TELUS page on DSLReports

Review by hackinsat See Profile

• Location: Delta,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Super fast all the time. 6.0 megs down 1.0 megs up."
Bad "None, everyt hing is perfect"
Overall "Lightning fast surfing."

I have been a telus adsl customer for 9 years. Started with 1.5 service, and had only a few issues when first installed. I switched to 3 meg service 3 years ago, and had no issues. Getting 6.0 was different experience though. They use a tool they call "Loop Qualification" that based on estimates disqualified my line from 6.0 meg service despite a technician measuring the maximum attainable was over 9 megs using the legacy port that was connected at the other end.

After my tech went to bat for me, he convinced them to change my port to a ADSL 2+ port, and then measured the attainable speed again. My line is capable of 16.9 Megs down, and 1200 up. Armed with this data, my tech was able to get the disqualification over ridden, and now I have super fast ADSL, and have had absolutely no issues with it. Fast and consistent, and blows away my neighbours I originally paid for 1.5 when it was first installed in 1999.

Comments:

Review by Telly Boot See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Same price, fast, stable."
Bad "Offshore tech support useless"
Overall "Very good."

Upgraded to Extreme ( 6Mbps / 1 ) in January 2007 for the same price . After "upgrade" switch-over a nightmare few days ensued: ( see thread: Telus port didn't work-cut off- offshore support useless- repeatedly wouldn't pass problem to BC Support- hung-up...) but once I got a local tech on the job [*cough* call "Line Repair"] it started to work fine and is very stable:

Download Speed: 5280 kbps (660 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 848 kbps (106 KB/sec transfer rate)

I'm using the Siemens SE567modem/router and it has a powerful signal but the user interface is a little quirky. I get slightly higher speeds to my laptop, and it's easier to get into the Siemens control panel via the laptop- newer hardware, I guess.

Overall: very good quality for a low price, local techs know their stuff.

"Nightmare" thread here:

»Upgrading nightmare before Christmas.

Comments:

Review by jyeung See Profile

• Location: Burnaby,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Pricing, service, quality"
Bad "Speed dependent on line condition"
Overall "If you have a good DSL line, TELUS High Speed is a good choice. If not, then stay away."

I recently relocated to Vancouver to work for TELUS and have attempted to get TELUS High Speed Internet installed in my place.

The promotions they have a fairly decent, and include a $200 Amex gift card for a one year high sped contract, which I opted for. Problem is, half the dealers don't know the promotions. I went to Best Buy and Future Shop, both of whom had no idea how to even sell TELUS internet, and finally find someone with a clue at London Drugs who was able to activate for me.

Within a few days, they sent me a modem. I requested for the Speedtouch 516 modem instead of the 2Wire and hooked it onto my router at home.

During the first couple of days, the DSL line sync kept dropping once every two or so minutes. I ran a line test and saw my line wasn't even capable of 2Mbps - the theoretical speed was around 1.5; and even that's pushing it. This was fixed shortly after by a technician visit.

Compare that with Shaw, whose high speed is a steady 5Mbps and Extreme-I is a whopping 10Mbps.

Granted, most of these are technological limitations. TELUS provides a decent service, but unfortunately sometimes technology doesn't work too well due to distance issues. If your line is good, then you'll get good speeds. If not, you'll end up in my situation. I'm sticking with TELUS due to employee discounts and to support my employer, but if I was a consumer, I would jump ship.

Bottom line: go with TELUS if your line's good. Stay away if your line's bad (unless you don't mind even slower speeds, depending on how your line is).

Comments:

Review by bwhelen

• Location: v5x2g
Good "consistant speed"
Bad "automated handling of trouble calls"
Overall "I have no reason to change suppliers"

I have used this service for several years and have found it to be of a
consistant speed. Difficulties, once past automated exchanges and
options, have been addressed promptly by humanoid operators.

Bill

(review was emailed from domain telus.net)

Comments:

Review by kaybertoss See Profile

• Location: Vancouver BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Very solid and reliable"
Bad "None really after a year"
Overall "Great service and connection"

Left Shaw as our internet provider and signed up for a bundle deal with TV, land line, long distance and internet, could not be happier.

We are 4 blocks away from a major CO so we are seeing near max advertised speeds. had the 1.5 service at first but decided to upgrade to the 3.0 service. We are getting about 2.9 down and 800 up.

member for 13.4 years, 1749 visits, last login: 116 days ago

Comments:

Review by johnkam See Profile

• Location: Kamloops,BC
Good "extremely reliable service appears to be always on"
Bad "sometimes difficult to access service and support through 1-800 number long wait"
Overall "switched ti higher speed for same price"

subsribed to home connection, got what i ordered, business connection available and somewhat faster at higher price. two static ip's allow for home network althought echnically not supported,

never indicated need to tweek windows but discovered this site and everything has been smooth sailing.

found that since i've started "pinging" to test latency, speed seems up and latency hovering around 45 to 70Ms. except during peak periods. ISP upgrading home page and servers occasionally makes mail unaccessible (less than .05% of the time but it always gets annoying cuz its just when you want it.

Comments:

Review by czl See Profile

• Location: Delta,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Very reliable, good speed"
Overall "All things being equal, I'll renew when the time comes"

To date the service has been excellent, the only hitch has occured when I signed up for IP based TV from Telus. It was resolved when the TV installation was completed. There is a slight loss of speed at certain times of the day, but overall the service is very satisfactory.

Comments:

Review by kchabanny See Profile

• Location: Campbellville,ON
Good "Available in a coutry setting where no other high speed provider has services"
Bad "Experienced issues with DNS servers as well as significantly reduced data rates at certain points"
Overall "Good value for the money in Canada for a 3g service, especially considering that this includes unlimited roaming in Canada & US"

This is a review for Telus Mobile Broadband (EVDO rev A) service.

My location gets consistently 2 to 3 bars (93 to 100 -dBi). With 9dBi gain antenna I was able to clock download speeds as high as 900 Kbps and upload as 350 Kbps. Average good service is 500 Kbps but have seen it go down to as low as 90 Kbps or rarely even disappear all together.

Still, even with inconsistency in download/upload speeds experienced from time to time, this is a way better service than Xplornet (Telesat Ka band satellite) that I had for 3 years before switching to Telus Mobile Broadband. With average latency on EVDO rev A (DOrA) network around 90ms from my location in Ontario, Canada to speed testing site in NYC or Chicago, this connection is very usable for Skype or other applications working over HTTPS or IPSec VPN.

Comments:

Review by zalternate See Profile

• Location: Clearwater,BC
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (36 month contract)
Good "Consistant speeds"
Bad "Telus DNS server cache"
Overall "Recommend"

When we decided one day to move from Lone Butte to Clearwater(nicer weather), We made sure to move to an area with either DSL or Cable, After such a craptacular experience with Xplornet Satellite internet. The site below details many users experiences with Xplornet.
»www.xplornetsucks.com/forums/

We have had the service for almost 5 months now. With the self install.
Telus cost is about $100 for all our internet and phone and long distance and various phone add ons and taxes. Internet Rates page below.
»www.mytelus.com/internet/highspe···splay.do

Package is the 3meg which gives upload of about 700k and down loads of about 2.7 megs. Speeds are consistent 24/7. With only the occasional email system glitch of not being able to connect to the email server. And one time of a 1/2 hour outage. And since we are not downloaders. But it is nice to load PDF files rather quickly. Or even high rez pictures in emails or websites.

The Gigaset router/DSL modem can be powered on for about 30 days before it starts to act up and then needs to be rebooted.

There is also a small cable/internet company in Clearwater by the name of Raftview Communications.
»www.mercuryspeed.com/ (Other than someone codes the page for Internet Explorer.) Have not needed to try them out.

For anyone who gets the Gigaset SE567 router/DSL modem combo from Telus. The user name is Admin and the stock password is telus.
Otherwise Telus wants you to install programs(and then uninstall) from CD to get access to change the password. The combo Router/DSL modem also has a wireless access point that can be shut off.

We use the opendns.com DNS server, as the Telus DNS server has a small cache and you can notice a small difference in speed to find and load webpages that regular internet users do not go too. Open DNS server IP's below.
208.67.222.222
208.67.220.220

When DSL2 comes, (Hopefully in a couple of years), we will give it a try to keep up with so many bloated webpages that are out there. Otherwise the 3 meg package is great.

Comments:

Review by ravishingray See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Very reliable connection and speed"
Bad "Latency in multiplayer games are usually way higher than Shaw"
Overall "does the job"

I've had 1.5Mbps DSL service from them since 2000. Still using the old 3Com modem.

The connection is very reliable. Haven't had a long outage since 2001, and it was because the modem became faulty.

The speed is faster than my friend's Shaw regular high speed, and he lives across the alley from me. Whenever downloading from any sites I usually max out at 160kBps.

The latency used to be as good as or better than Shaw, but it has gone sour recently. The lowest ping I get for servers in Seattle is about 40ms whereas back then it would be as low as 20ms. Shaw is much better here, my friends all get under 10ms sometimes.