Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by steve

• Location: Lake Havasu City,Mohave,AZ
Good "up more often than down"
Bad "slowwww"
Overall "back to cable"

Were in the stone age! Switched from cable to DSL 3 months ago after
cable went down for the whole city for 2 days. 3 months of Frontier DSL and
have yet to have a 400K up, or 200K download. Just read of others from
1.5-5.2M in my town. Frontier says its because of where my house is (almost middle
of town).

(review was emailed from domain profidelity.com)

Comments:

Review by Tquick0442 See Profile

• Location: Fairmount,Gordon,GA
Good "It is DSL not dial-up"
Bad "It as slow as dial-up some times"
Overall "Needs a lot of work for dsl"

FrontierNet Network is the only thing in my neck of the woods so no choice in what I can pick from. So if you move to Fairmount,Ga look to deal with 1m lines on dsl that are not even 1/2 of what they offer.

Comments:

Review by billko See Profile

• Location: Tunkhannock,Wyoming,PA
Good "better than satellite"
Bad "hate the customer "service""
Overall "it's better than satellite"

Dealing with customer service is downright painful. I usually have to tell them what is wrong, not the other way around.

The reliability is better than satellite, worse than cable.

Am I thrilled? Can't you tell?

Comments:

Review by ghamden See Profile

• Location: Lerona,Mercer,WV
Good "when it works it is good"
Bad "slow which seem to be most of the time"
Overall "Irratic service"

Their service on a scale of 1-10 is about 3 I have been a customer for over 4 years it has always been bad and they are the only provider available here in my area.

About a month ago thy boosted my service to 2.5 meg actually started working great well until about a two weeks ago 400 to 800ms latency

Today finally they got that cleared up and now supposedly they are having an area problem where their service is either down or very slow but only in the evenings between 6pm and midnight sounds more like to many user not enough bandwidth.

I am ready to file a complaint with the FCC their service is expensive their tech support if you want to call it that is almost nonexistent we could only hope a real company that actually cares about its customers would buy them out.

If you have any ideas as to an alternative in my area

Follow up latency issue still unresolved going on 2 months i have contacted area manager if not resolved I'll let the fcc resolve the problem

*****

After 2+ months it seems they may have resolved the issue the experience proves to me that frontier problems are that the right does not no what the left is doing and totally no upfront about issues the problem that existed in my area was an upgrade to a very strained CO which apparently did not have adequate bandwidth for the amount if users in our area. seems like this is becoming an american motto get their money but provide as little for it as possible.

Now if you can believe this they are offering for a monthly fee of a total service package that includes maintaining your computers service needs also ___ Give Me A Break ---

you guys need to work on your systems first get them up to state of the art make sure your field reps are actually given the tools and equipment they need to do the job. and most of all forward the issues to people who can get something done. (during this 2 months problem i talked to at least a dozen people when i came across the local area managers email address Mike S. i contacted him on a monday by friday the problem was resolved with a few hiccups but it was resolved.

I am hoping that in a few months i can give this company a better rating but only time will tell

Gary

member for 12.7 years, 121 visits, last login: 4.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by spewak See Profile

• Location: Elk Grove,Sacramento,CA
Good "None really"
Bad "No RT's in site"
Overall "They call it blazing fast, avoid if you can! Seriously!"

·SureWest Internet
I have had Frontier now for going on five years. The thing that irks me is that they have not raised download speeds for almost that long. Pathetic! While every other telco is at least at 3meg down, we are stuck at 1meg down. Frontier has the nerve, audacity, to call it blazing fast.

When you call to inquire as to when they will be raising the speed, they have no idea. It depends on what part of town (Elk Grove, Ca.) you live in, they say. So there is no even distribution of speeds. Pathetic! The speeds are not even listed on their website.

Their idea of "value" is offering ESPN 360. Whatever the frig that is. Who cares, Big whup! Also, they partnered with CA to offer anti-virus and the like to home customers, again, Big whup, Who cares! They just don't get it, speed is where it is!

My bro called and he just told me Surewest is now available in his area, heck, he was talking to the salesman as we spoke. FTTP, now we are talking. And I am jealous. He is going to call and cancel his Frontier "blazing speed" internet for 10meg down and up! Lucky!

Why no Comcast you ask? It scares me due to all the horror stories here. I still might try it though. Wait for Surewest to get to my 'hood! Early next year hopefully.

Avoid Frontier, they are incompetent at knowing their customers desires.

**UPDATE**SEPT. 22, 2005

Isn't it interesting what a little competition will do. The asses at Frontier are finally competing with the big boyz! They are reportedly upping their download speeds to 8megs. WOW! It only took 5 years and Surewest kicking their ass up and down Elk Grove for them to take action. It is too little for me as I have already switched to Comcast and am getting quite a fast 6.2 megs at all hours. I will review Comcast in a couple of months to see how steady the connection is. Heck, I will probably even switch back to reliable Frontier now that they have joined the future.

**UPDATE** Apr. 16,2006

I went into the local Frontier office to pay my bill and decided to ask about the speed upgrades, as my area had finally been included in the 8meg down map.

After the gentleman took my information, he excused himself to find out what was going on as far as the upgrade schedule. After about ten minutes, out he comes with the actual Network Engineer. The engineer asked if anyone was home at the time due to the fact that he just interrupted service to upgrade me to the highest possible speed, given my distance from the CO. They had not yet "flipped the switch" for my neighborhood. I was impressed. I am now at 5.3meg down and 512 up. Considerable increase from the paltry 1meg I had previously. I was told that by the end of the year all of Elk Grove will be upgraded to 10meg down. I will believe that when I see it. Very pleased with the speed improvement.

**UPDATE**Sept. 15, 2007

Back with Frontier due to lower cost. My being so far away from the CO still has me crippled with slow speeds. They put in RT's in areas close to mine, but NOT mine, so no help there. At least the price is lower for this year. I will go back to Comcast (or Surewest if they are done) once my year of blazing Internet speed is finished. We here in Elk Grove are experiencing bad latency in the evenings. So much for the different than cable analogy. They still suck, but for the price what are you gonna do?

*UPDATE 5/1/08*

Well, Surewest is coming out on the 15th to install FTTH. Finally!

Frontier is pathetic for one reason only: They refused to put a Fiber fed Remote terminal to service our neighborhood due to the fact that we are on the edge of their service territory. The RT's are down the street but not our neighborhood. Maybe in '09 they say. Sorry, cannot wait. I will post back with a review of Surewest install and service in a couple of weeks.

member for 13.6 years, 5721 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ScottJr See Profile

• Location: Charles Town,Jefferson,WV
Good "Stable connection so far"
Bad "Error in qualification up front."
Overall "Higherband width would be good, but happy to be rid of dial-up."

When I first moved into my house, I was offered DSL during my sign up. I declined at that time. I came back a few weeks later and placed the order. It was rejected due to the fact that "Frontiernet was not available in the area."

I got a call a week later saying that all of a sudden, service was there. I have a feeling they realized their mistake (not unexpected since it was a new number in a brand new development) and called back. In any case, after that small issue, I got it ordered, they dropped off the self-install kit and I was up and running 10 mintues later.

The actual price is $29.99 for the first 4 months and $49.99 after that. For a 1.0/128 circuit, it is rather high, but better than cable internet through Adelphia.

6/3/06 Update. So far, I have had one outage that I am aware of. It was caused by a local contsruction comany. They cut the line while digging. The reliability is great. The cost is still too high, but they will come around.

4/28/08 Still on 1.0/128 at $49.99 per month. I am exploring other options for service, but cable internet is not any better unless you get their bundle. As a satisfied Dish Network subscriber, I am out of luck there, as well.

Comments:

Review by affemann See Profile

• Location: Henrietta,Monroe,NY
Good "Its speed is ok when it works"
Bad "Everything that happens interupts the service."
Overall "Frustrating to say the least and customer service does not help."

For the first few months I had absolutly no problems. Then everything went downhill. When our house phone rang the internet would disconnect. After the run around with customer service saying that isn't possible and it is our fault they finally fixed the problem one day at the service station. Shorty after that whenever it would rain the internet would shutdown. The modem would stay on and it would just blink. After a while that problem either fixed itself or they got other complaints from nearby users and fixed it. Now, most recently every time there is a lightning storm my internet cuts out. For minutes at a time. This is so frustrating when you are trying to accomplish something and all you get are timed out screens and could not find connection screens. I do not want to deal with customer service because it is never their fault, only the customers. All my friends and relatives have Time Warner's Road Runner service. It runs circles around my DSL even when I am running at full speed. I am going to look into getting Road Runner instead. Frontier is ridiculous. If you live in the Rochester Area do NOT even consider Frontier unless you absolutly have to.

Comments:

Review by burner50 See Profile

• Location: Fort Dodge,Webster,IA
Good "Connection has never failed"
Bad "1.5 is fastest available"
Overall "Solid reliability, even if its slow"

Speeds are about half of advertised, this is probably due to my distance from the CO

»www.speedtest.net/result/2004212 ··· 1271.png

770/160

i received a speedstream 6520

i told them i didnt want wireless, didnt want dsl filters hanging everywhere. i told them all i wanted them to do was hook up to my router and leave me instruction on getting everything set up on my own. I found my nice wireless n router on the other side of the room from where i had left in the speedstream's box and i was expected to use the speedstream's wireless which for some reason crippled the wireless speeds, AND the tech did not set up any wireless security.

I got wireless and have a dsl filter on every phone because i was away from home for work during the installation. The drop had been cut by the previous owner (he told me he did it on accident) of the house, but i had cable. Frontier's tech was focused more on the fact that the cable company had done it to try and make his job harder. instead of having a new drop buried he spliced the original and left it.

if you know what you are doing you can fix the install mistakes. I am currently trying to get them to install a 2 sided nid so i can place one filter in the nid and clean the install up a little bit... Its not working very well.

UPDATE:
I moved from one address to another in the same town. They charged me a $100 early contract termination fee even tho I was moving and wanting to reconnect at the new address. I have recently cancelled all services with fronter.

member for 12.8 years, 4209 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by daveshy See Profile

• Location: Clintonville,Waupaca,WI
Good "It's Something"
Bad "Only Option"
Overall "Avoid at all costs unless absolutely no other option."

My experience is that it is always my computer never and I mean never ever on their end when I am having issues. I pay a lot for a 1 meg dl speed and I just found out that cable has a min 5 meg dl speed at a lower cost then what I pay. I f I hear we will do a line test one more time I think I will pull out my hair!!! Oh and for me I am too far away for cable so I continue to suffer, whine ,complain, and most of all pray that these people will come into the 21st century with the speeds that I see out there! The tech guy they send out is a nice guy but he is someone that does not even really know computers. Of course the only thing that saves me from not getting anything checked out is after they say it's on my end I mention that I have 2 dsl lines to my house due to there lighting fast Internet is not enough to share with a family and other computers. Hey other then that all I can say it's still faster then dial up, well most of the time.

Comments:

Review by tubbynet See Profile

• Location: Eagar,Apache,AZ
Good "For location it was the best, speeds were stable"
Bad "High price, lousy tech support"
Overall "Not my first choice for internet service..."

I had this service several years ago, when I lived in a small mountain town in eastern Arizona. Until Citizens brought in DSL, there was only dial-up in the area. While the city was slow to be upgraded (approx 1.5 years from time the first home was linked up to the time the entire town was covered), there was a very high demand for the service. Being the only company in town to offer HSI, the price was very high (for what you got), but it was still very popular.

I believe at the time, the packages offered were 256/128 and 1M/128, and I had subscribed to the 1meg package and payed ~$60/month for the service. While I had very few problems, when something did arise, talking to tech support was a nightmare. Both times, the problem was in the way the phone line was dropped/connected from the main line to my point-of-presence. However, in the periods of uptime, the speeds were stable (though slow) and outages were few and far between.

The one positive aspect was that I was able to receive a SpeedStream 5200 for my DSL modem, and I was able to put it into bridge mode to allow my WRT54G (running DD-WRT) to handle all of my routing and not have to worry about a double-NAT setup. Now I believe customers in the area are receiving SpeedStream 6520's which combine the wireless, router, and 4-port switch all in one unit. Not sure if you can still request the older modem or not.

While this connection is still active (and I actually use it for remote e-mail via OpenVPN), I dread going up north and leaving my cable connection.

The bottom line:

While I'm sure that FrontierDSL is better in more metropolitan areas, I am not impressed. Though customer service is something I rarely use, when I need to tell them my service isn't working, I don't want to be told that its my fault (at least with Cox I can request to be bumped up to a level 2 or 3) and nearly be refused to be escalated. The price was high for what I got (though when it is put into context of where I was, I can't complain too loudly). Just do your research whenever Frontier is in the running of ISPs to make sure that you will get what is comparable for the area.

member for 7.2 years, 3833 visits, last login: a few hours ago