Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

• Location: Purgato
Good "Fast speed"
Bad "The advertised price is 41.95, but I am paying 56.95 plus taxes?"

My only choice for a cable provider is Cogeco. I am very annoyed that
they can advertise a price of 41.95 For Standard Internet, yet they are
charging me 56.95?!
Time to start shopping around for DSL?

(review was emailed from domain cogeco.ca)

• Location: L0S1P
Good "Very reliable"
Bad "Very expensive"

I have been using Cogeco for about 8 years now. In the beginning the only
service they offered was unlimited North America calling with all the smart
phone features and an internet service without a cap. In the last few years
they put a cap on their internet service, you have to pick from several
different internet packages, which are rather expensive. The phone service
is also now split up to 4 different packages, and the unlimited long
distance is very expensive considering there are quite a few voip companies
out there offering much cheaper packages. I am considering switching to a
different provider. As far as the quality and service goes, I had been very
satisfied over the years. If you don=B9t mind paying the price, Cogeco is
probably one of the most reliable provider I have experienced.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by rodjames See Profile

• Location: Petawawa,ON
Good "Customer service is very knowledgable and understanding"
Overall "Speeds are improving slowly."

·TekSavvy DSL
·loclhost.ca
I started out in Kingston with Cogeco, and the service there was phenomenal. I'm an average user who rarely exceeds bandwidth limits and I do a lot of surfing/netflix and xbox gaming.

When I moved to Petawawa I subscribed to Cogeco as soon as it was available.

The service is getting better, and they're working on expanding more into the area with better equipment. I hope to see the Ultimate packages here eventually.

Comments:

Review by cmorey See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "I like how its 3 things for one price"
Bad "Cost of things is way too much"
Overall "Do not frown on people using PS3s and XBox and Wii to connect to the net"

I really want a digital receiver but am told I am unable to have one for reasons. However, the only way that I am told I can one is if I purchase one from them for a huge amount of money that I do not have.

Comments:

Review by Chromac See Profile

• Location: L'Orignal,ON
Good "Fast as a bullet"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Cable rocks"

I guess you could say I'm slightly biased because I work for Cogeco and actually was the project coordinator for the 2 way upgrade that brought HSI to our community. We went live about 4 year ago and since then speeds have been awesome. We're getting 14 mb down 1000 kb up constantly. The service has been solid since installed not one glitch so far but like I said I'm biased. Now I work in the Cornwall area as the Tech Ops Lead

Chromac

member for 13.5 years, 2054 visits, last login: 120 days ago

Comments:

Review by dgorgan See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "High speed"
Bad "Cripplingly low bandwidth caps, Painful billing once caps are exceeded"
Overall "Avoid Cogeco!"

Cogeco has several high-speed packages, but they have recently implemented usage caps and billing on their plans.

The plan I'm currently subscribed to (High Speed Internet Standard) has a ridiculously low cap of 60gb up/down a month. Beyond that, you'll pay $1.50 per gigabyte transferred. There's a stated limit of $30 of charges for usage over the cap, but there are still questions about having service cut off after exceeding the cap.

If my hard drive were to crash, I would need at least 40gb to re-download all the content (Steam purchases) and patches (WoW, Windows security updates) that I have today, and that number is going up. That would block out any use of the streaming video I would want to watch or buying any downloadable software using digital distribution.

Simply put, the transfer cap is too low to keep up with the future of the online marketplace. Avoid Cogeco if you plan on actually using your InterNet connection.

member for 12.1 years, 47 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by WiFi See Profile

• Location: NiagaraFalls
Good "I get something from my broadband connection."
Bad "Bad ARP traffic affects overall performance, Mostly reliable although they now throttle and speeds are nowhere near advertised!"
Overall "Poor value for money. If you need broadband, don't need tech support, and always want overage charges, Cogeco is for you!"

Updated 15Jan11: TEKSAVVY, HERE I COME! Hey Cogeco, say goodbye to a 10+y broadband customer. I dumped Bell in 1999 and never looked back, I'm dumping you, too! Since when do your "customer service" "unprofessionals" have the right to call and THREATEN me? I was in the hospital and recover for over a month from a serious accident, I live alone, was not home for weeks. Cogeco called and said if I didn't pay up on the spot, I would be disconnected. They didn't care that I had been away for many weeks. They don't know what empathy is! I got behind in other bills (everything OK now) and even my electric utility, that sent a disconnect notice, was easy on me, removed the order and told me to pay whenever I was ready! I was in a week later and they told me they were sorry to hear what had happened and that they made sure that the order did not affect my credit rating. Things happen, they recognized that, but NO, not Cogeco! This Quebec company is a DISGRACE to business and actually makes Bell Canada look good Finally, Cogeco won't admit it but they are throttling. MY VOIP has not been working consistently ever since Cogeco started enforcing bandwidth caps. That tells me they are discriminating against services competing with their own VOIP phone service!

Updated Mar15/10: Got screwed by refer a friend yet again. I did it according to the Cogeco requirements, they have no record, my friend gets HSI, I get zip! I'm now referring friends to teksavvy where I'm moving to shortly.

Updated March 10, 2010: Speeds not as advertised and they tell me it's "up to". Oh, yeah, I forgot that minor detail...duhhhh! I'm just a dumb consumer that likes being taken to the cleaners. BANDWIDTH CAPS SUCK! NEVER went more than 10Megs/mo EVER in the more than 11 years I've had Cogeco HSI and now they want me to believe THEIR proprietary meter that says I'm going over every month?

Updated July03: I referred a friend, the Cogeco referral page says that I will be contacted, they havn't done so, I called them, there are no records of a referral. So they get a new client because of me, I get nothing. PROGRAM IS flat out FALSE ADVERTISING!

Cogeco just began offering Lite service (lower bandwidth, lower speed, fewer email accounts) and Pro (higher bandwidth, faster speed). Good feedback from senior techs on DSLr Cogeco forum which is the only reliable tech support available. Cogeco outsources installation to another company in Niagara whose employee (in my experience) was not familiar with Internet technology nor interested in customer service. The techs are on quotas, in my case there were problems with the building wiring, the tech left after his allotted time with no apology or gaurantee of when they would be back. I had to wait all day for that appointment and was then expected to wait another day later in the week to finish installation.

I was also forced by FUTURESHOP St.Catharines (where I signed on) to purchase an old "Wave @Home" CD before they would sign me up - I recently learned that Cogeco does not permit the resellers to give away let alone sell these CD's anymore! BE CAREFUL! DO NOT LET FUTURESHOP RIP YOU OFF LIKE THEY RIPPED ME! **If Cogeco has regional marketing reps, why they wouldn't be aware of this?

• Location: N0P2L
Bad "Limited HD choices, frequent eruption of pixellation, tech support says it's your problem, but problem is magically fixed in min"
Overall "Wish there wash an alternative here !!!!"

Since early summer of 2010, my next door neighbour has signed up with
Cogeco. As a "temporary" installation, Cogeco ran a cable across her
front lawn and my front lawn to the cable entry point at the front of my
house and installed a splitter. I have been promised that the cable
would be re-located and buried at least six times. I cannot cut the lawn
between our houses because of the cable lying in the grass.

Over Christmas, I learned that a daughter of a friend of mine had Cogeco
installed in her new house. Instead of burying the cable, they strung it
through the trees.

I have offered to loan Cogeco a shovel, but each time they send someone
out, they just look at the mess, shake their heads and leave. My last
call to Cogeco was two weeks ago and I asked to speak to a manager. They
promised to have someone call the next day...no one has returned my
call. Now I am get warnings about approaching my 60G per month download
limit. I suspect my usage is being combined with her usage (two kids).

Since I get no response from Cogeco, who do I complain to????

(review was emailed from domain cogeco.ca)

Comments:

Review by carstunts See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "Awesome 10mb download, 600kb upload."
Bad "Expensive, 60GB cap is not enough for what's available online, but better than my old DSL service for speed."
Overall "Good speeds, but low cap limits. Looking to another provider that offers unlimited."

I previously had DSL service with AEI Internet (based out of Montreal, Quebec), however I had to switch due to sucky Bell lines and being to far from Bell central office (as DSL is distance dependent). I highly recommend them as a DSL provider for great prices. Unfortunately, where I am located, I was lucky to get 500kb or 600kb down max on my line. The speeds were brutal and were unacceptable. I was forced to switch to Cogeco cable for faster and reliable service. Now with my Cogeco Cable review. They seem to be a rock solid internet provider and their technical support staff seems to know their stuff. They have dispatched techs and attempted to bill me for repair that wasn't my equipment but with their lines. It was a problem with the signal getting to my home. This has been resolved. I am quite familiar with the process of how this stuff works my self as I work as a technical support technician for a local ISP. The package I ordered with Cogeco was 10Mb download and 600kb upload. Relatively satisfied with the service. Ordering over the phone was a breeze and the install was a couple days later. They barried the cable the next week. They give you a rental modem and it is included in the price. This probably has a lot to do with why the service is more expensive and bandwidth costs. They don't give you an option to purchase the cable modem outright. For what is available online (eg. streaming media, music, etc), you can hit 60GBs very quickly if you aren't careful. I also use Vonage for home phone which also uses bandwidth and I had to adjust accordingly. If you want good fast speeds, this is definitely a good company to consider but just watch your bandwidth usage. I am hoping this will be changed in the future - Support Net Neutrality - www.saveournet.org

Update: Looking to switch to Teksavvy Cable which is to come to my area very soon. The package is: TekSavvy Extreme Cable Pro - 15 Mbps Download, 1 Mbps Upload and it's Unlimited for $54.95. You can buy the modem outright. I'm very excited. More details here: »teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp ··· sp#cable

I'm getting totally ripped off by Cogeco right now. I will provide an update as soon as I switch (hopefully it will be soon!)

Update: Just ordered with Teksavvy - the $48.00 package- 14MB connection, unlimited. Service is to be activated as of Feb 5 / 2011. Was SO happy to cancel with Cogeco. Hopefully it is smooth sailing from here.

• Location: L9g3y
Good "Fast download speeds, reliable connection"
Bad "Cap is smaller than most phone plans. Charges way too much for overage"
Overall "Avoid"

Really good download speeds. Ridiculous overage fees. Would rather switch to
unlimited.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)