Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Celery See Profile

• Location: Stoney Creek,ON
Good "Great speed, uptime and free F-Secure suite"
Bad "None that come to mind"
Overall "Best ISP around town"

Been with Cogeco since around 1998 and finally getting to a review. I've never had any complaints about their service, as the only times I've seen Cogeco's service go down was during the 2003 blackout and in 2005 when my modem finally went dead.

Between 1998 and 2006, the price has only increased by $5, from $35 to $40. Digital Cable and Internet for $100 a month? Can't be beat! Very speedy 5Mbps and incredibly consistent with no noticable downtime. I recently moved back into Stoney Creek from the west end of Hamilton (Dundurn/Aberdeen) and it was only 2 days from booking the appointment to being live again.

Installation was done by a contractor who was in and out in 15 minutes and everything was working perfectly. I hooked my VOIP phone up and wireless router, which connected quickly. Great job, very friendly guy. Service has been rock solid ever since.

Comments:

Review by cycanada See Profile

• Location: Niagara Falls,ON
Good "Zoom Zoom... ....---Homer Simpson Druel---"
Bad "billing dept open 24/7!lol"
Overall "U want this cable u pry it from my cold dead hands..."

Tech support is rated 3 as i have never had to call it!!:D

Cogeo rules, as far as i know i mean of course theres always going to be someone that whines about a company ... i remember the days when i called cogeco cogecNO cuz all they told me was "NO we cant turn it on until you make a payment" lol ... Cogeco subscriber now for four years always had good service never ever ever been down for more than an hour ... And i guess i got lucky a few times but they have never came after me for going 60 gig over my download limit each month!!lol

Comments:

Review by makuribu See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "On time, 20 minute changeover"
Bad "Installer won't fish cable through walls"
Overall "So far (2 days) so good"

I have been a Sympatico customer since '94, HSE since 2000, HSE Ultra since they upgraded me to a wireless DSL modem/router. I've always used Bell home phone and long distance. I had a Bell cell phone but switched because they never had any decent deals. None of Bell's bundles made much economic sense in the past.

So along comes Cogeco.

Cogeco offer: $120 (plus tax)/month for 12 months gives me high speed regular internet, home phone with flat rate calling for all of North America, call display, voice mail, and digital cable with an extra package. And I keep my home phone number. It goes up $25/month in a year. You can't dial overseas (outside the Canada/US +1 country code area), but the last time I called an international number from home was 4 years ago. And I have a cell phone.

Previously:
Basic cable: $28/month
Sympatico HSE Ultra: $55/month
Bell phone: $60/month minimum, with 120 minutes/month NA LD.
(Our bills have been $120 plus for several months due to sick relatives. February 2006 $135. Aug 2005 $170.)

I called Bell and they couldn't match the offer in any way. "We have no bundles at this time". Best they could do was put my account on hold for six months, so in case I change my mind I won't have to start from scratch. I keep their wireless DSL modem and filters until I cancel for good.

I called Cogeco in late Feb and set it up for 11AM March 15.

Cable guys (contractors, actually) showed up at 11:20. They had everything installed and working in 20 minutes.

The only thing they couldn't do was run an ethernet cable from the cable modem in the basement to my 2nd floor office. It ain't their job, so I have to do it myself or pay somebody else. It's a brick frame house, so it has to go up inside an inside wall. Ugh.

On the other hand, the DSL modem from Bell also works as a wireless router, so I have that in place until I send it back. When Future Shop or Best Buy has another deal on a wireless router, I'll replace the Speedstream and send it back.

Two days is not exactly long term, but so far so good.

Comments:

Review by donmilner See Profile

• Location: Belle River,ON
Good "real fast"
Bad "sometimes the speed varies;eg: fast slow fast slow ETC:"
Overall "I am quit satisfied and have recomended it to many people"

I don't know all the technical mumbo jumbo but I have order the higher speed cogeco cable at approximately $70.00 a month and I have the normal cable speed which is 3000/down and 640/up and I am just as happy with this speed as there faster one. I actually get over 5000/down and 700/up and this is plenty good. I am glad that I went back to the normal cable and I get to save $30.00 a month. I have had cogeco for about 2 1/2 years and I am totally satisfied

Don

Comments:

Review by swimmrguy See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "for the most part has been reliable, and tech support responsive"
Bad "previous slow problems but none for over a year"
Overall "very happy with service"

Overall, I have been very happy with Cogeco. I have been with them for over 6 years, starting with them in the @Home days. Yes, I have seen the price go up over the years (I started at $29 per month!) and a period where the connectivity was frustratingly unreliable. However, the connection issues were corrected, and I have found tech support to be responsive and helpful. (One frustration is having to not being able to have an appointment for a service call--have to commit to staying at home for a 4 hour period.)

Since we started with Cogeco, we have moved to Digital Cable, and that has also been a positive experience. We have just added VoIP as it gives us significant savings--not just from our previous phone bill, but also with the special "bundle" pricing.

A final point--the Cogeco forum here is excellent. I have been able to find out/solve a lot of issues by visiting there. In addition, some very knowledgeable/helpful Cogeco technicians frequently respond to customer posts.

Comments:

Review by Whaler_991 See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Great speed, hardly ever disconnected"
Bad "Sometimes the tech support are not super responsive"
Overall "Awesome speed for the price"

Cogeco has been a far better "high speed" service provider the Rogers of Bell ever where.

Comments:

Review by fenix25 See Profile

• Location: Kilbride,ON
Good "Good speed, easy to use, easy install"
Bad "Poor customer service, expensive"
Overall "The only high speed in the area"

Aside from switching to a dsl line this is the best option for me. The installation was booked several weeks in advance. The installer showed up on time and had me going rather quickly. I have used the service for several years now with very little down time. My only problems come when I have to call and ask for service. You always get transfered around from operator to operator. Overall I say its pretty good.. If I had more options to choose from I could build a better frame of reference.

member for 9 years, 0 visits, last login: 9 years ago

Comments:

Review by Ur_Next See Profile

• Location: Welland,ON
Good "Reliable"
Bad "DSL is only competition, need more bandwidth"
Overall "Cogeco > Sympatico"

I'm very happy with Cogeco, no complaints here.

Comments:

Review by Bagnon See Profile

• Location: Oshawa,ON
Good "FAST and RELIABLE!"
Overall "Cogeco is great."

September 10 2005

Whoa. Been awhile. I hear Cogeco is still excellent. 3 Tiers of speeds. Pro, Standard and Lite. All good. Plus, they're always lending a hand on there own time. »Cogeco

Rogers is good now to. A new house would do that.

Go with cable if you can!

December 10th 2003

I no longer have Cogeco but I've heard that the standard package is now (unofficially) getting 4mbps down and 400kbps up. DAMN!! I hope to return to Cogeco territory in the near future but for now I'm stuck with my cra...aaa......p....pp....y Rogers 2mbps.

January 15 2003

Well, Happy New Year to all BBr people. Its that time again. Last review I said I'd be getting the Tier3 package. Well, I havent. Dont see the need when i get more bandwith then I should. That probably has something to do with that 3rd package allowing more throughput on the big pipe to Burlington. Also, after thinking that 10GB download wouldnt be enough I was dead wrong. Its quite adequite. So, If you need an ISP and Cogeco is available....GET IT! its really really good!! Keep up the great service Cogeco.

October 8 2002

Ok, BBr asked me to update my review so i will. Cogeco has put some new caps in for the 2 Packages they have right now. Thats Ok, because there pretty decent. I get 10/5 now. Why am I ok with this? because they brought out a new package 'Pro' that i will most likely be getting. 4000/640 and 20/10 caps for 64.95? yes plz!!! sign me up. ok, so enough of that fiasco. Since I tweaked my connection and Cogeco has been doing whatever they've been doing ive had amazing speeds. I even got 1ms in CS a few weeks ago and got a few more after that. im glad Cogeco is here. I wouldnt know what to do if Rogers was. =D Mail,DNS,News still gets a 4 cuz the newsgroups are little iffy still. and Tech Support will always have a 4. there getting better but there not always informative or briefed on whats new etc... Still Cogeco pwnz! If you can get them, get them!

Jan 31 2002

Well @home went bankrupt. YAAAAAA!!! cogeco rox now! it rox b4 but now it rox even more!! i got my new PC (it has a PCI NIC now ^_^ ) and im getting 2000/350. o god i wuv cogeco. 40$?? o yes! well worth it. and 3 ip's! im using them all. thnx cogeco for the 3 ip's and for being the best.

P.S. i upped the rating for the tech support. they have gotten better. much better!

Sept 1 2001

Hmmmm, it seems that Cogeco is over subscribing in my area. i now sometimes, during peak times, get 200 pings on servers that are in my city!! i even get 100ping on the Cogeco Cs server during peak times when people in Windsor are getting 30-50ms. Cogeco is still great. But i wish they would split are city into 3 or 4 different NODES or maybe move the bandwith up a tad. 2400/512 would be fine.

Still, Cogeco is great. Highly recomended. Still top 10 in N. A.

July 21 2001

hi everyone, ok well it happened again. this time i know why. Sygate was not the problem. Win98 network sharing files were the problem. and because of this i have formatted my PC many many times. Well, i hate Win98, but i have to live with it because my PC hardware is holder then most (u can read my profile to see what i run) so i am unable to upgrade to Win2k. (sigh im looking at the 4 boot disks and CD while i type this =*( ) anyway, i hope i have it all fixed again. and i will never share files or the printer between the Laptop and PC. because i know what that'll lead to. Cogeco is still fantastic. even tho it can be a pain in the ass sometimes. its still top 10.

June 5th 2001

i am updating to tell ppl what has happened since 420. a little after that update i installed Sygate to network the laptop and PC. it worked but after that i was unable to share files and printers. so i removed sygate from both systems and then everything went shit from there. i was probably just a coincedence but my d/ls started to fall all the way to 52kbps/380kbps for 2 months!. i called them 7 times in the 2 month span. and i got a diff reason everytime. bad NIC or bad Modem or ur line is bad. OR ITS MY PC!!. i bought a NEW NIC!! and it helped a bit but i still got the low kbps. So, i swap the modem (3 times). i got the same. then FINALLY they send a guy down to check the line from my house to the green post thingy outside of my house. thats not it. and guess what, yesterday was the day they fixed the problem. for 2 months i have been calling and asking them to fix it. then the found the problem and they fixed it in ONE DAY!!! The problem was that one of the NODE's was dumping its customers unto my areas NODE forcing my NODE to work harder then it could. During this whole ordeal i would actually get regualar modem speeds heh. it sounded like they knew the whole time. well its all better now. im raping in Cs again =) and i updated to my ratings from 4 Tech Support to 3 because they actaully called me back to see if there was any improvement (it would of been 2). and one down on the connection reliabilty (2 months doesn't cut it) Anyway, Cogeco@home is still, in my opinion, one of the top 10 in N. America

April 20 2001

Happy 420! =)

anyway, im updating my review. You can read my old review in the second paragraph before continuing.

My friend has replaced his Com21 with a Samsung. I think the one he has is the one that broke on me on Christmas Eve. heh, that would be cool. anyway since my last review there has been only one outage to tell you aboot and it lasted it for around 3 days. and then there was that fibre optic cable that was cut by construction workers. but during that i still had service (mind u it was hella slow. but still). I emailed cgo and asked them if theres gonna be an uping in the bandwith department. the answer was "no not at this time. We are already maxed out"(that was in short terms). I asked them for a 3072/768 ^_^ . anyway Cogeco@home is still the best ISP in Ont. Hands down! and probly Top 10 in North America.

hi all,

i got my cable i guess 8 or 9 months ago

and was semi pleased with the performance (that was after i found that the upload was only 128kbps) now they have tripled it to 384. Very Nice. since i live in

St. Catharines, and the servers are in Burlington (80kms away) i get a max d/l of aboot 170k/sec. and my up/l is always 40k/s when the max is 48k/s. Still awesome. They gave me a Samsung InfoRanger SCM-110R (faboulous modems).They are are now giving out Com21's. Probably the CHEAPEST modem on the market. I had to use 1 for a day cuz my InfoRanger died on me 1 night (Dec 31. at around 10 PMish) and had to replace it with a Com21 when they opened 2 days later. WELL........ wut a piece of crap. constant lag outs every minute. If this was my friend reviewing he would give Cogeco@home the worse possible rating. He has the Com21 and is constanly lagged, either playing CS or web surfin. I think its really only our area of St. Kitts cuz i don't hear any of my friends or any other people complaining with the new modems.

anyway, Cogeco@home is an excellent provider and is probably in the Top 10 for best ISP's in North America for service.

I HIGHLY recommend this ISP to anybody who can get it.

Just ask for the Samsung if you can. My opinion. =)

Comments:

Review by TMF65 See Profile

• Location: Fonthill,ON
Good "Speed is to die for!"
Bad "Bad weather knocks me offline-live semi-rural area"
Overall "Overall very happy with Cogeco"

Actually had their tech guy out today to find a problem with speed drop. We traced it to my Linksys router. Resetting the router cleared everything up. Neither him nor I could explain that (but he says he's seen it MANY times lately).

Other than it taking several minutes to talk to a real person on the phone (but that seems to be the case everywhere now) Cogeco has met all my high expectations.

Going from dial-up Sympatico to Cogeco was like going from a Chevette to a Ferarri.

If you put together your cable with Firefox and Thunderbird, the net is even faster and more secure.

They now have a antivirus/firewall package for free. It was a bit wonky at first but seems to operate perfectly now.I was glad to dump the Norton.