Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by teddy See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "Fast!! On the Standard package."
Bad "Low caps, especially considering the price."
Overall "Good solid service, but there are cheaper options."

·Start Communicat..
UPDATE - Not with Cogeco as of September 2013.

Price is $71.95 + tax.

We were previously on Bell Sympatico DSL but switched to Cogeco for a 12 month promotional rate of $108 including High Speed Standard, Digital Phone, and Digital Cable Basic. It was a fantastic deal at the time, however the promotional rate did eventually end and overtime prices inevitably raised a little bit at a time.

Speed is 30/2mbps, with a cap of 175GB/month with overage charges of $1.00/GB. Speed is always as advertised.

For the price I'm paying it's definitely steep. With the option of Start Communications now I'm going to have to really consider moving away.

member for 12.1 years, 3002 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by The Hobbit See Profile

• Location: Peterborough,ON
Good "Great Speeds, Reliable Service, Amazing Service Reps"
Bad "Wish The Business Pacages Has Lower Prices"
Overall "Internet The Way It Shoud Be"

Cogeco To Me Is Still An Amazing ISP, I Have Been With Them For Over 10 Years And I Have Had Nothing But Good Dealing With Them, They Keep There Services Up To Date & Try To Offer There Customers What It Is We Need, They Just Recently Increased There Monthly Download Limits To Unlimited Which Is Something I Have Been Waiting For Them To Do For Awhile Now. I Have Recommended Cogeco To Everyone That I Have Had A Chance To Talk To About My Internet Package & Features. I Hope That Eventually They Will Lower There Prices Down A Notch For The Business Packages, I Myself Would Like To Try Out The Business Ultimate Package But It Is Still A Little Pricey.

Comments:

Review by cableuser123 See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "Fast Speed, Never down"
Bad "Bad latency, Expensive if not bundled "
Overall "Good but not worth the Price"

Happy with the speeds but it is too expensive I will probably go with teksavvy at the end of my contract.

member for 50 days, 20 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Beaugrand See Profile

• Location: Acton Vale,QC
Good "Rapide pour du Docsis 2.0 , illimité "
Bad "Trop cher + lire la description"

·Bell Sympatico
Je paie pour 10 mbps business qui a été upgradé à 16 mbps

Docsis 2.0 supporte au gros max 18 mbps

On veut pas me donner mon 16 mbps parce que je suis pas dans un territoire Docsis 3.0 highway ... Wow , une chance que Cogeco a le monopole dans ma région parce que ca ferait longtemps que j'aurais changé

Comments:

Review by Kergan See Profile

• Location: Petawawa,ON
Good "I'm at a loss... Pings to my game server are ok..."
Bad "Used to be... FAST... VERY FAST! Now it's slow and useless..."
Overall "Was the best ISP IMO... now? Junk."

This is an update to my review I did a long long time ago...

I've had Cogeco for about 14 years now, I used to love it and I would never have thought of switching to other ISP... until recently.
I used to recommend Cogeco to all my friends who were looking for an ISP, now I tell them to stay away!! and that it is totally useless in Petawawa! I got Cogeco in Petawawa days after it was available on my street, and it was sweet, but a couple months ago my connection started to get slower in the evenings, and now it is at the point where downloading is HORRIBLE!! I'm used to downloading at nearly 4000kb/s and lately I am lucky to get 500kb/s. Techs have found no problems at my house, and I have gotten no official explanation on the problem.

This was my original review:

I've had Cogeco for about 4 years now, I love it and I would never switch to any other ISP.
I recommend Cogeco to all my friends who are planning on getting a high speed internet connection.

Comments:

Kevin61ph

@cgocable.net

Same

I might as well have dial up , its faster at night than my Ultra Low Speed from Slowgeco

Review by unsatified See Profile

Good "im still looking"
Bad "sporadic overpriced billing"
Overall "switch to start communications, and save yourself the headaches"

Charge you by the month, and bills sporadically, sometimes 30 day, sometime 35 days, and sometimes after 28 days. They can't figure out how to bill you one day a month.

Customer service supervisor claims cogeco charges a premium prices for their premium services. Premium services? Their internet cuts in and out on a regular basis, and the best they can offer me in the way of high definition television reciever g is 720p. Premium service is 720p? I figure premium service would mean 1080p. 720p cuts out a third of my picture, and thats not a premium service.

All I can say is, do your homework reading as many of the reviews here as possible, before going to cogeco. Look at all the other isp's serving your area, and if you still feel your best choice is cogeco, make sure you keep track of you due dates, or they may charge you 13 months a year by advancing your due date.

Comments:

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
·Bell Fibe

Interesting

I have a Cogeco internet connection, as well as a Start VDSL connection in my home. Cogecos is paid for by my wifes work as a dedicated connection for her, so why not. Also I have had Starts cable inet installed at a relative around the corner, as I am a big supporter of Start.

However, mocking their picture quality being capped at 720p is irrelevant. You are aware that nothing on ANY provider is broadcast in anything above 720p/1080i right? There are a few on demand movies that Bell offers, in 1080p, providing you have a PVR with a HDD to cache data to.

As for your billing issue. I have used Cogeco in the past, and use them now, and ive never heard of the issue your having. Let alone see it myself. Everyone is on a billing cycle that is generated based on your install date. Very interesting that you get random bills for random amounts. If you think youre getting scammed because your billing date it say, Jan 13 - Feb 12th. Thats just your billing cycle. They are not billing you random dates. They are billing you 30 days at a time based on your service activation.
unsatified

join:2014-02-08
·Cogeco Cable

Re: Interesting

My issue regarding their television service is not in regards to the quality of the service, but in regards to the supervisor justifying the higher priced service by calling it a "premium service". A premium service indicates they provide a service above all the others, and they don't. So why do I have to pay premium prices? A company can't say they are a premium service, their
Customers do.

Their customer service skills fall far below "premium", when a lot of the bad reviews on this site are due to customer service issues.

My billing issues are due to them moving my due date back, which is illegal. The "consumer bill of rights" says, when someone provides a service, they cannot demand payment (a.k.a due date) until all services have been rendered, meaning, even though they bill you a month in advance, any money owed is not due until all of the services on the bill have been rendered. I have talked to a person with the commissioner of complaints for telecommunication canada, they agreed with , and suggested I file a complaint, which I did.

When I called cogeco to inquire why my dates are moving back, they replied by saying "you are being punished for late payment.". The punishment for late payment is decided by the law, not cogeco. The law says punishment is 24% per year, or 2% per month, yet I have recieved 2 of these 2% late payment fees in a two week period. I am waiting out the complaints process for my money back.

In my opinion, based on my dealings with cogeco, they are nothing more than an unruly band of thug thieves, and I dont get up at 4am, 6 days a week, to sweat at work, only to have my money stolen by thieves, and neither should you.

Coaxguy, I thank you for your stellar review of start communications, because of this, and many other good reviews from this site, I am making the switch to start. You can add one more to your body count.

Review by MysticGuitar See Profile

• Location: Waterdown,ON
Good "Large On Demand selection, fantastic phone service"
Bad "High prices, very unreliable internet, unprofessional support, barebone television service, high on-demand rental prices"
Overall "Cogeco offers a truly amazing home phone service, but lacks with their internet and television offerings."

::Update 2: January 14th, 2014. ::

This is my (most likely) final update.

Cogeco has been an absolute nightmare to deal with, and they are unable to provide me with the services advertised, due to a severe case of network congestion.

Unfortunately, these issues will not be fixed until mid August of 2014, meaning my services will be severely impaired for a period of ten months. (nearly a year, as the congestion first occurred in mid October of 2013)

While Cogeco has offered $100 to help compensate for their congested internet services, this compensation is no where near a decent amount.

I intend to make the switch to TekSavvy by April/May of this year.

The final verdict: avoid Cogeco. They are not worth your time or your money, and while they do offer the absolute best home phone services around, they are severely lacking in regards to their internet and television offerings.

Internet, as stated, is very congested. The speeds are very inconsistent, and you are in no way receiving what it is you pay for.

The television lacks any of the smart features that other providers have been offering for years. The On-Demand pricing is outrageously high, the interactive guide is outdated and lacks modern functionality, and while the picture quality appears to be very clear, the lack of the additional services offered by other providers, and at the same general price, makes Cogeco an unworthy television provider.

--------

::Update 1: December 23rd, 2013. ::

Since writing my initial review, Cogeco has increased the monthly bandwidth allowance, and also introduced faster upload speeds (10 Mbps) so they are now capable of actually competing with Bell and Rogers. However, they have gone downhill in terms of network reliability, with massive congestion issues beginning mid October of 2013. I'm getting around 20-40% of what I pay for, having the download speed drop all the way down from a once-steady 60 Mbps to 10 Mbps. The general reliability has degraded, and severe packet loss is now occurring.

Cogeco's support services have been of absolutely no help to me, and for a very long while, they kept insisting that no problems were occurring. After multiple phone calls, they finally admitted that there was congestion in my area. However, they also noticed an unusual amount of packet loss coming from my local network, which they claimed was unrelated to the congestion. So, they sent a technician over to take a look.

This technician was an absolute waste of my time, as he didn't find anything wrong with my home network. Everything was working as it should be.

This issue has yet to be resolved.

I also tried to contact Aaron, who's a regular on the Cogeco forums. Unfortunately, Aaron has yet to resolve any of my issues, and is taking roughly a week in between replies. Though, I do understand his reason for delay, as he isn't exactly a top level technical support guy. Still, a week is too long. This should have been resolved in November, but it looks like I will continue to have issues for a while more, with no end in sight.

That's why I am lowering my rating. While Cogeco still provides excellent home phone services, and their television service appears to be fairly reliable and high in picture quality, the severe problems that I have been having with their internet services cannot be overlooked. They're so severe, I've been looking for other options, and am even considering Bell as an internet service provider. (as they now offer Unlimited bandwidth for $10 extra)

I'll provide another update when and/or if these issues are ever resolved. If they're not resolved before April, I am going to switch to another provider. I've had enough, and I've given Cogeco more than enough time to fix their services. This isn't acceptable.

--------

::Original::

My Plans:

Television: HD Digital Select 8 + Movie Network

(TV#2 same plan, but without HD)

Internet: Ultimate 60

Phone: Freedom

I'm not generally impressed with Cogeco's television services, nor am I unimpressed. They get the job done, and the HD programming has little to no visual artifacts. Cogeco offers a fairly barebone television service, one that meets all of your basic expectations, but doesn't go beyond the television medium with any kind of additional 'smart' features, such as those being offered by both Rogers and Bell. (ex. apps)

Cogeco provides a fairly significant amount of On Demand programming, even though the quality of all television shows is standard definition, most movies are available in HD, including the movies found on the 'Premium' section, such as The Movie Network content. The movies, excluding those offered in premium subscription plans, has an average rental fee of $7.95 for HD new releases. This price is higher than other internet-based rental services, such as Apple's iTunes store (which charges $5.99 for an HD rental of new releases), it is still an acceptable price for most movie-goers looking for a quick flick to watch on a Friday night with the family. Still, for heavy movie watchers, this may be a thing to consider before choosing to switch to Cogeco.

Although Cogeco has been expanding and improving their internet offerings over the years by including a higher monthly bandwidth cap, as well as increasing the speeds of the various plans that Cogeco provides. They are behind the competition in terms of upload channel speed and general network reliability. A 60 Mbps download connection coupled with a 2 Mbps upload channel doesn't justify a $100 monthly price, especially when you consider the speeds offered by the other internet service providers throughout Ontario, with Bell offering 50/10 connections at a price of $82.95, and Rogers having 45/4 for $74.99, Cogeco is simply not a viable option as an internet service provider. However, this is a very different story when it comes to the Cogeco phone services.

Cogeco, although not generally known as being a telephone provider, actually offers an outstanding phone service at prices far lower than both Bell and Rogers. Cogeco's Freedom plan is $50.99 monthly, and includes unlimited North American calling at any time of the day, a service that most other provides charge at a premium. For instance, Bell offers a comparable service with their Home phone Choice plan, which includes 5 free calling features. This plan is $42.94 monthly. For long distance calling, you must pay an additional $31.90, making your total monthly price $74.84.

I just can't stress enough how Cogeco's phone service is a truly amazing service for the price, and highly recommend Cogeco for their phone services alone. However, for internet or television, there are other far better providers out there to choose from.

When it comes to tech support, specifically phone-based support, the Cogeco agents were fairly polite and knowledgeable with their assigned departments. Although I've found myself at times being cycled between various agents before my problem could be resolved, they always treated me with respect and understanding. Cogeco has always been able to help, no matter how minor or severe the problem. That being said, one of the agents I've talked with recently did not know how to properly help me with my problem, and started to suggest I buy or subscribe to an additional package, which had absolutely nothing to do with the problem at hand. This specific agent at times made all kinds of suggestions as to what may be causing the problem, none of which were at all logical, and seemed to be nothing more than rapid guessing. So, even though Cogeco support isn't perfect, they remain to be one of the better tech support services I've come in contact with, if not the absolute best.

member for 2 years, 298 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
MysticGuitar

join:2012-04-12
Waterdown, ON

Order To Live?

Just to confirm, the 'From Order To Live' field is the amount of time it took Cogeco to set up and activate my services once my order has been filed. Is that correct?
uncogeco

join:2013-12-23
Belleville, ON
·Cogeco Cable

I think cogeco is a bad company

I signed up with cogeco on May of this year (2013). Now I made up my mind to cancel my cogeco account with my home phone and internet service in less than a year. I want to voice my opinion here so that more people can learn from my lesson and dont get fooled by this company. This company made a lot of money out of me by charging me the internet overage usage. So I wanted to upgrade my package to higher level and didn't mind to pay more for mothly fee. But they didn't provide my to the higher level package because they said they didn't have that in my area. Then when I wanted to cancel the account, they charged me $75.00 plus tax for the panelty. This is robbery and their customer service personnels are very rude. In here, I recommand people call this number 1-877-482-5522, they provide high speed internet service for $44.95/month for unlimited usage and their customer service is fantastic. It is worth it for me to pay panelty of $75.00 and go for a much better and cheaper service. I have a version, something like Cogeco so called monopoly wont last long, because there are some other companies are appearing with more compatitive service out there. Pelple need to know.
oCyberFreako

join:2013-07-25
Sarnia, ON
·ooma

I think...

to avoid some of the issues of early cancellation fees, is either to
a) tell them that you wish to cancel, but approve of the 30day cancellation time line.
b) call another provider to provide the same service ie tekksavy or start.ca for cable, that way you also avoid any start up fees with alternate companies. (works better with cable than it does for dsl.)

also use VoIP services for the phone, because that's essentially whats being done through Cogeco, they see profit in the markup value.

The service for VoIP that I recommend is Ooma, their device price is a bit on the high end but you don't need to plug it into a computer and I find the clarity in voice a lot better than most others. (I once worked at TigerDirect and had a lot of MagicJack returns). for 3.97 a month, unlimited calling, and basic caller id is better than traditional service costs. Plus you can bring your number over for $40 so you won't have to lose it.
»www3.ooma.com/refer-a-friend/?re···=DIK7082
Start Communications
Ooma VoIP

Review by uncogeco See Profile

• Location: Belleville,ON
Bad "bad"

Comments:

Review by Fowad See Profile

• Location: Trenton,ON
Good "Lol they are really good at empty promises."
Bad "You can't talk them into what they promised and kept telling me that if I don't like it I can cancel & pay $300 cancellation "
Overall "I'm stressed"

I was offered $97 from bell for 6 months and $123 after 6 months and installation free but I hate bell so I went with cogeco for $107/ month, but when I got my Channels, they sucked so I asked them if they can do anything and they gave me an upgrade for two month to try and see if I like the service. But when I got my bill it was at $187 when I talked to them they were more into me cancelling so they could get $300 for cancellation then solving the customers concern.

Comments:

Cogeco_Aaron
join:2011-07-11

Your Experience

Hi, if you want to PM me your account information, I'd be happy to look into the issue for you and see if we can find a resolution for you.

• Location: n9h1j
Good "When I cancelled."
Bad "Bundle with them and you will go broke."
Overall "We need a more competitive market or some government."

I am not a fan of any of the current top 3 providers but this review is
of me cancelling with cogeco.

I emailed cogeco customer service address to cancel my account
because of my bundled rate (after 1 year @ $180/month) because I
didn't want to talk to an upsell rep. A reply said they could
not process this and to call in my request what?. I called the
next day and got the rep who did not listen
and tried to upsell me. I said cancel my account and hung up. Monthly
invoices kept coming in and robot phone calls which I never answered or
returned. Now I have a call from their lawyer to deal with. There you go
folks, the only value you have as a customer to cogeco is your wallet
until its empty. I am copying my local MP on this because past
experience with Cogeco and Bell proves our leaders do not hold these
agencies to account and there is no active competition.

(review was emailed from domain magma.ca)

Comments:
cpedley

join:2013-08-01
Fonthill, ON

Cable Monopoly

I do not understand why cable companies are the last monopoly allowed to operate.
It may just be my lack of understanding. However why can't we pick which cable provider we want? Why can't other cable companies buy cable bandwidth from our local cable company like alternate phone companies do?

I am so sick of the arrogance and unfairness of it all.