Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by sh67 See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "Connection can be consistently saturated at advertised speeds."
Bad "Occasional connection drops for unknown reasons."
Overall "Overall, the service itself is fine. For customer support, use the direct contact forums here."

I ordered the 24/2 service advertised at around $50 per month. Over the first month or two after installation, I had to have a technician come to my home and either replace the modem or spend time on the phone with Windstream trying to sort out connection issues. This happened probably 4 or 5 times. Since then, I've had very reliable service at the advertised speeds.

I was provided a Comtrend 3100 G.bond modem with a built-in wireless 802.11n router.

I've been pleased with the service. The main reason I switched to DSL from cable is because my cable connection would slow to a crawl in the evenings. In my opinion, this was due to overselling on the cable ISP's part. With Windstream, I have had no such troubles.

Comments:

Review by jtimleck See Profile

• Location: Baltimore,Baltimore City,MD
  • Telco party Cavalier
Good "Cheap, DSL vs. fiber means it's available to many "
Bad "Dropped connections, tech support at level 2 don't pay attention, treat you like you are stupid"
Overall "Get if on a budget and need VERY basic connectivity"

We got this as a bundle package with our telephone several years ago. It's worked pretty decent but when we transitioned from Cavalier PAETEC telephone over to Windstream, we have had problems. Our Max download speed dropped by more than half, and our upload speed went to a measly .3 Mb per second. We've also had consistent issues with DNS configurations on their end. Recent calls to the tech department for support, where we verified our telephone to reach us when there was a response, we're met with calls made to unknown numbers. So, when an issue was being resolved they weren't even calling our phone number. Even when we corrected this they still used some random number. I even verified this through the notes made into our ticket.worse however was the resolution or recent issues.

When working to resolve our inability to travel out there DNS server, I was told that "we can ping your device, and we can see all kinds of things connected to it!" so what? It was an inference like we had set up our network in a way that was preventing us from going through their DNS server! Rather, the issue was their DNS server wasn't working. So when they hard set our DNS to a new number, it still didn't work. Why? Because the also reset our permission to use the network but didn't tell us. So, without browser settings to block pop ups, we never got to welcome you to Windstream screen, and so couldn't get on the net! but because I didn't have her phone number right they weren't telling us they even fixed it. So I only discovered this when I randomly chose Firefox instead of Safari as my browser.so fix this, went to edit the The modem settings, wasn't happy with them so I reset the modem. Come to find out this reset the supposedly hard reset DNS settings, back to the ones that don't work! Ugh! how is this possible! And again anytime things have actually been corrected they've not called back (To be fair they did reach out once).

Overall the current experience and not having Internet for three days and this happened three times in the past two months, has us shopping around. It's not a bargain if it doesn't work. And the system is set up to be supposedly idiot proof but that prevents non-idiots from being able to adjust settings, to get correct responses from tech-support, and get the job fixed when is a problem. Consumers are idiots, and little one tech-support is fundamentally a dinosaur/a thing of the past ("Did you unplug your modem and restart it?" YES! and I pinged you gateway and had packet loss and your DNS servers aren't working etc...."Oh, well I don't know way thing about that - only the techs at the next level" = A WASTE OF MY TIME). Oh, and a modem isn't a router btw just so you all know.

So get it if you can tolerate spotty service and meager speeds. It is a bargain compared to many other providers. But it ain't no good if it don't work and it can't be fixed.

UPDATE Dec. 2, 2014

Three days later and STILL not resolved. DNS servers DO NOT work, Gateway and DNS server settings keep being dropped by modem, leaving it "blank". Unable to do ANYTHING. "Support" keeps asking me to "open tickets" - I do but the techs "fix them" by doing things like hard setting my modem (again) with the WRONG, UNWORKING, DNS Servers (again) leaving me to MANUALLY CORRECT their work (again). They are saying things like "We can see your modem, everything seems fine!" - its not about seeing the modem - it's about getting access through YOUR GATEWAY the OTHER DIRECTION that MATTERS dip..... I can ping my butt off to your gateway but I need to go THROUGH IT.

Baltimore is basically screwed because the city made a deal with Comcast in 2004 to be the major provider and prevented competition coming or developing infrastructure (and they didn't win the Google Fiber bid they had hoped for 4 years ago.) Now Comcast chargers $1000 more per year for cable internet than folks who live in Annapolis, 40 miles away, and get speeds ONE THIRD of those residents. Oh, and don't even think about FiOS - Verizon basically sees Baltimore as one big "hood" - not worthy of investing in and they are hobbled by the Comcast deal as well. Hell, you can't even get Verizon DSL. Even CLEARWIRE WiMax was bought by Sprint and they stopped selling that too. So, great, left with Windscream it seems...Unbelievable. 21st century on the rest of the planet but Amurika knows how to live like it's 1950.

SO yeah... basically had it at this point. It's 3:47 AM, I have a HUGE multi-million dollar grant review due to my boss and couldn't get it done this weekend because of this utterly ridiculous circus. Oh, and I requested some compensation since I'm paying almost $2/day for no service and it's been down more than a week this past month. Wanna know what I was told??? "OK... I'm making a note of that... Call back when it's resolved and we can check on that." WTF? What is there to discuss? F is for FAIL

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Comcast Time?

Looks like it's time to find another provider.. Windstream looks as bad as Centurynolink.

I think Concast is in the local area.

Also look into fixed wireless

»wispdirectory.com/index.php?opti···temid=53

Review by Aaronb See Profile

• Location: Santa Cruz,Santa Fe,NM
Good "Nothing "
Bad "Not enough room to list "
Overall "Absolutely ridiculous "

The most worthless expensive constantly dropping service you will ever have the pleasure of having i guarantee it.
Dropped about 8 time before i could finish this little review.
Constant drops 15 months an counting

Comments:

Brian MFn C

@67.140.151.x

9 hours to load 32 minutes worth of video

seriously you claim to provide high speed internet and I had dial up faster than this bullshit 9 f**kin hours to load 32 minutes of video if I had the gas I would drive to the call center and strangle every support technician the hell out.
jtimleck

join:2008-12-24
Baltimore, MD

Re: 9 hours to load 32 minutes worth of video

Best.Review.Ever. (a fellow sufferer)

Review by elektro21 See Profile

• Location: Saint Paris,Champaign,OH

inconsistent service, pings are all over the place, Service goes out randomly for over 24 hr periods

Comments:

Info

@207.87.177.x

Complaint form for FCC

If enough people fill an Internet complaint form out, maybe the FCC will look into them.

»consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us
Aaronb

join:2012-07-26
Santa Cruz, NM

Re: Complaint form for FCC

that won't do anything the fcc is just as worthless as windstream

Review by Duo See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "It's not Dial-Up"
Bad "Shoddy infrastructure, don't get what you order, spam calls on your phone"
Overall "Look elsewhere"

So the Windstream website looks pretty promising...12mbps with unlimited incoming landline for $50. Thats $10 more than a 10mbps from Cable but you a phone, cool.

BUT WAIT! Even though it should be possible to check automatically before the order is finished if you can GET 12mpbs Windstream doesn't bother until you get an email "Ok we'll be out in 3 days, your activation fee is $50.....ohhhh and what you ordered you won't be getting."

Ok maybe I can live with 6mbps. Oops again, after connecting it was discovered that NOPE 3mbps was the best I could get at a stable connection. Now its no longer the economical option with or without the phoneline but hey I'm still stuck with all the fees of connecting might as well use up what I can.

Oh and the phone line itself, without giving away the number to anyone (because I wasn't gonna keep it after this fiasco) I still manage to get calls from people who want to annoy me, but can't be bothered to leave a message on the answering machine.
The amount of unwanted calls on my cellphone I've had for the same amount of time, Zero.

It rained today. The internet went up and down all day today.

All the customer service in the world doesn't matter if a company isn't willing or able to put in an infrastructure to support their service or give you what you order.

09/01/2010
Price went up, quality has been going down.

2/28/2011
Goodbye Windstream, it was a terrible year. Tons of hang-up calls on a phone I never used, slow speeds, no internet during the rain. I won't be looking back thats for sure.

11/15/2014
Came back to windstream a few months ago, seemed cheaper than Time Warner and the speeds were supposedly faster since I moved.
NOPE, tons of fees basically double the price of just the internet. Speed is 6mbps compared to the advertised 24mbps and it disconnects all the time.
I should have learned my lesson but didn't. Not to mention it took WEEKS for them to get a tech out to hook it up. Apparently they aren't hurting for money so they'll make you wait a few weeks.

Comments:

barb

@75.89.170.x

Service quality

If you want a service that freezes up, gives you two or more programs at a time, is exceptionally slow, a computer refuses to fix problems, ignores even a state complaint, then choose Windstream. It will live up to the worst service possible for an internet service. Don't expect to get anything for your money and then your set.

Info

@207.87.177.x

FCC complaint form

File a complaint with the FCC and flood them. Eventually they might get the idea.

»consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

budman

@172.242.33.x

Re: FCC complaint form

It's surprising what you can get from Windstream if you live in an Area where the service is either poor or non existent, out of range of the switch BUT happen to be related to the Governor of GA. Miracles happen, they really do, good speed, good service. h'mm alright for some

Review by LostInWoods See Profile

• Location: Baldwin,Banks,GA
  • Telco party AllTel
Good "Better than dialup"
Bad "Raising prices, declining service, and no other option."
Overall "I'd love to have an option to look at"

Update Nov 2014: The price keeps going up and the service is worsening. I've been lucky in that my area seems not to have enough demand to be terribly oversold the way Windstream like to do, but it does bog down at night sometimes, causing Netflix to pause and such. I can't get HD video on my poor bandwidth, but it usually works. It's irritating that they started charging me the 6.50 fee for long distance interconnect when I still have a Greenstreak line that doesn't support long distance. And the DSL rate has gone up 5 bucks. So I'm shelling out about $11 more now than two years ago for service that is degrading.

I see people on here complain about Windstream vs the local cable company. I'd love to have that problem.

Update Feb 2012: I don't recall exactly when it was last year, but after upgrading to 3 Mbits I found that the service would get very flaky, particularly after it rained. A service tech eventually re-provisioned my line to cut 20% of the downstream and 50% of the upstream bandwidth to get it more solid. And it is, but I'm still paying full price. Which is about to go up a *bunch*. With no competition, what's a monopoly to do except raise the price?

Update 1 Mar 2011: I upgraded to 3 Mbit service at the end of 2009 after WS upgraded the RT and removed a bridge tap from my line. It seems fine - I almost always get the test speeds I pay for. Once again I had to find out for myself that faster speeds were available.

My only negative comment is rather touchy-feely, and I'm not sure I should include it. I seem to have to reload web pages a LOT lately; this is a behavior that I didn't really notice at first, so I'd guess it started sometime in 2010. I really noted it when our new office at work began using WS business DSL and I started seeing the same thing there. It's as if some packets get lost in the network, though I've never put Wireshark on it to verify that. Sometimes I wonder whether all the mergers and upheaval at WS have caused their network to become less stable. Overall it's nothing I can put my finger on, nor really downgrade the overall service for.

Update 30 Nov 2006: Everything works fine, but I stirred the puddin' and have a bit of a billing mess. Windstream was advertising my tier of DSL for $25, so I called them up to have it applied. They would not just switch me to the new rate, but they did give me $120 + tax credit (one year's worth of the difference) that paid my phone/DSL bill for a couple of months. Shortly after that credit was used up, I got double-billed for DSL because there was confusion about the credit being applied. Then this month I got a bill where I was credited for the previous mistake, then apparently not billed for DSL at all. The next bill may just be an adventure!

At least the CSRs are nice and helpful and intelligible. I've always thought that Alltel/Windstream have very helpful folks on the phone, but I'm glad I've not had any real problems.

Original Review:

I happened to check my number for DSL availability after last checking in July. I was amazed to see that it was available. One star for pre-sales - why was I not informed that it was available? I've been on the list over two years! This is north Banks county, about 5 miles south of Baldwin, between US441 and GA105.

The order and ISP setup went great. I really enjoyed the fact that I could understand everyone I talked to at Alltel - no offshored support! That's something I would switch ISPs over. I also appreciated that the ISP CSR knew precisely what info I needed and did not treat me like an idiot.

The modem arrived right on time, and the service was turned on right on time as well. Setup was a snap, but I knew I didn't need help. I gave 3 stars for the Services since they don't offer 3 Mbit here, at least not yet. I'm probably too far from the RT anyway, but it's nice to have the option. Value for money is 4 stars because the service in this area is $5 more than they advertise on the website. $35 for 1536/384 dynamic IP, with the modem handling the PPPOE. I get about 1200/300, which is what I expected.

The Speedstream 4200 modem does not appear to support telnet or SNMP, so my desire to map SNR, attenuation, bytes moved, etc... using MRTG will have to go unrequited unless I learn something new. Not a big deal, but still...

member for 10.6 years, 1680 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by oldiron64 See Profile

this company has to be the worst piece of crap that ever claimed to be a communications provider. Service is not much better than 2 cans and a string. If you have ANY other choices please use them.

Comments:

Review by ddavis1202 See Profile

• Location: Wellford,Spartanburg,SC
Good "Local Service Techs"
Bad "Horrible speed"
Overall "Only use if they are your last option"

I have had Windstream for a little over a year. I have never received the advertised speed I have been paying for. Sales sold me 6MB service when I moved into my home and when they finally came to install, they said I could only get 1MB server. Since I work in server administration, I accepted the 1MB service since I have nothing else available to me. However, on most days, I was lucky to get 200K down and 100K up. After numerous calls, over a period of a few months and many canned excuses from support, one of the reps said "You should be on our 6MB service, that will help your issue out". Although skeptical, I agreed and they had it provisioned within a couple of days. Well things worked great during not peak hours, but anytime after 3pm, the speed would die back down to around 200K DL speeds or lesss. So more calls with support and they dispatch a tech who finally tells me the area is oversubscribed and that support never should have even sold me 6MB and he dropped my service down to 3MB. In addition, the tech told me there was absolutely nothing else they could do to resolve my issue...that I was basically stuck with my poor service until they decide to upgrade the DSLAM.

I would bail so fast if I had the option....Charter cable is about 3/4 mile from my address...maybe one day they will expand their coverage area.

Comments:
kpatt2006

join:2012-08-14
Greensburg, KY

no competition, no hope

Oversubscribed areas with no competition, that's the Windstream way. I've been battling that since November 2011. Since they still have no competition here, they still haven't upgraded their equipment for us to actually hit 3 mbps. Everyday speeds of less than 0.60mbps. Now, they have permanetely dropped us to the 1 mbps and says 3 is no longer available. So now I'm seeing speeds around 0.25 or less downloads and constant disconnections because it isn't fast enough to even recognize that it's even connected to the internet. Windstream has told me each year that upgrades are planned/on the way, but it never happens. As of today, equipment upgrades are scheduled here for early 2015...yea, right.

Review by Black_Mage See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Decent price"
Bad "I dealt with a lot of outages and didn't always getting advertised speed"
Overall "Only choose Windstream if it's your only choice"

Update Nov 1 2014

I no longer have service with Windstream because I got tired of outages. In the 2 years of service, I had a total outage time of a little over a month. Totally unacceptable for someone who uses their Internet connection as much as me. I was willing to tolerate not always getting the advertised speed. Getting no service was a deal breaker. The only reason I give tech support 4 stars is because of the great support I received from this forum.

Comments:
SnakeDoctor

join:2013-07-22
King, NC

You were Lucky

I have good service in the past. In the last two years my service quality is sorry. I called the Attorney Generals office in N.C. to file a formal complaint. I suggest you do the same if you can not get your problems resolved. Calling the Utilities Commission here in NC will not get things resolved. Call the AG.

Black_Mage
iMage
join:2012-09-12
USA

Re: You were Lucky

Since Internet service is still considered a luxury, I don't know what the AG will be able to do.

Review by kpatt2006 See Profile

• Location: Greensburg,Green,KY
Good "LOL seriously?"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Avoid"

Absolutely the worst company I've ever been forced to use in my life. Been looking at houses to get out of this area and away from Windstream, but until then, I'm forced to be connected with Windstream. A latency outage started up in 2011. There has been countless phone calls made to Windstream tech support asking for answers. Almost every time I called, I would get different answers or no answers at all. Finally, using dslreports.com, I got the answer that this latency outage in my area was to be fixed sometime in 2013. So that is how much Windstream cares about their customers. Since they have no competition in this area, letting customers get less than 30% of the service they pay for on a daily basis for 2 years is no big deal or risk for them. Yes, on a daily basis I get less than 30% of the speed that is being paid for. I actually cannot believe this company is still in business. I guess it's because they target remote areas that will have no competition in ISP providers, oversell the area so no one gets the service they're paying for, and still charge as much as they want to knowing that their customers have no alternatives except to relocate their families to a better area.

UPDATE: Worse and worse, this company is getting. There is no way that the way they run this company can be legal. How do they still exist? Will the FTC do anything about it? I'll attach the latest speedtest screenshot from today, which was 0.12mbps download speeds. I can't even browse the internet or load email. It was about 12:30pm when I ran the test, but it was unusable a few hours before that, and it will be that bad until around 2 a.m., then it might hit 2.0mbps. The latest info from them is "we would know more in Q1 2015, but as of now, upgrades are still planned in 2015 for my area." They said they would have to check the budgets and see if it still works. LOL. I think when you spend nothing on upgrades for so long, charge the same overpriced cost, you're going to have enough budget if you actually wanted to upgrade. They don't though, they still have no competition. SCRTC is suppose to be coming into my county next year, which is why Windstream has kept pushing back their upgrades until they are in danger of losing their customers to another option. The absolute best speed my internet can reach now, 1mbps at 3 a.m... 30% of the speed I'm paying for. Am I getting a 70% discount? HAHA YEAH RIGHT

»www.speedtest.net/result/3838244573.png

member for 2.3 years, 310 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ
·Vonage

Fixed sometime in 2013?? WTF

"Latency outage in my area was to be fixed sometime in 2013?"

Talk about hillbilly internet!!!

I know there are based in Pulaski Little Rock but come on... Can't fix a fixable common issue until next year. Ridiculous...

Might want to look at »www.hughesnet.com/index.cfm?page···ing#gen4
kpatt2006

join:2012-08-14
Greensburg, KY

Re: Fixed sometime in 2013?? WTF

I had Hughes net before I could get DSL and the latency is crazy. There is no online gaming or streaming of Netflix with 500-800ms latency. Yes, 2 whole years just for Windstream to upgrade their equipment. They have no problem still selling out internet service though because my grandma lives right down the road from me, doesn't have a computer, but Windstream calls her up every so often asking her to sign up for Windstream "high-speed" internet service! Haha gosh. It's getting worse too as time is going by because earlier this year, around 2am when my speed would actually be at 3.0mbps, my latency would be 45ms ping. Now, my speed doesn't hit 3.0mbps even at 2 or 3am, only a maximum of 2.4mbps at 98ms ping.
totalradio

join:2007-09-15
·Suddenlink

No such animal.

As a retired CenturyTel (now CenturyLink) employee, I dealt in DSL mostly for residential & business customers in my area. There is no such animal as a "latency outage". This is a phrase that Alltel (now Windstream) uses (and invented) to describe a problem they don't (or won't) know how to fix. 99% of the time, its usually bad outside plant because they don't (or won't) maintain it. In areas they purchased, the plant was already bad, and is getting worse.

Windstream really can't afford to make massive upgrades (or maintenance) to the plant because their balance sheet is still in the toilet from all of the purchases they've made over the years. Only when they're HEAVILY pressured, will they do anything to improve your service. Myself, I currently live in a Windstream area, but with their shoddy service and non-existent support (if you can call it that), I'm moving back to where I used to live where I had AT&T. At least where I used to live, AT&T worked very well.

All Windstream will do is pay lip service to you and when they're questioned by the press, lip service will be paid to them as well. I remember a time (last year), they used to troll around on here trying to "solve customer problems", when in fact, they couldn't (or wouldn't). You don't seen them on here anymore.

I feel your pain. Just roll with the flow until you move.