Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by sidewinder74 See Profile

• Location: Freelton,ON
Good "Very Fast"
Bad "Bad Customer relation. Charged $12 for 5G over limit (HiSpLite) after 8 years not going over on HiSpeed."
Overall "Looking for job and new provider"

After loosing my job in March, they offered me HiSpeedLite for $20. with 10 gig cap. Today the called and said I was still getting Hi speed standard and would immediately switch me to Hi speed Lite (10 gig cap). Immediately got an email saying I was over my limit and would charge me $12. Since it was their mistake that I was still on high speed, I was unknowingly up to 15 Gigs. After paying $55 per month for over 7 years, and never going more than half their allowed limit, they will ding me for 5 Gig over the limit. No explaining would change their mind. Why should I pay for their mistakes. I could see it if I was always close to their limit, but that wasn't the case. Nice way to treat a steady customer. They should go after the abusers....

Comments:

Review by boredguy See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "Fast"
Bad "tech support by phone is pretty bad, occasional network problems, torrent upload capped, overages"
Overall "Good company that's gone downhill, switching to DSL"

Been with Cogeco since they first came to St. Catharines. While there had been a small period of time where the connection was very iffy i was very happy with them till about 2 years ago. All of a sudden torrent upload was capped. 6 months after that they started suspending for going over a pretty small cap. Now they're going to start charging for overage. With that i'm switching to Teksavvy.

member for 12.6 years, 4726 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ell See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "Speed"
Bad "Cost and 60GB CAP!!"
Overall "Looking for another ISP!! (can't afford anymore)"

1st. Charging Overages 2nd. Cogeco Raises Rates. I can't afford to see at the end of each

month how much I'm getting charged. Cogeco has a great service but now over priced and with a low 60GB cap and 10mb speed you can hit your 60GB cap very fast. so I think after 9 or 10 years with cogeco it's time to go DSL THANKS!

member for 7.7 years, 298 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Gruesome See Profile

• Location: Milton,ON
Good "Consistently solid Download speeds(Except Torrents)"
Bad "Low Cap and extremely pricey for what you get,"
Overall "Found someone else with 300GB cap for $39.85 , better for needs(edit)"

I've liked Cogeco's service but I always review my spending whether it's Cable my cell or telephone etc. I've found them to be too pricey and their 60 GB Cap can be annoying some months. They never used to bother me with it until recently. What I find confusing is there approach in a world where caps should be rising to provide better access to online media, Caps are now being enforced even more rigidly.
We are now able to stream HD over the Internet, perhaps they find this a threat to their own business model.

The question for Cogeco is an easy one and the same one for all Internet Service providers
The Future is higher bandwidth and higher data volume
How will you meet this demand before someone else lures away your clients
Look at France as an example
Trying TekSavvy now to see if it will meet my needs, $20 cheaper with unlimited download

Gruesome
Review this today and I have finally left Cogeco, the new pricing scheme is nothing short of ludicrous and clear penalty for downloading over your cap.
The future of Internet in Canada looks grim with this kind of vision.
I've lowered my package with Teksavvy to just the basic 200 GB download for 29.95 a month and went with their phone service as well
Teksavvy works well for me but be warned you can only expect 5MB download not the 10 or 16 that Cogeco offers

Comments:

Review by Genstugots See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "its cable internet and phone"
Bad "very bad congestion"
Overall "needs to be fixed asap"

* didn't consider any other options for broadband.

* ordered internet pro and digital phone for about $118 after taxes

*order process went great, but the install was iffy

*RCA voip modem

*ordered 16 meg. connection and get consistantly 1.5-3.0 megs

Comments:

Review by vega509 See Profile

• Location: Welland,ON
Good "fast, when it is working"
Bad "latency, sloooow usenet, very low caps, expensive"
Overall "poor value for the money,"

Between the rate increases, and the unrealistically low bandwidth caps, Cogeco's value is diminishing quickly.

There have been NO SERVICE IMPROVEMENTS, ONLY DEGRADATION AND REDUCTION OF SERVICE over the last 2 rate increases.

Poor business model for customers, great for a short time for shareholders.

I'm stuck until the DSL improves in my area, then it's adios ......

Comments:

Review by dan991199 See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "Speed"
Bad "BW Cap / metered billing"
Overall "look elsewhere until the suits realize they need us customers."

now with metered billing, a crappy isp just got worse.

AS OF JUNE 1/09 SWITCHED TO TEKSAVVY

Comments:

Review by vonSchroeder See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "Great speed, low latency"
Bad "Low bandwidth caps, unreasonable overage charges"
Overall "Not worth it for anyone who wants to make full use of their Internet connection"

·TekSavvy DSL
UPDATE: After 3 years with Cogeco in Hamilton and 8 months at my current location in Kingston, I have left this ISP due to their introduction of low bandwidth caps and the ridiculous overage charges that accompany them. I never went over the caps myself, but the caps and overage charges are so unreasonable, and cannot be justified, that I have left based on principle.

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

I have been a Cogeco High Speed Pro user for 2 1/2 years now. I live in a student house near McMaster University and the pro package has been great for sharing the connection among up to 9 people at times. When I first moved in we had Sympatico DSL but our line was only capable of handling the 1.5 Mbit profile so Cogeco was really the only choice we had. But Cogeco has been great so I would not choose DSL even if our line could support full 5 Mbit.

The install went smoothly from what I remember. I think it was under two weeks from the time the order was placed by phone. The install was done in my bedroom because that is where all the LAN wiring comes together in the house. But the account was in another housemate's name at the time, so I had to stop the tech from setting up the email account and such on my computer. I asked the tech to just leave the modem and all the relevant information and I would handle everything myself. The tech was happy to do this and did not insist on finishing the install.

The setup is an RCA DCM325 modem (never had to replace to modem, knock on wood) --> WRT54Gv4 router running 3-party firmware --> 8-port SMC switch. When there were 9 in the house 6 were wired and 3 were wireless.

When we first signed up pro was 10 Mbit down / 1 Mbit up. Since then it has been upgraded to 16 Mbit down. I think the price has only gone up a few bucks since then, not enough to complain about. Despite being close to McMaster University my speeds have always been good and relatively consistent. Of course like all cable internet it slows down some during peak time after dinner until midnight, but the speed has always remained good enough to be shared by 9 people at all times of the day. Of course the speed never reaches the "up to" speed that is advertised, but it comes close and I am not complaining. Latency has always been great. I use the connection for online gaming daily and latency has always been low with Cogeco.

From what I can remember the connection has only gone down twice from what I can remember. Both times it was for less than 24 hours. The second time occurred recently and was because of some problem that affected the whole neighborhood including tv signal too. A call into tech support that night resulted in an automated message indicating they were aware of the problem that was affecting the neighborhood. It was resolved in a few hours. The lack of any real issues means I cannot comment on Cogeco's tech support.

The only problems I have had with the service concern using bittorrent with Cogeco. Simply put, bittorrent has never worked for me on Cogeco from day one. I have tried changing all my settings but nothing works. Using a VPN however does overcome the problem. It is important to note that other Cogeco customers report they have no problems with bittorrent. So it is unknown why some are affected but other are not. This has been debated ad nauseum in the Cogeco forums here at Broadband Reports so check there if you are concerned about bittorrent on Cogeco. Overall, I have not allowed it to affect my rating because I use bittorrent so infrequently that it is a non issue for me.

member for 9.8 years, 4739 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ReiX896 See Profile

• Location: Fort Erie,ON
Good "Speed"
Overall "Avoid Cogeco until packages provide value or unless its your only alternative for net access"

In honesty, When I first began service through Cogeco I was quite satisfied despite the lack of communication between myself and Cogeco on the procedures of installation. And small amounts of incorrect information provided in pre-sale. But with in the past 8 months the institution of bitcaps and then the evolution to "Usage Billing" has degraded the value and service provided. 60gb/month a year ago was sufficient for myself and the average user but with the innovation of IP based technology Cogeco is stagnant and seems to refuse to provide the user any flexibility.

Comments:

Review by stryke5 See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Reliability"
Bad "The price is a little high for what you get."
Overall "An average ISP."

I've been using Cogeco for over a year and it's been reliable but I find it rather expensive especially with a cap now in place.