TELUS page on DSLReports

Review by twidge See Profile

• Location: St Albert,AB
Good "Incredibly fast download and upload speeds, low pings in games"
Bad "none that I can think of."
Overall "Amazing speed, cheaper than cable, if you buy a modem"

We had Videon cable since september of 98, and it started off very, VERY fast, with downloads hitting a peak of about 700 KB a second, and uploads at about 250 KB a second, but then as more people signed up with it, it got slower, and slower, and slower, and finally before christmas, I bought an ADSL modem and signed up for their service on the 21st. they connected me by the 23rd, and I installed it myself. I had some trouble getting it running, and it took me about 2 hours, then I finally phoned tech support and told them of my troubles, and they told me that I just had to connect to their server and verify my account, so I did that, and am now enjoying my 250-300 KB a second downloads, and 100 KB a second uploads, VS videon's roughly 20KB a second downloads (if I was lucky) and their 5 KB a second uploads. Although the dramatic difference in speed isn't as noticeable in areas where less people have cable, I am still totally impressed by my ADSl service, I love it.

Comments:

Review by Bozo23 See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Fast and Rock solid"
Bad "Customer Service cost me 9 months, Some techs good, others should stick with their day jobs."
Overall "I deplore Rogers , so for me this was the only choice"

I live in Vancouver and have had DSL now for 7 months. $39.95 plus tax/month for 1472 / 512 according to the installers test. Just did the simple registry tweak after so-so initial test and got a 1280/396 at peak time. Absolute ugly experience getting connected. Initially, a new Service rep who failed to register me cost me a 9 month wait after previously available ports were gone. Upon calling again after waiting a full month for a response after believing I was registered, I was informed they had no such record of this having taken place. I won't begin to tell you the lengths and times I spent on hold during this affair. Rogers wasn't looking all that bad at this point! Anyway, when the day arrived the installer was on time, quick, and knowledgeble. My connection is bulletproof, whereas my Telus dial-up was brutal. I used to marvel at our work's network speed; my home connection buries it.

In all fairness, times on hold now are minimal, (my father got DSL over the holidays and I spent a bit of time on the phone with their people) the people polite and reasonably knowledgeble. I still find Tier 1 service spotty. It depends who you get. I can see where the Average Joe could get himself in trouble, especially with the QuickConnect kit. To sum things up, if I had to go back to dial-up, I'd go without.

Comments:

Review by Escape24 See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Rock Solid Connection"
Bad "Long Waiting Periods For Customer Service"
Overall "Price/Performance has cable beat."

Connection: 2.5/640
Install: Home Connect

I was once a Shaw@home user in Victoria for 2 years $39.99. Was great and all, till everyone and there dog got online with Shaw. Now its just terrible for downloading speeds, and for online gaming. My email was always down, my download speeds were never higher than 60 Kilobytes per second near the end.

I bought the Home Connect kit for $299. Was online in 5 days no problems. Got the solid 1.5/512 connection, sometimes 1.6/600. No packet loss, and no email problems. I have never lost connection, email is never down, lower ping times. My download speeds are up around 170 Kilobytes, all for $34.99. I recently upped my package to the Pro package, and I see consistant speeds of 2.66/700 all the time. I couldn't be more happier, and my download speeds are always around 270-300 Kilobytes per second. And since I bought the home connect kit, I pay $59.99 per month instead of $64.99. The only thing Telus could really do to be better, is get SDSL, or VDSL on the go.

Cheers,
Escape.

Comments:

Review by cadonweb See Profile

• Location: Victoria,BC
Good "Extremely reliable, never lost packet or email, always fast"
Bad "Had to wait several months before a port was available"
Overall "I don't think @home can beat this service if their lives depended on it!"

I was on Telus' dial-up service for almost a year before ADSL became available in my area. I thought of going with @home (Shaw in my area: Victoria) but I kept hearing too many horror stories about Rogers@home (just check out: »www.rhua.org) and the @home service in general all over North America. I thought Shaw would be better than Rogers so I decided to check their claims (2.8 Mbits/s) against what their customers actually got. I tested Shaw's speed on a couple of my friends' computers. The download speeds I saw were: Most of the time: 700 to 800 Kbits/s, peak times: 300 to 400 Kbits/s and very rarely: around 1 Mbit/sec. One of my friends also complained of losing the occasional email or packet. Now that I have ADSL, I'm glad I waited. Telus advertised a maximum download speed of 1.5 Mbits/s and upload speed of around 500 Kbits/s, I get consistent readings of 1.1 to 1.6 Mbits/s download speeds and 320 to 600 Kbits/s upload speeds. I have 2 dynamic IPs but they haven't changed since the first day.

I must add that the switch from dialup to ADSL was seamless, the technician was very knowledgeable and even helped me route two computers using a hub even though he wasn't really required to help me with any additional stuff. Had to call tech support once, the tech was very courteous and helpful and resolved my problem very promptly.

member for 13.6 years, 31 visits, last login: 13.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by Msan6 See Profile

• Location: Vernon, BC
Good "Great speed for the money"
Bad "Tech support"
Overall "I would do it again.."

I've been one of the first DSL customers in in our area. The connection speed is 4M/640K. This was a few years ago, and I still only pay $65, even though they changed all their plans and introduced the 1.5M connections (Glite?).
All in all I'm pretty happy with it, great download speeds (usually around 3M/550K) and very, very few outages.
The Dsl modem is a Newbridge Mainstreet Xpress 27020.
The Ip is dynamic.

Comments:

Review by nerf7 See Profile

• Location: Fort Mcmurray,AB
Good "Excellent pre-sales (right down to what T-Shirt the installer would be wearing that day)"
Bad "STEADILY increasing pingtimes; long wait tmes on Tech Support line"
Overall "Not too shabby, although these pingtimes suck"

I've had Telus.net DSL since Feb. '00. All in all, I'm fairly impressed with the level of service I've received. As mentioned, the pre-sales support was incredible (after being a Shaw@Home customer, though, I guess anything could seem incredible). When the salespreson couldn't answer my question, she quickly forwarded me off to a senior tech so that I could get the answers I needed.

I was disappointed to find out I'd be getting one of these crappy 3Com HomeConnect things. 3Com leaves me with a sour taste in my mouth after they pulled the plug on 80% of their product line (don't even get me started =).

Installation was kind of a pain in the ass. I'm not sure how long I waited from Order to Install, as I was put on a waiting list due to availability for a little while, but it wasn't too bad. On the day the installer was supposed to show up, I made a point of leaving work early so that I could be there for the install.

I sat there for roughly 2 hours. He didn't show up. I phoned telus.net's sales line, and I was told that they'd get the installer to phone me with an ETA as he was running behind. When the installer phoned, he said, "Yeah, well I don't think I'm going to make it there today. I don't feel like it. I'm going to go get some coffee and go home." (and yes, that was what he said, verbatim).

Annoyed, I phoned Telus back and told them what had been said to me. Needless to say the installer wasn't all smiles when he arrived at my door 15 minutes later.

Performance wise, this thing has been pretty much rock-on until the beginning of October, 2000. Ping times have been STEADILY increasing, no matter which of Telus' gatewways I go through. When I phoned the tech support line (helpdesk), after being on hold for over an hour, someone finally got around to me. He was pleasant, seemed to understand the problem, but didn't offer a whole lot in terms of an answer or solution, other than e-mailing in some traceroutes. I guess it remains to be seen what the solution is, but with pingtimes that have gone from 80ms to 950ms in the past week, I'm worried that my perfect little DSL world is about to come tumbling down.

Comments:

Review by mudchucker See Profile

Good "good speed"
Bad "tech help is lacking"
Overall "better than cable any day"

1.5mbs down/512kbs up

$39.95 they installed

Waiting list was good, was told 2 months, got it 2 weeks early

2 dynamic ip's addr( acting like static though)

I've have Telus ADSL for a few months now, after completing registry tweaks with the help of DSLreport.com and trial and error(NO HELP WHAT SO EVER FROM TELUS TECH'S) the techs didn't even know how to add numbers to a person's registry setting's to get the proper speeds for your package. I have increased my download speeds from 468kbs to 1.2mbs(no lie). But NOW after 2 months of good speeds, ping rates are starting to go up now ON MY LINE, I thought I was the only one who used this line, I am the only one who uses my phone. I used to be a stable 39ms, but now it's getting as high as 130ms. If I wanted 130ms ping rates I would have stayed with my 56 dialup which I got 109ms ping rates with. Ping rates are still reasonable but hey, "I'm paying for it, I want it". Now I called and asked SALES, they referred me to the TECH dept., I have been trying for the past TWO days to get through, but a guy can only put up with that stupid voice recording for so long, "thanks for holding, your call will be answered faster than dialing again." WRONG, it don't get answered at all. And if you DO need help about advanced ISSUES, they can't help you. In the long run, Telus ADSL is VERY good, I've stated my issues as you just read, they just need better tech SUPPORT.

High ping rates that went above 1000ms, have been solved, problem with Sprintlink.net and I guess a bad router(S)

DON'T get cablerocket if you live in the Grande PRairie area and can get TELUS, they just absolutely SUCK and in town support is null.

member for 13.7 years, 4531 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by deBare See Profile

• Location: V2X0W
Good "Never down"
Bad "Could always be cheaper"
Overall "Better than cable!! g@home"

Been an ADSL customer with Telus (formely BCTel, formerly Sympatico) fr a couple of years now. Definitely better than cable.

Comments:

Review by allano See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Quick install with QuickConnect service; very good speed;"
Bad "Long waiting list to get service; typical (a bit confusing) documentation"
Overall "Highly recommended"

Ordered 1.5Mbit/512kbit basic service using QuickCOnnect pkg (do-it-yourself with no on-site installer) -- purchased C$309 3COM modem & C$30 NIC -- get C$159 credit on ADSL charges and C$5 off monthly charge so only C$35. (C$ = US$.67)
Process was:
1) Wait on a list
2) Get e-mail to register
3) Call customer service, order service, get ID/Pswd/e-mail; give credit card
4) Purchase ethernet NIC and 3COM ADSL-Ethernet modem
5) Install NIC, modem, put supplied filters on analog devices on the line
6) Wait 5 business days for ADSL
7) See green ADSL indicator on modem after only 4 days!
8) Complete registration online to activate service
9) Connect to DSLReports.com to get tweaks and run tests.

Service is dynamic IP (DHCP)

member for 13.7 years, 135 visits, last login: 7.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by zone8 See Profile

• Location: Langley,BC
Good "pre=sales had all answers about payment program and box contents; used self-install, only 20 minutes; account activation 1 min"
Bad "manual does not deal with pre-installed IE 5.5 browser; cd wants to install 5.01; line speed slow in heavy hours, 950k otherwise"
Overall "killer value at $US 99 for the 3com modem and $US 22 per month"

Vendor is Telus (BC Canada) Details covered in the panels. Good value and solid help. No snags. Slow speeds in evening hours. Tried cable and this is much better and cheaper. 2 Static IP's supplied. Self-install ran fine from manual. Waiting list was 2-years plus, though.