss. WS didn't anticipate video streaming becoming so popular."
Overall "Oversold network that turns to garbage during the time most people actually need their connection..."

·Blue Ridge Mount..
05/22/2013 Update:

About a year or so after my last update, during the peak times of 5pm to midnight, my connection would drop to about 1/3 to 1/2 of the 12MB I paid for. I tolerated this for a long time, being told for months that it would be fixed, which finally after about a year or so of the slow downs, it was fixed. Then in April 2013 something happened to one of the major DSLAMs in North Georgia, and I got well over 100 disconnects in a two week period, but still had full speed, and when I called to report this issue, a tech did something that did fix the connection dropping issues(he claimed to route me to a different DSLAM, but the techs on here say that I've been on the same one for about 5 years), but it brought back the speed drops during peak times. Now the peak times have increased from about 3 or 4PM to 1AM, and this time around my speeds won't even break 2MB out of the 12MB I still pay for. From about 7pm to 11pm I'm lucky to see 1MB... This is completely and utterly unacceptable. Where I live, there are only two ISPs, Windstream and the Blue Ridge Mountain Electric Membership Corporation. I called the BRMEMC about 5 years ago when they first offered Fiber to the Home in my area, and they wanted about $1300 to do the install to my house, because I was the first customer in the area to request it, and they would have to run fiber over 1500 feet to get to me. Plus, at the time, their speeds were low and their pricing was high. Fast forward to 2013 and the BRMEMC have dropped their prices, raised their speeds, expanded their network and backbone, and best of all, will install the 700+ foot run fiber to my house for free, with a two year commitment. So I can get 12mb symmetrical fiber for about $10 less a month than I pay Windstream.

Now I have no reason at all to continue to do business with Windstream, a company who used to care about the customers in the sticks when no one else did, who has now become just another Verizon or AT&T. So I'm gonna speak the best way a person can, with their wallet.

01/25/2010 Update:

It's been almost 8 months since my upgrade to 12mb/768k, so I'm giving my long term review. Rock solid stability, good latency, consistent speeds. I love it. I've streamed hours upon hours of HD video, played online with my PS3 and PC, downloaded huge files(Windows 7 Beta, and a 7GB 1080p movie) without a hiccup or any kind of problem.

Original Review:

First ordered Windstream's 1.5mb/256k service back in April of 2003, then upgraded to their 3mb/384k package sometime during 2006, after it finally got approved for my area. Had some latency issues during 2007, which were resolved by Windstream adding Fiber Optic lines to my Remote Terminal. This also qualified me for their 6mb/384k ADSL2, which I have been using for over a year, with excellent latency, perfect up-time, and just a flawless connection.

I ordered Windstream's 12mb/768k package on May 27, 2009 and it was active about 16 hours before the due time given by the phone rep. So far, so great. I'll add to this review in about a month, for a longer term review.

Here's a speed test result with the new package:

Speed Test #72376332 by dslreports.com
User: 998727 @ dslreports.com
User's DNS: windstream.net
Compared to the average of 80 tests from windstream.net:
* download is 378% better, upload is 88% better

Comments:

Review by wstreamsucks See Profile

• Location: Argillite,Greenup,KY
Good "I honestly can't say a single good thing about this company."
Bad "I'm not sure what's worse, the connection or the support."
Overall "Only go with Windstream as a last resort, whatever you do!"

Update a little over a year later: the original issue was fixed, but is (not surprisingly) back again with an estimated repair date of December 31st, 2013 (today is 5/14/2013/).

The facts are simply that Windstream advertises services that it is incapable of providing and does a joke of a job maintaining its network. This is 2013 and speeds of up to 1 Gbps are available in some areas (not from Windstream of course), but over the years Windstream has failed to provide me with a stable connection at their embarrassing speed of 3 Mbps.

If there are other ISPs available in your area you would be making a monumental mistake by choosing Windstream.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------

I have the misfortune of living in an area where Windstream is the only ISP. The connection has always been bad with inconsistent speed and drops, but in the past they have at least made an effort to resolve the problem. Recently I have been experiencing extreme packet loss (30%+) and after calling the support and chatting with their online support, I'm beginning to wonder if some of them even know what a packet is.

Over the span of the last five days I have been blatantly lied to three separate times, twice about having a tech sent out to look at the problem and one support rep told me that my packet loss was because Windstream's network doesn't support traceroutes (which is simply NOT true).

Don't get me wrong, I have had a couple of good experiences with their support, but ultimately nothing gets fixed, and if it does it is only temporary. They are oversubscribed and improving the quality of their lines seems to be their lowest priority.

I honestly hope this review saves someone from the troubles and misfortune of Windstream, trust me when I say it is not worth all of the hassle!

Comments:

Review by UGHWINDSTREM See Profile

• Location: Aurora,Portage,OH
Good "Very good 24/2 Reliable internet speed"
Bad "Everything I want this company to Rot away.--------( Not anymore this internet is actually good!"
Overall "its not bad if you get the 24'2 at least..."

High pings low download/ upload... I only get a hour of good service. Very unstable connection... Worst dsl ever...

Update! 4/27/12 I got the 24/2 Service and it rocks! Oh my gosh i don't lag anymore! Ill update the monthly cost when we get the bill. We were told its 5 bucks more! So i hope it is!

Comments:
UGHWINDSTREM

join:2012-12-21
Aurora, OH

Bad internet

Anyone else that lives in Reminderville Ohio.. Quit this company!
UGHWINDSTREM

join:2012-12-21
Aurora, OH

Re: Bad internet

The only thing ok about the company is the fact that there online support is decent... But phone sucks

Rabbitt

@windstream.net

Portage County Latency

Our Windstream ISP has totally sucked for about a month. The personal contact we have came out and switched us to a line that wasn't so dirty, but it only lasted a couple of weeks (Only person who does his job there, but he is helpless otherwise. Windstream claims that they are suffering a "Latency" and it could take weeks for it to be fixed in northern Portage county. At times I have no e-mail. At times IE is corrupted and won't run. Most of the time Chrome works, but the system goes down a minimum of once a day. Lot of modem unplugging, especially at night. We are getting robbed since Netflix obviously cuts out, and it is rare to get through an entire show. The worst is when the computer will not boot up at all. Can't even open Excel. I almost took the computer in for service then found out that Windstream is at fault. Shame on them. No notification of this problem has ever been sent, but they always send the billing!

treetop1000

join:2003-11-07

Re: Portage County Latency

Brilliant!
You have a crappy computer riddled with unknown problems. You point out that it's all Windstreams fault because someone told you about "latency".
Latency is a measurement of the time that it takes to process a packet of information, send it to the intended and recieve a reply from that recipient. That's all. However, rather than take the computer to a repair shop to have checked, you made an assumption.

Internet access is a complex set of instructions to the processor inside that tells it to use this certain language, connect on this port, talk on this channel, receive on this channel, and so forth. The commands are plentiful and invisible to the user. Used to be otherwise; remember when the modem squeal was the first thing you heard after clicking on the AOL icon?
If your computer fails to boot, I can pretty much guarantee that it's not because of Windstream. In fact, 99% of the time, the real cause is the user himself, by going to places on the internet he should not go to (or) by answering emails (for example) offering him some huge amount of money for providing his bank account routing numbers so they can transfer 20 million dollars callously left laying around by a dead prince from Nigeria.

Here's a simple test. ask a friend to bring over his computer and hook it up to your connection.
Try to duplicate the problem.
If you cannot make his computer malfunction,
I'd have to say it's that crappy box that you own.

Review by AlbertKelley See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "Professional, neat installation of equipment"
Bad "Internet speed is 1/10 of advertised, crackle sounds on phone"
Overall "Lexington, KY Needs Competition. Too Bad Windstream can't deliver"

We tried Windstream in 2010. It was a disaster and we went with Insight. In 2013 Windstream starts promoting new "fiberoptic" service. We signed up. It has been a disaster again. Service is horrible. Technical support told me the service we signed up for, 24 Mbs down, 4 Mbs up MAY be available is a year or so. It is incredible that Windstream would promote a service, sign up customers and then not be able to provide the service. We are now going through the hassle of switching back to Insight which is now owned by Time Warner Cable. At least we had good service and good customer service with Insight. Windstream needs to sell out to a quality, national company and stop putting their customers through such misery. Lexington, KY deserves at least two quality, dependable competitors in the market to choose from. Windstream is clearly not a worthy competitor at any price.

Comments:

mark40511

join:2004-10-12

Lexington

Wow - sorry to hear about your issues and I know a lot of people have them. I was under the impression they are not a horrible company at least in Lexington due to the competition. I know before I upgraded to 24 from 12, I had hardly a single issue with 12. 98% of the time I was getting 12 during prime time.....My only issue is since upgrading, I'm sometimes getting 24, but not always. I don't know what the REP told you but we do indeed have 24/2 bonded and 24/4 VDSL in Lexington. I think it's very new and they just need to get the bugs worked out. But I agree with you that I'm thinking of going back to 12 which was fine or TWC.

If your phone line is cracking, have them check because with a cracking phone line, that's line noise and DSL won't work properly...My phone line is clear of noise and always has been, until the first tech cut the wire by mistake and it was making an intermittent connection, which was fixed with the next tech. If you r still with Windstream, call the PHONE repair, not internet repair. I'm actually getting 24/2 but it fluctuates. On Speedtest.net, use the Dallas and Chicago servers to test

Review by Roy Parker See Profile

Good "Nothing"
Bad "Windstream"
Overall "SOS... Same Old SHITE!!!!"

Anyone who reads this, all the complaints listed here are not bogus. It is absolute truth.
Windstream TOTALLY SUX!!! What a complete, pathetic, poor excuse for a company.

At night, your upload speeds will be faster than your download speeds.

HONESTLY, I UNPLUG MY DSL LINE AT NIGHT AND PLUG IN REGULAR PHONE LINE AND USE TRUSTY OLD DIAL UP CONNECTION JUST TO CHECK EMAIL.

member for 1 year, 6 visits, last login: 350 days ago

Comments:

Piggie
I Actually use Windstream
join:2005-11-23
Orange Springs, FL
·HughesNet Satell..

The Truth

This person speaks the truth. While I was finally fixed, it took nearly 4 years of ever decreasing speeds until just this Feb (2013) when they fixed it. Before it was fixed my speeds dropped to .43 M at night, which is exactly a modem.
Despite having finally been fixed (for now as been here before), they let their system go totally to crap (.43M) before repairing it. And yes, many nights my upload exceeded my download.
Don't tell me it's because of being rural. 8 miles down the road in a town the same size (thousand people), Comcast offeres 50 down, 5 up, and it works that way at night! They have better uploads than I have down 'when' mine is working right.
| Speedstream 4200 Modem - 3m/384 plan | W98-W2KSP4-XPSP2 - All AMD | Buffalo WHR G54S with Tomato 1.18 | 3 downstream switches feeding 6 total clients (no wireless) | Including the Data port on the side of my neck |

nikiinpa

join:2013-03-31
Rockton, PA

Windstream DSL

Every time I call it's always they are having trouble in the area, I ask what area? then I'm told it really does not need to be around my area.

Their next excuse is they are updating the equipment and in a while my service will be faster.

Then we go thru they are testing my modem.

I asked twice so far about a wireless modem along with the Ethernet modem.

One says I need to pay for the wireless and cannot use it with the Ethernet.

Other one says I don't need to pay for the wireless modem but can only use one of them at a time.

My bill is now $93, service bundle $60. non pub # $4., service plan $10, I only went with their service plan because they told me I would need to pay $75 for a new modem.

I remember when they sent out a new modem for free

I'm ready to go to Comcast

I ended up here searching on routers with different Ethernet connections, Roku and trying to get away from paying for TV, anymore all of this sickens me.
AlbertKelley

join:2013-04-26

Sadly, Windstream is horrible in Lexington, KY

Just switched today to the "new, fiberoptic" Windstream service from Insight. It is horrible. it is a fraction of the speed of Insight and customer service is only open Mon-Fri, 9-5. Technical support confirmed what I already know and can not do anything. Lexington, KY desperately needs quality Internet providers such as Comcast or Verizon Fios. Windstream has a long-standing, well deserved reputation as a horrible service provider. What a share. I would like a choice instead of Insight.

Review by iqsr See Profile

• Location: Abernathy,Hale,TX
Good "Still nothing good to report after 3 years."
Bad "Old equipment and lines. Can have high latency and low speeds during peak hours - area is oversubscribed"
Overall "Highly recomend that you"

UPDATED 04/24-2013

I have not updated this review for a while. The reason for that is nothing has changed. The problems I am experiencing dates back as far as 07-24-2010 11:49:16 (this is when I finally got tired and first reported the issue). It is rapidly coming up on the three year mark and things have not improved (any way you approach this, it is unacceptable). I have come to know the windstream antics very well now. I can tell you verbatim what will happen to the nth degree once I pick up the phone or seek help in the windstream direct forum. It has been an endless stream of promised patches and fixes that never really materialize. The only thing they have going for them in my small town is that they are the only ISP provider and that the majority of the people either do not know what is going on or are excepting this as being normal for DSL service (which it is not). As a result of this I had to purchase an ipad ($800.00) which came with an additional $30.00 charge for its data service, so that I can pay my bills, access my emails and carry on my other daily business when the DSL is acting up (which is a majority of the time, 3pm to 4am slow service so regular you can set your watch by it). I guess technically with all the incurred expenses I am paying around $157.00 a month for $60.00 DSL for the next year with incurred expenses. Caught between a rock and a hard place with this one. If I could give a lower satisfaction rating I would. I suggest if you are considering windstream for DSL service, you proceed with caution. Your mileage with this company "might" vary, but remember YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!!!

UPDATE 01/19/11

No improvement to date every time I bring it to there attention they will miraculously find another small problem with their network ( Utilization issue ) and ask me to be patient. The clock is ticking for windstream. There will be competition soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look elsewhere for broadband service.

UPDATE 01/21/12

Service is still erratic same problems as before now with the return of the high pings. I have been in contact with windstream on a regular basis for a short time now and they state that they are installing more equipment and working on the issue. This work seems to be moving really slow. I will report back if any change in this status.

UPDATE 12/03/11

Service unusable in afternoon and most of night. Same problems with no answers. Very disappointed with service. I would not recommend them.

UPDATE 8/15/11

Still no progress. Connection is as erratic as ever.

UPDATE 5/15/11

Windstream tech support broadband tier II working very hard to take care of this issue. keeping me in the loop as to what is going on. Service tech doing a good job also. raised rating for tech support. will update other categories after I live with the fix for a while.

Update 04/29/2011

No news on this issue. Service still terrible.

Update 04/27/2011

This issue has been going on for roughly 9 months. I first turned this issue in 07/24/2010. Waiting for call backs from a couple of places and will update.

Update 04-25-2011

Windstream finally admitted that there was an issue on there side and advised me that it would be months before a fix can be implemented. This is fine and dandy, but wait a minuet, I am still paying full price for a service they are not giving me. I never been robbed but this sure feels like it. Paying full price for something I am not getting!!!! Calling corporate in the am to request a refund for half of my internet price retroactive from December 2010 when this problem became unworkable. If I don't get it, I am going to make a couple of calls and will report back. If you are in the market for High Speed Internet in Abernathy TX consider the few but other options. If you just have to get it get the 1.5 meg service and you will be getting what you pay for then. You Have Been Warned.

update 04-16-2011:

I Updated to 12Mbps service quite a while back. Here is where the trouble began. I am 6 blocks from the CO, so I figured it would be more than worth it for the upgrade in speed. Boy was I mistaken. I have had more service tech out to my residence than you can shake a stick at. Tech support has been anywhere from maybe somewhat helpful to flat out rude to when I would contact them. I have had nothing but problem either the modem not syncing up or horrendously slow speeds. It is always a modem issue when you call tech support. I have been through about 5 of them to date. My last call to tech report was unreal. The tech was so rude to me that I asked to speak to his supervisor. I was pretty much told no. I insisted and he put me on indefinite hold. I hung up and called the corporate office. They were apologetic and stated that they would get this issue taken care of. (Yeah Right) . I received a call back from the support techs supervisor. She was apologetic also. I informed her that I had already called corporate and that they were looking into it. I did file a alleged "complaint" on the support tech that was rude to me. About a week went by and nothing had changed I called corporate again and asked them about my issue. They stated that they would look into it some more. A few days later I received a voice message from a higher tier tech that stated that there were some latency issues in my area and they were working on them. One more weeks goes by and I receive a call from the same tech stating that the issue has been resolved. I guess not for me. My speeds were at an all time low. I called him up ( yes I can call straight through to him now). For once they could actually see that there was a problem. A service tech was dispatched he poked a prodded. He finally proclaimed that the problem was a bad pair. He fixed it and was on his way. I received a call back from the higher tier tech stating that they had me fixed. My speeds at this time were the best that they have been since initial upgrade to 12Mbps. I reminded him that the problem I was experiencing manifested it self usually between 3pm and 6pm and would last into the wee hours of the AM. He agreed to leave the ticket open and call me back the following Monday. Here is where we are at present. Sure enough 3:30pm rolls around and my speeds are back down between 1Mbps and 2Mbps. The problem is still there. the problem starts around 3:30pm and persists to about 3 or 4am in the morning and then it is fine. It dose not take a rocket scientist to see what is going on here. My problem start about the time school is let out and people are getting home from work and last until about the time people are going to bed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hopping the engineer I have been talking to will not give up and see this through. Will update when he calls back on Monday.

First Review:

Windstream has just taken over my old service provider Valor Telecom. So I am still trying to fill windstream out. I have had one period of outage since the take over ( which was on their side). I called in to tech support and found out about their equipment problem which affected Tx and Ok; they gave me an expected repair time .It was actually back up before the estimated repair time. They were very polite and helpful. The install was done by my old provider Valor telecom. My Ip address is dynamic. My speed is Download Max. Speed of 1.5 Mbps, Upload Max Speed of 384 Kbps. I received a Speed Stream 4200 modem with filters self install kit. I pay 34.95 for the service but get a $5.00 break so it ends up costing me 29.95. They only offer the one 1.5Mbps service here where I live; they do not offer anything faster. I am sort of hung over a barrel as far as broadband, I can use the problematic WISP or Windstream and be limited to my choice of speed packages. I am far from satisfied on this one. I will update this after living with the new company for a while.

Oh Yeah did not get my callback on Monday!!!

Comments:

dragonzap

@windstream.net

Windstream

Hi there,
I hope this is going to the right place. Anyway I have had issues with windstream for the last month or two. Normal they have great service in my area. The guys work really hard. But, they said they are having hardware issues in Purcell Oklahoma and are waiting for a part from att. I know this from the local service guys. When I try to call windstream and ask when this is going to be fixed the can not help. One guy at the internet help desk would not listen to what I was wanting to say. All I want to know is when I will have somekind reliable service working. I am paying for 6mb/sec connetion but am only getting 266kb/sec. Help me out.

Review by ccc8 See Profile

• Location: Mooresville,Iredell,NC
Bad "vpn connection is terrible"

speed is never as advertised. normal internet is slow. i work from home and vpn disconnects every 10 minutes at the most. that is unacceptable. i have read that the issue is the sagecom router, but i am looking for help on it.

Comments:

Review by REHAKES See Profile

• Location: Worthington Springs,Union,FL
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Smooth installation. Everything worked on first try."
Bad "Not as fast as some cable or FiOS, but only option except satellite.."
Overall "Barely acceptable. Only game in town, except satellite."

If cable broadband was available, I'd probably be using it rather than Alltel's ADSL offering, because I'd prefer cable's usually higher throughput speeds. However, after having to make-do with dial-up prior to Alltel's upgrade of the wire center serving my community, I jumped to order as soon as they announced availability. Their first-year special price discount of $15.00 off the regular monthly fee was an added plus, and I must admit that they could have had my business without the incentive.

The wait from date of order to due date was reasonable, and the service was live by 9:00 AM on the due date. Average throughput: 1150 kbps down / 128 kbps up. No speed-demon, but acceptable! The Speedstream ADSL modem and DSL filters arrived three days in advance of due date, and I was pleased to find that the modem contained a built-in user-configurable hardware firewall that acts as router, local DHCP and DNS server for sharing the connection, and the firmware also stores my User ID and password for automatic PPPoE logon. --All that, and free, with a 1-yr contract, although they did charge me for UPS shipping. The service uses Dynamic IP addressing, but since my ADSL modem stays on most of the time, the address hasn't yet changed.

Since I'm a computer professional, the supplied User Guide was a bit elementary, but contained all the information I needed, with the exception of one rather technical question relating to sharing the connection on my home-office network. I called their DSL support line, and the automated attendant was easily navigated without annoyances and the technician who answered within a reasonable wait was both pleasant and knowledgeable, had a ready answer for my question, and didn't automatically assume that I was a novice. A great experience!

I've only had one instance of difficulty with my DSL service since installation, and that was the morning after hurricane Jeanne passed by on its way north, just 35 miles from my house. Since the phone cabling is underground in my community, even though my electric power was out for five days, my phone service still worked, however there were periods off and on that first day, when the ADSL would work perfectly, but I couldn't make or receive voice calls on that line. In fact, the phone would ring occasionally, but on picking up the receiver, the line would be dead. But, the ADSL would still be working. Go figure! Of course, my portable generator kept my computer running -- except when I'd forget to refill the gas tank!. I reported the problem, and though the technician that took my call sounded a bit disbelieving, he took the info, and promised that it would be fixed by the next afternoon. It was. All in all, I'm a happy customer.

Added 11/23/04 -- I've since learned that the phenomenon with ADSL working and voice not working on a phone line is not uncommon. Not quite sure why, but it has something to do with their equipment at the wire or switch center. Just received an e-mail from Alltel in which they announced that they've upgraded my ADSL service to give upload speeds of 384kbps -- and at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE!! That works out to 1536/384 claimed speed. I just had to check that out, and the speed test shows an average this evening of 1150/238. Not as good as claimed, but everybody knows the claimed speeds are always "best possible under ideal conditions" -- and ideal conditions rarely exist. Still a happy customer!!

Added 05/30/05 -- Speeds now averaging a bit better than on my earlier post, and now 1270/280. Still not as fast as the RoadRunner service I got spoiled with at my last residence, but that's not available out here in the "boonies," so I'm happy. Alltel is to be commended for making DSL available in my tiny (population - under 200) community! The few glitches I've experienced have been quickly fixed by their capable techs.

Added 12/28/05 -- Early this past summer (August, I think) I opted to accept Alltel's offer of higher speed service, which they advertised as 3MB down and 384K up. After that was activated, I saw my average d/l speed jump up to about 2.4MB and average u/l speed jump to about 300KB. Not too bad for DSL!! And I was a happy camper until late October or early November. At that point, I noticed my download speeds start being all over the map. Durung a single day, they might go from 2.4MB down to 16KB down, and then to 1.0MB down, and then to 600KB down, to connection failure.. Calls to their support center resulted in various explanations, from temporary outage in your area, or having equipment problems in your area, or doing an equipment upgrade in your area - please be patient. The problem has gone on; off and on, for almost two months. I'M NOT a happy camper, anymore!

Added 04/22/06 -- After a lengthy period of "iffy" wide d/l speed fluctuation, ranging from barely sufficient to be considered "broadband" to absolutely unacceptable, Alltel has finally been able to get the speeds stabilized and back to an acceptable range. I'm told that the increasing number of DSL customers and popularity of higher demand internet applications in my area was swamping the capability of the dsl concentrator's connection to the backbone. They finally got that upgraded, and speeds are now back to and sometimes exceeding the speeds I had been enjoying when I first upgraded to "DSL Ultra." Hopefully, they'll get my rural concentrator upgraded again soon, so I'll be able to get their new faster service, "DSL Extreme" (6MB-down).

Added 7/31/06

Speeds have remained pretty stable, in the neighborhood of 2.3MB. At latest check, the new faster 6MB-down service, "DSL Extreme" is not yet available. However, I'm told that it is available in the part of my phone exchange that's within three miles of the main switch. But, I'm on a sub-switch that hasn't been upgraded yet. They're making progress though, because when I had checked before, it wasn't available in any of my exchange. So far, no complaints about the merger of Alltel's landline and DSL service with Valor Telecom, that resulted in the new company, called Windstream! They;ve even made some cosmetic improvements in their website/customer portal. And, during the e-mail domain transition period (which I'm told may be as long as a couple of years) e-mail to my account at either "@alltel.net" or "@windstream.net" will get to me. --Neat!

Added 4/27/08

Speeds had been gradually deteriorating, over the past 12 - 15 months. Not so much, the maximum burst speed, but the average consistent speed. So much of a degradation as to make streaming web content unusable. Streaming video spent more time re-buffering that it did displaying a video. I'd contacted technical support several times, and got no real results. It used to be, prior to the advent of Windstream, that whenever I called technical support, I'd get a relatively knowledgeable, obviously US-based technician. Since the Windstream takeover, much of their technical support seems to have been outsourced to an off-shore operation, whose technicians' expertise seems to be grossly lacking. In fact, their answers to questions seem to be read from a script! And, their troubleshooting is obviously script-based. --Not to mention the language difficulties, since I'm not terribly proficient at deciphering badly mangled English!

After getting so completely disgusted with the slow, inconsistent data transfer speeds and the inability of the technical support department to offer any solution to the problem, I finally called the Business Office to discuss changing my DSL service plan to the speed range that I was actually experiencing. The representative seemed to understand my problem, and said that he'd go ahead and do that, but asked if I'd mind waiting on hold a moment, while he checked to see if he could offer a means of improving my service. I agreed. He checked and found that the ADSL2 (6mb speed) is not yet available in my area, which I knew, but he said that he'd also noted that my DSL modem, a Speedstream 5200, was very old, and he offered a free replacement to the current Speedstream 4200, so see if that would improve my DSL experience. I agreed, and he said that the new modem would arrive in 3 - 5 days.

The new modem arrived this past Friday afternoon. Its installation was uneventful, and I noted that my DSL speed improved immediately, and has been consistent at around 2.3 - 2.4mb. That's back to what it was, when I first upgraded to the 3mb d/l service. Kudos to the Business Office representative!! --And shame on the techs, for not thinking of the possibility of a marginally performing modem!

Updated March 5, 2009--

"Better late than never!' It may be an old adage, but it certainly applies to Windstream's reliability improvements and its Customer Service improvements!

They have finally implemented some late, but reasonably effective network improvements to allow for much-improved data throughput and overall speed and consistency. In addition, they've recently brought their customer support call-center back to an "on-shore" operation. This provides consumers who experience difficulties with a vastly increased likelyhood of reaching a native-English-speaking support representative.

It does appear that this company has responded to the many vocal customers who've complained; however tardy that response may have been!

Thanks for listening, Windstream!

Added 10/15/2010

I recently upgraded my DSL service to the 6-MB download level at a $5.00 monthly price increase (now totaling $34.95, monthly), and am quite happy. The upgrade even included a new DSL modem (Speedstream 4200 w/updated firmware), at no additional charge. It's now possible to view streaming video clips, with only a rare stall (Even watched the recent address to the joint-session of Congress by Pres. Obama, with NO problems.)! And, best of all, my at-the-switch service speed settings are: 380 up / 7195 down, and my tested speeds average 319 up / 5990 down. --Not at all shabby!!

Added: 07/22/2011

Still using the 6MB down tier, which is the fastest service available in this rural area! Actual speeds have been averaging 6.1 MB down and 59KB up. Late in 2010 the bandwidth reliability took a dive, and remained so until early 2011. Since early 2011, the biggest improvement has been in bandwidth reliability. Up until about 6 - months ago, attempting to watch any streaming video was too frustrating to be worthwhile! It would stall and re-buffer at least once per minute! Now, I can watch CNN's and MSNBC's video news clips, and even live news events and Netflix streaming movies, usually without any interruption. After all this time, I finally feel that I'm getting value received for my broadband dollar!!

Added 10/18/2012

The latency, frequent IP address changing (2 or 3 times/day), and d/l speed deterioration in the evenings problems started about six months ago. After calling tech support several times without any noteworthy resolution, I checked the Windstream forum on this site and noted that my problems were similar to those reported by many Windstream users in the Southeastern US. It appears that Windstream has not been able to properly serve a large portion of the rural customers it has added through its acquisitions and new sales. It looks like they have grossly oversold capacity.

Still on the 6MB d/l speed plan, and actual d/l is close to that between 3AM and 4PM, but it drops to less than 1.5MB between 5PM and 2AM; sometimes going as low as 0.6MB mid-evening.

I called the business office today and spoke to a representative who appeared to understand my problem, and indicated that the capacity problems should be resolved by year-end.

Since Windstream is the only game in town, I guess I'm stuck with waiting! I'll update this post in January, 2013.

Added: 04/21/2013

Ol' Windstream is STILL up to their typical antics! They have continued to fail to make good on promises. Their speed improvements have not materialized!!!

I'd dump them in a minute if I had another choice better than dial-up. I have service that I'd consider to be broadband between 3 or 4:00AM and 9 ro10:00AM. Between 9 or 10:00AM and 3 or 4:00AM it varies between 0.18 Mbps and 2 Mbps; and closer to peak evening hours gets worse!

Overall Rating: STILL ABYSMAL! FLEE, IF YOU CAN!

Bob Hakes

Comments:

citgo

@mycingular.net

bad

Really really bad company
No good service at all
Please do not get this service

• Location: Hiawassee,Towns,GA
Bad "DS3 down for 14 hours no Fail over Switch for the DS3 circuit"
Overall "20,000 business/users out for that long - LOTS of $$$$ Lost"

4/20/2013 - For Release: Went out Yesterday in a POP in Dahlonega - had a
DS3 circuit go down - NO FAILOVER - - WORST ISP NETWORK BUILDOUT EVER (who
designed this CRAP)!!! Who does NOT have a failover for a DS3 circuit (ALL
the ones I put in had failovers - even if the board or chassis failed) . OK
here is their fix. Send for a new DS3 board out of Gainesville, GA -
approx. drive time 1 hour. - network was down from at least 7:30 am when I
tried to access, not back till 10:00 PM at night. WORST recovery EVER in
the history of networking - 20,000 people and business effected.

David

(review was emailed from domain windstream.net)
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by jhelmick See Profile

• Location: Lincoln,Lancaster,NE
Bad "BAD? I dont think its even that good!"
Overall "getting $10/month credit because they know their service sucks"

Several months ago I had connection issues, after several calls and several trips for techs to come out and 3 modems later I am able to hold a connection. I realize I am on the edge of DSL service and I knew that going in, but had tests done that would confirm a 1.5 tier service, And have had fairly consistent results for 6 or 7 years. Recently I have had extremely CHOPPY service, I run a Speedtest.net test and is would be slow, stall or even timeout during the test. This is fairly routine in the evening hours. I had the "Windstream Agent" I think they call it, pop up to diagnose my internet, and it would timeout thus causing another "agent" to pop up. My home is in a rural area with a limited amount of homes in the area, so I don’t think they have oversold the bandwidth that bad but who knows. The most frustrating thing is calling for service and getting the same old run around, Latest I was told they were aware of the problem and will be fixed within a few days. Typically on my 1.5 tier I download at about 1.28 k/bs, I can have results from .15 up to 1.28. At this point I am seriously thinking of going back to what I had prior to DSL which was the "line of sight" antenna setup, which has service for my area of up to 3 meg, Once I confirm that I will tell Windstream to stick it.

member for 11.5 years, 24 visits, last login: 1 year ago