Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by d33d See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "Ultimate 50 is VERY FAST, Connection is always up, Love it"
Bad "Capped at 150gigs is too low for something that downloads at up to almost 6Mb/s"
Overall "Not worth the price but the speed is irresistible"

Early adoption of the Ultimate 50 package was painful due to knowledgeably challenged field techs, store front reps and phone support agents that made me jump through so many hoops I'm still tired. Cogeco's saving grace are the reps that lurk on this site and go way beyond the call of duty to help customers in need. Thank you broadbandreports and thank you "Krispy".

Now my VOIP and Internet are working very well without drops and very fast. I'm still dealing with spotty HDTV with many audio dropouts and picture pixelation without a resolution as Tech support do not seem to have any solution for me.

My only other issue with Cogeco but not just them is the bandwidth cap on the internet packages, what is so "ULTIMATE" about a 150gig cap? When you advertise the thousands of mp3's or hundreds of thousands of photos (300 game demos is off as the average game demo is more like 1GB then 500MB) one can download at lightning fast speeds, reaching the cap in a matter of days and then pay another $50 in overages doesn't feel very ultimate.

All in all I love my cogeco and wouldn't trade it for any other "blue" companies.

Comments:

Review by digitalfutur See Profile

• Location: BurlingtonON
Good "Reliable, 3 (cable) outlets @ no extra charge, fast"
Bad "Free fSecure internet security package inferior to Norton 360 4.0"
Overall "Best of the Cable ISPs"

Update Aug 18, 10 - No change from last year. Price has gone up $5 but d/l speed and reliability are very good. We finally got digital cable so with the first year discounts it's cheaper, and about $5 more a month after that. Good deal. I've been bombarded with Bell Fibe snail mail and telephone calls, but DSL just doesn't compare to cable

Update Aug 1,09 - D/L speed has increased to 14 MB/s in the past month, upload to just over 1MB/s fo the hi speed standard package. Recent price increase of $2/month so value is unchanged, as is my rating. 60GB cap meets my needs as I don't download movies and typically use less than 70% of the cap. The quality of a bluray DVD is far better than a d/l movie and the computer is not hooked up to the TV anyway.

Update Aug 23,07 - Gee, I got a system message asking me if I'd like to update. OK, here goes. Cogeco rocks even harder, 10 MB/s down, 900kb up, at CAD 42.95 /month bundled, with a 60GB monthly bitcap. No complaints here.

Update Oct 17,04 - another speed increase a few months ago to 500 kb/sec down. Yeah !

Update Jun 26,03 - Smooth sailing, and speed up to 300kb/sec down most evenings. Who needs DSL?

Update Nov 6, 02: Smooth sailing, no complaints. Stable and fast. The price increase to $45 /mth did not apply to me as I have a cable/internet package.

Update May 3, 02: D/L speed has increase to 2000 due to hardware upgrades on the Cogeco netwrok. Connection is rock solid, but tech support is wanting and the website still has limited info. This is not a problem for me as I work for an IT company (not Cogeco) but a newbie would be overwhelmed...

I used to live in Toronto and had Sympatico DSL because Rogers@home was not available. Then moved to Burlington where Sympatico DSL was not available at the time (it is now).

Comparing the two, both are very reliable but Cogeco is about 75% faster d/l on average than Bell (actual measured speed 1700/320 cable vs 900/130 Bell). So Cogeco is a better deal. I woudn't switch back to Bell unless Cogeco's speed and reliability turned into Rogers.

member for 13.7 years, 6941 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by pdajunkee See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Great customer service"
Bad "Price, performance, availability"
Overall "Why is it cheaper everywhere else?"

High Speed Internet Pro package (price is reduced because I bundled both internet and phone, price above is internet only)

Advertised speed:
16 MB/s

Over 8 months had internet go down 5 times. Every time it was an issue with my cable modem and it needed to be reset.

Thought about switching to Bell, but the support at Cogeco is fantastic! Answer calls quickly, spend time making sure everything is working and I always get an enthusiastic and happy support person. Not sure what they are feeding them.

Comments:

Review by lolcake See Profile

• Location: Trois-Rivieres,QC
Good "Quite fast in my area, friendly tech and customer care service."
Bad "Got to replace my modem, slow @ peak hours, low bandwidth cap."
Overall "Well, honestly, I think I've got a good service after all"

·Vonage
Update for July 3rd:
-------------------------------------
For the very first time, I reached my 60 GB limit. When I was consulting the Cogeco's self-care, I saw that I have 80 GB available. According to Cogeco's web site, the download speed for the standard package is 12 Mbps and the bandwidth cap is now of 80 GB.

Ah, happy confederation Day!!!
---------------------------
Initial review:
I have the voip and the internet svc since april 2008. It works well, but my old RCA modem had some failures to power up.

Since last week, I'm using the Arris TM602G modem, which is used by Videotron I guess. The tech support is quite efficient. I mean, the tech guy even called me 10 mins before coming home to change the modem. When I call Cogeco, I don't have the feeling to make oversea calls to get service.

I usually get around 10.5 Mbps down / 690 Kbps up, but at peak times, I download as low as 3.5 Mbps. Upload speed is much more stable. And 60 Gbps is not enough imo.

Comments:

Review by spendit See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "its high quality internet, reliable."
Bad "way over priced, teeny tiny bandwidth caps. their 'resellers' make money and offer prices 25% cheaper and 4 times the caps."
Overall "LOCALIZED MONOPOLY intensive coverage areas."

They need to get into reality with the packages they offer. There haven't been speed/data cap upgrades in 5 years, yet my price goes up every year. There are 3rd world countries that offer better packages/faster internet/cheaper prices. I suggest continual monitoring of your line when you pay for their service. Don't be complacent. Hammer them all the time. MAKE SURE THEY DO WHAT THEY SAY THEY WILL!! It took me 4 months before they would admit to congestion in my area. The customer service is the worst I've seen in any industry. You call, and have to give all your data 7 times to get any kind of help. The left hand doesn't seem to know what the right hand is doing EVER!!!!! I moved back to Canada 2 years ago, and had 20/5 from comcast (for 4 years straight WITH NO CAP) for 44.99$ and these fools in Canada think 14/1/60 gig @ 65$ is a totally cool and acceptable package in 2010. They get a rate increase every year, and services never improve. I'm going to the local announced reseller as soon as they get up and running. COGECO is such a joke, pure coporate greed which is RAMPANT in Canada. Canada recently rated utterly pathetic in the world ISP market thanks to Harvard University. For details check out »cyber.law.harvard.edu/newsroom/b···ew_final.

Comments:

Review by suckingcable See Profile

• Location: Milton,ON
Good "none"
Bad "lies, terrible service"
Overall "just plain trash"

Just an absolutely terrible service. 5 years of lies and still waiting for them to "fix" the issue. But of course to fix it you must wait until it fix's itself, then they show up and tell me there's no problem. Had the line from the road replaced, and still the same intermittent problem. It was a server, but not any more, now its the 3 modem crash......and I still wait. Next service call is now a 5 day wait....and to think this is the best I can find....when it works the d/l u/l speeds are good, no complaints there. But thats when it works. I finally had to call head office in Montreal, just to get a new line. Stay away from this company, they have no idea what service is....other then blaming everything on my equipment. Heres an example of what I'm paying for
Speed Test #89892733 by dslreports.com
User: 1737198 @ dslreports.com
User's DNS: cgocable.net
Compared to the average of 235 tests from cgocable.net:
* download is 14% better, upload is 99% worse

Comments:

Review by Farchord See Profile

• Location: Shawinigan,QC
Good "Fast speed, good customer service"
Bad "Very low bitcaps"
Overall "If you're not a heavy downloader, Cogeco's fine"

Switched from Teksavvy as I needed a faster internet overall for work, and the pending UBB decision kinda helped me decide.

The customer service was helpful, they described it the best they could.

The only annoying point is I received a 3 pages bill, that includes credits, and additions, and other credits, and other additions.... in the end the price was normal, but man talk about being complicated....

member for 9.6 years, 2114 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by Lightwave See Profile

• Location: Tilbury, ON
Good "Consistent speeds U/D on Unlimited Business 16/1.5, No caps"
Bad "None yet.. has worked flawlessly and without issues"
Overall "Recommended so long as they keep it up."

Installation was on-time, Tech support has been exceptional so far and consistency of service steady.. No complaints yet.. and very satisfied with my installation.. and so far an excellent value for the $189/m it costs me.

Comments:

Review by btraill See Profile

• Location: Waterdown,ON
Good "Up time - good"
Bad "Throttling sucks!"
Overall "Mediocre service."

The Cogeco Cable that is currently installed at my house is *alright*. It's not bad, but it's not amazing. I have a bunch of computers on the same network. (About 5, not including 2-3 laptops) And we're on one of the business plans, however; we're in a residential area.

They've given us some numbers/limits that seem whack and incorrect. (As we've gone over quite a few times when we weren't aware.)

The up-time is good, the only time it's down is after a big storm (has to be big) or if they're doing maintenance, which isn't often.

Overall, the Cogeco Cable in my area is good. No serious issues here.

Comments:

Review by pnear See Profile

• Location: Milton,ON
Good "Fast connection"
Bad "Low usage caps and continually increasing prices"
Overall "Technically good, comercially belligerent"

·Start Communicat..
I was pinged today by BBR to update my review, and oh so much has changed since my initial glowing review.

Technical Points:
The service has always been speedy for me, consistently achieving advertised speeds. I don't consider them to be stable enough to purchase the phone option, as it still seems common to have half-day outages once or twice a year which is unacceptable for phone.

Commercial Points:
Although happy with the technical service and with the people who provide the service, I chose to cancel my subscription. Cogeco introduced incredibly low caps with high overages, and an odd policy that says they still might disconnect you if they don't like your bandwidth usage. It's simply unacceptable for customers, many time the parents of the primary users, to not have any way to manage or predict the costs. At the same time, pricing continues to rise without showing any added value to the customer. Comercially, Cogeco seems to have seen a major shift in attitude towards their customers which I can only describe as belligerent. Fortunately, there are alternatives.

I can no longer recommend Cogeco as a provider.