Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by tyler412521 See Profile

• Location: h0h 0h0
Good "Solid connection, good speeds, 3 IP addresses!"
Bad "Some lengthy tech support calls.. 5 HOUR WAIT for 2nd tier tech"
Overall "Not bad, they serve me well, no real complaints"

They upped the price once already, but the install was smooth.. the techs knew what they were doing. Speeds have been good, ~300k max

I've had some pretty nasty runins with the tech support.. They have a 5 hour waiting policy before the 2nd tier tech support will call you back.

I get 3 IP addresses, so I can run my 3 computers w/o having to have a router.

Comments:

Review by Incognetoo See Profile

• Location: Tilbury,ON
Good "very fast reliable connection"
Bad "1st tier tech support is very poor"
Overall "i would (and have ) recommend the isp"

I was a little concerned when my pre-sales question, What's the average speed? Stumped the tech support person.
However I have had a flawless connection since installation.

Comments:

Review by Chelle See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Reliable connection, never goes down. 3 IP addresses."
Bad "None yet."
Overall "Definitely worth the money."

I had cogeco installed back in September of 2001 when it was still managed by our local cable company and known as Quintenet. The installer was generally worthless and I asked him to just leave the stuff and I would install it myself. He seemed irritated that I had Windows 2000 and told me it wasn't supported. Anyway, he wasn't even in his truck yet when I had it up and running. I didn't receive or use any software and my NIC was already installed so all I had to do was plug in the Com21 modem and reboot. Ten minutes after that the connection was shared between two of our computers.

I had speed issues in March that were fixed by a hardware upgrade by the ISP, the problem was affecting most of Eastern Ontario but in my opinion it was taken care of quickly and hasn't tainted my opinion of the company. I haven't really used the tech support so I have no comment about that and I don't use the email or news servers so I can't rate those either.

Overall, I would recommend the service, it's fast and stable and affordable.

Update January 2004 - Have cogeco at my third location and still have no complaints whatsoever about the service at any of the past or current addresses. Recent speed increases have brought the standard package up to speeds of 5mbit down/640 up without a price increase.

member for 12.7 years, 4223 visits, last login: 2.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by sikk$ See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Nice and fast"
Bad "Wait for service. Next to no documentation with install package"
Overall "Definitely the best choice for my current situation. Thumbs up."

Good points:

My connection is consistently around 2 Mbps, regardless of the time of day. Other than a problem with a setting in the box outside, the connection has been totally reliable.

Bad points:

The initial 1 week wait seemed to be a bit much. I also had to wait nearly another week to get a technician to come look at the line problem (above) I was having.

The fact that there's no documentation on the modem I received is a bit distressing. There is also no documentation for other services offered (mail, nntp, dns). The tech who did the initial install had to write the pop and smtp servers on my copy of the "subscriber agreement". I would suspect this has to do with the demise of @home.

All in all, the experience has been pretty smooth. I'd recommend Cogeco to anyone looking for a fast ISP who isn't Bell.

member for 12.7 years, 398 visits, last login: 11.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by kdmullen See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "good price for service"

Over all A good value

Comments:

Review by WomTiki See Profile

• Location: Sarnia,ON
Good "Fast Installation, GREAT SPEEDS!!!"
Bad "sporatic email problems"
Overall "Great ISP, highly recommended"

Installation was very very fast. Ordered the service on a saturday (yes, sales reps were available on a saturday) and had the guy out on the following monday to install the modem. Had a problem after 3 months with my Com21 modem, called on a saturday again, had the cable guy out on the monday to replace it with a Samsung Inforanger modem. Tech support has always been easy to talk to and get ahold of. I have had a few email outages but it's not overly concerning to me.

Now if only I can figure out how to uncap this modem

Overall, I have had a great experience with Cogeco and love the service.

Comments:

Review by weirdwillie See Profile

• Location: Welland Ont.
Good "Great consistent speed/Very rarely down/Install Tech went out of his way to do a great job"
Overall "I cannot imagine going back to dial-up"

You hear lots of horror stories about cable but my experience has been great. I would highly recommend Cogeco to anyone. As far as tech support is concerned I've never had to call them.

Comments:

Review by scsixprt See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Smoking Fast connection most of the time, 90% reliable"
Bad "Non Existant tech support, email and news servers down 50% of the time"
Overall "For $42.75/month (Including taxes) still 1000% better than Bell Canada or Dialup"

The service is mostly reliable, and smoking fast most of the time. Tech support is non existant, and clueless. Becasuse of the @home affiliation, email and news are problematic at best. Cogeco is very slow at splitting notes. Installation is contacted out to clueless idiots, so be carefull when ordering. Choose the self install, and let a friend help you if you need it. Bottom line, still better than Bell Canada and only $42.75/month (Including taxes)

Comments:

Review by Canadavey See Profile

• Location: GTA
Good "Speed, network is usually up and running, it's not Bell Canada"
Bad "Tech support is useless"
Overall "Good for the avg surfer / internet usage"

Field tech came by at 4:45 and I was online at 4:55. I've only had a few problems in the six months of having the service. Might I recommend that if you have a Com21 DoxPort 111 modem with Cogeco, SWAP THE MODEM!! You'll have severe packet loss problems sooner or later with those modems... Stick with a Samsung Inforanger for now

The network goes down once in a while, but it usually goes back up with an hour or two. Speed is good too... Don't think there's nothing much else to say, other then my closing note...

Don't expect good technical support... I had one rep tell me I had to reformat my drive because the MODEM was dropping packets. *rolling eyes*

Comments:

Review by Urlborg See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "Responsive, if useless, tech support."
Bad "Poor reliability, down for hours every other day."
Overall "'Cable Bundle' (digital cable box + internet $99Can.) package is a really good deal."

When we contemplated moving from East Toronto (Shaw@home) the first thing we did was check for both DSL and cable availablity, since we had both (sympatico and Shaw) in our home office in Toronto.

Sympatico was a worry, since they said they were only just ready to come online with HSE in West Windsor starting two weeks earlier, the very month of our arrival. UPS picked up our old Nortel DSL modem and exchanged a new Alcatel one in short order upon our arrival at the new digs, no problem with the emails. Problem was, the modem would not connect!

When we informed Cogeco that we were already Shaw (@home) customers, they quickly arranged for "seamless" service transition to the new ISP/Company! We were able to keep all our existing email accounts, with a timeout of a few days while they were released from Shaw and transferred to Cogeco.

Since these were both self-installs (in the first place) and only involved modem switching the race was on!

A day later, the Cogeco "contractor" dumped off the modem, installes a new splitter and ran a few extra feet of wire, ruining the picture quality on our living room cable outlet, which is dead last, now 4 splits away from the headend in our home. The cable outlets in three bedrooms, plus the headend split for the modem now degrade the signal in the living room so badly we cannot add even a VCR to the main entertainment center in there, since the 35" Tosiba FST has two internal tuners (sigh - video only recording, no VCR+). One bedroom has two ATI tuners on two of our office machines, the others, a set apiece.

Now I'm getting excited, at 3 days, the cable modem is DOA and the guy doesn't have a spare! He leaves it, and makes a work order for the cable guy to check the signal. I've already got the DSL modem, just waiting for a connect from the office -Right?

Getting excited, I call Sympatico to find out what's happening. They say there must be "trouble in the office" and make a work order. They helpfully suggest I use their local dialup number (10 free hours a month -standard) to get my email and browse until connection is working. Less than a week and they've won! I got sympatico working before @home -Right?

Cable guy shows up four days later to dump off the digital box. Another hungry tuner on the end of the line! Out goes the VCR, since the cable signal is so weak in the living room I can't bear the noise the guy can't see. He "doesn't do internet stuff" (or leave manuals for the universal digital box remote) and leaves. Now we see some movies,

Broadband digital cable is poison for RF video bandwidth! Our TV set gets 3X better picture and sound when we switch antennas to normal broadcast band, can't understand how anyone with a larger screen could put up with it at all! All cable channels are fairly clear, but distinctly snowy and of poor-average fidelity. Digital channels are mpeg blocky, and display badly color reduced isobaric color distortion. This is the case whether you get the internet or not, just the nature of "wire cramming" technology. Maybe it will improve some day! Forget cable FM, it stinks, but the built in DMX is good enough, if you don't mind burning out your TV picture tube to listen to music the height of stupidity and poor design in digital boxes. Oddly you cannot turn off the TV set when DMX is on, even if you run audio direct to your sound system.

The Sympatico guys phone and unsympathetically inform us that there is a shortage of "line cards" at our phone office, and the rack they have has been donated to some local third party ISP (we have no idea who) whom the CRTC has mandated to have first dibs on. Something about "competition". Bottom line, maybe a few more weeks before they can turn on the DSL

Now ten days have passed. the cable "line boss" guy shows up to see what the deal is. He tests the line, determines the Samsung cheapie modem is faulty, gets the "good one" (he says they're mostly all bad but he knows this one is working) he hooks it up and it doesn't work. Time to head for the pole. He moves our line to the top of the main splitter and magic, @home has won the race!

Sympatico did not get it together until two (and a half) months later, and to top it off tried to charge us for both DSL (which wasn't working) and extra bandwidth on the dialup to boot!!! We put an end to that noisily!!

Now that both are working, the sympatico service is more reliable, the cable goes out for a few hours more or less every other day. @home's servers, either news or mail are also rather flukey or down now and then. One cannot compare the speed, cable is way faster, when it works. Unlike Shaw (Teryon - Motorola) the Cogeco cable (Samsung) doesn't snoop in your netbios to 'identify' your machine and vnbt.386 can be completely dumped. POP uses normal authentication.

Still a good value for the money, and we're thinking of dumping sympatico entirely, it's way overpriced by comparison!