Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!

Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by PETN Monkey See Profile

• Location: Sarnia,ON
Good "One of the fastest in Canada (Doesn't say much.) Decent service, quite reliable."
Bad "They advertise a 10-lane highway w/ no speed limit but don't inform you the car will stall half way there."
Overall "Used to be a decent provider, easily one of the top in Canada. Still is if all you do is check the weather report."

The summary above says it all, really.

Cogeco has the potential to go one of two ways. They can embrace the power-users - the ones who typically know computers inside and out... the ones who recommend ISPs to their friends, family, colleagues... the ones who make informed business decisions for themselves and clients as to which ISP to choose.

Or they can keep doing what they're doing. What's next? Port blocking? 21, 25, 1724, 5060?

If Cogeco wants a network consisting of e-mail users and those who check their lottery numbers online, then fine - advertise that. Don't, however, have a 10+ year history of telling your most loyal customers that they can do whatever they please short of hosting "The Library of Congress" online, and then simply decide one day that these people are evil and must be stopped at all costs.

Cogeco: You did not communicate with your customers and advise them of a change in corporate policy. As such, you have greatly offended me and many other long-standing customers.

Aug 2011 edit: Well, Cogeco has officially decided how it wants to treat its Canadian customers. I thought the points in my review above were bad enough - it has gotten much worse. The short version is that Cogeco believes it is now a phone company and can treat its customers in such a way.

Cogeco made a very bad investment in Portuguese telco Cabovisão. Since they are losing money hand over fist, Cogeco is jacking up prices here in Canada to compensate. The latest round of price hikes saw my cable TV increase by $2/mo, my grandfathered HDTV package increase $3/mo, my phone service increase by $2/mo and my Internet service increase by $4/mo. With taxes, that's $12.43/mo and that's just this round of increases.

Cogeco, of course, sent out letters saying how exciting all these changes are and how much better the service is because of them. No more. I put up an antenna and cut off the cable TV. I purchased a Linksys PAP2T for $50 and signed up for VoIP through »www.freephoneline.ca and cut off my Cogeco phone. (Kept my same number, now have a $0/mo phone bill and the home phone works just like before - seriously, check it out.) The only Cogeco product I have now is Internet service and I'll be cutting that off as soon as TPIA (Teksavvy) becomes available in my area. I realise Cogeco will get a chunk of my monthly payment to Teksavvy but it'll be less than being directly with Cogeco.

$125/mo is what Cogeco is losing out on now from just me. I'm not going out of my way to badmouth them but I tell anyone who asks about OTA antenna HDTV and VoIP. I've helped three people set up VoIP so far and they couldn't be happier.

Mar 2012 edit: Still going strong with VoIP and OTA. Total savings in one year: ~$1,500. It also looks like other companies are starting to offer TPIA access here. Start.ca and Distributel are two who offer it right now. Teksavvy is supposed to be coming too. Once I see some good reports from others, I'll be making that switch.

Comments:

Review by Phorkster See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "Fast"
Bad "60GB Cap + Overage charges."
Overall "Seem to raise rates every quarter or so and now with overages has fallen to the bottom of the heap."

Stay Away if you can.

member for 10.8 years, 2246 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by alamarco See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "Speed, Ping"
Bad "Bandwidth caps, Ultimate tiers have no cap on charges, Bad equipment"
Overall "Don't care about the customer and only care about lining their pockets"

I was having issues with my connection stability for a while when I finally decided to call in a tech. To my surprise the immediately identified the issue and they were shocked as well. The issue was the modem which as they mentioned was known to have a lot of issues and among others drop packets. They also mentioned that the modem has already been phased out and the current modem that they were installing was about to be phased out.

A few issues with that. First, if a modem was phased out because it was known to drop packets why wouldn't all customers get a notification? They could easily do it by region to avoid issues and slowly work out the bad modems instead of leaving customers with such faulty equipment. Second, if they know modem phasing is going to be done soon, why bring in the old modem?

My issue with that was I wanted to move up a tier from Turbo14 to Turbo20. They wanted to charge me $50 which was ridiculous because I would install the modem myself and drop it off, yet they didn't want to budge on the charge. When they sent a tech out as per the above issue, they didn't send one with the modem I needed to upgrade, they sent one with the older modem and when I told the tech they were surprised as they said they could of easily installed it.

So I had to call in again and and use the information from the techs on how my modem was so bad for so long to finally get them to drop the charge so I could upgrade.

In short, the techs knew what they were doing and were very pleasant. The support they offered was very good, but Cogeco themselves kept making the process difficult.

As for bandwidth, it's well known Cogeco is terrible in this area. The caps are very low for today's usage and the Ultimate tiers do not have a maximum charge with regards to overage fees which means your bill can be very high. Stay away from Ultimate tiers at all costs as you can easily go over Cogeco's low caps and get billed a ridiculous amount.

The following are services which all add up to a lot of usage and almost guarantee you go over your cap:
- Netflix, Hulu, Crunchyroll, YouTube, Apple Trailers
- Steam, XBOX 360, PS3
- Game demo's alone can be 1GB+
- VoIP
- etc.

member for 11.8 years, 4107 visits, last login: 1.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by swe3tdave See Profile

• Location: Sainte-Catherine-De-Hatley,QC
Good "Very good reliability once your hooked up"
Bad "Cost two time the price it would cost with other company"
Overall "unless this is your only choice, stay away from it"

i am stuck with cogeco until some TPIA company offer service in my area. Start.ca for example started reselling cogeco based internet service to people in ontario. At the price Start is offering it would cost me less than half of what i pay now. Really frustrating..

i could change from turbo 20 to turbo 40 and it should save me some money provided that i dont bust the bandwidth limit. But the though of having to be carefull about what i download is really bugging me. This is a really frustrating situation and i can tell you that i am going to change my isp as soon as i possibly can.

Comments:

Review by docbill See Profile

• Location: Stoney Creek,ON
Good "Actually gets rated speeds"
Bad "bandwidth cap"
Overall "good value, if you need speed more than bandwidth"

·Velcom
·Start Communicat..
I haven't received my first bill, but the rate for the first 12 months is on special for $39.99. I assume there will be about $7 in taxes added to that. Installation cost an additional $30. Cogeco was able to send someone to install the very next day, but I had to clean my garage first so they would be able to access the cable hookups. Previously I was using Acanac. With Cogeco I get 4x faster download rates and 40% faster upload rates. It is tempting to use that increased speed for file sharing. However, with a 60GB bandwidth limit that would not be wise.

So far I am happy. Great speed, and my normal bandwidth usage without file sharing is well below the bandwidth cap. If I need more bandwidth, I will cancel the phone line and use the savings to upgrade the service level for the internet.

Bill

Update: 3.4 Years later and still going strong. I upgraded to Pro a few months ago, so I updated the amount I am paying in the review.. You really only want to go to Pro if you need a higher bandwidth cap. The cable modems seem to fail about once ever 15 months or so, and then need to be replaced. Which means a few days outage, if they don't diagnose it correctly. If they diagnose it correctly you can just swap the modem at their outlet rather than waiting for a technician.

Update 2011-04-20: Cogeco just upgraded to me to Ultimate 30, dropping my price by $17/month and doubling my speed. I just did the speed tests, and my speed is actually about 3% more than what they advertise. I had a choice of having a technician coming to my house, or picking up a new modem at the mall. I picked the modem up, so I would not need to wait for the faster speed.

Update 2011-08-23: I received a notice from Cogeco that the price will be raised by $5/month, the bandwidth limit will be raised to 175GB/month from 125GB/month, and there will no longer be the $50/month cap on over-bandwidth charges. The lack of a cap on over-bandwidth charges have me worried. Even though I have successfully stayed just under the 125GB/month limit it requires steps like today I told my family no more YouTube videos until the start of next month. Our regular usage has grown, so I have no extra bandwidth to do things like download updated versions of Fedora. I am fairly certain if I do not monitor bandwidth regularly, the new policy will be doubling our internet bill by the same time next year...

Update 2011-10-18: I am lowering my rating for Cogeco. Last Wednesday they shutdown my internet connection because they detected a virus on my account. I contacted them immediately for details to get my network connection turned back on. It took two days to get any details, and that just was the time stamp on two different days when they detected the traffic, and the fact it was the SpyEye virus. Finally Monday they told me the IP address the virus was connecting to. Turns out it was not SpyEye, but just my VOIP adaptor connecting to my VOIP service provider checking for provisioning updates. While I do appreciate the diligence on Cogeco's part scanning for virus activity, I do not appreciate having to waste 5 days of my time scanning for a virus and root kits that only have a 30% detection rate simply because they don't provide me the information requested to trace the activity with my router's traffic logs. I also do not appreciate that they shut down my internet connection without even bothering to pick-up the phone and leave a message first. Like most customers, I don't login into Cogeco's website check regularly to see if they sent me an e-mail, and they have no option to forward to my gmail account.

Update 2012-02-28: I've switch to bell, but I might go back to Cogeco. Interesting enough for those who question Cogeco's bandwidth meter accuracy, I unplugged my modem 4 days ago, but every day there meter still shows me using more bandwidth.

Comments:

Review by ruddypict See Profile

• Location: Ingleside,ON
Good "Speeds decent"
Bad "Crappy data caps! Phone support a joke."
Overall "even 6mbit GAS DSL gives better caps! If you want data go elsewhere."

When I first started with Cogeco, I was really impressed with the service. I was not thrilled about the data caps however.

Later on our internet needs kept on increasing. The only way to fit our data usage was to constantly increase our speed. We didn't need the speed, we just wanted a decent data cap.

Since then Cogeco has maintained their thimble sized data caps. In addition they have overage fees. Each year the overage fee gets higher, the amount they can charge gets higher, and they've lifted overage caps on various plans. One DSLReports forum user was presented with a $2500 bill for data use!!! What else doesn't help matters is how regularly the usage meter fails, how often it waits a week before updating, etc..

I have not been impressed with the level of service either. Little things like phone support being arrogant, telling me I made up RFC1918, etc.. Out of the 3 techs sent to our house, only one was good, the others were utterly useless. Whenever I asked when my area would have DOCSIS3 rolled out, I never got a response -- not from techs in person, not on the phone and not even with the forum support people here (Have had NO answer in 2 years).

Lately the service itself hasn't been impressive either. My speeds have been dipping below 8mbit in the evening and on weekends.

Eventually I got sick of this and got a DSL MLPPP package from a current DSL company. With two DSL lines I have unlimited data usage and don't have to sit there counting bytes as they go through. More importantly I have a constant 10mbit speed regardless of the time of day. It costs HALF of what my Cogeco package did.

• Location: l3m1x

Pay for pro level service

I get downloads less than 1

Uploads less than 1

They say they will fix it in 3 months

Told me that 5 times so far

Makes me the fool I guess

(review was emailed from domain cogeco.ca)

Comments:

Review by dillyhammer See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Crazy fast"
Bad "A bit more than what I would like to pay."
Overall "Not bad value, not great value, keeping an eye on things and my options open."

·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
===================================================

WARNING!

COGECO DOES NOT HAVE MAXIMUMS ON OVERAGE CHARGES ON THE ULTIMATE 30 AND ULTIMATE 50 PACKAGES. AT $1 PER GIGABYTE, IF YOU GO OVER BY 500GB IN ONE MONTH, YOU WILL GET A BILL FOR $500 FOR THE OVERAGES FOR THAT MONTH. IF YOU GO OVER BY 1000GB, YOU WILL GET A BILL FOR $1000 FOR OVERAGES FOR THAT MONTH. THERE ARE NO LIMITS.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

===================================================

I've had Cogeco internet for a couple of years now and never really had a problem with it until they started the bandwidth cap. I have the standard service and the cap is 60g per month - which is stupid low and IMHO a money grab.

That said, up until November of 2009 I never went over the cap of 60g.

On New Years Eve 2009 I got a call from Cogeco. They said they wanted to check my wireless security because my bandwidth usage had tripled - approaching 100g a month for both November and December. I would be billed $30 each for those 2 months.

I've since installed a bandwidth monitor, and frankly, I think their assertion of the tripled usage is BS. My usage patterns have not changed in years, and my usage now is what it was in October and every month before that - normal, going to be about 50g this month.

Was also disconnected last Thursday. Couldn't get through to their support line, so I guessed it was a major problem. Checked my mail, and there was the little blue slip in my mailbox from Cogeco saying my neighbourhood was being upgraded and I'd be down for up to 9 hours that day. Yeah, thanks for the "in progress" notice.

I called Cogeco, got through, and asked why I didn't get better notice for a planned upgrade. The guy hummed and hawed. Whatever.

I had him put me through to billing and cancelled half my television service, dropping my monthly bill by about $30. There goes $360 of my business this year due to the bandwidth overage charges of $60.

In the process now of hooking up Teksavvy DSL. Should be completed this week. Once I get that stable, Cogeco internet is gone too, another $55 a month of my business they lose. On that day I'm also cancelling their HD service, which costs me about $19 a month.

So they bill me an extra $60 ( a rip off any way I look at it ), I change my services and go from $155 a month to $55 for basic digital TV.

Keep the $60 Cogeco, and enjoy.

The stated $44.95 a month charges do NOT include the poitential $1.50/gb bandwidth overage charges, capped at $30 per month.

IMHO, Cogeco should be avoided unless absolutely necessary.

UPDATE - Jan 20, 2010

Customer service called me today while I was configuring my Teksavvy DSL, to remind me that the bandwidth overage fees would be coming out on my next payment. I wound up having a lengthy discussion with the nice younbg gal who called. These fees are a major problem for Cogeco right now. Many people calling, complaining, cancelling. She said it was huge and they were not prepraed for this backlash. When I told her I'd be handing in my modem as soon as I was sure my new DSL service was stable she laughed. Nice gal. I told her she should be running the place.

She also told me that Cogeco will remove the first overage fee for any customer who calls and asks.

UPDATE - Jan 21, 2010

Dropped by cable modem off this morning. Called Cogeco when I got back home. I explained the whole situation to the chap, and told him in no uncertain terms that if there wasn't some negotiation on those overage charges I would likely be cancelling the balance of my Cogeco services before the next billing cycle. The rep gave me a credit for one month of overages ($30 + GST) but would not budge on the other month. On that basis, I'll keep what little Cogeco services I have remaining, and forget about the call i was going to put in for satelite. For now.

UPDATE - Nov 13, 2010
I'm back with Cogeco as of the 10th. The install took 8 business days due to static IP provisioning. This was something I needed, hence the business account. A secondary piece of hardware (a Cisco router acting as a gateway) is required for the static IP. I was a little freaked out about having a piece of hardware conencted to my network without having access or admin over it, still am.

The reason I've returned to Cogeco - the only reason - is I refuse to do business with Bhell Canada directly or indirectly. For me DSL is dead as a door nail.

In the event TSI puts together cable access in Hamilton I'll switch back, even if it means paying the $75 ETF. I've never gotten over the usage charges from late 2009. Given everything I've learned about metering and UBB since then, the charges were totally bogus. Meh. Live and learn.

UPDATE - April 11, 2011

DOCSIS3 was rolled out to the rest of Hamilton last week. I had read some previous posts about folks having some issues, but my concerns would put at ease by Marcer (thanks dude).

Ordered the upgrade to Business Ultimate 30 last week. The CSR who took my upgrade request - Anna - was terrific. Install was set for today, tech guy was in and out this morning, 5 minutes flat. Rebooted my router and away I go. In a word - crazyfast.

The support and service of the last few months have gone a long way in erasing some of the bad memories I have of dealing with Cogeco - and I've left them here so that others can understand the route I've taken with this company. I still don't agree with some of their policies and the way they do some things, but I feel a lot better about them today than I did a year ago, tell you what.

Is it me, or does anyone else find the Cogeco Business automated attendant's voice hot?

UPDATE - Oct 25, 2011

Speeding along on the Ult30 Biz. A couple of small issues easily remedied. Support on the biz side is much different. Faster. Better.

That said, I've had to cancel my cable subscription. I found the recent price hikes (on the TV and internet side) heavy-handed, so voted with my wallet and switched my TV to Shaw Direct. Better pricing, better quality picture. I own the equipment. Sticking with the Ult30 Biz in the meantime. I'm on a soft contract for the year, which is up in June. Keeping my options open. If there's TPIA, I may switch to that, if not, I may switch back to DSL (gulp) and try bonding 2 X 12 or 2 X 16 accounts and add the 7 up to both if that's possible.

For now, I'm reasonable happy.

If they harden their cap on the business side, I'm gone. I just won't tolerate, not at any price.

UPDATE - February 3, 2012

I will be moving off Cogeco shortly and cutting all ties with this company - the result of the $2500 UBB bill they passed on to a residential customer for 3 months of service.

»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare

To me, it is the very epitome of what is wrong with our telecom landscape, and that whole issue a poster boy for the real purpose of UBB - profits. I can't and won't do business with a company that does stuff like that. Period.

I have had DSL installed as of Feb 11 and I've disconnected all Cogeco equipment. The last day of service is March 10,. but I won't even be using that up. Equipment is bagged and tagged. That's it. I'm done with Cogeco.

Comments:

Review by DavidT See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
Good "Fast, stable speeds as-advertised / Relatively reliable"
Bad "Painfully low bandwidth caps / Inaccurate bandwidth meter"
Overall "You get what you are promised, but be prepared for frequent price increases, tech support headaches and billing nightmares."

My experience with Cogeco is a bit mixed, to say the least.

To be perfectly fair, the service we receive is exactly as advertised. We subscribe to Ultimate 30 and receive 30Mbps down and 2Mbps up. It is very reliable with only a few interruptions over the past two years (albeit pesky ones).

Tech support is just… Uhg! Their attitude towards situations is infuriating. If you’re having connection issues, they will think of every possible way to blame the issue on you. Even then, they are very reluctant to admit that the problem might be on their end. If it comes down to requiring a technician visit, they will make you very uncomfortable about it. “You better make sure the problem isn’t on your end, otherwise you’re going to end up paying.” This was the attitude I received every time I called, despite providing ample evidence that the problem was with their network. The only reason I’ve given them a 25% is because of the few employees that post on the BBR forums (unofficially). They are far, far more helpful and understanding than phone support. Unfortunately, some of them seem to have stopped posting in recent months.

Bandwidth caps are an absolute joke. We started off with a 125GB cap. This was recently increased to 175GB, but at the cost of an extra $5/mo as well as the removal of the $50 overage cap, meaning they can keep charging you to their heart’s content. This was a “take it or leave it” service change, with no option to stay on our current package. Frankly, it’s an absolute rip-off and a clear abuse of their cable monopoly.

The only thing more laughable than their bandwidth caps is their bandwidth meter. All it takes is a quick skim over the forums and you’ll find numerous reports proving that the meter is wildly inaccurate. Customers are frequently overcharged and the issue is so severe that is has made the front page of Broadband Reports several times now. Their meter is not regulated by any third party (e.g. Measurements Canada), so they essentially have a licence to print money and they’re not afraid to use it.

If it were not for the ridiculous dry loop fees imposed by Bell, I would be switching back to TekSavvy in a heartbeat.

member for 8.6 years, 1145 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by RShackleford See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "speed is good, the sales person i talked to (who was also the installer) was very nice and took his time with the install"
Bad "bandwidth cap too low, overage fees are high, although max ov $50 is good and CSR/TS not very smart."
Overall "good if you want speed, bad if you want something informative and high bandwidth cap"

Overall

Cogeco is not bad speed wise, but it is pretty terrible for it's bandwidth cap. I have the package with an 80gb cap and it is not nearly enough. If they had higher caps and more knowledgeable CSRs and TSR then they may have a higher review. But in the mean time they are pretty mediocre

member for 3.2 years, 1 visits, last login: 1 year ago