TELUS page on DSLReports

Review by jed See Profile

• Location: Alberta, Can
  • Telco party Telus
Good "My connection is reliable, and stable."
Bad "Cost - plans change all the time & you don't get those costs unless you are VERY diligent! Tech Support can suck! See comments"
Overall "About a 7.5 out of 10"

·EastLink Interne..
On a 3mbps connection, with 2 landlines, and 2 mobility accounts. Infrastructure is not upgraded in my area to give me more than 3mbps. Have had it now for about 6-7yrs. Using an older Linksys ADSLME3 modem with WRT54GL running tomato. Rock solid combination, as I run torrents, up to 7 systems, some wired and some wireless, wireless bridged to my xBox, and 2 wireless print servers.

Worst part of Telus is their support - if you are fortunate enough to get someone who is knowledgeable and in Canada, all is good. Look out if you go overseas for support to someone reading off of a flow chart and for whom English is a new skill.

Best part of Telus are the support staff that know their jobs and are more than willing to do what it takes to help you. I've had some tricky issues fixed immediately, while other issues, need repetitious calls to get the right person.

Never call past 1700h MST as I always seem to go to the Philippines.

Once you know the pitfalls, its pretty good, working within those parameters.

Update: subscribed to 25Mbps, and loved it. For about a year. Unfortunately, Telus' service is popular here and now in the evenings, sometimes a YouTube video cannot be streamed, at any resolution. Hopefully our area is upgraded sooner than later. Running all of my own gear, and connection still rock solid, just the oversubscribed area.

Comments:

Review by Clint_ See Profile

• Location: Salmo,BC
  • Telco party Telus

I'd get rid of Telus in a minute if there were any other choice. They have slower packages, 1Mbps but charge the same as 6Mbps. Customer service is the worst I've seen. I dread calling them if I have a problem. The last time I called, I was told 6mbps is not available to me. I've had it for years. The techs who show up when you have a problem are great. Second to none.

Update: I called last week and after only 15 minutes on hold, had a good chat. I was impressed. I wasn't happy with the answer but at least the person knew what I was talking about and didn't argue with me that 6mbps wasn't available to me.

Comments:

JammerMan79
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC

be realistic

You say "they have slower packages" and that they're the only provider.
How is it a slower package when it's being compared to zero service?

Just clarifying that you realize that there's only about 1000 people who live in Salmo.
So roughly 300 potential customers.

How much do you estimate it costs to upgrade ADSL circuits in your village?
How much do you estimate it costs to upgrade the back-end infrastructure?

Have you questioned, Why is there no other company willing to provide service to Salmo?
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.
Clint_

join:2012-12-31
Salmo, BC
·TELUS

Re: be realistic

I do realize cost vs number of users is a huge factor. That doesn't make me any happier. I'd rather live here than in a larger center so it's the price I pay. My biggest complaint about Telus is they charge the same for their 1Mbps package as they do for the 6. I have 6 Mbps, my parents have 1Mbps. They pay the same as I do. I have a friend in Nelson who also can only get the 1Mbps package and pays the same as I do.

JammerMan79
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC

Re: be realistic

so you're rating based on your perception of someone else's service?
based on what you're saying... your review doesn't make sense...
fefrie

join:2012-08-17
Vancouver, BC

1 ir 6?

So do you have 1mbps or 6mbps service?

You complain of only getting 1, but say you have 6 for years?
Nick1996

join:2012-06-04
Edmonton, AB

Alternatives

If you're really not happy with Telus, you might want to take a look at Satellite or a WISP.

Review by warjim60 See Profile

• Location: Black Diamond,AB

Have the "fastest" package available. Not really satisfied as am having disconnection issues at the main box down by the hospital. The rumor is it is about maxed out, has burnt out slots and is running out of space for new cards. We have a new development with new families moving in, and another just starting to be built. I have no idea how Telus is going to service these potencial new customers.

Comments:

Review by fefrie See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "No noticed service outages for years, Reasonable price for phone/internet"
Bad "The value is just not there. Extremely expensive for the service you get."
Overall "MAY 2013 Update. Unless they offer you the 10/10/10 plan, just rate shop between all the service providers."

Sept 2013 Update:

Since leaving Telus, I switched to Teksavvy and Freephoneline.ca for my internet and phone needs.

For $33.50, I have a 7.5mb line that is an actual 7.5mbit line. When I download, I consistently get 7.5mbit speeds with burst speeds up to 22mbps. When I was on Telus, I rarely got their advertised speeds. The biggest difference was with Youtube videos. On Teksavvy, Youtube videos actually load quite fast.

My transfer fees will be paid off in about 4 months if I base that on my 'deal' rate of $43. It's paid off already if I consider their $55 adjusted rate, and I'm making money if I consider that comprable service would cost much more than $80/month with Telus.

If you want decent internet speed, leave Telus now.

May 2013 update:

After 10+ years with Telus, and monthly monitoring of bills that creep up and down from $43 to $60/month, they refused to reinstate my long term discounts. So I cancelled with telus and will no longer have service with them.

I got sick of trying to read through their bills with hidden credits and charges.

I have gotten rid of the land line and associated telephone number and went with Teksavvy and got a VOIP phone. After side by side testing, Teksavvy cable (in the afternoon anyways) is superior to telus (see teksavvy review for speed test comparison).

Aggressively rate shop. Service for internet only should not be more than $30/month.

If you are lucky to live in a dense sector like a condo or apartment, you should be able to find a better rate.

******************************************************************************************************************

August 2012 With discounts, I pay $43.43 for a 6.0/0.5 internet line and a landline with only caller ID and all long distance services stripped from the line.

The thing that keeps me with telus is that I have been with them forever, and the price is as low as I can get it with a reasonable 6.0 service. with the included land line.

However, with new voip service prices coming down, it's getting more difficult to justify the landline even bundeled with the internet.

You have to always watch your bills as the change the discounts and rates on a regular basis. It will creep up $2-3/month if you are not watching.

If I get completely fed up, I'll drop the land line and get a freephonline.ca and go voip.

For business, i fired telus as my phone provider and went with voip.ms changing my monthly phone costs from $65 to $2 +0.1c/6sec. The quality and features have been excellent, and it has me thinking of doing the same with my home telco needs.

No bandwidth caps and I don't have the need for Live sports or news, so the internet has been my source of entertainment.

If anyone has a better combo for phone/6.0, please let me know, I 'd like to negotiate the same price too!

Comments:

Review by crypt0 See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
Bad "Ripped off."
Overall "Greed."

They increased the monthly charges by $5 and decreased data limit by 50%... then started to nickle and dime me for the "extra" usage that was included in the previous agreement. Moved to cable for double the speed, a little less usage then previous package but still less then what I average, all for the same price as Telus after extra charges.

Comments:

Review by hindumagic See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "solid, stable connection"
Bad "far too expensive for a slow connection"
Overall "Have no problems, but the price has slowly increased without a speed increase. Tired of being exploited."

Have been a customer for over a dozen years. Since cancelling the landline, and not opting for tv or other bundled services, the price was increased from $35 to $42. Fine, but now it has slowly increased to $47 (before tax). Speed has not been bumped up with those price increases. In fact, last time I moved, they realized I was still on their ultra-slow service and bumped me up to what I should be getting for what I'm paying (that was 5 years ago when we had their land line too).

Currently 5 down and 0.7 up for $47. Not worth it. Moving to Teksavvy for 15 down, 1 up no cap for $48. The real complaint is value for money, and I'm being exploited.

Otherwise their service is stable and have had no issues there. When issues were encountered in the past, had to wade through the stupid flowchart questions without getting to the real problem (I'm a developer and know what I'm talking about - had to fake that I was using Windows too).

Comments:

Review by j_a_t_h See Profile

• Location: Calgary,AB
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Fast Speed all day long"
Bad "Have to reset TV once every 2 weeks"
Overall "Trouble getting setup, good once that is done."

·TekSavvy DSL
Having issues with Telus internet cutting out and TV not working, Telus responce to my issues F*** Y**. They do not care about there services or how they treat there customers. I am stuck with Telus until my contract runs out. NEVER SIGN A CONTACT WITH TELUS. You change the term of the contact, lie about the terms. It is hard to believe but they are making Shaw look like an honest company.

Order Telus HS Enhanced. I received a email telling me that my modem would be mailed to me in 3 days and welcomes me to lite-speed.I call back the next day to make sure that I had order the HS Enhanced and not the lite-speed, they show that I am signed up for Enhanced. On the forth day I still have not received my modem but I am being charged. I called Telus to ask about the modem and the person told me that the modem takes about 10-12 days to show up, he then said he would credit me one week. I finally get the modem after 11 days, hook up goes fine. I test the line it is 1.2megs. I then check my Telus customer service and surprise I have only been signed up normal High speed, of course being the weekend the customer service is closed. So I signed up for Enhanced, was told I lite and ended up with normal.

Update Sept 12 2006 - There have been a few times when the service has been down, 3 times in the last 9 months for about 12 hours combined. This is much better then Shaw where it was down about 6 hours a month. They increased the speed from 2.5 to 3 which can be seen. The best part in the speed is the same all day, until Shaw where it was dial-up speeds during prime time.

Update Feb 17 2007 - The news server have been useless for about 6 months, but the system has only been down for one hour in the last 6 months. The speed is about 2.2 megs on a 3.0 meg line. I do up to 120Gigs a month up and down and have not been contacted. Over all I am happy with the service.

Updated Sept 3 2007: the connection has been cutting out for weeks now, of course when you call to find out what is happening, by the 1-2 hours to get though the connection has been remade and all is fine on their end. The news server are worthless now, mostly incomplete. My speed has dropped to 1.8 mbps on a 3.0 line. When I ask about this slow down they say everything is OK on their end, it must be a problem with my computer. My computer is clean and running fine. My contract with Telus is over in 3 months and I will be going back to shaw.

Updated Sept 2008: Telus no longer supports binary news group, but the connection has been stable and the top speed is 2.9 megs with an average of about 2.3 megs on a 3.0 line. Has not complained that I have been downloading up to 180 gigs a month, this is the main reason I do not switch to Shaw is they download/upload limit

Update Nov 2009 - Called to get upped to 6/1 . Talked to a person that I could not understand. Received a new modem/router and set it up. Had to call back to get my line synced up to the 6/1. Talked to someone who spoke English and they explained how I was to give back the old modem. I get about 5.7/.6 from the line so I am happy. Does not go down much. Has been down for about 12 hours in the last year. No charges for going over the 60 gigs which is good because I average 80-90 gigs a month.

Update July 2011- Changed to Telus TV and upgraded to 15mbs line and I am receiving 13.7 download and 0.7 upload. The TV has had some issues about every 2 weeks I have to unplug the receiver and plug in back in to reset the box. This take about 2 minutes until the TV is usable. The install of the TV did not go so straight, they had to delete and recreate my account to get it to work. So the issue was not with the physical install but at the head office. Because of my account being recreate my account at Telus.com no longer worked. The person I contacted at Telus to get the Telus website account working was not any help. He went thought the script 3 times blaming me for it not working. The rep was very rude. I finally convinced him to delete the account and let me re-create it. It took 3 tries for him to delete the account correctly. As always with Telus, a headache to get setup but great was it is up and going.

• Location: V3E3K
  • Telco party Telus
Good "Good speed and availability"
Bad "Email service and customer service"
Overall "Just OK...if something comes cheaper I will move for sure."

I have the TELUS ADSL Internet service.  The speed and availability is fine, no complains.  The email service however is terrible.  It times out, it says that the "service is temporarely unavailable"...to open my email accounts, I have to try to login at least 3 times, same situation to send emails...it times out and it says "service unavailable"...some times I cannot evev save the draft versions.  I have contacted TELUS a few times and teh answer is "try other browsers"...I'm using Internet Explorer 9 and I have tried Mozilla with the same results.  Please not that I have other email services like Gmail and I do not have any problems whatsoever with these other accounts.  Thanks

(review was emailed from domain telus.net)

Comments:

Review by korupt See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "very few outages"
Bad "poor tech and customer service"
Overall " BAD"

·Shaw
poor - poor / how many times can I say poor service.in 2 months the contact is over and all telus services will be dumped including my phone service.

They have been gone for a year now, and will never have Telus in my house again. Too many other service providers providing the same for less money and hassle.

Comments:

Review by DebandGlenn See Profile

• Location: Trail,BC
  • Telco party Telus
Good "The bundle could be good value"
Bad "The internet service and support are unacceptable"
Overall "I'll keep trying to make it work"

Changed from another ADSL provider who reliably provided 3.0 Mbps downloads without outages. Telus hasn't been able to provide that service without outages (9 in 14 days), so they throttled back my line to 2.5 Mbps, then 2.0 Mbps service. I don't know if it's the Actiontec modem, but I'm suspicious. Neither Chat support nor telephone technical support have been helpful. Am awaiting a call from a supervisor.

Comments:

GaiaChaos
The Illusion of Gaia

join:2006-11-08
Vancouver, BC

TELUS' profit goes to greedy investors

There is no use calling support. TELUS is one of the corporations that outsources workers. In this case, the call centre is located in the Phillipines. So really, the only solution is to switch to another provider.

The person in charge would be one of the managers in the head office. They don't have a supervisor in the call centre. So I suggest contacting the head office.