Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by badd See Profile

• Location: De Queen,Sevier,AR
Good "Up Time is Fantastic"
Bad "Once again cs reps are dumber than dirt. Where did they dig up this latest batch."
Overall "Very well satisfied overall"
(ratings well above consensus)

Windstream in De Queen now has top tier of 12000/756. Service is outstanding 99% up time and speeds are really good. Upload speed changed to 756 Have had them since 2002 and have only been down 5 times. Four of them due to some idiot cutting the fiber optics cable. Other option is Cable and it sucks on price and service.

CS Reps were fine when Windstream first took over from Alltel then they Outsorced it and went to hell moved it back to USA and once again it was fine

Now it has gone to pot again. They are dumber than dirt........ Up date 9/13/2014 Still going strong here mo problems with speed or up time. Only two problems in past year and that was from some idiot cutting fiber optic cable both times. Back up same day both times.

member for 12.9 years, 4056 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Comcastfan

@swbell.net

bait and switch

This company is a total fraud, I received printed flyers in the mail, talked to the service reps before switching from Comcast to Windstream. I was promised high speed internet for 29.99. I got my bill and it was over $110 plus $25 per month for the modem (which didn't work). They think high speed is 3mb download speed. They gave me 12MB after promising 24mb speed and charged me an additional $5. Their surcharges and other fees are outrageous. I was paying $53 a month for 50mb from Comcast. I have had this service for 2 days and am trying to cancel now. They told me they won't take back the modem and tons of other b.s. DO NOT USE THEM UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE UNLESS YOU ENJOY GETTING RIPPED OFF.

Insane

@76.179.226.x

DSL

Why is DSL always capped at usually 768Kbps? Yours is 756Kbps which is slightly weird. It should be 1Mbps upload and they should utilize Annex M so you can get 3.5Mbps up.

Review by IH8Sn0wFal See Profile

• Location: Broken Arrow,Tulsa,OK
Good "Unlimited COnnection, no restrictions, servers allowed"
Bad "SLOWWW, cuts out ALOT of the time. barely works during peak hours"
Overall "For anyone that ants to use the internet, your better off Getting another ISP/Cell phone"

Windstream is our only choice when we moved to a new house, the highest ackage we could get was a 3MB package, order and install took awhile, we used our OWN router and modem, since theirs is horrible..
UPDATE: 2-1-13: we have been upgraded to 6mbps, getting around 3-4 with 90ms ping.. still dropping every few hours..

UPDATE 12-30-13: we have been using our 6mbps package, and recently upgraded our router to an Asus router, now we are getting around a 45ms ping with an average of 4. download, and only about 1-3 drops a day, has gotten much better

UPDATE 9-9-14: After alot of complaining and trying all the options we have, have gotten upgraded to 12mbps bonded DSL, which peaks at around 10mbps, still has drops but is much better

- Jack

member for 2.5 years, 260 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
tonyNM

join:2014-01-05
Espanola, NM

Monopoly by windstream in rural areas

Congratulations, you must be in an area where windstream has competition
GPmax1

join:2014-01-19

Re: Monopoly by windstream in rural areas

Windstream has a monopoly in my area too.

Review by linuxtom See Profile

• Location: Ashland,Boyd,KY
Good "Tier II support has tried to help"
Bad "Everything else"
Overall "Windstream Sucks!"

Years and years of sheer disgust with Windstream. Nothing but outage after outage after outage after outage. Speeds on my bonded 12mps line consistently below provisioned rate. If I had any other viable option at this point I'd switch to another provider today.

Comments:
totalradio

join:2007-09-15
·Suddenlink

Not surprising

I recently (within the last couple of hours) had a "Comcast" moment with Windstream. For the past 2 weeks, my internet has gone down in the early evening for an extended period of time. Tonight, I've had enough, so I called to disconnect my DSL. Had to call 8 TIMES, having to navigate the useless phone tree and being disconnected several times. On the 7th time, I finally got a live, breathing person (at least I think they were breathing), so I asked why this is happening, and of course, got the usual response "we see there is a problem in your area". NO JOKE ! I ALREADY KNOW THAT ! So they were going to bump me up to Tier 2 support (I have a static IP), but for whatever reason, I got disconnected again (surprise, surprise). So, this time I call (the 8th time) and was going to disconnect my DSL service. A woman (very unfriendly) named "Nicole" (if that's her real name), began the conversation with the usual song & dance and told me "we see a problem in your area". DUH ! So I told her I wanted to disconnect, which she REFUSED and hung up on me also.

So tomorrow, I will be calling Windstream to de-excommunicate the hell out of that company's DSL. There is NO reason that I had to go through all of that, just to be hung up on TWICE and still no way to do what I wanted to do, until tomorrow. In my town, we do have a choice for internet, so I'll be calling them as soon as I kick Windstream to the curb. With what you spend on DSL, you'd think it would be more reliable than it is.

Sorry Windstream, you've lost a customer because of your incompetence and sheer bone-headedness, not to mention the attitude of your "customer service" folks.

Look out Media 3, I'm coming to call !
kpatt2006

join:2012-08-14
Greensburg, KY

Re: Not surprising

Should have recorded the call trying to cancel service like that tech guy did with comcast a few weeks ago and made headline news all over the place. Windstream doesn't care what they look like if they're the only ones seeing it along with their customers because they know most of their customers are with them without any other options. Maybe putting them on full blast to countless media outlets and the internet they'll at least seem like they care a little.
totalradio

join:2007-09-15
·Suddenlink

Re: Not surprising

Tried that too. As I told the 8th caller that I was going to record the call, and her response, she hung up. Fortunately, I have the e-mail addresses of Jeffery Gardner and some of his key minions and they will be getting some attention from me in the next few days. I bear no malice to those in "customer service" (if you can call it that) because they're only a reflection of what management wants done...which isn't much more than lip service.

Review by Kgonzales See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "NOTHING!!!"
Bad "Every single one you can ever think about internet"
Overall "Don't ever get Windstream (Charlotte, NC)"

I don’t ever write reviews because it feels like a waste of time, so this is the first time I am writing one, ever! With all the bad experience we have gotten within less than 12 hours of having windstream, I feel like I am oblige to let people know about this bad experience we had. When placing the order they said they would give us a call the day before the installation to tell us a more specific time of when the technician would arrive. They never called. I had to call the next morning and the best they could do was to give me a 5 hour window. The technician took 3 hours to get it hooked up, although, he was very apologetic. The internet speed never reached the 24mbps we were suppose to have. At most it reached 16mb. The next 4-5 hours the internet went out at least 3 times and we had to power cycle completely. The internet speeds would vary sometimes showing 1 mbps, 3mbps, 8mbps. 14mbps, or 16mbps. It was never constant. The technical support was very difficult to get a hold of. They were unable to fix our issues and re-routed me 3 or 4 times just to end up at the same department I called in the first place. The online tel #s stopped working at 7pm and we had to find another one by talking with their online chat support. Also, the numbers online for customer service and tech support are not the same ones we were able to reach them with (had to get it from chatting when I asked if they can call me just incase the chat drops due to poor internet connection). When talking to their machine it kept asking for our account number or telephone number associated with the order. We were never given an account number and the telephone number we were given was said to have no records connected to it. It was very difficult just to speak to a human after searching for a number to actually call that would work. The internet at one point had to make us “sign in” to windstream before we could use any page and it asked us for a password that we were never given or even set up. We had to call customer support again just for that. My wife was never put as an authorized user when I already asked for her to be an authorized user the day I placed the order. When I was talking to them today to get her authorized, they told me to call back again tomorrow for her to be added. We weren’t given an account number for our reference because they said the account is new (we were able to get account # from TWC as soon as my wife finished her order via phone). Also, we have 2 devices that are connected via Ethernet and all the rests are wifi, but they are all having the same issues (slow, dropping internet connections). After several calls made to tech support, they decided that the best way to go is just to send a “LEVEL 2” technician (no idea what that means) to check on our device and see the real problem. To make things worse, the technician can’t come in as soon as the next day so they told us to wait 2 more days (we ordered the connection on Monday, didn’t get it till Wednesday around 5 pm. Internet connection keeps dropping after 15 minutes the installation guy left, had to call several times, and wait till Friday to get someone to check it). We are so annoyed, stressed, and disappointed overall. We are calling them tomorrow to cancel our service that we didn’t even have for 24 hours. No more tech support or technician. We hate windstream!

Comments:

Review by luckydriver See Profile

• Location: Reading,Berks,PA
Good "cheap phone service"
Bad "DSL is incredibly unreliable!"
Overall "if you have another option and dont take it, you are the fool"

I had conestoga phone which was taken over by D/E then windstream.1.5 DSL and 2 phone lines. i never had so many problems as with windstream over the years. static in the lines even after multiple calls. then the final straw was in the last month i had 3 weeks of unusable and unstable internet. what stinks even more is i found out sometimes the techs on the phone did not even log my call or write in any notes. i doubt even walmart has this bad of service. i'm fortunate to have a local cableco and have been loving the speed and reliablity. i was told someone would call me back in a day, they never did except one time. i have sheets of paper with times and dates of calls and who i talked to. i got nowhere with anyone. one day someone told me a line was being replaced, one day a card back in the office. then someone told me that all that was lies and everything was ok and i just needed a new modem. so did the other people lie about coming out to even fix things? ill never know. i dont trust a word they say

i was stupid for not going to cable sooner. dont be stupid. switch now!

Comments:

nsrr

@67.214.21.x

Same crap year after year (also in Berks County

By any chance did you get Service Electric? Been trying to get them here in Dryville (Rockland Township).

Windstream has been nothing but problems. 3M/768k plan gets you: frequent outages and speed plummets throughout the day. If it rains, you can pretty much forget about using the internet. C'mon Service Electric, extend your lines!
luckydriver

join:2006-12-29
Reading, PA

Re: Same crap year after year (also in Berks County

for 3 weeks i have zero issues with S/E and will likely switch to phone very soon

Review by rnd523 See Profile

• Location: North Branch,Chisago,MN
Good "none"
Bad "does not deliver stated services"
Overall "just going to have to deal with it"

Upgraded from CenturyLink max speed of 1.5up to Windstream Max of 6up/1down. Windstream wasn't bad initially (escept for the crappy Sagemcom router dropping the connection a lot), but now we experience daily service degradation (probably due to too many people on this end-of-the-line node). Standard for us to drop to under 2 every night. Called many times to complain, get the usual "it's a latency outage" excuse, and they even tell me it will be better by morning because the techs are working on it. This has been ongoing for many many months. From what I can see online this is Windstreams standard practice, and they love to do it to those of us who have no choice but to live with it.

Comments:

LTDUNN86

@206.135.75.x

Confusion

You stated your getting 6MB up and 1MB down. ( scratches head ) weird that your upload is faster then your download. Perhaps this is a misprint on your end? If not then windstream is the first company ever to do that.
rnd523

join:2014-07-27
North Branch, MN

Re: Confusion

yes, that is an error. 6 down, 1 up is what it should read. And while I am correcting errors, it should read 'except', not escept. While I am at it: just tested my speed: currently sitting at 1.27 down, .21 up.
kpatt2006

join:2012-08-14
Greensburg, KY

Re: Confusion

that is exactly Windstream's normal practice of business. I've been dealing with the "latency outage" since November 2011 when they first admitted to overselling the area. Just recently they finally stopped selling service to new customers in my area, but it's too late. On a daily basis I get around 0.45mb download speeds. Worse than the old 56k modem days. I can only use my internet between 1am-10am. I've contacted the BBB, FCC, state consumer protection office, and each one of them just forward my complaint letter to Windstream and get the same programmed response about sorry for the inconvenience. They tell me each year about scheduled upgrades then as it gets closer to happening it magically gets cancelled or delayed.

Review by mdbrozik See Profile

• Location: Fredericktown,Washington,PA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "12MB was something 5 years ago now not so much"
Bad "no speed increase for 5 years "
Overall "I'm No Longer Happy"

24 Jul 14. Still stuck with 12mb service five years later. Many days it doesn't test over 9mb. Upstream is less than1 mb. Atlantic Broadband has a 75x3 option for $45/month I've been looking at but I'm going to give Windstream one more chance to at least get me to 24mb.

UPDATE: 31 Aug 09. Got Ultimate service in May and am very happy. Connection is rock solid and uptime nears 100% as I use the WS line monitor svs offered in the WS forum here at dslreports and see results in my email each week. Now I want FTTH and 24MB service I see WS offering in some locations

UPDATE: 29 Mar 08 Windstream still only game in town. No upgrade to Ultimate 6M pkg yet. Can't complain; connection is usually rock solid. The speed sometimes fade in the Evenings or Weekends. I get 2.4m up .320m down during off peak periods. During heavy usage periods my up leg will fade to 1.5-1.8m. I would pay more for additional bandwidth and can only dream of fiber to the home.

UPDATE: Alltel sold to Windstream. Speed still OK but not great. Windstream refuses to upgrade to 6M speeds. I can't complain; It has rarely failed to work.

UPDATE: 27 Dec 04. Alltel Still OK Beats Direcway. Some DNS issues and modem power cycles required to fix occaisional slow connection. promo rate wore off now its $49/month. would like more upload speed, the 108 that i'm getting sucks.

I've been a direcway SRS customer for 11 months after using dial-up for 8 years. When Alltel announced DSL in my exchange, I said that I would ride out my d-way contract and make the switch. However, d-way has really been terrible as of late and I decided to jump early.

The initial sales staff couldn't find my address for a pre qual check. Told me to check back in a few days. On the third attempt about 10 days later, I was told that my line would work. The next day I got the speed stream 5200 VIA UPS RedLabel even though my service would not start for five days.

On my live date, all work well. I got a call from the installer at the co. I synch up and all has been well for the last week. Speed is advertised at 768 /128 and I've been averaging 615 /110. Direcway was faster but not consistant. I'd be downloading at 150K and drop to 30K back up to 110K back to 15K. Alltel DSL is a steady 80K download so far. Ping times range about 60-80ms. Service is dynamic IP but mine hasn't changed in a week despite modem resets when I was configuring my router.

Direcway was good at first too so I'm hoping for continuity of service with Alltel. I'll provide updates as I experience issues both good and bad.

Comments:

Review by RuralDemo See Profile

• Location: Sanford,Lee,NC
Good "That they aren't dial-up??"
Bad "Price, speeds, service, business practices, equipment"
Overall "Only choice besides dial-up, otherwise I'd never tolerate them"

The only package available in my neighborhood was 3Mbps download, 768Gbps upload. I was extremely disappointed to find out this was the best they could offer. Even more upset when the true speed turned out to be less than 1Mbps down. The monthly fee they advertise is 59.99 including home phone. After all of the fees they tack on, its over $80 per month for a service that barely works.

They were running a promotion for a free modem if you signed a 2 year contract and then charged us for the modem/router. The store where we'd signed up for service went out and there wasn't another store for 2.5 hours. The staff on the phone and the live chat said we were crazy and we had to pay for the modem/router. And they overcharged for that as well. The thing is a piece of junk that hardly sends a WiFi signal to the other room let alone another part of the house.

They also claimed to have a partnership with DirectTV which is completely false. The DirectTV folks say that the Windstream people are always telling customers that and it has never been true.

In addition to the slow speed, the DNS servers fail on a regular basis meaning your computer isn't able to find something as simple as google or yahoo. I can't use any of the features of my DirectTV like OnDemand and HD Netflix, forget about it.

They recently dug up a bunch of the neighborhood installing new lines that were supposed to improve speed. Didn't improve a thing. And they clearly know it since they aren't advertising any faster speeds in the neighborhood. What a waste.

I loathe this company more than I have ever loathed a technology company in my life. I recommend avoiding this company unless you have no choice like us.

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Free Google DNS Servers

Configure your network settings to use the IP addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers thanks to google.

»developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Review by emprjoe See Profile

• Location: Audubon,Audubon,IA
Good "Stable Connection, Phone Features, Available to rural areas, Support on DSLReports"
Bad "Distance, tough to operate in a rural area"
Overall "Better than Dial Up, Better than Satellite, Good Enough Provider if Cable/Fiber isn't available to you."
(ratings well above consensus)

We don't really have other options for Internet Access, besides dial up. So windstream is our only option other than satellite. While our 1.5 mbps download is much less than that which is offered by satellite, but windstream doesn't limit data usage.

UPDATE: We had previously had issues where we were paying for 3.0 and told 1.5 would be available, however, we never got it. Thankfully, I came into contact with some good people from Tier II on the direct forum, and they looked at issues in our area, and said that our area's lines in general were pretty bad. We got a tech out looking at our line in our house, found a bad jack and worked on the demarc point also. We were finally able to achieve 3.0 service, However, distance was the primary limiter, which is not really windstreams fault. Overall, I am pretty happy with windstream's service, especially their support on these forums.

Comments:
marinegundr

join:2013-06-20
Audubon, IA

Windstream DSL

sSadly I just moved out of town where Mediacom doesn't service. The jacko's at Wind$tream failed to tell me that I can only get 1.5Mbbs top speed. Now after reading this I'm sure I'll be paying for speeds I'll never see.

I hate you windstream.

Review by cavcol See Profile

• Location: 68516-4875
  • Telco party AllTel
Bad "bad 43% half of advertised download, 42% of advertised upload"
Overall "Bad speed"

I have 12 Mbps download and 1.5 Mbps upload.
Received the advertised price. It has been lowered since I upgraded from 6Mbps.
Order and install process was painless.
Received a Sagemcom modem/router Sagem Fast 1704 Windstream. This is built specifically for Windstream.
I appears that the download speed is throttled.
Windstream uses Ookla speed test for their speed testing and it always registers 12 Mbps or greater for upload and about .75 Mbps download.
Using DSLReports speed test I have never exceeded 6 Mbps download. It seems like they never upgraded my service to 12 Mbps.
Replace the proprietary modem/router with a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ modem/router to see if the speed improved as it had been reported that the Sagem 1704 maybe the problem. No improvement in the speed what so ever.
iPad is always getting kicked of the internet. Put the iPad on the 5 Ghz band and no improvement. No one else in the neighborhood has a 5 Ghz band wireless router at this time, so there is not channel overlap.
Tech support is no help as them will not recognize the speed measured by DSLReports. They only accept speed results from Ookla.