Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by Omne See Profile

• Location: Dunbar,Kanawha,WV
Good "no caps"
Bad "very unreliable connection"
Overall "Live very close to the central office"

I'm supposed to be on a 12mb bonded service but, I have never seen that best I have gotten is 7mb and if it runs then it drops. I have had the service for 2 years now not good for netflix or gaming. So it looks like Suddenlink may be the only other choice, I had Verizon before the sold and never had connection problems. Using the Netgear 2550 modem.

member for 14.1 years, 4171 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

why me

@50.45.0.x

horror slow horror show

I am new to this service and all they keep promoting is their 3bies highspeed deal...well they have service slower than 56k...at least with 56k i would see some video. I can't get 1 sec of video to play on youtube...pages on websites load and load. With this horrible service there might as well be no youtube. How does one keep picking up more customers and never upgrade their net services? This could be fraud to charge over $34 for poor service like this. Seems like the housing scam....making promises, lying and giving nothing.....

Review by zenfort See Profile

• Location: Bloomfield,Hartford,CT
Good "haven't billed me since switch over"
Bad "upload speed between 0.01 and 0.13 Mb"
Overall "Not a good switch over from AT&T to Frontier CT"

AT&T Connecticut sale to Frontier CT = I am in 0.03 Mb upload (not heaven) = Over a week now! They can figure it out. I read AT&T / Frontier deal gave them no support. Tech support person told me some large business has the same upload problem. They have no updates to tell me any more.
I hour to upload a 6MB file. I have 20 domains with CMSs to update.

So far they haven't sent me a bill - I think they know they have provided no value of service.

Fair warning: reviewer joined this week

Comments:
corporat

join:2012-02-15
Westbrook, CT

Create frontier ID in Ct

One would think easy transition, NO. Web page slow to load would not accept newly created id . One customer rep, One tech, Supervisor , One more customer service rep . Now this guy tried to enter my id from out west bingo worked . Again i mentioned frontier page slow to load . Asked to speak to supervisor again . Finally 4 hrs later supervisor says YES there is a problem with server will make note and pass along . Could i be compensated for time, say a bump in speed ? No.

Time for comcast again ? *shivers*

Review by Darknessfall See Profile

Good "TV features, uptime, price, decent packages"
Bad "N/A"
Overall "More people should consider it!"

SEE ORIGINAL U-VERSE REVIEW WITH MORE DETAILS HERE:
»/comment/86111

Update: 7/28/14

I recently upgraded our broken VIP1200 to an ISB7005 which is must faster. I also downgraded from Max Turbo to Max Plus(getting 23/2). We also downgraded to the 200 minute plan a few months ago. My bill is now $109.

Line stats at the time of the update:

Down/ Up
Max User Rate 60168 kbs Not Available
Noise Margin 19.4 dB Not Available
Attenuation 10.8 dB Not Available
Output Power 14.2 dBm -20.7 dBm
Update: 8/30/14

Since the last review we replaced our second VIP1200 with a ISB7005 and our VIP1225 with a VIP2250.

Update: 10/23/14

We will be transitioned to Frontier in a few days. Hopefully I'll be able to update with some feedback of how it goes.

Update: 11/09/14

We haven't had too many issues since the transition. I'm awaiting my first Frontier bill to see if there are any mess ups with my promotions. We're waiting for the caller ID on TV to come back though. I'll give it some time. I wish Frontier had a more robust online management website though.

11/20/14

Still no caller ID, but hopefully soon(they're saying it may be until the end of December).

Now have Hallmark Channel in our TV line-up that hasn't been available for years with AT&T.

member for 2.2 years, 1258 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
jlarysz

join:2014-11-16

Frontier smtp emails getting dumped

I use Frontier DSL through lack of choice, and until yesterday I have been using their smtp servers to send emails using Microsoft Outlook. I discovered that since the end of August 2014, no emails were being delivered to a specific address if sent from my Outlook client. I traced this to a machine on the mailing route called "filter01.roch.ny.frontiernet.net". No emails for this address routed through this particular machine ever left it. They were not being bounced back to me, so they were being dumped. Frontier chat support were completely useless - "lorelei" (age, sex, qualification and location unknown) concluded that the port on which I was collecting POP3 traffic needed tweeking and had no idea what that blocking server was doing - and wasn't interested in finding out. I do not know if other recipient addresses were being dumped too - I can only find out if someone expecting an email from me doesn't get it and complains about it. I am now using a different smtp server and feel a lot more confident that the mail will get through.
jlarysz

join:2014-11-16

Frontier DSL Performance

I use Frontier Communications DSL in western NY state - it's my only option. It is a poor service. Performance is erratic; it is always slow, but often it is very slow. The local techies can't do any more. The infrastructure is terrible and Frontier are not the kind of company who invest any more than the minimumin their service. The company does not deserve many of the people who work for it.

Review by ncted See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Fast, connection for a reasonable price. No caps. Netflix open connect CDN. CSRs and techs are very nice and friendly."
Bad "Installation happened a day late even though I purposely gave them plenty of lead time. 2 long outages in a week."
Overall "Very nice folks, intermittent service."

I was on TWC Turbo (20/2), and I was unhappy with Netflix streaming performance and first byte time on websites and the recent price increases. Despite speedtest.net ping times of >20ms, it was laggy. I read that Frontier had joined the Netflix Open connect CDN: »signup.netflix.com/openconnect, and the price and speeds offered were good, so I decided to give it a try. I ordered Simply Broadband Max (24/2) for $55/month, no contract, free installation, and 2 year price guarantee.

Installation was a annoying because they didn't show up in the window they specified, and didn't call to tell me they weren't going to be able to make the appointment. I got a call over an hour later letting me know they would try again the next day. When I called to find out why, I was told they were busy fixing service for many people affected by adverse weather. While that may be true, they clearly knew they would not make my appointment well ahead of time, and they could have let me know sooner.

I received an ActionTec FV2200 modem. It has a full set of router features. I disabled wireless, and may try to put it into bridge mode, if I can determine how to make my Airport Extreme work with PPOE on a channel bonded connection.

Speedtest.net ping times are about 10ms longer than TWC, but first byte times are actually about 1/2 second lower than I observed with TWC. Netflix hasn't re-buffered yet, and it seems solidly at the highest PQ so far. I did experience an Internet outage (but not DSL, so must have been a backhaul issue) the first night I had the new service from about 12:30-2:00 AM, but TWC was down at the same time, so I would've been impacted either way. Since then, it has been rock solid. Hopefully that continues.

At the end of the day, I am happy I switched, and I hope this will be a reliable service for a long time to come.

UPDATE 3/5/2014:

I am posting this from my TWC connection I hadn't cancelled yet. Frontier has been down for hours and Tech Support has no idea why. This is the second time in a week. Not happy at the moment.

UPDATE 3/6/2014:

Due to connection reliability issues, I have cancelled my service. The CSR was extremely nice about it, and offered to lower my bill to make up for the inconvenience of the outage. If I didn't need this for work, I might consider it.

UPDATE 11/11/2014:

After a couple of frustrating months with TimeWarnerCable, and a series of annoying calls with customer support where they essentially told me to go stick my head in a lake, I am going to give Frontier another try. Based on local experiences recently by people on this forum and in-person discussions, it sounds like Frontier has gotten their act together a bit. Install is scheduled for 11/20. Fingers crossed that things go better this time.

UPDATE 11/20/2014:

Service installed today. Installer named Mike showed up promptly at 9 AM, and he was very professional and friendly. He had everything working within about 15 minutes, including running a new line from the street to my house to be buried later. After Mike left, I tried a speed test but was only getting 12/1 instead of 24/2. I contacted customer support who put me back in touch with Mike. Mike contacted tech support, and after a short while the provisioning was updated to 24/2 which I am now getting reliably. While they made a mistake with the original provisioning, they did fix the issue quickly as soon as I pointed it out. I have a better feeling about the service than I did the last time I tried it. Fingers-crossed.

Comments:

Lyle jeffrey

@50.36.70.x

extremely dissatfied

I am writing this to let everyone know just how we have been treated with this company! my wife was called over a year ago with a offer to bundle our services so we could save about $30.00 a month . she agreed and they bundled our service lo and behold our monthly bill did not go down but went up by over $30.00. after numerous calls to frontier (getting some one different each time) we got nothing but a run around. At this point we ask to cancel our services and was told there would be a large charge to do so. mind you we have been with this company for ever. this was a year ago just this week my wife called to cancel our service and they say the contract was renewed in October. we had no idea how this was done they now say there is a $100.00 for early cancellation fee. this company is like a bad omen once your in you cant get out with out paying threw to nose. so be ware people you should think twice before doing business with these rip offs. we are on a fixed income so every little bit helps!

WVuser

@172.56.1.x

installation of phone and internet

Frontier promised to have their complete installation finished by Oct. 17th, 2014. Since then I have been led to believe it was everyday tomorrow. This is a ridiculous operation without and checks and execution of agreement. I really think I will file a claim in small claims court for all of the lies, broken schedules/appointments and bad faith. If everyone filed a small suit against these guys, they would at least become truthful.

jsmiller58

@209.87.253.x

Re: installation of phone and internet

Same experience here.

Told install would be Nov 8. When I called them on the 8th to find out when the tech would be there they said - what install, we see that you placed an order for service but we don't see any date for the install in our system... What? Not a red flag for you people??

Then given a date for the 18th. Called on the 18. Sorry, but our tech is sick, won't make it on the 18th. Will definitely be the 19th.

19th rolls around around, we call to find out the stats and we are told, sorry, can't make it today either. We promise you it will be tomorrow, the 20th...

Anyone want to place a bet with me???

Installation delays

The first time I tried to have Frontier install service, they did not show up on time either. The installer I talked to today said they were hiring additional installers/techs nationwide to help reduce wait times for service calls. Some areas are having better luck than others actually finding qualified people.

Review by McPolygon See Profile

• Location: Everett,Snohomish,WA
Good "Unshakable Upload and Download speeds with VERY low ping times!"
Bad "BPON from the Silver Lake central office and the ONT only has a 100Mbps ethernet jack (FYI for people in Silver Firs/Mill Creek)"
Overall "Frontier fiber optic internet is priced right and very reliable even during peak hours its smooth sailing"

After being with Comcast for about 5 years I just wanted to get out. My only other reasonable option in my area (Silver Firs/Mill Creek) was Frontier Communications. I called Frontier's 800# and talked with their FIOS team and was offered 35/15 Internet for $49 a month (before Taxes and Fees) with no contract or install fee. This set up was hassle free with minimal effort on my behalf. The day before my scheduled install I had to have a fiber cable ran from the fiber junction box outside my house. Frontier appears to contract with Pacific Cable Construction, INC. to bury residential fiber. This contractor was very friendly and did a clean run underground along the side of my house. It took them about 1hr. A day later the Frontier technician arrived on time for the install. I asked the tech if he could enable the Ethernet port on the ONT. He had no problem doing this. However, the tech had to make sure it was working with the Frontier supplied router (Actiontech REV.I). and he made the disclaimer that if I use my own router and I needed technical support the only supported router is the Actiontech. I was fine with that. The installation went smoothly. The Motorola BPON ONT was installed on the side of the house, the battery backup installed in the garage and Ethernet connected as requested. I get a solid 35.5Mbps down and on average 17.7Mbps up, which is above my quoted upload speed of 15Mbps. The connection is rock solid, with no fluctuations in speed day or night. Regional pings are in the single digit range, which are far better than Comcast’s on average. All in all I am very pleased with the installation process and service provided. I would recommend Frontier Fios if you live in an area where this service is available and looking for an alternative to Comcast.

member for 363 days, 214 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by aguypd See Profile

• Location: Silver Springs,Wyoming,NY
Good "First year is free"
Bad "We lose our connection every time it rains"
Overall "Switched back to RR"

(update 2013-06)There hasn't been any improvement in the service from Frontier. The latency still runs 60-70 ms and the bandwidth is still down around 3.5 Mbs on the 10 Mbs service.

(update 2012-11)Recently the Internet service seems to have degraded. The latency has increased to near 70 ms and the connection resets several times a day with a new IP address being issued each time.

(update 2010-09)I am still glad that I switched back to Road Runner. However, my mother still uses Frontier's DSL. She consistenly gets bandwidths around 3.5 Mbs on her 10 Mbs service. The latency is usually around 50 ms. It can be frustrating to work on the computers at her house and attempting to use the Internet, after getting used to Road Runner at home.

We decided to get rid of our telephone service with Frontier, too, and switch to Time Warner's Digital Phone. Frontier wanted to charge us $200 because they said we had entered into a 2 year contract with them for the Telephone service. The two years for the DSL when we had it, ended back in May of 2010, and we never agreed to a 2 year contract, so I guess they just automatically put us on one.

My wife called the service department and complained and the customer service representative, said that they would cancel the $200 charge.

(update)After continuously comparing bandwidth between my mom's dsl with Frontier and our Road Runner connection, the Road Runner connection is always about three times the bandwidth and less than half of the latency.

(update)My mother, who still has Frontier DSL, got hit by lightning. She called Frontier's customer service and told them that she lost the phones and DSL. The service tech came out and got the phones back online, but never checked the DSL. She had to call them again and finally drove an hour to one of their centers, to pick up a new modem.

(update)Forget trying to get anywhere with their customer service. If you tell them you have an issue, only when it is raining and the lines are wet, they will still send a technician the next day, even though the sun is shining and everything is dried out.

(update)Switched back to Road Runner after less than six months with Frontiernet. It was a mistake to ever switch to Frontiernet.

Switched from Time Warner's Road Runner to Frontiernet's 10M DSL with a new plan that the first year is free and the second year is only $30/month and a promise that the 10M was available to our house. This turned out to be a mistake

After having the service for almost a month, we had several problems and tech support was a 45 minute wait on the phone. Technicians came out the next day and found a problem between us and the CO. Our speeds, 3568/374, are better than they were yesterday, 503/260, but not as good as they had been, 4417/376. This definitely is not what they promised us, though.

Apparently, when it rains our connection is unstable. This is terrible. I guess I have to hope for a drought, so I can have a good connection. Because of the bad connections in the wet weather, Frontier keeps throttling back our speed, instead of fixing the actual problem. The latency has really tanked, too. We were getting a latency around 35 ms, but now we are over 80 ms.

Every time it rains, we can look forward to speeds around 500/200 and a latency over 100 ms. It is terrible.

Frontier has released their announcement on their caps, and our speed is down to 95/78 with a latency of 695 ms. Go figure.

After lying to us about the availability of 10M being available in our area and their position on net neutrality, I am not holding our breath about their honesty, that people in their price protection agreement, won't be capped, also.

member for 6.5 years, 2536 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Rickski7

join:2014-11-20
Tremont, IL

Frontier Advertises "High" speed internet

Have DSL through a land line with Frontier for the past 4 months. Speed is only slightly better than dial up - download: 0.98 mbs/sec upload: 0.37 mbs/sec. The only positive thing about this "high" speed isp is the unlimited band width. It frustrates even more with every TV commercial marketing their "high" speed product. Excede satellite service is 10-12 times faster but obviously more expensive. The choice in the more rural areas in Illinois is abysmal.

Timber

@50.45.0.x

Re: Frontier Advertises "High" speed internet

I am getting angry because i was seeing 3mbp advertised then they told me to expect only 1.6mbps, then the installer said we only get 300kb....using my cellphone i can do things, but frontier on my pc is like a Turtle going up a mountain!!!!! I am shocked that a company is so desparate to make money by mass gathering a crowd of customers and doing zero to improve quality of service. Virgin mobile hotspot seemed faster than this!!!!! HELL, DIAL UP could be faster? I have been told oh you cant stream any video....only check emails? That was not stated at sign up...only when installer arrived...why is this service so bad?

Review by cool88 See Profile

Good "always on."
Bad "takes time to get the full speed."
Overall "Its good. but if fiber or cable internet is there look at there offers."

For a rural area the internet is great they do a good job and its always on. I do see it go from 6mbps to 5.5mbps at the peak hours but that has fade the last 2 weeks to only slow to 5.8mbps during peak hours so they are get upgrades here every few months and I seen that the 12/2 and 24/3 is where I can get it but the 6mbps/768kbps is good and that's just what I need. If its frontier dsl or wireless or satellite internet go with frontier.

here's my everyday speed:
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3447543277
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3447634580

Update 7/31/2014 the internet is still going very good It is still always on except last weekend the area had a outage for 6 to 8 hours. »www.speedtest.net/my-result/3660260071

Update 10/31/14 the 6mbps plan is still going good. »www.speedtest.net/my-result/3874865652 upgrade to the 12mbps download and 2mbps upload gets installed next week I will update the review after a little time with the 12mbps plan and a speedtest.

update 11/5/14 got the 12mbps plan the upload is only 1mbps but that is better than before will update in a few more weeks on how service holds up. »www.speedtest.net/my-result/3887048036

member for 219 days, 126 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Shirley Chap

@173.85.194.x

My service today

Although I haven't been happy with frontier for quite some time I was indeed happy today with the phone service provided bu Jackie ext.2355 and also the hard work from Brian tech 573 or 873
cool88

join:2014-04-18

Re: My service today

frontier speed wise is not the best. but 1/3 to 2/3 of tech support and customer service. will try to help get a better speed or try and find out if any new plans are open to get and even try to find out when upgrades will happen.

Review by MrBungle87 See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Decent bandwidth if you're eligible (25/2)"
Bad "Forced POTS bundling sucks, crappy uploads"
Overall "Until TWC upgrades our area beyond 50/5, both ISP choices suck"

Update, 11/1/14: Frontier finally resolved their backhaul issues about 3 months ago and I'm actually getting my advertised speeds of 24/2 (gasp). Reliability has improved, ping times are much better, no Youtube or Netflix throttling (one of Frontier's laudable points is that they're part of Netflix's OpenCDN program). That said, I'm not holding out hope that they'll ever offer FTTP, despite having "deployed" it in a few, small areas of Durham.

UPDATE, 7/20/14: Frontier lied. Surprise. They swore up and down that the capacity issues at the DSLAM would be fixed by the end of June. I called them 2 weeks ago and asked why it wasn't fixed, and they changed their tune to "we have no ETA for a fix. Sorry." So, they lied. I'm demanding bill credits but that has to be done every month and I'm still not getting what I pay for. Never do business with Frontier.

UPDATE, 4/27/14: tech returned and switched us to bonded ADSL from VDSL at 25/2Mbit. Speeds are as advertised for about half of the day. During the other twelve hours we're still dealing with network congestion, upstream from our CO. The latest tech I spoke to said engineering is aware of the congestion but the issue is they can't get the money and resources they need from higher up to fix it (basically, adding backhaul capacity). So, all in all, Frontier's local people are great and will do their best to help you, but upper management clearly needs to be FIRED.

UPDATE, 4/21/14: peak-hour congestion persists. I've spent the last two months trying to get switched from VDSL to bonded ADSL, but Frontier keeps kicking the can down the road. The tech who came out last week didn't finish the job and promised to come back later that same day, but never did. Incompetence, lies, whatever the case may be, Frontier's showing their true colors.

UPDATE, 2/12/14: despite assurances from our technical supervisor, we're still dealing with congestion. Peak hour download is usually around 4Mbit with higher than usual pings (>100ms). Traceroutes sometimes time out, or run over 2000ms to google.com. If you're considering Frontier and you have a choice (cable, fiber, whatever), TAKE THE OTHER CHOICE. Don't give Frontier your money. I've already switched my parents to Time Warner. Just a matter of closing accounts now.

UPDATE 1/26/14: backhaul problems popping up again. Download speeds plummet to between 0.8Mbit and 6Mbit during the afternoon/evening, sometimes lasting until 11 or midnight. Called my assigned regional Frontier manager about this several days ago and haven't heard back. Seems Frontier has now possibly oversold their VDSL product, too. Same old problem that we faced on our original 7Mbit (originally 3Mbit) plan. Not sure why Frontier has such massive and widespread problems with their backhaul, but they do. After discovering my upload will only ever attain a 1Mbit sync, this is just another slap in the face. Will likely be moving to Time Warner soon, not out of desire but necessity.

UPDATE, 8/9/2013: so far, so good. Haven't encountered any real issues since being switched over to VDSL in January. Still getting consistent 25Mbit (usually 30) downloads. Ping times could be better (around 60-70ms now), but this is the nature of interleaving, I suppose. My only real complaint is upload speed, or lack thereof. At the time of installation, uploads averaged 1.6Mbit (while being advertised at 3Mbit), and have since decreased to an average of 1Mbit. I'm not sure why uploads are low, but I'll have to talk to our local Frontier manager again to figure it out.

UPDATE, 1/24/2013: VDSL (25/2) is installed using the Actiontec V1000W modem/router, and speeds are great. 30Mbit down, typically, and roughly 1.3Mbit upload, which is less than I expected, but still double what I was seeing on ADSL. The only problem is ping times are higher now, at about 80ms (probably due to interleaving instead of fastpath). Will update if and when anything changes.

member for 1.8 years, 529 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Frontierrep

@144.70.2.x

In regards to VDSL availability

To be sure, VDSL availability is typically when available when you are withing 8000 feet from the central office to be capable for speeds up to 25mbps, we have been doing a lot of work since verizon was around, keeping in mind it has only been 2 1/2 years since we took over and started improving upon Verizons Antiquated networks. I apologize if you didn't get good answers from here in the Washington Call Center, I am extremely proficient in the systems and can definitely assist in this as well. If the issue has been addressed and investigated, then you should be good to go (at the very least being able to get bonded DSL for the 12/2mbps speed), I've checked the terminals in Durham/Raleigh area and do see that the Central office is equipped for VDSL (up to 40mbps for Business, 25mbps for Residential). We have a number of people available for VDSL but like with all internet providers (except wireless) it is distance related.
MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18

Re: In regards to VDSL availability

Thanks for your reply. The technician who installed VDSL (25/2) told me he wasn't sure whether VDSL or bonded ADSL2 would be used since we were the second house in the area they've installed VDSL. But, it seems to be working well. I also have to give credit to the technical supervisor for our area who called me and gave me information about our true total loop distance (which was longer than I thought due to a large cable loop on another street), but they either removed or replaced a tap and loop length decreased.

I do have one question for you, though: I'm seeing a lot of errors (presumably) under "30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave" and some under "30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave". Fastpath is disabled so I guess there must be a distance consideration in still using interleaved mode on VDSL2? Either way, my download speeds are great, so I don't know how accurate the SNR and attenuation stats the modem is reporting are. I've attached a screenshot for your perusal. Hopefully, you can make some sense of the FEC numbers.

I'm also seeing higher pings than before (75-100ms), which I'm guessing is due to interleaving. Is there a way to test whether fastpath would cut ping times?
jakej1978

join:2013-01-31
Camano Island, WA

jakej1978

join:2013-01-31
Camano Island, WA
I have Frontier DSL on Camano Island, WA zipcode 98282. Do you know if anything can be done to improve speeds? I am on the south end of the island, so I imagine I am far from the CO, and it looks as though we're routed through the Everett, WA pop. Do you know if VDSL is available, and can I bond two DSL channels together if I add a second phone line with Frontier? You can write me back at jakej1978 AT g mail dot com

Thank you.

Just switched to Frontier from TWC

Not sure where you are in Durham. I live in Brightleaf at the Park. I got the 24/2 service which appears to be bonded ADSL. My speedtest.net ping times are about 25ms, where I was getting about 15ms from TWC, but 25ms is still better than most people I know. So far, I haven't had any issues aside from an overnight outage during which TWC was also offline. I can say that I have observed no slowdowns during primetime. Streaming Netflix and Amazon Prime is much improved compared to TWC with respect to buffering and bitrates. Hopefully this will continue to be the case.

Your Latest update

Interesting news. I have been having definite slowdowns on TWC with streaming of late. Buffering is not an issue, but I am not getting full-resolution. Where I used to routinely get 1080p on Amazon Prime streaming, the icon no longer lights up, and the picture is clearly degraded. This is despite various speedtests showing I get the advertised 30/5 speeds. I was considering trying Frontier again to see if things had gotten better. It sounds like perhaps they have.
MrBungle87

join:2013-01-18

said by ncted:

Frontier has definitely fixed their capacity problems in our area. It took longer than it should've, but they at least followed through. As far as TWC goes, you're probably running into the infamous peering point saturation issue. Lots of posts about it on here (see: Comcast and Time Warner signing deals with Netflix for paid peering). Have you tried using a VPN and then streaming from Amazon? That seems to be an easy fix for a lot of people having streaming issues.

Re: Your Latest update

I'd have to setup a TOR connection or site-to-site VPN on my router for things like my tablet or Tivo to stream over a VPN connection, but I can try it with my laptop to see if it helps. I'd rather not have to do anything fancy just to stream video though. I think I'll probably give Frontier another shot as I am really not enthused about sticking with TWC.

Re: Your Latest update

VPN did not seem to have any effect on video quality. Essentially, things look crystal clear when I watch streaming video in the morning, but at night I am clearly not getting the full bandwidth.

As my promotional rate on TWC is about to expire, I called them up to see if they would offer me something else to stay. I would be willing to consider it if they gave me a good price. The CSR seemed very put out that I was asking for a new promotion. I politely pointed out the price and speed Frontier is offering in my location, and asked if they would match it by selling me Turbo for $55/month (same as I am paying now). He said no way. If I stick with Extreme, my bill will go to $78/month in December and $80 sometime in early 2015 when there is a planned price increase. If I downgrade to standard, the price will be $58-$60.

So, I called Frontier today and ordered 24/2 for $55/month. 3 year price lock, no contract, and actually friendly people when you call them. I might be missing out on Maxx when it arrives on TWC next year, but I honestly don't need that much bandwidth, and I am sick of dealing with those jerks.

Review by jmcgeejr1 See Profile

• Location: Kirkland,King,WA
Good "When it works it's great"
Bad "Nighttime slow downs to 2-5Mbps suck."
Overall "Miss Verizon so greatly. "

I cant go on and on about just how bad it has been since Frontier took over from Verizon, trust me, they suck.

Comments:

disappointed

@50.108.189.x

frontier sucks

Stuck in Rochester. I used to get great speed with frontier but now I get 1 mb/s download and .3 mb/s upload and they tell me that they can't do anything about it and that is the best I am going to get. I am paying for 6 mb/s and am going to change carriers.

Review by jhejr See Profile

• Location: Guntown,Lee,MS
Good "Most all customer support has been very good."
Bad "DSL system needs upgrade. "
Overall "For where we are it's good"

Modem router combo is Netgear Model 7500. Runs hot, weak Wi-Fi output. Frontier will not turn on router firewall, says the firewall stop's some of there services. No free security software. Try to up sell you security services, and software. System here is old but working ok. Speaking for myself: The system is oversold. System slow down from 4 PM to 10PM. A system upgrade would be welcome. Wish they would upgrade the netgear 7500, to a better combo.

The service was 12 Mbps ordered. Glad to get the 11 mbps speed. Frontier says they are working on the system. Not holding my breath on that. I was with Comcast 50/10 internet. Moved into senior apt. We miss the faster speed, but we do not miss wait on hold for 30 min, hang up's by so called customer service of Comcast. Frontier customer service is so much better than Comcast, we don't mind having a slower connection. Frontier's installer was helpful and well trained. He tried to satisfy our needs as well as possible. Hope Frontier steps up and works on there problems

Comments:

Unhappy Cust

@50.126.145.x

Frontier Internet

Just switched over to Frontier in a couple of weeks, I opened my first bill and was shocked. The bill is $436 included installation and all kinds of extra charges. I called Frontier Customer and waited for appr. 20 minutes; finally, someone answered. They said, the bill was wrong because they charged me 3 times more for installation fees ($99x3). I told them that when I called to switch over to Frontier; they said, "No installation charges whatsoever and no hidden fees incurred." Well, they lied. I called back the second time, they said that they will write to someone with Frontier for me so they can look further into my bill. They said, I have to wait' "someone will let me know about their decisions." If you think you would like to switch over to Frontier internet because of their low prices, please do your research and don't get trapped like me. I hope Frontier will do better in customer services and keep their promises. This kind of lies will lead to lawsuits and decline in customers' satisfaction.

Re: Frontier Internet

Unhappy Cust: Thanks for the post. We called Frontier and checked our bill. It was incorrect and we had them to change it, I hope. Thank you for your post.

PoooTang

@50.107.191.x
Same happened here....I will let people know,DO A CHAT SESSION ONLINE ,AND SAVE THE QUOTE WHEN FINISHED.....BEFORE YOU GET YOUR BILL...Its what i used to prove the same scenario. The chat log is save to your email,and they cant go back on the salespersons own chat.....Use CHAT ONLINE at all cost for ANYTHING!....Hope it helps any future customers,i went from 170$ a month 30/3Mbps, too 54.99$ a month for 27/1Mbps ...great service once you get past the Billing.

·Frontier Communi..

Update

Frontier got my 12/1 to about 11.50mbps and upload to.95 mbps, latency from .42 to .23ms. The download was about 9.50 to 10.25mbps. The upload was .32 to .33 mbps. It appears that is a good as I will get on a old dsl system. In a small town of 2000+ upgrades will be very slow in coming. I do have access to over priced cable internet. Hope that having compaction will get more speed and pricing.

Internet congestion

First month as a frontier customer. Congestion,slow downs,and very long waits for pages to load. To be fair to Frontier the customer service and pricing are very good. I also have access to cable internet service. We were a 20 year Comcast customer before we moved. After getting off cable's high prices and bad customer service. We do not wish to return to that world. If Frontier don't improve in the next month or so we will be looking for a new isp.