Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Frostie See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Fast connection before, next day technician"
Bad "Extremely slow connection, long waiting times on phone, poor management"
Overall "If you're living near McMaster University (Hamilton), stay away"

I have had Cogeco for a few months at my student house. Cogeco was very fast, and we never had a problem until a month ago--we were on the standard high speed package and experienced massive slow down.

We were averaging about 0.2Mbps (both download and upload) during peek hours and only slightly faster during non-peek hours. I called Cogeco and decided to upgrade as we needed to be on the business plan (due to more people in the house) which gave us up to 16Mbps. After the upgrade, we were still experiencing a slow connection--only up to 0.6Mbps. We called Cogeco again and they said they would send a technician the next day to look at the problem.

The technician came to our area and told us that many houses near the university are experiencing slow downs. He did a test himself and informed us that he as well got horrible speeds. In addition, he said that there should have been an alert for the staff that said there is a congestion in the area.

I called back Cogeco and they again insisted that sending a technician would fix the problem. Finally another tech support agent told me they were aware of the problem but said it would not be fixed until the end of the year. I then tried to get reimbursements but they could not give anything. I tried canceling the account and they would not refund the total month. I called back again and they said that they can only offer a $5 a month credit--pretty much $95 a month for dial up speed.

Cogeco was great before but until they fix the problem, I'm sadly going to have to switch to Bell.

Comments:

Review by Hitman05 See Profile

Good "Speed, Reliability, Customer service"
Bad "60Gb cap is acceptable but extremely heavy downloaders may hit it"
Overall "Solid choice for home broadband"

I just moved from the Ottawa area - we had Rogers broadband (their Extreme tier, which was about $57 a month and provided 10mbps). Being that i work from home, making extensive use of a VPN connection, and also play games online, I wanted something reliable and fast with plenty of monthly bandwidth. My options were basically DSL from Bell or another reseller, or Cogeco cable. I'm more comfortable with Cable internet, as I used to work for a "major DSL provider" and I'm aware of all the reliability and speed issues that can occur if you aren't close to the CO. I signed up with Cogeco for the Standard service, as well as cable TV and VOIP home phone from them.

I won't go into detail on the phone or TV; suffice to say that I'm also very happy with both as well. I should mention that because I have more than one service with Cogeco, my Internet bill is cheaper.

The Internet has been absolutely rock-solid so far (I've had it three weeks). My VPN connection to work stays up all day, and the speed is consistently fast. Speed tests show that I'm getting between 8.5 and 9.5mbps, which is about right considering I'm testing against non-Cogeco servers. So, in terms of speed and reliability Cogeco is equal to Rogers, which I never had a problem with.

However, I will say this: Cogeco's customer service has been significantly better than Rogers OR Bell. When I called to ask questions, and also when I signed up, I was given clear answers that matched the information on their website. The agents seemed genuinely friendly and did not sound as though they were reading from a script.

I also tested Bittorrent speed, for those that are interested, and I received up to 250kbps on a well-seeded torrent. That is FAR better than I was able to get on Rogers after they implemented bandwidth shaping (I was getting about 20kbps!). I haven't tested other torrents, so I can't call this a definitive test by any means. Now, I very rarely torrent anything so it doesn't really matter to me, but it's nice to know that I should be able to get somewhat decent speeds (though still far below the maximum bandwidth available on my connection) as more online services move to a torrent-style decentralized download system.

• Location: N7M
Good "Reasonably inexpensive, stable connection"
Bad "Tech support is not too hot for questions requiring a solution beyond \"
Overall "Very slow connections to some of the most popular sites, due to a snarfu between Cogeco and Akamai"

I've been given the run-around by Cogeco technical support for over a week,
and have had my fill of "works for me" and "nothing we can do about it" so
here's the issue:

Certain sites have been loading really slowly, especially at peak times. By
slowly, I mean 5-10 minutes to render a page, but only on certain sites,
like Facebook and CBC. All other sites are fine, and bandwidth is a steady
8M.

The common factor, and this is the truly priceless bit, it that the sites
that are very slow are those hosted on Akamai's EdgeSuite CDN, which are
supposed to be accelerated by being served from servers Akamai has placed
within Cogeco's network.

There are four of these servers, and they all ping fine, but HTTP requests
stall and time out all over the place. My guess is that they are woefully
underpowered for the load placed upon them, or are misconfigured. Cogeco
consistently deny that this is the case.

The problem can be overcome by using an alternative DNS service, like
OpenDNS or DNSAdvantage, so that requests are routed to a different set of
Akamai servers. However, those services don't give proper NXDOMAIN answers,
and don't refuse non-local requests, which then breaks DNS resolution over
Windows VPN connections due to an unpatched bug in Windows XP [kb311218].

Using a centralized DNS system also totally defeats the purpose of Akamai's
CDN, and I need to use VPNs regularly because I'm a sysadmin, so the only
real answer is for Akamai and Cogeco to get their act together. And quickly.

(review was emailed from domain scribendi.com)

Comments:

Review by Albino_Rhino See Profile

• Location: Peterborough,ON
Good "None really"
Bad "Low monthly bandwidth allocation, slow speed, losts of resets, connection throttling, expensive"
Overall "Terrible serivce, but better than the only other option (sympatico) Yay for telecom monopolies!"

Tech support is really the only thing that lets this ISP stand above its rival Bell Sympatico, which isn't hard to do because Sympatico has the most atrocious customer service in the world.

Cogeco seems to be increasing their prices while their service gets worse. Speeds are terrible during the day when the network is overloaded (this is the result of having a less than optimal infrastructure in a densely populated area. When using bittorrent speeds are reduced even further and plagued with connection resets. The only way to get reasonable monthly bandwidth is to spend lots of money for the 100gb/month service (incredibly expensive!)

Latency is terrible during all times of the day/night, playing games online results in lots of lag (something that wasn't experienced with Sympatico)

All-in-all Cogeco is a bottom of the barrel ISP, providing just about the worst service you can get at high prices. Unfortunately the only other option tends to be Bell Sympatico (shudders)

Comments:

Review by simcloute See Profile

• Location: Trois-Rivieres,QC
Good "Really pro installation"
Bad "not find yet"

Really good provider i've been with videotron for the last 3 years and for the same price it's really better and faster with the Broadcom's propane technology!! really efficient customer service and good technician who know what they have to do! i have a RCA dcm-425 whose the most recent modem docsis 2.0 compatible

36,95$/month for the first year and 44,95$ after

10 mbit/s Download
0,6 mbit/s upload

member for 10.2 years, 478 visits, last login: 4.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by MrShag See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "speed"
Bad "cost, customer servicxe, everything else."

I am currently paying 160$ for my 3 way cable,phone,internet. Not too mention that they really messed up my install. My phone was delayed for a month. They refused to give me any reasonable credit.

I am switching to Teksavvy. They are much better . 5megs instead of 10. But 250gB a month cap, vs cogecos 60.

Teks basic phone starts at 20$ a month. So with the phone and net switch I will be paying almost as much for both as  I am for the internet alone.

There is no mid-point tier. I think that if there was a 5 meg for 20$ people would pay for it.
The only advantage to the digital phone is that if you use long distance, then it i free for the continent.

But you can always get a calling card somewhere and save decently.

member for 8.3 years, 1433 visits, last login: 1.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by Adam20 See Profile

• Location: Sarnia,ON
Good "Great Ping Times"
Bad "Only Thing Tech Does Is Send Out Technician.. Took 3 weeks to get set up correctly"
Overall "Could be worse"

I have updated the review pts.

Our connection has not gone down unless I have been tinkering with it.

I am having issues with my dlink DIR-625 as my Nintendo Wii will not connect wirelessly, and is giving me errors stating its the firewall on the router.

Am in dire need to get this working!

******UPDATE DECEMBER 1st 07********

I believe the node we are on is way overloaded, speed has dropped terribly, still on pro package and now getting the following speed 2408/908

Also ability to watch streaming videos is non existent, takes forever to load. Also buffering is every 2 seconds.

Cogeco has gone down in their support, and service,

******************************************************************************************

Overall i am satisfied with Cogeco. the speed is much faster then my DSL connection but can also fluctuate and be more unstable at times especially when i have it on more then one computer.. It took a while to get up and running perfect (3 weeks) but once it did I am flying!!!!!

I just wish the technical support had more trouble shooting them sending out a technician, that is very annoying and time consuming as someone has to be home.. Don't get me wrong, the technicians are AMAZING and all of Cogeco's employees have been very polite and curteous.

Comments:

Review by wycito See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Reliable"
Bad "pricy"
Overall "still ok"

Cogeco is really good, the fastest and more reliable ever

Comments:

Review by Feets See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Consistently great speed, amazing uptime."
Bad "Low bit cap, but not enforced."
Overall "The best broadband ISP I've had."

Note: I am no longer a Cogeco customer. I moved out of their service area in 2006. ( was a customer from 2001-2006 and this review reflects the service I received from them during that time.

------

Cogeco's a fine ISP. Having previously used 2 other high speed providers in other parts of the country, Cogeco is unmatched as far as uptime and consistent speed go.

Recently switched to the "Business Starter" package to gain the ability to run servers, including a private mail server with .ca domain. Costs me only a few extra dollars a month, and the switch-over was pretty painless. The service is, as always, precisely as advertised.

The bit cap issue is a bit strange. I realize that they don't want to make it a hard and fast limit, but the limit is so low compared to other ISPs it hardly even makes sense to publish it if it's not going to be enforced.

Comments:

Review by zedsdead See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Still fast, everything just works"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Stable, quick and phone works great"

Update - June 21st 2008

For the past 9 months I had Bell DSL while I was with a different employer. It would almost seem fate brought me back to working for Cogeco again so I have all of their services again. Install (which was needed this time) was painless as the previous connections were still present. The port of my Bell phone number went seamlessly and the cable TV...well I had that all along so no change other than more channels now. Speed is 10Mbit down and 640kbps up pretty much all the time. No complaints.

Update - January 25 / 2002

Well all i can say is after 2 years of having the service it's only gotten better. When i moved to my current location i installed it myself (I work for them now) so there was no wait this time =) My speeds now are 2500kbps downstream and 512kbps upstream. I really wouldn't consider anything else other than cable if you live in Windsor (and i'm not just saying that). The wait times for technical support if you ever need to call seem to have improved....some. All in all still a great service, e-mail is much more reliable since Cogeco dropped @Home, news service still leaves much to be desired as far as binaries groups go, but that's what Giganews is for =)

Original Review:

I've had Cogeco@Home in 3 different locations and every time have been
pleased with the service. When Cogeco first came to Windsor they had some
reliability problems due to upgrades throughout the city, but since then
it's been great. I recommend it to all my friends and none of them has ever
told me they weren't pleased. The speed is rated at 2.2Mbps down and 384Kbps
up and from fast sites i'm always bouncing against the cap. The only
downside is the service is a little pricey but i can live with that.
Currently i have the Samsung modem and i know Cogeco is now using Com21's
but there is no difference in speed. All in all i love the service =)

member for 14.1 years, 1412 visits, last login: 4.6 years ago