Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by racer123 See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "Speeds"
Bad "late night stability (down time), Monthly usage cap"
Overall "worth the money for the speed, but the monthly cap too low."

The service is quite good. Speeds are great, upload and download are both very respectable.

However, we have noticed down times late at night, usually after midnight, which can last hours. This is fairly random. Hasn't happened in a week or so now.

Monthly cap is too low in my opinion. Coming from a DSL unlimited account to this restricted Cable, it is difficult as a consumer.

The monthly cap does not step equally with the levels of speed, so you get more speed on the higher packages, but not an equal increase in the monthly cap, so you are often close to the limit or over at the end of a month, if you utilize the speed and are a steady user on the internet.

Comments:
rudeboy24

join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON

Usage Cap

go with www.start.ca if you want a higher cap

Review by rudeboy24 See Profile

• Location: Welland, ON
Good "Connection Reliability is not bad"
Bad "Price is high and usage cap is low"
Overall "there are better options out there"

·Start Communicat..
$70 for 14 Megabit speed and 80 GB cap ....go with www.start.ca you will pay less and get more

member for 12.2 years, 2949 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Gixxer See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "Speed, Ping, 550+ Day Binary Access"
Bad "Thottle, Cap, Usage Billing, Monopoly, Billing Issues, Scammers, No Retention, Expensive, Poor HD, New Price Hikes, Congestion"
Overall "Stay Away Unless Your Only Option Consists Of Decaying Bell Lines, Cogeco Is Bell Of The Cable World"

07/11/2012 ***NO LONGER WITH THIS COMPANY***

Because my old review was removed by "accident" and cannot be retrieved I'm going to make this quick.

See Good points
See Bad points
See Bottom line
See »Canadian ISPs (Almost) Come Clean On Throttling
See »Usage Billing
See »Cogeco: Metered Billing 'Not About Making Money' They Insult Us
See »Cogeco Raises Rates After Charging Overages
See »Cogeco Metered Billing Goes Live, Confuses Customers Broken Meter!
See »Cogeco Tells Us They're Working On Meter Problems...
See »Comcast Usage Meter Still A No Show
See »Cogeco Still Struggling With Accurate Meters?
See »Cogeco Starts Charging For Overages
See »Cogeco User Socked With Thousands in Overages

Enjoy.

31/01/2010
Internet in my area is very unstable/congested from about 9PM - 11PM, evidence can be found in this thread. »Peak hour speed problems, POST HERE

28/03/2010
Cogeco introduces new tier, still expensive, with a low cap and very high overages. Waste of money.

Comments:

Review by dwane See Profile

• Location: Pembroke,ON
Good "Nice speeds, solid connection"
Bad "Draconian Bandwidth Caps"
Overall "Good Cable internet + It's NOT BELL!!"

I got sick of crippling lag, horrible customer service and being slaved to a 5 Meg connection with Bell. After 3 years of awful service I decided to go with Cogeco. They were offering almost 5x the speeds for around the same price, albiet with about 2/3 the monthly bandwidth cap I had with Bell. (80GB/mo vs. 120GB/mo with Bell.) See review HERE: »Review of Bell Sympatico by dwane

I ordered their Turbo 14 package, because it was the best available where I live.

14mb down/ 1 mb up/ 80GB/mo bandwidth usage for $61.

Order process was great, spoke to a real live Canadian girl from Canada.

The install process was very efficient and smooth, the installer (also a female) installed a new line from the outdoor box into my house. She did a nice neat install, she had just forgotten her staple gun to secure the cable around the perimiter of the room and told me she'd be back in after a week to secure it as she would be away from work for a week. It's not in my way anywhere so I said fine. The next day the outdoor cable burying detail came while i was at work and sunk the outdoor portion of the line. You'd never know it was there.

I have an RCA Modem DCM45.

I'm running it thru a Linksys E3200.

The whole process has been painless. They don't have contracts, tradiitonal month to month billing.

My only complaint, as above, is value for money when it comes to monthly bandwidth caps. They just increased them recently from 60GB to 80GB, which, IMHO is laughable on a 14 MEG connection.

Otherwise, I'd say it's been an overall good experience, especially knowing Bell isn't getting anymore of my money once the dust settles.

--UPDATE NOV 2012: Left Cogeco for Start. The monthly bandwidth caps with Cogeco for 80GB a month had me paying an extra $50 a month just in overages.

I switched to Start Communications and I'm not looking back.

I'm getting twice as fast internet for 50 bucks a month with 300GB cap with Start.

Comments:

Review by telcom See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "good speed and technically excelent"
Bad "rediculously high price and low cap"
Overall "i am moving to start communications"

Good speed and technically excellent.
Ridiculously high price and low cap.
I am moving to Start Communications.

Comments:

Review by Yllzarith See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Reliable, competitive pricing, fast inet, free long distance phone"
Bad "Overworked service technicians"
Overall "Every day at work I see many very talented people working hard for our customers"

UPDATE (29/10/2012)
I still work for Cogeco and I could still be considered a biased reviewer of the services. I'll just provide some facts:

Information on services and the company is available @ »www.cogeco.ca
Cogeco forum here on DSLReports: »Cogeco

member for 12.5 years, 1798 visits, last login: 217 days ago

Comments:

Review by hickins See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "fast and reliable connection"
Bad "expensive"
Overall "good service but expensive"

·Distributel Cable
·Acanac
I've been with Cogeco since I moved to Burlington for about 1 year now, and this month I noticed an increase in my monthly bill from 88 to 99, I called customer support and they told me that I was on promotion for 12 months and now it is over, so I am paying regular price now. At this point I asked them whether I can negotiate this price as I could easily find competitive prices around, their answer was NO!! and told me that I can cancel if I wish!!

Of course with such an attitude, I told her that I'll be seriously looking for another offer and I'll call you back to cancel very soon, and she answered that that is ok and that I can call to cancel at any time!!

She made me feel like I was so worthless and I meant nothing to Cogeco and I have no interest in staying with them.

Update: I deleted a part where I mentioned that I will move with Acanac, for the reason that I changed my mind because Acanac can't keep my phone number and I'm looking for company that provides phone and internet and I can keep my number....still looking....

Update: I gave another call to cogeco, and I told them again about the billing problem, this time the rep was very nice, and she extended the offer to another 12 months, but she said I have to pay full price for at least 6 months after in order to give me another promotion!! I stayed only for the reason that i didn't find a provider that gives around 10Mbps and a phone service at the same time.

Now I'm having another problem, I subscribed to a internet tv provider , and I'm over my bandwidth limit by 6Gigs and I'm still on 23rd day of the month!! I don't know what to do? I'm thinking of getting a separate acanac dsl only for that damn internet tv thing, it costs less than paying bandwidth overage to Cogeco!!!

-----------

After I've been seriously thinking to switch to Acanac to Save money and get rid of the bandwidth caps, but I did stay with them after all, for the reason that I don't have time to switch and the fact that I need a reliable connection, and I had a previous experience with Acanac in my previous address and the speed sucked big time.

overall, yes I'm happy with the service, but definitely not with what they charge.

------------------

It looks like Cogeco listened to what we say!! I called in to cancel my service and they tried to keep me and they offered me discounts and I took it. I'm happy that they care to keep customers....

Comments:

Review by waynecbaker See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "A reliable connection with steady download speeds"
Bad "A data transfer cap of 80 gigabytes per month"
Overall "A reasonable choice if you don't need unlimited data transfer"

I have the Turbo 14 package from Cogeco Cable for my Internet access.

When I ordered the service, I was contacted by a customer service representative concerning any questions I might have had about the service. About 5 days later, I had a service technician install the cable modem and connection to the cable system.

I have a reliable connection with a consistent download speed of 14 megabytes per second with few if any slowdowns. The e-mail service is also dependable with a storage allowance of 100 megabytes for the main e-mail account.

The only thing you may want to consider is the data transfer allowance, or cap, of 80 gigabytes per month for both downloaded and uploaded data combined. Most general purpose users probably wouldn't have difficulty staying within this allowance, but heavier users might. Such users may want to consider a digital subscriber line (DSL) service that has no data transfer caps.

With my television, Internet and telephone service bundle from Cogeco, I get a $12 monthly discount off the usual price of $62 a month.

member for 12.4 years, 2538 visits, last login: 135 days ago

Comments:

Review by LUF See Profile

• Location: Chicoutimi,QC

This is such an old review... Why can't I delete it?

Comments:

Review by Cho Baka See Profile

• Location: there
Good "Consistant speed"
Bad "P2P Speed issues"
Overall "Good deal- n/c modem rental"

·TekSavvy DSL