TELUS page on DSLReports

Review by kylez See Profile

• Telco party Telus
Good "Constant speed, get what you pay for."
Bad "Manager: Each time you call in you're costing us Money. Maybe it would be better if we just terminate the service."
Overall "No bandwidth overage charges, really poor uptime."

I considered many options before switching to Telus, I was thinking about Shaw back in the day (9 years ago) however their speed was way too inconsistent for me. At the beginning I ordered Telus High Speed 1.5mbps down 1mbps up for $45, the downtime was absolutely terrible for the first 2 years (Down for hours, and once a day), however after that my line has been 100% solid and have not once had my line go down. I upgraded to 6/1 a couple years ago and have not looked back. At first I rented the 3com ADSL modem from Telus as at the time their other modems were complete garbage, a couple years later Telus gave me the modem for free, and started lowering my monthly price starting with $5 and going all the way up to $15 off monthly for $30 monthly. Later I had upgraded to 6/1 and managed to save $5 a month with a price match with Teksavvy. One day a Siemens 567 modem showed up on my front door step, literally. I unpacked it thinking it would be even better than my 3com modem, oh boy was I wrong. This thing was completely borked, it was a mucked up Router/Modem combination that specialized in unstable sync rates, and dropping packets. Later I demanded that I have a Speedtouch 516v6 shipped to my house or I would cancel. I was seriously at this point after being a Telus customer for 8 years, as they couldn't even grace me with a decent modem. Don't get me wrong the 3com was awesome, however the upload speed on it was atrocious (Something like 412kbps). I would like to thank the cancellation department, I have to say 90% of everyone in tech support does not know what they're talking about. Every time I had called Tech Support they were completely useless, and clueless. However, the employees that do help out people on this forum seem quite knowledgeable, and extremely helpful. They're honestly what have kept me with Telus all these years, and hopefully for many more.

Update for Turbo 25:

Well, I guess I moved to Turbo 25 a bit early. Some TS reps still don't know what it is, nor know that you need a VDSL modem for it. I guess I'm partially at fault for not asking for a new modem (They assumed a Siemens 567 would work just fine, which was on file that I had). But any who, I was down for a week~ish after initially transferring. Then constant instability for four or so months (Including Today, and probably the future) using an Actiontec/ALU. Reps insisted I just keep calling back each time I have a problem, so I did. Again and again. Then I went on a crusade trying to get an ALU from Telus (This was a bit brutal. However, I only did call in when I lost sync). Eventually I did get the unit, just not as one would typically expect. The drop outs started to get really bad, so bad that I couldn't stay synced for over an hour. I called Telus and asked for a manager to call me back. He examined how many times I called in (Exceeded 20+ times within 4 months), then proceeded to say if I call in again, regardless of what it is, Telus would terminate my service and cancel my account. After being a High Speed client for well over 9 years (20+ With BC Tel for Phone), one would expect to not be shown the door when they're having critical service issues. But oh well, the company demeanor seems to have changed significantly over the past 10 years. Shaw is a viable substitute at the moment so that's holding me up with Telus.

I noticed I didn't mention peering in the initial review. During the day/evening there's gross over saturation if you're leaving the country (ie The States). On a regular day there will be at least a 20ms difference between the day and night (5AM). On a shared holiday, or major US holiday, I've had up to a 200ms hike in latency (On top of what's there initially).

Anyone else have a similar experience? Everyone on DSLReports really seems to know their stuff and are extraordinarily helpful. Every time I call in it's pulling teeth, and since the Manager explicitly told me to piss off. I'm really in a rut being run over by the company vehicle.

Comments:

Review by bornav See Profile

• Location: Richmond,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Extremely reliable. Fast competitive service. Good hardware. Stable."
Bad "Cant run a web server as ISP blocks server ports on home packages."
Overall "If you have a hard time getting a steady and reliable connection via cable, this is your solution."

Could not get a steady connection from Shaw Cable at our location. The location was too congested and although Shaw attempted to help, it was apparent that the connection stability was not going to be resolved anytime in the near future. Couldn't even stream YouTube HD during peak hours.

Called into Telus to have the new Optik TV and Internet installed. Could not be happier. Great value and the connection does not drop off during peak hours. They even replaced perfectly fine copper lines that went from our house all the way to the next block. The reason for this was that the "inspector" will be unhappy if the installer did not replace the old copper. He had to climb up on 3-4 power poles and run new copper.

Also, this specific installer catered to every one of my requests during the installation and even let me do half the work so it would be done just the way i wanted it.

Sure enough a few days later, an inspector showed up to review the installation and make sure it was done properly. This was most likely to avoid costly issues down the road when customers run into problems that are on their end.

Overall, A+ service in my book.

We have had the service nearly 4-5 months now.

member for 11.4 years, 101 visits, last login: 1.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by killthraka See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "TV product is very good better then Shaw,"
Bad "Presales was a little confusing."
Overall "Awesome deal for the money"

Awesome deal for the money.

Comments:

Review by Old Koot See Profile

• Location: Quathiaski Cove,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Technical support in Canada via TelusTV options"
Bad "Offshore call centers"
Overall "Good service once you know how to workaround calling them."

Compared to the local Gulf Islands Cable, Telus is absolutely excellent ......... the only issue with Telus is that they undersold their availability. Consequently, I wasted a year with a cable connection, and ten years on Dial-Up.
Now I have effectively 5.52Mb download on my 6.0Mb service at my location exactly three miles away from the "Central Office" DSLAM unit (Telus electronically measures it as just over 10,000 feet) and my line loss was measured at 61 decibels.
My Quality of Service as determined by MySpeed.VisualWare is consistently 99%.

Comments:

Review by mauriceh See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Turbo25 VDSL - FAST!"
Bad "Customer support - Epic fail; Supplied Actiontec router, wanted a modem"
Overall "I privately found a better modem, and support from the community"

Telus is marketing their "Turbo25" product.
It is the basis for their Telus Optik TV and can be had separately for DSL broadband only.
When they installed they upgraded the physical wiring in the premises ( GOOD!)
The install had NO CLUE about connection, setup, or anything else. Just handed me a box with an Actiontec V1000H in it.
I learned fast that one HAS to connect directly, with a Windows PC, and open a browser, to download a stupid "install" program that registers the MAC.
Now I get a connection.
Great, now the MAC of my laptop is the registered device.
I call them, to release it and they admit that the "tool" they need to release a MAC from an account is not yet functioning!
I get into the Actiontec setup and I am not so happy.
All the advanced functions I need are locked out on the custom Telus firmware.
I found modified firmware and that opened things up a lot.
Still, if you reboot or power off the device it will take upwards of 2 hours to get a full connection again.
One in a while they arbitrarily assign a new DHCP lease, and I am out of commission for about 2 hours.
I really did not want this crappy NAT router/ wireless router device.
I asked them fr a straight modem, and they ranged from thinking they can do this, then finding they can not, ione girl even insisted that a Thomson Speedtouch would work as a VDSL device.
Wrong.
I eventually find that an ALU Cellpipe 7130 CAN be run, and in bridged mode.
Telus used to supply them ,but these have been discontinued, so no joy from Telus.
Eventually I found one for sale from a Bell customer down east.
So I am now setting that up.

In general, if you are on this service , be prepared to:
1) Entirely self support
2) Go to the community for answers, when there are any.

If you need something resembling tech support, Telus is NOT for you!

However, the actual network performance is pretty darned good.
I steadily get over 26Mb down, 2.3 up, and around a 24ms ping.

Comments:

Review by yyj canada See Profile

• Location: Canada
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Clear Picture, PVR is great, Internet is fast even in evening"
Bad "Took about 3 hours to install but replaced/checked everthing"
Overall "With Optik TV in Victoria BC, Telus has gotten its act together"

Got Optik TV plus Optik Internet (15Mbps) with current special and free install.
I am a few block from the Telco where there is fiber, so I get 3 HD and 1SD TV feeds in Victoria BC.
The Internet is 15Mbps (tests with Shaws speed test at 13+)
Internet does NOT slow down at any time of day. Anytime I notice a slow site, I run the shaw test, and getting 13+, so slowdown is elsewhere on Internet. I have not tested max TV feeds with Internet speed yet, but can say that 1 HD and 3SD being recorded while playing back a HD from the PVR did not slow the Internet near 8PM.

Actiontec router/modem/wireless supplied by Telus is great (Wireless N, 1Gbit wired ports). You can only change the minimum needed to make it work, the rest is locked down by Telus to make their support easier. For example, the local network is 192.168.1.x. I needed to change some settings to match that network on shared printers, etc that I have.

Installer checked everything for line quality, and replaced box at house, had to do something back at the swtich where the fiber is, and tested the phone lines and coax inside the house. Seperated the phones and the Internet at the box at the house, so I did not need filters on each phone. From the Internet, he used the coax to connect to the PVR beside the TV.
It took about 3 hours, but I was happy that he had checked/replaced everything that was even suspect. He has not had to return so the extra time he spent testing made me a satisfied customer.

Bottom line is that with this pair of Internet and TV, Telus is a good alternative to Shaw in Victoria.

The bad
The CIS 430 PVR is only 320 Gbytes, but because Telus does better HD compression than Shaw's, it hold about the same hours as Shaws 500Gbyte PVR.

If you have more TVs than you get feeds, that limits the number of different things that you could watch live. Not a problem for me as I have only 1 TV.

Comments:

Review by pfak See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Professional installation, fast & reliable speeds, decent value"
Bad "Poor overseas support and long phone queues"
Overall "The best of the two ISPs available to me, Decent service overall"

My package:

* Home phone service with Basic Long Distance
* Optik High Speed Turbo 25 (25Mbps downstream, 2Mbps upstream) with 250GB softcap
* TELUS TV with Optik TV Your Pick HD combo (7 theme packs)

With a 36 month contract: free HD PVR rental for 3 years, Xbox 360, modem/gateway rental, HD set top box.

My review:

TELUS has improved substantially since when I last used their service in 2005. Their new VDSL2 deployment is second to none in my province of British Columbia. The speeds in terms of cost exceed by a wide margin the service provided by their DOCSIS competitor, Shaw.

I switched my basic TV and Xtreme-I (15mbps/1mbps) Internet service from Shaw at a total cost of $120/mo (before taxes) to TELUS (including land line phone service.) The Internet connection on TELUS is a lot more reliable, and the latency is lower and I receive twice the upstream with my new Optik Turbo 25 package (25Mbps/2Mbps.) The internet speeds drop when more than one HD stream is turned on in the house, but I am told that this will change in the near future as my line is capable of much greater speeds (~100Mbps.)

TELUS provides a "easy to use" (aka dummy) NAT, Wireless, HPNA, and Ethernet router (the Actiontec V1000H) which is locked down and does not allow you to put the router into bridge mode, it has some flaws (broken UPnP, wireless reception isn't the best) which are being worked out but still exist at present. The unit is solid for the average user, and only the most technical would have issues with its limitations. In terms of data transfer, 250GB softcap provided by TELUS is a lot higher than Shaw's on a comparable plan, and Shaw was only offering me a 100GB cap after lowering it from 125GB.

The order and install process was relatively smooth, with the exception that I did not receive a followup telephone call for the TV service to select what channel packs I wanted with my plan, and the $30/mo for 6 month discount was not applied until I phoned in at which point it was rectified.

I would say that the only issue I would have is the customer service angle, TELUS outsourced most of their customer service and it leaves me dreading when I have an issue with my connection. The one time I tried to phone TELUS for technical assistance I had to wait on hold for an hour before hanging up.

The bottom line is, TELUS service offerings are cheaper than the competition in terms of what you receive for your dollar. The service they provide is more stable, and I am really pleased with my experience so far.

Comments:

Review by zod5000 See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Fast, Reliable, and they don't complain about bandwidth usage."
Bad "Cutsomer and Tech Support. Very Frustrating."
Overall "Telus is a little better than shaw for the bandwidth hungry."

·Shaw
I recently upgraded from Turbo 15 to Turbo 25. As with my previous reviews, all the problems came during the upgrade process (or previously the install). The first issue that arrived was that the order got stuck. After a week of being told to wait longer, finally one of the CSRs put in a new order. The account was promptly upgraded but I wasn't receiving the new speeds.

I tried to call in for tech support and kept getting bounced between tv tech support, internet tech support and customer care. No one could figure out the issue. After a few weeks of this I got someone on the line who offered to send out a tech.

Tech #1. Completely useless. He came over, said he tested the line (but I didn't see him do it). Blamed the fact I was using my own router, left a telus all in one behind, said it would fix it and took off. It didn't fix, there was nothing wrong with my ALU VDSL modem and Asus n16 router. I actually got a little mad at the guy, I had to raise my voice and ask if there were any other issues you could check. The guy just wanted to take off, didn't communicate well and didn't seem to care.

Tech #2. So I called internet tech support again, they saw high attenuation on the line. They sent out another tech. This guy was a good communicator and knew his stuff, but all he did was test the line in my apartment building, said there was nothing else he could do, but he'd call back in a few days once he could run some more tests. He never did, thus he never resolved the issue.

Tech #3. Same thing, called tech support again they sent out a 3rd tech. This guy showed up; looked at my wiring and tested the line, said he didn't think he could solve the issue. So I pushed him a little harder, can you test which part of the line my issue is coming from? I finally talked him into going to the phone room in my building to test the line. It was ok. So then he took off to test the line outside the building, then the line to the CO. He called back again saying it didn't look good. But I asked if he could try a different line that goes into the building, he said he'd need to switch the port, but the ports were all locked out. That was frustrating. He basically told me to go back on turbo 15. He did call back a few minutes later (must of felt bad) and said he'd try to see if he could find a new port later in the day. 30 minutes later he did, called me said he was going to connect it. He did, the internet came back on, and I had full download speed and half upload. One more call and he resolved the upload speed pretty quick. Finally after a month my turbo 25 is working.

I also called telus customer care to complain about how long it took, they gave me a month for free, but I spent alot of time waiting at home for techs, calling their tech support etc.... so even if it saves me 50-60 dollars, I think my time was worth more.

I'm not sure what is up with the telus techs, they seem to want to take off as quick as possible without resolving the issue. It's really awkward having to push them to do everything in their power to fix it.

That being said, that's always my experience with telus. Getting things installed or upgraded is nothing but hassle, but once its up and running, its fast, consistent and reliable.

Some people may ask why I don't move my internet to Shaw. Well that one's easy. Even if telus customer/tech support is a complete pain. Telus has remained on the back burner when it comes to enforcing caps, throttling, and charging overage. As long as they don't throttle, don't charge overage, and don't enforce caps, I suppose I'm willing to put up with this crap

member for 11.1 years, 4606 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by joudbren See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Fantastic speed and very consistent any time of day. Decent 250GB per month cap."
Bad "haven't found anything yet"
Overall "No regrets switching to Telus. Great speed, decent cap, less money."

Switched from Shaw a couple of weeks ago. I was getting 15Mbps down with Shaw Extreme, 1Mbps up, 100GB per month cap (recently dropped from 125GB per month) and wildly varying speeds depending on time of day.

Telus Optik Turbo is giving me 25Mbps down, 2Mbps up, 250GB per month cap and rock steady speeds any time of day. And all for less money than I was paying Shaw! What's not to love. I have Apple TV and Netflix as well and apparently I was averaging 80GB per month and went slightly over 100GB twice in the last six months. No torrents. Shaw's threat of UBB was the final straw that prompted me to look at what else was out there.

I was paying Shaw $160 per month for HDTV, Internet and Phone. Now I pay $110 per month (all services) for the first year with Telus and $146 per month for year two and three. That saves me almost a grand over the next 3 years for a service that is bigger, better, faster in every respect and I get more channels now as well. Took just over a week to get it installed and the techs were very courteous and professional. About 3 hours install on site as they had to spend over an hour down the street fixing some wiring in the outside box. Install is free up to two STB's and you pay for any additional installs over and above the first two HD boxes in the house.

If you can get this in your area and a port is available, just do it. You won't be disappointed. I hope. You can also get this package without the Optik TV but it's not documented on their website yet as of the date of this post. Just call them and ask for High Speed 25. It might not be available in your area but it's just a phone call to find out.

EDIT: Ok, have had this a month now and still lovin' it. Initially had some intermittent problems with TV pixelating and audio drops but 20 minutes on the phone with Telus and they fixed everything up. They said they saw the errors at their end so made some setting changes and it hasn't been an issue since in over 3 weeks.

Ended up getting a local deal at BB for the Cisco 430 and 330 combined for $250 total so I grabbed them. Sweet! Everything is working great and speeds are still very consistent. Actiontec Router/Modem trains up at 31Mbps down and 3Mbps up so running 1 HD channel is not affecting internet speed at all. 3 HD streams recording at same time brings my speed down to just under 15Mbps. That's still faster than what I normally had with Shaw Extreme. Optik is definitely a keeper in this house and it will be interesting to see what Shaw comes back with to compete down the road. Can't see switching back though as the rock steady VDSL internet speeds are amazing so far compared to my yo-yo speeds on cable.

Telus also installed an Ethernet jack in the living room for me so plugged a cheap gig-e 8 port Asus switch into it and now have the HTPC, PVR, PS3 and Apple TV all hardwired instead of wireless. No issues.

Comments:

Review by oldroy See Profile

• Location: Spruce Grove,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "ADSL, Telephone, and 2 TV's, fairly good channel selection"
Bad "Had to reboot the Actiontec router a few times, seems ok lately"
Overall "Installled for 3 months so too early for conclusions"

We changed from Shaw Digital to Telus Optic TV in mid December of last year. Telus gave us a deal (105.00/month - telephone, TV, and internet bundle.) because I was a long time Telus ADSL customer

Equipment: Actiontec router, two set top boxes, existing Shaw digital coax cables were used.

Installation: Went OK. We have old fashioned overhead telephone lines in our neighborhood and the installer had to replace the drop cord. The Telus equipment is much bigger and bulkier then the Shaw stuff was. Existing lines to the downstairs and upstairs TV's worked fine. Existing CAT5 cables to 2 computers were used, the installer was scared of the linux box next to the Actiontec so had to use the XP box to set up the wireless for the laptop.

When I received the Telus Bill there was a charge for a $120.00 disconnect fee there, a call to Customer support cleared that on up.

The TV's froze a few times in December. Tech support told me to reset the router on the first call. Second call go a recorded message with the same instructions, i.e. unplug the router power for five minutes then re connect and wait for re-boot. The third time I found my linux computer could just go to 192.168.1.254 and do a hardware re-boot. Things have been working since then. Costs are slightly less than Shaw but we don't get as many channels.

Replaced the CRT TV in the living room with a skinny, LED Back Lit HDTV in late December then found we can only have one TV at a time on High Def., the other one get a message to either interrupt a TV or wait until later. Is this a bandwidth issue and more importantly is there a solution?