TELUS page on DSLReports

Review by bluenote73 See Profile

• Location: V4N6A5
Good "DSL delivers the speed reliably."
Bad "Contracts bind you, not them. They raised my prices 5 times, and cut my caps in half UNDER CONTRACT."
Overall "5 price increases UNDER 3 YEAR CONTRACT. They are deceitful liars. Go with Teksavvy, or another third party ISP instead."

·FreePhoneLine
While their service delivery is good, their morals are lacking. When one signs up for a contract, they do not specify that the price, and product can change, and there is NOTHING you can do about it. Cutting my caps by 50%, and then deciding to charge overages, plus at least 5 price increases during the term is NOT ETHICAL.

Do not reward this behaviour. Do not sign a contract with them. Go with Teksavvy, or try AEBC.com, Lightspeed.ca, Nucleus.ca, unmetereddsl.ca, or uniserve.com.

member for 6 years, 460 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ArclightX See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
Good "Reliable-ish"
Bad "Oligopoly=Bad"
Overall "If telus could steal money from your wallet they would and at this point they don't even try to hide that fact"

The Facts:

- I'm in Calgary
- I'm a former Network Eng at telus
- I'm on the 25/5Mbit profile (although I've only ever gotten about ~3Mbits upload speed)
- I also have their minimum package TTV (IPTV) service called "The Essentials"
- I DO NOT Have a home phone line (aka Dark ADSL)
- I Pay about $86/mo for this which includes a bundle discount and 1 or 2 other "negotiated" discounts that have remained on my bill
- I use the ALU 7130 modem and utilize my own home router for service throughout my home

So in terms of the service itself, it's good enough, not perfect but it works and telus doesn't employ "traffic management" techniques which is a good thing.

So the real situation here is that I will be leaving telus in the next week or two and will be going with a wholesale provider with unlimited service. For the longest time telus always advertised caps but never enforced them for so long as you had ttv service with your internet service. The price isn't what I would call competitive but I was willing to go along with it for so long as my bandwidth wasn't enforced and the service remained steady.

Then this happened: »goo.gl/gswVP8

So yeah, the funny thing is I know how this company thinks and in the end what they're basically saying without actually saying is:

"We don't want customers like you on our network. We only want grandma who occasionally checks her email and smiles at pictures at her grandkids once or twice a week. Power users like you that do stuff, download movies, watch Netflix, gaming, have a connected home that chews bandwidth, etc.. etc.. No Thank You! Off you Go!"

Everything you hear contrary to that from either the company or the talking mouthpieces on DSL Reports is pure Spin and pure Lies. Don't believe it for a second and trust your gut.

How is telus is communicating this message you ask?

- By how they've consistently raised their prices twice in the past year
- How they started to Artificially cut their usage caps in half as a first step towards UBB
- And now the grand crescendo, Implementation of Usage Based Billing

Why is this happening you ask?

- Just like the rest of robellus to maximize profits at your expense
- Artificially lowering service to lower their costs
- And most of all, to protect their broadcast TV service by behaving anti-competitively (Which should be illegal btw, I'm looking at you CRTC)

That sucks @ss! What can I do about it?

- The ONLY thing you can do about it is vote with your dollars, LEAVE telus and go with a smaller wholesale provider
- No amount of moaning or whining will change a thing
- telus has already done the math
- They're in it to maximize their profits at your expense and they are BARELY veiling that fact from you in their actions

Vote with your $$$, Leave telus like I am, You'll be so much happier once you have.

It will almost feel cathartic to be rid of them. Trust Me.

Comments:

Review by pb2k See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Consistent full speed. Never seen an outage, even during the calgary flood (whole subdivision dark 48+ hrs - I had a generator)"
Bad "Yeah, the new caps suck if you can't get HS25 or better."
Overall "It's still solid service. If you have 3+ med-heavy users in the house, you may have to shell out $10-30 more for unlimited."

Running 3HD/1SD TTV with 25mbit internet synced at 40/7.
New modems (T2200H) now have bridged option, so I might finally be convinced to swap out my ALU 7130 so I can get HS50.

member for 9.7 years, 2855 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Admiral124 See Profile

• Location: canada
Bad "UBB"

Over the past few years, Telus has increased their rates and lowered their offering. Not once have they spent any of their profits in my community on upgrading services as our lines begin to rot. Today, when HD streaming and game downloads easily reach into the tens of GB (or more), measly limits of 100GB/month can't be taken seriously - especially with 4K content around the corner. Now that they have decided to implement usage-based billing, I will be dropping their services in favor of someone else.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:

Review by timerider2 See Profile

• Location: St Albert,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Only had a handfull of total outages in 3 or 4 years"
Bad "I have never had full speed from day one. USAGE CAPS and OVERBILLING are ridiculous."
Overall "It was already an expensive service with only so-so performance and NOW OVERCHARGING has made it just laughable."

I originally switched to Telus after Shaw was going to start overbilling internet 3 or 4 years ago. At that time Telus was bragging about how big and shiny their network was and how they had plenty of capacity and would never overbill their customers. Fast forward 3 years later and Telus has decided to pull the same BS. My hookup went okay but I never received my full 25mbps usually hovering between 15mbps and 20mbps, repeated calls and support from Telus failed to fix the problem. I've been with them over 3 years and have never had full speed and strange stuff like the modem resetting everytime our phone rings etc keeps happening. I was happy to pay for my lackluster service just to avoid the hassle of having to switch. Now with OVERCHARGING I am expected to have my nose stuck to the TELUSmeter all month to make sure I don't go over. I don't know about other people but I must have 15 devices hooked up to the internet at any given time and watching my TELUSmeter would probably become a fulltime job, and quite frankly I don't need the extra stress or hassle. Don't get me wrong I'm usually under my cap but it's the principal of the thing. Over my time with Telus I've had crappy service, crappy support, my cap has been cut from 500gb to 250gb and now for the last straw OVERCHARGING. I have resisted going to a third party provider up till now because I felt more secure with the feel good advertising and cute furry animals the big companies push but ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ALREADY. I urge others to explore 3rd party providers as I am doing and cancel Telus making sure to let them know why. When I told my wife she said, "Don't we already pay them over $60 a month for internet, WTF", GOOD QUESTION!!!!!

member for 4.2 years, 98 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Darthan See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
Good "None"
Bad "Overage Fees"
Overall "I'm quitting you Telus"

So Long Telus, it's been a good 15 years with you (Phone for all those years, internet & TV off and on). I never go over my monthly allotment but I find the fact that you want to start charging for using bandwidth offensive. We are done. See ya!

=====

Update - Jan 2010

I'm back to Telus after several years with Shaw. My shaw connection had become quite unreliable after moving to a new house and I noticed that Telus was cheaper with bundling so I though I'd give them another go. I am impressed-- much improvement since the last time I was with Telus. Fast and consistent, has not been down at all so far and no throttling when downloading linux iso's over Bittorrent. As long as I never have to call support I am a happy camper!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated

Telus has deteriorated significantly over the past couple of months. Constant drops, DNS timeouts, useless tech support-- It got to the point where I made the phone call to shaw yesterday and the will be hooking it up on wednesday. Telus was great at first, but when it's bad it's really bad...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

For $34.95 per month I can't really complain. Switched from shaw because I got a dish and didn't want to pay the extra $10 per month although I understand shaw has discontinued this. Telus was going to be about 2 months before they could get a tech out so I told them that was unacceptable and would stay with shaw. Once they heard I was with shaw the offered to send me a quick connect kit for free (need to return if / when I cancel though), free web cam and give me 2 months free. It took about 2 weeks for the kit to arrive by mail, but once I got it it was about 10 minutes to get online. Had to call tech support once and the wait was going to be over 60 minutes, but in the time I was waiting I managed to fix the problem myself-- hopefully I never have a major issue where I have to actually wait that long to get through. Speed is not as fast as I was getting with Shaw (my shaw connection was amazing), but still pretty fast-- my connection speeds do seem a lot more consistent than I was getting with Shaw even though not as fast. Overall for five dollars less per month I am happy with Telus.

member for 13.3 years, 1265 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by patster See Profile

• Location: Medicine Hat,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Reliable service, good bundle pricing."
Bad "Limited internet speeds due to lack of fiber in my area."
Overall "Telus provides good service, but it makes a difference where you live!"

I am on a 25/5 mbit package and using an Actiontec T1200. The appointments and install visits are good. The only complaint that I have is that I live in what Telus calls an Extended Reach Area. I'm at the end of the loop and as such my SNR values are very low.

Comments:

Review by Cartel See Profile

• Location: Chilliwack,BC
Good "Nothing now"
Bad "Ping, credit check, ID, DNA, drug test"
Overall "Way too picky and want way too much info. GTFO"

·Shaw
·TekSavvy DSL
Telus wanted a DNA sample to verify my ID and a $300 deposit, they can suck my pant antler...

Comments:

Review by BGPatterson See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "service seems fast"
Overall "seems ok. "

I called up telus and ordered the high speed 25 dsl. They mailed out a zyxel vdsl modem, it was hooked up on the 7th. I ordered it about a week before, they waited for the modem to get to me in the mail. It seems to work alright, tech hooked me up to the cabinet and called to say it was ready. I didn't request the in house install, I put the pots filter in myself. lets hope they are better than my shaw line.

Comments:

Review by Lyk9 See Profile

• Location: Calmar,AB
Good "Better than the alternative "
Bad "Can't even come close to delivering promised speeds during peak hours"
Overall "Meh"

Signed up for the 25/5 package and everything was fine for about a month or two. However I started to notice a drop in speeds around 5PM local time accompanied with an increase of latency that was on average four times the normal measure. So my first official contact to Telus about this issue was in October 2013, After a while on the phone moving up the chain I finally get to someone who tells me my area's "box" needs to be upgraded and that he does not have any time frame of when it will be replaced. After that call months go by and I do call Telus again, I cannot give specific dates to these calls but over a year I contacted Telus at least four times in regards to this issue. Every single time I was told a plan is in place but no time frame. It has now been a year from my first call and no change. During the weekdays between the hours of 4PM-1AM my speeds deteriorate from 27mbps to as low as 3mbps. during the weekends and holidays the speeds are not consistent enough to give a accurate picture.

I was offered a discount once for this issue, that didn't materialize until I contacted Telus again. I also had to contact Telus TWO separate times to tell them that my bundle discount and 6 month promotion discount were missing from my bill.

UPDATE: As of October 16th hardware changes to my connection were made to resolve this issue, prime time hours no longer adversely affect my connection. This came after contact with someone in Executive Customer Relations.

2nd UPDATE: October 19th The connection is still doing very good. Speeds and latency are better than they have ever been.

Comments:

Lou Majta

@216.232.208.x

Idiot charges

I just noticed that telus has the nerve to charge me $2 for a paper bill. My bill also fluctuates between $155 to $170 with no explanation as to why.
Time to get rid of the thieves.
Trencher

join:2007-02-12
Etobicoke, ON

Re: Idiot charges

Almost all ISP's charge for paper billing now... If your bill is fluctuating maybe you should contact them to find out why?