Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Cho Baka See Profile

• Location: there
Good "Consistant speed"
Bad "P2P Speed issues"
Overall "Good deal- n/c modem rental"

·TekSavvy DSL
Expensive overages.
Packet loss.

member for 14.3 years, 6739 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dailyplanet See Profile

• Location: Cobourg,ON
Good "Connection has been consistently fast"
Bad "Pricing could be better"
Overall "TV Sucks, but phone and internet are pretty good"

The consistency and speed have been very good, but technical support isn't the best (they don't seem to like to report outages).

Also, paying a fairly chunky bundle price for Digital/HD TV, Internt and Phone but I'd imagine that it would be the same for Bell (although Bell doesn't offer Fibe TV here so it's academic)

Comments:

Review by MrPink See Profile

• Location: Peterborough,ON
Good "reliable, fast (14000down/1000up) with excellent support"
Bad "expensive, caps are my biggest complaint..."
Overall "meh - big bucks satisfactory product, the caps blow, looking at nexicom now."

internet - standard residential internet package

tv - all available channels + tmn

1 - hd pvrs'

1 - sd boxes

1 - phone - voip

member for 11.6 years, 2618 visits, last login: 1.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by N0_Nam3 See Profile

• Location: Leamington,ON
Good "its internet"
Bad "its from cogeco"
Overall "either this or dsl"

well being in Canada there isn't much to get. you either deal with bell or cogeco in my area or teksavvy dsl sadly ive heard that cogeco wont allow tek to use their lines to provide people with cable in my area quite sad so again it comes down to bell who charges like crazy or cogeco both have unrealistic caps for what todays users wish to do on the internet. recently there was a problem in my area several calls were made to try to fix this issue when the tech came out i was shocked to hear that there was a congestion issue going on in my area and that a ticket was open with it but yet when i had called about slow speeds none of the reps had even mentioned such an issue. all in all its either cogeco or bell.

*Update*

so I have had node issues since January have had to deal with less then dsl speeds since then and to this very day 8/15/2012 I still deal with less then dsl speeds 2mbs down all day. over all id honestly say go for DSL this company clearly does no give a fuck about its customers what so ever and are more then happy to charge you what they want for the service they feel like giving you. horrid ISP

member for 12.7 years, 3298 visits, last login: 159 days ago

Comments:

Review by InariTheFox See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Consistent speeds, generally friendly staff"
Bad "Horrible moving between cities"
Overall "Better than DSL, but no really business quality"

Speeds are reasonable, 10/1 for $100 a month isn't too bad as far as business pricing goes. The speeds are usually spot on, if not sometimes a tad better.

Serious issue when I moved in, moving from Oakville to Hamilton, that included having to deal with collections for months because they couldn't switch over the accounts correctly. Devices were not moved, and thus incurring charges on an account that was supposedly closed. Because of this, caused loss of service.

As of late, there have been frequent outages at night, lasting for hours on end, without no prior warning. Being a business account, I should be notified ahead of time when work is being done on the node, but even something so simple as an email is apparently not possible. This is a serious headache as I host my business off the service.

No SLA. No Access to Detailed Terms on accounts, everything is generic and you have to hunt to no end to find it. The business terms are basically a retitled consumer contract.

Solid company, but they used to be so much better when they actually cared for the customer. Apparently that decade is gone.

Comments:

Review by gramps2eight See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "no dropped connections and speed is good for Canada"

Cogeco has been very good for services and help when needed, My connection is stable with just three connection drops since last July. This is great since my last ISP could'nt keep the connection up for more than fifteen minutes and could not repair it. Had field reps out four times and they could not find the problem let alone fix it.

• Location: L6H5N
Bad "Service, available plans, speed, accounting"

Terrible everything (speed/customer service/bandwith measurement).. Stay
away if at all possible. I am switching to Start.ca. have heard great things.

(review was emailed from domain live.com)

Comments:

Review by Lynn0 See Profile

• Location: Trenton,ON
Good "good service"

We signed up for Cogeco about three months ago. The service has been good and I have only had to call the sales team once for information. Reps are friendly and seem to be well trained. They have no problems answering any of my questions. Signal strength is great and have not experienced any down time so far.
I never give a perfect score as there is always place for improvement but I will say I have had no problems with them and are very happy with their service.

Update to this review.

Service is still good and staff is fantastic. If you have questions they are more than willing to help you out. You want good service go with Cogeco..

Comments:

Review by khronlk See Profile

• Location: Sarnia,ON
Good "Decent Speeds, Fairly Stable Connection."
Bad "Low Caps, Pricey, Sometimes Congestion."
Overall "Bad for heavy internet users, Decent for light users."

UPDATE: I ended up going back to Cogeco after my DSL connection had suffered congestion as well, I picked up the Business Starter package so I would not have to worry about tiny caps. Basically you pay a lot for a little and not have to worry about paying more on top for going over your cap. The connection was solid again with no congestion but it is expensive, this is the best I can do for the time being in my city.

I started out with a 'lite' package, it was good for me at the time but a year later they started enforcing insanely low bandwidth caps and I needed more bandwidth so I upgraded to a faster package with more download cap. Very soon after they bumped the speeds of the packages up a bit which must of caused the node to badly congest up because I was receiving slower download speeds then before the package upgrade with packet loss and brutal pings.

I called tech support numerous times about speed problems and after many calls of the "unplug your modem and plug it back in" to try and fix it they finally had told me there was congestion in my area and would be fixed in a months time, they also sent out a tech as well to check my line and make sure it wasn't anything on my end which was nice but the tech said my line was just fine and that there was nothing he or any other tech could do because my area was heavily congested and I would have to wait until they came and split the node. After a month with no fix I called back, this tech said it would be 2 more months until my node would be split and then I would see a vast improvement in my speeds, they sent out another tech to check my lines which resulted in deja vu. So after 2 more months had passed and things had just continued to get worse I called back again, this tech said it would be another 3 more months till there was a node split in my area. I waited out the 3 more months with no offer of any discount for less then 20% of the speed advertised and again there was no fix after the 3 months, by then I gave up and started looking for alternative ISP's.

Cogeco used to be the superior internet to have with high speeds, good tech support and good value but lately they seem to have taken a page out of Bell's book and rip off their customers by squeezing every cent out of them they can with these low caps and over priced overage fees. Getting them to actually fix a problem now seems like pulling teeth as well, just take a look at the decline in ratings for Cogeco from 2 years ago.. it speaks volumes.

Comments:

Review by Comfrtbly See Profile

• Location: Peterborough,ON
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Worst run ISP that I have had the displeasure of doing business with."

·Start Communicat..