Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by TBD2Day See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Reliable services, great support"
Bad "Bandwidth caps"
Overall "Quality service, no personal issues"

When my installation for another ISP did not go through properly, we were without phone, internet or satelite for over a week at our new home. We decided to go with Cogeco. They were promt, efficient, and I have not had a single issue with their service since, save one outage which lasted me an hour. The only thing I have to monitor is how much I download, which is understandable, but the price has always been on par with other providers in the area and the information I was given with regards to me service has always been relatively clear. I've had Cogeco for about two years now, 1 year of which I was simply a customer, and had no afiliation with Cogeco.

Comments:

Review by mathd See Profile

• Location: canada
Good "fast download"
Bad "bad ping for gaming"
Overall "never fixed anything after years"

we never had problem with them in past but since a years or 2 the ping for online gaming just started to go bad and never went back to lower.

we use our internet mostly for gaming and it is impossible to because of too much lag with this internet.
and except the ping there isnt much bandwich and upload is bad with sometime packet loss in the line.

the only good point is there is rarly any connection loss and it download fast for http ftp and other stuff..

Comments:

Review by BSH_05 See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "Consistant for 6+ years, newsgroup access, helpful tech support"
Bad "Peak times can slow speeds"
Overall "Recommended"

Always been treated well as a customer of Cogeco cable internet and digital cable. Recently had a problem with regards to very slow speeds (attributed to an old cable modem) which was rectified quickly.

Newsgroup access an added bonus, suitable for my household's moderate downloading habits (I've read about download caps at DSLReports but have yet to witness them firsthand)

Put the service through its paces over the years with online gaming, downloading, and streaming content, and I would recommend it to others.

member for 8.4 years, 1191 visits, last login: 4.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by diskdocx See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Incredibly stable connection, extremely fast"
Bad "Restrictive Bitcaps, very limited package choices, no residential upgrade options"
Overall "Until Cogeco implements more flexible residential tiers, I would not recommend them to anyone other than light users"

Have been with Cogeco HSI ever since we moved into our house 6 years ago. Upgraded to Pro package 2 years ago.

Connection has always been reliable, and very fast. We had one outage, related to damage to the outside cable to the house. Did take some teeth pulling to get it replaced, and then the line was never buried. Eventually it got damaged, and getting that fixed was a challenge.

Of late, customer service has been much better, and for that I have to applaud Cogeco.

Unfortunately, the recent hard caps have been an unwelcome policy. I'm not an excessive user, and rarely use P2P (most of them don't work on this network anyway), but with the increase in available on-line media, I am finding my usage increasing. As my children age, I am sure that demand will continue to go up.

I am extremely disappointed that Cogeco has implemented these caps without offering any options to customers wanting higher tiered packages. I would gladly pay for what I use, but currently the only option is to get cut off when you hit your cap, or subscribe to a business plan, losing all your email addresses in the process. Neither of these are suitable to most customers, so I can only assume the hidden agenda is to remove heavy users from the network.

Until Cogeco implements more flexible residential tiers, I would not recommend them to anyone other than light users.

member for 9.5 years, 1839 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by trentradio See Profile

• Location: Peterborough,ON
Good "Solid & Ever-faster Up & Down Link Speeds"
Bad "Hosting Services sketchy"

Looked at Bell & Nexicom, but they are not great for uploaders.
Using SOHO $90/mn, Good communications re: installation
Cogeco treats its business customers very well, while residential services are not as well supported.

Comments:

Review by papooter See Profile

• Location: Stoney Creek,ON
Good "fast"
Bad "60GB cap,"
Overall "if you just need e-mail and to surf the web this is perfect, otherwise STAY AWAY!"

Been with cogeco for 7yrs. It took them 6 tries and 3 weeks to send someone to finally hook up my cable. (The appointments were always made but nobody showed up).

Cogeco keeps working backwards by reducing your cap and raising your price constantly!! pay more more more for even less. This is the new age, we have streamed music, movies, free HD streaming. You reach 60GB in a flash, then they disconnect you and BAM no more service for the month. Cogeco's only strong point is its fast speed. I get about 1MB/sec download. What is the point though when you can't even access the Internet? They give you a ferrari then tell you to drive on a dirt road. I'd rather drive a yugo on the autobahn.

Comments:

Review by MiltonNight See Profile

• Location: L9T
Good "Good uptime"
Bad "Extremely low Cap"
Overall "Pricey Given low Cap but may meet general needs/may need to try someone else"

I'm new to Cogeco, speed is good meets my needs. Considered DSL my look into it given Cogeco's price and low Cap 60GB for my package
Order and install process was excellent no problems at all

Comments:

Review by bjantzi See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
Good "High speed internet is fast when it works, Changing to RCA from Samsung modem seems to have resolved problem."
Bad "Samsung stalls and takes many minutes to unfreeze, has been virtually dead for 5 days."
Overall "Changed Samsung to RCA Modem & issue seems resolved! RCA is 3853/615 vs Samsung died to <600 kbps/99 kbps past 5 days.TKS Cogeco"

HAPPY CAMPER NOW!!!

Thank you everyone! (especially help1234@cogeco.com for how to do). Changing from the Samsung to the RCA high speed cable modem moved the speed up to 3853/615. People at the Cogeco storefront at Oakville Place were very helpful too. Fabulous!
Thanks again everyone, & Cogeco! This seems to have resolved my problem.
Looks like the Samsung was starting to die.
Current time: December 10, 2007 5:53 pm EST. L6L 3L3

new speed: 3853/615 ! yay!
»/im/41572392/3 ··· 0495.png

UNHAPPY CAMPER HERE. High speed internet is fast when it works, but it has suddenly started freezing mid-transmission whether upload or download... net result is performance far worse than dial-up. It IS DEAD. DSLreports demonstrates this... look it up. Past 3-4 days has been worse Internet performance than in 1996 when I had dial-up with Netcom. Cogeco... you must do better. Is there a node problem in our neighbourhood... something jamming up? Please get it cleared. I have made no software changes in weeks. What happened 3-4 days ago to Cogeco high speed internet service? It just DIED. Current date time: Dec.8,2007 10:58 pm EST. L6L 3L3

LOOK: »/im/41468443/7 ··· 8287.png
next day, Dec.9,2007 2:05 pm EST: it gets even worse: »/im/41499712/8 ··· 6188.png
it slowed down even more to: 126/56....???

Comments:

Review by default0task See Profile

• Location: Niagara
Good "Great Speed"
Bad "Caps"
Overall "Best service in the area"

·TekSavvy Cable
Love the speed and extra email accounts.
The web space could use a few add-ons.

2004-09-09 05:16:50 EST: 9172 / 935
Your download speed : 9392336 bps, or 9172 kbps.
A 1146.5 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 957625 bps, or 935 kbps.

Comments:

Review by Last Parade See Profile

• Location: Fort Erie,ON
Good "Excellent onsite techs, stable connection"
Bad "Slow at peak times"
Overall "The most cost-effective, fastest Internet available... if you don't use it too much"

Things are starting to slow down in the evenings during peak times, even after a node split. May consider switching if the cost to performance ratio drops below an acceptable level.

Edit: Have now switched to a DSL provider after going way over the cap. Beware of Cogeco trying to enforce a 30-day-notice policy if you ever cancel.