Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by Matty632nm See Profile

• Location: Napanee,ON
Good "Speed & Uptime!"
Bad "$1.50/GB over charge, rates tend to increase every year"
Overall "Great service if you don't need a ton of bandwidth"

·TELUS
I'll be neutral and direct here:

I am in Napanee right now with the Turbo 20 Package which includes:
-20/10mbps speed, and usually very consistent bandwidth with a 150GB bandwidth cap
-Rental of a Cisco DPC3000 Docsis 3 modem with 4 bonded download and 4 upstream channels
-latency for gaming is usually pretty low
-service is very reliable in terms of up time (rarely any outages in Welland and in Napanee)
-Longest outage in Napanee was 3 days due to many fallen trees, Cogeco customer service has been exceptional during this event and gave us a little credit

Cogeco has excellent customer service, especially with retentions:
-Prices do tend to increase every year, however if you remain a customer you are able to negotiate a little bit on your yearly service rates.
-I am not much of a heavy bandwidth user and Cogeco is perfect for us especially since we have bundled discounts from having the HDTV value package.

We all want truly unlimited internet but this is 2014, Cogeco is your best bet for TV/Internet Bundling

Comments:
oCyberFreako

join:2013-07-25
Sarnia, ON
·ooma

Rates

I'm not 100% sure as to why you aren't able to have start in your area, as you made a review before about service.

Just so that other people are aware the service is normally for $61.95, -$15 for a 6month promotion and bundling for another -$10 off. Bringing the immediate cost of service to 36.95, and 51.95 in 6 months time. Phone service, even basic normally starts at 33.99 and reduced down to 23.99 bundled.

My service is 39.95 for the same 20mb down 2mb up, and 150gb cap (don't forget some unlimited service between 2 & 8am), and I pay $4 for actual VoIP service via Ooma.

Your service costs: 60.94/6mo or 75.94/mo
My services: 43.95* or 53.94/with premier*

*includes unlimited Canadian LD
**includes a 2nd line and unlimited NA Long Distance

But then again if you're happy with services that's all that matters.

Matty632nm

join:2003-02-25
Napanee, ON
·Cogeco Cable
·TELUS

Re: Rates

Start is also available here in Napanee. I have used Start while I worked in North York/Toronto as my main ISP with no other TV or Voip discounts. In that scenario Start was significantly cheaper and offered a better cap over what Rogers could have offered.

Right now with Cogeco it's actually cheaper for us to bundle our HD Value Pack $48.99 and Turbo 20 $36.95 together as we are on a 1 year retentions promo. It works out to exactly $97.11 for both services according to last months bill.

You're absolutely correct if we didn't subscribe to TV and/or spoken with Cogeco retentions Start's Standard Internet Service for $39.95 would have been the much cheaper alternative with the 2am-8am unlimited bandwidth window

Review by Keaters See Profile

• Location: Chatham,ON
Good "425GB of usage is perfect for my needs"
Bad "No transparency and willing to fix a massive problem in a city"
Overall "If Bell would upgrade Chatham to VDSL, I would jump ship in a hard-beat to a TPIA for VDSL service."

·TekSavvy Cable
I love the fact I can get 60Mbps down and a future upload of 10Mbps and to pay $64.95 for it is awesome. You cannot beat that price with any other provider out there. I am so happy I got this service and don't have to worry about anything. Will update my post in a few months to give you a better idea of how it goes.

Update: Over the past 4 months, I have been blown away by the incapability of Cogeco to manage the network in Chatham. All of Chatham is currently under a slow speeds issue for all DOCSIS 3.0 speeds due to over subscription, and nodes that need to be upgraded. You think, to avoid pissing off their customers, they could get their act together and upgrade their service to handle the existing problem. What makes this even more stupid is the fact my account was given to a member from the Office of the President and I was told there is no exact time frame for repairing the congestion issue during peak hours problem. Then, I find out from friends and colleagues who have Cogeco on the Ultimate 30 that they are being moved to the Ultimate 55 by mid April. So Cogeco will upgrade speeds, but upgrade the network to resolve the existing problem before do this? Cogeco just needs to be more transparent and more active with their customers when it comes to issues like this. I would not be as iritated and upset as I am now. Oh well.

Update: Well, as of May 13, 2014 - MARK THIS ON YOUR CALENDAR - The slow speeds problem in Chatham and artificial node congestion has been resolved with the removal of the analogue tv channels and the changing of the channel bonding from 3x1 to 8x3. Now, not only do I get a full 60-62Mbps down, I also get a full 10Mbps up. I am just blown away by the fact that I said this needed to be done 9 months ago and Cogeco took their time because someone high up decided to wait this out until now. I can say, that I am finally happy to see consistent speeds with no problems at all. Now the wait will be to see when my connection will jump for the legacy Ultimate 60 to the new Ultimate 120. The count down is on and will update once Chatham finally sees that upgrade. Of course adding additional HD channels for overpriced TV and adding more HD Ondemand seems to be of more priority at the moment. I would have agreed with that a while ago, but with the advent on HD streaming video and the cost being 1/5th that of Cable TV, I would never go back unless the package pricing decreased with the removal of theme packs and better pick and pay options.

Comments:

T25

@start.ca

Lies.

Umm, it's $94.25 without a bundle and excluding 6 month promotional discount. Do you really want to bother with the trouble of switching afterwards? Not worth it imo.

Keaters
join:2007-07-25
Chatham, ON

Re: Lies.

I am on a 12 month promo for existing TV customers

Review by urbanriot See Profile

• Location: St Catharines,ON
Good "NEVER goes down, 30+ day binary newsgroup support, amazing speeds, and local support."
Bad "Overage charges! Personnel issues, allegedly slower in dense areas like apartment buildings."
Overall "Excellent ISP for web browsing, emailing, gaming, speed; Bad for heavy downloading unless you get the business package."

I've been using Cogeco's service since before their name was attached, for maybe 15 years (I've lost track), and I've typically had a decent experience all throughout the Niagara Peninsula. The following encompasses my most recent four years with their service:

Cogeco's primary complaint from younger internet users:

- a moderate bandwidth allowance for residential accounts that charges people for overages when they could simply provide a web notification when a user is near.

Cogeco has many positive points:

- excellent torrent downloading speeds, always hitting my cap on properly seeded torrents. Cogeco employees have stated they're throttling P2P / torrent uploads, but I'm still able to obtain decent speeds and maintain ratios 2:1 ratios.

- extremely low gaming latancy with fast pings, some servers in NY and Toronto pinging as low as 7 - 12ms, faster than everyone else in the server.

- Highwinds newsgroup support with at least 30 day retention, which most ISP's are no longer offering, with support for many popular binary groups.

- local knowledgeable tech support that speak a clear and understandable English who are available 24/7. Most of my experiences with them have been pretty good.

- some highly motivated, dedicated and skilled on-site techs (and a few that are not so much)

- I experience minimal internet downtime, maybe once or twice a year; outages are extremely rare in the city

Cogeco's additional negative points:

- they hide the real prices of their packages so most people are suckered into paying more than they expected

- a few years back, a number of profit making changes have been made to Cogeco which seriously disenfranchised them from their loyal and long term customer base

- inflexibility in scheduling on-site support calls: if you tell them you can only get out of work at a certain time, too bad, it's an 'all day' possibility. This frustrates so many people.

- a few on-site and contracted techs who aren't so skilled (rare but it happens)

- often the phone support personnel are not aware of nodal issues that they should be aware of, to better help customers often which result in.

- some phone support personnel have limited skills and a high degree of arrogance, so when encountering people with considerably more knowledge they foolishly provide bad advice with a bad attitude portraying themselves as experts.

- phone support do not sufficiently provide detailed information when situations are escalated and they don't call you back as they tell you they will.

- an inability to repair or diagnose issues that clearly exist outside your home and don't require service calls

- undetermined effects of upstream packet filtering (fortunately no downstream filtering yet)

- they don't appropriately alert users that they'll be nailed with overage charges before it happens. An email to an account that's never checked is not enough.

Note: If you're a heavy downloader, consider the business accounts as there's a good possibility you won't experience the overage charges that are applied to residential accounts. Hint hint.

member for 9.9 years, 4201 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Airwolf See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "Latency for gaming is great. 30/10 Mbps"
Bad "Nothing I can think of thus far."
Overall "Solid ISP"

- - - Updated on February 21, 2014 - - -
Nothing bad to report. They upgraded the upload speed to 10 Mbps in the Fall.
Modem still kick'n.

Bumped rating to connection reliability, services, and value for money to 5.

- - - Updated on January 27, 2011 - - -
I've updated my service to Ultimate 30 once it was available here and it's been fine for my needs since.

Arris TM722G modem was supplied. Works fine.

- - - Updated on July 20th, 2010 - - -
Well, it's been some time since I last updated so here it goes.

The price has increased since the last time, but the service quality has been alright. I had a problem with the modem, brought it in and exchanged it for another one. This one did not work either. Went back, got it replaced again, went home and it worked.

The modem was rebooting itself and long a downtime in between syncing. They tested on their end and said that the modem was rebooting itself too much. They wanted a tech to come out a week later or something, but it's not far to the storefront from here.

I never used to reach the 60GB cap. However, I'm listening to streaming audio, watching streaming videos online, downloading games through Steam, movies on Xbox Live, plus with 3 computers active on the internet is starting to rack up the coin since I'm going over the cap by a few GB.

Once TekSavvy cable internet is deployed here, I hope Cogeco will re-evaluate their caps to make it more competitive with TekSavvy's 200GB or Unlimited plan.

As it stands, the service is good, but I feel the caps are way too low for today's entertainment needs.

Last time I had DSL, the service was crap here.

Latency has been fine. A hickup one day, but that's all.

- - - Updated on April 8th, 2008 - - -
Not much to write here other than the download speed issue has been fixed. Few down times since the year started.

No complaints really. *knock on wood*

- - - Updated on October 8th, 2007 - - -
Well, the download speed went back to crap. Started around the 3rd. Same deal as before. Sort of fast in the early morning, slower as the day goes on. I'll leave the rating as is...for now.

- - - Updated on September 17th, 2007 - - -
Well it looks like the problem has been resolved. Apparently my node was split and started to receive speeds well above 9000kbps all day. Even hitting 9500+kbps which I don't think I've seen since the 10mbps upgrade. So the average I'd say is around 9300kbps all day. Didn't get the good results right away after the split, still had some issues, but over the past 6 days the results were what I mentioned above. So hopefully it's 99% resolved.

I didn't really want to leave Cogeco in favour for Bell or a third-party DSL service as the last time I was with the service, it wasn't pleasant.

I raised the rating back up to 4 overall. Will still keep an eye to see if this was truly resolved or just a fluke, but I'm hoping for the former.

If all is good well into October, I'll update this review to let you know.

- - - Updated on March 31st, 2007 - - -
Still having the same issue.

A couple times lasting maybe a day or so it would be about 8500kbps in the morning and drop down to 3000 or so.

Now it drops down to about 700-800kbps in the evening.

Tech came over to do some work for our digital cable issues, bypassed the line underground to go overhead and tap into the neighbours line because there was a crack in the line. They said they will wait until the ground thaws to do the repair. The tech said our lines inside were fine.

Called tech support about the internet issues and they said there's nothing wrong on their end to my end and that if they were to send a tech out during the time that it's not acting up, I will be charged for the visit. Yea, considering I have no control over when it will act up and what's acceptable to Cogeco as good service, I'm not taking that chance.

I have verified by formatting the computers, replacing the splitter that the one tech left for us for the digital cable issue.

So I'm either convinced that there is an issue going on in this area and not being told about it or the line is possessed.

I don't know what's going on, but like I mentioned below, this started just after the 10mbps upgrade in the summer of 2006. Before that, everything was peachy.

The fact that prices are going up and service is going down...I'm afraid I'll have to re-evaluate the ranking.

- - - Updated on Oct 1st, 2006 - - -

About a couple weeks after the 10Mbps upgrade, I've been getting less than acceptable download speeds. Just took a speed test from »speedtest.cogeco.net and the result was less than 1mbps. These seems to have been the worse result so far. Other times it's either somewhere in between 2000Kbps - 7000Kbps. If I'm lucky during the very early morning I'll see anything above 8000Kbps. Upload and latency is fine. I hope it gets resolved sometime this year.

- - - Updated on July 13th, 2006 - - -

Download was increased to 10Mbps. Getting at least 1MB/s real world downloads. In....sane. Don't forget that real world speeds are not going to get to 10Mbps, you have to account for overhead. Nevertheless, the boost is nice.

»sd.wareonearth.com/~phil/net/overhead/

- - - Updated on June 12th, 2006 - - -

Had to bring in the modem to the storefront to get replaced after the the 325 pooped out. Came home with a 315 and the Ethernet port wasn't working so I had to go back only to return with another 315. Fine now for the time being.

3 modem swaps this year and few minor latency issues. Due to this I bumped my rating of 5 for Connection Reliability down to 4.

Cogeco just upgraded the download rate to 7.5 Mbps (7500 Kbps).

Ideal, affordable solution if you have more than one computer on the network.

3 dynamic IPs that are MAC bounded. However, I'm using the same IP for a year now with a router. It has only changed once back when I wasn't using a router. Even then I had that IP for a lot longer than what you have with a dynamic IP with an ADSL service; they could change each time you establish a PPPoE connection.

I also like the idea that Cogeco has a dedicated FTP or HTTP repository for Fedora Core. »less.cogeco.net (The bunny with the pancake on its head will give you the option to choose which one you want.)

Comments:

Review by hairspring See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
Good "solid connection, good speed, solid support"
Bad "seemingly arbitrary service fee increases"
Overall "Cogeco is a competitive option again."

Cogeco was really my only feasible option. Could have gone DSL dry loop but didn't want the hassle of dealing with Bell, either directly or indirectly.

Order was done in about 20 minutes, bundled with cable TV. Walked out with a plan, an install date, and my cable box.

Tech showed up on time for the install. Called me up and delivered an RCA modem. Up and running in about 30 mins.

Had the service since April 2009. No issues to speak of since.

The cap is a little low but I don't realistically exceed it with my normal usage. I am getting very concerned by the overage fees. My most recent bill (May 2012) charged me an extra $30 for 18GB of overuse. This nearly doubles my internet bill. As a customer that rarely exceeds the cap, I feel I should be able to bank some bandwidth in the rare circumstance I go over.

Update June-27-2010 -- Service still fine. No outages or speed issues. I'm a little concerned about the price increases. $10 more over the last year seems excessive.

Update - Nov-13-2010 -- Downgraded to High Speed Lite to save some bucks. Also downgraded my TV to basic cable. The customer service rep I spoke to was efficient and helpful. Everything happened on time. Service is still solid.

Update - Mar-14-2012 -- Service is still solid. A little slow sometimes. I would guess my node is getting busier. I still find the prices quite high considering the low cap. I had one incident that required tech support. It was a simple problem that they helped me fix right away.

Update - Apr-12-2012 -- I'm downgrading connection reliability and service each by one due to recent problems. I'm going to contact Tech Support and re-evaluate based on the result.

Update - May 12-2012 - I'm upgrading connection reliability and service back up to where they were prior to my issues. A tech arrived on time and did what he could (problem was not present at the time). He replaced my modem and re-patched the connection. No issues with the connection or speed since. I'm downgrading Value to the worst possible value based on my last bill (see note above).

Update - Aug 28-2013 - Cogeco doubled the cap on my plan earlier this year. This eliminates the excessive overage fees I would rack up every few months but I still consider Cogeco on the low end value-wise. Given the alternative options now available, I'll be shopping for another provider once my home renovation is complete.

Update - Dec 16-2013 - I finally cut the cord on my cable TV. Cogeco offered to increase my internet service at a substantially reduced price. I took the deal. I'm now quite satisfied with the service.

member for 6.8 years, 968 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by kim See Profile

• Location: ON
Good "Speed baby, speed."
Bad "I just can't think of any."
Overall "Good value"

I'm on the Express 8 Internet package for $41.95
I have my landline with them for $36.00
For a total of $ 77.95 + tax and fees if applicable.
I expect a slight increase as I just cancelled my TV service with them and this changes a 'bundled' fee.

As for the internet I am extremely happy with it. It's solid, fast and reliable.
My home phone service for $36 I'm undecided about. Cancelling that is always in the back of my mind.

TV
I returned my receivers so my average bill used to be ~$220 will now be under $100

The reason is I don't watch enough TV to justify having all these channels I don't watch. I watch movies and a few series and I watch them without commercials. Paying for standard TV I never watched made no sense.

I now have Mac TV and Netflix and I am very happy with it.

Comments:

Review by waynecbaker See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "A reliable connection with steady download speeds"
Bad "A data transfer cap of 80 gigabytes per month"
Overall "A reasonable choice if you don't need unlimited data transfer"

·Bell Sympatico
I have the Turbo 14 package from Cogeco Cable for my Internet access.

When I ordered the service, I was contacted by a customer service representative concerning any questions I might have had about the service. About 5 days later, I had a service technician install the cable modem and connection to the cable system.

I have a reliable connection with a consistent download speed of 14 megabytes per second with few if any slowdowns. The e-mail service is also dependable with a storage allowance of 100 megabytes for the main e-mail account.

The only thing you may want to consider is the data transfer allowance, or cap, of 80 gigabytes per month for both downloaded and uploaded data combined. Most general purpose users probably wouldn't have difficulty staying within this allowance, but heavier users might. Such users may want to consider a digital subscriber line (DSL) service that has no data transfer caps.

With my television, Internet and telephone service bundle from Cogeco, I get a $12 monthly discount off the usual price of $62 a month.

Comments:

Review by InariTheFox See Profile

• Location: Hamilton,ON
Good "Consistent speeds, generally friendly staff"
Bad "Horrible moving between cities"
Overall "Better than DSL, but no really business quality"

Speeds are reasonable, 10/1 for $100 a month isn't too bad as far as business pricing goes. The speeds are usually spot on, if not sometimes a tad better.

Serious issue when I moved in, moving from Oakville to Hamilton, that included having to deal with collections for months because they couldn't switch over the accounts correctly. Devices were not moved, and thus incurring charges on an account that was supposedly closed. Because of this, caused loss of service.

As of late, there have been frequent outages at night, lasting for hours on end, without no prior warning. Being a business account, I should be notified ahead of time when work is being done on the node, but even something so simple as an email is apparently not possible. This is a serious headache as I host my business off the service.

No SLA. No Access to Detailed Terms on accounts, everything is generic and you have to hunt to no end to find it. The business terms are basically a retitled consumer contract.

Solid company, but they used to be so much better when they actually cared for the customer. Apparently that decade is gone.

Comments:

Review by gramps2eight See Profile

• Location: Windsor,ON
Good "no dropped connections and speed is good for Canada"

Cogeco has been very good for services and help when needed, My connection is stable with just three connection drops since last July. This is great since my last ISP could'nt keep the connection up for more than fifteen minutes and could not repair it. Had field reps out four times and they could not find the problem let alone fix it.

Comments:

Review by Lynn0 See Profile

• Location: Trenton,ON
Good "good service"

We signed up for Cogeco about three months ago. The service has been good and I have only had to call the sales team once for information. Reps are friendly and seem to be well trained. They have no problems answering any of my questions. Signal strength is great and have not experienced any down time so far.
I never give a perfect score as there is always place for improvement but I will say I have had no problems with them and are very happy with their service.

Update to this review.

Service is still good and staff is fantastic. If you have questions they are more than willing to help you out. You want good service go with Cogeco..