Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by Blyhill See Profile

• Location: Ashville,Chautauqua,NY
Good "Nothing good to say"
Bad "Paying for 3Mbps getting less than 1Mbps"
Overall "Only other option I have is Dish. Ugh..."

Very slooooooow....

Comments:

Review by intekredneck See Profile

• Location: Bolivar,Polk,MO
Good "I can't think of any"
Bad "Tech Support, Plant Signal, Service's "
Overall "I can't wait till google fiber runs this sorry excuse for a provider off the map. "

Lets begin with I’m a true blue cable customer and was one of the original beta testers back in 1998 when Charter launched modem service in Baraboo Wi, my speeds then were 1.5 down, 512 up. Of course as technology changed so did my service package and until recently where I relocated to Bolivar Mo. I had 100 meg down & 10 up for the past year and half, also with that I had 3 DVR’s and a host of channels for roughly 160 a month.

Last month I move here to find out windstream is the only option, the fastest service they offer is 12 meg down and 512 up, which I have yet to see, cost 44.00 + 5 for max speed, according to them I also have to have their phone for DSL, add another 35.00 plus taxes and fees.

I could care less about TV, anything I do I do over the Roku or the Xbox but the kids like Disney and ABC so I get there basic cable package 35.00 plus tax .. When I ordered all this I asked the women what would the total cost per month be? I’m quoted 120.00 plus tax, I made this order on the 31st of July and it couldn’t be installed till Aug 8th .. I was blown at that, however I’m a network engineer my system rivals most small businesses, I used to work for Charter so I rewired the entire house in Cat and Cable, activated the cable part of the service, put my DSAM on this 17- 4 tap and it was sitting at positive 2 on 266 MHZ, pulled out my systems bag walked the plant down to the amp where I found a suck out on the feed leg of the amp, fixed that and all my neighbors all the way down the line to make sure we didn’t have any ingress or egress, put the dsam on my tap .. wholla positive 14 DBMV ..

Now comes the 8th, early in the morning my phone has dial tone and I thought, let’s see if we can get this modem provisioned, nothing, tried at noon, nothing, so I call their customer service who says I have to wait till 5 pm the order isn’t complete yet. 6 pm comes around same shit, get on the phone and 2 hours later they figured out there was never an internet package created for me.

I have never in my life (and I’ve seen some stupid CSR’s } seen a company so ass incompetent.

Today I receive a bill for 186.00 and they had the nerve to charge me an activation fee of $60.00 for the cable after I fixed the entire block.

I am amazed a real company hasn’t come in here and wipe this company off the map and they’d have no one to blame but themselves.

Tomorrow should be a fun day when I go in to dispute this bill.

Hopefully this helps

Comments:
Blyhill

join:2013-08-26
Ashville, NY

Western NY Windstream DSL

Paying for 3Mbps getting less than 1Mbps. Called and complained many +20 times in the last three years. Filed complaint with State District Attorneys office still waiting. Unfortunately for me no other option other than Dish. I would consider Dish but it snows and rains often in Western New York causing many interruptions with Dish service. My 3g cellular service on my smart for is as good as it gets here.
intekredneck

join:2013-08-21

Re: Western NY Windstream DSL

I hear yea, if verison was a little more lenient with the bandwidth allocation, I would consider going completely with a wireless connection. But there is no way with the size of my network I could do that.
kpatt2006

join:2012-08-14
Greensburg, KY
·Windstream

hard to believe windstream still exists

This is my speed as of right now with no other programs running at all, nor any other browser tabs. This has been my speeds during the day since November 2011 when they finally admitted my area was oversold and is in a "latency outage". After countless calls to windstream, emails/ calls to the BBB, emails to the FCC, the only thing that was accomplished was $10 off my monthly bill for 1 year only. WOW. They kept lying about the upgrade progress as well. The date, of course, kept getting pushed back and back. Latest news, the equipment is not scheduled to be upgraded in my area this year, better luck next year. Funny though, they still keep sending my neighbors and older folks that don't use computers, flyers in the mail wanting them to sign up for Windstream "High Speed" Internet! Blows my mind that a company like this can just run wild and do whatever without any repercussions.

wallenator

@oanet.com

I feel for you.

You are 100% on the mark when you call Windstream incompetent. I will go out on a limb and call them downright thieves. Once you get your DSL installed, don't count on getting the speed you paid for. We finally got another option in our area other than Windstream and I jumped ship as quick as I could.

Review by Dr Digital See Profile

• Location: New Virginia,Warren,IA
Good "The information is out there for the customer to find on their own and try and fix their problems."
Bad "Not enough space to write in. If you have an option RUN! Avoid calling tech support or customer service."
Overall "Avoid any humans that work for this company! If a human touches your account they will mess it up and won't fix it. "

What I am trying to have done by current Tier 1.5 Tech A****:

If A**** would pay attention, he/she would see what the issue is and correct it like every other Tier 2 Tech has done WHEN THEY (NOT ME....) MAKE CHANGES ON MY DSL ACCOUNT.

Iowa Telecom 1.5mbps Plan: (I'm grandfathered in and pay for) - Provisioning 1920 download and 960 upload
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/2737482997

Windstream 1.5mbps Plan: (What they have me provisioned for!) Provisioning 1536 download and 368 upload
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/2900155652

"If any changes are made to your DSL account you may run into the same issue. Just contact us here with DSLReports if it happens again."
M***** B.

What A**** WON'T DO:
M***** B.
Broadband Tier II

I WOULD 100% agree with totalradio's review of Windtsream. M******, L****** and others in Tier 2 Tech support in past have NEVER had a problem helping fix my unique situation on my dsl account here on dslreports. This was before the current situation (same thing every other Tier 2 Tech fixed except A****) and person -A**** with this so called company called Windstream. However, the new person called -A**** is a complete joke and complete waste of time. It used to be different going through DSLReports to receive help. Now it is no different than the regular tech support for Windstream anyway. -A**** should not be in Tier 2 Tech support. This is somewhat my response to this so called tech support. I have changed some things for this review.

Whatever, seriously! You and your company are a joke. I PAY FOR 1.5mbps not 1.2 or anything else. THE 1.2 WOULD BE ACCEPTABLE IF I WAS ON A 1.5 MBPS WINDSTREAM PLAN. I'M NOT. I AM GRANDFATHERED INTO THE IOWA TELECOM 1.5mbps plan which is provisioned at 1.9mbps not 1.5mbps like the current 1.5mbps Windstream plan!!!!! Are you really that ignorant? I could care less what the WINDSTREAM PLANS are I am paying and should be provisioned for the grandfathered IOWA TELECOM plan I am billed for for three years now which you stated is 1.9mbps download and .80 upload. PROVISIONED. Doesn't mean I will get. But, when you provision me for the WINDSTREAM 1.5mbps you already know I won't get that. 60% rule. Do the math!!!! Seriously, and you are in tech support. YOUR COMPANY EVEN RECEIVED TAX PAYER DOLLARS AND STILMULUS MONEY. You all keep up this kind of support and customer service and your job will dry up. Seriously, remember I told you that. I will pray for you! Companies like the one you so eagerly work for will soon be a thing of the past treating loyal customers like this. So what is the difference between the 1.5 Iowa Telecom Plan and the 1.5 Windstream plan? Explain please!!!! I know one is provisioned at 1.5mbps and the other 1.9mbps. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see which one will get closer to the 1.5mbps I am paying for applying the 60% rule Windstream uses. According to you. Then the FREE INTERNET UPGRADE OFFER is a joke and a scam too. The ripping off of customers and the treatment and lies you tell will catch up with you all. Windstream may have a monopoly now. But the first step was getting higher speeds here (which are now available in my area and this is how I know it's provisioning NOT EQUIPMENT) and then competition. Google, Facebook, and Microsoft all have or will have data centers in Iowa. Therefore alot of internet traffic will flow through IOWA and then cause competition to come here. When that happens you better believe I will drop my service faster than the phone will dial the cancellation department. A**** Tier -1.50 Tech /WINDSTREAM

Earlier reply from 2012 when situation was fixed before by another tech.
**************
Sorry about the delay in our reply, we ran out of time last night. We were able to get your down load fixed.

By default IA Telecom set the modem sync. rates higher then we do for the same speed package. So took us a little finagling to get you back to the old IA Telecom settings.

*******If any changes are made to your DSL account you may run into the same issue. Just contact us here with DSLReports if it happens again.*******

We did check into a 3 Mb option. Your SNR readings are good enough for 3 Mb but the DSLAM you are connected to can handle the 3 Mb. But your DSLAM is slated to be upgraded, so you should be able to get 3 MB by the end of October.

Hope this satisfies all your needs,

M****** B.
*****************

8/14/2013 UPDATE...

The issue was finally fixed through A**** (Tier 2 Tech Windstream) and V***** at Windstream. I am going to leave this review the way it is until I know for sure everything has been corrected. What I mean is the plan, bill, and service that I am paying for was left alone and nothing changed to make this work. When I know everything is correct, I may move this to the mixed category

Comments:

kman1964

@oanet.com

?

A couple of things. Your post is somewhat confusing. It seems as if you are suggesting that DSL reports has something to do with Windstream tech support. I may be totally wrong, but the two have no connection at all. DSL reports does not troubleshoot issues with various broadband providers. Second, be prepared for many, many latency issues with Windstream. Their infrastructure is outdated and they make no attempt to improve it. If you have any other choice, go with someone else.
Dr Digital

join:2011-05-24

Re: ?

I love DSLReports. Of course this site (DSLReports) has nothing to do with Winstream. And as far as Windstreams infrastructure they have new equipment where I am and so that is not an issue. My situation is very unique.
iowaboy
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA
·Mediacom
·WildBlue

Re: ?

The reason he is supposed to come to DSLReports is to work directly with the Tech lls here on the Windstream forum as his situation is unique. It really isn't that hard to follow if one knows that Windstream does have a monitored form that the techs follow.

Review by Cuzinshaggy See Profile

• Location: Kershaw,Lancaster,SC
Bad "Terrible service"
Overall "If you have a choice, this ain't it"

Been going back and forth with these guys for a long time to get something besides 512 down. I was told when I called to get service last December that I would have at least 3m by March at the very latest, probably alot sooner. It's now August and still got the same terribad speed. It's just been one pushback after another. If you have a choice in providers, do yourself a favor and pick the other one.

3/2/2013 Alright! A year from when our upgrades were to provide us with decent speeds and still not a damn lick of improvement! Way to take sucks to a whole nother level! Our fiber may not be active, but I bet that fiber line you run to the cell tower in Westville is!

3/9/2013 The new dslam has FINALLY been turned up! My attenuation has been almost halved! Now, according to the field tech, I have to wait for the records to get updated before I can get my speed bumped up. I hope the records don't take as long as actually getting the dslam turned up!

As of 3/18/2013 I now have 6mb DSL. The service is great so far and I hope it stays this way. I'll keep reporting back from time to time stateing service quality.

8/4/2013 My DSL has been pretty much ROCK SOLID since the new DSLAM was turned up! I get advertised speed pretty much 24/7 with low latency. Now if they would just offer me bonded.........

Comments:
Cuzinshaggy

Still bad

This is just to document as of 10/8/2012, our "high speed dsl" is still terrible as ever. Yet another couple of "fix dates" has passed and still no improvement what-so-ever. No one can even tell you why it doesn't get fixed. It does no good to call, they will just lie again. It's amazing that a company can stay in business like this.
jin

join:2012-01-15
Hazard, KY

Re: Still bad

I agree
This bullshit should be against the law.

Been waiting almost a year on this repair.

Checking in.......

11/19/2012
Just thought about checking in here to document I still have shitty DSL. No change, no nothing. Field tech says by the end of the year is what they're telling him, but then again they told him March back in January. Still paying for 1.5 down, still can only get .5 down on a damn good day, still paying 45 bucks a month. Looks like after almost a year of this I could at least get some kind of compensation............

checking in

Just checking in to state another deadline has passed and my internet is still the same. There's no need to call Windstream, they'll just give me another false date. I have filed an informal complaint with the FCC, maybe this will at least get an answer. Two more months and our upgrade will be a year over due.
ZexxMoore

join:2013-01-24
Trinity, TX

Re: checking in

My grandparents have it and their service is horrible. Every person I know who has Windstream has horrible service with constant disconnects and slow speeds.

I don't think a lifetime of searching could yield an ISP worse than Winstream.
Craig1993

join:2013-03-03
Denton, NC

Constant Disconnects and Speeds aren't promised either

I disconnected anywhere from 3-5 times a day, My service Fluctuates speeds well below 3Mb/s, I'm trying my damnedest to get Time Warner Cable in our Area, We had them when I lived with my father an the service was excellent as far as the speed, the price runs up after one year but IDGAF this internet isn't worth $.50!
Rebel Yell

join:2013-03-27

Re: Constant Disconnects and Speeds aren't promised either

I won't waste my breathe or your time to explain my displeasure with ShitStream. I have same troubles as everyone else and have been told same BULLSHIT as everyone else. No more Mr. Nice Guy (as Alice Cooper sang it best) for me. I will bash them every chance I get.

Review by OldCinco9 See Profile

• Location: Espanola,Rio Arriba,NM
Good "Minimal downtime. Quick recovery of service."
Bad "Uneven bandwidth delivery for the past 2 years"
Overall "Windstream tech support is very responsive, but, their hands are tied until the infrastructure is upgraded."
(ratings well above consensus)

Originally had 1.5/512, then upgraded to 3.0/768. Now I've upgraded to 6.0/768 and will see how that works out. Windstream employees have been extremely helpful and friendly in getting me just exactly what I ask for.

--Well, it's been a roller coaster ride with Windstream. I'm still on 6/768, but have not been getting all my bandwidth for the past 2 years. (I believe Windstream is over-subscribed), and have been calling their tech constantly. Just got off with another of their excellent techs who was able to restore my downstream bandwidth, and will see about getting me on their 12Mbps circuit. We'll see.

Comments:

Review by myhappyhome See Profile

• Location: Donalsonville,Seminole,GA
Good "Offer at beginning of service"
Bad "Everything after service was connected"
Overall "They drag you into a 2yr contract offering something they can't promise..Then SCREW you!"

Since the time of switching over from the 3mbps to the suggested 6mbps that I was offered, I have had conisistent problems with slow connections and outages. At some points, when I run the speed test that Windstream provided for me at the wesbite, »speedtest.cavtel.net/ the result is less than a half mbps. And throughout the day it is off and on between half a mbps to sometimes 1 or 2mbps, often too slow to load a whole website.

I have made several phone calls to the company and gotten "the run around"about their latency issues (basically being told that their equipment is outdated and they would not be upgrading it anytime soon). Knowing this, I became extremely frustrated that they continue to accept new customers, advertising 6mbps of service all over the internet and in my mailbox at home.

My last straw was when, after six years as an online college student, I actually failed a class due to the inability to get online and upload my papers and research for them. I explained to Windstream that if they did not fix the problem that I was afraid this would occur. Now I have an outstanding balance of almost $2,000 for a class that was failed.

Comments:
kpatt2006

join:2012-08-14
Greensburg, KY
·Windstream

online student using windstream dangerous

i've had to ask for several extensions on due assignments because of windstream. luckily, the professors have been pretty understanding so far. Windstream is easily my most hated company, along with EA (in the video game industry). Unfortunately, there are no other options in my area if i want anything besides dialup. Satellite internet has insanely high latency due to the nature of it. so i have to put up with the lies about equipment upgrades that never happen. Nice to see them still advertising their services in this area for speeds they can't even get close to delivering. It's a shame companies like this get away with whatever they want to.

• Location: Chautauqua,Chautauqua,NY
Good "polite on the phone for customer service"
Bad "wouldn't send tech to repair outside line for 10 days, assuming a 'vacation' phone wasn't important"

We have been customers of Windstream for 15 years, using a land line phone during our summer employment and paying a vacation rate to maintain the same phone number over the winter. This season began as usual: they reactivated the phone June 15. By July 20 there was static on the line and the phone would not ring, whether connected to the wall jack or through an answering machine. Their customer service politely said they would send a technician the following Wednesday (July 24). That never happened and upon calling them was told they wouldn't come until July 31 as we are a 'vacation' community. My husband is a tennis director and I play in a symphony that regularly calls us with timely information or updates; students also reach us by phone. Not having service for 10 out of 60 work days is unacceptable. They didn't feel we were important enough to warrant timely tech help. If they want to lose clients they are going about it in exactly the right way.

(review was emailed from domain comcast.net)

Comments:

Review by Black_Mage See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Fast, reliable, and a good price"
Bad "Had a major outage around the time I ordered service "
Overall "Not a bad choice if you don't live in an area with too many customers"
(ratings well above consensus)

I only considered DSL because the apartment complex I moved in has an agreement with Windstream. I get a slight discount because of it. My order was for 12 meg service, but I kept my cable Internet connection and took it with me as backup. I'm glad I did because I had the unfortunate luck having the start date of my DSL service around the same time there was an outage in my area. Something called a DSlam went offline.

After the DSlam was replaced, my service has been consistent and reliable. I haven't had any downtime, and I experience no drop in speed. I upgraded to the 24 meg tier recently. I'm lucky enough to be within range to get this service. I also think the price is reasonable. I like that I don't have to keep track of my bandwidth usage every month.

The only other thing I can add is I have read the reviews and I realize that not everyone has a good experience which is unfortunate. I recommend giving Windstream a try because no contract is required.

member for 2.1 years, 887 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
SnakeDoctor

join:2013-07-22
King, NC

You were Lucky

I have good service in the past. In the last two years my service quality is sorry. I called the Attorney Generals office in N.C. to file a formal complaint. I suggest you do the same if you can not get your problems resolved. Calling the Utilities Commission here in NC will not get things resolved. Call the AG.

Black_Mage
iMage
join:2012-09-12
USA

Re: You were Lucky

Since Internet service is still considered a luxury, I don't know what the AG will be able to do.

• Location: Dubre,Cumberland,KY
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Windsteam...aka Suckstream. Do yourself a favor and RUN the other way!!!"

My family and I have had Windstream for 10 years now (previously Alltel in
this area). Unfortunately, we have no other choice for service. The first
few years we were overcharged for a service we weren't even receiving and I
had to jump through hoops to get the difference refunded. Every time we
have connection issues I am told there is a known latency issue and they
are working on it (lol...working on it for 10 years now!). They say our
equipment is overburdened but they never attempt to fix the service in the
area.
My job is now an at home job and I am required to use a VPN. I can connect
to the VPN just fine but I cannot stay connected (seems to magically drop
at around an hour of connection) and then I have to wait about 10 minutes
to reconnect again (even though I still have internet).
Customer service is deplorable! I tried to get a seperate business line
run for my work computer and all I get is lame excuses about why they keep
cancelling the install. I am at my whits end with this company and it
looks as though their incompetence and lack of care for customer will end
up causing me to lose my job!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by mordie1001 See Profile

• Location: Bee Branch,Van Buren,AR
Good "Nothing anymore."
Bad "Horrible line quality/packet-loss, server issues, customer service issues, no alternatives."
Overall "Don't get these guys unless your only other options are Dialup or Satellite."

When we first got windstream 3 years ago, they were amazing, 400+ kbps downloads on a 3mbps line, no ping issues or connection drops. These ping issues started out as from 40 ping to areas in CA or NY, to 300 that would last for a few minutes and drop. Now after 3 years it's been 800+ pings to Texas for as long as 48 hours. Their customer service has done nothing and I have provided them with information, using this site. Sadly we cannot change providers because the only other people out here are Hughes Net Satellite internet or dial-up from the phone company. Avoid this company unless you have no other option.

Edit: So after calling them at the end of summer in August, they changed the lines in October, and still nothing is fixed now in the middle of November. I cannot get a hold of anyone in customer service to give them this data, I'll try again tomorrow after work, maybe I can get a hold of someone then.

Edit: June 25, 2013 - No hope of getting this fixed, was posting speed test data on the forums for months, got one answer back. Nothing happened so I give up, congrats windstream you have broken my will over the past 5 years. I will deal with your horrible ping spikes, crappy line quality, and unreliable connectivity until I move away. DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY.

Comments:

KK Memory

@windstream.net

Outages and more outages

DSL down again, happens almost every week. Canton GA 30115. Today (6/28-6/29) 12 hours without service (10:30 pm-10:30 am)!!! The technicians do not even know you are down - I always ask - so they take you through the whole routine and then ask how old your computer is. I waste hours every week trying to fix it. If the techs knew what was going on it would save them and me time. I work at home. I NEED MY DSL AT NIGHT. My service is once again dropping about once a week around 10:15-10:30. What the --?? I'm thinking of making a formal complaint to the public service commission.