Windstream page on DSLReports

• Location: Greensburg,Green,KY
Good "LOL seriously?"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Avoid"

Absolutely the worst company I've ever been forced to use in my life. Been looking at houses to get out of this area and away from Windstream, but until then, I'm forced to be connected with Windstream. A latency outage started up in 2011. There has been countless phone calls made to Windstream tech support asking for answers. Almost every time I called, I would get different answers or no answers at all. Finally, using dslreports.com, I got the answer that this latency outage in my area was to be fixed sometime in 2013. So that is how much Windstream cares about their customers. Since they have no competition in this area, letting customers get less than 30% of the service they pay for on a daily basis for 2 years is no big deal or risk for them. Yes, on a daily basis I get less than 30% of the speed that is being paid for. I actually cannot believe this company is still in business. I guess it's because they target remote areas that will have no competition in ISP providers, oversell the area so no one gets the service they're paying for, and still charge as much as they want to knowing that their customers have no alternatives except to relocate their families to a better area.

UPDATE: Worse and worse, this company is getting. There is no way that the way they run this company can be legal. How do they still exist? Will the FTC do anything about it? I'll attach the latest speedtest screenshot from today, which was 0.12mbps download speeds. I can't even browse the internet or load email. It was about 12:30pm when I ran the test, but it was unusable a few hours before that, and it will be that bad until around 2 a.m., then it might hit 2.0mbps. The latest info from them is "we would know more in Q1 2015, but as of now, upgrades are still planned in 2015 for my area." They said they would have to check the budgets and see if it still works. LOL. I think when you spend nothing on upgrades for so long, charge the same overpriced cost, you're going to have enough budget if you actually wanted to upgrade. They don't though, they still have no competition. SCRTC is suppose to be coming into my county next year, which is why Windstream has kept pushing back their upgrades until they are in danger of losing their customers to another option. The absolute best speed my internet can reach now, 1mbps at 3 a.m... 30% of the speed I'm paying for. Am I getting a 70% discount? HAHA YEAH RIGHT

»www.speedtest.net/result/3838244573.png

member for 2.1 years, 267 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Fixed sometime in 2013?? WTF

"Latency outage in my area was to be fixed sometime in 2013?"

Talk about hillbilly internet!!!

I know there are based in Pulaski Little Rock but come on... Can't fix a fixable common issue until next year. Ridiculous...

Might want to look at »www.hughesnet.com/index.cfm?page···ing#gen4

Re: Fixed sometime in 2013?? WTF

I had Hughes net before I could get DSL and the latency is crazy. There is no online gaming or streaming of Netflix with 500-800ms latency. Yes, 2 whole years just for Windstream to upgrade their equipment. They have no problem still selling out internet service though because my grandma lives right down the road from me, doesn't have a computer, but Windstream calls her up every so often asking her to sign up for Windstream "high-speed" internet service! Haha gosh. It's getting worse too as time is going by because earlier this year, around 2am when my speed would actually be at 3.0mbps, my latency would be 45ms ping. Now, my speed doesn't hit 3.0mbps even at 2 or 3am, only a maximum of 2.4mbps at 98ms ping.

No such animal.

As a retired CenturyTel (now CenturyLink) employee, I dealt in DSL mostly for residential & business customers in my area. There is no such animal as a "latency outage". This is a phrase that Alltel (now Windstream) uses (and invented) to describe a problem they don't (or won't) know how to fix. 99% of the time, its usually bad outside plant because they don't (or won't) maintain it. In areas they purchased, the plant was already bad, and is getting worse.

Windstream really can't afford to make massive upgrades (or maintenance) to the plant because their balance sheet is still in the toilet from all of the purchases they've made over the years. Only when they're HEAVILY pressured, will they do anything to improve your service. Myself, I currently live in a Windstream area, but with their shoddy service and non-existent support (if you can call it that), I'm moving back to where I used to live where I had AT&T. At least where I used to live, AT&T worked very well.

All Windstream will do is pay lip service to you and when they're questioned by the press, lip service will be paid to them as well. I remember a time (last year), they used to troll around on here trying to "solve customer problems", when in fact, they couldn't (or wouldn't). You don't seen them on here anymore.

I feel your pain. Just roll with the flow until you move.

Review by jguillen80 See Profile

• Location: Espanola,Rio Arriba,NM
Good "CSR in local office was nice and eager to help me"
Bad "I have called cust. svc over 15 times to try and get faster connection. They say anything to get you off the phone"
Overall "Worst isp ever! If I had another choice I would take it"

I have been trying to get the 12 mbps package for since i first started svc. I have called 15-20 times already over the last 3 weeks. First they said I didn't qualify because of my address, I told them i have a different physical address than my mailing. they said they would check into the new address to see if i could get any faster speed. I waited for a call back after the rep said they would call me to let me know if it was possible. Waited a week and nothing. Called and called the following week and it was excuse after excuse about this and that. Finally Last Friday(10/10/14) the rep told me he put in the order to upgrade my speed but it wouldn't go into effect till Monday since i called later in the afternoon. Monday(10/13/14) came and went and I finally called in the afternoon and the rep said that it would be switched over first thing in the morning. Tuesday(10/14/14) morning passed while I played with the router, resetting it and stuff. So I finally called a little after noon and the rep said that it will go into effect by 5 PM. I called about 3 hrs later and the next rep said it will go into effect by 7 pm. I said to my self they are just telling me this to get me off the phone and stop bugging. Well after 7 pm I started a chat session with tech support . she is supposed to call me in the AM so we can 3 way customer svc again and finally get this taken care of. I seriously doubt it but we will see. If it doesn't happen by tomorrow(10/15/14) Im gonna raise a stink with the BBB the state of NM and the FTC. I am sick and tired of the way they treat customers in rural areas just because they are the only show in town!!!

Comments:

Review by coldmoon See Profile

• Location: Broadway,Lee,NC
Good "Tech support personnel are honest and do the best they can"
Bad "Reliably slow, grossly overpriced, heavily over-subscribed "
Overall "Total lack of competitive pressures leads to high prices with poor service"

Completely overpriced for the service they deliver. Network is over-subscribed to such a degree that watching simple YouTube videos comes with extreme buffering, making the service useless for anything other than checking e-mail and working on on-line forums that have no video content.and this is on a 3M account (highest they provide in my area).

If this is broadband, you might be better off using carrier pigeon...

If this provider is the only one available in an area you are thinking of moving to, look for your new home elsewhere; you will be thankful you did!

member for 12.7 years, 2265 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Cine

Class action suit

Ok, so when is someone going to take up our cause? They sold me a bill of goods they can't deliver. They have a bad rep for selling in areas they don't have equipment to service properly. I can't even sit down with my iPad and do a Google search without having to wait, like in land line days. Forget Xbox or YouTube. Before you buy a house, make sure you have choices. Verizon, where are you when I need you? And where is our knight in shining armour lawyer. This is one that can be won!
GearheadX

join:2010-05-11
Hilliard, FL

Re: Class action suit

We can't file a class action lawsuit because of the terms of service we all signed. We can, on the other hand, contact the FCC and our local news outlets.

Poor Service

The problem with Windstream is that when they purchased the smaller telcos, they bought them (knowingly or not) with the infrastructure in poor or horrible shape. It costs quite a bit to replace long stretches of cable, or in some cases, they have inadequate circuits feeding their DSLAMS. When the DSLAMS are at their capacity, they can't (or won't) upgrade the circuits feeding the DSLAMS because that's also expensive. So they keep selling DSL in those areas until the DSLAM gets full. By that time, everyone on that DSLAM notices extremely slow speeds. Couple that with bad cable in the area, and the problem becomes worse. Windstream knows this, and they keep selling DSL in those areas, and they should know better. Windstream simply cannot afford to make even moderate repairs in those areas as Windstream's balance sheet is horrible. They are concentrated on paying down their massive debt, which is nearly crushing the company because they don't have the cash to make any capex.

However, getting the media involved really won't do any good, since all Windstream does is pay lip service to the media. Unless the media aggressively follows up on the problem in a particular area, Windstream simply waits until the attention dies down, and its back to business as usual. Depending on your location, contacting your state's Attorney General may prove fruitless too. Windstream usually contributes to most state AG's, so nothing gets done, as that state's AG may turn a blind eye to their practices.

If you think Windstream might be advertising their service and constantly fails to provide them, even moderately, may I suggest a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). They deal in false & deceptive advertising and can move against Windstream more aggressively. They have the power to make them either deliver proper services, or stop advertising services they can't deliver. The FTC can also file suit against Windstream (on behalf of customers) for failure to follow FTC orders. Since DSL is a de-regulated product, complaining to your state Public Service Commission, or like equivalent won't do any good. Complaining to the FCC probably won't do any good either, unless it involves problems with your telephone service. Even if Windstream tells the FTC "yeah, yeah, yeah, we'll work with our customers and deliver what we promise", except the FTC will aggressively follow up to make sure that they do and won't stop until they do one or the other. The FTC has more power that most federal agencies, except the EPA or IRS, possesses.

So, if you complain to the FTC, make sure you have a copy of what they're advertising, and proof of the service that you currently receive. If the FTC gets enough complaints, they will look into the matter.

nunyabiz

windstream (shitstream) sucks!

If only, if only there was some computation; I would leave these folk so fast. . . I've endured the monopoly for 9long years, and it's never been anything but sucky. If I had to rate it with numbers, I would have to use large exponents! Fuck windstream!

Review by MooJohn See Profile

• Location: Milledgeville,Baldwin,GA
Good "Extremely reliable, get full rated speeds"
Bad "Speed is nowhere near cable options"
Overall "No complaints after 13 years of service"

13 years of WS DSL and still cranking. They finally rolled out faster (than 3 meg) speeds in my area and I couldn't reach the 12 meg due to signal strength but I'm a very solid 6 meg. Had to retire the old Cisco 678 for the speed increase, replaced by a Sagemcom 1704 with built-in wireless.

What was a rocky start to the upgrade was fixed by local techs who finally figured out why I wasn't able to top 3 meg. It was a combination of bad lines (outside the house) and other issues on their end. I now get my full rated speed any time of day and have no complaints.

Direct support here @ DSLR was a very nice experience. It probably made the difference between me sticking with WS and saying F-it, I'm going to Charter when I had difficulties with the upgrade.

Having said that, I get 30 meg cable at my business for the same price I pay for 6 meg DSL at home so I will eventually move to them for telephone & internet too. If they allowed DIY install like Windstream does I'd be a cable customer now but they still roll a truck for every new internet customer as if people are too stupid to connect the cable and a power brick.

-----------------

Update of 10/13/2014

My Windstream is still chugging along at 6 meg. Reliability is pretty good and speed is stable. Having said that, I could get 60 meg internet and unlimited telephone service from Charter for $30 less per month than Windstream 6 meg costs now. While the price is compelling I still won't switch because I don't have time to deal with their install.

member for 8.8 years, 3444 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Joe124589

@windstream.net

Technical support in Pittsburg are idiots

After an hour Cheryl hung up on me, Jeff gave me the wrong password 2 hrs of listening to dolts trying to speak but just being silent most of the time Can't they train people with an IQ above moron? They are the only isp so I have no choice. Maybe India is a better idea

lil brandon

windstream

we have had windstream for a year and in the past 6 months it is just crappy. every ten to twenty minutes the internet sign on the router goes off and then either my xbox live gets disconnected or my computer gets disconnected. its really frustrating cause i have been waiting for them to fix it for months and i have fallen behind on my school work because of me being homeschooled. i just hope they fix it before i eventually get kicked out of school.

Review by BoZee See Profile

• Location: Sweeny,Brazoria,TX
Good "Does not cap usage, claims to only throttle down speed for all users on heavy usage."
Bad "Speed is never at speed we're signed up for and often is ancient dial-up speed or lower."
Overall "Use any other Internet provider if at all possible. "

Windstream unpredictably will operate at dial-up speed or slower for weeks at a time, despite us paying for a 3-Mbps connection. I hate to think of the speed of those with regular connections. Any high bandwidth service such as video is unusable most of the time, despite us paying a premium monthly rate. Tech Support is courteous and tries to be helpful, but they are apparently not kept in the loop by the corporation or are told to lie.

Comments:

Disappointed

@98.20.38.x

Bad Service

They charge 93 a month lifetime for phone and Internet. How ever we have problems with both. I assume they drafted this company to handle rural areas to have some sort of service on occasion. They should be deducted for services not provided.

Review by badd See Profile

• Location: De Queen,Sevier,AR
Good "Up Time is Fantastic"
Bad "Once again cs reps are dumber than dirt. Where did they dig up this latest batch."
Overall "Very well satisfied overall"
(ratings well above consensus)

Windstream in De Queen now has top tier of 12000/756. Service is outstanding 99% up time and speeds are really good. Upload speed changed to 756 Have had them since 2002 and have only been down 5 times. Four of them due to some idiot cutting the fiber optics cable. Other option is Cable and it sucks on price and service.

CS Reps were fine when Windstream first took over from Alltel then they Outsorced it and went to hell moved it back to USA and once again it was fine

Now it has gone to pot again. They are dumber than dirt........ Up date 9/13/2014 Still going strong here mo problems with speed or up time. Only two problems in past year and that was from some idiot cutting fiber optic cable both times. Back up same day both times.

member for 13 years, 4097 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Comcastfan

@swbell.net

bait and switch

This company is a total fraud, I received printed flyers in the mail, talked to the service reps before switching from Comcast to Windstream. I was promised high speed internet for 29.99. I got my bill and it was over $110 plus $25 per month for the modem (which didn't work). They think high speed is 3mb download speed. They gave me 12MB after promising 24mb speed and charged me an additional $5. Their surcharges and other fees are outrageous. I was paying $53 a month for 50mb from Comcast. I have had this service for 2 days and am trying to cancel now. They told me they won't take back the modem and tons of other b.s. DO NOT USE THEM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE UNLESS YOU ENJOY GETTING RIPPED OFF.

Insane

@76.179.226.x

DSL

Why is DSL always capped at usually 768Kbps? Yours is 756Kbps which is slightly weird. It should be 1Mbps upload and they should utilize Annex M so you can get 3.5Mbps up.

switched to Windstream?

You switched from Comcast to Windstream? wooooooooooooooooow.

Review by IH8Sn0wFal See Profile

• Location: Broken Arrow,Tulsa,OK
Good "Unlimited COnnection, no restrictions, servers allowed"
Bad "SLOWWW, cuts out ALOT of the time. barely works during peak hours"
Overall "For anyone that ants to use the internet, your better off Getting another ISP/Cell phone"

Windstream is our only choice when we moved to a new house, the highest ackage we could get was a 3MB package, order and install took awhile, we used our OWN router and modem, since theirs is horrible..
UPDATE: 2-1-13: we have been upgraded to 6mbps, getting around 3-4 with 90ms ping.. still dropping every few hours..

UPDATE 12-30-13: we have been using our 6mbps package, and recently upgraded our router to an Asus router, now we are getting around a 45ms ping with an average of 4. download, and only about 1-3 drops a day, has gotten much better

UPDATE 9-9-14: After alot of complaining and trying all the options we have, have gotten upgraded to 12mbps bonded DSL, which peaks at around 10mbps, still has drops but is much better

- Jack

member for 2.6 years, 295 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
tonyNM

join:2014-01-05
Espanola, NM

Monopoly by windstream in rural areas

Congratulations, you must be in an area where windstream has competition
GPmax1

join:2014-01-19

Re: Monopoly by windstream in rural areas

Windstream has a monopoly in my area too.
HoTMeTaL
join:2010-02-12
Coweta, OK

I tire of Windstream's fraud as well

Here is a post of actual speeds from my SamKnows box monitoring their speeds from 9-22-2014 to the last test done today at 10am on 9-23-2014 charting download speed sustained - hourly

Review by linuxtom See Profile

• Location: Ashland,Boyd,KY
Good "Tier II support has tried to help"
Bad "Everything else"
Overall "Windstream Sucks!"

Years and years of sheer disgust with Windstream. Nothing but outage after outage after outage after outage. Speeds on my bonded 12mps line consistently below provisioned rate. If I had any other viable option at this point I'd switch to another provider today.

Comments:
totalradio

Not surprising

I recently (within the last couple of hours) had a "Comcast" moment with Windstream. For the past 2 weeks, my internet has gone down in the early evening for an extended period of time. Tonight, I've had enough, so I called to disconnect my DSL. Had to call 8 TIMES, having to navigate the useless phone tree and being disconnected several times. On the 7th time, I finally got a live, breathing person (at least I think they were breathing), so I asked why this is happening, and of course, got the usual response "we see there is a problem in your area". NO JOKE ! I ALREADY KNOW THAT ! So they were going to bump me up to Tier 2 support (I have a static IP), but for whatever reason, I got disconnected again (surprise, surprise). So, this time I call (the 8th time) and was going to disconnect my DSL service. A woman (very unfriendly) named "Nicole" (if that's her real name), began the conversation with the usual song & dance and told me "we see a problem in your area". DUH ! So I told her I wanted to disconnect, which she REFUSED and hung up on me also.

So tomorrow, I will be calling Windstream to de-excommunicate the hell out of that company's DSL. There is NO reason that I had to go through all of that, just to be hung up on TWICE and still no way to do what I wanted to do, until tomorrow. In my town, we do have a choice for internet, so I'll be calling them as soon as I kick Windstream to the curb. With what you spend on DSL, you'd think it would be more reliable than it is.

Sorry Windstream, you've lost a customer because of your incompetence and sheer bone-headedness, not to mention the attitude of your "customer service" folks.

Look out Media 3, I'm coming to call !

Re: Not surprising

Should have recorded the call trying to cancel service like that tech guy did with comcast a few weeks ago and made headline news all over the place. Windstream doesn't care what they look like if they're the only ones seeing it along with their customers because they know most of their customers are with them without any other options. Maybe putting them on full blast to countless media outlets and the internet they'll at least seem like they care a little.

Re: Not surprising

Tried that too. As I told the 8th caller that I was going to record the call, and her response, she hung up. Fortunately, I have the e-mail addresses of Jeffery Gardner and some of his key minions and they will be getting some attention from me in the next few days. I bear no malice to those in "customer service" (if you can call it that) because they're only a reflection of what management wants done...which isn't much more than lip service.

Review by Kgonzales See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "NOTHING!!!"
Bad "Every single one you can ever think about internet"
Overall "Don't ever get Windstream (Charlotte, NC)"

I don’t ever write reviews because it feels like a waste of time, so this is the first time I am writing one, ever! With all the bad experience we have gotten within less than 12 hours of having windstream, I feel like I am oblige to let people know about this bad experience we had. When placing the order they said they would give us a call the day before the installation to tell us a more specific time of when the technician would arrive. They never called. I had to call the next morning and the best they could do was to give me a 5 hour window. The technician took 3 hours to get it hooked up, although, he was very apologetic. The internet speed never reached the 24mbps we were suppose to have. At most it reached 16mb. The next 4-5 hours the internet went out at least 3 times and we had to power cycle completely. The internet speeds would vary sometimes showing 1 mbps, 3mbps, 8mbps. 14mbps, or 16mbps. It was never constant. The technical support was very difficult to get a hold of. They were unable to fix our issues and re-routed me 3 or 4 times just to end up at the same department I called in the first place. The online tel #s stopped working at 7pm and we had to find another one by talking with their online chat support. Also, the numbers online for customer service and tech support are not the same ones we were able to reach them with (had to get it from chatting when I asked if they can call me just incase the chat drops due to poor internet connection). When talking to their machine it kept asking for our account number or telephone number associated with the order. We were never given an account number and the telephone number we were given was said to have no records connected to it. It was very difficult just to speak to a human after searching for a number to actually call that would work. The internet at one point had to make us “sign in” to windstream before we could use any page and it asked us for a password that we were never given or even set up. We had to call customer support again just for that. My wife was never put as an authorized user when I already asked for her to be an authorized user the day I placed the order. When I was talking to them today to get her authorized, they told me to call back again tomorrow for her to be added. We weren’t given an account number for our reference because they said the account is new (we were able to get account # from TWC as soon as my wife finished her order via phone). Also, we have 2 devices that are connected via Ethernet and all the rests are wifi, but they are all having the same issues (slow, dropping internet connections). After several calls made to tech support, they decided that the best way to go is just to send a “LEVEL 2” technician (no idea what that means) to check on our device and see the real problem. To make things worse, the technician can’t come in as soon as the next day so they told us to wait 2 more days (we ordered the connection on Monday, didn’t get it till Wednesday around 5 pm. Internet connection keeps dropping after 15 minutes the installation guy left, had to call several times, and wait till Friday to get someone to check it). We are so annoyed, stressed, and disappointed overall. We are calling them tomorrow to cancel our service that we didn’t even have for 24 hours. No more tech support or technician. We hate windstream!

Comments:

Review by luckydriver See Profile

• Location: Reading,Berks,PA
Good "cheap phone service"
Bad "DSL is incredibly unreliable!"
Overall "if you have another option and dont take it, you are the fool"

I had conestoga phone which was taken over by D/E then windstream.1.5 DSL and 2 phone lines. i never had so many problems as with windstream over the years. static in the lines even after multiple calls. then the final straw was in the last month i had 3 weeks of unusable and unstable internet. what stinks even more is i found out sometimes the techs on the phone did not even log my call or write in any notes. i doubt even walmart has this bad of service. i'm fortunate to have a local cableco and have been loving the speed and reliablity. i was told someone would call me back in a day, they never did except one time. i have sheets of paper with times and dates of calls and who i talked to. i got nowhere with anyone. one day someone told me a line was being replaced, one day a card back in the office. then someone told me that all that was lies and everything was ok and i just needed a new modem. so did the other people lie about coming out to even fix things? ill never know. i dont trust a word they say

i was stupid for not going to cable sooner. dont be stupid. switch now!

member for 7.8 years, 197 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

nsrr

@67.214.21.x

Same crap year after year (also in Berks County

By any chance did you get Service Electric? Been trying to get them here in Dryville (Rockland Township).

Windstream has been nothing but problems. 3M/768k plan gets you: frequent outages and speed plummets throughout the day. If it rains, you can pretty much forget about using the internet. C'mon Service Electric, extend your lines!
luckydriver

join:2006-12-29
Reading, PA

Re: Same crap year after year (also in Berks County

for 3 weeks i have zero issues with S/E and will likely switch to phone very soon