Integra Telecom page on DSLReports

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Good "The best vendor I have to work with for our business."
Bad "Home lines are outside their service area so I can't get their service for home."
Overall "Simply the Best, Better Then All the Rest.!"

I have been with Integra since Dec. of 2001. I love their service. We
were with Qwest before they were reorganized. They were a disaster. It
was never their problem, the problem was always "in the building".
Fortunately we had connection to a higher up which always managed to get
the problem fixed. During their demises we tried Telligent, who promptly
went under after we switched. We then moved to Integra. They have been absolutely the
best. I have an account manager that deals with our account and I can
call her any time. We rarely have any issues (once maybe twice a
year) with our T1 or our DSL service, but when we do their service
department is one of the best I have ever dealt with. They answer the
phone in 2 or 3 rings. They get the information and call back within a
half hour to inform me what the issue is and when they expect it to be
resolved. "We expect it to be fixed by 1:30 PM". When 2:00 PM comes I
can expect a call " Is everything Ok now" It always is.
It isn't always about saving money. It's about service and
reliability. Integra allows me to worry about taking care of business
and not wasting time keeping my phone and DSL up and running. 26
employees with reliable phone and internet is worth every extra dollar I
might be spending. Wonderful company A+

(review was emailed from domain newmanltc.com)

Comments:

Review by JTC See Profile

• Location: Beaverton,Washington,OR
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
  • Telco party Integra Telecom
Good "rock solid connections, 24/7 support"
Bad "limited availability, not much cheaper than residental from VZ"
Overall "If you run a 'business' and need solid support, this is it"

I run my own domain with email, web, etc etc etc. My last ISP (Aracnet) is good, but I got sick of the connection dropping, which required that I call up tech support and have them 'touch' the circuit. As their tech support was not 24/7, on occasion when this would happen, I was without any connection until the next day (and for over three days one holiday weekend).

Former coworker used to work for Integra and liked them, so I though I would give them a shot.

First and foremost, Integra, as least in my area, is a business-class CLEC. However, what defines a business apparently can be defined in different ways...

Pre Sales information: The usual. I got the base price of the service, but the extra taxes and such were not listed.

Install Co-ordination: This was a mixed bag. While the appointment was made and the installer showed up about when he was supposed to (He got a bit lost trying to find my place, not surprising, the area is easy to get lost in), the signal from the CO was not on the secondary copper pair like it was supposed to be. This was quickly corrected for the voice side, but the DSL was not working either, nor did I receive the pair of statics I ordered.

After about 20 minutes of testing and tweaking, the DSL was running, but that still left the problem of my missing IP. When I asked the installer about them, he told me that he was only given the single IP and that I should call in. I did so, and asked that they call my cell phone when they allocate the second IP I ordered, then proceeded to go out to eat.

Once I got back, I found that the data connection was non-functional. Calling tech support (it was around 7PM at this time) got me in contact with the NOC, who informed me that the IP numbers had changed. Positive: I received my pair of numbers. Negitives: They did not call me back on the number I requested, I really should have received the two IP's from the beginning, and when they did get me the correct number of IP's, they changed the one I was originally given, further disrupting my servers.

Connection reliability: In the year+ I have had them, the connection has never once gone down due to anything they did. No outages that I have ever noticed (they do allow for system maintenance outages during a certain time frame, but I've never seen one).

Tech Support: I have to say it's good. The only email exchange I've ever had with them was to get them to forward reverse lookups of my FQDN to my DNS server vs their own reverse tables. About three email exchanges were done (I send, they reply) before the requested changes were done (the fourth and fifth exchange was me realizing the tech I was emailing was yet another former coworker, and me congratulating him for gelling the heck out of the hell hole I worked with him at).

Services: I gave this one a notch above average as they didn't charge me a huge amount more to pump up the volume on my connection from 512 kbit to "up to" 1.5 mbit. I'm only getting around a 700/600 kbit connection, but that's due to my loop length. Still beats the original 512/512 when I first started. Beyond that, I've not partaken of their other services, whatever that may be, as I didn't need the email addresses, web space, etc. I told them right up front I just want the pipe to push the bits through with a few statics, and they didn't try to sell me anything else.

I was impressed that their sales people knew what a dry line was/is (part of the cost of the service is with a voice line. Unfortunately in my area, they are not legally allowed to sell a data line without voice), and they offer symmetric DSL lines.

Value for money: As far as DSL lines go, I think it's an OK deal. Up to 1.5 mbit both directions data line (with voice), a pair of statics and 24/7 support for under 100 bucks US. From what I've seen, if the ISP even knows what a symmetric line is, they tend to charge quite a bit more for it over an async line. The monthly bill would be considerably less if I didn't have to have POTS (VZ would have made me take it as well for the residential service) and it wasn't taxed as hard due to it being a business line, but for about the same as I was paying for VZ and aracnet, I've got a much better class of service.

Did I mention that the longer the contract you sign up for, the less they charge per month?

member for 12.9 years, 2646 visits, last login: 231 days ago

Comments:

Review by marksnark See Profile

• Location: Seattle,King,WA
Good "Always works!"
Bad "Lack of instructions, initial hook up numbers wrong."
Overall "Satisfied"

Sorry, no drama stories here. They did have wrong IP address and gateway address wrong on the delivery papers, but that was quickly corrected.

Ordered March 2003, delivery and installation prompt. Ordered for both Seattle and Portland offices, switched from Qwest. 512/512. Static IP. Do not recall any downtime.

Paradyne Modem in Seattle was in routing mode, recently needed to be changed to bridging mode (hope that is right). They were able to change that remotely and within a few hours.

That is about it, it works and when needed support has been there.

Thanks

Comments:

Review by Scrabble See Profile

• Location: Prior Lake,Scott,MN
  • Telco party Integra Telecom
Good "Good connectivity, Easy install. Office close by. NO Packet Loss"
Bad "Could have better d/l speed and something wasn't 'typed' in right and I had to wait 10 hours for them to fix it."

Integra is the ISP and telco which is good, I think. I only had one problem with the install and that was after I had done all the installation it wasn't working properly. All I had to do was call tech support, and after one or two..... rings of the phone a support person picked up. Good thing was I could tell he wasn't a moron. After we figured out that I had done everything correctly he checked something out and apparently they had type in something wrong on their in, at least thats what I think happened. Anyways he said he'd put a 'Ticket' up and I'd have service by the time I got home the next day. He was incorrect. At 8 a.m. someone call and said, 'Can you launch up IE and see if you can get to a website'. WAAAHLAAA, I could.

Its 256 SDSL static if that matters, so my d/l speeds aren't smoking, they are always 27K/s or so, except overseas where it's 23K/s or so. I however don't d/l a lot. I play games and I haven't had a problem yet with lag or packet loss.

I also know in this area you can get the cable modem in this area but they are switching to ATT currently. I think I'll wait a year and see if they have any problems in that time. Don't know the speed they are offering either

member for 12.8 years, 25 visits, last login: 12.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by linford See Profile

• Location: Salt Lake City,Salt Lake,UT
  • CLEC party: Integra Telecom
Good "Great speeds and low over subscription rate of 10:1 excess of speeds paid for of 768Kbps"
Bad "Paradyne modem is not NAT capable, must use a NAT DHCP capable router seperately"
Overall "Great service from local company, not a careless monopoly. Great package price including ISP 8 IP adresses and 2 e-mail accounts"

Over all I believe that the 768 Kbps DSL from Integra Telecom is superb. i am in SLC Utah and only a few players are viable here who have a local presence and that is important to me. QWorst is the incumbent and have an arrogance about them that is untolerable. I am glad to have a choice now. Integra Telecom successfully deployed a switch in Utah within 1 year and I have heard a lot of buzz about the service. thisis the reason for my switching all 6 local lines, long distance as well as getting DSL. Other firms in town that are currently reselling QWorst local service approached me however they only rebill for service provided and they are not their own proveder. i.e. Eschelon, McLeodUSA. not great, I've heard.

Comments:

Review by Andy

• Location: Kent,King,WA
  • CLEC party: Integra Telecom
Good "Maybe Johnny Qwest should be on a quest for a new home with Integra!"
Overall "A phone company that believes people would rather talk to people"

I am the operations mgr for Poblano Carpet Cleaning, Inc. We switched
phone service from Qwest to Integra Telecom back in Oct 2000, and have
been nothing but pleased since. The bills are easy to understand and I
can actually talk to a real live person when I have a question about
something. They also have better features than Qwest, including remote
administration of my call forwarding (helpful since much of my time is
spent in the field). We also added DSL a couple of months later, and
they had it up within 10 days of my call. We pay 70.00/mo for 256, but
it consistently connects at over 300! Outages have been few...maybe
two, always pre-planned and in the middle of the night...they've always
notified us with a personal phone call and always at least a week in
advance. They didn't do our inside wiring, but they did assist in
setting up the computers ahead of time so all I had to do was plug it
in...very helpful, friendly people always. The technicians who punched
down the lines were not at all 'tech snobs' and answered every question
I could think of and left me their cards. Overall very friendly,
helpful company to deal with and I've reccomended them to about 10 other
businesses who have called for references!
Andy Bates

(review was emailed from domain poblanoonline.com)

Comments:

Review by utahtaxwiz See Profile

• Location: Midvale,Salt Lake,UT
  • Telco party Qwest
  • CLEC party: Integra Telecom
Good "They're not Qwest! Bills are easy to read. Service works."
Bad "New in town so they're working out some bugs."
Overall "They're not Qwest!"

I switched my 4 phones lines for local and long distance service, and signed up for DSL sometime in October, maybe September when they were just getting started in the Salt Lake area. Phone lines were ported over at the end of November, DSL hooked up about 1/15/01.

I signed up for a business grade 512/512 connection (static IP, no PPPoe), but I'm getting 620-630kbs up and down speeds. Cost is $70/mo including ISP fee. I still do not have any mail server information, so I'm glad I have my own domain and my hosting company lets me use SMTP through them.

Integra provided the DSL modem, something from Paradyne. I connected it to a Linksys EtherFast Router, and then to my network. Getting net access to all machines was pretty simple. I like the Linksys router. It provides DCHP services and NAT, but I'm not deleting ZoneAlarm just yet.

Bad points: The guy just hooked up the modem and gave me a handwritten list of DNS servers, IP address, gateway, etc. No documentation on the modem at all, no other helpful configuration info. I had to learn how to connect everything based on the help files from the Linksys Router (again great hardware!)

Had my first service outage today (1/26/01) for about 20 minutes. Not sure of reason.

2/1/00 - Update. Got SMTP info from tech guys. Connections are consistently fast and on. They are still working out some bugs in the telephone line department, but I'm quite satisfied so far. When everything works smoothly, I will start recommending them to others.

member for 14 years, 27 visits, last login: 13 years ago