MTS page on DSLReports

Review by mazhurg See Profile

• Location: Portage La Prairie,MB
Good "Simple, reliable, no limits (so far)"
Bad "Mandates modem rent, Latency spikes at times"
Overall "Ok ISP, nothing special"

As part of a move from Ontario to Manitoba, I contacted MTS in July in order to have services ready on my actual move in August.

Got charged as of 1st August even though they were told that the service was not required for the latter part of the month. On moving day, found no connection at location, 1) modem was sent to the wrong address and 2) building inside wiring was not connected (to their credit this was not their fault and they actually sent a tech on a Saturday to fix this.

They force a modem rental, even after being told that this customer had proper and compatible modems. (to this day, their modem is in the mailed box).

Speeds are OK, 7/1 and fairly close. No limits on up/down that I could discern either on their AUP or documentation, also up time is nearly 100%. However, in my case the point is moot as I do not use large amount of bandwith in aggregate.

I do have some issues with latency, which can run anywhere from 150 at times. Not excessive, but occasionally annoying for a gamer.

Overall, little to say since the initial problems were ironed out. Overall all I got to say is that it just works.

-- Update May 14 2010: Upped the reliability +1 to 5 as I must say I have yet to lose connection in 9 months.

-- Update Feb 2011: For about 2-3 weeks now, much jitter on the line and most streaming inbound is slow ( 2mb/s), yet speed test appear to be fine.

Latency tests are showing edge routers, especially towards lvl3 spiking and it is possible that the issues are with those.

Lowered connection rating, and will further if this issue is not addressed.

-- Update Jan 2014 - Excellent connection, no issues since last update.

member for 10.3 years, 5654 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by JBFEHR See Profile

• Location: Morden,MB
Good "at times very good speed"
Bad "most times, it seems they throttle download"
Overall "the are the only game in our service area"

equipment - speed stream 5360 modem.

very slow on initial installation

Frequent disconnections, had MTS tech support? check it, the guy says everything is fine. A month later called again to tech support, they sent another guy, checked their wiring, turned out wires were crossed with someone elses service. He rewired, all good for a few days, and now it's back to were was - connect, disconnect, connect, disconnect, connect.....

I've my had my modem/router replaced about a half dozen times (on tech advice), but still the same problems. Currently using Actiontec GT701D with updated firmware.

It would be nice if they could get their act together so we could get the service we pay for! Recently (Julu2011) got MTS cable. They promised to bury the cable in 2 weeks. It's now Jan 8/12, ground frozen and....... cable still above ground across the lawn!

Finally got buried in July. Nice mess on the lawn.

Comments:

Review by VikingBob See Profile

• Location: Ste Anne,MB
Good "Very consistent speeds, very little downtime"
Bad "Email? You're forced to use Windows Live Mail to keep your @mts.net email address"
Overall "Better than my experience with Shaw"

Jan. 2, 2012
The email service from MS's "live" service for POP3 is somewhat better, and there are some extra features to make password resets much easier for your former mts email accounts. Preferred the former email service, though.

As for the uptime and speeds, very consistent and reliable. Can't complain there. Still waiting for this area to get better speeds and MTS TV...

March 31, 2011.
Windows Live email service still flaky. Nothing new there. Speeds still consistent. It would be nice if MTS brought their TV service and higher speeds to this town, though.

Dec. 7, 2010.
I still dislike the switch to Windows Live for email - numerous errors daily when my email client "gets mail."

As for the rest of it... the speed is still very good and consistent, and very rarely does the router drop the connection. It's been several weeks since it dropped and I got a new IP address. Now if they'd up the personal webspace amount...

Oct. 28, 2010.
Well, I migrated one email account To Windows Live Mail. Fooey! If you use a desktop email client, you will find that everything still sits on Live - inbox items, sent items (sent via your desktop email client), deleted items. So, if you want to keep your emails off the internet, you now have to log into Live Mail and delete this stuff, when it shouldn't be there in the first place. Anything sent via POPS or SMTPS shouldn't be saved. A big Thumbs Down to MTS for this decision, and to Microsoft, for this lousy configuration.

May 2, 2010
MTS has decided to use Windows Live as their email provider, and have sent out emails telling you how to switch/configure to use the Live servers. I got my email about this back in early February... Being a stubborn chap some days, I have not done so, and am still able to use the mts.net servers to send/receive email, three months later.

This move by MTS has left a foul taste in my mouth...

They also shut down their newsgroup servers: »MTS shutters newsgroup server

On the upside, the service has been fairly reliable, for the most part.

June 24, 2009
Lightning MAX is now faster, but it's not available out here in the sticks. So now I'm just "Lightning," but it's $10 cheaper, and the download speed seems to be the same. Upload, about half what it was.

January 2009... Everything is still running fine. No troubles at all. Still humming along nicely! Still wishing for bigger web space, though...
July 2008...
Speed is even better over the last year or so, up to over 6700 Megabits/sec. No technical issues, no downtime, no caps on downloads/uploads. Worldwide, spam is up, but my inbox sees even less than before. Less than 1 per week.
The only thing I'd like to see is more storage for your "webspace." 15 MB isn't enough for a personal website. I'd gladly trade a pile of all that email storage for web space. I don't need 1 GB of email storage.

Updated April 12, 2006: MTS has beefed up the email - now up to 10 email inboxes, total storage 1 GB. Maximum of 200 MB per email address.... Message size still limited, though, to a maximum of 10 MB. I've not been able to send attachments larger than 5 MB.

As for spam, what spam? Spam filtering is quite good now. I maybe get one a week, if that. Usually from Japan, in Japanese. Maybe the spam filter doesn't read Japanese...

Speed has been pretty good, and consistent. Generally at least 4500 Megabits/sec, up to over 4800 now and then.

Downtime has been extremely low. They seem to be getting better, and it wasn't too bad before.

My only complaint is that your personal web space is still limited to 15 MB. That could be bigger.

I've had the Lightning Speed for a while now, and it smokes along pretty good. Depending on the site, I get from 3500 to 4500 Mbps. Not bad for being 20 minutes outside of Winnipeg.

MTS has also improved the email options considerably. Up to 5 accounts, 15 MB per account. But that can be edited - if you need just one account, you can use all your space for that one account. The spam filter is very good - less that 1 per week sneaks through. It also lets you have several aliases for each email account. Very nice...

And now they offer ZoneAlarm Security Suite for free! So I nabbed that. Licence is good for up to three installations, for 20 YEARS. Can't beat that!

I'm quite satisfied with MTS.

UPDATE: Just now in the process of upgrading to "Lightning Speed" DSL, 5000 down, 400 up. The line in the house has been upgraded this morning, and just waiting for a call from MTS for the finishing touches... It's about $15 CDN more per month than High Speed DSL.

Service has been good and constant in the past with the regular high speed, but I figured I'd try the "Lightning" out. What the heck. Download speeds from good servers seem to be around 360 Kbps, or 2200 to 2900 kbps. Can't complain. Email problems have gone away, and that's a good thing.

There was some good confusion on MTS's end regarding my upgrade order. The chap I talked to on the phone after applying online seemed to overlook the fact that a service appointment would have to be made to upgrade the line... But that snafu has been dealt with.

Just have to wait for the call.
_______________________________________________________________

We have the home package for $32 and change per month...

It took longer than expected to get hooked up, but I'd signed up before MTS had completed installing their equipment in this wee town. They pushed back the availability date a few times. An authorized dealer for MTS did the actual in-home visit.

We have a router, so no software was required to get going - just configured the router, plug in the modem and away we went. Four machines share the connection. PPPoE with dynamic IP.

Email service is quite good, with a generous 15 MB mailbox size. It has been down once in a while, but not as often as Shaw was when I was using their service. The Spam filtering option they introduced is good - keeps most of it out. The virus scanning needs work - my AV software has still caught several virus-infected emails trying to slip in. And they weren't brand-new viruses, either.

Speed is quite consistent. From 1000 kbps to over 1400 kbps. I can still listen to high-quality streaming audio while another PC downloads huge files, and another PC is being used for voice chat. Lots of bandwidth to go around. I find it's about 4 times faster than Shaw was when I lived in Elmwood in Winnipeg. I'm out in the sticks near Steinbach now.

The MTS internet site could use some work, though. It's hard to find what you're looking for. Getting additional email accounts set up is harder - you could do it yourself online with Shaw - MTS makes you email them, or wait on hold forever to talk to a human and set one up.

15 MB of webspace is included at no extra charge. All you need is the FTP software. Domain name registering would be nice, though. That costs extra...

For the money, better than Shaw. I'll recommend MTS.

Comments:

Review by stimpe7 See Profile

• Location: The Pas,MB
Good "can't think of anything good compared to shaw cable internet"
Bad "tech support, connectivity, speed"

line speed is sub par. when you try to reach tech support you're on hold for at least 30 minutes everytime you call. when you get a tech to come out he's clueless. I bought a business line 7mb download, due to stability issues they had to sync it to a 5mb connection, while still making me pay full price for a slower then promised connection

i've had shaw cable in multiple provinces across canada - far superior speed, stability, and ease of use. don't even think about getting mts, save yourself the headache

Comments:

Review by SniperSlap See Profile

• Location: Winnipeg,MB
Good "Much improved since last we met!"
Bad "Worried about them implementing UBB"
Overall "Support public infrastructure!"

With Shaw's recent move to implement hard caps and per GB overage charges, I decided it was time to move to MTS.

Although my past and present experiences with MTS have been very poor, I was very surprised at how things went this time around.

In my work, I deal with MTS and one of their preferred resellers, IDC. The people doing the work are typically just cable running jocks with not a shred of understanding for the network they work on.

My installer this time around was very knowledgeable and accommodated my special installation instructions to the last letter. So far, I have noticed slightly improved ping times (about 10ms) over my Shaw connection and that is a big surprise. I've always preferred Shaw for their low latency and high speeds. But to see that MTS has improved their ADSL service to such an extent is good news.

To make things even more interesting, the modem MTS uses now is made by a manufacturer that clearly cares about what they do. Even providing a decent amount of support documentation online for their hardware. This supports the idea that MTS may actually have started thinking about these things. The DSL modem has tons of options and several modes of operation to support just about any network configuration.

I am extremely happy with MTS so far and after thinking about it, I realized that by supporting them, I am giving myself a voice. This is of course because MTS operates on public last mile infrastructure in Manitoba. Whereas with Shaw, it seems like customers aren't worth listening to until it's typically too late (Usage based billing).

Comments:

Review by pcguy See Profile

• Location: Winnipeg,MB
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (month by month)
Good "Caps not enforced"
Bad "Inconsistent support system"
Overall "Better than Shaw"

Had service from MTS for TV, phone and Internet. TV PVR is heads over heels light years better than the antiquanted Shaw PVR. The MTS PVR allows one to schedule or watch any recorded shows form any of the TV in the house. The PVR however has a quirk in that it can record 3 shows at once but that will prevent others in the house from watching any other channels. As well the PVR starts recording a couple of minutes before the scheduled start time. At times this results in the system locking out people on other tv from viewing as all 3 streams are in use.

Internet service was fairly consistent however MTS moved their email over to Hotmail/Live mail so it is no longer stored on a Canadian based server but a US one. This means that the email is subject to US law including the Patriot Act as well as being disrupted if Hotmail/Windows Live Mail has problems.

Their phone support system is a bit inconsistent in that it may force you to stay on line for 30+ minutes while other times you may be offered a chance to have an automatic callback done. This is where MTS system will automatically call you back when there is a support person available to take your call. This I feel should be implement when wait time exceeds say 10 mins.

Had the Extreme package for the Internet (15Mbps down and 1Mbps up) as well as Ultimate TV pkg. MTS seems to be a bit inconsistent with offering special pricing to keep one as a customer.

Comments:

Review by jackbrenda See Profile

• Location: Morden,MB
Overall "mediocre at best"

frequent sporadic disconnection with no explainable reason from MTS
Locally, they are the only game in town. Should another ISP manifest itself here, I believe MTS would loose about 50% of it's customer base.

Comments:

Review by Derfel See Profile

• Location: Winnipeg,MB
Good "Excellent reliability, great speed, GREAT cust. service, good HDTV"
Bad "Max. speed slower than Shaw, price high for DSL"
Overall "I've tried the rest, I stuck with the best..."

***Key points: I get 7500/1600 consistently, I have no down time at all. I also get unlimited long distance to Canada and the US, all hours of the day. I used to have $15/mth savings because I had MTS TV, HS internet and AAA home alarm. ***

I was a Shaw customer for a full two years, and had nothing but problems. They wouldn't do anything to rectify a problem they knew was theirs, and when they found out it was their problem (faulty modem), they dragged their feet to fix it.

When I moved into a new condo, I figured it was time to try MTS. Plus, with the MTS TV package, DSL internet and TV combined was cheaper than Shaw Internet and TV.

Installation was a great start - my condo is a bit hard to wire, but the installation guy that came was patient and accomodating, and didn't charge me anything for what was obviously "above and beyond" work! (Outdoor wiring, climbing ladders, etc.)

I have only experienced four outages of service in five years, and none lasted longer than an hour.

Speed is CONSISTENT - I always can expect 7500/1500. Never goes below that.

Dynamic IP and I use a wireless router for my PPPoE, so no logging in, etc. MTS even now supports troubleshooting on some routers!

So overall... MTS is the way to go in Winnipeg.

*** MTS TV is a separate issue I know, but I am very happy with it overall. Quality is very good, price is right and the PVR is fantastic.

UPDATE April 8, 2007 - Last verified speed test:

Upload speed: 344 kb/s

UPDATE January 18, 2010

Download speed: 7850 kb/s
Upload speed: 1444 kb/s

UPDATE: November 11, 2010

Download speed: 7790 kb/s
Upload speed: 1665 kb/s

Had to migrate to Windows Live for email, as MTS stopped hosting their own email. A real disappointment and probably a deal breaker for people thinking of migrating from a competitor.

Comments:

Review by stew1155

• Location: r0g0j
Good "Reliable service"
Bad "forced switch to hotmail"
Overall "Very good overall"

A decent ISP, better than Shaw.
Reliable connection, decent service and support. Good speeds.
They offer a variety of packages at different prices ranging from a light
package, 16 kbs, hi speed, I'm getting up to 500 kbs, to a lightening speed,
not certain how fast that goes.

I have been with MTS for many years and have virtually nothing to complain about, other than the forced transfer of their e-mail service to Hotmail. I hate Hotmail and will likely switch to Gmail.

(review was emailed from domain mts.net)

Comments:

Review by Ballador See Profile

• Location: Lorette,MB
Good "Speed it alright"
Bad "when it does lose sync it can take 10-15min to reconnect"
Overall "Only High-speed provider in the area that is not Sat/Wireless(Bad)"

Speed it alright\

when it does lose sync it can take 10-15min to reconnect

Only High-speed provider in the area that is not Sat/Wireless(Bad)