Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Hydrolis See Profile

• Location: ONT, Canada
Good "Tech Support is great (Nevertheless). Nice connection sometimes"
Bad "Some connection losses in important times and sometimes....annoying tech support over telephpone"
Overall "I like Cogeco and will stick with it until my connection is nurfed."

Over all Cogeco is good and I will stick with it. I like this site dslreports and the forums here to help me with my ISP and computer needs. I will continue to post on this forum for all my computer questions and concerns. Thanks for nevertheless for getting me quicker server over a forum then I get over a phone.

member for 11.7 years, 134 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by Plexified See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
Good "Great speed and connection reliability!"
Bad "I would prefer to not have the modem charge mandatory."
Overall "I'm very happy w/the whole process."

Was on 56k for 3.5 yrs, then tried dsl for one month (not good), then switched to cogeco cable cause I wasn't going back to dial up. I've been with cogeco for roughly two months and I'm very pleased w/cogeco's service and speed, although I haven't had to use their tech support much (except for one issue which they couldn't help me with, hence the 3 rating). I'm getting higher download speeds than stated even with a router and the uploads are within range (rated for 2000/350, I'm getting an average of 2600/330). The install procedure was quick and painless, using great R6 cable w/heavy duty connectors. There was no contract to sign and my bill comes in the mail, which I prefer over going on my cc. My only gripe would be the modem charge, but I can live with it cause it's fairly priced (both at 45 bills a month including modem charge) with the local dsl service which also has the same mandatory modem charge. I must say, I love the high speed!

Comments:

Review by nerdyguy$ See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Very reliable connection, low pings, never goes below advertised speed"
Overall "Overall a great ISP"

They advertise 2000/384 for the standard package and I actually get about 500kbps above that, and I get 35-40ms pings to dslreports.com, they have 10GB/5GB caps, but it doesn't really bother me since I'm not a heavy downloader, also, not all modems will get above advertised speed, for example, my old Samsung inforanger only got 2000 down, but it still didn't go below 2000 at night-time. As far as installation, I ordered on Thursday and they said that an installer would come next Tuesday, and on Tuesday the installer came and within the time frame that Cogeco specified, the installer finished in 1/2 hour since we didn't have Cable T.V., but he didn't put an outlet on the wall for the cable because he was a lazy prick, so he just ran it through the vent.

Anyways, Cogeco is a great ISP.

member for 11.7 years, 130 visits, last login: 11.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by XangelX8 See Profile

• Location: Belle River,ON
Good "Fast, fast, fast."
Bad "I don't know yet."
Overall "Fast."

It's fast and the guy who installed everything was so nice! That is all.

Comments:

Review by lexsteele See Profile

• Location: Westmount,QC
Good "Luv it!!!"
Bad "Luv it!!!"
Overall "Luv it!!!"

I just moved to Windsor, leaving behind a crappy Rogers connection back in Toronto. I absolutely hated them and I firmly believe that they are screwin a lot of people. Especially with all their new changes, they are the leaders in the downfall of broadband in the Toronto Region. How I wish Cogeco could move into that monopolized Toronto Region......I think I would end up being paid by Cogeco for all my promotion I would be doin for them.

I've been with Rogers for 5 years, and in the beginning, things were great. I would have never recommended people go with Bell. It was kinda like Cogeco is now, well in terms of speed anyway, however, they have done a great job in ruining their network and providing crappy service for increased prices. Sorry, I know this is supposed to be a Cogeco review, but if you realized the crap I had to go through with Rogers, then you would understand why I love Cogeco so much.

member for 12.8 years, 316 visits, last login: 6.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by redEagle0 See Profile

Good "Very Very fast... reliable connection... connection almost never goes down"
Bad "Some p2p throttling"
Overall "A fantastic ISP... can't beat 10/1 in terms of speed."

Cogeco is great. You can't beet the 10/1 Mbit speeds. Uptime is also very reliable. Tech support and customer service is great... i've never had a problem with them. There is some p2p throttling... like Kazaa uploads... but i don't like Kazaa anyway... so it doesn't matter. With bittorrent i've noticed that i have to change the server port to something other than the default... and then... everything is okay.

member for 12.2 years, 837 visits, last login: 8.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by Sheesh See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "Excellent speed, almost always between 1800-2100 kbps download and 250-450 upload."
Bad "Windsor office staff"
Overall "Excellent package. Great speeds."

My internet was out for about an hour. I called other people who I knew used cable, but on different nodes, and they too were out. I was about to call my provider to see what was going on when everything wqas up and running again. Still I have no regrets with my choice.

I have been using the Cogeco@Home service right from the start. Installation was handled by two groups of people. The first group installed the cable box and cable, and the other brought the NIC and modem. I have had no trouble with it what so ever, except for the occasional mail server problem. My father on the other hand, had some serious speed issues. He would download many files at 2.2-3.2k/sec. I called the support line and did a router trace. One of the routers was bad and with in one day, all was good again with never a problem since.

I guess my only complaint would be modem renting. There is no option to buy, but if it ever comes up, I'll buy one for sure

Cable went out for almost 12 hours. It wasn't just Cogeco though, Someone sliced a major backbone.

I called because I forgot my Email password. I was on the phone for over an hour waiting for someone to answer. All they had to do was reset my password. Took five minutes.

member for 13.6 years, 2875 visits, last login: 263 days ago

Comments:

Review by Luggi007 See Profile

• Telco party Carnegie Telephone Company
  • CLEC party: Carnegie Telephone Company
Good "Damn Speed!"
Bad "Guy who installed it damaged my house..."
Overall "Damn!"

After using AOL for many years, I finally decided that I needed to upgrade. On Tuesday I went online to cogeco.ca and placed my order, and later that day I called them to confirm everything.

Guy came on Saturday, and had to do some phone/cable wire stuff, and drill two holes through my house. Guy sorta damaged my side with ladder, and broke off a piece (small) of my siding. Gave me RCA modem.After about 1hr30mins, everything was all set, and I gave the guy my money order for 48.10 and he left.

With a Celeron 366 32mb, I didn't expect very much, but to my suprise the Cogeco site said I was getting 2200/700. BBR says around 1000/200-1300/500. Must be because of location. Huge change of going from AOL 39/24!!!!

Overall, I am quite pleased, and hope that Cogeco will never do me wrong. I recommend this ISP way more than Sympatico, which I know is much slower :ll.

Comments:

Review by xRAGEx See Profile

• Location: Stoney Creek,ON
Good "Very good tech support, fast speeds"
Bad "Connection sometimes unstable"
Overall "Definately worth your money"

Coming from Toronto (Rogers) I have been VERY satisfied with my service here at Cogeco. It was installed within the week of ordering, and the techie was also helpful. The speed has been great so far (about 2500/350), and they even give you several IPs to use. My connection has dropped a few times, but I suspect this is due to the fast that I live in a new survey. But Cogeco is definately worth the $45...

member for 12.7 years, 806 visits, last login: 7.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by skasucks76 See Profile

• Location: Trenton,ON
Good "Always fast, pretty reliable"
Bad "Goes down sometimes, albeit rarely, and doesn't stay down very long"
Overall "Best in town!"

Eye-popping speed, connected 99% of the time, and when it does go down it isn't down very long. I'd estimate I've lost connection maybe 5 times (that I've noticed anyway) in a year, not bad at all. I've seen one flashing cable light in two years, pretty reliable. The other high speed provider in Quinte is Sympatico DSL, which I've also heard good things from, but hey DSL sucks compared to cable! If you're an amateur Internet user I probabally wouldn't recommend Cogeco because you'll evolve into a new species before you get to talk to someone in tech support, that's their only flaw.