Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by xpox See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Stable (at least in my area). UL/DL speed is fast at certain times of day."
Bad "Monthly overages, 1st line very weak, Traffic monitor sys is not correct"
Overall "High priced ISP that is fast but overage charges are high."

Long time customer (10+ years - seen the wave, @home) and have seen better days.

Was with Internet pro speed when my friend told me about the Ultimate 30 package. No word from Cogeco to me regarding this package. I feel like Cogeco just wanted to rip my money from me as long as they could on the internet pro package. I'm not happy with overage charges as well. This is a uneeded and unjust charge to place on customers. This is just a cash grab. Long term customer relationship means nothing.

member for 10.3 years, 218 visits, last login: 4.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by bbarker3 See Profile

• Location: Fort Erie,ON

This has to do with the many posts i have read about slow download, and upload speeds. Last August 09 i did speed checks and indeed was getting 14m down and 1m up. About three months ago my speeds dropped to around 8 or 9m and up about 800kbps. To shorten this up i changed antivirus from AVG free to AVIRA free. My speeds were back to 14.6m and 1m .What i don't understand is i had AVG last August , I don't really care why ,my speed is back. bbarker3.

Comments:

Review by steven1115 See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
Good "Excellent value for the price"
Bad "none right now:)"
Overall "Cogeco now offers Ultimate 30 a much better service than bells fibe internet"

Had cogeco hispeed standard for 2 and half yrs now. very satisfied no problems. Just today upgraded to the new Cogeco Network. Two new services are now offered. Cogeco's Ultimate 30. Download at 30 MBs and upload 2 mbs and a 125 gb cap. I was soo close going to bell when i heard there new fibe service, but cogeco once again beat them. Bell offers the Fibe 16 (16 mbs) for 59.95 a month. Cogeco offers Ultimate 30 for 59.95. See anything similar?? Cogeco is excellent and i will continue to support them.

Comments:

Review by Nighthawk7 See Profile

• Location: Welland,ON
Good "When it works it works great."
Bad "I had lots of problems in Welland for about two years but now it works great. Price is still and issue."
Overall "Well worth it when they fix all the bugs."

Work well for me now that it finally got fixed after two years of hell. I would recommend it. New packages look great.

Comments:

Review by DrunkenClam See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Internet is fast (but capped), Unlimited North American Calling"
Bad "Download/Upload Caps are outrageous (way to low), TOS sent to me by mail says they will charge for overages"
Overall "Bandwidth Caps are dated, and backwards thinking."

I have had cogeco for years. I was a beta tester for when it was the wave, in the Niagara area. One of the first to ever have broadband in Canada. Those days where great, and I could not of been happier with cogeco.

Recently cogeco has been making very poor decisions, and it is affecting everything. Their service is going down hill and the choices of these bandwidth caps, to the customer service going down hill, to the installation of cutting the analog phone lines that run to your house are just horrible.

I have to say I am beyond disappointed with cogeco lately. It seems they want to be a baby rogers then be a great company, that could advance net neutrality rather then kill it.

I recently got a letter in the mail of the "updated" TOS (Terms of Service), saying they can charge for any overages over 60 GB. They have also disconnected my internet twice now for going over my bandwidth usage. This is unacceptable. For years I have been with cogeco and been so happy, and now, I could not be more disappointed with them.

If I download a game like World of Warcraft, after expansion, patches, updates and using the blizzard client (which is bit torrent), I can easily use 30 gb. If I want to use steam and buy Bioshock, I can't I have to wait till next month. Things like downloading movies from Itunes,Steam and the PSN store, can't be done, and have to be monitored. It's ridiculous. What if I am waiting for a plane, and I want to stream movies from my home computer to my laptop at an airport, or what if I am away from my computer but need a large file, I want to FTP it quickly. All these things can not be done without thinking about going over the monthly bandwidth, and cogeco cutting your services. The last thing anyone wants is trying to access their computer remotely, and can't because cogeco has disabled the connection.

Cogeco has to change their greedy ways. Also after all the bandwidth cap issues I have had, I wanted to switch to TekSavvy. I find out that I can't, because Cogeco switched my phone jacks, and I would have to pay to switch them back, (which teksavvy does not do), so now I am stuck.

Cogeco has turned from me happily giving them 175 a month, to me begrudgingly giving them the money. They are going down hill, and they need to change the cap limits, ask people if they want the phone jacks switched and in general it seems they don't want people's business who use their services more then the average person.

It was people like us though that made the network work well back in the 90's and early 2000's (not to mention paying way more then the average person), and now they are turning their backs on us.

I hope cogeco gets it together, and thinks about what they are doing to the customer and how the experience with Cogeco has went from Great to horrible almost over night.

Edit: (March 27th,2010)

I am happy to say, after years of fighting Cogeco I have cost Cogeco more money than they could ever imagine. No I don't fight with them on the phone or write angry letters. What I have done in the past Year and a half was use my circle of influence to make changes. As of now I have helped 5 Condo Boards have a choice other than cogeco.

After being successful in my own building (being a condo committee member), I went to other condo corporations and boards around the area. Most are very receptive to the idea of having more choice for TV and internet in their buildings. Especially when it can be done through existing wiring.

I have helped convince the new builds (like oakpark) to not let Cogeco dominate the market, and am proud to say Bell has run fibre straight to the building now and as such people have been much happier with lower prices, and faster service. It opens up a whole new world, not just bell but all the smaller ISP's out there, that are competing, it gives the resident more choice, and everyone wants to have a choice and make their own decisions.

This can be done by anyone. Even if it's just your neighbor, or your best friend, it all starts at the grass root level. I am proud to say out of the Five buildings I have helped convert, the people in these buildings now have a choice they did not before, with an average of 60 units per building, I am sure I have cost cogeco a lot of lost revenue, and it feels wonderful Hopefully they will see the error in the direction they have taken their company and start treating the customers with respect, but the only way to do that is though competition, which we can all start in our own little way.

I am continuing to set up meetings for other condo corporations and builders such as menkes, to persuade them not to go with cogeco, and the mistakes they would be making and how a customer like myself was treated when I have no choice, and was stuck with cogeco. How that experience made me sour on the building and even so far as property value. I will continue to do so, I hope you will too. As the only way Cogeco will listen is when we start affecting the bottom line, and we can all do that in our own way.

Comments:

Review by mjtiger See Profile

• Location: Stoney Creek,ON
Good "convenience, was ok until now (Caps)"
Bad "Ridiculously low Caps, Unreliable speed promises, very expensive"
Overall "Very Low value for your money...Switching to a new provider after almost 15 years"

Update March 2010: I have officially left Cogeco for my internet needs and found an ISP to suit my needs perfectly..including the amzing customer service I have received so far. As soon as something other than Cogeco or Bell comes into my area...I am gone for my TV also.

I have been a customer of Cogeco for almost 15 years and, until now, I have never been so disgusted with this company. A few days ago, I got a phone call from Cogeco and was threatened, in no uncertain terms, that my internet would be shut down if I did not curb my internet usage! I was enraged! How dare they, after 15 years of being an excellent customer with $200.00 plus bills every month including my cable tv and paying on time or early! If I went over, I have no problem with paying the overage charges but to threaten me with this? (I actually still have a problem with the caps and the overage charges, but I pay my bills). Don't even get me started on the throttling! This is not what I agreed to when I signed up!

So, the last thing that I did with my Cogeco internet was to look for a new ISP who actually appreciates and deserves my hard earned money. As soon as I decide on something else for my cable TV, Cogeco will no longer get my money at all!

Comments:

Review by NomorAnnoyed See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "great 'real' speed"
Bad "you have to really insist to solving an issue"
Overall "when it works. it worth all the money"

New update March 18: After waiting some time, as promised, the node was split and now I'm enjoying a nice and smooth surf. I tested the connection in normally high peaks hours and everything works rock solid. Because I think that all the projects in my area are done, I won't expect any further service disruptions which makes me a long time Coceco customer from now on.

I live in Burlington ON, Appleby & Upper Middle area and I've been a Cogeco customer for four years now. They had their ups and downs but not even close of what they become today. I'm hooked up to the High Speed Standard (14Mbps) but all I get during the whole daytime is up to 2Mbps. In our area, adding two apartments building to their network, created a lot of strain and inconsistence in their service quality. Called CS for several times, checked my connection and everything seemed fine so they had to admit that there is a lot of congestion on their lines. Of course, I've got the same empty promises, that they will solve the issue soon, but no clear due date was given (there are months now).
So STAY AWAY....

Comments:

Review by QuickSurfer See Profile

• Location: Georgetown,ON
Good "None"
Bad "Bandwidth caps"
Overall "Not worth it"

New usage billing the straw that broke the camels back.

UPDATE: Packet loss has gone through the roof at peak hours. Usually from about 5-10pm my connection is unusable.

NOTE: Cogeco is at a 3 year low overall rating on DSLR for a reason.

member for 12.8 years, 832 visits, last login: 2.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by scloutier8 See Profile

• Location: Trois-Rivieres,QC
Good "Stable connexion"
Bad "Could have a better bandwidth caps"

Good ISP offering many options to make sure you have what you're paying for. Good customer service and really efficient when some troubles happens.Docsis 3.0 will permit it to compete with Bell and any other DSL resellers.Good phone line quality without outages of service.

There's no congestion at peak times.

Comments:

Review by toby2 See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "fast, has news server"
Bad "slows during peak times, ubb"
Overall "overall pretty good"

Overall pretty good. Don't like the ubb.