Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Keaters See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "425GB of usage is perfect for my needs"
Bad "No transparency and willing to fix a massive problem in a city"
Overall "If Bell would upgrade Chatham to VDSL, I would jump ship in a hard-beat to a TPIA for VDSL service."

·TekSavvy Cable
I love the fact I can get 60Mbps down and a future upload of 10Mbps and to pay $64.95 for it is awesome. You cannot beat that price with any other provider out there. I am so happy I got this service and don't have to worry about anything. Will update my post in a few months to give you a better idea of how it goes.

Update: Over the past 4 months, I have been blown away by the incapability of Cogeco to manage the network in Chatham. All of Chatham is currently under a slow speeds issue for all DOCSIS 3.0 speeds due to over subscription, and nodes that need to be upgraded. You think, to avoid pissing off their customers, they could get their act together and upgrade their service to handle the existing problem. What makes this even more stupid is the fact my account was given to a member from the Office of the President and I was told there is no exact time frame for repairing the congestion issue during peak hours problem. Then, I find out from friends and colleagues who have Cogeco on the Ultimate 30 that they are being moved to the Ultimate 55 by mid April. So Cogeco will upgrade speeds, but upgrade the network to resolve the existing problem before do this? Cogeco just needs to be more transparent and more active with their customers when it comes to issues like this. I would not be as iritated and upset as I am now. Oh well.

member for 6.7 years, 1107 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

T25

@start.ca

Lies.

Umm, it's $94.25 without a bundle and excluding 6 month promotional discount. Do you really want to bother with the trouble of switching afterwards? Not worth it imo.
Keaters
join:2007-07-25
Chatham, ON

Re: Lies.

I am on a 12 month promo for existing TV customers

Review by urbanriot See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "NEVER goes down, 30+ day binary newsgroup support, amazing speeds, and local support."
Bad "Overage charges! Personnel issues, allegedly slower in dense areas like apartment buildings."
Overall "Excellent ISP for web browsing, emailing, gaming, speed; Bad for heavy downloading unless you get the business package."

I've been using Cogeco's service since before their name was attached, for maybe 15 years (I've lost track), and I've typically had a decent experience all throughout the Niagara Peninsula. The following encompasses my most recent four years with their service:

Cogeco's primary complaint from younger internet users:

- a moderate bandwidth allowance for residential accounts that charges people for overages when they could simply provide a web notification when a user is near.

Cogeco has many positive points:

- excellent torrent downloading speeds, always hitting my cap on properly seeded torrents. Cogeco employees have stated they're throttling P2P / torrent uploads, but I'm still able to obtain decent speeds and maintain ratios 2:1 ratios.

- extremely low gaming latancy with fast pings, some servers in NY and Toronto pinging as low as 7 - 12ms, faster than everyone else in the server.

- Highwinds newsgroup support with at least 30 day retention, which most ISP's are no longer offering, with support for many popular binary groups.

- local knowledgeable tech support that speak a clear and understandable English who are available 24/7. Most of my experiences with them have been pretty good.

- some highly motivated, dedicated and skilled on-site techs (and a few that are not so much)

- I experience minimal internet downtime, maybe once or twice a year; outages are extremely rare in the city

Cogeco's additional negative points:

- they hide the real prices of their packages so most people are suckered into paying more than they expected

- a few years back, a number of profit making changes have been made to Cogeco which seriously disenfranchised them from their loyal and long term customer base

- inflexibility in scheduling on-site support calls: if you tell them you can only get out of work at a certain time, too bad, it's an 'all day' possibility. This frustrates so many people.

- a few on-site and contracted techs who aren't so skilled (rare but it happens)

- often the phone support personnel are not aware of nodal issues that they should be aware of, to better help customers often which result in.

- some phone support personnel have limited skills and a high degree of arrogance, so when encountering people with considerably more knowledge they foolishly provide bad advice with a bad attitude portraying themselves as experts.

- phone support do not sufficiently provide detailed information when situations are escalated and they don't call you back as they tell you they will.

- an inability to repair or diagnose issues that clearly exist outside your home and don't require service calls

- undetermined effects of upstream packet filtering (fortunately no downstream filtering yet)

- they don't appropriately alert users that they'll be nailed with overage charges before it happens. An email to an account that's never checked is not enough.

Note: If you're a heavy downloader, consider the business accounts as there's a good possibility you won't experience the overage charges that are applied to residential accounts. Hint hint.

member for 9.5 years, 4063 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by teddy See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "Fast!! On the Standard package."
Bad "Low caps, especially considering the price."
Overall "Good solid service, but there are cheaper options."

·Start Communicat..
UPDATE - Not with Cogeco as of September 2013.

Price is $71.95 + tax.

We were previously on Bell Sympatico DSL but switched to Cogeco for a 12 month promotional rate of $108 including High Speed Standard, Digital Phone, and Digital Cable Basic. It was a fantastic deal at the time, however the promotional rate did eventually end and overtime prices inevitably raised a little bit at a time.

Speed is 30/2mbps, with a cap of 175GB/month with overage charges of $1.00/GB. Speed is always as advertised.

For the price I'm paying it's definitely steep. With the option of Start Communications now I'm going to have to really consider moving away.

member for 12.1 years, 3001 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by The Hobbit See Profile

• Location: Peterborough,ON
Good "Great Speeds, Reliable Service, Amazing Service Reps"
Bad "Wish The Business Pacages Has Lower Prices"
Overall "Internet The Way It Shoud Be"

Cogeco To Me Is Still An Amazing ISP, I Have Been With Them For Over 10 Years And I Have Had Nothing But Good Dealing With Them, They Keep There Services Up To Date & Try To Offer There Customers What It Is We Need, They Just Recently Increased There Monthly Download Limits To Unlimited Which Is Something I Have Been Waiting For Them To Do For Awhile Now. I Have Recommended Cogeco To Everyone That I Have Had A Chance To Talk To About My Internet Package & Features. I Hope That Eventually They Will Lower There Prices Down A Notch For The Business Packages, I Myself Would Like To Try Out The Business Ultimate Package But It Is Still A Little Pricey.

Comments:

Review by cableuser123 See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "Fast Speed, Never down"
Bad "Bad latency, Expensive if not bundled "
Overall "Good but not worth the Price"

Happy with the speeds but it is too expensive I will probably go with teksavvy at the end of my contract.

member for 49 days, 19 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Airwolf See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "Latency for gaming is great. 30/10 Mbps"
Bad "Nothing I can think of thus far."
Overall "Solid ISP"

- - - Updated on February 21, 2014 - - -
Nothing bad to report. They upgraded the upload speed to 10 Mbps in the Fall.
Modem still kick'n.

Bumped rating to connection reliability, services, and value for money to 5.

- - - Updated on January 27, 2011 - - -
I've updated my service to Ultimate 30 once it was available here and it's been fine for my needs since.

Arris TM722G modem was supplied. Works fine.

- - - Updated on July 20th, 2010 - - -
Well, it's been some time since I last updated so here it goes.

The price has increased since the last time, but the service quality has been alright. I had a problem with the modem, brought it in and exchanged it for another one. This one did not work either. Went back, got it replaced again, went home and it worked.

The modem was rebooting itself and long a downtime in between syncing. They tested on their end and said that the modem was rebooting itself too much. They wanted a tech to come out a week later or something, but it's not far to the storefront from here.

I never used to reach the 60GB cap. However, I'm listening to streaming audio, watching streaming videos online, downloading games through Steam, movies on Xbox Live, plus with 3 computers active on the internet is starting to rack up the coin since I'm going over the cap by a few GB.

Once TekSavvy cable internet is deployed here, I hope Cogeco will re-evaluate their caps to make it more competitive with TekSavvy's 200GB or Unlimited plan.

As it stands, the service is good, but I feel the caps are way too low for today's entertainment needs.

Last time I had DSL, the service was crap here.

Latency has been fine. A hickup one day, but that's all.

- - - Updated on April 8th, 2008 - - -
Not much to write here other than the download speed issue has been fixed. Few down times since the year started.

No complaints really. *knock on wood*

- - - Updated on October 8th, 2007 - - -
Well, the download speed went back to crap. Started around the 3rd. Same deal as before. Sort of fast in the early morning, slower as the day goes on. I'll leave the rating as is...for now.

- - - Updated on September 17th, 2007 - - -
Well it looks like the problem has been resolved. Apparently my node was split and started to receive speeds well above 9000kbps all day. Even hitting 9500+kbps which I don't think I've seen since the 10mbps upgrade. So the average I'd say is around 9300kbps all day. Didn't get the good results right away after the split, still had some issues, but over the past 6 days the results were what I mentioned above. So hopefully it's 99% resolved.

I didn't really want to leave Cogeco in favour for Bell or a third-party DSL service as the last time I was with the service, it wasn't pleasant.

I raised the rating back up to 4 overall. Will still keep an eye to see if this was truly resolved or just a fluke, but I'm hoping for the former.

If all is good well into October, I'll update this review to let you know.

- - - Updated on March 31st, 2007 - - -
Still having the same issue.

A couple times lasting maybe a day or so it would be about 8500kbps in the morning and drop down to 3000 or so.

Now it drops down to about 700-800kbps in the evening.

Tech came over to do some work for our digital cable issues, bypassed the line underground to go overhead and tap into the neighbours line because there was a crack in the line. They said they will wait until the ground thaws to do the repair. The tech said our lines inside were fine.

Called tech support about the internet issues and they said there's nothing wrong on their end to my end and that if they were to send a tech out during the time that it's not acting up, I will be charged for the visit. Yea, considering I have no control over when it will act up and what's acceptable to Cogeco as good service, I'm not taking that chance.

I have verified by formatting the computers, replacing the splitter that the one tech left for us for the digital cable issue.

So I'm either convinced that there is an issue going on in this area and not being told about it or the line is possessed.

I don't know what's going on, but like I mentioned below, this started just after the 10mbps upgrade in the summer of 2006. Before that, everything was peachy.

The fact that prices are going up and service is going down...I'm afraid I'll have to re-evaluate the ranking.

- - - Updated on Oct 1st, 2006 - - -

About a couple weeks after the 10Mbps upgrade, I've been getting less than acceptable download speeds. Just took a speed test from »speedtest.cogeco.net and the result was less than 1mbps. These seems to have been the worse result so far. Other times it's either somewhere in between 2000Kbps - 7000Kbps. If I'm lucky during the very early morning I'll see anything above 8000Kbps. Upload and latency is fine. I hope it gets resolved sometime this year.

- - - Updated on July 13th, 2006 - - -

Download was increased to 10Mbps. Getting at least 1MB/s real world downloads. In....sane. Don't forget that real world speeds are not going to get to 10Mbps, you have to account for overhead. Nevertheless, the boost is nice.

»sd.wareonearth.com/~phil/net/overhead/

- - - Updated on June 12th, 2006 - - -

Had to bring in the modem to the storefront to get replaced after the the 325 pooped out. Came home with a 315 and the Ethernet port wasn't working so I had to go back only to return with another 315. Fine now for the time being.

3 modem swaps this year and few minor latency issues. Due to this I bumped my rating of 5 for Connection Reliability down to 4.

Cogeco just upgraded the download rate to 7.5 Mbps (7500 Kbps).

Ideal, affordable solution if you have more than one computer on the network.

3 dynamic IPs that are MAC bounded. However, I'm using the same IP for a year now with a router. It has only changed once back when I wasn't using a router. Even then I had that IP for a lot longer than what you have with a dynamic IP with an ADSL service; they could change each time you establish a PPPoE connection.

I also like the idea that Cogeco has a dedicated FTP or HTTP repository for Fedora Core. »less.cogeco.net (The bunny with the pancake on its head will give you the option to choose which one you want.)

Comments:

Review by hypocrit See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Reliable, short CS wait times"
Bad "CAPS VERY HIGH OVERAGES"
Overall "I like the services offered, if you are considering cord cutting avoid at all costs"

I ordered the Express 10 internet that is $34.95 + taxes when combined with TV and Phone service for 6 mths. My quoted package above is for a new tier that I have been forced to upgrade to because of extremely high overage fees I have incurred over my last 2 billing cycles. My first tier was the Express 10. 10M Down, 1M up, 80GB cap and I signed up in October 2013

Around the beginning of January 2014 my wife was complaining almost every night about the complete lack of interesting programming on the cable side of things and was appalled that we would have to pay additional for each "Premium" channel we actually wanted to watch while still paying a monthly fee in the area of $60 per month for a digital package with channels that we had no interest in. I explained to her that she should consider this an "Access Fee" to use Cogeco's service disguised as a "Digital Package" on our bill.

Although I have never posted, I have been an avid reader of DSL Reports since 2006 and I am current with industry practices

As such I recommended to my wife that we try Netflix to see if she enjoyed the programming offered. I told her that perhaps we could live without cable and watch what we want, when we want. We have ample technology to satisfy the needs of everyone in the house, every TV has apple an apple tv connected, and we also have many mobile devices, in a 2 adult 1 child household.

I was a little upset to receive my first bill after starting Netflix to say the least. Doing the math I am being charged more than 3x the amount per GB for going over my cap. Not including taxes, at my current rate of $34.95 for 80GB per month it costs me approx 44 cents per GB. Going over the cap of 80GB I was charged at a rate of $1.50 per GB.

I called customer service, and after upgrading my package to a 150GB tier and receiving a credit for what I went over my cap I asked the rep a few pointed questions.

1. How is it that in this digital age where media is more often downloaded and the cost of providing the service is so much lower than what is being charged can you justify charging 3x more for overage?

Answer: You are responsible for keeping track of your usage, and as I told you we credited this overage one time only.

2. ok I understand that, and I thank you, but you haven't answered my question. I will rephrase it. How is it that another company who leases lines from another incumbent can include 300GB for the same price and not keep track of what I use overnight to go against my cap?

Answer: Cogeco provides the latest techology with the fastest speeds, and those who use more that their share should pay the overage costs. we provide you with the tools to monitor your usage so that you should never go over

3. ok, but I don't really understand what your speeds have to do with overages, and my question had nothing to do with usage tools. I'm a little confused. How is it that a competitor that uses the lines of an incumbent offer a per GB usage rate at less than a 1/3 of the cost that your service provides as an incumbent? And based on the plan rate how can you justify charging me overage rates of more than 8x of what they include in their service contract?

Answer: Sir you used more than what is included in your monthly rate, and I made a one time credit to reflect our forgiveness of that mistake.

4. What is my incentive to stay with Cogeco then?

Answer: Sir, your contract doesn't end until June. If you were to discontinue your services now you would be charged and ETF.

5. How much?

Answer: $75

6. That's just for internet, if I were to cancel I would do it for all services, how much would that be?

Answer: That would be 3 services at a cost of $225

7. So theoretically it would cost me $25 more to cancel now than to pay your overages? Not including the money I would save by not subscribing to a TV service that I rarely use and can get services for less than $10 per month that I would actually watch?

Answer: Sir I've credited your account, why are you threatening me?

8. I have not threatened to cancel at all. I am merely asking you, and I ask again, what is my incentive to stay with Cogeco?

Answer: Silence

9. Are you aware that there is a trend of what is called "cord cutting" and well documented tactics of media "service provider" companies to make up revenues by charging extreme rates on overages to make up for the lost revenues?

Answer: Netflix puts out a lot of information that is untrue, we are charging what is fair for your use of our services. When so many are using bandwidth intensive applications it is a drain on the system and causes service issues with customers who don't use those services.

10. You have my email on file, can you provide me with the links to the documented factual research that people making a switch to services that offer what they want when they want it affects other paying customers? Didn't you just tell me that Cogeco offers cutting edge internet with the fastest speeds using the latest technology and that was an incentive to stay?

You don't have to answer that, I'm sorry that you were in the queue for my questions and had such a difficult call. I appreciate your efforts to answer difficult questions with canned responses. Hopefully someone with some power will listen to this call and there will be some changes made, I would gladly pay an extra $20 per month on my internet to make it unlimited or even give me a 400GB cap.

member for 57 days, 9 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

nobodyspecia

@cgocable.net

yeah boi!

I noticed that cogeco ken, or whoever it is responding for cogecos mistakes, or any of the backyard lawyers from this site wont respond to this review. Cogeco likes to frill their answers in a pretty white dress, and this review leaves no room for their stories. Yer my hero!

Review by Beaugrand See Profile

• Location: Acton Vale,QC
Good "Rapide pour du Docsis 2.0 , illimité "
Bad "Trop cher + lire la description"

·Bell Sympatico
Je paie pour 10 mbps business qui a été upgradé à 16 mbps

Docsis 2.0 supporte au gros max 18 mbps

On veut pas me donner mon 16 mbps parce que je suis pas dans un territoire Docsis 3.0 highway ... Wow , une chance que Cogeco a le monopole dans ma région parce que ca ferait longtemps que j'aurais changé

Comments:

Review by Kergan See Profile

• Location: Petawawa,ON
Good "I'm at a loss... Pings to my game server are ok..."
Bad "Used to be... FAST... VERY FAST! Now it's slow and useless..."
Overall "Was the best ISP IMO... now? Junk."

This is an update to my review I did a long long time ago...

I've had Cogeco for about 14 years now, I used to love it and I would never have thought of switching to other ISP... until recently.
I used to recommend Cogeco to all my friends who were looking for an ISP, now I tell them to stay away!! and that it is totally useless in Petawawa! I got Cogeco in Petawawa days after it was available on my street, and it was sweet, but a couple months ago my connection started to get slower in the evenings, and now it is at the point where downloading is HORRIBLE!! I'm used to downloading at nearly 4000kb/s and lately I am lucky to get 500kb/s. Techs have found no problems at my house, and I have gotten no official explanation on the problem.

This was my original review:

I've had Cogeco for about 4 years now, I love it and I would never switch to any other ISP.
I recommend Cogeco to all my friends who are planning on getting a high speed internet connection.

Comments:

Kevin61ph

@cgocable.net

Same

I might as well have dial up , its faster at night than my Ultra Low Speed from Slowgeco

Review by unsatified See Profile

Good "im still looking"
Bad "sporadic overpriced billing"
Overall "switch to start communications, and save yourself the headaches"

Charge you by the month, and bills sporadically, sometimes 30 day, sometime 35 days, and sometimes after 28 days. They can't figure out how to bill you one day a month.

Customer service supervisor claims cogeco charges a premium prices for their premium services. Premium services? Their internet cuts in and out on a regular basis, and the best they can offer me in the way of high definition television reciever g is 720p. Premium service is 720p? I figure premium service would mean 1080p. 720p cuts out a third of my picture, and thats not a premium service.

All I can say is, do your homework reading as many of the reviews here as possible, before going to cogeco. Look at all the other isp's serving your area, and if you still feel your best choice is cogeco, make sure you keep track of you due dates, or they may charge you 13 months a year by advancing your due date.

Comments:

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
·Bell Fibe
·Start Communicat..

Interesting

I have a Cogeco internet connection, as well as a Start VDSL connection in my home. Cogecos is paid for by my wifes work as a dedicated connection for her, so why not. Also I have had Starts cable inet installed at a relative around the corner, as I am a big supporter of Start.

However, mocking their picture quality being capped at 720p is irrelevant. You are aware that nothing on ANY provider is broadcast in anything above 720p/1080i right? There are a few on demand movies that Bell offers, in 1080p, providing you have a PVR with a HDD to cache data to.

As for your billing issue. I have used Cogeco in the past, and use them now, and ive never heard of the issue your having. Let alone see it myself. Everyone is on a billing cycle that is generated based on your install date. Very interesting that you get random bills for random amounts. If you think youre getting scammed because your billing date it say, Jan 13 - Feb 12th. Thats just your billing cycle. They are not billing you random dates. They are billing you 30 days at a time based on your service activation.
unsatified

join:2014-02-08
·Cogeco Cable

Re: Interesting

My issue regarding their television service is not in regards to the quality of the service, but in regards to the supervisor justifying the higher priced service by calling it a "premium service". A premium service indicates they provide a service above all the others, and they don't. So why do I have to pay premium prices? A company can't say they are a premium service, their
Customers do.

Their customer service skills fall far below "premium", when a lot of the bad reviews on this site are due to customer service issues.

My billing issues are due to them moving my due date back, which is illegal. The "consumer bill of rights" says, when someone provides a service, they cannot demand payment (a.k.a due date) until all services have been rendered, meaning, even though they bill you a month in advance, any money owed is not due until all of the services on the bill have been rendered. I have talked to a person with the commissioner of complaints for telecommunication canada, they agreed with , and suggested I file a complaint, which I did.

When I called cogeco to inquire why my dates are moving back, they replied by saying "you are being punished for late payment.". The punishment for late payment is decided by the law, not cogeco. The law says punishment is 24% per year, or 2% per month, yet I have recieved 2 of these 2% late payment fees in a two week period. I am waiting out the complaints process for my money back.

In my opinion, based on my dealings with cogeco, they are nothing more than an unruly band of thug thieves, and I dont get up at 4am, 6 days a week, to sweat at work, only to have my money stolen by thieves, and neither should you.

Coaxguy, I thank you for your stellar review of start communications, because of this, and many other good reviews from this site, I am making the switch to start. You can add one more to your body count.