Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by lazyfox2 See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "Fast, reliable connection"
Bad "Poor newsgroup server"
Overall "You get your money's worth, particularly if you don't use newsgroups"

I've been with Cogeco for several years now. Definite connection and speed problems initially, but the last two years have been excellent.

I do use newsgroups a fair amount (or try too). I don't need binaries, but I would like to have some reliance that I will see most of the posts on a particular topic, and Cogeco does NOT give me that guarantee. Sometimes there is only a 10 percent completion rate, so I am forced to use an alternate provider (google).

They should either eliminate thier NG server entirely, or provide reasonable service.

LF

Comments:

Review by Fluxlo See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Great speed/latency consistancy. Awesome Tech support, and reliabilty"
Bad "newsgroups!"
Overall "Hands down, one of the best isp's in north america, if not the world."

May 9/2004

Just got back from university...and man did i miss this Cogeco connection. Over the past eight months, Cogeco has once again upped their standard tier service to 5mbits down, 640kbits up, putting all the other major isp providers in canada to shame. Other than a few hickups due to a faulty modem (which was quickly dealt with thanks to the cogeco techs on dslr) Speeds have consistantly been over 4500/600, pings have been consistant and I have been happy. Not much else to say about this service, other then the fact that I've been very pleased.

Thanks Cogeco

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------

Recently my dsl company shafted me, so i decided to give them a hand gester and switch to a slightly slower cable connection. Don't get me wrong i loved my dsl, even though i was 4.5km away i could still pull 2650kbps on downstream and 650 on upstream and great, consistant pings. The company had pretty good tech support (CUIC), but there accounting department blows...anyways back to the cable

I decided to get the local cable company internet (cogeco) because i've heard only a few bad things about them, but lots of good. I got their 2megabit service because i think thats all i really need for now. ordered it on tuesday, and got it on friday (could have been tuesday but they only had a bad time slot). Techy arrived ahead of time and was extremely (and i mean extremely!) nice and co-operative - I only wish the bell technian who came to my house a few months ago was this nice - Putting the cable up into my room woulda been a bit of a chore which woulda involved alot of work and an angry father, so i finally got an excuse to move into the basement because this is the easiest place to place the line (though its cold :'( ). Got it up and running almost instantly, though i was dissapointed with the modem seeing how it was all beat up (a samsung btw)...i don't get why people beat up there modems, it does piss me off though. did a few speed tests and i got 2megabits or over 95% (just did one a second ago 2310 down, 369 up) of the time, even at peak hours (then again this area of west hamilton is full of old people). Mail servers are good, and finally simplified so no complaints there too. Very satisfying. A very good experience, i got no complaints whatsoever.

A very satisfied cogeco subscriber.

Comments:

Review by tmfdotca See Profile

• Location: Fonthill,ON
Good "Fantastic speed, unbeatable up-time."
Bad "Over the phone techs inconsistent. Some are great, some morons."
Overall "Compared to everything else, I have to give Cogeco absolute top marks."

I have regularly conversed with some American friends who can't believe how cheap and how good Cogeco is. Sure, sometimes they have techies that don't know their butt from a hole in the ground, but thats more a product of todays economy and low unemployment than anything else.

I'm always close to 4.5-4.7 Mb and have never even come close to going over on my bandwidth even though I download junk alot and run several websites.

Their free webspace is lame...no cgi, php or anything other than html. But really, you don't sign up your ISP for webspace.

I've never been kicked, never timed out, never had anything goofy happen in over 2 years.

Comments:

Review by b0r0m33r See Profile

• Location: Palmerston,ON
Good "worm/virus tracking blocking"
Bad "useless tech support"
Overall "don't trust the tech's!"

Installation was great when the guy got here. Cogeco was kind enough to inform me that they would send someone by between 2 and 5PM..... I kindly informed them I would pay my bill between the date I received it and 3 months from that day

Tech support is completly useless, find myself rebooting the modem, the router the computer any standard bs fix, that I've already been through. I don't want to know how to fix my crappy connection I want to know what happened to it in the first place!! Problem at the moment is ping is 200 - 600, right after the last tech guy "fixed" the connection. Selfcare system reports I haven't downloaded anything this month or last month. Basically if you call tech support they may fix your imediate problem but only make things worse for you in the end!!

Comments:

Review by quasinick See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Speeds rock, Tech guys are the best"
Bad "Cable goes offline... when there's a hurricane and/or hailstorm"
Overall "Cogeco rocks Sympatico out of the water"

I currently have the Standard package of Cogeco's High Speed Internet. My home network (multiple computers) sits behind a 4-year old Linksys hardware firewall, and I've never had a single problem with Cogeco that couldn't be resolved almost immediately by the FANTASTIC Tech Support people. When I moved from apt. to a house, I decided to give Sympatico a shot (just to try it). 3 days later, called to cancel my DSL service. I still had it on the line, but used dialup until my Cogeco could get installed. Sympatico DSL was THAT BAD.

As for my Cogeco, it drops offline every once in a RARE while, but comes back up right away. I've got their new RCA DOCSIS modem (the little grey one), and have not regretted being a Cogeco customer for over 4 years.

member for 10.7 years, 304 visits, last login: 4.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by wizard_ct See Profile

• Location: Santa Clara,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Amazing speed and reliability."
Bad "Newsserver shot."
Overall "If you're in cogeco territory, there's no reason not to use it."

I've had cogeco for about 2 years now, and aside from a faulty modem, the connection has been rock solid. Every now and then the speeds got a little push, I've watched my download go from 200kB/s to 300kB/s now to 600kB/s(on standard), and during that time only a $5 price hike. Well justified I'd say.

Cogeco dhcp provices 3 static ips, which is great since I have 2 little subnetworks behind routers in my home, and one comp totally exposed, for a total of 3.

In most cases phone tech support isn't very useful, but they're at least reasonable unlike most isps (rogers). The techs on dslr forums keep us posted on issues affecting areas, so we always have an idea of what's going on anyways.

Yes, they do still have soft caps, but they aren't something most of us need to worry about. The only way you'll run into trouble, from what I've read on the forums, is if you drastically overshoot them (we're not talking about just doubling either). The newsserver is terrible, but what can you do, bittorrent is just as good for anime these days anyways, which is all I need them for.

I'll be sad when I have to leave home in september to go back to rogers territory

member for 12.4 years, 759 visits, last login: 7.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by widowmaker22 See Profile

• Location: Peterborough,ON
Good "Great download and upload"

I love it its great for gaming. 3.7mb down and 606kb up

Comments:

Review by joeybee See Profile

• Location: Grimsby,ON
Good "10mb down!!!"
Bad "dunno if there is any"
Overall "cogeco is the best in canada way better then bell or rogers"

Service is rock solid.

member for 11.3 years, 5510 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by mutherboard8 See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Tech's are great."
Overall "pricey, but worth it to me if only for the speed alone."

I find cogeco quite satisfactory. Sort of ticks me off that I have to pay the price I do for the services I used to get on a residential account, but I understand why cogeco instituted it's blocking policy. When I first upgraded I had an issue with our ip being on the maps-dul which appears to have been resolved. Unfortunately my mailer is still being blocked by some isp's (bell for one), which I am beginning to suspect will require an IP change to resolve.

Being a staunch Linux advocate, wringing the last ounce of performance out of my system is key to me. As such, one other complaint I have at present is with speed. I should be seeing upwards of 5000kbps download speeds but am only attaining 1900 or so.

I have to admit that it would also be nice to have a support person within the company that specialized in based Linux systems. It's been a long time since I have had to do so, and nothing ticks me off more than having to bring a windoze system online to prove a point. But I have done so previously, and in fact installed the software to do it for the sole purpose of giving cogeco a way to test. There is nothing more annoying than hearing a tech say "sorry, no windoze, can't help you".

I'm sure both of the issues I have with connection performance will be resolved, but I have some testing of my own to do before I get tech support involved. As for the Linux tech support lacking, well, let's just say I'm open to offers.

Comments:

Review by SailorBoy See Profile

• Location: Middle Musquodoboit,NS
Good "Super fast, Reliable, Good Price"
Bad "Caps however I have never come close to reaching them."
Overall "Excellent ISP. If you live in a Cogeco area get it. You will not be dissapointed."

Cogeco is a great ISP. The download speeds are incrediable. I am completely satisfied with this service. I had the service installed 18 Jul 03 and it has only been offline maybe three times that I can remember and once was during the Blackout of 2003. The reason it took 30 days from order to delivery was because I ordered the service from Nova Scotia a month before I moved to Ontario. On the installation day the technician showed up and on time. Installation took about an hour because the cable was removed by the previous owner. I would recommend this service to anyone who can get it.

member for 10.9 years, 353 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago