Cincinnati Bell page on DSLReports

Review by ts1884 See Profile

• Location: Florence,Boone,KY
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Slow intermittent service"
Overall "Not a good deal"

Ordered Zoomtown on a Monday and home phone on Thursday of the same week. Tech showed up Thursday to check connections for Zoomtown but modem hadn't arrived yet. Said connections were fine. That was a lie. Modem arrived later Thursday but wouldn't power on. I had to take the modem to Cinn Bell or wait until they ship another. Second modem didn't work. Cinn Bell did a diagnostics from their end, India I think, and said the modem was bad. Back to Cinn Bell. Third modem didn't work. Called Cinn Bell. Another tech was sent days later. In the mean time, home phone was to be turned on the following day of the order, Friday. Called them at 5:30pm to find out what time service was going to on and was told "by 7pm". That was a lie. Called customer service on Saturday and was told service would not be on until the following Wednesday. After complaining, Cinn Bell expedited the order to be on Saturday between 5 & 7pm. That was a lie. To wrap this up... it took about ten days, three tech visits, three tech diagnostics from their office chairs, four lies from customer service, 16 hours of lost work waiting on techs to arrive, 8 hours on the phone w/thech support / customer service, from start to finish to get internet and phone working only to find out I can't use my VOIP when Xbox is on, I am paying for 5mps service and getting from 482kbps to 1.3mps download speed because that's the limit for my neighborhood due to old equipment provided by Cincinnati Bell. Seems to me when they tell you you'll get 5 megs and your charged for it, you should get that speed. As much as I came to dislike the cable company...I NEVER had a problem with service, just pricing. I guess it's true, you get what you pay for.

Comments:

Review by Franklin See Profile

• Location: Fairfield,Butler,OH
  • Telco party Cincinnati Bell
Good "used to be pretty fast"
Bad "seems now that they put fiops up the street (not us yet) speed sucks"
Overall "I want speed but who knows when FiOps will come - plans are secret"

We live on winding hilly road. Large subdivision up the street and down the hill, they are served by different substations. We begged for a DSL line 12 years ago and have had mostly good service. But now FiOps going in up the street where our service comes from and now our speed has dropped. We can't get cable unless we pay to have line run up the street (we use SAT TV). Cinti Bell tells me they don't know when or if FiOps is coming my way, they keep that a secret. I am willing to pay for speed but no one can tell me how to get it.

Comments:

Review by Adelphia See Profile

• Location: Cincinnati,Hamilton,OH
Bad "ok"

I considered Time Warner cable, but after paying for the service and then paying for equipment and other fees, was way higher.

Took them a bit to get service working because lines were not connected and could not get to me for several days.

Next could not get wi-fi to work after a hour with tech support "I" figured out it did not like special keys in the password.

Then when tried to get xbox connected, was told "they don't support it.

Price is good, service not so good.

Would still consider keeping if xbox could work.

Only got the service for internet and the xbox and now can't use for xbox.

Comments:

Niko

@cinbell.com

I can help...

What kind of gateway do you have?

You need to setup port forwarding for your XBOX.

If you tell me which gateway you have I can walk you through it.
Adelphia

join:2006-12-29
US

Re: I can help...

Thanks but just gave up and quit service.

Niko

@cinbell.com

Re: I can help...

Sorry to hear that.

Review by toolman25 See Profile

• Telco party Cincinnati Bell
Good "Good Picture quality Faster internet speeds, bundling"
Bad "picture freezes intermittently not all the time and bad phone support"
Overall "Good for the price and Picture Quality"

I finally qualify for Fioptics through Fiber to the Node. I ordered through Cincinnati Bell sales person. Getting installed was slow, installer did not have drill left at home. The installer had to rig new phone line in existing cable hole and twist tied the phone line on the cable line. Had 1 HD DVR and 4 HD boxes with whole home DVR. The boxes they provided were made by ZTE and the router they provided was a ZYXEL with an adapter for the TV to connect to the existing coax cables. After the install everything worked until it rained. Then no internet connection and static on landline. Got somebody out that day traced it to a problem on the street. The tech said it was an open local and that they fixed the problem. After that I have had no problems when it rains or snows. I even got their 30 megabyte internet. ZYXEL Modem was provisioned to 50 megabytes to support the TV and internet service. Will update if anything changes.

February 2013

Went to Time Warner Cable.

Had issues with my internet dropping and constant picture freezes on tv. Had three techs out said their was no problems at all, and everything looked fine.

Plus I was able to get the $200.00 Gift card and a good promotion for becoming a cable customers. I decided to get their signature home service. I will write a review for Time Warner Cable when I am done trying it out.

Comments:

Review by jduffy See Profile

• Location: Cincinnati,Hamilton,OH
Good "Reliable"
Bad "Slow, line prone to interference, have to bundle to get $40 price"
Overall "For a few more, bucks a month, Road Runner is much faster"

I was a long-time Cincinnati Bell Zoomtown subscriber. Gosh, I think it was more than eight years. Zoomtown was reliable, but being a ham radio operator, anytime I used any real power (greater than 25 watts) to my high frequency transmitters, Zoomtown would lose the link. This was a major problem especially when I moved one of my Cincinnati Bell land-lines to VOIP with Vonage. The other issue is the ADSL2 was supposed to be installed over a year ago to take the speed up to be competitive against Road Runner. It never happened. I think Cincinnati Bell is in such bad financial shape over the acquisition and disposition of Broadwing, that they simply cannot invest in their network.

Several weeks ago, I ordered a trial of Business Class Road Runner. 768 up and 6 down. I could also run my own servers for web (I could do this on Zoomtown) and email (I could not run email servers on Zoomtown). Also, RR gives me a dedicated IP address. The price is $59.95, about $20 more than Zoomtown. But ultimately I will move the home phone to VOIP. I am now paying Cincinnati Bell $40 for the Complete Connections phone package now, so when I go to VOIP that will run $25 a month so the net difference is $5.

I gave RR a try while keeping Zoomtown. Wow, what a difference in speed. I mean it is incredible and the upload is a bit faster than Zoomtown. So I had Zoomtown disconnected and keeping RR.

There was one other issue with Zoomtown. Tremendous latency with some websites - click and wait and wait and wait. Many other ZT users said it was problems with the DNS servers.

If I did not have the interference issue and if the speed would have been upgraded, I probably would have stayed with Zoomtown. But ZT stopped being competitive around here against RR, so I got tired of waiting and made the move. I am glad I did.

Now getting almost 10Mbs download and 1.5 Mbs upload with Road Runner. I have not seen anything comparable with Zoomtown. It was worth the change.

Still glad I made switch to Road Runner.

July 2012 Update - Cincinnati Bell has been rolling out their Fibre Service in some areas of their market but it is still not in my community. I think the reason is that they have so much debt they cannot afford to really roll their service out to the entire market.

I did move from Business Class to Turbo Consumer Road Runner to get a better discount from Time Warner.

December 2012 - If Cincinnati Bell would ever get Fioptics out this way, I would like to give it a try. I understand for the money, it is a lot faster than Time Warner. Why it is not here yet is a mystery. CBT is just so slow to do anything. Not a serious competitor in this market anymore.

Comments:

Review by phrozendemon See Profile

• Location: Newport,Campbell,KY
  • Telco party Cincinnati Bell

First let me say that I am not satisfied with some of the business choices made by CinBell. To begin the call center was outsourced to the Philippians, I understand that this cuts cost, however one of the most important parts of a business is customer facing support.

The second issue I have is that you fail to invest in fiber optic cable in new subdivisions. My home is 4-5 years old in a new subdivision and has all underground utilities. Insight (now owned by TWC) installed FTTH (Fiber to the home) in every home, while you chose to use copper. I understand that this was would be a large investment for you to spend, however the cost of digging up every underground cable and replacing this wire is massively more. As far as a return on investment according to your Q1 2012 results your reported 147k locations with fioptics and 40k subscribers. That would make equal a market penetration rate of about 27%, would seems good to me.

When I talked to your service rep, I tried to tell her that I have been having problems all week with no dial tone, a 60Hz hum on the line caused most likley by a short somewhere in the line. A tech came out and was able to resolve this issue on two occasions this week but he was unable to find a root cause for the issue and advised that if I had more problems to call back and setup an appointment. But the issue keeps reoccurring.

I have been a Zoomtown users since it was first started in the 384k days, and never had problems. I moved to a new house 4-5 years ago and still had rock solid service, until this week. After your representative spoke with her supervisor she advised me that copper wires degrade over time and there is a performance drop. I partially agree with this statement, yes copper wiring is sensitive to heat, humidity, UV, and other issues that can cause stretching of the wire and degradation of the plastic jackets. However my wiring is all underground and direct burial underground wire is wrapped in layers of aluminum, plastics, and water resistant gel. There is no exposure to the elements, even the SNI has gel to resist humidity in it. My understanding of this is that the source of degradation would be the telephone wires to my subdivision that would wear out causing problems with multiple homes in my neighborhood. I do not think that its a coincidence that me losing dial tone multiple times a week and slow unstable internet happening together and in the same week are a coincidence and a result of the age of the copper wire.

None the less the supervisor at the call center made the decision for me of switching to fiber, telling me that since I do not have fioptics but rather copper wire that the signal would degrade over time. I have scheduled an appointment to have Insight Communications come out and enable FTTH DOCSIS 3.0 internet service. A solid stable 10mbits sounds better to me than 3.5 for $30 a month. Also having the option for higher speeds up to 50mbits is nice for future proofing. Why is 3.5mbits not good enough?, well Netflix HD steams at 4.8 mbits, Youtube 1080p videos stream at up to 8mbits. These are all popular services used by millions of customers.

In conclusion I suggest that you remember the needs of your customers, sure a lot of people don't even know what a megabit is and just use the internet for simple browsing, however there is a large portion of people that use it for much more. (Netflix has 26.5 million subscribers in the US and 10% of youtube's popular videos are in 1080p with much more in 720p)

Comments:

Review by rtm330 See Profile

• Location: Dayton,Montgomery,OH
  • Telco party Cincinnati Bell
Good "The POTS seems to work fine in a sea of AT&T"
Bad "I had 5Mbps until *they* dialed me back"

5Mpbs (but throttled to 4Mbps, which nets approx 3200 down in real measurement).

The install went fine. I had DSL since 2000 thru AT&T, so I knew the drill.

»Connection buffoonery in Dayton

It was a nice touch when the Level 2 tech lady I talked to flipped a switch in putting me "back", and it completely fouled the line in real time. I got the message -- I knew that no matter what I said or did from that point, they weren't going to restore me to where I was. Or my neighbors, for that matter.

So, Cincinnati Bell -- if you're listening -- hear me:

- I was literally this (fingers held up with a millimeter between them) close to pursuing you for wireless service. You could've made a buttload of money from me and the four phones I'd probably end up buying from you. But no, you taught me that, yeah, we'll provide you with the service we promise for awhile, but when we dial you back, that's just tough for you, and we won't do a thing about it because we don't have to. Except of course, to expect you to keep paying the same amount for less service. That's your choice.

- My friend pays $43 a month for Uverse ... and it's awfully tempting, particularly with the various offers available from AT&T. The only thing that keeps me from switching is that AT&T and Time Warner use different Jedi Mind Tricks.

• Location: Mason,Warren,OH
Good "Consistent speed, IPTV solid, bundle cheaper than alternative"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "It works as well as promised"

We have had Cincinnati Bell FiOptics for serval months now in the Mason, OH area. It just works. We have the 30/10 Mbps internet service and we consistently get 28.5/9 Mbps using Speedtest.net no matter the time of day. The IPTV, whole house dvr, and VOIP services have been problem free thus far. The best part is that it is much cheaper than Time Warner plus the phone company phone on the wall rip off.

(review was emailed from domain zoomtown.com)

Comments:

Review by miker104 See Profile

• Location: Union,Boone,KY
  • Telco party Cincinnati Bell
Bad "Getting slower and more expensive"
Overall "Go somewhere else if that is an option"

Ok so I have had CB DSL since 2004. Coming from dial up I thought I was in heaven. As I stayed longer the speed slows down to the most recent speed test:

ZoomTown HighSpeed
Last Result:
Download Speed: 314 kbps (39.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 356 kbps (44.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 274 ms
© Copyright 2007 Cincinnati Bell

I've call the Philippines (3rd party provider) at least twice and all they can offer is to tell me to turn the router modem Off and On. Gee I can figure out that all by myself.

When I do that the speed goes to

Last Result:
Download Speed: 653 kbps (81.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 425 kbps (53.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Latency: 33 ms

They tell me that 653kbps is "within range". Just over 1/10th of the "up to 5MBps" they advertise

I'm done. Their customer service is out sourced, can't send an email directly to them. Goodbye cincy bell!

Comments:

Thom

@epa.gov

I left 3 weeks ago and am happy

Agree that zoomtown was slow and dropping us constantly from internet. To describe our service as highspeed is a stretch. Left CB for TWC and am very pleased. CB customer service was awful too. We notified them to close account and received verification account would be closed on Monday. This is 7 days in advance. I cleaned up my email @fuse.net quickly but wife waited until weekend. CB closed account on Saturday (two days early) morning and when complained manager said sorry if you want to sign up for another month ($30 minimum price) you can do that. Bunch of BS after not sticking to written notice. I hear they are having serious economic problems and they likely deserve it based upon their product and service.

Review by algab See Profile

Good "Bundle packages"
Bad "Their DSL service"
Overall "Had DSL service over 10 years and it keeps getting worst."

I had their DSL ever since it came out and rode with the up's and down of their service and this week working with their service staff was the final straw. They do advertise up to 5mbps and I do live less that 1 mile from a Central Office and I can only get between 400kbps to 1.3mbps today where just several months ago i was getting 2.8 to 3.1mbs according to my test results on this website. They were only able to get me up to 1.3mbps today from 200 - 400 kbps and told me there were going to get some upgrades and my speed should be better. I had a decent speed and I don't know what better will be? Speed that I once had and now lost? Customer service is bad and there are no other real options available because I won't see their Fioptics service coming to my neighborhood anytime soon. Have Directv with CB on their bundle package love it more than TWC so I am stuck.