Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by RuralDemo See Profile

• Location: Sanford,Lee,NC
Good "That they aren't dial-up??"
Bad "Price, speeds, service, business practices, equipment"
Overall "Only choice besides dial-up, otherwise I'd never tolerate them"

The only package available in my neighborhood was 3Mbps download, 768Gbps upload. I was extremely disappointed to find out this was the best they could offer. Even more upset when the true speed turned out to be less than 1Mbps down. The monthly fee they advertise is 59.99 including home phone. After all of the fees they tack on, its over $80 per month for a service that barely works.

They were running a promotion for a free modem if you signed a 2 year contract and then charged us for the modem/router. The store where we'd signed up for service went out and there wasn't another store for 2.5 hours. The staff on the phone and the live chat said we were crazy and we had to pay for the modem/router. And they overcharged for that as well. The thing is a piece of junk that hardly sends a WiFi signal to the other room let alone another part of the house.

They also claimed to have a partnership with DirectTV which is completely false. The DirectTV folks say that the Windstream people are always telling customers that and it has never been true.

In addition to the slow speed, the DNS servers fail on a regular basis meaning your computer isn't able to find something as simple as google or yahoo. I can't use any of the features of my DirectTV like OnDemand and HD Netflix, forget about it.

They recently dug up a bunch of the neighborhood installing new lines that were supposed to improve speed. Didn't improve a thing. And they clearly know it since they aren't advertising any faster speeds in the neighborhood. What a waste.

I loathe this company more than I have ever loathed a technology company in my life. I recommend avoiding this company unless you have no choice like us.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

Free Google DNS Servers

Configure your network settings to use the IP addresses 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as your DNS servers thanks to google.

»developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Review by emprjoe See Profile

• Location: Audubon,Audubon,IA
Good "Stable Connection, Phone Features, Available to rural areas, Support on DSLReports"
Bad "Distance, tough to operate in a rural area"
Overall "Better than Dial Up, Better than Satellite, Good Enough Provider if Cable/Fiber isn't available to you."
(ratings well above consensus)

We don't really have other options for Internet Access, besides dial up. So windstream is our only option other than satellite. While our 1.5 mbps download is much less than that which is offered by satellite, but windstream doesn't limit data usage.

UPDATE: We had previously had issues where we were paying for 3.0 and told 1.5 would be available, however, we never got it. Thankfully, I came into contact with some good people from Tier II on the direct forum, and they looked at issues in our area, and said that our area's lines in general were pretty bad. We got a tech out looking at our line in our house, found a bad jack and worked on the demarc point also. We were finally able to achieve 3.0 service, However, distance was the primary limiter, which is not really windstreams fault. Overall, I am pretty happy with windstream's service, especially their support on these forums.

member for 3.5 years, 185 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
marinegundr

join:2013-06-20
Audubon, IA

Windstream DSL

sSadly I just moved out of town where Mediacom doesn't service. The jacko's at Wind$tream failed to tell me that I can only get 1.5Mbbs top speed. Now after reading this I'm sure I'll be paying for speeds I'll never see.

I hate you windstream.

Review by cavcol See Profile

• Location: 68516-4875
  • Telco party AllTel
Bad "bad 43% half of advertised download, 42% of advertised upload"
Overall "Bad speed"

I have 12 Mbps download and 1.5 Mbps upload.
Received the advertised price. It has been lowered since I upgraded from 6Mbps.
Order and install process was painless.
Received a Sagemcom modem/router Sagem Fast 1704 Windstream. This is built specifically for Windstream.
I appears that the download speed is throttled.
Windstream uses Ookla speed test for their speed testing and it always registers 12 Mbps or greater for upload and about .75 Mbps download.
Using DSLReports speed test I have never exceeded 6 Mbps download. It seems like they never upgraded my service to 12 Mbps.
Replace the proprietary modem/router with a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit ADSL2+ modem/router to see if the speed improved as it had been reported that the Sagem 1704 maybe the problem. No improvement in the speed what so ever.
iPad is always getting kicked of the internet. Put the iPad on the 5 Ghz band and no improvement. No one else in the neighborhood has a 5 Ghz band wireless router at this time, so there is not channel overlap.
Tech support is no help as them will not recognize the speed measured by DSLReports. They only accept speed results from Ookla.

Comments:

Review by gwm743 See Profile

• Location: Jasper,Pickens,GA
Good "service reliability while not good yet, has improved"
Bad "Dishonest practices regarding price for life plan; unreliable service; expensive for what you get"
Overall "only game in town except for satellite"

I have had Windstream at my mountain cabin for 3 1/2 years. Initially the price was reasonable but the service reliability was horrible. In early to mid 2011 I ordered static IP service from them $20/month for static IP was sort of expensive, but I needed it so I paid. The process of getting the service converted from dynamic IP to static was painfully slow to get provisioned and took multiple phone calls to people that had no clue what they were doing in order to get it completed.

In January 2012 I discontinued the static IP service as I no longer needed it and it was expensive. They informed me it was too much trouble to change my configuration but they would stop charging me for it but not to change my router configuration. I was fine with that. It worked find until 04/21/2014 when they deleted the static IP setup with no notice to me. If they had only emailed me I could have changed my router setup in advance to PPPoE dynamic so that it would have continued working. Since they didn't tell me I lost remote access and was without service for over a month since I was off-site and could not fix the configuration.

Now for my BIG complaint. In late 2013 Windstream called me to inform me that my area had a network upgrade and I now qualified for 12mbs service. They offered to upgrade me to the new speed for only $2 a month and at the same time lock my account on the "price for life" plan so that the rate could never increase. I accepted the offer. I had been paying about $53 a month at that time. The first bill after the upgrade came in at the expected $55 range. By March of 2014 by increasing the surcharges section of the bill they had added about another $1 to bill and I was paying $56/month. Not a big deal, but not a locked price. In May 2014 another $1 showed up and the new total was $57 a month... again, I noticed but did nothing as the increase was still small. In June 2014 the new bill came in and was $64.80. A nearly $10 increase from the "locked" rate I was promised when they "upgraded" my service. The latest increase was mainly by removing an offsetting credit against the federal subscriber line charge (SLC) that I had been receiving.

On June 12, 2014 I called and spoke with a CSR and explained all of the above. The CSR blamed the recent increase on the SLC claiming they had no control over the increase as that is a FCC fee. That is a flat out lie. I have done some research and while the FCC allows telcos to charge the SLC, it is not mandated by the FCC, and in fact telcos are free to absorb the SLC if they so choose. Bottom line is Windstream represented to me that my bill would be locked in with "price for life" and then has used "surcharges and fees" to increase my bill by nearly 20% in just 6 months. I am posting this review here, and also considering a complaint to the FTC

Comments:
gwm743

join:2014-06-14
Jasper, GA

Changes to situation

After doing some research and arming myself with information from the FTC, as well as information from Windstreams own web site, I called back on June 19, 2014 and asked for a supervisor. The CSR that took my call said she had to hear my issues before transferring me to a supervisor, so I gave her the whole story above. She started by giving me the same "company line" as the previous CSR did on 06/12. I made it clear that I was not going to accept that and that I knew the SLC was not required by the FCC and that it was Windstreams choice to start charging (stop issuing the line item credit) me that fee. I also pointed out that their own web site touts "Don't worry about your bill going up" on the price for life page. It makes no mention of the guarantee being only for the service line item. It says your "bill". She then agreed to issue a credit of $6.50 for the current month and then a $10/month credit going forward for the next 12 months. I found her to be quite helpful within the restrictions that her employer places on her. I will have to fight again in 12 months, but at least for now my bill will actually drop back to around what I was paying or maybe even a dollar less than what I was paying when I accepted their "price for life" offer.

Review by micco See Profile

• Location: Helen,White,GA
Good "Nothing good... Not a single redeeming factor..."
Bad "Latency, Bandwidth, Price, Reliability, Resolution of Issues or lack there of,"
Overall "If I had a choice I would choose it.... If you have a choice don't choose Windstream"

After getting caught lying about speeds in Georgia, fees, surcharges and rates have gone UP! My bill has increased 35 percent over last year. The state of Georgia needs to RAIN HARD on this company, stop allowing them to monopolize coverage areas, and allow competition to enter. Free markets will sort this problem out in a heart beat.

The actual service itself. Latency=sucks, options=suck, speed=suck, reliability=suck, customer service=ARE YOU KIDDING ME!
This is why people hate large corporations..

Comments:
micco

·Windstream

Light in the tunnel...Maybe....

Posted in the Windstream Direct section of DRLreports.com. Hopefully we will get somewhere with this. So far today speed and latency are were they are supposed to be but I have only been on for 20 minutes.

Windstream
join:2009-03-31
Twinsburg, OH

micco-
I apologize, we sent you a message a few days ago requesting your home phone number so we could pull up you account. When you get a moment please provide us your home phone number on the secure forum.

Thanks,
Aaron
Specialist II
We're here to help! wci.broadbandhelp@windstream.com

Re: Light in the tunnel...Maybe....

Sent it twice to 2 different people.. still nothing yet.. Smoke signals maybe?

»www.speedtest.net/result/1996288882.png

getting worse not better.....

»www.speedtest.net/result/1996296493.png

one worse.. packets via smoke signals would be FASTER! I need resolution to this problem NOW!

»speedtest.net/result/2000259516.png

Got so slow last night called tech support.. After a few disconnects from tech support I was finally told that there was a open trouble ticket for the area and it would be resolved by 10:30am today.. Here are the results.

»speedtest.net/result/2001136254.png

No steps forward and twenty back...

On the phone again.. I wonder if I am going to have to call every day for the techs to "rebuild" my connection so I have usable internet.

Monday I am contacting the local Public Service Commission and BBB reference the on going problems with Windstream and the complete and total lack of any kind of resolution, answer, or account credit.

Re: Light in the tunnel...Maybe....

Just told a new trouble ticket was opened with a resolution time of Tuesday before noon. How many tickets before the problem is solved?

Here are the results of the "Connection rebuild"...

»www.speedtest.net/result/2001155860.png

·Windstream

Well Aaron, after 1 month and 2 days I have heard ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FROM YOU! I am calling tech support 2 to 3 times a day for them to "rebuild the connection". They tell me that I am experiencing 80 to 100 percent packet loss. I spoke to a tech guy named Joe tonight (6-23) that was actually helpful. He actually admitted that the problem is with WINDSTREAM. He opened a 2nd tier trouble ticket (supposedly) #121373421 with a resolution time of Tuesday 6-26-12 by 7pm. I am not going to hold my breath...

I have requested a tech me sent out, they did NOT listen to what day I asked for him to be schedule on. He showed up a day early than called my cell phone 8 TIMES without leaving so much as a message. I called the next day to schedule another tech to come out and that person DID NOT EVEN SHOW UP! YOU GUYS ARE PATHETIC. YOU HAVE A MONOPOLY IN MY AREA FOR BROADBAND SO I CAN'T EVEN DUMP YOU FOR THE COMPETITION. YOU GET MORE FEDERAL FUNDING FOR RURAL BROADBAND THAN ANY OTHER TELCO IN THE U.S. THOSE ARE MY TAX DOLLARS YOU GUYS ARE WASTING. I AM FILING COMPLAINS WITH MY CONGRESSMAN, PUBLIC SERVICE COMMISSION, THE BBB, AS WELL AS SECRETARY OF STATES OFFICE MONDAY. I AM FED UP WITH THE COMPLETE AND TOTAL LACK OF ANY RESPONSE OR RESOLUTION OF MY PROBLEM.

I want my account credited retroactively, half of my monthly bill for May, April, and the ENTIRE bill for June. I pay for 3mbps and all I get is .2mbps. I would be better off with DIALUP!

»www.speedtest.net/result/2025737095.png

»speedtest.net/result/2025729283.png

»speedtest.net/result/2025722769.png

Helen, GA
Used to get decent speed during the day time but...

»www.speedtest.net/result/0.png

.16.. really ripping... I got more from a 56k modem...

»speedtest.net/result/1976975709.png

No changes. Still Sucks..

Re: Light in the tunnel...Maybe....

I am told by Windstream that there is an open ticket in my area to repair equipment. How big of an area? I have friends that live the next county over that pay for 12Mbit and get .5... They call to cancel their account after 20+ phone calls then all of the sudden its fixed... Funny... Can wait for the local Electric Co-Op to start selling fiber connections in my area. Time frame of August...

Anyway here is the latest speeds..

»speedtest.net/result/1985240862.png

·Windstream
Finally got a straight answer from Suckwind today.. They over sold services in the area and now have to install a new DSLAM with a 9/30 resolution day... Best they could do is offer a 10 credit until then... that is less that 1/4 of the monthly bill. They promise 60% of advertised speed, I get 20%. I am writing every governmental agency that will listen tomorrow as well as every consumer advocate I can find starting with Clark Howard.

Re: Light in the tunnel...Maybe....

Filed a complaint with the FTC and Georgia's Governors Office of Consumer Affairs yesterday. Trying to get more than just a 10 dollar a month credit on my piss poor DSL service.

Review by thutchings6 See Profile

• Location: Whitney,Hill,TX
  • Telco party @link
Good "Always on very little down time"
Bad "6mb is as fast as it gets.."
Overall "I will be switching to wireless/cable if they ever get higher speeds offered at my locale."

I started with 1.5 MB download and .512 MB upload..I had my dsl bundled with a phone package..It served the purpose at the time..I upgraded to 3.0 MB download and .384 upload as they would not offer the .512 upload anymore..I also did away with phone service and went to their greenstreak which is just dsl no phone plan..I liked that I still kept the same home phone number and could still receive calls at no cost..I bought a magic jack for outgoing calls and it has worked out well for me..I noticed here within the last few months that my upload speed has increased to .670 upload..I assume they upgraded everyone in my area to .768 upload who has the 3MB download..The only reason I upgraded to 3MB download was that I got netflix service and started streaming movies on my xbox..With the 3 MB download I can stream movies in HD..Sometimes my connection will slow a little and the movie will not stream in HD but 3MB download service is as fast as Windstream offers in my area right now..I have speedstream 4200 router running into LInksys WRT160N ver.2 wireless router..I started with Linksys WRT 54G and then went to a Belkin Model F5D7230-4 wireless G but both seemed to freeze and need to be rebooted to often, especially the Belkin..My WRT 160N is MUCH more stable and dependable..

When I first got windstream DSL it was when they first offered it in my area..Great at first but after about a year and a half they had over sold the available band width and service was very slow at peak times of the day..IE: after school let out until about 10 PM at night..They finally ran fiber cable to my DSLAM and it made a world of difference..That is also when they started offering the 3MB download..

Over all I've been happy with Windstream since they got through the growing pains..

Not happy any more!! Started experiencing the same problem as before but this time MUCH worse..Got no help from calling customer support..I will not deal with this crap for another year and a half as last time because now I have a choice!!

Still waiting for WS to do something..Have wireless service available but will cost $350 or more to get it in my house as I will need a pole or tower to be able to receive the signal..That also would include a 2 year contract..

I would not be so upset with WS if they would just admit the problem they have created by over selling.. It started when they started offering 12Mb service..They should move all customers back to 3Mb or less AND NOT SELL NEW SERVICE until they can upgrade their equipment to provide the service they sell..That is the most irritating part of all is that they continue to sell service that they know they can NOT provide!!

What if other utility companies, water electric etc., ran their business this way? Oh we will have your lights back working full time maybe sometime next year if your lucky..But in the mean time keep paying your bill as you have no other choice of providers!

Well I was on the verge of spending over $300 to get Nextlink Wireless when WS got my connection back to normal.. I think it was helped along by techs on WS forum.. I now get 15ms pings and full 6mb down almost all day.. The speeds will fall some and pings rise some at peak but mostly when we have many connections here in the house running at the same time.. Would love to have more speed but can not justify spending the extra money to get more speed.. They offer 12mb here but I'm to far from the dslam to get it.. I noticed some cable guys working in the area and wonder if that might have pushed WS to do something.. There used to be cable close to my area years ago but they went out of business because of not enough customers but the cable is still there..

Comments:
totalradio

join:2007-09-15
·Suddenlink
·Windstream

Don't hold your breath...

Windstream has similar plans in our area. Problem is that download speeds for me aren't important, but upload is. Their upload speeds don't change from one plan to another, so I have the 3m service. 12m doesn't help me a damn it.

Another problem with Windstream is they like to pay lip service to its customers. They'll lie as long as they can get away with it, especially when someone has no choice for internet, other than Windstream. They really can't afford to "upgrade" areas, as their balance sheet is in the toilet, so if they've promised you "upgrades", take it with a grain of salt.

They used to have their trolls on here to "help customers", but I've yet to find one person they "helped". Since people are on to their lies, you don't see them on here anymore. So, my guess is that you're stuck with them until you can some meaningful competition.
rickash

join:2014-06-06

Re: Don't hold your breath...

Windstream has been the same here in NE KY for 10 years but I have no real complaints. I am getting 8.2M down and 803K up on the last test this evening. Direct TV had some servers down and the chat tech admitted it. But back up now and just fine. And I am watching/playing on a Kindle Fire....
rickash

join:2014-06-06

Windstream in NE KY

Outperforming what I pay for by a bit. I had 803K up about an hour ago, 8.2MB down is pretty constant. Can't get 12Meg svc as I am 7,221' from the LO...

Review by Jackal1 See Profile

• Location: Lincoln,Lancaster,NE
Good "Price is competitive"
Bad "Nothing really. Had problems in the past with slow throughput due to a configuration problem, but was resolved eventually."
Overall "Decent choice, unless you can get fiber."

Has generally been more reliable than cable internet was. Had some problems with slow speeds in summer 2012, due to a misconfiguration at the CO. Took a few months for them to sort it out. It seems like their engineers/techs are doing the best they can to keep things working as well as possible with limited funding and limited personnel.

Overall my speeds have been as advertised (12/.8 and now 24/2) all the rest of the time with few outages. In fact, I have only had two significant outages that I can remember, and both have been due to failed modems (one about a year ago, and one about a month ago). Both modems were replaced at no charge, so that was positive.

Currently on 24/2 solo service for $49.99+taxes. Modem is a Comtrend 5600u (I think). My only complaint about it is that the "n" wireless version on this modem is not the "final" "n" version from my research. It has some incompatibilities with "final" "n" devices, so I can't use it as an "n" router. Hoping for a firmware update to fix this at some point, but so far one is not available. Pretty minor problem overall, and not really Windstream's fault (other than they chose the equipment).

Updated monthly cost due to Windstream no longer crediting Greenstreak "SOLO" (without home phone) customers the $5 line charge. This has been in place for years to offset the "line charge" and was solely done to increase revenue (i.e. it is not a required governmental fee). Sneaky way to perform a rate increase so they can still claim "price for life". Boo... Their value is now "average" compared with the other choice (TWC) we have here.

member for 3.9 years, 1399 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
AckAck

join:2011-06-02

Welcome to the wonderful world of Windstream.

p.s. - don't forget to readjust the "connection reliability" indicator to reflect your current reality.

Review by bcdavis1979 See Profile

• Location: Ashland,Boyd,KY
Good "none"
Bad "slow, expensive, lies about rates"
Overall "worst ISP I've had in 10+ years"

First let me say that this is the only ISP I have available to me or I would not be using them at all.

I placed my order with Windstream for their "High Speed Internet Flash" service which their website advertised as 6Mbps for 34.99 on 5/31/2013. I received a confirmation from them later that same day confirming a rate of 34.99/month plus 10.00/month for the modem for the first 12 months.

The next day I received a second email from Windstream confirming my order had been processed but "with exceptions" Turns out that they can only offer me 3Mbps at my location. Fine... I've got to have Internet for my job and 3Mbps is better than nothing. The email informed me that my installation date would be Friday, June 7th between 8-5pm and that my service should be live by 7pm that evening.

I received the modem/router and hooked it up on the 7th. At 7pm when I did not have service I called Windstream. After over an hour on the phone waiting for a representative I reached someone who informed me that my work order says my service will be active on the 8th not the 7th. I told the lady about the email I received and she apologized but said there was nothing she could do and I'd have service tomorrow.

The next day came and went and still not Internet. I called Windstream back on Sunday to let them know I still did not have Internet. The first rep I spoke to tried to troubleshoot the issue over the phone but was not able to connect to my modem. Then the line went dead. I called back and again had to wait over an hour on hold for a representative. This representative tells me that they need to dispatch a technician to take a look at the lines and that it will be Friday or Saturday before they can get anyone out there.

It actually took two visits from a technician to clear up the line noise and get me online. The speed was slow, but at least I was online.

A few weeks later I received my first bill and had sticker shock.

I had originally signed up for 6Mbps at a rate of 34.99/month. Since they were only able to give me 3Mbps at my location I expected a lower rate than that... logical, but not correct. My new rate? 39.99/month, plus a 120.00 one time fee for the modem, plus enough fees and taxes to take the bill up to 65.00/month for the recurring portion of the bill.

I attempted to resolve this billing issue with Windstream with several phone calls and emails. On 6/26/13 I spoke with "Robert" who asked me to send him the confirmation email I received advertising the 34.99/month for 6Mbps and he would have a supervisor call me. I forwarded the email to him and heart nothing back.

On 7/1 I sent him a follow up email letting him know I hadn't heard anything back. Robert replied and said he would speak to his supervisor again. Still no contact from Windstream.

on 7/8 I called Windstream and reached "Kimberly" who said she couldn't find any record of my previous interactions with Robert and again asked me to forward the email to her. I complied and again was told that I would get a follow up phone call that I never received.

When I received my next bill it turned out that some corrections had in fact been made. Not to the rate though. That was still 39.99. The correction they made? They credited me for the 120.00 modem fee and instead substituted a 10/month fee for 12 months to spread the fee out. I had no problem paying for the modem, and would rather have just paid for it all at once, but at this point I was so frustrated I just let it go.

I have made a few further attempts to contact Windstream and tell them that this rate is unreasonable given the service I'm receiving and the service they themselves advertise on their website. To this day if you put my address into their website it says I'm eligible for 6Mbps at 34.99/month.

If I had any other option I'd be taking it. I've actually considered going LTE as we get a great signal to our home on our iPhones, but the bandwidth limits just don't make it feasible since I work from home often.

Comments:

nikiinpa

join:2013-03-31
Rockton, PA
·Windstream

We have to take it because they are the only game in town

We have to take it because they are the only game in town & they know it, I was told awhile back I am lucky to even have their service by one of their techs, I imagine a lot of people in my area have left Windstream and gone to cable or Huges Sat internet.
I was going to go to Hughes but when I heard about you're only allowed so much of this and that I never went for it.

Windstream takes care of their stockholders not the customers who made them

mark40511

join:2004-10-12
Lexington, KY

Sorry to hear

about the fiasco you had to deal with. Aside from that, how is your 3 mpbs working so far? Is it consistent?

cryobaby

join:2001-10-26
Jefferson, GA

Used to be good, now, not so much

I have seen considerable amounts of degradation in the reliability of my Windstream internet svc. I have also seen considerable amounts of degradation in the quality of customer service. Up until March of 2014, i enjoyed a very stable connection of 12mb but after March I started experiencing loss of connection, outages lasting multiples days and of course, poor customer service where they tell me a technician will call when my svc is back up and they NEVER do. They lie, they offer unrealistic repair dates of over a month and they cant seem to keep accurate records of dialog between them and the CUSTOMER. I am going to file a complaint with the BBB and the FTC today. last night i got so frustrated with the first CSR i spoke with as he couldn't even confirm my last 4 of my social and was telling me i was wrong. Also, i think part of the problem is that they are putting the cart before the horse here in Jefferson, GA. There was a city council meeting held about a month and a half ago which the public was invited as well as two reps from Windstream. those two reps are lucky they made it out alive after being scolded by so many of mu fellow residents and subscribers and even two of the council members told of their distaste for what they are putting us through. Many in my town have been without svc for over a month!

Review by coldmoon See Profile

• Location: Broadway,Lee,NC
Good "Tech support personnel are honest and do the best they can"
Bad "Reliability is better but still grossly overpriced "
Overall "Total lack of competitive pressures leads to high prices with poor service"

Completely overpriced for the service they deliver. Network is over-subscribed to such a degree that watching simple YouTube videos comes with extreme buffering, making the service useless for anything other than checking e-mail and working on on-line forums that have no video content.and this is on a 3M account (highest they provide in my area).

If this is broadband, you might be better off using carrier pigeon...

If this provider is the only one available in an area you are thinking of moving to, look for your new home elsewhere; you will be thankful you did!

member for 12.4 years, 2202 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Cine

Class action suit

Ok, so when is someone going to take up our cause? They sold me a bill of goods they can't deliver. They have a bad rep for selling in areas they don't have equipment to service properly. I can't even sit down with my iPad and do a Google search without having to wait, like in land line days. Forget Xbox or YouTube. Before you buy a house, make sure you have choices. Verizon, where are you when I need you? And where is our knight in shining armour lawyer. This is one that can be won!
GearheadX

join:2010-05-11
Hilliard, FL

Re: Class action suit

We can't file a class action lawsuit because of the terms of service we all signed. We can, on the other hand, contact the FCC and our local news outlets.
totalradio

join:2007-09-15
·Suddenlink

Poor Service

The problem with Windstream is that when they purchased the smaller telcos, they bought them (knowingly or not) with the infrastructure in poor or horrible shape. It costs quite a bit to replace long stretches of cable, or in some cases, they have inadequate circuits feeding their DSLAMS. When the DSLAMS are at their capacity, they can't (or won't) upgrade the circuits feeding the DSLAMS because that's also expensive. So they keep selling DSL in those areas until the DSLAM gets full. By that time, everyone on that DSLAM notices extremely slow speeds. Couple that with bad cable in the area, and the problem becomes worse. Windstream knows this, and they keep selling DSL in those areas, and they should know better. Windstream simply cannot afford to make even moderate repairs in those areas as Windstream's balance sheet is horrible. They are concentrated on paying down their massive debt, which is nearly crushing the company because they don't have the cash to make any capex.

However, getting the media involved really won't do any good, since all Windstream does is pay lip service to the media. Unless the media aggressively follows up on the problem in a particular area, Windstream simply waits until the attention dies down, and its back to business as usual. Depending on your location, contacting your state's Attorney General may prove fruitless too. Windstream usually contributes to most state AG's, so nothing gets done, as that state's AG may turn a blind eye to their practices.

If you think Windstream might be advertising their service and constantly fails to provide them, even moderately, may I suggest a complaint to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). They deal in false & deceptive advertising and can move against Windstream more aggressively. They have the power to make them either deliver proper services, or stop advertising services they can't deliver. The FTC can also file suit against Windstream (on behalf of customers) for failure to follow FTC orders. Since DSL is a de-regulated product, complaining to your state Public Service Commission, or like equivalent won't do any good. Complaining to the FCC probably won't do any good either, unless it involves problems with your telephone service. Even if Windstream tells the FTC "yeah, yeah, yeah, we'll work with our customers and deliver what we promise", except the FTC will aggressively follow up to make sure that they do and won't stop until they do one or the other. The FTC has more power that most federal agencies, except the EPA or IRS, possesses.

So, if you complain to the FTC, make sure you have a copy of what they're advertising, and proof of the service that you currently receive. If the FTC gets enough complaints, they will look into the matter.

nunyabiz

windstream (shitstream) sucks!

If only, if only there was some computation; I would leave these folk so fast. . . I've endured the monopoly for 9long years, and it's never been anything but sucky. If I had to rate it with numbers, I would have to use large exponents! Fuck windstream!

Review by rwinegar See Profile

• Location: Mifflinburg,Union,PA
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Online support ignores me "
Overall "I would switch ISP in a minute if I could."

Line speeds are all over the place. It works for a week or two. Down speeds of up to 12Mbps. Then for the next week or two down speeds fall to 3Mbps. Peak time line speeds ALWAYS drop drastically. I post on Windstream Direct Support Forum and do not get even the courtesy of a response. I am totally ignored. If Windstream had any competition in my area I would switch to a different ISP in a heartbeat. The service is over subscribed. Windstream denies this. But the evidence is all over the place. AVOID THIS ISP!!

Comments:

Bufferland

@windstream.net

Speeds are all over the place

Since 2010 Windstream has been telling me I am in a slow outage area and my DSL problems will be fixed next year.... I wish.

I would gladly switch if I could as well but of course there is nothing else available in other words Windstream is AWARE of our plight and refuse to do nothing because there is no competition in our area and you either are online or not.

Buffering is horrible a regular TV show from Hulu can take up to 2 hours to watch or more. I abandon most of my attempts due to buffering.

As for tech help they always want to send a repairman to your home under the threat that if it is in your wiring YOU will have to pay. It has never been in my wiring because they don't intend to honor their contract of one price for life they simply are so inept at providing service they are waiting us out to cancel our service so they can hook us up on a GB per month deal instead of unlimited.

That is underhanded and double dealing crooked stuff that as far as I can tell there is the only explanation for them not fixing the hot mess they call 3M DSL.