Cincinnati Bell page on DSLReports

Review by Whonesta See Profile

• Location: Latonia,Kenton,KY
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Products and Customer Service"
Overall "I would not wish Cincinnati Bell service on my worst enemy!"

I have Zoomtown internet service, which is 5mbps download/ 768 kbps upload. I have had this service for over a year and NEVER have I had DL speeds of 50% of the "upto rate". I have spent 20+ hours in the CS loop, which is designed to NEVER solve your problems. I have been offered several discounts/free months, but have yet to receive any. Their technical support is moronic at best, their tier 2 support is aware of their "chronic" network congestion, but have NO plans to upgrade the infrastructure. Because the door-knobs who run the state refuse to regulate ISPs, even the PSC is unable to help with their obvious false advertising and uncountable complaints. DO NOT give this company a dime, for if you do you will only receive BS services and migraines from trying to deal with their outsourced CS. I never thought I would say this, but I am now a Time Worthless customer again... UGH! If I was this bad at my JOB I would be broke! To the cincinnati bell contractors I see trying to save face on this blog, GET A LIFE YOU SCUMBAG LIARS!!

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

Cable225

@fuse.net

Worst experience.

I wouldn't wish my experience to date with Cincinnati Bell Fioptics TV on anyone. I got Cincinnati Bell installed on Monday and my Wednesday is currently coming to an end and I've had a total of aprox. 2 hours where my Cable worked. That was only after I had to call the service number and wait on and off for an hour for the appropriate person to be located that could help with my issue. I've tried unplugging and plugging back in the power source and that has not done any good. I'm not sure if it's just a faulty box or if somehow after the 4 hours it took to install my service (even though my apartment complex is prewired for Cincinnati Bell) that it's not set up properly. Any suggestions?
PW3ND

join:2014-12-06

Re: Worst experience.

Please escalate here: »tinyurl.com/CBSocialSupport

Review by algab See Profile

• Location: Cincinnati,Hamilton,OH
Good "Fast speed when working"
Bad "customer service, Technical support"
Overall "have 30 MB service but keeps dropping to 18, called twice no return calls"

I was on the 10 MB service and was going to upgrade to 20 but had a special going on where I could get 30 MB for the same price for a year along with fiopics TV. I have directv and am locked into a contract. They installed an ZTE H368C Modem/Router combo. I have a Dlink 868L router so I didn't want to use theirs. The service guy didn't know anything and told me I had to call tech support. Now Cincinnati Bell charges 4.99 for this modem per month which is new. I will probably buy my own VDSL modem because I can make changes. No one at customer support was able to help me turn off the router so I had to call their premium service which was $75. I didn't know the IP address to the modem so I had to call them and it was just un-clicking a button. Come to find out the installer dropped my book behind some things which I found out later when I was moving things around.

So, my service keeps dropping to 17 - 18 MB per what I see at the modem and running their speedtest (»highspeed.zoomtown.com/). I have to keep resetting to get it back to 30 MB. I called Cincinnati Bell the first time and the guy did all this stuff over the phone (basically a reset) and told me tech support would give me a call back. NOTHING. Called two weeks later with the same issue and told the guy on the phone I am having this issue again and said tech support will call me back in 2 hrs. It's been 5 hours and nothing. Getting tired of paying for 1/2 of what I am supposed to be getting on a good day.

Product is good but customer service is horrible.

Comments:

Review by NeoRage See Profile

• Location: Cincinnati,Hamilton,OH
Good "The Fioptic speeds are amazing"
Bad "the router installed for with the tv service is pure shit. "
Overall "Speeds are good, CS is ok, Tech can be helpfull, equipment is horrible."

If you get just the Fiber Internet, replace the router with your own. If you get TV service and/or phone you want to replace it with your own router as well but shopping/buying is a little more difficult. Haven't fully found a router that supports the tv like the ZTE pos they give you. Overall they are a lot better then Time Warner, just may need to reboot the router every now and then.

If anyone knows a good replacement for the ZTE router, please let me know. I need TV to work on it.

Comments:
PW3ND

join:2014-12-06
Cincinnati, OH

Router replacement for do-it-yourself support.

Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite. Works 100% of the time. It's all Ethernet, no MOCA.

You will need to BYO wireless and MOCA, but worth it.
NeoRage

join:2006-06-11
·Cincinnati Bell

Re: Router replacement for do-it-yourself support.

I ended up buying the Asus RT-AC66U and loving it. Decided to remove the coaxal running to my room with an ethernet cable so I didn't have to worry about MOCA anymore. Speeds and TV quality are above par. Like you said, once you buy your own equipment Fioptics is well worth it.

Review by MommaNancy See Profile

Good "NOTHING"
Bad "HORRIBLE"
Overall "DO NOT USE CIN BELL FIOPTICS ! NOT ONE PERSON I KNOW IS HAPPY W/THEM!"

·Cincinnati Bell
Sold to us at $97 a month w/o tax for cable, home phone & internet...no installation fee, then the nightmare began! Due Monday, MLK day....No show, no call, nothing...called them...nothing...called again, rescheduled at inconvenient time, cancelled another doctor appt. 2nd Install Day, after installer hurries out the door, discover that night we can not record in the bedroom (main room I record programs),...darn! Really?? Call the salesman & advise them next day...they schedule again an inconvenient appointment & another installer shows up...oh yea, by then we discover NO INTERNET EITHER! NOW I AM REALLY GETTING MAD, DID I MENTION THAT THE 1ST GUY SPILLED A FOREST GREEN BIG CANDLE ALL OVER OUR LIGHT BLUE BEDROOM CARPET??? Yup! So, Thursday the installer & the insurance guy are both here right?? installer is absolutely an angel, young man, oh 29-30 years old should absolutely be given an award, medal or raise & moved to President of Cincinnati Bell, for he & he only seem to have any good sense & true kindness! But, the fact that he worked on the first guys total 100% mess & worked on trying to salvage the computer that had been rebooting every 1.5-2 minutes for the last 48 hours, to no luck & even the Micro Center could not fix so it to is now broke, now he too forgot to install the dvr service in the bedroom! Could not be angry w/him as he was so lovely that he actually ordered me a power cable for my other computer, a laptop, long since thought to dead, tucked in a closet, actually ordered & paid out of his own pocket to have it sent to my home, as he had been here long enough to here my entire life story...disable 6 yeas ago, broke, husband having surgery in 10 days or so....cable actually the one & only luxury in our life! Until it became the nightmare of our life....except for the angel who knocked on our door yesterday....and ordered me the power cord (i ck'd..these things cost 25-65 dollars) ordered the cord so I could tell the cyber world there are still really good folks like him out there, his momma is a dispatcher w/their company too & I hope she see's this, if not for him, I would cancel immediately....but I will warn others..Don't use them ....or if you do use them, ask for the installer who is 29 years old & has a momma working as a dispatcher at Cincinnati Bell, have him install your service...OR DO NOT GET THEIR SERVICE!@....(OH yea..how did we get sold this mess??? Two guys about our age, 50ish came to the door, nice southern drawl....yup, sure made it sound good...so beware, devil comes dressed & sounding like a sheep .....

Comments:

Review by cjm238 See Profile

• Location: Oxford,Butler,OH
  • Telco party Cincinnati Bell
Good "Nothing Good to Say"
Bad "Unreliable, Slow, expensive service"
Overall "Worse than Dial-up service"

Cincinnati bell internet service is the worst service ever. the service is so slow that you cant even load pages at all at times. when we have one of there technicians come out to fix it they say there is nothing they can do and don't ever see the problems getting resolved. they told us they were more worried about installing fiber everywhere else and you have people pay for 3mbps service and only get .21mbps. Cincinnati bell actually recommended us to switch to another internet provider which is not possible in our area other than satellite.

Comments:
MommaNancy
join:2013-08-17
·Cincinnati Bell

Cincinnati Bell Fioptics aka NERVOUS BREAKDOWN!!!

I dont care how much you think they are going to save you, how much better the picture will be, how much faster the internet speed will be....DO NOT LET THESE FAST TALKING SALESMEN IN YOUR DOOR ! AS OF TODAY JAN 26,2015 We are into day 7...yes, day seven of installation, and still no DVR service in the bedroom after 4 visits, entire 2 rooms of carpet need replaced due to installer spilling forest green candle wax on pale blue carpet, (& oh yea-they want me to take depreciated value...it is 4 years old, I am on disability due to M.S. & they ruined my carpet...given it was an accident, but why should I HAVE TO COME UP W/MONEY I DO NOT HAVE TO REPLACE THE CARPET BECAUSE IT HAPPENS TO BE 4 YEARS OLD)....NEXT ..home phone installed & new number right? daily calls from every type of sales person under the sun! Asked them today how they got this private number??? Oh..."your company sold it to us"....My once peaceful ...quite home phone is now the hot new number for every Tom Dick & Harry call center w/a sales gimmick! How about the internet you ask??? How would I know??? The first installer didn't install their router, leaving an old one of mine, one I just started using a few weeks prior when Time Warner's took a dump instead of calling them to have it replaced...we all know how much fun calling Time Warner is, so I just let it slide until I replaced them with a new Company...But....REPLACED THEM WITH A NIGHTMARE ...CINCINNATI BELL FIOPTICS !!! HORROR STORY FORM THE START! DAY ONE? A NO SHOW! HA HA, NO SHOW NO CALL NOTHING! DAY TWO...SHOW UP, But installation total screw up, no internet, no dvr in bedroom, 2 days to come back....An Angel appears in a Cin Bell Van, works on my Internet & then my Desk Top for 3 & 1/2 hours....truly this young man would make any mother so very proud! But even he can not repair the damage to my desk top tower that the re-booting of the screwed up installation ...every 1.5-2 minutes router had been re-booting for over 48 hours & some how blew my tower....no computer geek here, but I took it to one who indeed verified that it was Cin Bell that killed the Computer...so now I am left with endless phone calls from every sales person across the country..no sorry the world...and no dvr service...and saleman who suddenly no longer pick up their phones when our number show up! BE ON THE ALERT....DO NOT USE CINCINNATI BELL FOR ANYTHING, ESPECIALLY THEIR FIOPTICS! CUSTOMER SERVICE IS HORRIBLE & OF COURSE OUT OF THE COUNTRY!!!! THE WOGENSTAHLS

KennyWest

@sbcglobal.net

Re: Cincinnati Bell Fioptics aka NERVOUS BREAKDOWN!!!

You should have kept your old number for starters. And 2, You really do believe the sales person calling you? They randomly dial ALL phone numbers. After their auto-dialer finds a number it connects. That is how it works. The system is designed to randomly dial a TON of different number combos until it finds one that rings and you just happened to answer it. You can do the same just by trying to dial random numbers and then tell the person "your phone company sold it to us" which you know is a complete lie.

And as 4 year old carpet, yes, after 4years it has depreciated value. The same as with any item. Once its installed the retail value of it is gone. And how did CinBell kill your desktop? Did they touch it and install software? I doubt hardly that would kill your computer, reboot it in safemode and uninstall it. Or maybe you shouldn't let them touch your computer to start off with- make them use their computers/tablets or use a generic web login to create your new ISP email instead of using a free one or your own domain.

Review by dcurrey See Profile

• Location: Mason,Warren,OH
Good "Got FTTH"
Bad "Minor glitches on TV no bridge mode on modem."
Overall "Wait and see how it goes long term"

·ViaTalk
11-28-14

Got a letter from CB informing me my promo is ending and to call to get new promo. What a joke that was person couldn't understand us nor what was going on had no clue about letter think they hung up on us. (CB needs to end outsourced help desk).

Wife stopped in local office said he couldn't do anything for another 4 days and to call him.

Next day voice mail was left from different local rep. Basically same as letter.

Did call the local office dude she talked to and got a decent renewal. Basically same TV but bumped internet to 30megs. Just a slight increase in price. Assuming they don't screw it up.

Have had a few issues with random 10 minute timeouts on internet and TV. Nothing I do on my end fixes it. Comes back up after ten minutes by itself. Problem is bad for few days then gone for a few weeks.

TV still has minor skipping and sometimes shows just don't record. New issue is auto start over of a dvred show. Very annoying.

11-24-13

CinciBell has been running new fioptics lines in my neighborhood since around Labor Day. On the Nov. 19 sales dude shows up at door offers me Fioptics Elite with 20meg internet and whole house dvr (2 tvs) for $97 will this is $30 less than I am paying Time warner. I don't have whole house dvr and only get 15meg internet if I am lucky. So I signed up.

Next day he called and had install set for Nov. 21st.

Guy took 4 hours to do about 1 hours worth of work. Manly he used existing wiring cat5 line and existing cable line to hookup modem. ZTE brand modem. Added a Acatel Lucent ONT in the basement this connects to the fiber line. That in tern hooks up to outside cutoff on side of house. Fiber then lays on ground to it hit pedestal. To be buried shortly.

Install could have been better If I had known in advance that the would cable modem back feeds the coax lines I just would have had the cable modem installed next to lucent device. As it stands now the lines run from one side of house to other then back to home run box then back out across house again. Just should of had a 6 foot coax run and new cat5 line from cable modem to my router.

As far as service goes I actually get close to advertised speeds. Far cry better than TW was giving me. CB refuses to put router in bridge mode this is causing me some minor issues since I am doing double NAT.

Tv picture seems on par with TW. Only two issues was first have an 15 year old CRT type TV that only has one composite video feed. Was already in use by ruko so I had to unhook it. Seems CB doesn't use coax out on the cable boxes. Oh well time to upgrade TV. Second was my main remote didn't support the ZTE cable tv boxes. Had to program each button off new remotes. Neither of these issues was CB fault just annoying for me.

First glitch wan on Nov. 23. Both tvs lost feed back to cable modem after calling tech support (completely useless. BTW) and several reboots later I managed to get the network access back up. (barely) Network light on tv cable box is now orange instead of green and I get a lot of random skipping and pixel blocks in action sequence.

Later that day then sent a tech out but don't think he did anything other than swap a couple cables out. Picture does seem to have returned to normal that night. Light is still orange but they say that indicates its linked for update.

Canceled my TW service on Sunday morning but thats another story.

Update as needed.

member for 10.6 years, 4341 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ff2366 See Profile

• Location: Cincinnati,Hamilton,OH
  • Telco party Cincinnati Bell
Good "$89 for a gig link - fantastic."
Bad "None that I can think of."
Overall "Best deal around."

What's not to love - a gig link for $89 a month. Keep in mind the need for a gig router and gig switches.

Comments:

Review by tech90 See Profile

• Location: Cincinnati,Hamilton,OH
  • Telco party Cincinnati Bell
Good "It is cheaper than Time Warner Cable"
Bad "Phone Support Overseas hard to understand"
Overall "If you can handle the poor overseas support it is cheaper than Time Warner Cable"

I had Fioptics for three months the service has been rock solid until now. I am having intermittent issues with connecting to the internet. When this happens my dsl light is solid and still has an IP. Cincinnati Bell has an intermittent server problem that causes you to lose internet access for about 5 to 10 minutes.

Comments:

Review by keever See Profile

• Location: Cincinnati,Hamilton,OH
  • Telco party Cincinnati Bell
Good "Ordering, install, quality"
Bad "minor wireless issue. Have to pay $10 per month for "local service desk" vs Phillipines"
Overall "Through install and day one would sign up again"

Long time Time Warner/Roadrunner customer. Have advantage of not living in dense neighborhood so RR provided about 11-15Mgb up and 1Mgb down. Problem was the bill- I had to argue with Time Warner every 6 months and prices still keep going up. Aged Cisco DVRs and interface are absolute junk. After a bit of jockeying with our CBT sales person monthly all agreed upon and install less than 5 days later. Told CBT before tech came out that it needed to be a senior person, well organized and capable or else I wasn't going to switch from Time Warner. We have true FTTH; installation is most critical time. Tech offered to use Coax/Cat 5 convertor but I insisted on new Cat 5 pull. Zytel CPE installed to ZTE DVR(s.) 1 whole house DVR for 2 TV sets and 1 separate DVR for bedroom. (remember you can't "pause" local TV unless there is a DVR direct attach) Have house set up with Airport for WiFi- minor NAT issue upon initial config, adjusted settings and all working. I'll have to give cautious, early credit, telephone, television and 30/10 internet up and running as expected in less than 4 hours. ZTE GUI/interface on ZTE seems ok, great if you consider what we came from with Cisco interface. Have done a few SpeedTests and noticed some spikes at times but non-service affecting. Will report more after 30 days.

Comments:

Review by zach1008 See Profile

• Location: Florence,Boone,KY
  • Telco party Cincinnati Bell
Good "so far things are good"
Bad "took a while to get installed but it was sub zero out"
Overall "will continue to update as time goes"

So I made the switch once the service was available. Install tech said I am the first in the neighborhood to have a cross-connect from the fiber post to the copper post for the neighborhood. We have Fiber to the neighborhood at this point. There is a possibility we will get FTTH in the future but they say the cost is making it a slower build out. For now I will give this a try. With the copper for the last mile I get a 50meg pipe into the house that brings TV and internet service. The ZTE gateway then provides the tv and internet connectivity. TVs can be connected with the Coax and a MoCA network or via Cat5e to the network. I have 3 TV's on MoCA and 1 on Ethernet. The Whole home dvr works for them all. The internet service I have is currently capped at 20meg which is what I had from TW but rarely got the full bandwidth. I have tested the speed using several test sites and am regularly getting what I am paying for.

A note about the sales process, it was great. I worked with a local rep that was up front and honest with me about what I can expect to get and based on the data in the system what I could get and actually have in terms of number of TV's and internet speed. If you are considering the switch contact me directly and I will share the Rep's name and number for you to mention that I referred you. It will save both of us $100 dollars over 10 months on top of any other discounts/promo rates.

The installation technician was excellent. He explained how things worked and what to expect with the setup. I have not had this kind of service in years from technician or sales for TV and internet. I felt bad for the tech as he was out in the sub zero temps working to get things connected and working for me. I have had the service for a day and half as of writing this review and so far things have worked as expected. I did create an issue trying to set things up for my work from home office. I enabled the DMZ to allow any and all traffic pass to my Cisco ASA and doing so caused freezing for the tvs. As an alternative, I have turned that back off and just setup NAT rules for a handful of ports that I need opened. Now the TV's work great and I can have my work network setup as before.

Since it is new, I will spend some time with the DVR and rest of the services and update my posting in the coming weeks. Installation occurred on Jan 6 for future reference.