SureWest Internet page on DSLReports

Review by shinjuru See Profile

• Location: Carmichael,Sacramento,CA
Good "Super Fast Connection. Extremely Reliable."
Bad "* No Issues in 2013 *"
Overall "18mbps Up/Down 24/7."

January 2014

This is the most dependable service I have ever experienced. I play several on-line games and always have the best ping response on the servers that I frequent. We also stream Netflix and other online subscriptions through a Roku box. Get the service, if you can. You will not be disappointed.

member for 13.4 years, 6742 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Terrible

@surewest.net

terrible internet customer care and tech support

Don't waste your time or money. they are no competition for the big guys. I have had a problem with my internet since i got them over six months ago. they can't fix it and keep 'blowing me off.' it works fine for a week then drops out again and again and again. they have been to my house half a dozen times. then said it was a IP conflict issue and when it started up again Oh, I guess that wasn't it.. why don't we hard wire it and see if its a wireless issue? what the hell? how long do i have to waste my time? I rely on the internet for classes, research and pay bills. I will be in the middle of something and it drops and restarts. very frustrating. writing the FCC and get out of the miserable two year contract for crap service.

Review by powerspec88 See Profile

• Location: Overland Park,Johnson,KS
Good "Amazing speeds and latency 24/7"
Overall "Amazing speeds and latency 24/7"

December 24 2013

Found out that Surewest does have a 400GB cap, but they will only enforce it if people call in complaining of slow speeds. We do 1-2TB a month without any issues currently. Speeds have still been great, just wish they would bump up the speeds just a bit, paying $146 right now for 50/5 and basic TV.

May-15-2013

When first signed up, was in a 1 year contract for ~$140 a month, but after contract was up, price jumped to ~$260 a month. Called and signed up for a new contract plus ordered 2 more HD cable boxes and a newer DVR (with a bigger drive, 320GB now) for ~$150 a month. They have enabled whole home DVR which is very nice, but other than the main DVR box, they can't pause live TV like u-verse. Internet speeds are still amazing, still getting 50/5. Wishing for something faster still, 50Mbps with 3 roommates is not fast enough. User well over 1TB a month and never been told to stop as well. Got a few of my friends that can get Surewest to switch, and they as well say it is far better than TWC/U-verse.

Called the local Surewest office here in Kansas City to setup a time for internet. Wanted to get 50/5 but it was $210 a month, but if we added basic cable, the price dropped to $120 a month for 12 months. Called Monday afternoon and had a appointment for 12-5pm Friday. Guy showed up at around 1pm, ran some line test outside and the local loops inside the house. By 2pm, internet was setup and he stayed to make sure we got the full 50/5 service. Got a Cisco D3010 modem and used my own Linksys 4200 router. Modem connects using 8 downstream channels and 2 upstream. Speeds are 50/5 24/7 and have never dropped below it.

TV service is ok, not the greatest HD picture, it is worse than TWC which we had before. DVR only has a 160GB drive. They say home DVR service is coming soon but no dates yet.

Overall, Surewest has been great for us, internet is FAR better than the 15/1 service I had with TWC and a lot lower latency and less downtime.

member for 7.1 years, 3320 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by spewak See Profile

• Location: Elk Grove,Sacramento,CA
Good "Internet"
Bad "Expensive IPTV/Cancelled it"
Overall "No longer doing TriplePlay/voice and internet only"

• What other options did you consider for broadband
A) None. Always wanted Surewest.

• What SPEED/package did you order, at what monthly price?
A) Originally ordered the 10/10 but was informed that the 20/20 was available for $51 a month for the year. Of course, went with the 20/20!

• How was the order & install process?
A) Seamless. All the Utility companies marked their underground cables the same day that Surewest came out to bury the Fiber to the side of the house. Next day service was installed.

• What brand/model was the supplied equipment?
A) Residential Gateway and APC setup. House brand DVR.

• What good or bad experiences most struck you?
A) None really. Everything went smooth and service is well, fast! I realize it has only been a day, but I am excited like a schoolgirl!

*UPDATE* 11/16/08
All three parts of the Triple-play are going strong.
The DVR is functioning better than it was prior to several updates being applied.
The Tech support and Service reps are attentive to the needs of the customer.

*UPDATE* 06/25/09
Well, Surewest topped themselves by lowering the cost of their tiers and raising speeds.
I just got the upgraded 25/25 speed tier, it is fantastic! More HD channels being added soon.

*UPDATE* 01/15/10
Just had the new MediaRoom dvr and two STB's installed. The channel switching is fast. Watching recorded programs from other rooms works flawlessly.
Much better than old DVR.

*UPDATE* 5-19-10
Well, my time with the video portion of Surewest is at an end. I purchased an HD LCD tv and hooked up the STB with an HDMI cable only to have to go round and round with Tech Support and finally realizing (their engineers that is) that only Component cables will work as the STB does all the processing. I am tired of being the Guinea pig for Surewest video. The Tech support person said just wait, there are updates coming. Well, after hearing that for two years, I am done! Directv here I come.
I just made the switch to Directv and couldn't be happier.

*UPDATE* 10-11-13
Upgraded to the 50meg speed tier. Could not be happier. Tried to have the TV portion of the service installed, no joy at all. They do not have half the HD channels that Directv does.

member for 12.7 years, 5368 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by JasonC916 See Profile

• Location: Citrus Heights,Sacramento,CA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "Dedicated line, excellent local customer service, no dealing with outsourced reps"
Bad "The initial install was riddled by problems, did take about 4 days to finally resolve."
Overall "Suggest this company if you need someone genuinely caring about its customers and an alternative to other companies nearby."

I previously had Xfinity Internet Services installed at my mobile home, but my roommate is unemployed and I am going to school and our bill was about to jump to almost $150. We got a flyer in the mail that said Surewest DSL and Digital phone for $48. They said free 2 months of Internet included and a $100 prepaid Visa after 45 days. We called around the week of the 14th and got it installed on Tuesday the 20th. They initially sent 2 techs out to check the wiring and then later that day, the main tech came out to do the install. Because the wires were so old in the home, the tech had to run a new line from outside but everything looked flush , neat and tidy and not a mess. Then he setup our DSL Modem and Netgear Wireless Router and even installed a battery backup in the event our power was to go out. Everything worked fine and dandy when the install was done, but the next day I experienced severe rebooting issues with the DSL Modem. We called customer support and got someone within seconds of calling and we expressed our concern about the service. Surewest tried to dispatch a tech out that morning, but told us it would be guaranteed the next day if they could not escalate it further. To our surprise the same tech we had from the previous day came out early in the morning to check out the modem. Initial tests showed a bad modem according to the tech. It was replaced, so once he replaced the modem, everything started to work again. Then later that evening the service was acting up again with severe rebooting. The tech came out the day after that , and said everything checked out on their end and they could not do anything anymore about it , so they escalated to a supervisor. They had a team of a few people come out around Thursday including the Supervisor who found that the main phone box in the mobile hoome park contained issues due to a flood that happened the previous year. They did some diagnostics and repairs and once everything was done, they told me the would be monitoring our line for any inconsistincies and if something happened they would come back out and fix it until its finally fixed. I call this dedication. So far after the repairs took place there was no instability of the services, so

The price of our first bill was only 22 bucks, and its going to be a little more then the 48 listed after the promo period for 2 months free internet , because we wanted the best speed we could get out here and that and my roommate wanted Digital 500 instead of 300 so we could get voicemail features. The thing that impressed us the most about Surewest's customer service is that they are locally based in Roseville, and everytime we called, we got a polite, corteous rep that spoke clear english in less then a minute. With our previous company we were lucky if we were transferred within 5 minutes and they would always send our calls to foreign countries.

So far 6 megs is working out smoothly and the phone quality is great but we don't use it that much to talk on the phone as we have it setup for other purposes. And we will get a prepaid card after 45 days.

I'm very happy to have Surewest as my local Internet Service Provider, and suggest if anyone is looking for a local company see if you can get them first before any other provider.

Comments:

Review by joejamescat See Profile

• Location: Citrus Heights,Sacramento,CA
  • Telco party Roseville Telephone Co. (CA)
Good "DSL Service is good. They make a good effort to help."
Bad "nothing to note here"
Overall "I live in the country. I am glad satellite is not needed."

I live in the country. That should say it all right there. I am glad to have DSL service where I live. The people as always kind and they act like they really want to help. I am getting good value for my money with Surewest.

Comments:

Review by netobok See Profile

• Location: Lincoln,Placer,CA
Good "Never gone down, extremely fast, symmetric fiber"
Bad "Prices creeping up, have to threaten to cancel to lower them"
Overall "Great service if it's available in your area"

·Bright House
I had no idea how good I had it until we started planning a move and I saw what things were like elsewhere. We started out with 15/15 3 years ago and now have 30/30 with fiber to the house. Our service has never gone down. We also have phone service with them and it's been rock solid. In addition, they host an annual barbecue for the community, where we've won things, and they even rented out a movie theatre to give their customers a chance to watch Up, and we won a free tickets to the Sacramento State Fair. Overall, I'm a happy customer.

The only negative is that they keep raising prices little by little - a few bucks here and there adds up. When the bill has gone up because our discount was up, I've called saying I was thinking of canceling (though I really wasn't) and they've always given me another discount for the next 12 months, though it's gotten harder.

I have no idea what their cable service is like - we've never used it.

Comments:

Review by mob See Profile

• Location: Shawnee,Johnson,KS
Good "Upload is better than cable modem based internet access"
Bad "Not always getting full upload speed"
Overall "Better than DSL or cable modem internet services"

I moved to an area served by ATT, Time Warner Cable and Surewest. ATT offered capped Uverse with a contract, not much upload speed with a price that was not attractive. Time Warner wanted to sell me "all the best" however I was tired of their poor HD cable quality and slow upload speeds.

Surewest offered me digital cable, an HD DVR with dual tuners and 25mb symmetric internet service for a little over $101 a month after "fees" and taxes.

In most cases the connection is very speedy, with no problem getting the full advertised download speed. However when uploading it seems the speeds drop. I still get well beyond anything cable or dsl offer, just not the full speed I know the line can do.

Beyond that issue I am more than pleased with the stability of the connection. Ping times to various servers are usually below 10ms.
»www.speedtest.net/result/1327937818.png

September 10, 2011 - update
Solid, stable connection. Insanely low ping times to most servers and sites. Would love a free speed upgrade while maintaining current cost.

July 14 2012 - update
Dropped cable TV, DVR, etc since I barely used it. Switched over to 50/50 for $100 a month for a year.
»speedtest.net/result/2057520415.png

Do I miss cable television service? No. Nothing on was worth watching. Netflix and Amazon Instant Video both work very well on the higher speed service however.

Routing and latency are the same, and have been stable for the most part. I do not use their DNS however, it has too many problems. Virtually all other connection failures can be traced to my hardware, so once I got the DNS issue taken care of it's been very stable and steady with the occasional router issue that is solved by a reboot of the router.

September 23 2012 - update
Price was lowered to $59 a month plus fees and taxes. I'm able to go faster than many sites can handle, so if I have a download that is not at the full speed of the connection I am often not too worried about it. On most speed tests I am able to get over 50mb down and at least 48 up. I can now upload HD video to Youtube without spending 4+ hours waiting for the upload to complete.

Google Fiber is looming big in the area though....

member for 13.5 years, 5723 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: Lenexa,Johnson,KS

I had Time Warner in the Kansas City, KS area a few years back. It
didn't matter what channel I'd be on, I would experience heavy
interference and pixelization. Even some of the on-demand was heavily
pixellized.

Calling customer service was a major hassle. With high
hold times and having to repeat my situation repeatedly forced me having
to switch to AT&T uVerse.

While AT&T uVerse services are more
expensive, the quality of service was much better than Time Warner. I've
been impressed by AT&T's customer service. It's improved several fold
since the Southwestern Bell days (which were hellish to put it mildly).

Unfortunately, it didn't warrant me paying $150 a month for 3Mbps
Internet and 4-way DVR through AT&T.

A few days ago, I switched to
SureWest (which bought out Everest Cable) here in the Lenexa, KS area.
So far, quality of service is far superior to Time Warner. I signed up
for the 15Mbps Internet and 2-way DVR for $94 promotional ($120 after
said period).

Both AT&T and Time Warner charge you rental and
equipment fees each month for the DVR and the gateway. However, SureWest
doesn't charge for equipment fees. They even provide you a router for
free. The only caveat is that the router is locked down tighter than a
chastity lock. The tech who set up me told me that they are coming out
with a different router that would be more flexible. In the interim, I
am still able to use my own router. The only port they block I'm aware
of is port 25 (to prevent spammers from hijacking SureWest's email
servers). I can still run my own personal web server.

I was up and
running within a half hour of the tech's arrival. I was able to get both
my laptop and iPhone connected with no problems. And very reliable thus
far. The Cisco 8652 HDC was easy to set up, the interface is clean. But,
the iTVi interface appears to be disabled (the yellow A triangle button
has no response).

(review was emailed from domain att.net)

Comments:

mob
On the next level..
join:2000-10-07

N/M

N/M

Review by ajnk See Profile

• Location: Olathe,Johnson,KS
Good "Really really fast both up and downstream and ah yes, no caps"
Bad "Not much really."
Overall "Prices could be better but its still an amazing service"

Used to have AT&T Uverse internet and phone, 18/2Mbps. Now I have 15/15, an increase of 13Mbps in upload but a decrease of 3Mbps in download speed and their phone service. Once the one year promo prices is over I'd be paying about $61 for the internet alone. That's about $6 more than Uverse. So I guess in a way I hope that price would be a bit better.

Had no problems with the installation. The dude was really early and he worked fast. Since I had Uverse I had no router lying around so I opted to get their free Engenius ESR-1221 router. The router was pretty damn terrible. Kept on dropping wired connections once I start up utorrent or at least on some heavy load. Also they won't let you log in to the router's settings page to change stuff like the SSID or the default WiFi password so you need your own if you want to forward some ports and etc. Ordered a refurbished WNDR3700 that same day for a really nice price and it arrived two days later. Now ever since I switched the routers I have an extremely reliable and fast connection.

Update: 14 January 2012

Been having a few problems which started about a month and a half ago when it comes to streaming videos from certain sites. Video lag, stutter, choppiness, and etc. Sites this is happening are: Twitch.tv , Giantbomb.com , Justin.tv , and sometimes YouTube. Funny thing is I can stream (at least so far) Netflix HD and VUDU HDX flawlessly using wired or wireless.

Contacted them a few times now and they can't seem to find out whats the problem. They say its not my speed since I'm getting 15/15 from their speed tests. So, I really don't know what to do now.

For anyone in KC and has SureWest mind going to the following stream: »www.twitch.tv/peacefuljay and check if you get lag watching it on 480+ without stuttering?

Update: 6 February 2012

SureWest fixed whatever was the problem in my area early Thursday morning when they did their night maintenance. It has been five days since then and my internet speed has been solid. I can watch streams without any lag now.

Also, woke up to find news of Consolidated Communications has bought SureWest. I really hope this doesn't affect SureWest's service, while I had some problems with my connection, SureWest is still leagues better compared to other ISPs.

Comments:

mob
On the next level..
join:2000-10-07

No caps

Surewest does not put caps on transfer - so you won't have to worry about how much you download or upload. Uverse does not match that. Also if you get their cable you will find the HD is far better quality than either Comcast/TW/Uverse.

powerspec88
join:2007-03-11
Independence, MO

No problems here

No problems here watching your stream, 50/5 cable here with Surewest.
ajnk

join:2009-02-21

Re: No problems here

Hmm, I see.

Well, back to bashing my head on my desk wondering why whats wrong with my connection.

S3V

@cogentco.com

Re: No problems here

It's most likely not your connection; rather, it's the connection of the sites you are visiting (along with everyone else streaming from them).

Review by s10dude See Profile

• Location: Sacramento,Sacramento,CA
Good "great up and down....better than Comcast"
Bad "cancellation fee"
Overall "great deal as long as your not moving....lol"

this is a great deal. HD tv is better than Comcast and internet is constant with great up and down . they all so give free router if needed and it work's very nicely . i'm impressed and will gladly stay a Surewest customer , better price and better quality than comcast in my opinion !.... i haven't found anything to complain about ....i had comcast at 30 meg's and HD tv at a higher price .i have 25 now and it the same to mewith better upload , i got 3.5 meg's at comcast on up and i get 22 meg's w/Surewest....install was clean and tech explained everthing and set it up ..

member for 5.4 years, 288 visits, last login: 1 year ago