TELUS page on DSLReports

Review by jed See Profile

• Location: Alberta, Can
  • Telco party Telus
Good "My connection is reliable, and stable."
Bad "Cost - plans change all the time & you don't get those costs unless you are VERY diligent! Tech Support can suck! See comments"
Overall "About a 7.5 out of 10"

·EastLink Interne..
On a 3mbps connection, with 2 landlines, and 2 mobility accounts. Infrastructure is not upgraded in my area to give me more than 3mbps. Have had it now for about 6-7yrs. Using an older Linksys ADSLME3 modem with WRT54GL running tomato. Rock solid combination, as I run torrents, up to 7 systems, some wired and some wireless, wireless bridged to my xBox, and 2 wireless print servers.

Worst part of Telus is their support - if you are fortunate enough to get someone who is knowledgeable and in Canada, all is good. Look out if you go overseas for support to someone reading off of a flow chart and for whom English is a new skill.

Best part of Telus are the support staff that know their jobs and are more than willing to do what it takes to help you. I've had some tricky issues fixed immediately, while other issues, need repetitious calls to get the right person.

Never call past 1700h MST as I always seem to go to the Philippines.

Once you know the pitfalls, its pretty good, working within those parameters.

Update: subscribed to 25Mbps, and loved it. For about a year. Unfortunately, Telus' service is popular here and now in the evenings, sometimes a YouTube video cannot be streamed, at any resolution. Hopefully our area is upgraded sooner than later. Running all of my own gear, and connection still rock solid, just the oversubscribed area.

Comments:

Review by AJ102 See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Reliable connection, steady speeds"
Bad "Advance billing, short payment times"
Overall "Much improved from my last experience"

I just switched back to Telus from Shaw. I last had Telus ADSL internet in 2009, but since then Telus has upgraded my neighbourhood for VDSL2. This is my first experience with Telus Optik TV after using Shaw Direct satellite and Shaw cable TV. Main reasons for switching were price and interest in seeing what Telus had to offer (my Shaw deal came to an end and they were about a week too late offering to extend it).

So far my impressions are good:
- Telus offered me a good deal after some negotiation (no contract, 6-month promo price, free PVR that I own after rebate, no install fee)
- Installation was on time, smooth and professional.
- Speeds are better than promised, especially upload speed. Ping times much better than my previous experience with Telus.
- No real problems with the Telus Actiontec router, although I'm just flowing through to my own router for most things.
- Customer service was fine: no delays getting through, correct information provided, commitments delivered as promised.
- My first bill was correct, reflecting the promised promotions, discounts and credits (I could hardly believe that Telus hadn't screwed it up somehow!)

On the TV side:
- To my eyes the picture quality is a little worse than Shaw cable, which was a little worse than satellite. But nothing really significant.
- The basic TV service (Essentials vs. Personal) and the PVRs are more-or-less a wash for me, with minor advantages one way and the other. The only significant advantage for me is that I can program the Telus PVR over the internet, while my older Shaw DCX-3400 PVR did not allow that.

Other issues:
- It's exasperating that Telus won't provide any information in writing about my deal with them. I just have to hope that the notes on my file are correct and that my bills are as expected.
- Telus pre-bills for the coming month, while Shaw post-bills for the past month. Telus gives a week less to pay, and both charge equally excessive late payment fees. So with Shaw I could pay 8 weeks after the start of a service period and not be late, while with Telus I'm late paying 3 weeks after the start of a service period. Bad Telus!

Comments:

Review by camonline See Profile

• Location: Coquitlam,BC
Good "Service was very reliable. Only had downtime for 30 mins during an update within my 2 years of service. "
Bad "Wifi quality has dropped slightly with gateway after moving it from its original location (2 feet difference)"
Overall "With a long term promotional rate, I've had nothing but a positive experience. "

Started around 2 years ago with telus 25/2.5.
* Installation was timely.
* Technician was friendly.
* Telus automatically pushed me up to 25/5 service without me having to ask for the same promo pricing I was on.
* Random speedtests had me consistantly at 24.50+mbps down and over 5.5mbps up on my hardline connection.
* Wifi in the same room was satisfactory with my Actiontec wifi gateway. However speed dropped significantly on wifi. My PS3 in the same room only could get 17mbps on its wifi speedtest. Other areas in the home within a reasonable distance was slower. Not enough to cause a real issue overall, but still a noticable drop if we're just looking at numbers.
* Softcap has been beneficial - as my partner has been pregnant and at home regularly the last 8 months her netflix usage and our overall usage increased because of it. While the plan gives us 250 GB, we didn't receive any letters, warnings, presure to upgrade even though we currently are averaging 350 - 450GB monthly.
we are not people to take advantage of others but, we have been very thankful and feel fortunate that Telus has not been enforcing overages even though we clearly have been going over regularly.

Overall - I've been a happy client for the last two years. I recommend Telus as long as you are happy with their pricing since the service has been reliable and as advertised (on hardline).

Unfortunately I am planning to cancel and move back to Shaw as Telus is unable / unwilling to continue my promotional rate. While I was getting what some may consider a high promo rate (10.00 MSF credit + 5.00 MSF credit over 12 months = 50.00 + taxes/mo) they stand to lose a customer who has no late payments and comes to 672.00 / year. Heck, I may not be worth much - but its better in their pockets than their competitor(s) I would think.

Anyhow, the first 6 month promo savings at Shaw will allow me to bank the savings (50.00/mo down to 30.00/mo) to offset the cost of a new router and modem purchase / activation fee for Teksavvy after Shaw's 6 month promo pricing expires.

Internet Service Rating:

Technician Experience:
10/10

Customer Service / Tech Support Experience:
8/10

UPDATE - June 25, 2014
Requested my cancellation for the end of my promotion. The agent, just like the previous one, was polite and nice to speak with. After confirming my reasons for cancelling she was able to get approval to continue my promotional rate for another 12 mos. I don't know if their first offer for Internet only customers is to be higher (Probably so they can try to increase ARPU) or if Telus' marketing teams opened up the stacked discounts again for their Loyalty agents and the previous agent didn't have it in his toolkit at the time of my call, but based on the experience, I'm happy to continue my services with Telus as the service, customer service and pricing all met my needs. While I'm not the highest revenue generated client, I'm glad they were able to see that my money is better in their pocket instead of Shaw's or Teksavvy's.

This confirms my previous positive experiences mentioned above, thus far.

Comments:

Review by jtl999 See Profile

• Location: In the GVRD
Good "Faster then ShawCable somewhat. Speeds are alwaus consintent. Techsupport and Installers were nice."
Bad "Some people might not like the gateway. Some ports blocked (Shaw home still blocks some of them though)"
Overall "If you can get it and pissed off with Shaw go do it!"

·Shaw
Update: July 2014
Have been having issue since April where DSL retrains every few hours, TV has pixilation issues. Tech came out to fix it but didn't have much of a improvement.

Infoleak exploit has been patched :/

Six month promo has expired, although still affordable.

UPDATE. January 2014
PVR and STB stopped working. We got a tech out the next business day to help us. He tried his best to avoid upgrading the Actiontec firmware but had to so kudos to him. Good service so far!

I discovered a infoleak exploit on Actiontec .12 to obtain root

Original Review:

On November 15th we finished transferring our domains and stuff from Shaw. Then we ordered Telus Internet 50. Optik TV Select and Home Phone 1. Then 26 hours later a women called back to confirm. Then we got a letter in the mail with all the info. On December 4th at 09:55 2 installers came. They installed a Actiontech V2000H and two boxes for the TV (1X PVR 1X STB) However the bonded line was not configured due to a problem and I was getting speeds like this.
»www.speedtest.net/result/3144628123.png

They came back later to hook up the bonded line and show us how to us the PVR. We told them not to waste their time and have a good day. Then speeds were normal
»www.speedtest.net/result/3144910304.png

Overall I would say that the service is great so far!

member for 1.8 years, 760 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by tahukipas See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Quick installation, very reliable connection & speed, decent value of the package"
Bad "Very limited availability in Toronto"
Overall "Great ISP! No complaints except for limited availability in TO."

Used Telus internet when I lived at a cityplace condo in TO. Went with the 25MBPS/200GB package with no contract and was pleased with the quality of the connection. During the 1 year I was with Telus, never had any major issue that requires me to call customer service or even call for a technician to come onsite - nothing that can't be fixed with a simple router restart. Connection speed was also always stable at any given time of the day.

Setting up the internet was wonderful too. Don't have to wait too long to get a technician to come by and activate the line (only 2 days from the date I signed up), technician came on time was done within 10 minutes. If you live in a cityplace condo, all the infrastructure are already in place so no modem (and related modem rental fee, etc.) required. You just need to hook up your router and be done with it.

I would've stick with Telus if they offer their service in Toronto outside of the cityplace area. Unfortunately they don't, so when I moved out I have to use a different ISP.

Comments:

Review by Tornado15550 See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Great, consistent speeds! Had FTTH. Great picture quality, no issues whatsoever with home phone service."
Bad "Actiontec V1000H had terrible wireless. Constant price increases. Laggy PVR UI"
Overall "Great & reliable service. Definitely recommended!"

I switched from Shaw to TELUS in 2011. I ordered Optik High Speed (15 down/1 up), Essentials with two theme packs, and Home Phone with Caller ID and Voice Mail. The order went through with no issues. I was promised one month of free service, which I didn't receive, but I did receive a 6 month discount along with a free HD PVR rental for signing a 3 year contract. I was surprised to find out that my home had received the fiber treatment, and had an ONT installed.

I was supplied the Actiontec V1000H and the standard Cisco PVR. Everything had been working great. I started noticing my wireless performance deteriorate in early 2013, and I didn't get the speeds I was promised on wireless unless I choose a specific channel. My area must have been very congested or the V1000H wireless had been failing. The internet speeds when wired, have been perfect. Speedtest.net's ping used to be around 0-5 ms initially, but has since increased to 9-10 ms, but I don't mind. The V1000H is quite basic, in the sense that it does not offer dualband mode, which would've helped eliminate some of the congestion issues I was facing. The internet itself has been rock solid over the years. I have only had an outage twice, over the course of three years, and my speed has never fluctuated.

When it comes to Optik TV, the picture quality has been great. Unfortunately, the PVR's UI would lag (presumably due to the older hardware), and navigating the channels was a pain. The HD PVR would constantly receive firmware updates which would improve functionality (and to some extent reduce the lag on the Guide). One of these updates brought subscribed channels view, which was quite useful.

I have no complaints regarding the home phone. It works great, and as promised. I really liked the caller ID on TV feature, so you could quickly see who was placing a call to you, before you rush to the phone only to find out it is a telemarketer. The voice quality was good, and we used the international calling features which worked as advertised with no issues.

Unfortunately, TELUS cut the bandwidth caps in half in early 2013 (although, they haven't implemented UBB everywhere just yet) and have been constantly increasing the prices. I went from paying $44 for the internet in early 2012 to paying $57 currently (although, to be fair, the upload speed increased from 1 mbps to around 4.8 mbps).

Here's a Speedtest: »i.imgur.com/wwwudFm.png

member for 1.7 years, 720 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mooseinabush See Profile

Good "Speeds don't fluctuate, solid speeds when it actually works"
Bad "Horrible repair policies, unclear charges for repairs, bad stablity, not really value-oriented"
Overall "Can't recommend due to horrible stability"

Previously had Telus 25 Internet but upgraded to Telus 50 a few months ago.

Location: Vancouver

The price is quite average compared to other competitors.

My main problem with Telus is the totally random disconnects that occur. During these times, both the TV and the Internet will fail to work. I've had times where it disconnects numerous times (Sometimes 10 disconnects in the span of a few hours!) for up to 5 minutes per disconnect. It mysteriously fixes it self but having to wait 5 minutes after each disconnect is incredibly inconvenient. I've called Telus for support and I was informed that a technician would need to be sent out, and if the fault was theirs, there would be no charge. If the fault laid on me, there would be a service charge of I believe around $80-$100 dollars. This makes absolutely no sense because what if the technician arrives and doesn't happen to see the random disconnections. There is no clear line on what is considered their fault or mine. I refuse to risk spending a chunk of change because Telus doesn't want to be transparent about their tech repairs. I would rather spend that $80-$100 into a brand new Shaw connection where I can be assured that my money is actually spent properly.

The last rep I spoke to at Telus, so happened to neglect even telling me about any service charges, I only knew of it from prior conversations with Telus.

The actiontec v1000h is the supplied router which is also quite average and the latest firmwares do not allow for bridged mode.

Wifi download speeds range from 22-26 in a typical 2 storey house on the same floor without much interference, wired provides the full 50 mbps. Wifi is a bit slow for my liking but understandable considering possible wifi interference. However I was having very similar speeds on Telus 25 so not too happy about that.

Comments:
Neil K

Telus

"There is no clear line on what is considered their fault or mine. I refuse to risk spending a chunk of change because Telus doesn't want to be transparent about their tech repairs."

In other words, Telus wants you to assume that they and their techs are being honest about the situation and possible solutions to it .

THAT'S a tall order in today's business world where the customer all too often is saddled with unecessary charges and aggressive salespeople.

If you contact them again and they ( or their Bombay customer support staff) continue to insist you might have to pay for dubious repairs, you might want to consider cancelling the account immediately and demanding a refund for the month in question. They will send it, especially if notification of the BBB or CCTS is included in your written requests ( the telephone people are gaurding the junkyard so to speak, and generally will do nothing ).

Just posting the problem here is a big step.

Good luck

charges

if there is a wiring issue outside your house (up to the demark) then that's TELUS.... if it's with the TELUS hardware... modem, TV boxes, hpna adapters, switches etc, then that's TELUS fault
The charge would be $19/15 min

If they can't figure it out... there won't be any charge
99% of the time, if the tech does some work because he "thinks" it will help, but he's not sure... even if it's wiring inside your home, they won't charge.

My recommendation... chill

I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

Re: charges

"Pretty much the only way anything would be charged to you is if it's an issue with the internal wiring in your home.... degraded phone wire (water, damage - chewed by an animal) or if you've monkey'd with the configuration
The charge would be $19/15 min"

Jammer, if 99% of the time the tech won't charge, why do you then quote the $19 rate ?

How do they make their "bread and butter" then if practically none of the time they charge ?

In Montreal, where I live, there are almost more ISP repair vehicles than church steeples or poutine shops. THAT tells a story.

Of course, Jammer, you are also betting on the tech being honest about the "problem", surely you would know most customers are not savvy about wiring, "demark lines", modems,etc....therefore they are placing their trust in the tech who wants to make a living and then some.

"there are many complaints on this board, some valid some not... but I don't remember a single one regarding repair charges"

If that's the case, then you have surely not checked the board at all, Jammer.
The site is littered with stories about customers asked to cough up money for repairs ( if you can call them that ).

"the tech does some work because he "thinks" it will help, but he's not sure"

What does that mean, are the techs not qualified enough to know ?

For about $100 per hour they should be.

Re: charges

1: they quote 19/15 min rates for the 1% that might get charged.... not the 99% that won't
BTW, I neglected to mention, that's the BC rate, AB is similar but slightly different
Repair tech's support revenue generation, they are not technically a revenue generation dept. They have the ability to upsell services but that is not their primary job.

2: lots of customers = lots of potential repairs and/or installs = lots of vehicles
You're right... it tells a story, but not the one you're reading

3: techs don't get commision etc for repair charges, they have zero interest in charging for additional work that's not required. Even contracted techs get the same amount regardless of whether they have to charge or not

4: please point me to complaints on the TELUS board

5: sometimes it's trial and error
ex. say you're checking out a problem... you see that there is some older wiring that can SOMETIMES cause a problem
do you change the wiring or leave it?
you don't know for sure that it's part of the problem... BUT you'd might as well correct it to make sure

Remember... the techs are going out to a pissed of customer's house, they want their service working and it's broken.
Do you think they will want to tell the customer face to face that they have to charge?
They easy way out is to eat the charge, make the customer happy and leave without having to go through the explainations etc.

Re: charges

Jammer, with regard to instances of customers asked to fork over money for techs, I was referring to this site overall, not specifically the Telus board

Telus is like any other service provider, no better, no worse.

Where did you get this 99% no charge figure, I am curious to know ?

Because it seems like this is an either, or, situation, judging from the responses of the customer support people.
That, plus the omnipresent repair vehicles on the streets, my own personal experience plus those of others I know, stories on this site, etc, suggests the percentage of repair fee requests is far higher than 1%.

Why would generally fit, often twenty something male techs feel intimidated by housewives in curlers, wizened pensioners, students, etc, that they would resist the temptation to ask for the normally $100 repair fee, Jammer ?

Or, would possible customer anger be the result of the tech coming over too many times per year, despite previous payed tech visits ?

They are already at the address, and in a good negotiating position. plus they realize how much the customer wants the service restored.

I don't see why a tech would want to charge for a potential problem ( wiring, etc ) as opposed to a real one. this indicates potential trouble for customers, and possible unnecessary repairs being performed.

Re: charges

I figured that you were talking about the site in general... my point was specifically about TELUS and the fact that there aren't many (if any) complaints like that posted on the TELUS board.
You made the assumption that many vehicles around are because companies make money off repairs... which I dispute (about TELUS).
I made the assumption that no complaints on this board regarding billed repair charges means that there are few billed charges

If the stories on this site are not related to TELUS, then the stories on this site are not related to TELUS

The number comes from my personal experience of dealing with 1000's of customer issues over a decade or so (my sample size is larger).... and also personally knowing dozens of TELUS field techs and their direct managers and general managers

The techs aren't scared of violence, being fit has nothing to do with it... What takes more time, advising of a repair charge, discussing it with the person, the dealing with an unhappy customer OR advising them it's fixed, there's no charge and leaving?
Which seems more efficient?
Remember, techs are hired for their technical ability, not necessarily for their great personality or customer service skills.
That's not to say they're neanderthals but their primary job is to stuff fixed and problem solving, not to talk to people all day.

They techs have no negotiation ability... if they don't fix it, the customer calls shaw and they'll come and install new service

you're right, the techs won't charge for potential problems... that's pretty much what I said

Review by Clint_ See Profile

• Location: Salmo,BC
  • Telco party Telus

I'd get rid of Telus in a minute if there were any other choice. They have slower packages, 1Mbps but charge the same as 6Mbps. Customer service is the worst I've seen. I dread calling them if I have a problem. The last time I called, I was told 6mbps is not available to me. I've had it for years. The techs who show up when you have a problem are great. Second to none.

Update: I called last week and after only 15 minutes on hold, had a good chat. I was impressed. I wasn't happy with the answer but at least the person knew what I was talking about and didn't argue with me that 6mbps wasn't available to me.

member for 1.7 years, 129 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

JammerMan79

be realistic

You say "they have slower packages" and that they're the only provider.
How is it a slower package when it's being compared to zero service?

Just clarifying that you realize that there's only about 1000 people who live in Salmo.
So roughly 300 potential customers.

How much do you estimate it costs to upgrade ADSL circuits in your village?
How much do you estimate it costs to upgrade the back-end infrastructure?

Have you questioned, Why is there no other company willing to provide service to Salmo?
Clint_

join:2012-12-31
Salmo, BC
·TELUS

Re: be realistic

I do realize cost vs number of users is a huge factor. That doesn't make me any happier. I'd rather live here than in a larger center so it's the price I pay. My biggest complaint about Telus is they charge the same for their 1Mbps package as they do for the 6. I have 6 Mbps, my parents have 1Mbps. They pay the same as I do. I have a friend in Nelson who also can only get the 1Mbps package and pays the same as I do.

Re: be realistic

so you're rating based on your perception of someone else's service?
based on what you're saying... your review doesn't make sense...
fefrie

join:2012-08-17
Vancouver, BC

1 ir 6?

So do you have 1mbps or 6mbps service?

You complain of only getting 1, but say you have 6 for years?
Nick1996

join:2012-06-04
Edmonton, AB

Alternatives

If you're really not happy with Telus, you might want to take a look at Satellite or a WISP.

Review by telucaster See Profile

• Location: Chilliwack,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Reasonably stable once installed."
Bad "Time to installation was extreme, and recently took them more than a month to diagnose a problem with Telus hardware."
Overall "I wouldn't go through the installation process again."

It took months for Telus to get my connection functioning, and this is NOT in an isolated area. The phone "help" person who I placed the order for service with was either completely misinformed, or deliberately lied about availability and speeds, and upgrades due for my neighborhood.

I've recently had major issues with POTS and ADSL speeds/latency, and after many hours online with phone "techs" telling me to reboot my modem, etc., and telling me to install Telus software on my computer so they could remotely access my computer, which I flatly rejected, and 3 different appointments at my residence in one month, (for all of which I was told to be home from 8AM to 5PM), they discovered the problem was with Telus hardware at their office, 12 km away from here.

Other than already noted, ADSL is reasonably stable, and POTS is fine, mostly. Phone support is useless, and time from ordering until installation was ridiculous.

member for 3.6 years, 1339 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by gearHed See Profile

• Location: LowrMainland
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Excellent upload speeds."
Bad "Crippled modem / router."
Overall "Uncertain if I can work around the crippled modem."

Telus pricing is on par with others, if not less expensive in some cases. The introductory pricing lasts 6 months and a phone call will allow you to jump back into a discounted rate every year or so.

The rates are simply the best possible in most urban and suburban areas. The exception to this is a small number of apartments which have direct fiber access.

The install is painless and the technicians are quite friendly when one is sent out. Sometimes they convince you to do a "self-install" and just ship you the hardware. This is ok (and quite convenient) if your phone line is in good shape and you have no other special requirements. However, it often results in a sub-par experience.

The crippled ActionTec routers are miserable to deal with. Telus has made it harder and harder to get any access back into your home network. This is unacceptable to me. I can only stay with Telus if I can find a way to work around this. Either getting access to the router or establishing a bridge via cloud computing will be required. The jury is still out on this.