TELUS page on DSLReports

Review by wolfe See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Telus Internet (BC)"
Bad "Telus TV"
Overall "Best deal for internet, BAD for everything else."

·Shaw
Telus flat rate internet is the best in the lower mainland vancouver, compared to shaw, and lightspeed. BUT THEY SUCK FOR EVERYTHING ELSE. simple just get the internet do not get suckered into any other deal or offer.

(side not shaw sucks for internet, but their PVR is almost as good as bell satelite, and cheaper)

Comments:

Review by Bauwoo See Profile

• Telco party Telus
Good "Connection, Low Latency, Dedicated Line, Customer Serivce"
Bad "Modem Options, Lack of Bridge Mode Support for Advanced Users"
Overall "Great connection, improved customer support, but lack of modem options and bridge mode support put the competition ahead here."

Phoned up Telus and had a pleasant time chatting with the customer service rep. Ordered up Optik TV, Internet, and Phone all in same day with no hassle. Tech came and did his work (1.5-2h) to setup wiring, PVR, modem, etc. Everything went well and was hassle free.

Having Telus for 6 months now and I haven't had any issues with the connection. I have had issues regarding the modem, the V1000H. It's never given me any problems technically but it does have a limited firmware for my uses. I called up tech support hoping they could put it in bridge mode but they didn't have the option or the expertise. Telus Tech support has very limited training. I found a custom firmware and loaded it onto the V1000H and put it into bridge mode and was running my RT-N16 w/ TomatoUSB (shibby). Didn't have any issues like tech support warned me about. 6 months running this setup with no issues and a rock solid connection with excellent ping times, faster than advertised speeds which I was on Optik 15 at the time. In December, Optik 25 became available and I jumped on board and I haven't had any issues.

The only real issue is that Telus has cut their bandwidth caps in half, from 500GB to 250GB on Optik 25. A lot of people on this forum are debating the issue and I hope they are successful in a positive solution to this. For myself, it will not affect me as much as I do not spend my connection to those limits Telus has placed apon me.

Right now I would recommend Telus for people who enjoy applications having low latency and a very stable connection (gaming and general use). I wouldn't recommend this service for power users who need extensive bandwidth (usenet, torrents, streaming).

UPDATE:

I just had 50/10 installed with TELUS new V2000H modem. This time around it was much easier putting into bridge mode. No custom firmwares or anything. Had root login from the start. Put it into bridge mode and connected it to my Asus RT-N66U w/ TomatoUSB Shibby CFW. The connection like my 25/2 is great. I get almost 50/10 (48/9) consistently all day. The only performance issue I seem to have is that with the V2000H it does Loop Bonding that requires the two phone lines. I noticed double my ping times which I don't know if that is normal or not for Loop Bonding. I put the modem into one line mode and was getting half the ping time and my original ping time when I was on 25/2.

Other than that the connection is solid. I can do heavy downloading again with very effective QoS implementation. Shaw fluctuates way to much to have QoS work. Gaming and all other applications run great, even with the slight increase to latency.

If TELUS has faster packages down the road, I'll definitely do the upgrade.

UPDATE 02/05/2014:

Currently only have 50/10 with no TV or Phone. TV and Phone services are with Shaw because of employee discount I had months ago. Looking to switch back to TELUS because the savings are not at Shaw anymore. One on one regular price and TELUS has my business because of QoS.

member for 11 years, 820 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
fefrie

join:2012-08-17
Vancouver, BC

For all three that's a great price

This is $52 for all three services? That's pretty good. I pay $44 for 2 services, but I don't watch TV.

That's a pretty good price.

join:2003-12-07

Re: For all three that's a great price

Nope just $52/m for the internet alone.

anon9999

@telus.net

Bridge Mode?

Just wondering where you activate this. I have my own router set up as a DMZ host on my Actiontec V2000H. I'm assuming this essentially does the same thing, as all ports are open to my router.

Re: Bridge Mode?

You must login as "root". Google has the login information. Once you're in you go to Advanced Tab > WAN Settings > and enable Transparent Bridging, disable wireless, and NAT.

And no, enabling DMZ is not the same thing has bridge mode.

Review by tallguy11 See Profile

• Telco party Telus
Good "Fast 50 meg down 10 meg up, reliable, and cheap"
Bad "none "
Overall "it works, it's fast and its way cheaper than shaw"

·TekSavvy Cable
fast internet and i don't have to worry about caps!!!

join:2013-02-02
Whistler, BC

why u say its cheaper?

the service is not cheaper is just has a better intro promotion, but u cant say its cheaper if telus 50= $80/m and shaw 50 = $80/m , shaw also has level 1 tech support in canada unlike telus who has it in india, and shaw also offers a proper option for bridging your modem
Shaw Broadband 100/5 - Cisco DPC3825 - Asus RT-AC66U

tallguy11

join:2002-02-08
Edmonton, AB
·TekSavvy Cable
·TELUS

1 recommendation

Re: why u say its cheaper?

yes but telus has 10meg up and thats where it really counts.. also every tech support agent i talked to at telus has been in canada.. and it is cheaper as once the promotion is taken off all u gotta do is call in and threaten to switch to shaw and bingo promo back on.. been doing that for 5 years now works everytime!
Bandito

join:2003-01-23

Re: why u say its cheaper?

not typically. US time shifting channels are extra with Telus, included with Shaw. The same with Asian channels. Downloading and watching tv will cause a hit with your internet speeds. I've heard many complaints about how poor Telus tech support is, not so much with Shaw. Shaw knows that most people will actually return back to Shaw after their promo ends with Telus, that's partly why Shaw's promos and retention deals suck.

tallguy11

join:2002-02-08
Edmonton, AB

Re: why u say its cheaper?

if u took the time to read my review u would have seen i have internet only and for me telus is a far better connection... i do not have cable as i find its a waste of money.. i can get everything i want off the net and no dealing with commercials

Review by eddi1984 See Profile

• Telco party Telus
Good "Quick fairly painless ordering and install"
Bad "Service took approx 4 hours after install to be up in full speed"
Overall "Happy so far, no problems."

Hi Folks, new here.

UPDATE Sept 26 (2013): Well, what should I say? BEST MOVE EVER! I am with TELUS for 6+ month now, I have had absolutely no connection drops, the speed is as steady as ever! If you can get GPON from TELUS, go for it ...
Will not go back to SHAW!!!

UPDATE Mar 14: SHOCK!!! After 24 hours of flawless internet service, I received a call from the same Telus tech (see below) to verify that my connection was good and that I am happy. IMPRESSIVE I must say!

AS POSTED ON MAR 13:
History:
I want to document my experience with TELUS for the last 1 week or so. I am/was a true SHAW customer for the last 7 years, Internet and Phone. I had the BB50 with Shaw, however, in the last few years I jumped from $85 a month to $105 for the same service without changes. So, thanks SHAW, you are no more, sort off ...

Recent events:
After reading online in forums, I found out, that TELUS was offering a Internet 50 plan (50/10) over fiber. So I called TELUS and inquired, if it is available in my area (I life in Edmonton, South Side, rather new neighborhood). So I ordered the Internet 50.

First encounter:
Telus tech came out (nice friendly guy) today (march 13). He terminated/spliced the fiber and installed a Alcatel ONT (Alcatel I-240G-B) right in my basement. From the ONT I connected direct into my Netgear Router. The tech had an Actiontec modem/router, however, I do not use it (have no TV).

EDIT: The Actiontec is a V1000H.

What happened after:
The service was not quite working for the first 4 hours due to a QoS problem in their equipment. Called Tech support and got a smart guy who looked into the problem. He told me, that they needed to apply a temp fix to get me going, and will do the actual fix in the next 1 or 2 days. All right, no harm done. After rebooting my router the temp fix worked and I had 50+/10+ speeds. About 3 hours later, the same tech called me back and told me, that the fix was applied and I needed to reboot my router, IMPRESSIVE, Telus is actually calling me back. I was impressed.
Rebooted the router and everything works.

Here is a speedtest: »www.speedtest.net/result/2572134696.png

IMPRESSIVE! So far so good. The experience from signup to actual install was very smooth and good.

I will keep this post updated as I have more experience with this service.

BTW, the download cap is 400GB and SOFTCAP (CAP is not enforeced, I specifically asked before I signed up, and the info is approx 1 week old) and I pay $45 for the first 6 month.

So long,

Eddi1984

member for 1.7 years, 73 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by fefrie See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "No noticed service outages for years, Reasonable price for phone/internet"
Bad "The value is just not there. Extremely expensive for the service you get."
Overall "MAY 2013 Update. Unless they offer you the 10/10/10 plan, just rate shop between all the service providers."

Sept 2013 Update:

Since leaving Telus, I switched to Teksavvy and Freephoneline.ca for my internet and phone needs.

For $33.50, I have a 7.5mb line that is an actual 7.5mbit line. When I download, I consistently get 7.5mbit speeds with burst speeds up to 22mbps. When I was on Telus, I rarely got their advertised speeds. The biggest difference was with Youtube videos. On Teksavvy, Youtube videos actually load quite fast.

My transfer fees will be paid off in about 4 months if I base that on my 'deal' rate of $43. It's paid off already if I consider their $55 adjusted rate, and I'm making money if I consider that comprable service would cost much more than $80/month with Telus.

If you want decent internet speed, leave Telus now.

May 2013 update:

After 10+ years with Telus, and monthly monitoring of bills that creep up and down from $43 to $60/month, they refused to reinstate my long term discounts. So I cancelled with telus and will no longer have service with them.

I got sick of trying to read through their bills with hidden credits and charges.

I have gotten rid of the land line and associated telephone number and went with Teksavvy and got a VOIP phone. After side by side testing, Teksavvy cable (in the afternoon anyways) is superior to telus (see teksavvy review for speed test comparison).

Aggressively rate shop. Service for internet only should not be more than $30/month.

If you are lucky to live in a dense sector like a condo or apartment, you should be able to find a better rate.

******************************************************************************************************************

August 2012 With discounts, I pay $43.43 for a 6.0/0.5 internet line and a landline with only caller ID and all long distance services stripped from the line.

The thing that keeps me with telus is that I have been with them forever, and the price is as low as I can get it with a reasonable 6.0 service. with the included land line.

However, with new voip service prices coming down, it's getting more difficult to justify the landline even bundeled with the internet.

You have to always watch your bills as the change the discounts and rates on a regular basis. It will creep up $2-3/month if you are not watching.

If I get completely fed up, I'll drop the land line and get a freephonline.ca and go voip.

For business, i fired telus as my phone provider and went with voip.ms changing my monthly phone costs from $65 to $2 +0.1c/6sec. The quality and features have been excellent, and it has me thinking of doing the same with my home telco needs.

No bandwidth caps and I don't have the need for Live sports or news, so the internet has been my source of entertainment.

If anyone has a better combo for phone/6.0, please let me know, I 'd like to negotiate the same price too!

Comments:

Review by pb2k See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Relaible High speed service with VDSL2 or GPON covering the majority of AB and BC"
Bad "Locked down modem/router combo. I was luck enough to get a ALU7130 modem."
Overall "Telus now provides service that rivals and in some cases exceeds shaws offerings"

Running 3HD/1SD TTV with 15mbit internet; synced @ approx 32Mbit/s (virtually no internet slowdown when watching/recording 4 shows). I'm planning to upgrade my modem firmware in the not to distant future to see if it will sync high enough for HS50.

member for 9.5 years, 2782 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by weewilli See Profile

• Location: Westbank,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Consistent high speed"
Bad "ping fluctuates, throttles usenet"
Overall "Much better than Shaw Cable internet!!"

At wits end trying to get Shaw to fix problems. They dropped a new line, new modem, etc...but still could not get consistent good speeds. Node saturated horribly. When I found out I didn't have to sign a contract for Telus I decided to try them and haven't looked back. There are some slight fluctuations in speed and I don't like the ping times fluctuating, but still night and day with shaw. The price is consistent with shaw and they are both high but what can you do?

Usenet speeds on shaw would reach 4 MB/s+ regularly, Telus won't go above 1.8ish and usually less. That really sucks....

The ActionTec modem is different...WiFi much better than the Cisco with shaw. Monitoring has more options, overall a nicer unit.

Almost constant 52Mb/s on a 50Mb service, ping ranges from 10ms to 25ish, upload almost always over 10Mb/s....I did insist on a new drop from the road to the home as the line was 20 or so years old, and the service is dedicated to data.

Customer service is no different than shaw. Some techs are real techies, some are just reading scripts and cashing the pay cheques.

I have been on cable internet since it came out, and I kick myself for waiting so long to make the switch..

Comments:

Bauwoo

·TELUS

Usenet

Telus doesn't throttle your connection. The poor Usenet speed could be because of different routing than Shaw. I was using a EU Usenet server to avoid DCMA takedowns and was getting around 5-6MB/s down on Shaw. I switched back to TELUS a short time ago and my Usenet was around 1-1.5MB/s down. I had to switch Usenet providers because it was just bad routing. Now I don't have all the facts with what you connect to for a Usenet server. Maybe you're using a US server or maybe you're not setting your number of connections to the server to maximum. Not enough info but I would suggest posting something in the TELUS forums or File Sharing forums to see what others have to say. Include more details if you do. Hope you get it resolved. GL
eblend

join:2011-07-22

Re: Usenet

I used to get 2.8MB/s with Telus 25mbps line over copper, now get 6.5MB/s with Telus 50mbps over Fiber. So telus is not your problem with the slow speed, you got an issue elsewhere.

MerinX
Crunching for Cures
join:2011-02-03

Telus>SHaw

I also regret not switching sooner, shaw sucks.....

Review by Photon See Profile

• Telco party Telus
Good "50.76 Mbps / 10.46 Mbps"
Bad "Nothing bad at this time"
Overall "$80 for 50mbps seems a little high."

»www.speedtest.net/result/2806546217.png

What can I say? The speed is what I wanted. Had it installed within three days off my call to upgrade. No contracts at this time.

Comments:

Review by vectravl400 See Profile

• Location: Didsbury,AB
Good "Consistent performance"
Bad "Blocked ports (just like most other ISPs)"
Overall "Good alternative to Shaw"

Telus has provided a solidly performing service for a reasonable price. The only reason to choose another ISP over them would for different features that Telus doesn't offer on their residential service.

Service continues to be solid and stable, performing at its full capacity.

Just upgraded to 15Mb service. It's grrrrreat!

**Seeing some issues with the Zyxel 1432 combo router. It's locked up a few times since I added a wireless bridge.**

member for 6.9 years, 1755 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by osoyoosking See Profile

• Location: Osoyoos,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "great deal and the free tv was nice"
Bad "internet very slow and disconnecting alot"
Overall "will be worth it with faster internet 6mb just doesn't make it anymore"

got the full bundle sat tv, phone with 1 feature, 6mb internet, which was the fastest i could get as of 2013 in my town of osoyoos, bc canada..got free 46in tv for signing up to 3 years..nice tv Samsung.