Cincinnati Bell page on DSLReports

Review by ff2366 See Profile

• Telco party Cincinnati Bell
Good "$89 for a gig link - fantastic."
Bad "None that I can think of."
Overall "Best deal around."

What's not to love - a gig link for $89 a month. Keep in mind the need for a gig router and gig switches.

Comments:

Review by tech90 See Profile

• Location: Cincinnati,Hamilton,OH
  • Telco party Cincinnati Bell
Good "It is cheaper than Time Warner Cable"
Bad "Phone Support Overseas hard to understand"
Overall "If you can handle the poor overseas support it is cheaper than Time Warner Cable"

I had Fioptics for three months the service has been rock solid until now. I am having intermittent issues with connecting to the internet. When this happens my dsl light is solid and still has an IP. Cincinnati Bell has an intermittent server problem that causes you to lose internet access for about 5 to 10 minutes.

Comments:

Review by keever See Profile

• Location: Cincinnati,Hamilton,OH
  • Telco party Cincinnati Bell
Good "Ordering, install, quality"
Bad "minor wireless issue. Have to pay $10 per month for "local service desk" vs Phillipines"
Overall "Through install and day one would sign up again"

Long time Time Warner/Roadrunner customer. Have advantage of not living in dense neighborhood so RR provided about 11-15Mgb up and 1Mgb down. Problem was the bill- I had to argue with Time Warner every 6 months and prices still keep going up. Aged Cisco DVRs and interface are absolute junk. After a bit of jockeying with our CBT sales person monthly all agreed upon and install less than 5 days later. Told CBT before tech came out that it needed to be a senior person, well organized and capable or else I wasn't going to switch from Time Warner. We have true FTTH; installation is most critical time. Tech offered to use Coax/Cat 5 convertor but I insisted on new Cat 5 pull. Zytel CPE installed to ZTE DVR(s.) 1 whole house DVR for 2 TV sets and 1 separate DVR for bedroom. (remember you can't "pause" local TV unless there is a DVR direct attach) Have house set up with Airport for WiFi- minor NAT issue upon initial config, adjusted settings and all working. I'll have to give cautious, early credit, telephone, television and 30/10 internet up and running as expected in less than 4 hours. ZTE GUI/interface on ZTE seems ok, great if you consider what we came from with Cisco interface. Have done a few SpeedTests and noticed some spikes at times but non-service affecting. Will report more after 30 days.

Comments:

Review by zach1008 See Profile

• Location: Florence,Boone,KY
  • Telco party Cincinnati Bell
Good "so far things are good"
Bad "took a while to get installed but it was sub zero out"
Overall "will continue to update as time goes"

So I made the switch once the service was available. Install tech said I am the first in the neighborhood to have a cross-connect from the fiber post to the copper post for the neighborhood. We have Fiber to the neighborhood at this point. There is a possibility we will get FTTH in the future but they say the cost is making it a slower build out. For now I will give this a try. With the copper for the last mile I get a 50meg pipe into the house that brings TV and internet service. The ZTE gateway then provides the tv and internet connectivity. TVs can be connected with the Coax and a MoCA network or via Cat5e to the network. I have 3 TV's on MoCA and 1 on Ethernet. The Whole home dvr works for them all. The internet service I have is currently capped at 20meg which is what I had from TW but rarely got the full bandwidth. I have tested the speed using several test sites and am regularly getting what I am paying for.

A note about the sales process, it was great. I worked with a local rep that was up front and honest with me about what I can expect to get and based on the data in the system what I could get and actually have in terms of number of TV's and internet speed. If you are considering the switch contact me directly and I will share the Rep's name and number for you to mention that I referred you. It will save both of us $100 dollars over 10 months on top of any other discounts/promo rates.

The installation technician was excellent. He explained how things worked and what to expect with the setup. I have not had this kind of service in years from technician or sales for TV and internet. I felt bad for the tech as he was out in the sub zero temps working to get things connected and working for me. I have had the service for a day and half as of writing this review and so far things have worked as expected. I did create an issue trying to set things up for my work from home office. I enabled the DMZ to allow any and all traffic pass to my Cisco ASA and doing so caused freezing for the tvs. As an alternative, I have turned that back off and just setup NAT rules for a handful of ports that I need opened. Now the TV's work great and I can have my work network setup as before.

Since it is new, I will spend some time with the DVR and rest of the services and update my posting in the coming weeks. Installation occurred on Jan 6 for future reference.

Comments:

Review by lmg123 See Profile

• Location: usa
Bad "s l o w. half the minimum speed promised."

We just wanted high speed internet and a lan line. I think I've spent dozens of hours trying to become, and now being a Cincinnati Bell customer. We have no choice in this building. I am stunned by just how terrible the service is on all levels. I am not exaggerating on hours either. Every part of my dealings with them so far have been just amazingly bad. Who runs this company? I am awaiting a tech visit tomorrow. It's our 2nd. If we could change companies we would. I had Time Warner for years. We moved and I can honestly say I miss them. Now we are stuck with zoomtown and direct tv.

Wish us luck. The "high sped internet" is awful. We were promised 5 mbps. Now i see the fine print says up to 5 mbps, minimum 750 kbps. Well - that stinks - but we are not even getting half of the lowest promised speed. Ugh.

Last Result:

Download Speed: 324 kbps (40.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 431 kbps (53.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Latency: 247 ms

Comments:

Review by dcurrey See Profile

• Location: Mason,Warren,OH
Good "Got FTTH"
Bad "Minor glitch day 3 and no bridge mode on modem."
Overall "Wait and see how it goes long term"

·ViaTalk
11-24-13

CinciBell has been running new fioptics lines in my neighborhood since around Labor Day. On the Nov. 19 sales dude shows up at door offers me Fioptics Elite with 20meg internet and whole house dvr (2 tvs) for $97 will this is $30 less than I am paying Time warner. I don't have whole house dvr and only get 15meg internet if I am lucky. So I signed up.

Next day he called and had install set for Nov. 21st.

Guy took 4 hours to do about 1 hours worth of work. Manly he used existing wiring cat5 line and existing cable line to hookup modem. ZTE brand modem. Added a Acatel Lucent ONT in the basement this connects to the fiber line. That in tern hooks up to outside cutoff on side of house. Fiber then lays on ground to it hit pedestal. To be buried shortly.

Install could have been better If I had known in advance that the would cable modem back feeds the coax lines I just would have had the cable modem installed next to lucent device. As it stands now the lines run from one side of house to other then back to home run box then back out across house again. Just should of had a 6 foot coax run and new cat5 line from cable modem to my router.

As far as service goes I actually get close to advertised speeds. Far cry better than TW was giving me. CB refuses to put router in bridge mode this is causing me some minor issues since I am doing double NAT.

Tv picture seems on par with TW. Only two issues was first have an 15 year old CRT type TV that only has one composite video feed. Was already in use by ruko so I had to unhook it. Seems CB doesn't use coax out on the cable boxes. Oh well time to upgrade TV. Second was my main remote didn't support the ZTE cable tv boxes. Had to program each button off new remotes. Neither of these issues was CB fault just annoying for me.

First glitch wan on Nov. 23. Both tvs lost feed back to cable modem after calling tech support (completely useless. BTW) and several reboots later I managed to get the network access back up. (barely) Network light on tv cable box is now orange instead of green and I get a lot of random skipping and pixel blocks in action sequence.

Later that day then sent a tech out but don't think he did anything other than swap a couple cables out. Picture does seem to have returned to normal that night. Light is still orange but they say that indicates its linked for update.

Canceled my TW service on Sunday morning but thats another story.

Update as needed.

member for 10.4 years, 4193 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by TBM See Profile

• Location: Loveland,Clermont,OH
Good "Price"
Bad "HD not quite as good as Directv."
Overall "Worth the $Savings."

Hello all,

I recently switched my internet and tv service so I thought it was time to give my impressions on the new , to my neighborhood, Cincinnati Bell Fioptics service. I am coming from TWC Roadrunner Standard Internet service (up to 10 Mbps for 53.95 a month) and Directv Satellite service (choice xtra package with HD Dvr, and second sd receiver in the bedroom for approx. $80.00 per month.

Price for the Fioptics (FTTH) Service for 20/5 Mbps service and Elite TV package (approx 200+ channels, 100 HD) NO CONTRACT is 74.99 a month. So I am getting twice as fast internet and tv for less than my previous tv package. Savings of $55.00 a month. You can't beat that!

The Installation took around 5 hrs and the tech was friendly and knowledgeable. He installed the fiber from the pole to a new ont in my garage. Then he ran cat 5 to my HD set and gateway and coax for a second tv in the attic. The gateway/Router is a ZTE ZXHN H368C You won"t find much info on the net about this router so I am not sure of the features. Everything is run from this box. My HD DVR is self branded B703V3 HD DVR which supports HDMI with Dolby Digital Plus.

The Internet service IS as advertised. I consistently get slightly under 20 Mbps and 5 Mbps up. Awesome! The wireless seems fine with decent range (although I live in a small house) YMMV.

The HD signal is ok. I do seem to have some motion blur that I never noticed with directv. Also the colors presented seem to be oversaturated, so some adjustment may be required. I have never had my set professionally calibrated but i did set it according to some that have, I got my settings from AVS forum poster and it was a great picture on Directv. I can live with these issues for the money saved but if you are sensitive to motion blur or a color purist this may not work for you.

The DVR interface is adequate. It is limited compared to directv, but not too bad. I seen many images and complaints on the interwebs concerning this. I think they must have updated or redesigned it because the speed is good and it looks nothing like the images I've seen. The guide comes up full screen and list 6 channels with an info bar of the present channel. It also show 2 hrs. of programming. The format can be changed to list view, which i don"t care for. You can only scroll one channel at a time or enter the channel number to change location in the guide. Setting recordings is simple and straightforward. You can record only new or all episodes on only a single channel or all channels. You can adjust the start and finish time to your liking. I haven't tried it yet, but I am supposed to be able to record 2 shows at once. The tech said the dvr has a 320 GB harddrive so the storage should be adequate.

The Remote is learning remote, URC 2056-CXX. It is very similar to the directv remote and seems to be good. The one thing I love about it is it has backlighting for the keys.

Overall I'm very pleased with the service bang for the buck. I have heard that C Bell likes to raise your rates later and there have been reports of questionable billing practices. I can't speak to that at this time but I will report back if and when anything changes.

Comments:

Review by MommaNancy See Profile

• Location: Cincinnati,Hamilton,OH
  • Telco party Cincinnati Bell
Good "Picture quality when it connects..WHEN IT CONNECTS! is very good...that is all the good!"
Bad "I could go on for hours about the bad! Cost is nearly double the contract, liars, thieves,flat out refuse to correct the issue "
Overall "Never Ever go with Cin Bell for any product for any reason! They lie constantly, C.S is awful! "

I have had my internet, cable & home phone (which I never wanted but was told it would cost me more to delete as it was a BUNDLE!) since 12/18/2012 & have on a constant basis tried to get customer service to explain why the $79.99 advertised price which I have the flyer for is now being billed at $132-140 a month when I never rent movies or use long distance phone charges! And if you think you can just call & speak to a service rep...Ha Ha, you will get some one in Istanbull-Crap or India-Nuttin, for i think they must have 5 Employees that actually are employed in the USof A! They will lie, cheat & just make up crap to get you off the phone, the system goes down daily, and if you attempt to call & don't accept their bullcrap, they transfer you to the "Mythical Department" called "Retention" & never again will they pick up the phone, you are on eternal hold regardless of the hours you sit & wait, they will wait you out & never answer your call! This company has slid on the fast speed lane to Customer Service Hell & I am sure to never to return to anything better! STAY AWAY FROM CINCINNATI BELL FOR ANY SERVICE FOR ANY REASON ! TRUST ME, YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, SO PAY TIME WARNER OR SOMEONE ELSE, THEY ARE A NIGHTMARE & YOUR LIFE WILL NEVER BE THE SAME! A TEARFUL DESPONDENT & DISABLED MAWMAW...MOMMANANCY

Comments:
ElmST_PM

join:2013-04-22
Cincinnati, OH

Cincinnati DSL Review

“I work for Cincinnati Bell and we have an active Social Media Team. If you submit your issue here »tinyurl.com/CBSocialSupport or email cincinnati.bell@fuse.net, our social media team will help you.”

Review by Shortcirkit See Profile

• Telco party Cincinnati Bell
Good "Blazing fast at everything!!!!"
Bad "It took 6 months to get the right technician to make it work"
Overall "Worth it! Just make sure the tech installs new wire to router direct!!!"

Had Time Warner. Too high priced. Had a lot of freezing but finally got it fixed on the 4th of July 2013. Yesterday. Had since December 2012. At first it was okay but things started getting worse after 2 months. Freezing Screens and internet.

But after new cat 5 e cable installed from Box outside direct to modem it is flawless.

I have 6 High Def boxes 2 computers a Roku streaming box and a PlayStation 3 all running on the 50 MB service with no issues as of 11:33 on July 5th 2013

ZTE Set Top Boxes and Zyxel Modem Combo. No more dongle for TV..

Tim was my tech yesterday. He is the best for sure.

Comments:

Review by ITpro452 See Profile

• Location: Cincinnati,Hamilton,OH
Good "Modern technology (fiber). U.S.A. tech support."
Overall "Satisfied customer. Good value."

I have FTTN (fiber to the node, then DSL to the house) internet only, 10mbps down, 1mbps up.

Bottom line- reliability above average, speed as advertised, happy customer.

For you techies out there, here's more detail:

My FTTN has an intermittent latency problem, which manifests as slowly loading web pages. For the most part, it does not interrupt my work, as it tends to resolve itself within a couple hours. It happens every couple weeks.

No ISP is going to help with anything beyond a simple speed test, but this type of latency does not degrade speed tests. The more I read about different ISP's, I think CinBell is above average in their performance and support.

My problem is most likely in the old wiring in the house, but it could be tree limbs drooping on the wire in weather events. Or it could be some bizarre interference on the street DSL from my bizarre neighbors.

Either way, it's much better than my previous Verizon Wireless hotspot, and I vowed I would never go back to Time Warner 20 years ago.