Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by athome5 See Profile

• Location: Belleville,ON
Good "customer support - has a clue, smokin speeds up to 15 / 1 Mb"
Bad "same as with most ISP's but Cogeco is better than all the rest I've dealt with"
Overall "Cogeco rocks, especially compared to all the others"

You can't help but learn to hate Bell and Rogers the more you have to deal with them. Cogeco customer service far surpasses the aforementioned.

Comments:

Review by Techniqs See Profile

• Location: Huntsville,ON
Good "Caps ruin what otherwise would be a good service"
Bad "Bandwidth caps are horrible"
Overall "Avoid if you watch a lot of videos (youtube) and download a lot."

I have been with Cogeco for a long time in my area but in the last year, they've gone from unlimited to crappy bandwidth caps. For where I live my cap is 100GB and that's nowhere near enough with the size of content like videos, media and games on the web increasing (i.e. videos 100's of megabytes).

Comments:

Review by mv32 See Profile

Good "Fast reliable speeds"
Bad "Capped service, a mere 60GBs for standard,"
Overall "They were cutting edge, many years ago, now they are antiquated"

I've been with Cogeco Internet (for about 13 years give or take a year. Seen some of the highs and some of the lows. The recent capping, TOS or not, is ludicrous, and made me use the cap up instead of use whatever I would (usually less, but random non the less). I am cancelling services in the next few days and am happy about my decision, as I will not ever be liable for going over a limit when it has always been unlimited (within reason of course).

I have also recently received a notice of increase that just makes me feel like I am a valued customer LOL. Unbelievable. If I was a new customer, I might get a few months free or a cheaper monthly rate just to get me sucked in, but gawsh dang, the loyal customers get spanked for paying all these years. Anyway, it's fine, I feel relieved that this is the way major monopolastic companies act today, and will happily move along.

In fact, this isn't the only major corp. I'm splitting from, it's just the beginning. The day I see value and honesty by a seller is the day I'll deal with them. I may be an old school business model appreciater, but it is the only model that works for me today.

PS, please do not solicit or rebutt me to upgrade to any new "specially priced" packages, and do not offer me a rebate or better deal, because it's just too late, after all!

mv36

Comments:

Review by mtape See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "Good Speed 75% of the time, Not Bell"
Bad "Sometimes has slow downs at night"
Overall "Was going to try DSL and Came back to Cogeco"

I've been with Cogeco for over 3.5 years now. Tried to switch to DSL but with Bell little monopoly up here in Canada they own all the copper, so they have to do all the work / service. So I hook back up with Cable. Now my speed test are a little lower even being told that I would see the same if not faster from my new house (which all new Cable) vs the apartment (which needs to have the cable upgraded years ago). So I’m working with tech support to get the problem fixed. At this time I am get 2168 / 540 where at the App I was getting 9643 / 635. So I’ll be happy to get that speed back soon.

I’ll update once I get know more.

Comments:

Review by drawmada See Profile

• Location: Salaberry-De-Valleyfield,QC
Good "Speed reliability"
Bad "ummmm none?"
Overall "It just works!"

Ordered Standard which has a max line speed of 10 mbps ... This is not the first time we have Cogeco ... and once again with the RCA DCM425 we are enjoying the experience! Never again will we switch over to "save" a few bucks!

Comments:

Review by dukixtreme See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON

Hello, my name is Duki, and I am reviewing cogeco cable,the bad point is we have cogeco pro and I usually get 900's upload on speedtest but now when i check its around 700's and 800's I want to know why cause this is really bugging me. And you know how they say play online games all you want well I eventually get cut off for it but my friends who live in toronto use rogers (with only 60 GB) and they play just about as much as me and they never get cut off.

Comments:

Review by YouKnowMe6 See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "Reliable Speed!"
Bad "None!"
Overall "Great Service!"

High Speed, and i get it. Voip is clear and reliable.

Comments:

Review by bmonk See Profile

• Location: Belleville,ON
Good "Always up"
Bad "Price, Tech Support focuses on what they don't support rather than what they do."
Overall "If you can afford it then it's not bad"

I origionally ordered the regular package but kept getting the bandwidth utilization warnings.

So I upgraded to the Pro package and am still getting bandwidth warnings.

When you call tech support they basically say that they don't support anything on thier IVR before you even talk to someone, This is not what customers want to hear.

As with any Cogeco customer I got the RCA/Thompson modems.

I am also using the Voip through them and was satisfied as to the quality of the lines. I noticed that the fax worked well which we all know that VOIP has issues with.

All and all the service is great when I am not getting bandwidth warnings. but for the price I am paying I should be able to get more bandwidth.

Comments:

Review by jsmaster See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Speed ( 12mbits on peak hours ) No throttling detected but it's not very important"
Bad "Invoicing"
Overall "reliable speed, good tech service"

March 18, 2008

A technician rang at my door to put cables in my appartement. the total time of his work was about 150 minutes. He took the time to check if the signal was ok.

The first time, he tried with a cable that was already there. The signal was not famous and took the time to put a new cable in a new slot. The signal was perfect then.

Speedtest time : 13mbits at 18:00 ^^ great

Ping time is also great. Between 24 and 54 ms. =)

Comments:

Review by Abattoir See Profile

• Location: Gananoque,ON
Good "Their website was ok"
Bad "Horrible reliability, service, billing, and support"
Overall "Worst ISP ever"

My cable connection would go out for days at a time, particularly in the winter. I called Cogeco on a weekly basis, or more. Every time, I would have to start off trying to get past the same stupid rookie questions, and try (unsuccessfully) to get elevated to the proper people.

After a year of complaints, they sent a technician who found nothing wrong. 6 months later, a technician came again, discovered the signal quality was very poor, and installed a booster. My connection went from unacceptable to unreliable. 6 months later, they fixed the problem but didn't remove the booster - my connection was out for a week this time.

I was promised 2 weeks of credit for all my headaches. I was promised it for 4 months until it was actually delivered.