TELUS page on DSLReports

Review by phayze7 See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
Good "techs @customer service very helpfull and friendly"
Bad "techs @ technical support ->lucky if you get a helpfull one"
Overall "too many slowdowns lately, service can improve in EDMONTON"

Samething happen to me BOSFAN

I am very disappointed with Telus fast internet service techs here in Edmonton specially with one tech named Shaun, ( i hope you see this Shaun). I have had nothing but problems since the initial installation back in January 2000. As Bosfan wrote that things went well till fall of 2000, I as well have experienced the same. The tech that installed my modem was very helpful....I had no problem with him. But he did seem to have trouble explaining to me why my downloads were alot slower than his laptop. He did suggest for me to upgrade my windows 95 to 98 in which I did...everyone at Telus told me he should of not suggest that because it is not policy. Some of these techs do try to help outside of protocol in which I admire their honesty to help the customer that is not familiar with this whole mess of a service. I spoke with many of Telus techs after the initial installation because of the issue of slowdown...finally another tech put himself on the line by suggesting this very site and helping me to tweak windows...only after this tweaking did my speed and my downloads increased to its potential. With all this said and done I praise the techs at Telus that have suggested help outside of protocol. Policy or Protocol, help or suggestions should be given to the paying customer regardless.

ADSL through (Telus EDMONTON) since fall sucks....major slowdown since January 2001. This problem has not been resolved. And my slowdown has nothing to do with my distance, I am blocks away from Telus Tower.

Speed ordered-> 1.5Mps your basic home ADSL Telus offers

Equipment installed->3com Home Connect.... D-Link DE220 ISA PnP LAN adapter

I hope the techs realize one thing....most customers ordering service are not educated in technical matters (I included) nor are the customers experienced in resolving problems as they occour. Help and alot of patience is appreciated and it does not go unnoticed.

I still praise those who do go out of their protocoll to help the customer in need.

member for 14.8 years, 32 visits, last login: 13.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by Pacificat See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "speed, no disconnects, great tech support"
Overall "good value for the money"

I found that the availability of hookups was sparse, however I lucked out in that Telus had just finished training installers and upgraded equipment, so that instead of waiting up to 1 year for an installation I only had to wait for about 35 days.

When the installer arrived he proved to be courteous and efficient, they had just recieved a new shipment of 3Com home connect modems and so mine was right out of the box. It only took him about 20 minutes max to set me up and get me on my way. When he tested the system he was surprised to find that although I was at the very edge of the area for service that I had a very fast time.

When I contacted tech support for some help with configuration, he basically took over and instead of reading from the manual, all I had to do was follow his instructions over the phone and I was done in about 9 minutes and surfing.

I tried to set up a home network and screwed up my IP address and it took the tech about 40 minutes to get me up and running again, god bless her, she had incredible patience.

I purchased a hub so that I could hook up my sons computer to my internet connection and even though officially Telus Tech doesn't support hubs etc. the guy I talked to took pity on me and devoted a few minutes to helping me get my son up and running.

All in all I cannot say anything bad about Telus, and would recommend the service to anyone who can afford it.

Comments:

Review by wireme9 See Profile

• Location: Surrey,BC
Good "Excellent reliability!!"
Bad "1 minor thing: read the last paragraph of my review"
Overall "Definately worth every penny and then some"
(ratings well above consensus)

This review is from BC. The telco in question is Telus and the isp is www.telus.net

I phoned them up and they did a loop check on my phone to see if I wa within range for dsl service then they put me on the waiting list until the new lines were installed. I recieved an email stating they had a port for me about 2 months later and chose to buy the quick connect package; buy the dsl modem and self install. The self install was simple and only took 10 minutes! (but I already knew a lot about how it worked anyway)

6 days after the email (they told me 7) I was speeding along with 140KB/s downloads and 60KB/s up. The modem cost $309 + tax and came with a $200 service rebate credited to my account. There is no installation charge with the quick connect and the monthly fee is $34.99 for 2 dynamic IPs - 1.5Mbps downstream and 0.512 Mbps up.

The dsl modem is a 3Com Home Connect capable of up to 8Mbps down and 1Mbps up, so upgrading my account should be easy enough.

The mail server is reliable; it has never been down as far as I can tell and the news server is just as good as my $120 (US) / year service!!

The ONLY bad thing I can think of is this: The step-by-step self install instruction book did not mention the dsl modem's dip-switch settings in the step-by-step. Fortunately for me, the first thing I ever read when doing something like this is the Troubleshooting section so I know what the common mistakes are. This is where the dip-switch settings are located.

member for 14 years, 1 visits, last login: 14 years ago

Comments:

Review by gerhardius See Profile

• Location: V6H3r
Good "Speed, Service, Reliability"
Bad "None for me"
Overall "I am very happy"

I ordered DSL Professional ($49.95 plus $15.00 for ISP fee, but I avoided this needless charge), including a MainStreet Xpress 27020 modem and dynamic IP, when I moved into a new apartment in January 1999, and it was installed within the week. My timing was outstanding, as there were many open ports in my exchange. When I moved in with my girlfiend, I had no problem getting my service switched, I was without DSL for about 12 hours. Both times that the tech people came out they were very helpfull, and the second guy even tweaked my connection a little bit (the connection was above the Pro Minimum of 1.6/?) and I was getting nearly 1.8. After I fiddled with my setup a little bit, my speed comes out over 2.0/500. Just tested now and got 2125/50 with my router and firewall in place. Aside from the move, my service has been unavailable (that I am aware of) only three times: two their problem, one my problem. Having spread flowers at the feet of the DSL Goddess, I must aknowledge that I have had two friends experience problems getting service, and dealing with evasive sales people. The problem is the lmited number of ports available, but service is always "available soon" because "we are adding new ports in your area." I've compared my speed to friends with cable, and only on rare occassions are they faster. When we play online they are often getting only 1.1/250. Their numbers are subject to wide variation, but mine are pretty consistent. Shaw just took over @home in Vancouver, and they have begun the process of repairing what Rogers and @Home have damaged. I will keep an eye on how they can improve the system. The Initial installation fee was refunded after 12 months, in addition to a free month. I was not charged anything to move my DSL, nor was I charged an installation fee at place 2. Overall, my experience with Telus has made me a happy computer geek.

member for 14.1 years, 60 visits, last login: 13.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by twidge See Profile

• Location: St Albert,AB
Good "Incredibly fast download and upload speeds, low pings in games"
Bad "none that I can think of."
Overall "Amazing speed, cheaper than cable, if you buy a modem"

We had Videon cable since september of 98, and it started off very, VERY fast, with downloads hitting a peak of about 700 KB a second, and uploads at about 250 KB a second, but then as more people signed up with it, it got slower, and slower, and slower, and finally before christmas, I bought an ADSL modem and signed up for their service on the 21st. they connected me by the 23rd, and I installed it myself. I had some trouble getting it running, and it took me about 2 hours, then I finally phoned tech support and told them of my troubles, and they told me that I just had to connect to their server and verify my account, so I did that, and am now enjoying my 250-300 KB a second downloads, and 100 KB a second uploads, VS videon's roughly 20KB a second downloads (if I was lucky) and their 5 KB a second uploads. Although the dramatic difference in speed isn't as noticeable in areas where less people have cable, I am still totally impressed by my ADSl service, I love it.

Comments:

Review by Bozo23 See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Fast and Rock solid"
Bad "Customer Service cost me 9 months, Some techs good, others should stick with their day jobs."
Overall "I deplore Rogers , so for me this was the only choice"

I live in Vancouver and have had DSL now for 7 months. $39.95 plus tax/month for 1472 / 512 according to the installers test. Just did the simple registry tweak after so-so initial test and got a 1280/396 at peak time. Absolute ugly experience getting connected. Initially, a new Service rep who failed to register me cost me a 9 month wait after previously available ports were gone. Upon calling again after waiting a full month for a response after believing I was registered, I was informed they had no such record of this having taken place. I won't begin to tell you the lengths and times I spent on hold during this affair. Rogers wasn't looking all that bad at this point! Anyway, when the day arrived the installer was on time, quick, and knowledgeble. My connection is bulletproof, whereas my Telus dial-up was brutal. I used to marvel at our work's network speed; my home connection buries it.

In all fairness, times on hold now are minimal, (my father got DSL over the holidays and I spent a bit of time on the phone with their people) the people polite and reasonably knowledgeble. I still find Tier 1 service spotty. It depends who you get. I can see where the Average Joe could get himself in trouble, especially with the QuickConnect kit. To sum things up, if I had to go back to dial-up, I'd go without.

Comments:

Review by Escape24 See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Rock Solid Connection"
Bad "Long Waiting Periods For Customer Service"
Overall "Price/Performance has cable beat."

Connection: 2.5/640
Install: Home Connect

I was once a Shaw@home user in Victoria for 2 years $39.99. Was great and all, till everyone and there dog got online with Shaw. Now its just terrible for downloading speeds, and for online gaming. My email was always down, my download speeds were never higher than 60 Kilobytes per second near the end.

I bought the Home Connect kit for $299. Was online in 5 days no problems. Got the solid 1.5/512 connection, sometimes 1.6/600. No packet loss, and no email problems. I have never lost connection, email is never down, lower ping times. My download speeds are up around 170 Kilobytes, all for $34.99. I recently upped my package to the Pro package, and I see consistant speeds of 2.66/700 all the time. I couldn't be more happier, and my download speeds are always around 270-300 Kilobytes per second. And since I bought the home connect kit, I pay $59.99 per month instead of $64.99. The only thing Telus could really do to be better, is get SDSL, or VDSL on the go.

Cheers,
Escape.

Comments:

Review by cadonweb See Profile

• Location: Victoria,BC
Good "Extremely reliable, never lost packet or email, always fast"
Bad "Had to wait several months before a port was available"
Overall "I don't think @home can beat this service if their lives depended on it!"
(ratings well above consensus)

I was on Telus' dial-up service for almost a year before ADSL became available in my area. I thought of going with @home (Shaw in my area: Victoria) but I kept hearing too many horror stories about Rogers@home (just check out: »www.rhua.org) and the @home service in general all over North America. I thought Shaw would be better than Rogers so I decided to check their claims (2.8 Mbits/s) against what their customers actually got. I tested Shaw's speed on a couple of my friends' computers. The download speeds I saw were: Most of the time: 700 to 800 Kbits/s, peak times: 300 to 400 Kbits/s and very rarely: around 1 Mbit/sec. One of my friends also complained of losing the occasional email or packet. Now that I have ADSL, I'm glad I waited. Telus advertised a maximum download speed of 1.5 Mbits/s and upload speed of around 500 Kbits/s, I get consistent readings of 1.1 to 1.6 Mbits/s download speeds and 320 to 600 Kbits/s upload speeds. I have 2 dynamic IPs but they haven't changed since the first day.

I must add that the switch from dialup to ADSL was seamless, the technician was very knowledgeable and even helped me route two computers using a hub even though he wasn't really required to help me with any additional stuff. Had to call tech support once, the tech was very courteous and helpful and resolved my problem very promptly.

member for 14.2 years, 31 visits, last login: 13.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by Msan6 See Profile

• Location: Vernon, BC
Good "Great speed for the money"
Bad "Tech support"
Overall "I would do it again.."

I've been one of the first DSL customers in in our area. The connection speed is 4M/640K. This was a few years ago, and I still only pay $65, even though they changed all their plans and introduced the 1.5M connections (Glite?).
All in all I'm pretty happy with it, great download speeds (usually around 3M/550K) and very, very few outages.
The Dsl modem is a Newbridge Mainstreet Xpress 27020.
The Ip is dynamic.

member for 14.2 years, 122 visits, last login: 8.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by nerf7 See Profile

• Location: Fort Mcmurray,AB
Good "Excellent pre-sales (right down to what T-Shirt the installer would be wearing that day)"
Bad "STEADILY increasing pingtimes; long wait tmes on Tech Support line"
Overall "Not too shabby, although these pingtimes suck"

I've had Telus.net DSL since Feb. '00. All in all, I'm fairly impressed with the level of service I've received. As mentioned, the pre-sales support was incredible (after being a Shaw@Home customer, though, I guess anything could seem incredible). When the salespreson couldn't answer my question, she quickly forwarded me off to a senior tech so that I could get the answers I needed.

I was disappointed to find out I'd be getting one of these crappy 3Com HomeConnect things. 3Com leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth after they pulled the plug on 80% of their product line (don't even get me started =).

Installation was kind of a pain in the ass. I'm not sure how long I waited from Order to Install, as I was put on a waiting list due to availability for a little while, but it wasn't too bad. On the day the installer was supposed to show up, I made a point of leaving work early so that I could be there for the install.

I sat there for roughly 2 hours. He didn't show up. I phoned telus.net's sales line, and I was told that they'd get the installer to phone me with an ETA as he was running behind. When the installer phoned, he said, "Yeah, well I don't think I'm going to make it there today. I don't feel like it. I'm going to go get some coffee and go home." (and yes, that was what he said, verbatim).

Annoyed, I phoned Telus back and told them what had been said to me. Needless to say the installer wasn't all smiles when he arrived at my door 15 minutes later.

Performance wise, this thing has been pretty much rock-on until the beginning of October, 2000. Ping times have been STEADILY increasing, no matter which of Telus' gatewways I go through. When I phoned the tech support line (helpdesk), after being on hold for over an hour, someone finally got around to me. He was pleasant, seemed to understand the problem, but didn't offer a whole lot in terms of an answer or solution, other than e-mailing in some traceroutes. I guess it remains to be seen what the solution is, but with pingtimes that have gone from 80ms to 950ms in the past week, I'm worried that my perfect little DSL world is about to come tumbling down.