TELUS page on DSLReports

Review by ArclightX See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
Good "Reliable-ish"
Bad "Oligopoly=Bad"
Overall "If telus could steal money from your wallet they would and at this point they don't even try to hide that fact"

The Facts:

- I'm in Calgary
- I'm a former Network Eng at telus
- I'm on the 25/5Mbit profile (although I've only ever gotten about ~3Mbits upload speed)
- I also have their minimum package TTV (IPTV) service called "The Essentials"
- I DO NOT Have a home phone line (aka Dark ADSL)
- I Pay about $86/mo for this which includes a bundle discount and 1 or 2 other "negotiated" discounts that have remained on my bill
- I use the ALU 7130 modem and utilize my own home router for service throughout my home

So in terms of the service itself, it's good enough, not perfect but it works and telus doesn't employ "traffic management" techniques which is a good thing.

So the real situation here is that I will be leaving telus in the next week or two and will be going with a wholesale provider with unlimited service. For the longest time telus always advertised caps but never enforced them for so long as you had ttv service with your internet service. The price isn't what I would call competitive but I was willing to go along with it for so long as my bandwidth wasn't enforced and the service remained steady.

Then this happened: »goo.gl/gswVP8

So yeah, the funny thing is I know how this company thinks and in the end what they're basically saying without actually saying is:

"We don't want customers like you on our network. We only want grandma who occasionally checks her email and smiles at pictures at her grandkids once or twice a week. Power users like you that do stuff, download movies, watch Netflix, gaming, have a connected home that chews bandwidth, etc.. etc.. No Thank You! Off you Go!"

Everything you hear contrary to that from either the company or the talking mouthpieces on DSL Reports is pure Spin and pure Lies. Don't believe it for a second and trust your gut.

How is telus is communicating this message you ask?

- By how they've consistently raised their prices twice in the past year
- How they started to Artificially cut their usage caps in half as a first step towards UBB
- And now the grand crescendo, Implementation of Usage Based Billing

Why is this happening you ask?

- Just like the rest of robellus to maximize profits at your expense
- Artificially lowering service to lower their costs
- And most of all, to protect their broadcast TV service by behaving anti-competitively (Which should be illegal btw, I'm looking at you CRTC)

That sucks @ss! What can I do about it?

- The ONLY thing you can do about it is vote with your dollars, LEAVE telus and go with a smaller wholesale provider
- No amount of moaning or whining will change a thing
- telus has already done the math
- They're in it to maximize their profits at your expense and they are BARELY veiling that fact from you in their actions

Vote with your $$$, Leave telus like I am, You'll be so much happier once you have.

It will almost feel cathartic to be rid of them. Trust Me.

member for 5.5 years, 322 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bluenote73 See Profile

• Location: V4N6A5
Good "DSL delivers the speed reliably."
Bad "Contracts bind you, not them. They raised my prices 5 times, and cut my caps in half UNDER CONTRACT."
Overall "They are deceitful liars. Go with Teksavvy, or another third party ISP instead."

·FreePhoneLine
While their service delivery is good, their morals are lacking. When one signs up for a contract, they do not specify that the price, and product can change, and there is NOTHING you can do about it. Cutting my caps by 50%, and then deciding to charge overages, plus at least 5 price increases during the term is NOT ETHICAL.

Do not reward this behaviour. Do not sign a contract with them. Go with Teksavvy, or try AEBC.com, Lightspeed.ca, Nucleus.ca, unmetereddsl.ca, or uniserve.com.

member for 6 years, 458 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by Admiral124 See Profile

• Location: canada
Bad "UBB"

Over the past few years, Telus has increased their rates and lowered their offering. Not once have they spent any of their profits in my community on upgrading services as our lines begin to rot. Today, when HD streaming and game downloads easily reach into the tens of GB (or more), measly limits of 100GB/month can't be taken seriously - especially with 4K content around the corner. Now that they have decided to implement usage-based billing, I will be dropping their services in favor of someone else.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:

Review by timerider2 See Profile

• Location: St Albert,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Only had a handfull of total outages in 3 or 4 years"
Bad "I have never had full speed from day one. USAGE CAPS and OVERBILLING are ridiculous."
Overall "It was already an expensive service with only so-so performance and NOW OVERCHARGING has made it just laughable."

I originally switched to Telus after Shaw was going to start overbilling internet 3 or 4 years ago. At that time Telus was bragging about how big and shiny their network was and how they had plenty of capacity and would never overbill their customers. Fast forward 3 years later and Telus has decided to pull the same BS. My hookup went okay but I never received my full 25mbps usually hovering between 15mbps and 20mbps, repeated calls and support from Telus failed to fix the problem. I've been with them over 3 years and have never had full speed and strange stuff like the modem resetting everytime our phone rings etc keeps happening. I was happy to pay for my lackluster service just to avoid the hassle of having to switch. Now with OVERCHARGING I am expected to have my nose stuck to the TELUSmeter all month to make sure I don't go over. I don't know about other people but I must have 15 devices hooked up to the internet at any given time and watching my TELUSmeter would probably become a fulltime job, and quite frankly I don't need the extra stress or hassle. Don't get me wrong I'm usually under my cap but it's the principal of the thing. Over my time with Telus I've had crappy service, crappy support, my cap has been cut from 500gb to 250gb and now for the last straw OVERCHARGING. I have resisted going to a third party provider up till now because I felt more secure with the feel good advertising and cute furry animals the big companies push but ENOUGH IS ENOUGH ALREADY. I urge others to explore 3rd party providers as I am doing and cancel Telus making sure to let them know why. When I told my wife she said, "Don't we already pay them over $60 a month for internet, WTF", GOOD QUESTION!!!!!

member for 4.1 years, 94 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jed See Profile

• Location: Alberta, Can
  • Telco party Telus
Good "My connection is reliable, and stable."
Bad "Cost - plans change all the time & you don't get those costs unless you are VERY diligent! Tech Support can suck! See comments"
Overall "About a 7.5 out of 10"

·EastLink Interne..
On a 3mbps connection, with 2 landlines, and 2 mobility accounts. Infrastructure is not upgraded in my area to give me more than 3mbps. Have had it now for about 6-7yrs. Using an older Linksys ADSLME3 modem with WRT54GL running tomato. Rock solid combination, as I run torrents, up to 7 systems, some wired and some wireless, wireless bridged to my xBox, and 2 wireless print servers.

Worst part of Telus is their support - if you are fortunate enough to get someone who is knowledgeable and in Canada, all is good. Look out if you go overseas for support to someone reading off of a flow chart and for whom English is a new skill.

Best part of Telus are the support staff that know their jobs and are more than willing to do what it takes to help you. I've had some tricky issues fixed immediately, while other issues, need repetitious calls to get the right person.

Never call past 1700h MST as I always seem to go to the Philippines.

Once you know the pitfalls, its pretty good, working within those parameters.

Update: subscribed to 25Mbps, and loved it. For about a year. Unfortunately, Telus' service is popular here and now in the evenings, sometimes a YouTube video cannot be streamed, at any resolution. Hopefully our area is upgraded sooner than later. Running all of my own gear, and connection still rock solid, just the oversubscribed area.

Comments:

Review by Clint_ See Profile

• Location: Salmo,BC
  • Telco party Telus

I'd get rid of Telus in a minute if there were any other choice. They have slower packages, 1Mbps but charge the same as 6Mbps. Customer service is the worst I've seen. I dread calling them if I have a problem. The last time I called, I was told 6mbps is not available to me. I've had it for years. The techs who show up when you have a problem are great. Second to none.

Update: I called last week and after only 15 minutes on hold, had a good chat. I was impressed. I wasn't happy with the answer but at least the person knew what I was talking about and didn't argue with me that 6mbps wasn't available to me.

member for 2.1 years, 212 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

JammerMan79
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC

be realistic

You say "they have slower packages" and that they're the only provider.
How is it a slower package when it's being compared to zero service?

Just clarifying that you realize that there's only about 1000 people who live in Salmo.
So roughly 300 potential customers.

How much do you estimate it costs to upgrade ADSL circuits in your village?
How much do you estimate it costs to upgrade the back-end infrastructure?

Have you questioned, Why is there no other company willing to provide service to Salmo?
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.
Clint_

join:2012-12-31
Salmo, BC
·TELUS

Re: be realistic

I do realize cost vs number of users is a huge factor. That doesn't make me any happier. I'd rather live here than in a larger center so it's the price I pay. My biggest complaint about Telus is they charge the same for their 1Mbps package as they do for the 6. I have 6 Mbps, my parents have 1Mbps. They pay the same as I do. I have a friend in Nelson who also can only get the 1Mbps package and pays the same as I do.

JammerMan79
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC

Re: be realistic

so you're rating based on your perception of someone else's service?
based on what you're saying... your review doesn't make sense...
fefrie

join:2012-08-17
Vancouver, BC

1 ir 6?

So do you have 1mbps or 6mbps service?

You complain of only getting 1, but say you have 6 for years?
Nick1996

join:2012-06-04
Edmonton, AB

Alternatives

If you're really not happy with Telus, you might want to take a look at Satellite or a WISP.

Review by warjim60 See Profile

• Location: Black Diamond,AB

Have the "fastest" package available. Not really satisfied as am having disconnection issues at the main box down by the hospital. The rumor is it is about maxed out, has burnt out slots and is running out of space for new cards. We have a new development with new families moving in, and another just starting to be built. I have no idea how Telus is going to service these potencial new customers.

Comments:

Review by fefrie See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "No noticed service outages for years, Reasonable price for phone/internet"
Bad "The value is just not there. Extremely expensive for the service you get."
Overall "MAY 2013 Update. Unless they offer you the 10/10/10 plan, just rate shop between all the service providers."

Sept 2013 Update:

Since leaving Telus, I switched to Teksavvy and Freephoneline.ca for my internet and phone needs.

For $33.50, I have a 7.5mb line that is an actual 7.5mbit line. When I download, I consistently get 7.5mbit speeds with burst speeds up to 22mbps. When I was on Telus, I rarely got their advertised speeds. The biggest difference was with Youtube videos. On Teksavvy, Youtube videos actually load quite fast.

My transfer fees will be paid off in about 4 months if I base that on my 'deal' rate of $43. It's paid off already if I consider their $55 adjusted rate, and I'm making money if I consider that comprable service would cost much more than $80/month with Telus.

If you want decent internet speed, leave Telus now.

May 2013 update:

After 10+ years with Telus, and monthly monitoring of bills that creep up and down from $43 to $60/month, they refused to reinstate my long term discounts. So I cancelled with telus and will no longer have service with them.

I got sick of trying to read through their bills with hidden credits and charges.

I have gotten rid of the land line and associated telephone number and went with Teksavvy and got a VOIP phone. After side by side testing, Teksavvy cable (in the afternoon anyways) is superior to telus (see teksavvy review for speed test comparison).

Aggressively rate shop. Service for internet only should not be more than $30/month.

If you are lucky to live in a dense sector like a condo or apartment, you should be able to find a better rate.

******************************************************************************************************************

August 2012 With discounts, I pay $43.43 for a 6.0/0.5 internet line and a landline with only caller ID and all long distance services stripped from the line.

The thing that keeps me with telus is that I have been with them forever, and the price is as low as I can get it with a reasonable 6.0 service. with the included land line.

However, with new voip service prices coming down, it's getting more difficult to justify the landline even bundeled with the internet.

You have to always watch your bills as the change the discounts and rates on a regular basis. It will creep up $2-3/month if you are not watching.

If I get completely fed up, I'll drop the land line and get a freephonline.ca and go voip.

For business, i fired telus as my phone provider and went with voip.ms changing my monthly phone costs from $65 to $2 +0.1c/6sec. The quality and features have been excellent, and it has me thinking of doing the same with my home telco needs.

No bandwidth caps and I don't have the need for Live sports or news, so the internet has been my source of entertainment.

If anyone has a better combo for phone/6.0, please let me know, I 'd like to negotiate the same price too!

Comments:

Review by crypt0 See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
Bad "Ripped off."
Overall "Greed."

They increased the monthly charges by $5 and decreased data limit by 50%... then started to nickle and dime me for the "extra" usage that was included in the previous agreement. Moved to cable for double the speed, a little less usage then previous package but still less then what I average, all for the same price as Telus after extra charges.

Comments:

Review by hindumagic See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "solid, stable connection"
Bad "far too expensive for a slow connection"
Overall "Have no problems, but the price has slowly increased without a speed increase. Tired of being exploited."

Have been a customer for over a dozen years. Since cancelling the landline, and not opting for tv or other bundled services, the price was increased from $35 to $42. Fine, but now it has slowly increased to $47 (before tax). Speed has not been bumped up with those price increases. In fact, last time I moved, they realized I was still on their ultra-slow service and bumped me up to what I should be getting for what I'm paying (that was 5 years ago when we had their land line too).

Currently 5 down and 0.7 up for $47. Not worth it. Moving to Teksavvy for 15 down, 1 up no cap for $48. The real complaint is value for money, and I'm being exploited.

Otherwise their service is stable and have had no issues there. When issues were encountered in the past, had to wade through the stupid flowchart questions without getting to the real problem (I'm a developer and know what I'm talking about - had to fake that I was using Windows too).