Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by Cuzinshaggy See Profile

• Location: Kershaw,Lancaster,SC
Bad "Terrible service"
Overall "If you have a choice, this ain't it"

Been going back and forth with these guys for a long time to get something besides 512 down. I was told when I called to get service last December that I would have at least 3m by March at the very latest, probably alot sooner. It's now August and still got the same terribad speed. It's just been one pushback after another. If you have a choice in providers, do yourself a favor and pick the other one.

3/2/2013 Alright! A year from when our upgrades were to provide us with decent speeds and still not a damn lick of improvement! Way to take sucks to a whole nother level! Our fiber may not be active, but I bet that fiber line you run to the cell tower in Westville is!

3/9/2013 The new dslam has FINALLY been turned up! My attenuation has been almost halved! Now, according to the field tech, I have to wait for the records to get updated before I can get my speed bumped up. I hope the records don't take as long as actually getting the dslam turned up!

As of 3/18/2013 I now have 6mb DSL. The service is great so far and I hope it stays this way. I'll keep reporting back from time to time stateing service quality.

8/4/2013 My DSL has been pretty much ROCK SOLID since the new DSLAM was turned up! I get advertised speed pretty much 24/7 with low latency. Now if they would just offer me bonded.........

Comments:
Cuzinshaggy

Still bad

This is just to document as of 10/8/2012, our "high speed dsl" is still terrible as ever. Yet another couple of "fix dates" has passed and still no improvement what-so-ever. No one can even tell you why it doesn't get fixed. It does no good to call, they will just lie again. It's amazing that a company can stay in business like this.
jin

join:2012-01-15
Hazard, KY

Re: Still bad

I agree
This bullshit should be against the law.

Been waiting almost a year on this repair.

Checking in.......

11/19/2012
Just thought about checking in here to document I still have shitty DSL. No change, no nothing. Field tech says by the end of the year is what they're telling him, but then again they told him March back in January. Still paying for 1.5 down, still can only get .5 down on a damn good day, still paying 45 bucks a month. Looks like after almost a year of this I could at least get some kind of compensation............

checking in

Just checking in to state another deadline has passed and my internet is still the same. There's no need to call Windstream, they'll just give me another false date. I have filed an informal complaint with the FCC, maybe this will at least get an answer. Two more months and our upgrade will be a year over due.
ZexxMoore

join:2013-01-24
Trinity, TX

Re: checking in

My grandparents have it and their service is horrible. Every person I know who has Windstream has horrible service with constant disconnects and slow speeds.

I don't think a lifetime of searching could yield an ISP worse than Winstream.
Craig1993

join:2013-03-03
Denton, NC

Constant Disconnects and Speeds aren't promised either

I disconnected anywhere from 3-5 times a day, My service Fluctuates speeds well below 3Mb/s, I'm trying my damnedest to get Time Warner Cable in our Area, We had them when I lived with my father an the service was excellent as far as the speed, the price runs up after one year but IDGAF this internet isn't worth $.50!
Rebel Yell

join:2013-03-27

Re: Constant Disconnects and Speeds aren't promised either

I won't waste my breathe or your time to explain my displeasure with ShitStream. I have same troubles as everyone else and have been told same BULLSHIT as everyone else. No more Mr. Nice Guy (as Alice Cooper sang it best) for me. I will bash them every chance I get.

Review by OldCinco9 See Profile

• Location: Espanola,Rio Arriba,NM
Good "Minimal downtime. Quick recovery of service."
Bad "Uneven bandwidth delivery for the past 2 years"
Overall "Windstream tech support is very responsive, but, their hands are tied until the infrastructure is upgraded."
(ratings well above consensus)

Originally had 1.5/512, then upgraded to 3.0/768. Now I've upgraded to 6.0/768 and will see how that works out. Windstream employees have been extremely helpful and friendly in getting me just exactly what I ask for.

--Well, it's been a roller coaster ride with Windstream. I'm still on 6/768, but have not been getting all my bandwidth for the past 2 years. (I believe Windstream is over-subscribed), and have been calling their tech constantly. Just got off with another of their excellent techs who was able to restore my downstream bandwidth, and will see about getting me on their 12Mbps circuit. We'll see.

Comments:

Review by myhappyhome See Profile

• Location: Donalsonville,Seminole,GA
Good "Offer at beginning of service"
Bad "Everything after service was connected"
Overall "They drag you into a 2yr contract offering something they can't promise..Then SCREW you!"

Since the time of switching over from the 3mbps to the suggested 6mbps that I was offered, I have had conisistent problems with slow connections and outages. At some points, when I run the speed test that Windstream provided for me at the wesbite, »speedtest.cavtel.net/ the result is less than a half mbps. And throughout the day it is off and on between half a mbps to sometimes 1 or 2mbps, often too slow to load a whole website.

I have made several phone calls to the company and gotten "the run around"about their latency issues (basically being told that their equipment is outdated and they would not be upgrading it anytime soon). Knowing this, I became extremely frustrated that they continue to accept new customers, advertising 6mbps of service all over the internet and in my mailbox at home.

My last straw was when, after six years as an online college student, I actually failed a class due to the inability to get online and upload my papers and research for them. I explained to Windstream that if they did not fix the problem that I was afraid this would occur. Now I have an outstanding balance of almost $2,000 for a class that was failed.

Comments:
kpatt2006

join:2012-08-14
Greensburg, KY
·Windstream

online student using windstream dangerous

i've had to ask for several extensions on due assignments because of windstream. luckily, the professors have been pretty understanding so far. Windstream is easily my most hated company, along with EA (in the video game industry). Unfortunately, there are no other options in my area if i want anything besides dialup. Satellite internet has insanely high latency due to the nature of it. so i have to put up with the lies about equipment upgrades that never happen. Nice to see them still advertising their services in this area for speeds they can't even get close to delivering. It's a shame companies like this get away with whatever they want to.

• Location: Chautauqua,Chautauqua,NY
Good "polite on the phone for customer service"
Bad "wouldn't send tech to repair outside line for 10 days, assuming a 'vacation' phone wasn't important"

We have been customers of Windstream for 15 years, using a land line phone during our summer employment and paying a vacation rate to maintain the same phone number over the winter. This season began as usual: they reactivated the phone June 15. By July 20 there was static on the line and the phone would not ring, whether connected to the wall jack or through an answering machine. Their customer service politely said they would send a technician the following Wednesday (July 24). That never happened and upon calling them was told they wouldn't come until July 31 as we are a 'vacation' community. My husband is a tennis director and I play in a symphony that regularly calls us with timely information or updates; students also reach us by phone. Not having service for 10 out of 60 work days is unacceptable. They didn't feel we were important enough to warrant timely tech help. If they want to lose clients they are going about it in exactly the right way.

(review was emailed from domain comcast.net)

Comments:

Review by Black_Mage See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Fast, reliable, and a good price"
Bad "Had a major outage around the time I ordered service "
Overall "Not a bad choice if you don't live in an area with too many customers"
(ratings well above consensus)

I only considered DSL because the apartment complex I moved in has an agreement with Windstream. I get a slight discount because of it. My order was for 12 meg service, but I kept my cable Internet connection and took it with me as backup. I'm glad I did because I had the unfortunate luck having the start date of my DSL service around the same time there was an outage in my area. Something called a DSlam went offline.

After the DSlam was replaced, my service has been consistent and reliable. I haven't had any downtime, and I experience no drop in speed. I upgraded to the 24 meg tier recently. I'm lucky enough to be within range to get this service. I also think the price is reasonable. I like that I don't have to keep track of my bandwidth usage every month.

The only other thing I can add is I have read the reviews and I realize that not everyone has a good experience which is unfortunate. I recommend giving Windstream a try because no contract is required.

member for 2 years, 871 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
SnakeDoctor

join:2013-07-22
King, NC

You were Lucky

I have good service in the past. In the last two years my service quality is sorry. I called the Attorney Generals office in N.C. to file a formal complaint. I suggest you do the same if you can not get your problems resolved. Calling the Utilities Commission here in NC will not get things resolved. Call the AG.

Black_Mage
iMage
join:2012-09-12
USA

Re: You were Lucky

Since Internet service is still considered a luxury, I don't know what the AG will be able to do.

• Location: Dubre,Cumberland,KY
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Windsteam...aka Suckstream. Do yourself a favor and RUN the other way!!!"

My family and I have had Windstream for 10 years now (previously Alltel in
this area). Unfortunately, we have no other choice for service. The first
few years we were overcharged for a service we weren't even receiving and I
had to jump through hoops to get the difference refunded. Every time we
have connection issues I am told there is a known latency issue and they
are working on it (lol...working on it for 10 years now!). They say our
equipment is overburdened but they never attempt to fix the service in the
area.
My job is now an at home job and I am required to use a VPN. I can connect
to the VPN just fine but I cannot stay connected (seems to magically drop
at around an hour of connection) and then I have to wait about 10 minutes
to reconnect again (even though I still have internet).
Customer service is deplorable! I tried to get a seperate business line
run for my work computer and all I get is lame excuses about why they keep
cancelling the install. I am at my whits end with this company and it
looks as though their incompetence and lack of care for customer will end
up causing me to lose my job!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by mordie1001 See Profile

• Location: Bee Branch,Van Buren,AR
Good "Nothing anymore."
Bad "Horrible line quality/packet-loss, server issues, customer service issues, no alternatives."
Overall "Don't get these guys unless your only other options are Dialup or Satellite."

When we first got windstream 3 years ago, they were amazing, 400+ kbps downloads on a 3mbps line, no ping issues or connection drops. These ping issues started out as from 40 ping to areas in CA or NY, to 300 that would last for a few minutes and drop. Now after 3 years it's been 800+ pings to Texas for as long as 48 hours. Their customer service has done nothing and I have provided them with information, using this site. Sadly we cannot change providers because the only other people out here are Hughes Net Satellite internet or dial-up from the phone company. Avoid this company unless you have no other option.

Edit: So after calling them at the end of summer in August, they changed the lines in October, and still nothing is fixed now in the middle of November. I cannot get a hold of anyone in customer service to give them this data, I'll try again tomorrow after work, maybe I can get a hold of someone then.

Edit: June 25, 2013 - No hope of getting this fixed, was posting speed test data on the forums for months, got one answer back. Nothing happened so I give up, congrats windstream you have broken my will over the past 5 years. I will deal with your horrible ping spikes, crappy line quality, and unreliable connectivity until I move away. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Comments:

KK Memory

Outages and more outages

DSL down again, happens almost every week. Canton GA 30115. Today (6/28-6/29) 12 hours without service (10:30 pm-10:30 am)!!! The technicians do not even know you are down - I always ask - so they take you through the whole routine and then ask how old your computer is. I waste hours every week trying to fix it. If the techs knew what was going on it would save them and me time. I work at home. I NEED MY DSL AT NIGHT. My service is once again dropping about once a week around 10:15-10:30. What the --?? I'm thinking of making a formal complaint to the public service commission.

Review by Ceslen See Profile

• Location: Moody,Saint Clair,AL
Good "No caps YaY! Higher level support gets things done"
Bad "Congestion limiting bandwidth, the first human you talk to in support may as well be a robot"
Overall "A decent company that has the potential to show greatness if they would engage their clients needs"

I was looking for a faster upload speed to use with Backblaze. I would have purchased a higher upload speed if it was offered. I would have purchased bonded dsl if it was offered. I would have purchased a business account if it was offered. Unfortunately, in my area none of these are offered. So instead I purchased another, separate, dsl line. I have bonded them myself using a vps. The lack of caps is nice as I dont have to worry about my uploads or streaming services causing trouble. In the evenings, when everyone is doing what I'm doing, congestion slows the network down to a crawl, sometimes as little as 5 mbps of my 24 mbps but my upload always stays around 1.5 which is why I purchased the second line anyway. I accept this in exchange for the lack of caps. Of course I would prefer to have a nice line all to myself, but I digress... Windstream has great potential, they just need to use some of that cash they get from us mountain folks to invest in upgrades for us to purchase. If you build it, we will come.

Comments:
kpatt2006

join:2012-08-14
Greensburg, KY
·Windstream

windstream won't invest the customers money in its service

I live in a small area. 10 miles from the nearest city (which is also really small). Windstream is the only choice way out here, and when they first put in DSL, it was fantastic. Xbox live, Netflix, whatever you wanted to do. Since November 2011, this area has become one big latency outage. Which means most people get 50% or less of the service/speed they are actually paying for. Sometimes I'll get 20% of the 3mbps I'm paying for. I was made so many promises by Windstream that equipment upgrades were on the way last year. Then it was early this year. Then Summer of this year. Now they say sometime in 2014. Knowing they don't have the equipment to support the customers in my area, they choose to keep bringing in new customers so it just keeps getting worse. Has to be one of the most hated companies in America.

Review by dangladoo See Profile

• Location: Vilonia,Faulkner,AR
Good "Didn't charge me for the modem, customer support is in USA"
Bad "latency issues since 2 months after instal"
Overall "poor service"

Inconsistent connection speeds. Paying for 3Mbs and have never received it. Currently debating on cellular internet or satellite since Windstream, after 2+ years of giving us the run around and broken promises, stated it would be at least another year before the issue might be resolved. No other DSL or Cable available in our area, so they had a captive audience.

Comments:

sadwscustome

windstream service failure

same here. charging me for 3mb but cant deliver even one. I cant load basic pages. Tech came out once then was a no show for a second call- and I took off work to be here. have had issues with WS like this off and on for years. same as other poster, it is the only service out here and they know it and do not even try. they are beyond believable.

wartree

Me too

Horrible service every day. Even ran a new dedicated CAT6 to see if it would help. Still goes from bad to worse after 5pm.

Review by sg5020 See Profile

• Location: Winder,Barrow,GA
Good "Much lower cost than cable or dish"
Bad "Speed and support"
Overall "Abysmal"

Windstream was good and cost effective for years until last summer when they signed up more customers than their infrastructure would successfully support. Since then I get dial up speeds at night and in rainy weather. I can only watch videos in the daytime. I pay for 3mbs! I've complained to Windstream numerous times and the Georgia PSC and my nearest state representative. Windstream has given me considerable credit until a certain limit was reached. Otherwise nothing has changed. They lied about upgrading the infrastructure. Apparently they can do whatever they want as no agency in Georgia cares about utility customers. The PSC is in collusion with the various utilities. Windstream has a monopoly on DSL service here and everything else costs much more so what's a customer to do? Avoid if at all possible.