Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by dgorgan See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "High speed"
Bad "Cripplingly low bandwidth caps, Painful billing once caps are exceeded"
Overall "Avoid Cogeco!"

Cogeco has several high-speed packages, but they have recently implemented usage caps and billing on their plans.

The plan I'm currently subscribed to (High Speed Internet Standard) has a ridiculously low cap of 60gb up/down a month. Beyond that, you'll pay $1.50 per gigabyte transferred. There's a stated limit of $30 of charges for usage over the cap, but there are still questions about having service cut off after exceeding the cap.

If my hard drive were to crash, I would need at least 40gb to re-download all the content (Steam purchases) and patches (WoW, Windows security updates) that I have today, and that number is going up. That would block out any use of the streaming video I would want to watch or buying any downloadable software using digital distribution.

Simply put, the transfer cap is too low to keep up with the future of the online marketplace. Avoid Cogeco if you plan on actually using your InterNet connection.

Comments:

Review by WiFi See Profile

• Location: NiagaraFalls
Good "I get something from my broadband connection."
Bad "Bad ARP traffic affects overall performance, Mostly reliable although they now throttle and speeds are nowhere near advertised!"
Overall "Poor value for money. If you need broadband, don't need tech support, and always want overage charges, Cogeco is for you!"

·Start Communicat..
Updated 15Jan11: TEKSAVVY, HERE I COME! Hey Cogeco, say goodbye to a 10+y broadband customer. I dumped Bell in 1999 and never looked back, I'm dumping you, too! Since when do your "customer service" "unprofessionals" have the right to call and THREATEN me? I was in the hospital and recover for over a month from a serious accident, I live alone, was not home for weeks. Cogeco called and said if I didn't pay up on the spot, I would be disconnected. They didn't care that I had been away for many weeks. They don't know what empathy is! I got behind in other bills (everything OK now) and even my electric utility, that sent a disconnect notice, was easy on me, removed the order and told me to pay whenever I was ready! I was in a week later and they told me they were sorry to hear what had happened and that they made sure that the order did not affect my credit rating. Things happen, they recognized that, but NO, not Cogeco! This Quebec company is a DISGRACE to business and actually makes Bell Canada look good Finally, Cogeco won't admit it but they are throttling. MY VOIP has not been working consistently ever since Cogeco started enforcing bandwidth caps. That tells me they are discriminating against services competing with their own VOIP phone service!

Updated Mar15/10: Got screwed by refer a friend yet again. I did it according to the Cogeco requirements, they have no record, my friend gets HSI, I get zip! I'm now referring friends to teksavvy where I'm moving to shortly.

Updated March 10, 2010: Speeds not as advertised and they tell me it's "up to". Oh, yeah, I forgot that minor detail...duhhhh! I'm just a dumb consumer that likes being taken to the cleaners. BANDWIDTH CAPS SUCK! NEVER went more than 10Megs/mo EVER in the more than 11 years I've had Cogeco HSI and now they want me to believe THEIR proprietary meter that says I'm going over every month?

Updated July03: I referred a friend, the Cogeco referral page says that I will be contacted, they havn't done so, I called them, there are no records of a referral. So they get a new client because of me, I get nothing. PROGRAM IS flat out FALSE ADVERTISING!

Cogeco just began offering Lite service (lower bandwidth, lower speed, fewer email accounts) and Pro (higher bandwidth, faster speed). Good feedback from senior techs on DSLr Cogeco forum which is the only reliable tech support available. Cogeco outsources installation to another company in Niagara whose employee (in my experience) was not familiar with Internet technology nor interested in customer service. The techs are on quotas, in my case there were problems with the building wiring, the tech left after his allotted time with no apology or gaurantee of when they would be back. I had to wait all day for that appointment and was then expected to wait another day later in the week to finish installation.

I was also forced by FUTURESHOP St.Catharines (where I signed on) to purchase an old "Wave @Home" CD before they would sign me up - I recently learned that Cogeco does not permit the resellers to give away let alone sell these CD's anymore! BE CAREFUL! DO NOT LET FUTURESHOP RIP YOU OFF LIKE THEY RIPPED ME! **If Cogeco has regional marketing reps, why they wouldn't be aware of this?

• Location: N0P2L
Bad "Limited HD choices, frequent eruption of pixellation, tech support says it's your problem, but problem is magically fixed in min"
Overall "Wish there wash an alternative here !!!!"

Since early summer of 2010, my next door neighbour has signed up with
Cogeco. As a "temporary" installation, Cogeco ran a cable across her
front lawn and my front lawn to the cable entry point at the front of my
house and installed a splitter. I have been promised that the cable
would be re-located and buried at least six times. I cannot cut the lawn
between our houses because of the cable lying in the grass.

Over Christmas, I learned that a daughter of a friend of mine had Cogeco
installed in her new house. Instead of burying the cable, they strung it
through the trees.

I have offered to loan Cogeco a shovel, but each time they send someone
out, they just look at the mess, shake their heads and leave. My last
call to Cogeco was two weeks ago and I asked to speak to a manager. They
promised to have someone call the next day...no one has returned my
call. Now I am get warnings about approaching my 60G per month download
limit. I suspect my usage is being combined with her usage (two kids).

Since I get no response from Cogeco, who do I complain to????

(review was emailed from domain cogeco.ca)

Comments:

Review by carstunts See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "Awesome 10mb download, 600kb upload."
Bad "Expensive, 60GB cap is not enough for what's available online, but better than my old DSL service for speed."
Overall "Good speeds, but low cap limits. Looking to another provider that offers unlimited."

I previously had DSL service with AEI Internet (based out of Montreal, Quebec), however I had to switch due to sucky Bell lines and being to far from Bell central office (as DSL is distance dependent). I highly recommend them as a DSL provider for great prices. Unfortunately, where I am located, I was lucky to get 500kb or 600kb down max on my line. The speeds were brutal and were unacceptable. I was forced to switch to Cogeco cable for faster and reliable service. Now with my Cogeco Cable review. They seem to be a rock solid internet provider and their technical support staff seems to know their stuff. They have dispatched techs and attempted to bill me for repair that wasn't my equipment but with their lines. It was a problem with the signal getting to my home. This has been resolved. I am quite familiar with the process of how this stuff works my self as I work as a technical support technician for a local ISP. The package I ordered with Cogeco was 10Mb download and 600kb upload. Relatively satisfied with the service. Ordering over the phone was a breeze and the install was a couple days later. They barried the cable the next week. They give you a rental modem and it is included in the price. This probably has a lot to do with why the service is more expensive and bandwidth costs. They don't give you an option to purchase the cable modem outright. For what is available online (eg. streaming media, music, etc), you can hit 60GBs very quickly if you aren't careful. I also use Vonage for home phone which also uses bandwidth and I had to adjust accordingly. If you want good fast speeds, this is definitely a good company to consider but just watch your bandwidth usage. I am hoping this will be changed in the future - Support Net Neutrality - www.saveournet.org

Update: Looking to switch to Teksavvy Cable which is to come to my area very soon. The package is: TekSavvy Extreme Cable Pro - 15 Mbps Download, 1 Mbps Upload and it's Unlimited for $54.95. You can buy the modem outright. I'm very excited. More details here: »teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp#cable

I'm getting totally ripped off by Cogeco right now. I will provide an update as soon as I switch (hopefully it will be soon!)

Update: Just ordered with Teksavvy - the $48.00 package- 14MB connection, unlimited. Service is to be activated as of Feb 5 / 2011. Was SO happy to cancel with Cogeco. Hopefully it is smooth sailing from here.

• Location: L9g3y
Good "Fast download speeds, reliable connection"
Bad "Cap is smaller than most phone plans. Charges way too much for overage"
Overall "Avoid"

Really good download speeds. Ridiculous overage fees. Would rather switch to
unlimited.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

• Location: p1b3n
Good "Tech service"
Bad "Throttling the speeds, but deny it"
Overall "I want another service, but they have a monopoly"

I know they are throttling - I have been told by the person who brought the services to the North. What is terrible is that they lie about it.

(review was emailed from domain cogeco.ca)

Comments:

Review by Griz_ See Profile

• Location: Wavecrest ON
Good "Reliability, Speed, Value"
Overall "Still happy after all these years"

I've been a Cogeco Standard Service user for over 13 years now. Disruptions to service have been rare and speed is almost always as advertised. As for Tech support, I've only needed to call teo or three times and my problem was solved quickly and easily. Installation was well coordinated, the tech was helpful, friendly and on time. There are some Cogeco employees who are regulars here on the Cogeco forum which is a great added bonus. Price is fair and good value. I am very happy and have no hesitation in recommending Cogeco. Heavy downloaders may want upgrade their account or look elsewhere but for me, Cogeco is a good fit.

member for 12.3 years, 1689 visits, last login: 3.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by wkim75 See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Speed at 6pm was 15Mb/0.6Mb,"
Bad "Speed at 10pm was 3Mb/0.9Mb. No option to provide own modem so price includes modem rental. :("
Overall "Undecided. Will update later.."

Highspeed 'Standard' package (14Mb/1Mb?) - $52/mo (for 12 month commitment). $75 early cancellation fee.

I opted for the month-to-month plan.. $57/mo.

Note they provide the modem, so rental fee is built into price.
They do not allow for use of own modem.

Ordered on a Wednesday.. Didn't hear from them until Monday afternoon..
Good news was, they said they'd have someone out there by Wed (2 days) to get it installed.. ($40 installation fee? I can't recall exactly)

Said technician would be there between 8am and 5pm (really?).. He showed up around 4:45pm.. =/

Installation was quick and painless.
Modem is mounted in place at demark point, so I don't have any good visibility of the modem other than knowing that it's an RCA digital Broadband modem. =/

Service is pricey, with probably a D2 modem (looks old).. but it's my only non-DSL option (when, teksavvy, when?? ).. and I'm 5.5km away from the CO..so cable sounds like my best bet..

Will update more when I have more to report..

Comments:

Review by lecep See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
Good "Decent service in general"
Bad "Expensive, very low caps, cust.svc. will not listen if you have discrepancies regarding bandwith usage, even if they're wrong"

I have been with Cogeco since Aug-2002 and the service is very good in general. I am subscribed to High Speed Internet Standard (10M/640K) and Analog TV.

I do not remember having a major signal outage, what makes its service very reliable. However, peak hours are very critical and I can get speeds around 1000K for download.

I live in a fast growing area in Oakville, probably that's the reason I am getting those numbers after 6pm. I think it's a matter of time when they realize they have to add or update the current networking platform and improve the real bandwidth for this area.

I highly recommend Cogeco since I don't know of any other company providing the same speeds, just be patient and wait until they fix this temporary congestion issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------
UPDATE: 18-Nov-2010
The bandwith meter is unreliable. Very unreliable. Customer service will not help if you find your calculations are different from theirs.

member for 11.8 years, 1941 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by got_milk See Profile

• Location: Georgetown,ON
Good "Speed, extremely high uptimes"
Bad "Insulting customer service, low caps"
Overall "Decent ISP so long as you don't have to call in!"

I've been a Cogeco user for many years now. The service itself is pretty good, almost 100% uptime and no real issues.

Customer service though needs serious work. They assume you know nothing about your network setup and have treated me terribly in the past. The tech installers are good though, we had a modem die and the installer was great, he came and did the swap quickly, and was very friendly.

One day however we had an e-mail sent from Cogeco Security claiming we had a mass mailer that was sending a large amount of spam e-mails from our machine. The e-mail claimed that our service would be disabled in 24 hours if the problem wasn't fixed. This e-mail was sent at 6:00am or so and we were cut off by 9am. I couldn't find any trace of any problems, but I couldn't download any repair tools due to the lack of internet! Called in and the rep suggested to DOWNLOAD TOOLS. The rep treated me like I was an idiot, and told me I should be running up to date anti-virus software (I AM!) I tore him a new one saying that how could I clean this and download the tools he suggests without any connection! I finally bring him around and the internet is enabled. I do my routine checks for malware and they come up clean. To be safe, I put a packet analyzer on for about 8 hours and checked to see if there was any e-mail traffic - there was none. We were cut off again the next day claiming the same thing and I lashed out saying that Cogeco is to not disrupt service without providing me undeniable proof that there was spam e-mails being sent from our location. Haven't heard from them since.

UPDATE: I'm bringing down a few sliders here as it's been a long time since I could get the advertised upload/download speeds. Now I'm lucky if I can break 10Mbps on a 14Mbps line. Also, connectivity has been far less than 100% as over the past few weeks it occasionally drops for a half hour or so. Trucks are rolling around here like mad working but nothing seems to be getting fixed. Looks like my area is overcrowded, it's a common complaint from what I hear around here.