Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by cogecofan See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
Good "fantastic speed"
Bad "none to complain about"
Overall "great choice"

At first I was with Rogers cable. They are good, but now I know they could have been better. When I moved to a new house, I moved to Sympatico as Rogers was not available in this area.

Oh my goodness, I have never dealt with a company having this bad service in my life! Literally! It was a first for me. I guess this is because they consider themselves a monopoly stilll. After about six calls to tech support (which ultimately got transferred to various departments... by the way they claim it is because they are "specialized"), I started counting my calls. After the 13th call, I got my connection up and running (three weeks later). Even then, my 3 Mbps connection was running at 440 Kbps. Naturally, I didn't want to call again to start the cycle yet again, so I switched to Cogeco.

I don't know whether it is because I have seen the worst side or these guys are simply good, but this broadband service is the best I have seen. I am paying for a 5 Mbps connection, but I am averaging about 5.4 Mbps every day. Setup was quick (two days) and their services are good as well.

Looking back at Rogers, they could have had the same speed, but I guess this is because they have a lot of users compared to Cogeco.

Bottom-line recommendation - if you have a choice, don't even try Bell Sympatico. If you think you got good service from Bell, consider yourself very lucky and pray that you would not get any complicated problems with your connections.

Comments:

Review by physalis See Profile

Good "Fast, Reliable, Worth it!"
Bad "none that I can think of..."
Overall "Get Cogeco!"

When I was inquiring about their services, the rep was pretty knowledgable, especially at the fact that they were aware that we were a cable subscriber (they have to know anyways...). They were easy to talk to as well.

The installation went smoothly as well. Took him around or less than 10 minutes to fully install the service.

Connection is good as well. It is very fast and consistant. During our 1 year period, we only had one blackout, which was pretty good considering that our neibourhood has frequent power outs after storms... (just had one yesturday).

I do like the webspace... allows me to host some simple sites... good space considering that it is free with the service.

And when bundled with the my cable service, we save a bit of money.

Comments:

Review by vorian See Profile

• Location: Brockville,ON
Good "Friendly and knowledgeable sales staff, excellent transfer rates, high quality connection, very simple and quick setup"
Bad "tech support leave something to be desired"
Overall "Good ISP, great service, only issue is with the tech support"

I've been using cable internet here since it was still Brockville cable. Once cogeco took things over, my service definately improved. My parents still have that original connection, and the original modem which is working wonderfully.

So when I moved in to my apartment, I got cogeco. It's 14 days from order because I ordered in advance, and the technician arrived early The setup was simple and painless, and I was online within a matter of minutes from the tec arriving at my door. The only install issue was my own fault -- I copied down my master account password incorrectly, and had to call to get it reset.

I've never really been a fan of the tech support at cogeco, I'm not sure if it's just the reps I get, or in general, however, I've only had to call tec support about 3 times in 6 years, and most of the time it's something like a password reset, or when cogeco took over, and our modem got unprovisioned.

The connection has always been very consistent, with downtime being to a minimum, I consistently score just below, or at my advertised transfer rates (including overhead data) and I really have no complaints with Cogeco's service and would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

For information:

I'm on their standard highspeed service (5Mbps/640Kbps), I'm getting a good deal right now, the price is 24.95/month for the first 6 months and then it goes up to 44.95/month, which is comparable to the standard DSL package here, and you get a better connection h

Comments:

Review by lazarus_ See Profile

• Location: Resolute,NU
Good "Fast,Cheap, 100% uptime, and the best ISP forum support on Dslr!"

Since I work for Cogeco I am a little biased, but since I was asked to update my review, here it goes:

I used to have the HSI regular and it was great. I decided to go upgrade to HSI pro, and its great. I get 80-90% of the advertised speed. Of course the pre sales upgrade info was 100% accurate, and the upgrade co-ordination was great. Took about 2days since paper work had to be done. (Usually the upgrade it right away.)

The service hasn’t gone down, and the connection is very reliable. (Pings are always less than 50ms, speeds are always 6Mbits+) I've never used tech support, so I can’t comment on that. In my opinion, for $69.95 the service and value cant be beat!

I have no problems with Bittorent downloads. Usually I get between 20-900kB/s. (depending on the amount of peers and seeders)

The Cogeco website has since been updated from my last review, and important information is now easier to find.

--- Edit---
Another update was requested, so here it goes.

Cogeco is still great. I think they are better than any of the alternatives available hands down. The DSL in my area is slow and crappy due to my distance from the CO.

I've been using Cogeco for the last 5-6years and the service keeps getting faster, w/ better reliability. Since I still havin't had to call tech support , I can't really rate it. (I know they are great though. )

member for 12.5 years, 1294 visits, last login: 9.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by Michael See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Awesome speeds, excellent value, great reliability"
Bad "Can't think of anything...."
Overall "Cogeco rocks!"

Cogeco is by far the best ISP I have ever been with. Tech support have always been helpful and the fact that there are very helpful Cogeco employess in the Cogeco forum is definitely an added bonus.

I ordered well in advance of when I moved into my new place so hence the 21 day reference.

Installation was tough but this is the only real problem I have experienced. Outside contractor did the install but couldn't get me up and running, said something was wrong with my computer and told me to call tech support. Then he decided to leave before hooking up my television and I had to convince him I did order digital cable also. I knew there was nothing wrong with my computer and it turns out they had me on a different package and the modem was registered to someone else. Thankfully that was sorted out in two phone calls over a total of about 30 minutes.

Been smooth sailing ever since and I would without hesitation highly recommend Cogeco.

member for 13.8 years, 2261 visits, last login: 7.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by raphsammut See Profile

Good "Excellent speed reliability, good RCA modem, blazing fast speeds!"
Bad "Tech Support not helpful, Bandwidth Restrictions :("
Overall "Very good for people who simply want FAST INTERNET and people who don't download over 15 GB/month"

If only there were no bandwidth restrictions, this ISP would be the best in all of Canada!

Comments:

Review by jengersnap See Profile

• Location: Ridgeway,ON
Good "Install tech was great, tech support is friendly"
Bad "The 'bads' are pretty moot at this point"
Overall "It works, it's fast, it's reliable. Get it if you can."

Update 4/20/05:

Wow, its been a long time since I updated!

Four years have passed, and things have changed since my last update. After trying two of them, we ditched the blue COM21 DOXport 111 modem for an old Samsung grayish-white brick twice its size, and overall service improved. But the speeds slowed every afternoon for a while, and we had another dispatch made. They found an issue with my card in their interface box, put me on a brand new one, and it's been smooth sailing ever since. I've now got 3 computers (Compaq 1.5 Gig Desktop w/ SMC wireless card, Medion 2.9 Gig Desktop w/ SMC wireless card, and Dell Inspiron 3.09Gig laptop w/internal wireless) hooked up to it via a wireless "G" D-Link router, and the whole system works like a well-oiled machine.

I've probably had 2 outages in the last year or so, both for only a couple of hours. I've pretty much forgone using the provided email accounts for anything but my eBay stuff. A tech (who I got to in a little less then 15 minutes, whoo hoo!) tipped me off to www.mail2web.com for checking Cogeco email online, and I do use that occasionally, but have no real feelings, good or bad, for it. Its kind of chunky but convienant when I need it.

I haven't run a recent speed test, but Cogeco's advertising says I'm getting 5Mbps/640kbps for my money, but since the bill's automatically paid I might even still be on some grandfathered slower plan. My last test was 1391/591 kbps, but that was a few months ago and I have a feeling it's faster. It's still pleanty fast enough for me, my husband, and that third computer to not notice any slow page loads whatsoever. I'm very happy with my service. Since we're looking to move, I'm having whatever the potential new home to be site surveyed first. I really want to keep Cogeco!

Original Review 2.19.01:

Having had both DSL (Sympatico) and Cable (Cogeco@home), plus being a DSL support technician myself, I think I can speak with pretty accurate knowledge of the high speed business.

Cogeco@home came to my city in November 2000 (2 months after ILEC DSL), offering a free month (Radio Shack offered 2 and a web cam the next week), free modem, free installation, "upstream data transfer speeds of 128Kbps and downstream speeds up to 100 times faster than a 28.8Kbps modem." The speed quote comes from their website and their literature. Never have I found a download "speed", even an "up to" speed. So, doing the math, 2880 kps?

I signed up the 2nd day it was available, and kept DSL a month longer to compare.

Bad Stuff:

I encounter frequent "dead" spots, where server-connected programs like AIM and Napster loose their connections, and my dial up laptop next to me keeps chugging along with both running fine.

Durring these dead spots (from a few seconds to 10+ minutes) the COM21 DOXport 111 modem only has the power, cable, and PC (equivolent to a Enet light?) lit up, and the data and test lights (which flash back and forth when data is transfering) stop entirely. I will say some days are better then others. It might be a bandwidth problem with the new area, but I've heard there are a few bad cards in our area, and I might be on one, being one of the first hooked up. I contact Tech support on days where I've the time to play the waiting game. Never have I called and not heard "the approximate wait time is greater then 15 minutes". Usually around 20 min. Where I work in the states, supervisors freak if the queue is over 5 minutes. I ding TS for being too busy. Hire more people, and I might raise the 4 stars.

Of course, these dead spots I talk of occur for 30min-1hr, with service going up and down, before I decide to call (I need to invest in a headset) and by the time you reach them, they ask the standard questions and run the line test, it will come back normal, which you could have told them yourself, because the trace route and line quality tests on DSL reports have come back normal by then.

***MAIL SUCKS*** They changed Mail Servers at the turn of the year, and it should have been seamless. Three weeks later I was still getting mail from the beginning of January. The delay of when I send from any of my 8 email addresses, from 8 different computers and connections no less, can be from 2hrs to 2 days. Really bad between 2p-8p, M-F. Two hrs is normal there. Open a Yahoo account. Tech Support knows its bad. They change the subject fast, and you can hear the smile when you tell them you don't rely on your @home address. I've accused my husband of not emailing me all day, to find 5 messages in my work inbox at the end of the day, and that's about the first time he'll hear from me too on those bad days.

I had to call 4 times, and get 2 different confirmation numbers before they issued my free month. By the way, the first rep refused to give me my free month on my first billing. He said he would if I was cancelling though. I was tempted....but did not call for the supervisor. I got the free month this month after asking for a supervisor. At least I hope I did.

Good Stuff:

When working normal, I'm 15-27ms from my first hop, and it looks to be fairly local, with a cgocable IP.

I've speed tested it day and night on both this and toast's sites, and came up with highs around 1100, lows around 300, median crusing speeds of 500-700. Uploads are constantly in the 300 range. Today its 633/331. I can live with that. DSL with Sympatico was faster, more like changing channels, though.

Installation was painless, I left my non-technical husband, told him not to let the tech into the CPU, the NIC he needed was already installed, and the installer was early. At first he didn't think my NIC was right for the service, but turns out I had the same D-Link NIC installed that he brought along. So I've a spare he left me.

He even left a floppy with another person's email address and password for me (I think it was suppose to be my info) so I immediately changed my password and username with the instructions. The ugly old email address (picture last name and a number) became something liveable, and the "password of the day" that the tech said everyone is given on installs for that particular day was easily changed.

Tech support people are friendly, and know the answers we need to make sure the service will do what we need. Customer service does not. They transfered me to TS when I asked difficult questions.

No proprietary software, and Outlook Express is happy running on it. CS told me it won't work with Outlook, and I forgot to ask TS, but I'm sure it will. Not sure if the address is static. I didn't care, I've no use for Static quite yet.

Service is running on a 433 PII 128 Ram and is quite happy when its working like it should.

Some days I think back to Sympatico (940/120, self inst, $39.95 month, only goes down when it rains....bad copper here).

Cogeco was originally OK, but the dead spots are just getting worse and worse. Now they SUCK.

AND DO NOT rely on the mail!!!

member for 14.4 years, 224 visits, last login: 3.8 years ago

Comments:

Review by snoop69 See Profile

• Location: Cornwall,ON
Good "there the best"
Bad "none"
Overall "very happy with cogeco"

installation: is very good they come and setup cable/internet, and check before they leave so everything is running smooth.

service: if i need to call about something, if i'm having problems with either cable/internet, they get right down to what might be happening and get it resolved.

the service: is excellent i'm very happy with cogeco.

Comments:

Review by buschic See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Awesome Customer Service"
Bad "annoying 1st level Techs sometimes"
Overall "DAMM GOOD SERVICE, RELIABLE, Great for blind users."

I have been with Cogeco for a long time. I like them so much, I have a Mug, a backpack, 2 pens, a cd case, all Cogeco branded

I am legally blind and have never had a problem, thanks to Krispy and the folks in Burlington and also with the mall kiosk in Limeridge mall, here in Hamilton.

member for 11.5 years, 188 visits, last login: 2.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by condorca See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Excellent speed, never seems down, good tech support"
Bad "Haven't had any bad experiences with Cogeco"
Overall "Would hate to be without it"

Cogeco High Speed cable is great. My family has used it for four years and it may have been down three times in that period. My previous ISP Rogers was a disaster. Frequently down weekly.

I understand that in December 2004 Cogeco will be implementing free anti-virus, spam and spyware monitoring of internet lines. Another reason to buy.

I have no hesitation in recommending Cogeco.