Windstream page on DSLReports

Review by GoonrGrrl See Profile

• Location: La Fayette,Walker,GA
Good "rarely drops connections"
Bad "everything else"
Overall "there has to be a better way"

Please, dear Lord, save us from this awful company.

I have a business account w/ phone. I run a small business related to live streaming from a farm in rural Georgia. Obviously with the amount of streaming I do, I can't do data caps, so satellite is not an option. Windstream is the only option I have, and it's SO slow that it has a direct financial impact on my business. At peak live-streaming times, when I need to be monitoring anywhere from 1-4 livestreams, I have to rent out an office share in Chattanooga so I can access 100-gig on EPB. It's costing me a fortune and it's exhausting. At times I have to monitor livestreams from international events which start at 4:00 a.m. our time and then do more on the West Coast which wrap up at midnight our time. Add 2 hours of commuting onto that and you can figure out how much sleep I'm getting!

I was promised 6 Mbps and at the MOST Windstream delivers 3 - the stats included in this review were run at 4:00 a.m. when nobody else in my area is online, and I have to say they are probably the highest stats I've EVER seen on this account. My average is more like 1.8 Mbps and at times ducks as low as 0.98 Mbps. You heard me right - I'm paying $90/mo. for 0.98 Mbps. That is highway robbery. It's to the point now where I can barely monitor a single livestream on my Windstream account. I have to buy extra data on 4G LTE and run the livestreams off my phablet while taking care of the commentary on my PC. I can't go on like this for much longer.

I suspect, but cannot prove, that Windstream gives traffic priority to the big high-profile livestream providers such as Netflix. I find it fascinating that I can stream Netflix and Hulu without too much difficulty (albeit the quality is of course horrendous), but when it comes to the small companies I do business with such as USEF Network, I can barely get a livestream at all.

I can't find out any information from Windstreamas to when or if service will be upgraded in my area. The CSRs always say they'll get back to me and they never do. I'm getting desperate. I need to make some serious business decisions - such as, am I better off selling up and bailing out of the Windstream service area completely, giving up my farm in order to run my streaming business? I NEED ANSWERS and I can't get them. That should tell you a lot about their customer service, right there.

Credit where due, I have to say that their area on-the-ground tech is pretty good. He has done everything for me that it's possible to do. I had a HORRIBLE tech in my last Windstream service area. And with Windstream you really live or die on the quality of their tech support. At my last location, where the tech *literally* lived right up the road from me, it took over a year to wind my way through the customer non-service pipeline and actually get him OUT to the farm to replace a box I knew perfectly well was faulty - I had dropped connections every time the WIND blew harder than 10 mph. No exaggeration. But at least I did get the promised 6 Mbps, when it worked.

As another FYI, the small biz sales rep who signed me up to Windstream out of the Dalton office was one of the rudest people I have ever encountered, and that pretty much set up the way this experience was going to go. The takeaway is that this company does not give one SINGLE eff about rural small business customers.

I sure would like to know exactly what Windstream is doing with all that government grant money, b/c for h8lla sure it isn't being deployed around here.

My advice is to take a serious look at your usage, and if there is any way to avoid Windstream, do it.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:
greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN

I hate saying this, but your best bet is Exede.

I have some family that live in the middle of nowhere that use it.
Often scoring above their 12mbps (usually around 20/3)
While the latency is really, really, horrendous , it destroys these guys. Also, they have an unlimited plan, I believe its roughly $70. Trust me, I'm used to my fiber here and would never touch satellite with a ten foot pole, but the service and speeds compared to Windstream make it way more worth your while. Hope I helped!

Comcast?

I'm guessing Comcast isn't located in your area.

»www.comcast.com/locations/intern ··· tte.html
GoonrGrrl

join:2015-03-18
·Windstream

Today's stats.

See the post re Exede. In order to run my company I *cannot* do datacaps. My business model depends on my being able to livestream sporting events 20 hours per day every week from Thursday thru Sunday.

And no, Comcast doesn't come out here. Do you think I'd still be on Windstream if they did? :-P

Today's stats: »www.speedtest.net/my-result/4236 ··· 36381416

I am paying 90. dollars. per. month. for this sh8t. :-(
davidhoffman
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

Re: Today's stats.

What sporting events are you livestreaming from LaFayette GA 20 hours per day?

Review by Bobec See Profile

• Location: Jefferson,Jackson,GA
Good "When things work: they work well"
Bad "Inadequate/slow response to problems: Customer Service/Tech Support are virtually useless"
Overall "Caveat Emptor: It can be really good or really bad and take a long time to fix"

The good observation: Once Windstream gets you up and running, my experience for the first couple of years was mostly positive relative to the reliability of the connection and consistency of the speed.

The 'bad' observation: Whenever problems arise (plunging speeds during peak & evening hours, frequent disconnects, etc.) Windstream doesn't respond quickly and they either don't communicate to customers or they provide conflicting status updates. Tech Support CSR's will routinely close trouble tickets before problems are actually fixed, without validating with customers that normal service has been restored. You'll need to make multiple calls to report the same problem. Example: In early 2012 my 12MB service (and service for many others in my part of the country) had been reduced to dial-up speed and the only response from Windstream was "We are evaluating the situation in 2012 for possible resolution sometime in 2013." Yet....Windstream continued to bill me for 12MB service that it did not provide for months! After calling in multiple trouble tickets and starting posts in the Windstream Forum without resolution, I contacted the office of the Windstream CEO (who was Jeff Gardner at that time) and...voila!!!...I got a call from a VP and the problems were resolved the next day. I also started receiving a $10 per month billing credit, which is supposed to last for a year. Still wondering why it took an email to the CEO to actually get something fixed.

Slow response to connectivity/speed problems, poor communication between various departments within Windstream, vague/infrequent responses to customer complaints, and weak procedures related to follow-up and problem resolution are the things that seem to characterize the Company.

I should note that the field technicians (the guys who come to your house to help diagnose/fix issues) have been very reliable and helpful---they seem to have accurate information about what the lines and DSLM can and cannot support in my area, they know if there are bigger issues impacting my area, and they know how to fix problems.

member for 14.2 years, 1939 visits, last login: 2 days ago

Comments:

Review by deusexvis See Profile

• Location: Cameron,Harnett,NC
Good "replaced my router when it fried"
Bad "everything else"
Overall "do not use this service"

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/11 ··· 92938313
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/11 ··· 21946991
 »www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/11 ··· 23424908

See above. My speed has never been 12Mbps. I can almost never stream anything but 240p YouTube videos.

Further, when I was not helped by customer service, I filed a BBB complaint, and this month, right after I filed, I was charged $100. My bill started a year ago at $68, and has gone up every month since. Predatory practices at their best.

Do not ever use Windstream, until they improve both their infrastructure and their service.

Comments:

Review by grandrivers See Profile

• Location: Rome,Ashtabula,OH
Good "Can't think of anything"
Bad "everything"
Overall "Run "

they have backbone issues port my dsl goes through 60 miles away snuck up and surprised them out of the blue with 91% saturation acted like they had no clue

Comments:

Review by rkirchaine See Profile

• Location: United State
  • Telco party WCV Telecom
Good "NOTHING"
Bad "EVERYTHING"
Overall "DO NOT PURCHASE WINDSTREAM SERVICE"

I have been a Windstream customer for many years; and throughout the years, the service has been TERRIBLE.

From packet loss to inconsistent speeds and latency issues, Windstream can never get it right. Nothing would make me happier than if I could get my internet fixed or replaced, but that's not going to happen (as I live in a rural area). I am just hopeful that when Windstream fails, they will be bought out by a company that actually wants to satisfy their customers - but until then, I can only make one recommendation: if you have options other than Windstream...USE THEM.

Comments:

Review by Mcoupe01 See Profile

• Location: Campobello,Spartanburg,SC
Good "Only alternative is Hughes Satelite"
Bad "slow download speeds"
Overall "They are a monopoly in the SC upstate rural areas where they provide service"

Have to bundle phone, Dish Network and internet for best pricing. Getting though the layers of Customer Service is painful at best.
Download speed on the Sagem Fast 1704N reads 14mbs and 1.7mbs upload.
Router download hardwired is 7 average on OOKLA
Router Wireless is 3mbs to 5mbs average on OOKLA (5mbs is standing within a few feet of the router)
Added and Amped wireless AP. Signal strength is obviously better but not download speeds.

Comments:

Review by jbarber See Profile

• Location: Commerce,Banks,GA
Good "I'll let you know when I find something good."
Bad "Connection drops, high latency, packet loss, horrible customer support, expensive."
Overall "You'd be better off with satilite, don't use Windstream."

When I first moved to Georgia, Windstream was our only choice. We started with a 6Mb package, and it worked pretty well for the longest time. Around two years later they dropped us down to a 3Mb connection. Once they dropped us down, our connection was absolutely horrible. We're talking 10%-75% packet loss in the middle of the day, high ping times ranging from 100ms-800ms. It's been this way for many years, and we're still paying $75 for something we can barely use. We've used their modems, bought our own, and still no luck. The real problem is their failing to upgrade their equipment as they grow. I was recently told that my DSLAM is oversubscribed by 158.3% .... And they won't do anything about it.

After many phone calls, complaints, we finally had a few techs sent out. Their performance was poor as well. I requested a phone call before they arrived, never got one. They never stuck a note on the door either, or even rang the doorbell, but they had the audacity to say they came out, and we weren't home (Which we were), and that there were no problems. Even when they found the problems and reported them, they still haven't been fixed over the course of 3 years!

When it works it's alright, it's expensive, but when you have no other choice, that's what you're stuck with. I wouldn't ever recommend them to anyone, ever.

Comments:

Ana

@windstream.net

Internet very slow and poor.

We tried windstream. I don't recommend it. Internet always slow very poor.

Review by Maar See Profile

• Location: Story,Montgomery,AR
Good "Got DSL in 2006 worked fine for 4 years till it was oversubscribed in 2010"
Bad "Remote has been oversubscribed for 5 years with no plans to upgrade "
Overall "I would not recommend Windstream to anyone."

I have had Windstream DSL since October of 2006. Had pretty much trouble free service for 4 years until they oversold the remote in 2010. Was told in December 2010 that they were planning to construct new fiber feeds to the remote to alleviate the congestion. They told me it would take until Sept. 9th of 2011 to complete. So I waited all summer and followed up with them on a couple of occasions and was assured each time that the repair was on schedule.

My last update from them was on August 3rd when I spoke to the woman in their complaint department that had contacted me in regards to my FCC complaint. She told me that she had followed up with engineering the end of July and everything was going as planned. Then on August 29th I am told that absolutely NOTHING had been done all summer and it will be sometime next year before any repairs are scheduled.

Windstream flat out lied for 10 months regarding fixing this remote. They still have no plans to fix the remote, yet are continuing to sell more DSL accounts off of it. Seems fraudulent to continue to sell new DSL accounts on a remote that Windstream has acknowledged to be oversubscribed for over 10 months. I would not recommend anyone to this company after my experience during the last year.

*Update 2/19/2015 Nothing has changed. Windstream is still selling accounts off this ancient oversubscribed remote.

See this link for full history of how bad Windstream is. »DSL Speed Issues

Comments:

Gramps

Sales Rip-Off

From the beginning, I had a 1.5mb DSL connection on a dedicated line. Then for the last few months Windstream's Sales group had been bugging me to increase my speed, through a "Special Offer" they would double my speed for $5 less per month (Current monthly bill would drop from $61 per month down to $56), so my response was OK, let's do it! ... I received my new bill today, and it was $93.00. And after an hour or so on the phone to Customer Service, they have agreed to put everything back the way it was, and reinstate my $61 monthly rate .. but I will still have to pay the $93! ... If next months bill is not back to where it should be, I will be saying goodbye to Windstream in favor of my local cable company!
kirinian

join:2012-06-03
Moultrie, GA

Re: Sales Rip-Off

»www.speedtest.net/result/2047740 ··· 0920.png my 6 meg connection at 9:45 pm in georgia

anonymous1

Windstream sucks

i have had windstream for 14 yrs. and i have 2 dsl lines and both on 3 mbps. i am gtting about half that. one line is on a wired connection and it always drops, with only one device connected to it.

i am paying over a 100$ for both lines. and call after call about the connection drop still nothing.

This is the only company that i know of that supports services where i live.

Windstream Sucks and i do not recommend them to anyone
Raymcc
join:2005-10-08
Atlanta, GA

Same story as Jazzie13

" if you live in a rural area it is not cost effective for them to upgrade the equipment. He then says oh that's what you get for living outside of society or something like that with a LOL!" they basically told me this to my face as the tech who really tired to help and came to the house twice, said he could see my service sucked and it was their fault and he'd told corporate and that was basically what they told him back.

My 6mb connection noon GA, a joke

»www.speedtest.net/result/2443067 ··· 7167.png

·Vonage

Hughesnet

Did a search of your area and looks like your SOL for options on different providers.. Couldn't even find a decent cell tower near you for interent access. Looks like your only other option is »www.hughesnet.com/

Not cheap but sounds better that what you got now. They have daily restrictions on how much you can download during the day, but at night they don't count how much you download. Need to read the details.

Stay away from WildBlue satellite service..
frog

join:2015-02-26
Sylvester, GA

what the "h", windstream?

my sister and brother in law have windstream for landline and internet service. they are paying an astronomical amount for their internet and have no other option due to windstream monopolizing their area. due to weather hazards they had to have their modem replaced 2 years or more ago. they are still PAYING for that replaced modem after 2 years or more. mind you, the previous modem's demise was NOT any fault of theirs. now(february 26, 2015, thursday)i've learned they have NO internet due to weather conditions and doesn't appear to have internet in the future of which they are paying for, astronomically, and most likely, won't until sometime saturday evening(february 28, 2015), according to the windstream tech my sister spoke to, today(february 26, 2015). my husband and i are with another entity and have not had the issues my sister's family have experienced. there is something wrong, windstream and were i giving you those big bucks, you would NOT be "handling" me. you, windstream, need to contact the people who are keeping you in business and HELP THEM!!!!

Review by Tplord18 See Profile

• Location: Wallingford,Fleming,KY

Been with Windstream for 2 years now since January of 2013. Nothing but latent network, inconsistent speeds, false advertising, and no future help. They promise latency fixes soon this year, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm stuck with these guys unless I move to an area "with competition." I'd love cable internet, but rural areas like mine in Kentucky get forgotten and lost in the age of copper dsl. Don't get Windstream. I'm just praying they improve my service soon, my online job and education kind of swings in the balance:/

member for 1.6 years, 359 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
sparky007

Time Warner

Looks like Time Warner is about 6 miles down the road from you in Flemingsburg.. I'm surprised that they don't service your area.

There is also satellite...

Re: Time Warner

Lol, I'm not going satellite, and yes TWC isn't far away:/ they haven't ran cable up here yet;(

Wallingford, KY
I'm just waiting on Windstream to fix and give me my money equivalent for what I'm paying for. 0.5 download and 0.2 up isn't internet.
IanLee

join:2014-11-24
Woodland, WA

said by Tplord18:

During the 2015 Superbowl, I have seen my ping rates go to 600-700 ms and download speeds go to 25kbps. For the past year my DSL service has actually been SLOWER than the old 42-45 kbps dial-up connection I had for over a decade, because I am still rural.

I live in Washington State and my situation is no different than yours is in Kentucky. I've given up on doing anything Netflix related and just buy DVDs/Blu-ray for movie watching. Given up on gaming as well. Sometimes basic e-mail will struggle to load.

This is what happens when you got old farts stuck in the 80s/90s running ISP companies. It turns out my ISP (TDS Telecom) has 'overloaded' their networks without making any changes to infrastructure. I even struggled paying the bills last Sunday because the internet was simply stuck loading.

Your best option is simply to move out of the rural area and into a place where there's "competition". I live with people who are too old to care about internet and as far as they're concerned they still live in the era of 25k dial-up.

Best of luck to you.

Re: Time Warner

You're exactly right. I literally cannot do anything online with Windstream. It's either move away or Kms to be honest.

Review by UberFAILZ See Profile

• Location: United State
Good "Good online/phone support, cause that's whats most needed from an ISP."
Bad "The speed, my god, THE SPEED."
Overall "STAY AWAY FROM THIS SERVICE."

Due to where we live, we have had dial-up for most of our computing lives. It wasn't till 2006 when we finally became eligible for dsl (3mb), and at that time, it was awesome. Fast forward to 2015, and it is so unreliable and SLOW. From what we were told from a tech, Windstream has overserviced their networks which is causing the speed to drop dramatically, and whats worse, it being completely off the wall at certain times of the day. During the morning, its a garauntee that you will have a 3mb connection, but once it hits 5pm, OH GOD, it drags and is just dreadful if you need to do anything at that time. Whats really odd though, on some days after 5pm, SOMETIMES, GOD WILLING, you MIGHT attain a 3mb connection, and I have NO CLUE as to what causes it. We've complained and complained AND COMPLAINED for what seems like ages now, about how TERRIBLE this service is and just recently, our phone lines have been cutting out for day long periods for absolutely no damn reason. Honestly, if this is the only option you have as far as an ISP, I would BEG you to reconsider, because you will NOT get what you pay for. I will report them to the FTC, BBB, and start raising some hell because I know I'm not the only one that's suffering with these crooks.

Comments:
Aaronb

join:2012-07-26