MSN page on DSLReports

• Location: New York,New York,NY
  • Telco party Verizon
  • CLEC party: Verizon
Good "MSN SOFTWARE"
Bad "Never got to use it,,,"
Overall "Never got to use it...."

I had MSN dial up service and it was time for an upgrade! I called and ordered their DSL package (768/128). I told them that I had 2 different phone lines in my home... and gave them the number that I wanted DSL in... I got the modem a week later and when the line got provisioned I find that the telco made a mistake and placed DSL in the wrong line... I give MSN a call and then they file a ticket.... 2 weeks later still no DSL.... Solution! I sent the modem back.... cancelled MSN dial up and singed up with AOL dial up....

Comments:

Review by SocialistPig See Profile

• Location: Centralia,Lewis,WA
Good "Not a one!"
Bad "MSN is terrible."
Overall "They don't care about their customers!"

I am no longer with MSN. Terrible ISP.

member for 13 years, 5380 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by skate4ltj See Profile

• Location: Denver,Adams,CO
  • CLEC party: Qwest
Good "New 1.5down/896up is a DREAM"
Bad "None, believe it or not!"
Overall "Better than cable speed, cheaper than cable prices"

I used to have the Qwest Choice Deluxe package with 640/256, but we recently got upgraded to the 1.5/896. Actual speed tests about 1.2/660. Couldn't be happier for the money. Only complaint is: we were switched over to the new system 4/19/04, but no one told us like they promised to. So I called 4/26/04 and they said we have to get the new modem and the new speed would be activated 5/3/04. Received the modem on 4/28/04, hooked it all up (way better modem than the original MSN one we had. Has 802.11g built in. they said the modem also had a 4-port router for wired, but it didn't, so still had to keep my Linksys router hooked up). On 5/3/04 speed was turned on as promised. Yay!

Comments:

Review by disorder See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Fairfax,VA
  • Telco party Verizon
  • CLEC party: Covad
Good "I guess the butterfly does make it better (AOL)."
Bad "Too expensive! (Atleast was until it merged with Verizon Online)."
Overall "It's good to switch from AOL if you are still a internet newbie."

Comments:

Review by BeanBag See Profile

• Location: Auburn,King,WA
  • CLEC party: Qwest
Good "The new speeds are great, made me alot happier then I was"
Bad "Stupid DSL1000 modem can't be configured to disable firewall/Service drops out sometimes"
Overall "It's either this or Comcast, I guess I'll stick with this for now."

I first got MSN's 678/256 deal, and it was alright, but I've never been very happy with the speeds, espcially for gaming. Installation was a breeze, everything worked first try. I got the crappy DSL1000 modem, I hope soon to get a different one so I can open up some ports for gaming. Only once so far has my service been very poor with really slow speeds in the year I've had it. It took a call to tech support, and the guy really didn't know what I was talking about, and had me trying all sorts of weird things, but a day later everything was back to normal. I recently got upgraded to the 1.5/896 and I must say thus far I'm very happy. My cost still stayed at $49 a month. Now I just have to get a better modem.

10/26/05--Service has been off and on now. I'll drop my connection, and then it will come back a minute or so later. Annoying it is.

• Location: Socorro,Socorro,NM
Good "Works great"
Bad "Qwest wasn't upfront about costs of "free" installation, horrid customer service."
Overall "Qwest=Qworst, but it works anyway"

I recently ordered DSL service from Qwest in Socorro NM. Qwest was offering
"free" installation. I went ahead and ordered the basic DSL service, plus
MSN internet service, and decided to rent the actiontech DSL modem from
Qwest.

I learned that the "free installation" actually meant that Qwest would
ship me the DSL modem, and I would install it myself. I received the
DSL modem and installed it on the date that they said the service
would be turned on. It worked immediately, and I was getting very
close to 256Kbps bandwidth on file transfers to a machine on the east
coast, so bandwidth was quite good. I've made no use of the MSN
account (I use my work address for email) so I can't comment on it.

One minor problem with the actiontech that I quickly discovered is that
its NAT functionality includes a very dumb configuration setting- the NAT
forwarding forgets that a connection exists after 15 minutes of inactivity.
I solved the problem by simply setting my Linux machine to use keepalives
after 14 minutes of inactivity.

The only really negative aspect of my experience came when I received the
first bill a month later. The DSL related charges were:

- $31.99 for Qwest DSL Service with MSN.

- $3.87 in taxes and universal service fee on the above. Qwest never told
me about this charge, but I knew it was coming and wasn't surprised.

- $9.99 for "DSL CPE SHIP". This was explained to me as a charge for
shipping the DSL modem tome. i.e. they lied about "free" installation.

The funny thing is that they didn't bill me $3.00 for the rental of the
actiontech.

I read the fine print fairly carefully, and never saw anything about
this shipping charge. After wasting fifteen minutes trying to get
ahold of someone who could explain this charge, and being told that
"Our system is down so I can't get to your account.", I simply gave up
and paid the bill.

Ordinarily I would try to avoid dealing with a business that treats
its customers so badly. However, our local cable company (Comcast)
isn't yet offering (and hasn't set a date) broadband access, so Qwest
is the only game in town.

(review was emailed from domain nmt.edu)

Comments:

Review by rbsmith2000 See Profile

• Location: Arvada,Jefferson,CO
Good "Good if it works"
Bad "Huge outages covering multiple Colorado cities for days"
Overall "Don't bet your life or livelihood on it"

Can count on outages over multiple cities in the Denver area that last several days. Currently in 4 day outage. MSN nor Qwest can say what the problem is or can predict if or when it will be over. Same thing happened last year and outage in general Denver area lasted 6 days. Weather is definitely not a factor. It's a beautiful sunny spring day today. These guys are clueless on running a network. My house network (HPNA) has higher reliability.

Comments:

Review by unclefhoppy See Profile

• Location: West Jordan,Salt Lake,UT
  • CLEC party: Qwest
Good "Qwest was very helpful in getting order info re-sent to MSN (MSN servers seemed to always be down some reason or another!)."
Bad "MSN servers down. They couldn't access my account for 3 days!"
Overall "A very rocky start, but equipment did show up as originally promised."

I reformatted and did a fresh install of WIN XP Pro SP1 Monday evening(31/MAR) when I saw that my DSL modem had arrived. While Windows was installing, I read all of the manuals that came with the modem. The next morning (first of April), I installed the software and hooked up all the cables as instructed. Nothing worked! I called MSN Tier 3 Tech Support, and we started to troubleshoot the PROBLEMS. It took 2 hours, starting with dailing the #, going through the options menu, waiting on "hold for the next available representative", to getting the damn thing (sort of) working!

It's been 5 days now since starting with MSN DSL BroadBand, and so far, I have spent more time on the phone with "tech support" than working and/or surfin' the net! Every day, it's something else wrong! And every day, it seems that my connection gets slower, if and when it works at all!

So far, I'm really impressed with MSN (I was forced to migrate to MSN dial-up last year, and it was and is just as impressive!)!!!

17/MAR/2004: Called Qwest a week ago and found out that both of my phone lines are DSL qualified and now rated for 640k service. Shannon put in the upgrade order and said it would be 5 business days to complete (and several dollars cheaper that my 256k service!). Came home tonight with a voice message stating "it should be up and running". It was and I am very happy with Qwest. Plus, and I don't know how long it will last, I have 1224k down and 588 up! But I still want to dump MSN (India Tech Support!) and go back to Qwest.net for my ISP. I was extremely happy with Qwest Tech Support back in the day!

Comments:

Review by gayboi3129 See Profile

• Location: Sumner,Pierce,WA
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Good Content, Fast Speed, Better Modem"
Bad "Sometime drops service"
Overall "Its a great service for me and my family."

YAY, Qwest finaly added 1.5Mbits/1Mbits. It works very good with the new MSN software that came with it. I had MSN when it was 640k/256k, this is a great inprovment. Know if Qwest will make it 3Mbits/1.5Mbits. But i love the service, i use it with my MSN Radio Plus account and it works great. I just wish MSN would add more Content. And that Qwest could tell me why my Line will drop the Signal. Its like the Signal disappears. The modem is good, i think it works great. Overall i am very ahppy with it, it does what i want.

member for 10.5 years, 167 visits, last login: 3.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by BloodMist See Profile

• Location: Fort Lupton,Weld,CO
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "Everything you could ever want really"
Bad "I don't think i can host game servers.Big whup."
Overall "If you can't get cable, it's fantastic."

Update:It's been about, i dunno, 4 months now, and the service is still solid.Also, it looks like i'll be paying 45 a month after a year, as the prices have been reduced.MSN is, of course, still supplying the service.They did not leave the DSL arena, at least not with Qwest anyway.

Okay, well, the place i've lived at for 4 years is in kind of a rural area, sorta.So, for 4 years, i had nothing but dialup, which really sucked because at the place i lived before i had cable.So i mean it really, REALLY sucked.4 years on dialup.After cable.Needless to say, it was god awful.

But then, finally, at long last, the horrible phone company here, Qwest, got DSL available where i live.Needless to say i was happy as can be.The horrible cable company, Comcast, STILL doesn't have cable internet here, BTW.So i'm checking things out, seeing what they got.So i see you can get MSN powered by Qwest 650k/256k for only $40 a month for a whole year, and $50 after that.With free activation and free equipment.No cancellation fee either.And, if i keep it for at least a year, i actually own the modem.Never having to return it.The only catch is i had to pay 10 bucks for the shipping of the modem.Big whup.

Allright, so i sign up for it, everything is explained to me, every charge, everything.It's great, so i go for it.It takes 7 days for Qwest to get the service on.Took 2 days after that to get the modem.So the modem arrives, and i plug it in...

And it works flawlessly.It gets a signal, just like that.You think you have to install some software?Hell no.I didn't have to install a single piece of software, and anyone who installs the MSN 8 software is a sucker.I just brought up a browser and went into a webpage, it went to the activation page, it activated, and it was ready to go.The wonderment after all that time on dialup.It was like i had been broken out of prison, you know what i mean.

Anyway, so i do some tests to see how fast my download is.65KB a second.I try it again.65KB a second.And this is the way it's been ever since.There has not been one time where my connection has slowed down, the server i'm connecting to permitting.It always goes as fast as possible.It's fantastic.And downtime?None yet.I've had it for about a month, so it could go down sometime in the future, i guess.

Okay, anyway, my first couple of days i hit a snag:i couldn't play any games online.So i was like, WTF is this??So i try going to this website, and it appears that the modem i got, the Arescom 800, does not allow any ports to go through, which not only means no games, but also means no networking.That is according to everybody on this and other websites.Okay, s othe next day i call up MSN, and they tell me the same thing.

Well unfortunately, the people on this site, and the MSN rep are morons, because after a little investigating on MSN's support site i found out there was a firmware upgrade you could install for the modem.I installed it, and BAM, no more problems.I can play any game online to my hearts content.I can also network through a router, simple as can be.Wireless or not(i have a wireless router with a 4 port hub as well).

I've played RTCW, ET, MOH, CS, AND Halo online.I get pings of anywhere between 100, and 60.I am very, very happy.

So, in closing, it was very easy to set up, required NO SOFTWARE to install, and the service is superb, having no downtime, and constantly going at the speed as advertised.I can do anything you can do on any broadband connection.There's no restrictions, there's no problems.And i can't even say that about cable.It's speed would go up and down.

Oh, and for the record, don't try to tell me how much better cable is, because i can download 100 MB in less than half an hour.I can download one megabyte in about 12 seconds.And i can download 400 MB in 2 hours.So, i'm not bad off, at all.Sure if they had cable here i'd get it, but they don't.But it's not that much faster, so i'm not complaining.And i'm not inept, so i didn't have any problems.