Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Doublec See Profile

• Location: Acton,ON
Good "available"
Bad "not competitive"
Overall "look around before going with them. "

We had Cable/phone/Internet provided through Cogeco. Warning - once you decide on your Internet package you are locked in!!
We had purchased 10/1 initially, and when I tried upgrade (giving them more money!) they wanted to charge me for an additional install.
The Cable service is mediocre at best and the on demand is very pricey.

When we decided to move I cancelled my services and provided them the equipment back. It was sent back in the box provided with their own label. After it was received by Cogeco (signed for) they lost it. They then charged me for their mistake.

That was almost 2 months ago and I am still dealing with it.

Comments:

Cogeco_Peter

join:2012-10-03
Burlington, ON

Equipment Troubles

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles you are having. If you create a post in the direct forum I would be happy to take a look and see how we can resolve this for you.

Review by jbamford See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
Good "Speed is great and the connection is stable"
Bad "Caps are low"
Overall "Sticking with the devil I know"

Have had the service since 2004, mainly ok during my use. Of course I've had a couple of modems replaced, and a move in 2012 went ok apart from the new modem not being provisioned for the new DOCSIS 3 package. Quickly resolved with a phone call to support.

Caps are low, and I'm hovering just under the limit.

[2013 update] Had to move up to next package level (Ultimate 30 from Turbo 20) to get a decent data allowance each month. Performance is good, always seem to get the right speed. No issues with quality of service.

[2014 update] Upload has increased, but caps are still low.

member for 14 years, 3532 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Mokmo See Profile

• Location: Saint-Georges,QC
Good "Reliable connexion, fast, "
Bad "Low usage cap for 2014 needs, daily metering sometimes skips a day"
Overall "(2014)If you can afford it, get the unlimited and stop worrying"

2014 Update: Currently on Turbo 20, Bandwidth usage caps are now ridiculously low for normal internet use, even more now that Ultimate 55 is unlimited. I need datas, not speed. Connexion is reliable, but drops for a few minutes from time to time, mostly around 1 or 2am.

Bandwidth usage updates daily in the middle of the night, it does skip a day from time to time, would be better if it were 3-4 times a day. They can do it, as they'Re sending the 85% and 100% warning e-mails in the middle of the day at the exact moment it happens.

Once you go over your usage cap, you're better off just switching to the higher tier for the rest of the month as you'll quickly run through the price difference in 1.50$/GB extra fee. A normal family can chew through 125GB REALLY fast...

All internet prices feel expensive in Canada, but when they start offering unlimited and you're stuck one tier lower it hurts much more.

Original Review, ca 2004-5 : Ordered 5mbits, since november 98, we had the Lancity modem, rented for 10$ a month. We kept it until mid 2004 when we saw that digital cable was available and saving us about 15$ a month by combining. We bought a new RCA Thompson Cable modem and a digital cable box. OUR CONNEXION SPEED WAS BOOSTED 2-3 TIMES with the new modem. We had asked at least 4 times in the preceding 2 years if it was possible to change the modem because we saw that we weren't getting what we paid for (and this was with 3 computers plugged in with a router so we were really using it sometimes)

Their official speed test went from 2.2 mbits to nearly 5 in a matter of unplugging/replugging the modems...

Comments:

Review by Stancebeck See Profile

• Location: CANADA
Bad "Really bad experience"

Here is my story, back to 2010, I moved to Windsor,On for my university life, and I used Cogeco Cable.In MAY 2012 I finished my school, I called Cogeco cable to disconnect my service in June, and returned tv box and Internet modem in July,after that all done, I moved to Toronto. In April 2014, my banker called me says there is a collection agency are running after me. A day after, I printed my Credit report to see what is happening. I called Cogeco and collector immediately, the answer is I did not return the equipment that I mentioned. Now this case is hurting my Credit, and the customer service are pretty rude and useful. Unfortunately this has been 2 years, I cant find the receipt. I am still handling this, but pretty much I cant prove that I have returned stupid TV box and modem. Don't lose your receipt, unless you want Cogeco to rob you.

Comments:

Review by Verno See Profile

• Location: Grimsby,ON
Good "Unlimited usage on business packages"
Bad "Outdated/slow upstream, huge gap between entry level and performance packages"
Overall "Not bad but not great and price increases after contract period is over"

·Start Communicat..
I ordered the business starter package from Cogeco for $67.74 on a 1 year term, the modem was included in the price which was nice and the earliest service appointment was 4-5 business days. There is a large gap between their packages, seemingly on purpose to drive people to higher profit margin ones. This exists on the residential side too. Their website also attempts to obfuscate information about package details and price rates. In any case after much reading and re-reading I ordered. Tech came out and had everything ready to go without issues in 15 minutes. He did a speed test, asked if I had any questions and left. The modem itself proved to be a problem, it would intermittently drop out under high traffic loads and then have to resync. The only real workaround was artificially limiting the speed using QOS on my router to prevent the modem from being seemingly overloaded.

The package was as advertised but after 2 years there were no speed upgrades and the upstream was woefully slow even for entry level. I ended up leaving for a competitor who was only $0.06 cheaper for 10x the upstream. Their retention department didn't seem to care either despite having never filed a support ticket or missing a payment.

Cogeco is solid but their package values are pretty dubious and one sided. Their TV and phone packages suffer from the same problem. Ok but better options from resellers exist.

Comments:

Review by sommervr See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "network uptime"
Bad "ripped me off for years"
Overall "so mad I could spit"

I have been a cogeco customer for years. I had the Ultimate 30 package for years and was recently switched to the Ultimate 55 package. This is supposed to be 55 mbps down 10 mbps up. I recently ran some speed tests and noticed I was rate limited at 16.6 mbps down and 1 mbps up. I called tech support and it turns out that the modem they supplied years ago could NEVER support the premium packages I was paying for. I have been getting ripped off for years.

Honestly I have never been so angry at any company before. I created an account here just to warn my neighbors who are probably getting ripped off as well.

Belleville ON

Comments:
sommervr

join:2014-06-26
Canada

I did call cogeco again...

And they did credit me for the difference between what I payed for and what I received over the years. Buyer beware I am sure more persons have this issue

Cogeco_Aaron
join:2011-07-11

Re: I did call cogeco again...

I'm glad you were compensated for this issue. If there's anything else I can do to help you, let me know!

Gixxer

join:2008-08-27
St Catharines, ON
Wow, they actually compensated you? I'm surprised, may I ask how much?
I love fish sticks. I love putting fish sticks in my mouth.
EastYorkGuy

join:2010-12-24
Wow I've never heard of anybody being credited retroactively before - do you now have the right modem?
Mokmo

join:2005-02-03
Saint-Georges, QC

Modem too slow for speed ?

What ?!? They paid you back ? We were for YEARS on the Lancity modem before we finally bought our own. triple speed overnight. They never even considered opening something to credit us... Be happy you caught this.

Review by Keaters See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "425GB of usage is perfect for my needs"
Bad "No transparency and willing to fix a massive problem in a city"
Overall "If Bell would upgrade Chatham to VDSL, I would jump ship in a hard-beat to a TPIA for VDSL service."

·TekSavvy Cable
I love the fact I can get 60Mbps down and a future upload of 10Mbps and to pay $64.95 for it is awesome. You cannot beat that price with any other provider out there. I am so happy I got this service and don't have to worry about anything. Will update my post in a few months to give you a better idea of how it goes.

Update: Over the past 4 months, I have been blown away by the incapability of Cogeco to manage the network in Chatham. All of Chatham is currently under a slow speeds issue for all DOCSIS 3.0 speeds due to over subscription, and nodes that need to be upgraded. You think, to avoid pissing off their customers, they could get their act together and upgrade their service to handle the existing problem. What makes this even more stupid is the fact my account was given to a member from the Office of the President and I was told there is no exact time frame for repairing the congestion issue during peak hours problem. Then, I find out from friends and colleagues who have Cogeco on the Ultimate 30 that they are being moved to the Ultimate 55 by mid April. So Cogeco will upgrade speeds, but upgrade the network to resolve the existing problem before do this? Cogeco just needs to be more transparent and more active with their customers when it comes to issues like this. I would not be as iritated and upset as I am now. Oh well.

Update: Well, as of May 13, 2014 - MARK THIS ON YOUR CALENDAR - The slow speeds problem in Chatham and artificial node congestion has been resolved with the removal of the analogue tv channels and the changing of the channel bonding from 3x1 to 8x3. Now, not only do I get a full 60-62Mbps down, I also get a full 10Mbps up. I am just blown away by the fact that I said this needed to be done 9 months ago and Cogeco took their time because someone high up decided to wait this out until now. I can say, that I am finally happy to see consistent speeds with no problems at all. Now the wait will be to see when my connection will jump for the legacy Ultimate 60 to the new Ultimate 120. The count down is on and will update once Chatham finally sees that upgrade. Of course adding additional HD channels for overpriced TV and adding more HD Ondemand seems to be of more priority at the moment. I would have agreed with that a while ago, but with the advent on HD streaming video and the cost being 1/5th that of Cable TV, I would never go back unless the package pricing decreased with the removal of theme packs and better pick and pay options.

member for 7 years, 1222 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

T25

@start.ca

Lies.

Umm, it's $94.25 without a bundle and excluding 6 month promotional discount. Do you really want to bother with the trouble of switching afterwards? Not worth it imo.

Keaters
join:2007-07-25
Chatham, ON

Re: Lies.

I am on a 12 month promo for existing TV customers

Review by Cal See Profile

• Location: Asbestos,QC
Good "for about 2 years now it has been reliable and steady"
Bad "really expensive for the ridiculous low bandwidth caps they have with no option of just increasing your cap"
Overall "is a good option but only if you do not have any other stable option with better bandwidth cap options"

Can't really complain service has been good and haven't had any really negative experiences. Overall speeds are as advertised and the is stable.

There is one HUGE beef with cogeco though and that is it silly caps they provide, I have turbo 20 and seriously 125 GB a month is sad.

In this age of streaming (be it netflix, youtube etc etc), gaming with twitch.tv amongst so many other things done online a package like turbo 20 with 20/2 mb/s should come with 250 or 300gb per month or at the very very least offer an option for more GB flat out.

As it is you need to get a higher package that increases speeds which may or may not be available in your area, some like me just want more GB per month and are quite happy with the current speeds we have. IE I want to remain with Turbo 20 but have an option for 300 gb instead of only 125gb.

They need to take a look a techsavvy, Ebox etc packages and get a clue on this front.

Comments:

Review by urbanriot See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "NEVER goes down, 30+ day binary newsgroup support, amazing speeds, and local support."
Bad "Overage charges! Personnel issues, allegedly slower in dense areas like apartment buildings."
Overall "Excellent ISP for web browsing, emailing, gaming, speed; Bad for heavy downloading unless you get the business package."

I've been using Cogeco's service since before their name was attached, for maybe 15 years (I've lost track), and I've typically had a decent experience all throughout the Niagara Peninsula. The following encompasses my most recent four years with their service:

Cogeco's primary complaint from younger internet users:

- a moderate bandwidth allowance for residential accounts that charges people for overages when they could simply provide a web notification when a user is near.

Cogeco has many positive points:

- excellent torrent downloading speeds, always hitting my cap on properly seeded torrents. Cogeco employees have stated they're throttling P2P / torrent uploads, but I'm still able to obtain decent speeds and maintain ratios 2:1 ratios.

- extremely low gaming latancy with fast pings, some servers in NY and Toronto pinging as low as 7 - 12ms, faster than everyone else in the server.

- Highwinds newsgroup support with at least 30 day retention, which most ISP's are no longer offering, with support for many popular binary groups.

- local knowledgeable tech support that speak a clear and understandable English who are available 24/7. Most of my experiences with them have been pretty good.

- some highly motivated, dedicated and skilled on-site techs (and a few that are not so much)

- I experience minimal internet downtime, maybe once or twice a year; outages are extremely rare in the city

Cogeco's additional negative points:

- they hide the real prices of their packages so most people are suckered into paying more than they expected

- a few years back, a number of profit making changes have been made to Cogeco which seriously disenfranchised them from their loyal and long term customer base

- inflexibility in scheduling on-site support calls: if you tell them you can only get out of work at a certain time, too bad, it's an 'all day' possibility. This frustrates so many people.

- a few on-site and contracted techs who aren't so skilled (rare but it happens)

- often the phone support personnel are not aware of nodal issues that they should be aware of, to better help customers often which result in.

- some phone support personnel have limited skills and a high degree of arrogance, so when encountering people with considerably more knowledge they foolishly provide bad advice with a bad attitude portraying themselves as experts.

- phone support do not sufficiently provide detailed information when situations are escalated and they don't call you back as they tell you they will.

- an inability to repair or diagnose issues that clearly exist outside your home and don't require service calls

- undetermined effects of upstream packet filtering (fortunately no downstream filtering yet)

- they don't appropriately alert users that they'll be nailed with overage charges before it happens. An email to an account that's never checked is not enough.

Note: If you're a heavy downloader, consider the business accounts as there's a good possibility you won't experience the overage charges that are applied to residential accounts. Hint hint.

member for 9.8 years, 4165 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by teddy See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "Fast!! On the Standard package."
Bad "Low caps, especially considering the price."
Overall "Good solid service, but there are cheaper options."

·Start Communicat..
UPDATE - Not with Cogeco as of September 2013.

Price is $71.95 + tax.

We were previously on Bell Sympatico DSL but switched to Cogeco for a 12 month promotional rate of $108 including High Speed Standard, Digital Phone, and Digital Cable Basic. It was a fantastic deal at the time, however the promotional rate did eventually end and overtime prices inevitably raised a little bit at a time.

Speed is 30/2mbps, with a cap of 175GB/month with overage charges of $1.00/GB. Speed is always as advertised.

For the price I'm paying it's definitely steep. With the option of Start Communications now I'm going to have to really consider moving away.