Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by nevertheless See Profile

• Location: Dundas,ON
Good "Fast, Reliable -- Even Faster Now!"
Overall "Works great for me"

Well, BBR keeps bugging me to do one of these (and now to update it, and now to update it again, and yet again, and even, yet again, and, alas, again!!), so I finally relented. As an employee, I'm certainly biased, but I am still a user.

I use my connection heavily, mostly for SSH traffic, email, and the odd massive download, but my modem is almost never down, and when it is it's usually planned work. Uploads/Downloads are consitant for me, and have been at 4 seperate locations while I've been living in Cogeco areas. Cogeco has also recently (Jan 2004) upgraded the speeds for both pro and standard users--I must say that while I don't heavily monitor my speeds, faster can't be worse, can it?

If you're having troubles with your Cogeco connection, stop by the Cogeco forum, there are a few techs that post there in their free time--look for VIP tags (I have one). Although we can't promise you anything, sometimes we can help. Many of the non-employee posters there are quite knowledgable and can help as well.

Yay me. I wonder if I'll get in trouble because of this: "The penalty for ISPs who fake reviews (or post reviews on behalf of customers), can be as severe as DELISTING"

Comments:

Review by Exodus_ See Profile

• Location: Brockville,ON
Good "fast, stable, good phone support"
Bad "none yet"
Overall "good value for the price and the service works well"

I decided to go with cogeco when I moved to the other end of town. They had just completed an extensive rebuild of this whole area and I decided to give them a try after a huge nightmare with bell canada.

The install was quick simple and easy and cogeco even reinstated my old email address I had with them previously.

The service as been working flawlessly since install in the summer of 2007 and I have had no major issues.

Comments:

Review by Kenny Rogers See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "10000/684 or w/e, Loose Caps, Fast Pr0n Downloads, Helpful Forums"
Bad "N/A"
Overall "One Eyed Rodney Pete gives it 10 squirts out of 10"

I have no complaints to my service so far. We've had it for almost 2 years and no flaws or anything. A few downtimes but only due to upgrades to the service. They sometimes offer great connector deals like free installation and a really low monthly cost (ie. $20/month).

THUMBS UP TO COGECO

member for 12.6 years, 3221 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by jafo98 See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "Great Speed"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "If you have DSL I would highly recommend checking Cogeco"

I was getting 1.5 meg service with Sympatico. Ordered Cogeco regular highspeed online and everything went well with the installation. I am getting between 6-9 meg so I am definately happy so far.

member for 13.2 years, 445 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by TBD2Day See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Reliable services, great support"
Bad "Bandwidth caps"
Overall "Quality service, no personal issues"

When my installation for another ISP did not go through properly, we were without phone, internet or satelite for over a week at our new home. We decided to go with Cogeco. They were promt, efficient, and I have not had a single issue with their service since, save one outage which lasted me an hour. The only thing I have to monitor is how much I download, which is understandable, but the price has always been on par with other providers in the area and the information I was given with regards to me service has always been relatively clear. I've had Cogeco for about two years now, 1 year of which I was simply a customer, and had no afiliation with Cogeco.

Comments:

Review by BSH_05 See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "Consistant for 6+ years, newsgroup access, helpful tech support"
Bad "Peak times can slow speeds"
Overall "Recommended"

Always been treated well as a customer of Cogeco cable internet and digital cable. Recently had a problem with regards to very slow speeds (attributed to an old cable modem) which was rectified quickly.

Newsgroup access an added bonus, suitable for my household's moderate downloading habits (I've read about download caps at DSLReports but have yet to witness them firsthand)

Put the service through its paces over the years with online gaming, downloading, and streaming content, and I would recommend it to others.

Comments:

Review by trentradio See Profile

• Location: Peterborough,ON
Good "Solid & Ever-faster Up & Down Link Speeds"
Bad "Hosting Services sketchy"

Looked at Bell & Nexicom, but they are not great for uploaders.
Using SOHO $90/mn, Good communications re: installation
Cogeco treats its business customers very well, while residential services are not as well supported.

Comments:

Review by bjantzi See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
Good "High speed internet is fast when it works, Changing to RCA from Samsung modem seems to have resolved problem."
Bad "Samsung stalls and takes many minutes to unfreeze, has been virtually dead for 5 days."
Overall "Changed Samsung to RCA Modem & issue seems resolved! RCA is 3853/615 vs Samsung died to <600 kbps/99 kbps past 5 days.TKS Cogeco"

HAPPY CAMPER NOW!!!

Thank you everyone! (especially help1234@cogeco.com for how to do). Changing from the Samsung to the RCA high speed cable modem moved the speed up to 3853/615. People at the Cogeco storefront at Oakville Place were very helpful too. Fabulous!
Thanks again everyone, & Cogeco! This seems to have resolved my problem.
Looks like the Samsung was starting to die.
Current time: December 10, 2007 5:53 pm EST. L6L 3L3

new speed: 3853/615 ! yay!
»/im/41572392/30495.png

UNHAPPY CAMPER HERE. High speed internet is fast when it works, but it has suddenly started freezing mid-transmission whether upload or download... net result is performance far worse than dial-up. It IS DEAD. DSLreports demonstrates this... look it up. Past 3-4 days has been worse Internet performance than in 1996 when I had dial-up with Netcom. Cogeco... you must do better. Is there a node problem in our neighbourhood... something jamming up? Please get it cleared. I have made no software changes in weeks. What happened 3-4 days ago to Cogeco high speed internet service? It just DIED. Current date time: Dec.8,2007 10:58 pm EST. L6L 3L3

LOOK: »/im/41468443/78287.png
next day, Dec.9,2007 2:05 pm EST: it gets even worse: »/im/41499712/86188.png
it slowed down even more to: 126/56....???

Comments:

Review by default0task See Profile

• Location: Niagara
Good "Great Speed"
Bad "Caps"
Overall "Best service in the area"

·TekSavvy Cable
Love the speed and extra email accounts.
The web space could use a few add-ons.

2004-09-09 05:16:50 EST: 9172 / 935
Your download speed : 9392336 bps, or 9172 kbps.
A 1146.5 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 957625 bps, or 935 kbps.

member for 12.5 years, 5672 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Rifleman See Profile

• Location: p1a
Good "No Problems/Great Speed"
Bad "Pricey"
Overall "If you want speed this is the way to go"

I have had great service for 2 years now with no downtime other than the odd reset. Speeds are usually over 5 megabits down and over 500kbits up.

With basic cable and internet the price is almost 100 a month which is expensive to me but the speed is addicting. Only downside I see is I very seldom utilize the full bandwidth. Big downloads are quick providing the spot you download from can provide the bandwidth.

UPDATE----Speed has increased to 6Mb and 600Kb. The only complaint I have is it isn't possible to utilize that speed. If using Bittorrent---as soon as the speed get going anywhere near 5 Mb the connection quits. I have to reboot the modem each time. I have adjusted setting to no avail--so suspect the provider. I have yet to find a site when surfing that will max out the connection speed----so kind of paying for nothing. I have come to the conclusion that 3 Mb is lots for most users.

Still good service---even switched the phone to Cogeco as it was cheaper

UPDATE: I had service downgraded to basic while my PC was being fixed. Called 2 nights ago and requested Pro service. 24 hours later still no increase so I called again. Guy that answered said hed fix it immediately----and he did. Only downside is price and 100Gig cap.

member for 10.8 years, 4937 visits, last login: a few hours ago