Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Mokmo See Profile

• Location: Saint-Georges,QC
Good "Reliable connexion, fast, "
Bad "Low usage cap for 2014 needs, daily metering sometimes skips a day"
Overall "(2014)If you can afford it, get the unlimited and stop worrying"

2014 Update: Currently on Turbo 20, Bandwidth usage caps are now ridiculously low for normal internet use, even more now that Ultimate 55 is unlimited. I need datas, not speed. Connexion is reliable, but drops for a few minutes from time to time, mostly around 1 or 2am.

Bandwidth usage updates daily in the middle of the night, it does skip a day from time to time, would be better if it were 3-4 times a day. They can do it, as they'Re sending the 85% and 100% warning e-mails in the middle of the day at the exact moment it happens.

Once you go over your usage cap, you're better off just switching to the higher tier for the rest of the month as you'll quickly run through the price difference in 1.50$/GB extra fee. A normal family can chew through 125GB REALLY fast...

All internet prices feel expensive in Canada, but when they start offering unlimited and you're stuck one tier lower it hurts much more.

Original Review, ca 2004-5 : Ordered 5mbits, since november 98, we had the Lancity modem, rented for 10$ a month. We kept it until mid 2004 when we saw that digital cable was available and saving us about 15$ a month by combining. We bought a new RCA Thompson Cable modem and a digital cable box. OUR CONNEXION SPEED WAS BOOSTED 2-3 TIMES with the new modem. We had asked at least 4 times in the preceding 2 years if it was possible to change the modem because we saw that we weren't getting what we paid for (and this was with 3 computers plugged in with a router so we were really using it sometimes)

Their official speed test went from 2.2 mbits to nearly 5 in a matter of unplugging/replugging the modems...

member for 9.4 years, 131 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Stancebeck See Profile

• Location: CANADA
Bad "Really bad experience"

Here is my story, back to 2010, I moved to Windsor,On for my university life, and I used Cogeco Cable.In MAY 2012 I finished my school, I called Cogeco cable to disconnect my service in June, and returned tv box and Internet modem in July,after that all done, I moved to Toronto. In April 2014, my banker called me says there is a collection agency are running after me. A day after, I printed my Credit report to see what is happening. I called Cogeco and collector immediately, the answer is I did not return the equipment that I mentioned. Now this case is hurting my Credit, and the customer service are pretty rude and useful. Unfortunately this has been 2 years, I cant find the receipt. I am still handling this, but pretty much I cant prove that I have returned stupid TV box and modem. Don't lose your receipt, unless you want Cogeco to rob you.

Comments:

Review by Verno See Profile

• Location: Grimsby,ON
Good "Unlimited usage on business packages"
Bad "Outdated/slow upstream, huge gap between entry level and performance packages"
Overall "Not bad but not great and price increases after contract period is over"

·Start Communicat..
I ordered the business starter package from Cogeco for $67.74 on a 1 year term, the modem was included in the price which was nice and the earliest service appointment was 4-5 business days. There is a large gap between their packages, seemingly on purpose to drive people to higher profit margin ones. This exists on the residential side too. Their website also attempts to obfuscate information about package details and price rates. In any case after much reading and re-reading I ordered. Tech came out and had everything ready to go without issues in 15 minutes. He did a speed test, asked if I had any questions and left. The modem itself proved to be a problem, it would intermittently drop out under high traffic loads and then have to resync. The only real workaround was artificially limiting the speed using QOS on my router to prevent the modem from being seemingly overloaded.

The package was as advertised but after 2 years there were no speed upgrades and the upstream was woefully slow even for entry level. I ended up leaving for a competitor who was only $0.06 cheaper for 10x the upstream. Their retention department didn't seem to care either despite having never filed a support ticket or missing a payment.

Cogeco is solid but their package values are pretty dubious and one sided. Their TV and phone packages suffer from the same problem. Ok but better options from resellers exist.

Comments:

Review by sommervr See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "network uptime"
Bad "ripped me off for years"
Overall "so mad I could spit"

I have been a cogeco customer for years. I had the Ultimate 30 package for years and was recently switched to the Ultimate 55 package. This is supposed to be 55 mbps down 10 mbps up. I recently ran some speed tests and noticed I was rate limited at 16.6 mbps down and 1 mbps up. I called tech support and it turns out that the modem they supplied years ago could NEVER support the premium packages I was paying for. I have been getting ripped off for years.

Honestly I have never been so angry at any company before. I created an account here just to warn my neighbors who are probably getting ripped off as well.

Belleville ON

Comments:
sommervr

join:2014-06-26
Canada

I did call cogeco again...

And they did credit me for the difference between what I payed for and what I received over the years. Buyer beware I am sure more persons have this issue

Cogeco_Aaron
join:2011-07-11

Re: I did call cogeco again...

I'm glad you were compensated for this issue. If there's anything else I can do to help you, let me know!

Gixxer

join:2008-08-27
St Catharines, ON
Wow, they actually compensated you? I'm surprised, may I ask how much?
I love fish sticks. I love putting fish sticks in my mouth.
EastYorkGuy

join:2010-12-24
Wow I've never heard of anybody being credited retroactively before - do you now have the right modem?
Mokmo

join:2005-02-03
Saint-Georges, QC

Modem too slow for speed ?

What ?!? They paid you back ? We were for YEARS on the Lancity modem before we finally bought our own. triple speed overnight. They never even considered opening something to credit us... Be happy you caught this.

Review by Cal See Profile

• Location: Asbestos,QC
Good "for about 2 years now it has been reliable and steady"
Bad "really expensive for the ridiculous low bandwidth caps they have with no option of just increasing your cap"
Overall "is a good option but only if you do not have any other stable option with better bandwidth cap options"

Can't really complain service has been good and haven't had any really negative experiences. Overall speeds are as advertised and the is stable.

There is one HUGE beef with cogeco though and that is it silly caps they provide, I have turbo 20 and seriously 125 GB a month is sad.

In this age of streaming (be it netflix, youtube etc etc), gaming with twitch.tv amongst so many other things done online a package like turbo 20 with 20/2 mb/s should come with 250 or 300gb per month or at the very very least offer an option for more GB flat out.

As it is you need to get a higher package that increases speeds which may or may not be available in your area, some like me just want more GB per month and are quite happy with the current speeds we have. IE I want to remain with Turbo 20 but have an option for 300 gb instead of only 125gb.

They need to take a look a techsavvy, Ebox etc packages and get a clue on this front.

Comments:

Review by teddy See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "Fast!! On the Standard package."
Bad "Low caps, especially considering the price."
Overall "Good solid service, but there are cheaper options."

·Start Communicat..
UPDATE - Not with Cogeco as of September 2013.

Price is $71.95 + tax.

We were previously on Bell Sympatico DSL but switched to Cogeco for a 12 month promotional rate of $108 including High Speed Standard, Digital Phone, and Digital Cable Basic. It was a fantastic deal at the time, however the promotional rate did eventually end and overtime prices inevitably raised a little bit at a time.

Speed is 30/2mbps, with a cap of 175GB/month with overage charges of $1.00/GB. Speed is always as advertised.

For the price I'm paying it's definitely steep. With the option of Start Communications now I'm going to have to really consider moving away.

member for 12.4 years, 3092 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by The Hobbit See Profile

• Location: Peterborough,ON
Good "Great Speeds, Reliable Service, Amazing Service Reps"
Bad "Wish The Business Pacages Has Lower Prices"
Overall "Internet The Way It Shoud Be"

Cogeco To Me Is Still An Amazing ISP, I Have Been With Them For Over 10 Years And I Have Had Nothing But Good Dealing With Them, They Keep There Services Up To Date & Try To Offer There Customers What It Is We Need, They Just Recently Increased There Monthly Download Limits To Unlimited Which Is Something I Have Been Waiting For Them To Do For Awhile Now. I Have Recommended Cogeco To Everyone That I Have Had A Chance To Talk To About My Internet Package & Features. I Hope That Eventually They Will Lower There Prices Down A Notch For The Business Packages, I Myself Would Like To Try Out The Business Ultimate Package But It Is Still A Little Pricey.

Comments:

Review by cableuser123 See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "Fast Speed, Never down"
Bad "Bad latency, Expensive if not bundled "
Overall "Good but not worth the Price"

Happy with the speeds but it is too expensive I will probably go with teksavvy at the end of my contract.

Comments:

Review by Beaugrand See Profile

• Location: Acton Vale,QC
Good "Rapide pour du Docsis 2.0 , illimité "
Bad "Trop cher + lire la description"

·Bell Sympatico
Je paie pour 10 mbps business qui a été upgradé à 16 mbps

Docsis 2.0 supporte au gros max 18 mbps

On veut pas me donner mon 16 mbps parce que je suis pas dans un territoire Docsis 3.0 highway ... Wow , une chance que Cogeco a le monopole dans ma région parce que ca ferait longtemps que j'aurais changé

Comments:

Review by Kergan See Profile

• Location: Petawawa,ON
Good "I'm at a loss... Pings to my game server are ok..."
Bad "Used to be... FAST... VERY FAST! Now it's slow and useless..."
Overall "Was the best ISP IMO... now? Junk."

This is an update to my review I did a long long time ago...

I've had Cogeco for about 14 years now, I used to love it and I would never have thought of switching to other ISP... until recently.
I used to recommend Cogeco to all my friends who were looking for an ISP, now I tell them to stay away!! and that it is totally useless in Petawawa! I got Cogeco in Petawawa days after it was available on my street, and it was sweet, but a couple months ago my connection started to get slower in the evenings, and now it is at the point where downloading is HORRIBLE!! I'm used to downloading at nearly 4000kb/s and lately I am lucky to get 500kb/s. Techs have found no problems at my house, and I have gotten no official explanation on the problem.

This was my original review:

I've had Cogeco for about 4 years now, I love it and I would never switch to any other ISP.
I recommend Cogeco to all my friends who are planning on getting a high speed internet connection.

Comments:

Kevin61ph

@cgocable.net

Same

I might as well have dial up , its faster at night than my Ultra Low Speed from Slowgeco