Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by hoffman1 See Profile

• Location: Stoney Creek,ON
Good "Amazing Speed, No Downtime"
Overall "Great Speed, Great Price"

Ordered the service in April, and it was installed two days later. I ordered the Pro edition and am constantly getting speeds of 9mbit//1mbit. There was a small problem at setup where I was mistakingly put under the regular speed account, but a quick call to customer service fixed it.

No downtime in 6 months, even during peak hours my speed remains constant. I used to have Sympatico High Speed Edition, but cancelled it and took the plunge for cable, and I'll never look back.

Definately consider Cogeco instead of Sympatico if you are looking for a new service.

Comments:

Review by LadyInferno See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Amazing speed and reliability"
Bad "NONE WHAT SO EVER"
Overall "If I can't have cable I'd rather not have anything at all"

I ordered the Standard service with Cogeco about 5 years ago and I have had nothing but excellent service. The installation at that time was free and took less than 20 mins to do.

The only problem I have experienced was the brand of modem they gave me kept dropping offline and so I had to go in and exchange it which was done with no issues at all.

I can't say anything negative about this service!!!

member for 10 years, 0 visits, last login: 10 years ago

Comments:

Review by SecondLight See Profile

• Location: East York,ON
Good "Great reliability, and performance."
Bad "none"
Overall "Great ISP for a great price"

I was a customer from February 1999, to July 2001. The service was excellent with no problems, or outages ever.

Comments:

Review by techih See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Amazing Speed and reliable connection"
Bad "Charge 29.95 to install"

Cogeco is the best provider in my area, fast speed and great value. They even have summer student plan so students only have to pay $40 to get 4 months service (From May 1 to Aug 31). Since I already cancelled my bell phone line and replaced it by vonage, I can only stick with Cogeco forever...:P

Comments:

Review by Thnikkaman See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Blazing Fast! AMAZING PRICE! 5000/640 for $44.89CAD TOTAL?!?! MAD!"
Bad "For me, none."
Overall "I've never given DSL a second thought. Cogeco has proven themselves to me for 5 years running."

(I'm signed up on the standard tier, with analog TV discount)

I've had Cogeco for 5 years or so and they just keep improving themselves. Speed has constantly increased with time. They announce new features and improved performance out of the blue (note to Sympatico: This is the preferred strategy for keeping customers happy. Pie in the sky promises.. come on, you have to know how detrimental the word of mouth can be. What's up with you guys?).

I'm sitting here now with a 5500/640 (5500 is the "unofficial" download speed, hehe) connection that allows me to multitask my broadband and accomplish a lot more. The upload speed is VERY nice and allows me to video conference without the constant stuttering of yore! Why shouldn't one have the ability to browse the web, etc.. while conferencing without losing quality? Hell, I even play Quake 3 while connected via audio to my girlfriend while she maintains a low ping. How sweet it is! A lot of folks out there claim one doesn't "need" extra bandwidth. Hah! They'd be on a connection like this and using it to its potential in a second if they could. Do you think the fact they can't receive service like this anything to do with their opinion?

The news server has been perfect for me. I don't use the binary groups. Usenet was never intended to carry binaries. If you need binaries, you have a million other sources! Why should your ISP house those enormous files locally for you? It's gotten out of hand. Usenet was intended for discussion. There are pay services out there that will provide you with the binary retention you desire. I've never had a problem with the regular discussion groups. Those posts come screaming in

E-mail service has been top notch. I encountered a problem a few months back where my girlfriend's email was being nabbed as spam, but upon notifying Cogeco, it was very quickly resolved and hasn't re-surfaced! Awesome. Cogeco seems to have found the right level of spam containment. I haven't had a known problem with legit e-mail being nabbed since. Thank God, as eBay transactions and the like require e-mails reach their destination.

I can't remember how the installation went, as it was 5 years ago. Can't remember having any problems. Took place in the early morning.. that's all I can recall

All in all, you honestly have little chance of going wrong with Cogeco. The price for all their tiers is amazing. If you subscribe to Cogeco's digital cable, the standard 5000/640 tier is only $42.79CAD (tax included)!

If you need even more speed, don't hesitate to check out their PRO package that delivers 10000/1000! Eep! Only $64.95CAD + tax if you subscribe to digital cable $66.95CAD + tax w/ analog TV. $69.95CAD + tax a la carte. Amazing.

Comments:

Review by PfcJs See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
Good "Very fast and reliable."
Bad "Pricier than Sympatico"
Overall "Fastest basic high speed you can get!"

I've been with Cogeco for over six years and have the standard high speed package. I've been with them when they were part of @home. During that time I had a couple of periods of downtime. Ever since they separated and set up their own data centre, I have only experienced down time during the big 2003 blackout that hit Ontario.

The speeds you get are very quick. They are advertising 5M down and 640k up. I now have a RCA modem and get 5120k down and 600k up. I had to swap my previously reliable Samsung modem of six years. It must have fried as before switching, I only got 2300k down and 500k up. (I had been getting 4200k down reliably before.) After calling tech support, they suggested that I swap my old modem. That's when I got my RCA modem. I have not regretted it.

The Samsung had a 10mbit interface. The RCA has 100mbit ethernet interface. I think the 100Mbit interface has more room for speed increases down the road.

Cogeco is a little more expensive than Sympatico. You can get Sympatico for $35 if you sign up for a year but you will only get 3000k down at best. Most of my friends get much less. Unfortunately, their cable choice would be Rogers and they are not too reliable.

My advice is pay Cogeco if you can get it. It's worth it. By the way, I bundled Cogeco Internet with Digital TV so the price is $39.99 + tax.

** There must have been a slight speed boost since I did this review. I now get 5500k+ down and 600k up. However, during busy times, download speeds can drop to as low as 4800k down but that is still better than Sympatico's premium service. I guess I won't be leaving Cogeco any time soon. Upload speeds are fairly consistent at 600k. Pretty good for basic high speed service.:)

Comments:

Review by davidcomtois See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,ON
Good "5 mbit speed! good up-time!"
Bad "very little down time...."
Overall "best option available to me..."

had cogeco for a few years now same location.... speeds have increased to 5 mbit... very little down time... best option available to me.... for the price of unlimited dial-up and an extra phone line, heck $5 more and you have wicked speed and always on! :> very satisfied, thanks cogeco!

Comments:

Review by gettoasty See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Fast Connection. Friendly Staff."
Bad "Sometimes dies in bad weather. Anti-Virus filters not up to par."
Overall "Nice, Fast connection. Best in the biz."

- Cogeco's support staff have always been friendly and glad to help whenever I call.

- They have a Counter-Strike server (finally, one that's not halfway accoss the US) that pings great.

- An attractive, up-to-date website.

- Reliable e-mail service (However, viruses occasionally slip through)

I would reccommend Cogeco to anybody I know!

Comments:

Review by Pughball See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "Very fast, always on connection, fair price"
Overall "A very good ISP, great network management"

No qualms or complaints about this service whatsoever. Standard residential package is 5500/600, for only 44.95, and these speeds are network wide, no worries about your location and proximity to CO's/central offices. They have some of the best network management I have seen, never an overcrowded node, and if one does pop up, it seems to be fixed in a blink of an eye.

I can't understand why ANYONE in Cogeco's servcie area would be using another ISP.

member for 12.2 years, 3723 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Unreal111 See Profile

• Location: Minneapolis,Hennepin,MN
Good "Great Speed, Tech support, simply the best internet"
Bad "I think 15GB cap is little should be >20GB"
Overall "Best internet you can ever have"

Jan/19/2004

I am new in Canada, and living in Windsor right now. And from my experience cable Internet in US just sucks. I got my internet last saturday(JAN/17/2004). They gu came installed everything, but he said that my ethernet card is damaged and left. Well I tried to install it by myself and it worked. He installed the COM21 modem, I think there was something wrong with that modem because whenever I download something it just disconnects. After 3 days I call the tech, next day they came with the new RCA modem. Never had a problem since.

My ip address is not static whenever I reconnect the modem, the ip address changes. Well I think that is a good thing security wise.

I did some speed test, average is 4500/620.

Very soon I might switch to pro package because I think for me 15GB is not enough.

June/05/2004

Cogeco have increase the speeds again

5600/620