Cogeco Cable page on DSLReports

Review by auggy See Profile

• Location: Brockville,ON
Good "Excellent speed and reliability"
Bad "Low bandwidth cap"
Overall "Very good value, I would recommend Cogeco in my area"

I switched to Cogeco Cable from Bell Sympatico about a year ago and I am very happy with the service.

The installation went smoothly and I have much improved speeds and reliability with Cogeco.

Although the bandwidth cap is low I would still recommend Cogeco Cable in my area.

member for 12.8 years, 6803 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Axanon See Profile

• Location: Milton,ON
Good "Excellent speed, Friendly and Comprehendable Customer service"
Bad "Expensive"
Overall "A little more expensive than DSL, but much better customer service and alot faster"

We are currently in the process of switching from Cogeco to Bell (Sympatico, and ExpressVu). After an unfortunate experience with Cogeco's Television services we opted to change services. We were offered a (somewhat) fantastic sounding package by Sympatico.

Anyways, I have 2 virtually identical computers right by each other and since we have a few more days of Cogeco's internet left, I've got one computer on Sympatico high speed and the other on Cogeco High Speed.

THE TEST:

I run Linux on both machines (thats of little consequence though), and I KNOW with Cogeco my download speeds for repository packages have always been superb. (Basically this is like a software catalogue for programs you want to install on your system).

On both machines I selected identical packages (both sources are also set to the same server for obvious reasons). On the Sympatico machine, I could not get a faster download than 265k/sec. On the Cogeco machine the exact same packages downloaded between 900k/sec and a blazing 1200k/sec. At some times I think Cogeco even blinked to about 1300k per second, but for the sake of an average speed it was 1200k/sec.

I am a serious downloader, and one thing I have noticed about Cogeco is that even if you go over your monthly cap from time to time, we have never been charged extra. Will Sympatico be as forgiving?

CUSTOMER SERVICE:

On the rare occasion, if I have ever had to deal with Cogeco's CS/TS on the phone I have to say they are some of the most friendly and helpful people (for the rare exception of one or 2 calls). These people are presumably locals and I think there has only been one time where a rep was hard to understand.

Today when I called Sympatico for help with installing the new service I was transferred to a call center (presumably in India?) and the 1st call I was disconnected, on the 2nd and 3rd calls the 'techs' were so incredibly hard to understand they eventually needed to transfer me to a manager, who was still pretty hard to understand, but the problem was eventually resolved.

Comments:

Review by MarkAW See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "installation is the best"
Bad "Big inprovment over the years"
Overall "i'd tell anyone to get cable internet from cogeco but watch out for their customer service slow as hell."

I was one of the first to get cable internet (Quintenet) in my area and they were great with installation (Cogeco has taken over now and my speeds have gotten better) customer service has improved over the years.All i have to say about Cogeco now is that they rock,i don't know why i didn't go cable before.

Comments:

Review by mikebabcock See Profile

• Location: Peterborough,ON
Good "High top speed, very low latency"
Bad "Random throttling, low download caps, poor customer service, costly"
Overall "Good for high speed basic web browsing, but not for intensive users"

I have been a Cogeco high-speed user for many years now, and have their 10M service (lower and higher services are also available). While the top speeds can be staggering (1.2MB/s downloads for new Java updates, for example), the uplink throttling and download caps kick in randomly and make you remember this is not an intensive usage service.

I've been disconnected for going over bandwidth several times, and their self-care website does not function properly for checking your usage levels. Customer service is very difficult to deal with as a professional technician myself and getting replacement hardware when it has been broken has been like pulling teeth.

That said, its the fastest speed available and I'm addicted to the low latency high bandwidth when its typically available.

Comments:

Review by deekay0 See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
Good "Reliable connection, okay customer service."
Bad "Usage caps too low."
Overall "A bit too expensive for such low usage caps."

Bandwidth caps too low!
I had Cogeco for two months and I was suspended for going 40GB over my 60GB cap. Cogeco will disconnect you for going over the cap and force you to call them to restore it. Each subsequent disconnect results in a longer suspension.
I would prefer that they would just charge me instead and leave my connection up. I used to use VoiP with my e911 service through Cogeco and find it 100% unacceptable that their disconnections would cause me to be with out 911 service.

I have left Cogeco for Teksavvy. Unfortunately the low caps were a deal breaker. Otherwise Cogeco is pretty good.

member for 12.8 years, 256 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by Barry See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
Good "Great speed and good customer service."
Bad "Rates go up every year yet the bandwidth cap stays the same."
Overall "Reliable and fast, but the bandwidth limits aren't on par with the speed."

I've been using Cogeco High Speed Internet since they lowered their price from $70/mo. to around $40/mo. This would be approximately 2 years after 'The Wave' was introduced and was a giant leap from the handshaking days of dial-up. Ordering it was simple as I was already a Cogeco customer and a technician had it all setup within 24 hours of it being placed.

Back then there was no download cap, the customer service meant an hour wait in the least and outages were very common. All of this was easily overlooked as the only other alternative was dial-up.

As for downright awful experiences, I've had a couple. One time I had an outage for over 24 hours and they couldn't send a technician for 3 weeks. To make matters worse they offered to take half off my monthly internet bill. The other event involved their refer a friend promotion. I signed up 3 friends, 2 of which were signed up in person at an @Home (where are they now?) seminar they hosted and the other over the phone. They chose to honour 1/3 of these and even getting that one took a a great deal of effort. It's a good thing I'm basing this review on the present and not the past.

Now their service has matured a great deal. The speeds are great, the customer service is much, much better, and I haven't had any downtime in years. The only downside is their 60GB combined bandwidth cap that doesn't do their speed justice.

I always make sure I stay within limit, but that means not downloading all the demos and games I want on my consoles and being diligent with other bandwidth intensive content. Personally, I think they should have grandfathered the customers who were not part of the bandwidth cap. It's also unfortunate that the only other option is to pay $25 more for the pro package when all I want is more bandwidth and not speed.

All in all, the quality is great and would be perfect if they relaxed their cap a little. For those who aren't heavy users, this is the service to get if you crave speed.

member for 5.9 years, 2755 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by InFloW See Profile

• Location: Fergus,ON
Good "Great Speeds"
Bad "Tech support is not great when it's an area wide issue"
Overall "Great speeds if your area is not having congestion issues"

Things have been great with Cogeco for almost three years now with almost 0 issues. After the rebuild almost 3 years ago I've been getting a consistent 16mbit download and 1mbit upload. My pings have also become very consistent with very few spikes compared to before when there was a lot of congestion.

I'd say the only real knock is from the past when tech support were not aware of problems that were affecting entire area's. Several times it's taken me posting on broadbandreports forums in order to find out it was a global issue. There could be some room for improvement in having the tech support know of ongoing issue's in area's.

member for 12.2 years, 2914 visits, last login: 1.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by wowproducts See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "Great Speeds"
Bad "Fails To Notify of planned outages for rebuild/repair"
Overall "Great When Not Working On The Line"

They are quite helpful but lack the ability to tell anyone of rebuild of system well in kingston anyways. as for bandwidth caps...I don't worry about them as I Don't worry much as 120Gig is alot of space....but i play games, download and upload movies and music all the time and not once gone over the bandwidth. we are pleased with there service but looking to move to different service but unfortunatlly not other highspeed is really available in the area. we have 16mbps down and 1mbps up

Comments:

Review by jpq See Profile

• Location: Cornwall,ON
Good "at this point"
Bad "I'd say it's even a bad place to work judging how they handle customers"
Overall "full of empty promises"

I've been told by a supervisor that his supervisor says I'm a no win customer and that they will tend to bigger problems elsewhere b4 fixing the congestion issues in Cornwall. Per customer service today that is now postponed til sometime within the calendar year of 2009. Poor connection 'latency' due too much traffic on one node was to have been split is sept 08 to resolve the issue budget permitting. So four years later we still pay but get less than what is promised and again another placation that sometime in the future they will look after the issues. I pity all the poor customers who think it's there computer or their skills impeading the performance they should be getting and have paid for. A cogeco speed test proves out great results, yes but try learning how to do a "tracert" and do it to cogeco even, to find out your true performance. You might not be as tolerant & much less impressed with the results than they would have you believe. In fairness I admit to receiving 3 months credit for three years of poor service after they ripped up my lawn and driveway to splice the main line and the line to the house to pick up a 25db gain per one of their employees.

johnq

Comments:

Review by Yonsil See Profile

• Location: Fort Erie,ON
Good "Speed (http), local customer service, stability & consistency"
Bad "Such a low cap for such price, Upload, throttling share"
Overall "Good ...if you don't download or have a family of 3 and up."

I had Cogeco Internet when I first moved to my town. It was AWESOME. Speed & Blazing speed. I couldn't ask for more.
Then came the throttling and unreasonable bandwidth cap. Unfortunately, I left but I still have Digital TV with them so I didn't feel so bad.
But here, I am back again due to my transfer to this humble condominium where I study hard for post-secondary education.

Hi Cogeco !