TELUS page on DSLReports

Review by mooseinabush See Profile

Good "Speeds don't fluctuate, solid speeds when it actually works"
Bad "Horrible repair policies, unclear charges for repairs, bad stablity, not really value-oriented"
Overall "Can't recommend due to horrible stability"

Previously had Telus 25 Internet but upgraded to Telus 50 a few months ago.

Location: Vancouver

The price is quite average compared to other competitors.

My main problem with Telus is the totally random disconnects that occur. During these times, both the TV and the Internet will fail to work. I've had times where it disconnects numerous times (Sometimes 10 disconnects in the span of a few hours!) for up to 5 minutes per disconnect. It mysteriously fixes it self but having to wait 5 minutes after each disconnect is incredibly inconvenient. I've called Telus for support and I was informed that a technician would need to be sent out, and if the fault was theirs, there would be no charge. If the fault laid on me, there would be a service charge of I believe around $80-$100 dollars. This makes absolutely no sense because what if the technician arrives and doesn't happen to see the random disconnections. There is no clear line on what is considered their fault or mine. I refuse to risk spending a chunk of change because Telus doesn't want to be transparent about their tech repairs. I would rather spend that $80-$100 into a brand new Shaw connection where I can be assured that my money is actually spent properly.

The last rep I spoke to at Telus, so happened to neglect even telling me about any service charges, I only knew of it from prior conversations with Telus.

The actiontec v1000h is the supplied router which is also quite average and the latest firmwares do not allow for bridged mode.

Wifi download speeds range from 22-26 in a typical 2 storey house on the same floor without much interference, wired provides the full 50 mbps. Wifi is a bit slow for my liking but understandable considering possible wifi interference. However I was having very similar speeds on Telus 25 so not too happy about that.

Comments:
Neil K

Telus

"There is no clear line on what is considered their fault or mine. I refuse to risk spending a chunk of change because Telus doesn't want to be transparent about their tech repairs."

In other words, Telus wants you to assume that they and their techs are being honest about the situation and possible solutions to it .

THAT'S a tall order in today's business world where the customer all too often is saddled with unecessary charges and aggressive salespeople.

If you contact them again and they ( or their Bombay customer support staff) continue to insist you might have to pay for dubious repairs, you might want to consider cancelling the account immediately and demanding a refund for the month in question. They will send it, especially if notification of the BBB or CCTS is included in your written requests ( the telephone people are gaurding the junkyard so to speak, and generally will do nothing ).

Just posting the problem here is a big step.

Good luck

charges

if there is a wiring issue outside your house (up to the demark) then that's TELUS.... if it's with the TELUS hardware... modem, TV boxes, hpna adapters, switches etc, then that's TELUS fault
The charge would be $19/15 min

If they can't figure it out... there won't be any charge
99% of the time, if the tech does some work because he "thinks" it will help, but he's not sure... even if it's wiring inside your home, they won't charge.

My recommendation... chill

I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

Re: charges

"Pretty much the only way anything would be charged to you is if it's an issue with the internal wiring in your home.... degraded phone wire (water, damage - chewed by an animal) or if you've monkey'd with the configuration
The charge would be $19/15 min"

Jammer, if 99% of the time the tech won't charge, why do you then quote the $19 rate ?

How do they make their "bread and butter" then if practically none of the time they charge ?

In Montreal, where I live, there are almost more ISP repair vehicles than church steeples or poutine shops. THAT tells a story.

Of course, Jammer, you are also betting on the tech being honest about the "problem", surely you would know most customers are not savvy about wiring, "demark lines", modems,etc....therefore they are placing their trust in the tech who wants to make a living and then some.

"there are many complaints on this board, some valid some not... but I don't remember a single one regarding repair charges"

If that's the case, then you have surely not checked the board at all, Jammer.
The site is littered with stories about customers asked to cough up money for repairs ( if you can call them that ).

"the tech does some work because he "thinks" it will help, but he's not sure"

What does that mean, are the techs not qualified enough to know ?

For about $100 per hour they should be.

Re: charges

1: they quote 19/15 min rates for the 1% that might get charged.... not the 99% that won't
BTW, I neglected to mention, that's the BC rate, AB is similar but slightly different
Repair tech's support revenue generation, they are not technically a revenue generation dept. They have the ability to upsell services but that is not their primary job.

2: lots of customers = lots of potential repairs and/or installs = lots of vehicles
You're right... it tells a story, but not the one you're reading

3: techs don't get commision etc for repair charges, they have zero interest in charging for additional work that's not required. Even contracted techs get the same amount regardless of whether they have to charge or not

4: please point me to complaints on the TELUS board

5: sometimes it's trial and error
ex. say you're checking out a problem... you see that there is some older wiring that can SOMETIMES cause a problem
do you change the wiring or leave it?
you don't know for sure that it's part of the problem... BUT you'd might as well correct it to make sure

Remember... the techs are going out to a pissed of customer's house, they want their service working and it's broken.
Do you think they will want to tell the customer face to face that they have to charge?
They easy way out is to eat the charge, make the customer happy and leave without having to go through the explainations etc.

Re: charges

Jammer, with regard to instances of customers asked to fork over money for techs, I was referring to this site overall, not specifically the Telus board

Telus is like any other service provider, no better, no worse.

Where did you get this 99% no charge figure, I am curious to know ?

Because it seems like this is an either, or, situation, judging from the responses of the customer support people.
That, plus the omnipresent repair vehicles on the streets, my own personal experience plus those of others I know, stories on this site, etc, suggests the percentage of repair fee requests is far higher than 1%.

Why would generally fit, often twenty something male techs feel intimidated by housewives in curlers, wizened pensioners, students, etc, that they would resist the temptation to ask for the normally $100 repair fee, Jammer ?

Or, would possible customer anger be the result of the tech coming over too many times per year, despite previous payed tech visits ?

They are already at the address, and in a good negotiating position. plus they realize how much the customer wants the service restored.

I don't see why a tech would want to charge for a potential problem ( wiring, etc ) as opposed to a real one. this indicates potential trouble for customers, and possible unnecessary repairs being performed.

Re: charges

I figured that you were talking about the site in general... my point was specifically about TELUS and the fact that there aren't many (if any) complaints like that posted on the TELUS board.
You made the assumption that many vehicles around are because companies make money off repairs... which I dispute (about TELUS).
I made the assumption that no complaints on this board regarding billed repair charges means that there are few billed charges

If the stories on this site are not related to TELUS, then the stories on this site are not related to TELUS

The number comes from my personal experience of dealing with 1000's of customer issues over a decade or so (my sample size is larger).... and also personally knowing dozens of TELUS field techs and their direct managers and general managers

The techs aren't scared of violence, being fit has nothing to do with it... What takes more time, advising of a repair charge, discussing it with the person, the dealing with an unhappy customer OR advising them it's fixed, there's no charge and leaving?
Which seems more efficient?
Remember, techs are hired for their technical ability, not necessarily for their great personality or customer service skills.
That's not to say they're neanderthals but their primary job is to stuff fixed and problem solving, not to talk to people all day.

They techs have no negotiation ability... if they don't fix it, the customer calls shaw and they'll come and install new service

you're right, the techs won't charge for potential problems... that's pretty much what I said

Review by Clint_ See Profile

• Location: Salmo,BC
  • Telco party Telus

I'd get rid of Telus in a minute if there were any other choice. They have slower packages, 1Mbps but charge the same as 6Mbps. Customer service is the worst I've seen. I dread calling them if I have a problem. The last time I called, I was told 6mbps is not available to me. I've had it for years. The techs who show up when you have a problem are great. Second to none.

Update: I called last week and after only 15 minutes on hold, had a good chat. I was impressed. I wasn't happy with the answer but at least the person knew what I was talking about and didn't argue with me that 6mbps wasn't available to me.

Comments:

JammerMan79

be realistic

You say "they have slower packages" and that they're the only provider.
How is it a slower package when it's being compared to zero service?

Just clarifying that you realize that there's only about 1000 people who live in Salmo.
So roughly 300 potential customers.

How much do you estimate it costs to upgrade ADSL circuits in your village?
How much do you estimate it costs to upgrade the back-end infrastructure?

Have you questioned, Why is there no other company willing to provide service to Salmo?
Clint_

join:2012-12-31
Salmo, BC
·TELUS

Re: be realistic

I do realize cost vs number of users is a huge factor. That doesn't make me any happier. I'd rather live here than in a larger center so it's the price I pay. My biggest complaint about Telus is they charge the same for their 1Mbps package as they do for the 6. I have 6 Mbps, my parents have 1Mbps. They pay the same as I do. I have a friend in Nelson who also can only get the 1Mbps package and pays the same as I do.

Re: be realistic

so you're rating based on your perception of someone else's service?
based on what you're saying... your review doesn't make sense...
fefrie

join:2012-08-17
Vancouver, BC

1 ir 6?

So do you have 1mbps or 6mbps service?

You complain of only getting 1, but say you have 6 for years?
Nick1996

join:2012-06-04
Edmonton, AB

Alternatives

If you're really not happy with Telus, you might want to take a look at Satellite or a WISP.

Review by telucaster See Profile

• Location: Chilliwack,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Reasonably stable once installed."
Bad "Time to installation was extreme, and recently took them more than a month to diagnose a problem with Telus hardware."
Overall "I wouldn't go through the installation process again."

It took months for Telus to get my connection functioning, and this is NOT in an isolated area. The phone "help" person who I placed the order for service with was either completely misinformed, or deliberately lied about availability and speeds, and upgrades due for my neighborhood.

I've recently had major issues with POTS and ADSL speeds/latency, and after many hours online with phone "techs" telling me to reboot my modem, etc., and telling me to install Telus software on my computer so they could remotely access my computer, which I flatly rejected, and 3 different appointments at my residence in one month, (for all of which I was told to be home from 8AM to 5PM), they discovered the problem was with Telus hardware at their office, 12 km away from here.

Other than already noted, ADSL is reasonably stable, and POTS is fine, mostly. Phone support is useless, and time from ordering until installation was ridiculous.

member for 3.4 years, 1280 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by gearHed See Profile

• Location: LowrMainland
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Excellent upload speeds."
Bad "Crippled modem / router."
Overall "Uncertain if I can work around the crippled modem."

Telus pricing is on par with others, if not less expensive in some cases. The introductory pricing lasts 6 months and a phone call will allow you to jump back into a discounted rate every year or so.

The rates are simply the best possible in most urban and suburban areas. The exception to this is a small number of apartments which have direct fiber access.

The install is painless and the technicians are quite friendly when one is sent out. Sometimes they convince you to do a "self-install" and just ship you the hardware. This is ok (and quite convenient) if your phone line is in good shape and you have no other special requirements. However, it often results in a sub-par experience.

The crippled ActionTec routers are miserable to deal with. Telus has made it harder and harder to get any access back into your home network. This is unacceptable to me. I can only stay with Telus if I can find a way to work around this. Either getting access to the router or establishing a bridge via cloud computing will be required. The jury is still out on this.

Comments:

Review by Gardener See Profile

• Location: Burnaby,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Very reliable. Usage caps not strictly enforced."
Bad "Annoying router, but it works well. Price keeps increasing."
Overall "Good Enough."

Started in 2001 with the 1.5 Mbit service, subsequently upgraded to 3, 6, and most recently 25 with our switch to Optik TV late in 2011. 3HD/1SD, a nice introductory package; we bought our own set-top boxes. No contract. Installation consisted of replacing the elderly drop to the house and plugging the new modem and set-top boxes into our existing cat5e wiring; it took a few tries to get the correct service on our line and there was an issue with a bad activation code for the PVR. We had TV by evening and everything has worked well since.

The Actiontec modem/router has an annoying user interface, and lacks the flexibility that I had with my Dlink router, but the connected devices work well (and if I wanted to, I could put the Dlink into the DMZ for finer control).

Service has been very dependable, with just two significant outages in the last twelve years. Our IP address rarely changes. The soft usage caps have never been an issue, despite the monthly gigabyte allotment being halved to 250.

Upload speed has increased recently (September 2013), to 6.5 Mbit/sec, while download remains about 27 Mbit/sec, and thanks to a much faster line rate, those speeds are unaffected by TV use. I'm impressed, and declare the service to be "Good Enough", although I wish the price increases would moderate; was $49 (2012) now $57 (2014).

member for 7.7 years, 2581 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

ChuckcarCZAR

@teksavvy.com

What about the future?

What happens in a few years' time when one gigabit cable connections are the norm worldwide and Telus can't provide speeds greater than 25 megabits per second because of distance limits on vdsl? Then what?

lalalalalala

@telus.net

awesome

The major thing that stands out with Telus is their full speed 24/7 availability of their backhaul(along with local) bandwidth.

None of the oversubscribed crap from the cableco's who would complain if you only pay half of the months payment based on only getting half the bandwidth speeds promised in your package details. People get criminal charges filed against them for selling and getting payment for 50 feet of rope and only delivering 25 feet. 50 feet is specific, as 50Mbps should be very specific 24/7.

Then again Telus doesn't harvest your data with DPI(Telus is an open pipe without DPI) for resale to other companies like Rogers does to raise their profits.
No matter what ISP you are on, when you misspell a URL, you should never be redirected to a 'help page' of your ISP(also known as advertising revenue parking page). That redirect is known as hijacking. It is a crime for anyone who is not massively wealthy. It breaks the Internet.

One more thing with DPI(injection as opposed to inspection). Are those ad's on the webpage you are viewing from the webpage or did your ISP inject their own ads into that page? Rogers has made a large profit over the years doing that to your TV shows on the U.S. networks. Google's search page never has ad's on it. If you see ads, contact Google and report it.

Review by warjim60 See Profile

• Location: Black Diamond,AB

Have the "fastest" package available. Not really satisfied as am having disconnection issues at the main box down by the hospital. The rumor is it is about maxed out, has burnt out slots and is running out of space for new cards. We have a new development with new families moving in, and another just starting to be built. I have no idea how Telus is going to service these potencial new customers.

Comments:

Review by parrelium See Profile

• Location: Abbotsford,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "I really like almost everything about optik tv except:"
Bad "Prices keep going up slowly, and service stays the same..."
Overall "I'm happy enough"

Still happy with the service, been down twice since I got it, and happy with the download speeds, however would love a bump on upload. Waiting for my 25/10 like Bell has.

I get faster internet than i ordered.. not sure if it's just a teaser(maybe they'll take it away after i get used to it), get all the tv channels except porno(same thing only ordered some of them i assume to take away after a free preview) and have a house phone again. was paying 37 a month for internet and 100 dollars a month for expressvu before, now i pay less and get more. Quality of hd is a little softer than bell, and mediaroom will take getting used to but overall i'm pretty happy.

update jan 23/2011
speeds have been set properly |:(
Don't have any problem with hd softness(maybe it's better maybe i don't notice anymore).
Mediaroom is way better than anything else.
I recommend this to anyone who qualifies.

update sept 16/2011
Still happy for the most part with the service i get. Wish upload was higher though.
Sending pictures thru email to family all over the country takes forever.

Update July 14/2013
Still happy, and am now on 50/10. Only complaint is the constant price increases, but otherwise it's all good.

»www.speedtest.net/result/3364383629.png

Comments:

showstopper

@184.151.231.x

internet

Telus has the slowest internet I have ever seen. I can't even stream one show on one device with nothing else in the house online. I even took my phone off of WiFi. I am definitely switching.
parrelium

join:2005-07-31
Abbotsford, BC

Re: internet

Well that's unfortunate. My speeds are the same 24/7 365. The only streaming issues I have are with youtube sometimes, and we all know that's their fault, not Telus's

Review by buffalojump See Profile

• Location: Burnaby, BC
Good "Speed, Reliability"
Bad "Actiontec is to locked down."
Overall "good service for what you pay for."

Overall I'm very happy, the speed is what they advertise (actually a little over) and its been very reliable.

Comments:

Review by Darhole See Profile

• Location: Edmonton, AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Speed as advertised, friendly/quick customer service, reliable"
Bad "Price raised more often than one would hope. Bad west coast routing."
Overall "The 50/10 package is a superior product for the price."

Was a long time shaw customer. Became disillusioned with the customer service and reliability of the connection / company in general (price/product changes all the time, the UBB scare)

Bought a condo and discovered that Telus had 50/10mbit available in the area.

Signed up for Optik Large Choice and Telus 50 internet. 3 year promotion at the time was $300 prepaid visa (good value in my opinion). Price came in at $156. Tech came on a saturday within 30 minutes of the time he said he would be here. Was here for about 45 minutes, had everything wired and setup to spec.

Have had zero issues with the internet or the TV service since install.

I must say my entire experience with Telus after being a shaw customer for the better part of a decade has been a wake up call.

The routing to the west coast sucks. In Alberta, west coast traffic first travels to Chicago and then back west, leading to high pings for online gaming to servers like California.

member for 9.1 years, 538 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by yyceggy See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
Good "constantly good speeds, 100% uptime"
Bad "usage caps ... but"
Overall "great connection 100% of the time, tech support over twitter is awesome"

I am not going to write 10 page review, not my thing, Over all a great ISP at least in my area ( Calgary NW ) works all the time, no down time , always constantly good speeds. Zero issues streaming from Netflix of any other video steaming service. Cap is set at 250 GB a month but I am sure I went over number of times and never was bothered with letters or overage fees.

At this point no reason to go anywhere else.