SaskTel Saskatchewan page on DSLReports

Review by DreamCarr See Profile

• Location: Melfort,SK
Good "reliable DSL"
Bad "customer service is dropping"
Overall "Apathetic."

I intitially signed up with sympatico DSL back in the winter 1999, shortly after it first came out in my city. i was impressed with the speed then, but I would loose connection at times. Then i had to cancel my subscription due to financial reasons. When i re-signed up, in august of 2k, it only took a week for the tech to be at my house to get the filter installed. the connection worked right away and reliably ever since. i havent had any disconnects or trouble with the email servers like some people have, and i get good speed (1359/110) at all hours of the day

*update*

switched to Shaw HS cable internet, it was ok for about a month or two, then the speeds got discustingly slow. so i switched back to DSL... low pings, (only 4 blocks from CO hehe) and speed...all the way!!

*update*

moved to a new city, got the basic bundle again... has worked awsome since day of install... i'm going to be moving in with the g/f soon and will probably bump up my service to 2000/384.. so i'll post another update then

*update*

signed up for the MAX ulitmate bundle with my grilfriend ($119 for all the channels + movie central) and under the U of S student promo and the current promo, i'm going to be able to get ultimate max for $79.99 a month for the frist 6 months, with the frist month FREE and $10off/month for another 6 months (to one full year). this is an awsome price for apporx 100+channels (fully digital, not like shaws tier 3 analog, rest digital) and about 30+ digital music channels as well as basic high-speed service (1500/128) i have heard that with MAX your speed cap goes up, or is taken off (depending on installation) due to the MAX sharing the pipe with the dsl signal... if you turn off your set-top box it supposedly shunts the extra bandwidth to your PC.. i'll have to test that though

*update*

moving to a new city, and maintaning my HS Classic bundle, but loosing the max service, as its not offered here. also loosing my 384 upload, its back to 128 now. kinda annoyed, but hey.. i'm still getting good speed

*update*

at the new place, have heard rumors of the MAX service coming to the new town in 2005, so excited about that as the extreme and plus packages should come with it (5/7meg packages)

*update*

still no MAX service. gaming alot more and really missing the 384 upload. i'd also love more downstream, seeing's as everyone is starting to move to 3mb standard packages it seems.

*update*

sasktel recently rolled out 5/640 upgrades to anyone within 2.5km of the CO, in most of the major centers. I'm lovin it. Much awaited boost in speed, and so welcome lol.

*update*

still good solid service, no bittorrent throttling and decent PINGs to gaming services.

*update 7/15/2013*

Service is still good, but watching larger centres get fibre to the home and lower prices really starts to bum a customer out. Also, customer service has taken a nose dive over the last few years.

Comments:

Review by severender See Profile

• Location: Luseland,SK
Good "Good solid connection, decent price."
Bad "Their tech support could be better."
Overall "It has nice quality internet at a decent price. That's it."

I have a job as an oil rig inspector and I move a lot across North America and in those times when I had to live in rural Saskatchewan (which was about 3 times), I picked SaskTel as my Internet and phone providers.

I don't live in the rural town of Luseland any more but I think their service is the best in Saskatchewan.

Their connection is stable and solid, with a decent price of $45 for 5 mbs, but I bundled and it's only at $25 for Internet. After I moved got a note in the mail from Sasktel saying that my internet speed would be going up! I was happy, my price didn't even budge. I like that there are no contracts and that they just bill monthly, it's the best way to go.

Their tech support is sub par. I occasionally had to call SaskTel regarding a modem problem. Like this one time I called them up and asked for tech support and they transferred me to billing. When I was transferred I asked to be transferred to tech support, they said "Sorry, we are closed, could you call us back tomorrow?". They just blatantly hung up on me after that. I called back and in less than 5 minutes I was talking with tech support.

The only equipment I got was a 2Wire branded system, some wires and a complimentary telephone. That was unneeded. I called SaskTel and a guy came and reactivated the phone lines (which haven't been activated for 3 years surprisingly). After that it was smooth sailing. About 4 days from start to finish.

The final price for the bundled Phone and Internet was about $45 which was fine.

Comments:

Review by techstable See Profile

• Location: Saskatoon,SK
Good "Bundling saves you a bunch on this ISP! Clean connection! Promo's every week!"
Bad "Costly for not much. Tech support doesn't measure up to the prices."
Overall "A good, reliable company but needs to lower prices and get better tech support."

I bought SaskTel a couple years ago because I had to move to Saskatoon on business and I have never had a problem with them. Phoned them a couple of weeks ago due to a problem with my modem; I called and they said they would call me back which they did but I had to be transfered 3 times to get to the right support station (this took me 1/2 an hour to complete). Anyway back to the review. I would trust SaskTel not because of the speed (which leaves much to be desired due to the cost), but the reliability; mainly because I never had one problem with the connection. The only cons I can think of are the prices; it costs $100 (unbundled) for a plan that only includes 25 mbps internet! But if you bundle you save about $50 (phone, home security, cellular, Max TV) off your monthly bill. Installation wasn't a hassle at all, our serviceman was nice and helpful, he set up everything I ordered (phone, internet).

Thank you for reading my review.

Comments:

Review by Tikker_LoS See Profile

• Location: Regina,SK
Good "Reliable, decent download speeds, good package of services"
Bad "Faster upload would be nice"
Overall "Good value for $$, less companies to deal with"

DSL is 5000/640 profile. Get consistently good speeds for download, with very rare (unexpected) outages.

Install was very professional, and neat. The time from order to working installation was about a week or 10 days. Service worked the 1st time

The TV portion (MAX) is great. Basically get the same channels as Cable, but service is more like a Satellite (much better channel guide)

bundling the TV with the highspeed access was cheaper than the cable offering, or buying each seperately

Really satisfied to date, and just recently SaskTel has changed the DSL profile to 5000/640 (I'm getting it July 8/2004)

EDIT:

it's been a year since I upgraded to the 5000/640 profile
DSL hasn't been down once yet (that I've noticed anyways, and that's about all that counts)
the TV looks good, new features added all the time

EDIT: Mar 20/06

Received a flyer with the latest bill stating that HDTV, and up to 4 set top boxes, so really good news~

Still haven't had an internet outtage yet. TV has had some minor glitches, but nothing major to note.

EDIT: Sept20/06

New 2wire gateways are now being installed to replace the old generic westell modems. The first 1 I got was very flaky (the internal webpage kept dying, but it kept passing traffic, so mostly just inconvenient) but the 2nd seems fine. They have built in 4 port switch, and Wireless access point so kind of a nice option. Let me remove 1 switch, and 1 old router

EDIT: Mar16/07

The 2wires just suck, otherwise things are good. There's a known bug in the wireless chipset with these boxes which causes inconveniences, but no outages

I'm mostly satisfied with MAX, but I'd like to go to HD eventually. not quite enough HD channels out there to really warrant the change yet (and lack of a big screen HDTV )

EDIT: Mar11/08

Newer firmware on the 2Wires has solved all complaints. No noticed outtages to date in the last year, and service just works.

Still contemplating HDTV

EDIT: Oct 16/08

Have finally made the move to HDTV. using the motorola vip1200 DTVR can watch 1 HD stream, and record another in the background (or record 2 at a time, and watch something previously recorded)

The PVR software itself isn't great, but is a work in progress, and improved from time to time. the HD picture itself looks great, and I'm very happy with it.

I got HD really specifically for Hockey season, and Football, and I'm very impressed with how much better these look

faster internet speeds are available (10/1) but I don't fill up my 5mb connection all that often, so don't see much point to upgrading (I'm actually considering dropping back to the 1.5 tier and saving 10 bucks)

member for 10.3 years, 2601 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by boyio2006 See Profile

• Location: Prince Albert,SK
Good "Fast and bundled on one bill"
Bad "no center ice"
Overall "if u want to be billed on one bill, get the service"

I have Sasktel for over a year and a half now and still no problem to report since I had from day one.

I get everything on one bill and get the equipment for free (equipment covers by one monthly fee) No need to purchase them.

If u want to be billed for everything, this is the service for everybody.

No PVR or High Def yet, they said they will be available this year. I want to try them out once they get them going.

The only thing i can say is there is no center ice yet. Also there is a big improvement on the service. We now have vdsl2 now so this means we can have two tuners instead of one.

no problems as of late which is always good.

Comments:

Review by the_dukester See Profile

• Location: Tisdale,SK
  • Telco party Primary Network
Good "Friendly local workers"
Bad "erractic speeds, speed limits for small communities"
Overall "not bad when it is all you have"

none

Comments:

Review by jkshow See Profile

• Location: Regina,SK
Good "None"
Bad "Bit Torrent greatly impaired, resets all services incl. TV periodically"
Overall "Not for serious internet users"

My package combined with Max TV service is supposed to give me 1.5 DL and 386 UL. However, when I have my second Max TV box turned on, it eats up my internet bandwidth without exception. Cuts it by 40 per cent consistently.

Wireless router included with service is susceptible to 2.4 Ghz phone use from you or your neighbours. Not only does it cut internet service, but also TV service because the central modem is disabled.

Bit Torrent use: Running a Bit Torrent program on SaskTel internet causes major problems. It will turn off the high speed modem and have it reset itself over and over, usually every ten minutes or so. This also disrupts your TV service! I have to use Bit Torrent only over night while my family is sleeping or they get very upset.

Skype and Joost are also not reliable because of the Bit Torrent issues.

Needless to say, I'm very unhappy with this service.

(It's the 2Wire modem/wi-fi module that gets confused during phone calls or Bit Torrent operation.)

Comments:

Review by olson71 See Profile

Good "speed is OK when it runs"
Bad "the connection cuts out randomly when i use utorrent. which is kind of a make or brake point."
Overall "i think i might switch to shaw and see if i can get a reliable connection."

I would understand if they decided to limit the download and upload when people use file sharing programs but to cut the connection completely is just disgraceful. Absolute rubish.

Comments:

Review by SniperSlap See Profile

• Location: Saskatoon,SK
Good "Very nice employees for the most part."
Bad "Recent 2Wire equipmet is too bloated"
Overall "You may have to fight for quality, but it IS there."

I signed up for SaskTel's MAX service. The television service is awesome (as an aside), easily beats Shaw's and is 50% of why I stuck on for so long.

The other half of the service which is Internet was a bit more complicated.

Scheduling the installation was no hassle and everyone was very friendly. I've had other interactions with SaskTel and they are a very friendly company with good response to important customer concerns.

For installation, I asked that I have the modem in a computer room (second bedroom), and the television and analog phone in the living room. This is so that I can have a computer room and a living room setup...Fairly obvious.

The installer went on to set it up so that my modem/gateway/whatever-beast would be beside my bed in my bedroom, with one CAT-5/RJ45 running to the computer room and another running to the television (max connects usig CAT-5/RJ-45).

He was a bit annoyed that I didn't want my 2Wire modem in my bedroom on the floor beside my bed and I told him to do the extra work because that was how I wanted it. It seemed stupid to just have a modem sitting in the middle of a room where it had nothing to do with what it accomplished.

I somewhat understood his confusion later on as I began to learn how useless and overbearing the 2Wire equipment is.

This was my first REAL problem. The 2Wire equipment....

This device tries to be everything to everyone. Both customer and support staff. But limits you by taking over your network and also offering faulty wireless (known issue).

You cannot disable the firewall. You cannot disable the DHCP server. The device has a strange way of representing connections and offers a confusing glut of options to configure devices that are or HAVE connected to your network. Again, anyone technical will realize that 2Wire has simply designed to the requirements on this one and has put little into assuring a job well done.

Another unmentioned quirk is that the 2Wire modem almost DEPENDS on it's internal DHCP server to give you addresses. It consumes one from SaskTel, but doesn't offer you any others you might have. So again, this 2Wire equipment is not your regular "modem" in the classic sense.

This perculiar architecting just goes along the lines of what I've already said. 2Wire and SaskTel are clearly trying to cooperate, it just isn't working out well for them.

Either way, it took me quite some while to figure out why everything was being so boned. I could not use my Linksys 802.11n router/AP with this monster.

Consequently, wireless access caused it to put sqwaking and chirping noises (as well as video corruption) on my television signal (known issue) - similar to when Bell ExpressVU cuts out during a storm.

All the support staff but one acted surprised by my troubles. This one individual finally made the suggestion of switching to a Westell modem. Which is what I have now.

Now that I have a Westell? My 802.11n serves up some awesome-fast internet to a huge area with a good signal. My television can run at the same time as games and other streaming media...Much better throughput and latency. I get all my IP addresses and I get to use my nice expensive toys the way I want. No more troubles and an internet connection I have control over!

So. SaskTel isn't bad, they are an overall nice company, their technical expertise is limited however. A summary of what to do if you're a new SaskTel customer:

o INSIST that they Swap 2Wire for Westell equipment. Bear in mind that you can only do this if you plan on having just ONE television box. If you want more, you might be able to convince them to just give you additional modems - but I'm not sure.

o Don't pay attention to their phone support staff, they're largely incompetant.

o Reccomend as a customer that SaskTel switch away from 2Wire hardware and seek out a vendor who can provide QUALITY firmware solutions to both the support staff and the customers they stick with this stuff. Overarchitecting the home network is a bloated and scary idea and I refuse to allow any service provider to give me anything more than IP addresses!

Comments:

Review by tmason63 See Profile

• Location: Cudworth,SK
Good "Download speeds are decent generally 180 in the rural"
Bad "Becoming useless for online gaming"
Overall "They're the only game in town and they know it."

I have used Sasktel for my ISP since they came into my town with dialup 4yrs ago. Since then I upgraded to highspeed the minute it was available.

The gaming servers I use are in Chicago and I found that my ping route was taking me first to Vancouver and then back to Toronto before heading south. The extra 2000 kms of travel was explained "as the way it had to go". Then last year it all changed and was heading straight to T.O., which was great. For the past 3 months now it has gone back the other way for most of the servers but not all and due to some high latency issues in San Jose (which last all evening everyday until 1-2 am) it is unusable. The frontline tech I talked to said there is nothing that can be done and suggested I try switching to Access which is a cruel joke as they are the only provider here.

Not sure what else I can do, I included a couple of tracerts as examples

Via San Jose

17 297 ms as-2-0.bbr1.Chicago1.Level3.net [64.159.4.225]
18 300 ms ge-7-2.ipcolo1.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.68.101.170]
19 297 ms [8.9.11.7]

Ping statistics for 8.9.11.7
Packets: Sent = 1, Received = 1, Lost = 0 (0.0%)
Round Trip Times: Minimum = 297ms, Maximum = 297ms, Average = 297ms

13 61 ms so2-1-0.j1.ord.scnet.net [64.202.110.13]
14 74 ms ge0-1-1000M.ar1.ChicagoEquinix.velocity-servers.net [66.225.194.1]
15 63 ms unknown.Chicago.velocity-servers.net [66.225.194.22]

Ping statistics for unknown.Chicago.velocity-servers.net
Packets: Sent = 1, Received = 1, Lost = 0 (0.0%)
Round Trip Times: Minimum = 63ms, Maximum = 63ms, Average = 63ms

Any help would be appreciated