TELUS page on DSLReports

Review by ctylor See Profile

• Location: Nelson,BC
Good "Quality, Reliable, Decent Pings, Bit Torrent Friendly, High Caps"
Bad "Big Giant Company, Stuck in a Contract"
Overall "Decent Value Compared to Shaw in places that offer Turbo 15 and Turbo 25"

I liked them in general as an ISP. I had a strong VDSL high speed connection with them because I was lucky enough to have fibre optic to my local central office. As a result in most respects except for absolute high speeds, the connection quality and reliability was equal to or superior than what Shaw would have offered.

I did have to get TV (Optik) to get a bundle discount, otherwise add +$5 extra for internet, plus I had to get a 3 year contract in order to get the $15/month HD-PVR cable box fee waived. When you do it like that, you become a quasi-loyal customer, but you also don't get any of the crazy deals available to switch. And Telus and Shaw always beg you to switch when you're not their customer. So I sort of regret that alas.

The best secondary benefits to Telus VDSL was no bit torrent throttling (like Shaw does) and no enforced monthly transfer cap (although that may have changed recently but I had this connection back in the glory days of unmetered downloading).

Comments:

Review by Nick1996 See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Uptime, good ping, and consistent speeds"
Bad "Try to force all-in-one modems and their customer service is made for basic users."
Overall "Good prices and service."

I am on the Telus High Speed Turbo package (15 Mb/s down and 1 Mb/s up) and I get a ping of 20-30 ms, 12.3 Mb/s down (used to be 14.5 Mb/s), and 0.80 Mb/s up. I am about 1.6 km from the DSLAM serving me in south-west Edmonton, AB. I have ADSL2+ and have been told that I cannot currently get High Speed Turbo 25 (I am guessing they probably won't upgrade the area because it is well over 60 years old and the phone lines haven't ever been replaced as far as I know. On a side note, Telus uses VDSL2 for Turbo 25.)

The package I am on costs $50.39 bundled. I also have a home phone, satellite T.V., and a BlackBerry (unfortunately Telus Mobility and Telus are actually different companies on a corporate level and nothing can be done between them deal-wise or something like that). High Speed Turbo unbundled is $55.00.

I am extremely happy with Telus's internet service. I have had Telus for over 4 years and only recall it going down once for about 3 hours. When the service was down, I called Telus and asked if they were aware of the problem. They were, and said they were working on it. The speeds are consistent and pings are great.

The only problems I have with Telus are their modems, and customer service. The modems Telus provides are always all-in-one modem/router combos. That being said, their current Actiontec V1000h is amazing for the average person and is almost perfect for me, gigabit ethernet, and 802.11n 20/40 Mhz (wireless N 300), but I prefer to have total control over my local network, so I use a Thomson Speedtouch ST516v6 modem from Telus that feeds my Linksys e3200. I have two ST516v6 modems, one as backup. I love my setup! Now onto customer service... I understand that it is obviously for the average person that knows next to nothing about their internet connection, but when I call, I prefer to get straight to the point and I often confuse their representatives. I really wish they had a number that advanced users could call (but then I suppose many people would think they are advanced when they aren't even close)

member for 2.3 years, 839 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com

20 to 30 is slow pings

Telus has always been known for slow ping rates as far back as i can remember. Better check out pings times from other isp's around the world.

Review by Zac See Profile

• Location: Hanna,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Fast, reliable, and good Tech Support."
Bad "Took a couple calls to update our plan, but eventually got done! (see below)"
Overall "Pleased with the support and speed."

*******April 25 2003 Update:*******
Called Telus about DSL about the 10th of April... DSL date was the 25th (today) the installer took about 45 minutes total to run a new line to our house and hook up the DSL. I get 1.5mbit down 550 kbit up.. Going to upgrade to the enhanced plan maybe in a week or so... I believe were getting it for about $30 - $35... Dynamic IP. And its EXTREMELY speedy!

Telus has been nothing but good for us. We have a D-Link DSL-300G modem, works great. Hasn't had any sync problems.

*******May 6 2003 Update:*******
It's now May 6th, and My modem hasn't lost sync even once... My service has been consistently fast... And I've been really enjoying DSL Coming from Bell ExpressVu DirecPC, with 19.2 bps modem upload... This is amazing... Still loving it! We ordered the enhanced package about a week ago, and just called yesterday, they said they had us subscribed, but didn't switch the port we were on... And that's supposed to be done today... But hey, Even with the base plan, still amazingly fast...

*******May 7 2003 Update:*******
It's now May 7th, and We called Telus once again, and they upgraded our line to the Velocity Enhanced within an hour of the call... Their one system said we had it already, but the other was still on just Velocity... That was sorted out... Now my speed tests are 2.5mbit down... 270 kb/sec, and 720 kbit up... 90 KB/sec uploading... Telus is THE BOMB...

2003-05-07 14:57:37 Speed test (wc) 1459/731 kbps
2003-05-07 14:07:56 Speed test (sea.speakeasy.net) 2047/0 kbps

*******July 23 2003 Update*******
Just got Server 2.5 plan, The upgrade went fairly smoothly, though they've been having problem with their OCA site. Upgraded 4 or 5 days ago actually, only 1 computer got assigned an IP address... So we called maybe 3 times, each time they tried something, Last night called again, and they reset the account (no IP's on either computer) waited 5 or 6 hours, still no IP's.. So we called once again, a very nice guy came on, Said it would probably be best to just try waiting a little... Due to my ips were probably in queue, and if he reset my account, id go to the end of the line... So i held off, woke up this morning, Both computers have Static IP's now. So I'm pretty happy. Speed tests seem a little better than the Enhanced 2.5... and Pings are faster. I can ping my friends in Florida at 98ms (from Alberta)

Down: 2.2mbit
Up: 760kbit

Here's a tracert to dslreports.

Tracing route to dslreports.com [209.123.109.175]

15 74 ms 76 ms 72 ms www.dslreports.com [209.123.109.175]

Trace complete.

So far so good.

*******January 24 2004 Update*******
Everything still running smooth, Upload went down about 100kbit, but that was because I lucked out before, and it synced 100 kbit faster than it should have (864 kbit) now its synced at 768 kbit... Download is exactly the same... 2000 kbit...

Pings are still incredibly stable

Tracing route to dslreports.com [209.123.109.175]

17 71 ms 70 ms 71 ms www.dslreports.com [209.123.109.175]

Trace complete.

It's all good...

*******May 30 2010 Update*******
Telus recently installed ADSL2+ equipment to my area, though I had issues going up to 15mbps. Server plan + Residential line = failure now. I only had one main option and that was to move my one phone line to a business account in order to upgrade to the 15mbit plan, Otherwise I was bumped from 3mbit to 6mbit once I was switched to an ADSL2+ Port, and boy was that a nice little bump. I'm really looking forward to the next jump.

Speeds are consistent 24/7 again, and so are pings. (I previously was having issues starting a few months back where speed and pings went crazy after 5pm, but I'm guessing the older ADSL equipment, or the port I was on must have been overloaded.)

I'm in the process of being upgraded, and hopefully will be all sorted out in the week to come. Thanks to the Telus Tech guys and support that have tried their best, and the ones currently helping!

*******June 01 2010 Update*******
Had a second internet connection hooked up while I wait for my 'Business Line' to be sorted out, and all I can really say is WOW.
Second line synced at a steady 15mbps, and from most sites I can get about 12-13mbps download speed, and 900kb upload. Absolutely amazing!

1.45MB/sec download speed, It makes my heart race. Very consistent speeds day and night, and great pings. Once I get my main line sorted out and have 15mbit setup on it, I'll probably cancel this second one after a month or two, as I don't think I need dual connections after experiencing this speed first hand.
(Originally I was playing around with/testing pfSense, and it turned out to be a massive pain in the butt. The dual wan settings kept only using the slower 6mbit connection, even when I changed the WAN lines around, so I'm dropping that test.) Once I cancel this one, I'll stick with my good old Soekris 5501 running m0n0wall.

Overall, I'm very happy.

*******June 08 2010 Update*******
Got my Server Line all finished and setup. But not without a couple of hiccups towards the end. After Telus switched my Phone line from Residential to Business, They changed my internet plan from the 'Server' plan to the 'Office' plan, taking away my Static IP's (On the registerdevice site... Though I did have my 15mbps speed. Thanks to a Tech that I became familiar with, he was able to help me out within a couple minutes, got me back on the right plan, though I lost my Static IP during the process. He said he'd call a friend of his within Telus that could get my IP back, and within 2 hours I had my original IP back.

Now hopefully I won't have to bug anyone for awhile. Speeds are extremely consistent, and so are pings. Though my SNRM Stats changed once they swapped me from Residential to Business, which is kind of strange.

I'm now a very happy camper, and send my thanks to everyone that got this worked out!

Server Plan on Residential Line:

Server Plan swapped over to Business Line:

Secondary 'Turbo' connection on other Residential Line:

*******May 24 2012 Update*******
Telus recently launched VDSL2 earlier this year, initially only to Residential customers. I had contemplated buying it on my residential line until it was offered on the business side, but held off.

Found out it was available around March, and started talking with a tech friend trying to figure how I could get it, as 3 calls to Telus resulted in nothing. I got a callback several weeks after asking if my issue was resolved, I told them nothing had started at all in beginning to get me set up, They asked if I wanted to talk to a supervisor, I told him yes, but never got a call from the supervisor. Waited another month before calling my contact in Telus Business Support, (Which is what I need to start doing right from the beginning instead, Lesson learned.) She got me hooked up with an install date (which was today) and I requested a Bridged Modem, she said it wouldn't be a problem and I'd be provided with an ALU 7130.
Tech showed up with an Actiontech, telling me he wasn't instructed otherwise, No big deal I'll get it sorted out. He changed some stuff in my NID, Put a new splitter in, hooked me up with the Actiontech, initially with speeds 15/1... A quick call and I was at 25.5/6.5. (Extremely Impressed, as its advertised as 25/5 on the Telus Business site.)

Not completely sure what the price is yet, but I was told my old plan was around $85 a month, and I believe this one will be $105 a month, which is completely worth it, even if just for 8x the upload speed of my previous connection.

He did a little more calling and said he'd order me an ALU modem and it should be in by tomorrow, or monday by the latest. He then told me there was one last modem one town 40min away, and that he'd go and pick it up for me, Bonus! The tech went above and beyond what he had to, and got me completely set up with exactly what I needed.

Overall a great experience other than the wait time, but that was partially my fault for not following up and/or calling my Business Rep from the beginning.

Here is a visual graph from Speedtest.net of my historical speed and increase of Download and Upload.

member for 13 years, 3298 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bimmerdriver See Profile

• Location: Coquitlam,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Excellent system, good value for money"
Bad "Terrible order processing"
Overall "I'm happy with Telus and have no plans to switch"

The price includes the following:

Telephone with

ALU 7130
D-Link 3810
PVR
STB

I like Telus and Optik is a great product, but Telus has a truly pathetic order processing system. The original install was from Telus telephone and Telus ADSL. (Cable was Shaw.) When the installed Optik, I was without email for over a week and it took another week to restore my old email. Telus compensated me for the outage. When I upgraded from 2HD/1SD to 3HD/1SD, the service went out for several days. Telus compensated me for the outage. When 25/3 was offered, it took numerous calls to get the upgrade completed. Later on, my service was arbitrarily downgraded to 15/1 due to DSL express which to this day thinks my line is not adequate for a 25/3 profile. The telephone service is excellent. The Optik TV service is excellent, except for the outage when the service was upgraded to 3HD/1SD. Normally the internet service is excellent. I am also getting some loyalty discounts.

member for 3.8 years, 828 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by SHA1 See Profile

Good "Very reliable connection. I get 23.77 Mbps down and 2.77 Mbps up 24x7x365"
Bad "Telus' choice of CPE (Actiontec) doesn't allow nerds like me to use my own gear easily."
Overall "Telus works well for me. YMMV."

I have tried both Shaw and Telus and I prefer Telus because of the rock solid Internet connection and the fact that I actually get the speeds I pay for 24x7. The service has been very reliable for me and I really have no complaints.

Comments:

Review by carmelo See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Great improvment over Shaw"
Bad "Forced to use crippled modem/router"

I switched to Telus from Shaw to take advantage of an attractive promotion. After achieving complete independence from the providers, I thought it would be good to try different providers. I subscribed to a promotional package (15-15-15) where for the first year one pays $15 for TV, $15 for Phone and $15 for internet. Being with a Voip provider I did not need to phone so went with TV+Internet. With the cable boxes and a few additional channell my total came to about $60/month for the first year. This compares quite favourbly against Shaw. Shaw started a similar promotion much later, but it does not last a year, rather 3 months.

Installation took a long time, mostly because the tech was saying the Telus TV can be quite finnicky if the line is not clean enough. So it involved some re-wiring. One has a choice of network cable or coax to the TV box, but the choice will largely depend on the layout of the existing wires. It took about 4 hour to get things right and the tech was very nice (I was helping out too).

First the good news: speed improved drammatically over Shaw's extreme internet. All of a sudden, my torrents downloaded in a matter of minutes as opposed to hours (I now wonder if Shaw throttle torrent traffic and Telus doesn't?). We aren't heavy TV watchers, so I have not noticed an impact on the internet when HD programming is being watched, although I am told that can be an issue.

TV and HD works great and the box has a much more polished and sophisticated interface than Shaw's (it uses a flavour of MS Windows). An iPhone app exist to remotly set recordings on the TV.

Now the bad news: if you want TV you are forced to use on of Telus' crippled modem/router. In truth is not the actual modem that's crippled but rather the firmware Telus installs. If you have anything beyond a basic network, you will cry. The modem does not allow you to do anything much beyond wireless encryption. Really. You cannot exchange it for something else. With some luck I was able to access certain hidden and unsupported features that allowed me to implement some basic features I needed. However, a recent update has blocked that too.

Downtime, I have only experienced it once for about 1 hour. Tech support, I never needed it, but I don;t expect them to be overly knowledgeable. Overall I've been quite happy except for the modem.

Comments:

Review by freddy25 See Profile

• Location: Hanna,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "consistant d/l speeds, 25 mb service to rural alberta town."
Bad "Poor modem/router combo's dropping connection. Crippled software"
Overall "Best option for high speed internet available at my location"

Telus offered the highest speeds available for my rural location. When i first got connected i was at 3mb d/l with a 2 wire modem/router. Currently have a SE567 with 15mb d/l. Have upgraded to 25mb d/l to be installed in a week (actiontec). Connection has been very stable with two exceptions,(fiber was cut due to construction and QoS locking me at 1.5mb d/l)

One thing to keep in mind is to keep reviewing the prices. I have called in and found out that new upgrades are available and on occasion are cheaper than what i was currently paying for the lower speed service.

Comments:

Review by ncbnetworks See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Telus has been GOOD to us"

Have 6 line Centrex system, fax line and ADSL and we own our phones.

Receiving 4 MB downloads on 6 MB plan. Minor glitch on upgrade from 3 MB plan. Telus is very customer oriented...IF...you call them. Otherwise the status quo will remain forever. With new deals popping up regularly it's up to the customer to react.

Tech support above average, but YOU need to know what questions to ask especially as it relates to service downtime.

Comments:

Review by Mango See Profile

• Location: www.toao.net
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Good field techs, high quality bandwidth, good uptime"
Bad "Poor install coordination, mainly inept phone reps, 'up to' speeds"

·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw
I had an interesting time ordering Telus internet for my new residence. I called them and was told they would send me a modem to set up, and the service would be installed in 2-3 days. I told them I'd think about it and call them back. When I called back, they told me a technician would need to be dispatched and therefore the earliest the service could be installed was 1-2 weeks. I told them I was no longer interested.

I received a call a few hours later asking if I would reconsider if they would "try" to install the service within three days. I told them to go for it. They stated a technician would be dispatched and would bring the modem with him.

The morning of the appointment, I called in to find out approximately what time the technician would arrive. They told me that no technician had been dispatched and that the modem would be mailed to me.

Fortunately, I didn't go out, as a technician arrived 30 minutes later.

He had no modem.

I'd thought ahead and borrowed a spare modem, so we used that for testing purposes. My upload synced at 640 kbps, and he wanted to improve that without even my asking. He installed a new demarc and also a ground wire. Then he installed a microfilter at the demarc so that the phone jacks were isolated from the DSL jacks. This brought my speeds up to what was advertised. Ping time is on the high side but consistent, speeds are consistently good, and based on history uptime is admirable.

The best news is that I disconnected service at my old residence more than 90 days ago, so they allowed me to have the promotional pricing.

member for 5.7 years, 3421 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by kylez See Profile

• Telco party Telus
Good "Constant speed, get what you pay for."
Bad "Manager: Each time you call in you're costing us Money. Maybe it would be better if we just terminate the service."
Overall "No bandwidth overage charges, really poor uptime."

I considered many options before switching to Telus, I was thinking about Shaw back in the day (9 years ago) however their speed was way too inconsistent for me. At the beginning I ordered Telus High Speed 1.5mbps down 1mbps up for $45, the downtime was absolutely terrible for the first 2 years (Down for hours, and once a day), however after that my line has been 100% solid and have not once had my line go down. I upgraded to 6/1 a couple years ago and have not looked back. At first I rented the 3com ADSL modem from Telus as at the time their other modems were complete garbage, a couple years later Telus gave me the modem for free, and started lowering my monthly price starting with $5 and going all the way up to $15 off monthly for $30 monthly. Later I had upgraded to 6/1 and managed to save $5 a month with a price match with Teksavvy. One day a Siemens 567 modem showed up on my front door step, literally. I unpacked it thinking it would be even better than my 3com modem, oh boy was I wrong. This thing was completely borked, it was a mucked up Router/Modem combination that specialized in unstable sync rates, and dropping packets. Later I demanded that I have a Speedtouch 516v6 shipped to my house or I would cancel. I was seriously at this point after being a Telus customer for 8 years, as they couldn't even grace me with a decent modem. Don't get me wrong the 3com was awesome, however the upload speed on it was atrocious (Something like 412kbps). I would like to thank the cancellation department, I have to say 90% of everyone in tech support does not know what they're talking about. Every time I had called Tech Support they were completely useless, and clueless. However, the employees that do help out people on this forum seem quite knowledgeable, and extremely helpful. They're honestly what have kept me with Telus all these years, and hopefully for many more.

Update for Turbo 25:

Well, I guess I moved to Turbo 25 a bit early. Some TS reps still don't know what it is, nor know that you need a VDSL modem for it. I guess I'm partially at fault for not asking for a new modem (They assumed a Siemens 567 would work just fine, which was on file that I had). But any who, I was down for a week~ish after initially transferring. Then constant instability for four or so months (Including Today, and probably the future) using an Actiontec/ALU. Reps insisted I just keep calling back each time I have a problem, so I did. Again and again. Then I went on a crusade trying to get an ALU from Telus (This was a bit brutal. However, I only did call in when I lost sync). Eventually I did get the unit, just not as one would typically expect. The drop outs started to get really bad, so bad that I couldn't stay synced for over an hour. I called Telus and asked for a manager to call me back. He examined how many times I called in (Exceeded 20+ times within 4 months), then proceeded to say if I call in again, regardless of what it is, Telus would terminate my service and cancel my account. After being a High Speed client for well over 9 years (20+ With BC Tel for Phone), one would expect to not be shown the door when they're having critical service issues. But oh well, the company demeanor seems to have changed significantly over the past 10 years. Shaw is a viable substitute at the moment so that's holding me up with Telus.

I noticed I didn't mention peering in the initial review. During the day/evening there's gross over saturation if you're leaving the country (ie The States). On a regular day there will be at least a 20ms difference between the day and night (5AM). On a shared holiday, or major US holiday, I've had up to a 200ms hike in latency (On top of what's there initially).

Anyone else have a similar experience? Everyone on DSLReports really seems to know their stuff and are extraordinarily helpful. Every time I call in it's pulling teeth, and since the Manager explicitly told me to piss off. I'm really in a rut being run over by the company vehicle.