Windstream page on DSLReports

• Location: United State
  • Telco party WCV Telecom
Good "NOTHING"
Bad "EVERYTHING"
Overall "DO NOT PURCHASE WINDSTREAM SERVICE"

I have been a Windstream customer for many years; and throughout the years, the service has been TERRIBLE.

From packet loss to inconsistent speeds and latency issues, Windstream can never get it right. Nothing would make me happier than if I could get my internet fixed or replaced, but that's not going to happen (as I live in a rural area). I am just hopeful that when Windstream fails, they will be bought out by a company that actually wants to satisfy their customers - but until then, I can only make one recommendation: if you have options other than Windstream...USE THEM.

member for 20 days, 11 visits, last login: a few hours ago
lodged a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Mcoupe01 See Profile

• Location: Campobello,Spartanburg,SC
Good "Only alternative is Hughes Satelite"
Bad "slow download speeds"
Overall "They are a monopoly in the SC upstate rural areas where they provide service"

Have to bundle phone, Dish Network and internet for best pricing. Getting though the layers of Customer Service is painful at best.
Download speed on the Sagem Fast 1704N reads 14mbs and 1.7mbs upload.
Router download hardwired is 7 average on OOKLA
Router Wireless is 3mbs to 5mbs average on OOKLA (5mbs is standing within a few feet of the router)
Added and Amped wireless AP. Signal strength is obviously better but not download speeds.

member for 24 days, 2 visits, last login: a few hours ago
lodged a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jbarber See Profile

• Location: Commerce,Banks,GA
Good "I'll let you know when I find something good."
Bad "Connection drops, high latency, packet loss, horrible customer support, expensive."
Overall "You'd be better off with satilite, don't use Windstream."

When I first moved to Georgia, Windstream was our only choice. We started with a 6Mb package, and it worked pretty well for the longest time. Around two years later they dropped us down to a 3Mb connection. Once they dropped us down, our connection was absolutely horrible. We're talking 10%-75% packet loss in the middle of the day, high ping times ranging from 100ms-800ms. It's been this way for many years, and we're still paying $75 for something we can barely use. We've used their modems, bought our own, and still no luck. The real problem is their failing to upgrade their equipment as they grow. I was recently told that my DSLAM is oversubscribed by 158.3% .... And they won't do anything about it.

After many phone calls, complaints, we finally had a few techs sent out. Their performance was poor as well. I requested a phone call before they arrived, never got one. They never stuck a note on the door either, or even rang the doorbell, but they had the audacity to say they came out, and we weren't home (Which we were), and that there were no problems. Even when they found the problems and reported them, they still haven't been fixed over the course of 3 years!

When it works it's alright, it's expensive, but when you have no other choice, that's what you're stuck with. I wouldn't ever recommend them to anyone, ever.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:

Ana

@windstream.net

Internet very slow and poor.

We tried windstream. I don't recommend it. Internet always slow very poor.

Review by Maar See Profile

• Location: Story,Montgomery,AR
Good "Got DSL in 2006 worked fine for 4 years till it was oversubscribed in 2010"
Bad "Remote has been oversubscribed for 5 years with no plans to upgrade "
Overall "I would not recommend Windstream to anyone."

I have had Windstream DSL since October of 2006. Had pretty much trouble free service for 4 years until they oversold the remote in 2010. Was told in December 2010 that they were planning to construct new fiber feeds to the remote to alleviate the congestion. They told me it would take until Sept. 9th of 2011 to complete. So I waited all summer and followed up with them on a couple of occasions and was assured each time that the repair was on schedule.

My last update from them was on August 3rd when I spoke to the woman in their complaint department that had contacted me in regards to my FCC complaint. She told me that she had followed up with engineering the end of July and everything was going as planned. Then on August 29th I am told that absolutely NOTHING had been done all summer and it will be sometime next year before any repairs are scheduled.

Windstream flat out lied for 10 months regarding fixing this remote. They still have no plans to fix the remote, yet are continuing to sell more DSL accounts off of it. Seems fraudulent to continue to sell new DSL accounts on a remote that Windstream has acknowledged to be oversubscribed for over 10 months. I would not recommend anyone to this company after my experience during the last year.

*Update 2/19/2015 Nothing has changed. Windstream is still selling accounts off this ancient oversubscribed remote.

See this link for full history of how bad Windstream is. »DSL Speed Issues

member for 5.9 years, 1101 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Gramps

Sales Rip-Off

From the beginning, I had a 1.5mb DSL connection on a dedicated line. Then for the last few months Windstream's Sales group had been bugging me to increase my speed, through a "Special Offer" they would double my speed for $5 less per month (Current monthly bill would drop from $61 per month down to $56), so my response was OK, let's do it! ... I received my new bill today, and it was $93.00. And after an hour or so on the phone to Customer Service, they have agreed to put everything back the way it was, and reinstate my $61 monthly rate .. but I will still have to pay the $93! ... If next months bill is not back to where it should be, I will be saying goodbye to Windstream in favor of my local cable company!
kirinian

join:2012-06-03
Moultrie, GA

Re: Sales Rip-Off

»www.speedtest.net/result/2047740 ··· 0920.png my 6 meg connection at 9:45 pm in georgia

anonymous1

Windstream sucks

i have had windstream for 14 yrs. and i have 2 dsl lines and both on 3 mbps. i am gtting about half that. one line is on a wired connection and it always drops, with only one device connected to it.

i am paying over a 100$ for both lines. and call after call about the connection drop still nothing.

This is the only company that i know of that supports services where i live.

Windstream Sucks and i do not recommend them to anyone
Raymcc
join:2005-10-08
Atlanta, GA

Same story as Jazzie13

" if you live in a rural area it is not cost effective for them to upgrade the equipment. He then says oh that's what you get for living outside of society or something like that with a LOL!" they basically told me this to my face as the tech who really tired to help and came to the house twice, said he could see my service sucked and it was their fault and he'd told corporate and that was basically what they told him back.

My 6mb connection noon GA, a joke

»www.speedtest.net/result/2443067 ··· 7167.png

·Vonage

Hughesnet

Did a search of your area and looks like your SOL for options on different providers.. Couldn't even find a decent cell tower near you for interent access. Looks like your only other option is »www.hughesnet.com/

Not cheap but sounds better that what you got now. They have daily restrictions on how much you can download during the day, but at night they don't count how much you download. Need to read the details.

Stay away from WildBlue satellite service..
frog

join:2015-02-26
Sylvester, GA

what the "h", windstream?

my sister and brother in law have windstream for landline and internet service. they are paying an astronomical amount for their internet and have no other option due to windstream monopolizing their area. due to weather hazards they had to have their modem replaced 2 years or more ago. they are still PAYING for that replaced modem after 2 years or more. mind you, the previous modem's demise was NOT any fault of theirs. now(february 26, 2015, thursday)i've learned they have NO internet due to weather conditions and doesn't appear to have internet in the future of which they are paying for, astronomically, and most likely, won't until sometime saturday evening(february 28, 2015), according to the windstream tech my sister spoke to, today(february 26, 2015). my husband and i are with another entity and have not had the issues my sister's family have experienced. there is something wrong, windstream and were i giving you those big bucks, you would NOT be "handling" me. you, windstream, need to contact the people who are keeping you in business and HELP THEM!!!!

Review by Tplord18 See Profile

• Location: Wallingford,Fleming,KY

Been with Windstream for 2 years now since January of 2013. Nothing but latent network, inconsistent speeds, false advertising, and no future help. They promise latency fixes soon this year, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm stuck with these guys unless I move to an area "with competition." I'd love cable internet, but rural areas like mine in Kentucky get forgotten and lost in the age of copper dsl. Don't get Windstream. I'm just praying they improve my service soon, my online job and education kind of swings in the balance:/

member for 1.5 years, 314 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
sparky007

Time Warner

Looks like Time Warner is about 6 miles down the road from you in Flemingsburg.. I'm surprised that they don't service your area.

There is also satellite...

Re: Time Warner

Lol, I'm not going satellite, and yes TWC isn't far away:/ they haven't ran cable up here yet;(

Wallingford, KY
I'm just waiting on Windstream to fix and give me my money equivalent for what I'm paying for. 0.5 download and 0.2 up isn't internet.
IanLee

join:2014-11-24
Woodland, WA

said by Tplord18:

During the 2015 Superbowl, I have seen my ping rates go to 600-700 ms and download speeds go to 25kbps. For the past year my DSL service has actually been SLOWER than the old 42-45 kbps dial-up connection I had for over a decade, because I am still rural.

I live in Washington State and my situation is no different than yours is in Kentucky. I've given up on doing anything Netflix related and just buy DVDs/Blu-ray for movie watching. Given up on gaming as well. Sometimes basic e-mail will struggle to load.

This is what happens when you got old farts stuck in the 80s/90s running ISP companies. It turns out my ISP (TDS Telecom) has 'overloaded' their networks without making any changes to infrastructure. I even struggled paying the bills last Sunday because the internet was simply stuck loading.

Your best option is simply to move out of the rural area and into a place where there's "competition". I live with people who are too old to care about internet and as far as they're concerned they still live in the era of 25k dial-up.

Best of luck to you.

Re: Time Warner

You're exactly right. I literally cannot do anything online with Windstream. It's either move away or Kms to be honest.

Review by UberFAILZ See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Good online/phone support, cause that's whats most needed from an ISP."
Bad "The speed, my god, THE SPEED."
Overall "STAY AWAY FROM THIS SERVICE."

Due to where we live, we have had dial-up for most of our computing lives. It wasn't till 2006 when we finally became eligible for dsl (3mb), and at that time, it was awesome. Fast forward to 2015, and it is so unreliable and SLOW. From what we were told from a tech, Windstream has overserviced their networks which is causing the speed to drop dramatically, and whats worse, it being completely off the wall at certain times of the day. During the morning, its a garauntee that you will have a 3mb connection, but once it hits 5pm, OH GOD, it drags and is just dreadful if you need to do anything at that time. Whats really odd though, on some days after 5pm, SOMETIMES, GOD WILLING, you MIGHT attain a 3mb connection, and I have NO CLUE as to what causes it. We've complained and complained AND COMPLAINED for what seems like ages now, about how TERRIBLE this service is and just recently, our phone lines have been cutting out for day long periods for absolutely no damn reason. Honestly, if this is the only option you have as far as an ISP, I would BEG you to reconsider, because you will NOT get what you pay for. I will report them to the FTC, BBB, and start raising some hell because I know I'm not the only one that's suffering with these crooks.

Comments:
Aaronb

join:2012-07-26
Santa Cruz, NM

mine has gotten so bad that the average connection up time is about 100 seconds

Review by kahfess See Profile

• Location: Colbert,Madison,GA
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Unrealiable serivce, slow speeds when it is "working", "
Overall "If we had a choice, I wouldn't still be with them. Crashes daily."

I bundled my phone and DSL together with unlimited long distance.

I've been on windstream for years, because it's the only show in town. When I first started with them the service was slow, but at least it was dependable. Starting about a year ago the service started to decay and about six months ago it became normal for it to crash or else have just enough to keep your modem light from turning red. When I could do a speed test we have actually tested out as little as 0.10 for download speed. If it's not hovering somewhere under 1.00 Mbps then it's spiking between 3.06 and crashing. This goes on day in and day out and when I ask all I get is told that the lines are over subscribed.

As soon as anything else becomes available I'm switching, being slow is one thing, but crashing all the time just doesn't work.

member for 37 days, 28 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
sparky007

Charter Cable

Looks like you might have Charter cable and high speed internet in your area.

www.charter.com
kahfess

join:2015-01-24
Colbert, GA

Re: Charter Cable

Thanks. They haven't run anything down our road, but they are within a few miles of us. I have contacted them, and they even called me back, so we shall see if anything comes of it.
AZinOH

join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH

Re: Charter Cable

Just out of curiosity, what make/model modem are you using and how old is it? Have you ever asked for a replacement? I used to have problems similar to yours with the Speedstream 4200 & 4300 modems. They were unreliable and prone to overheating. I've had fewer difficulties since getting a Sagem 1704N.

Review by mark40511 See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "Consistent *most* of the time and no caps"
Bad "Some weird laggy moments"
Overall "Good if you live in Lexington because of competition with Time Warner"

·Windstream
I have been with DSL since 2004 in Lexington KY. It was Alltel, then became Windstream. I've had 3 mb, 6mb, 12mb, and now 24 mb service. My 24/2 service is bonded. When upgrading to the 24/2 , a tech was sent out. The first tech wasn't very good at all. He ended up cutting the line which made my connection speed slower and intermittent......A new tech came out and he was MUCH better. He found the cut after a bit of searching and repaired it. Over the past 5 months or so of having 24/2, my connection has been mosty great with some bumps along the way, but those were fixed quickly. No matter what time of day, I get 24/2 on speedtests, but once in a while (especially recently) there are these weird LAGGY periods where everything seem to come to a halt, but it doesn't last very long and it's back to normal. I have to wonder if it's because of the work they are doing on widening a road outside my subdivision. Who knows? Even still, I think it's pretty consistent. I just wish that if Windstream is doing some type of work in our area that could cause these lag periods, at least let us know with a recording on the phone when we call tech support, because tech support doesn't always know what's going on locally at the CO...

There was a time after a few months that I had an issue of slower than normal speeds. I logged into the Comtrend and noticed one of the lines had lower than usual #'s. The same great tech came out and said he ran a new line, that would later be buried. Finally 2 or 3 weeks later, the company came to bury the line, and they didn't hook it up at the pedestal correctly! Luckily, I had the tech's # and called him. He came out and fixed it and he said he has never seen such a mess in his life that the contractor's who buried the cable left. He said he was sorry and cleaned it up.....

At any rate, all is relatively well now.

Will update if anything changes.

member for 10.3 years, 603 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Shannon A Sa

Internet service

I hate windstream , iam canceling all my windstream services wifi never works 80%
Of the time

Review by joninatl See Profile

• Location: 30680-8358
Bad "Continual Dropped Connections"
Overall "Get 2 cans and a string"

I work from home. I'm in the CIO's office for a MAJOR international computer company.

I spend my days connected to the company's VPN accessing remote servers, internal VOIP calls and meetings.

Two weeks ago I started having problems with dropped DSL connections, requiring me to re-boot the modem each time. Of course this knocks me off the VPN and any internal services I'm connected to.

According to Windstream's own numbers, my DSL has dropped over 40 times in the past two weeks.

They sent a tech to my home who reported the problem was not here, but on their end and opened an internal ticket.

That was a week ago.

The problem continues and call after call, posts to the 'direct support' forum here, and an "escalation to level 2" support has resulted in ZERO replies other than "there is no estimate for resolution" and "we'll let you know".

As I sit here looking at my bill, I wonder, should I just send it in saying "There is no estimate for when my payment will be sent"? Since that seems to be an acceptable answer for them to give... it should be more than adequate for them to receive.

Comments:

Review by harphauler See Profile

• Location: Union,Cass,NE
Good "A basically solid connection"
Bad "Speed is horrible. Unusable for anything except email, basic web browsing."
Overall "I have few choices at the "unlimited download/upload" level - as soon as a new provider shows up - I will switch."

As this is a rural area and Windstream being the only game in town our situation is basically hopeless. The only good thing I can say is that we rarely have a dropped connection in the four plus years we've had Windstream. Although Windstream advertises a 10x1 connection in the area, no one that I know of seldom achieves more than 1 meg down on a good day. We have a 3x.7 connection and most of the time get .05 - .3 meg down (yes that's point zero five!) and .2 - .5 meg up. More often than not we have a faster upload speed than down and that's during low use periods, say 5 AM. I often connect via my cell phone just to do online banking. We would love to join the rest of the world with a decent broadband connection that isn't capped. At $64/month we feel the price is too high for the speed we receive vs. what we're paying for since it's hardly better than dial-up.

Comments:

UnhappyPappy

@71.31.48.x

Windstream Dialup Subscription Service

That's right! You can have blazing fast internet speeds so long as you're not a Windstream customer. With Windstream you'll pay for DSL and get dial up speeds. I kid you not.

You know, I realize that every company out there embellishes their performance data. That is a given. But, as of this date, I have found no worse liar than Windstream. Even the service guys hate them. They take so much crap from customers these days they don't hesitate to throw Windstream under the bus.

The most recent problem was a local router that was serving our end of the county. They overloaded the system with more customers than the router could handle. People complained. We hear you Windstream said, we'll fix it. It took over a year to get the router replaced (with a used piece of sh_t from Arkansas). With much fanfare they rolled it out then ran like hell. Within one week the "new" router was in the same shape as the old one.

I would tell anyone to avoid Windstream like the plague they are. Their CEO will eventually destroy the company and, in a telling move that is as providential as it is suspicious, recently stepped down to allow a ninth inning pitcher onto the mound for the loss. Ex CEO Gardner knows damned well what he's done and doesn't intend to hang around to take the heat when things head south. With all their acquisitions of late it won't be long before the "winners curse" steps in and knocks Windstream down to size. If history is any indicator once one of these acquisitions crap out, like they always do, the unraveling process will begin and that will be the end of Windstream. I would add that it cannot happen soon enough or to a more worthy ISP.

Windstream's story is the same old worn out ditty where an all smiles CEO concerns himself with nothing but share price. That's how he gets his bonuses. But, in the process of doing all the things he needs to do to elevate the share price he must ignore the underlying core business and focus on nothing but boosting share price and (I gag at this) value. It all looks pretty for awhile then one of the acquisitions that lied through their teeth to find someone willing to buy their dog suddenly falls under its own weight (never believe a company's financial statements).

Personally, I can't wait. I'm a stock trader who desperately needs a reliable high speed internet connection which, in all the time I've been with Windstream, they've never been able to provide. I intend to wait patiently, bide my time and when it hits the fan I'm going to short their stock down into Pink Sheet land. You poor saps who've invested in this dog better take a good look and be ready to divest yourselves in a moments notice. When it goes pop it'll all be over in about a week minus the crying. The crying starts once the bloodletting stops and all those folks who bought WIN as a long term investment realize that they now are holding a bag of stock they bought at $8 bucks that is now trading in the 50 cents a share range. Don't take my word for it. Look at what these clowns have done for the sake of stock holders at the expense of their customers.

Once in a while this works out but it won't this time and Gardner knows it that's why he's bailing out now. Windstream needing a new "fresh perspective" to lead it into the future is pure hot air. His heir apparent is another Windstream insider, Tony Thomas, former CFO of Windstream- so much for fresh perspective. 2015 looks to be the year of the long overdue stock market correction. A great time to cash in your stock options and head for the beach. I hope Thomas has nerves of steel. By the end of 2015 he'll need them.
jerminy11

join:2011-12-27
Texarkana, AR

Re: Windstream Dialup Subscription Service

Sucks for both of you. Windstream has upgraded my area 3 times in the last 5 years. I have the 24 down and 3 up service and I get 26 down and 3.5 up at all times

UnhappyPappy

@71.28.236.x

Re: Windstream Dialup Subscription Service

I would guess that you live in or near a town. Am I right? You see, they play the 80/20 game. If they can keep 80% of their customers happy, screw the other 20% (I actually believe it's closer to 60/40). Upgrades around small cites and towns are cheaper to do and keep the 80% very happy. The 20% are held as a captive income stream because they monopolize the markets they go into as a rule. They service my county and everyone who uses the service in the nearest large town enjoys great service. But there they have at least three other competitors in the high speed market so rates are cheap because the infrastructure has been maintained by Comcast,a small local telecom, Dish- a bunch of competitors really. Out where I live they got a no bid contract to service the rural areas. Absolutely zilch in the way of improvements or upgrades.

They're a horrible company with horrible leadership and they screw the daylights out of those least able to fight back. The crap they're doing works for a little while but in the end it always catches up. Mark my words, this chump CEO who just stepped down knows what's coming and he doesn't intend to be standing at the helm when all hell breaks loose.

Re: Windstream Dialup Subscription Service

I was told for a year here in Blairsville Ga my area was going to be upgraded then was told sorry your area will not be upgraded and their is no more Stimulus Money.
.5 up three down max.

Blairsville, GA
Forgot to mention now my Google searches are being Hijacked and redirected through Windstream search!

mark40511

join:2004-10-12
Lexington, KY

I have 24/2 Bonded DSL in Lexington KY

and I have GREAT speeds all the time.....But I believe every word you're saying and I'm very sorry that you have no other options. I think in KY they have something called KY broadband initiative in the works - meaning they are running fiber "starting" in rural areas with cities being last (since cities already have decent broadband), and the goal is to ultimately have all of KY with fiber - at least, that's my understanding......It's desperately needed for each state's economy. Hopefully each state has something like this in the works.... These monopolies our killing our internet in this country, and the rural area's have it the worst.....

I still wonder - even small towns have powerful people and I often wonder to myself what they do for internet? Government officials , etc. They get online too. Windstream is all that's available to them as well.

Re: I have 24/2 Bonded DSL in Lexington KY

Government officials usually get special treatment!!