Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by spewak See Profile

• Location: Elk Grove,Sacramento,CA
Good "None really"
Bad "No RT's in site"
Overall "They call it blazing fast, avoid if you can! Seriously!"

·SureWest Internet
I have had Frontier now for going on five years. The thing that irks me is that they have not raised download speeds for almost that long. Pathetic! While every other telco is at least at 3meg down, we are stuck at 1meg down. Frontier has the nerve, audacity, to call it blazing fast.

When you call to inquire as to when they will be raising the speed, they have no idea. It depends on what part of town (Elk Grove, Ca.) you live in, they say. So there is no even distribution of speeds. Pathetic! The speeds are not even listed on their website.

Their idea of "value" is offering ESPN 360. Whatever the frig that is. Who cares, Big whup! Also, they partnered with CA to offer anti-virus and the like to home customers, again, Big whup, Who cares! They just don't get it, speed is where it is!

My bro called and he just told me Surewest is now available in his area, heck, he was talking to the salesman as we spoke. FTTP, now we are talking. And I am jealous. He is going to call and cancel his Frontier "blazing speed" internet for 10meg down and up! Lucky!

Why no Comcast you ask? It scares me due to all the horror stories here. I still might try it though. Wait for Surewest to get to my 'hood! Early next year hopefully.

Avoid Frontier, they are incompetent at knowing their customers desires.

**UPDATE**SEPT. 22, 2005

Isn't it interesting what a little competition will do. The asses at Frontier are finally competing with the big boyz! They are reportedly upping their download speeds to 8megs. WOW! It only took 5 years and Surewest kicking their ass up and down Elk Grove for them to take action. It is too little for me as I have already switched to Comcast and am getting quite a fast 6.2 megs at all hours. I will review Comcast in a couple of months to see how steady the connection is. Heck, I will probably even switch back to reliable Frontier now that they have joined the future.

**UPDATE** Apr. 16,2006

I went into the local Frontier office to pay my bill and decided to ask about the speed upgrades, as my area had finally been included in the 8meg down map.

After the gentleman took my information, he excused himself to find out what was going on as far as the upgrade schedule. After about ten minutes, out he comes with the actual Network Engineer. The engineer asked if anyone was home at the time due to the fact that he just interrupted service to upgrade me to the highest possible speed, given my distance from the CO. They had not yet "flipped the switch" for my neighborhood. I was impressed. I am now at 5.3meg down and 512 up. Considerable increase from the paltry 1meg I had previously. I was told that by the end of the year all of Elk Grove will be upgraded to 10meg down. I will believe that when I see it. Very pleased with the speed improvement.

**UPDATE**Sept. 15, 2007

Back with Frontier due to lower cost. My being so far away from the CO still has me crippled with slow speeds. They put in RT's in areas close to mine, but NOT mine, so no help there. At least the price is lower for this year. I will go back to Comcast (or Surewest if they are done) once my year of blazing Internet speed is finished. We here in Elk Grove are experiencing bad latency in the evenings. So much for the different than cable analogy. They still suck, but for the price what are you gonna do?

*UPDATE 5/1/08*

Well, Surewest is coming out on the 15th to install FTTH. Finally!

Frontier is pathetic for one reason only: They refused to put a Fiber fed Remote terminal to service our neighborhood due to the fact that we are on the edge of their service territory. The RT's are down the street but not our neighborhood. Maybe in '09 they say. Sorry, cannot wait. I will post back with a review of Surewest install and service in a couple of weeks.

member for 13.1 years, 5532 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ScottJr See Profile

• Location: Charles Town,Jefferson,WV
Good "Stable connection so far"
Bad "Error in qualification up front."
Overall "Higherband width would be good, but happy to be rid of dial-up."

When I first moved into my house, I was offered DSL during my sign up. I declined at that time. I came back a few weeks later and placed the order. It was rejected due to the fact that "Frontiernet was not available in the area."

I got a call a week later saying that all of a sudden, service was there. I have a feeling they realized their mistake (not unexpected since it was a new number in a brand new development) and called back. In any case, after that small issue, I got it ordered, they dropped off the self-install kit and I was up and running 10 mintues later.

The actual price is $29.99 for the first 4 months and $49.99 after that. For a 1.0/128 circuit, it is rather high, but better than cable internet through Adelphia.

6/3/06 Update. So far, I have had one outage that I am aware of. It was caused by a local contsruction comany. They cut the line while digging. The reliability is great. The cost is still too high, but they will come around.

4/28/08 Still on 1.0/128 at $49.99 per month. I am exploring other options for service, but cable internet is not any better unless you get their bundle. As a satisfied Dish Network subscriber, I am out of luck there, as well.

Comments:

Review by affemann See Profile

• Location: Henrietta,Monroe,NY
Good "Its speed is ok when it works"
Bad "Everything that happens interupts the service."
Overall "Frustrating to say the least and customer service does not help."

For the first few months I had absolutly no problems. Then everything went downhill. When our house phone rang the internet would disconnect. After the run around with customer service saying that isn't possible and it is our fault they finally fixed the problem one day at the service station. Shorty after that whenever it would rain the internet would shutdown. The modem would stay on and it would just blink. After a while that problem either fixed itself or they got other complaints from nearby users and fixed it. Now, most recently every time there is a lightning storm my internet cuts out. For minutes at a time. This is so frustrating when you are trying to accomplish something and all you get are timed out screens and could not find connection screens. I do not want to deal with customer service because it is never their fault, only the customers. All my friends and relatives have Time Warner's Road Runner service. It runs circles around my DSL even when I am running at full speed. I am going to look into getting Road Runner instead. Frontier is ridiculous. If you live in the Rochester Area do NOT even consider Frontier unless you absolutly have to.

Comments:

Review by burner50 See Profile

• Location: Fort Dodge,Webster,IA
Good "Connection has never failed"
Bad "1.5 is fastest available"
Overall "Solid reliability, even if its slow"

Speeds are about half of advertised, this is probably due to my distance from the CO

»www.speedtest.net/result/200421271.png

770/160

i received a speedstream 6520

i told them i didnt want wireless, didnt want dsl filters hanging everywhere. i told them all i wanted them to do was hook up to my router and leave me instruction on getting everything set up on my own. I found my nice wireless n router on the other side of the room from where i had left in the speedstream's box and i was expected to use the speedstream's wireless which for some reason crippled the wireless speeds, AND the tech did not set up any wireless security.

I got wireless and have a dsl filter on every phone because i was away from home for work during the installation. The drop had been cut by the previous owner (he told me he did it on accident) of the house, but i had cable. Frontier's tech was focused more on the fact that the cable company had done it to try and make his job harder. instead of having a new drop buried he spliced the original and left it.

if you know what you are doing you can fix the install mistakes. I am currently trying to get them to install a 2 sided nid so i can place one filter in the nid and clean the install up a little bit... Its not working very well.

UPDATE:
I moved from one address to another in the same town. They charged me a $100 early contract termination fee even tho I was moving and wanting to reconnect at the new address. I have recently cancelled all services with fronter.

member for 12.3 years, 4016 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by daveshy See Profile

• Location: Clintonville,Waupaca,WI
Good "It's Something"
Bad "Only Option"
Overall "Avoid at all costs unless absolutely no other option."

My experience is that it is always my computer never and I mean never ever on their end when I am having issues. I pay a lot for a 1 meg dl speed and I just found out that cable has a min 5 meg dl speed at a lower cost then what I pay. I f I hear we will do a line test one more time I think I will pull out my hair!!! Oh and for me I am too far away for cable so I continue to suffer, whine ,complain, and most of all pray that these people will come into the 21st century with the speeds that I see out there! The tech guy they send out is a nice guy but he is someone that does not even really know computers. Of course the only thing that saves me from not getting anything checked out is after they say it's on my end I mention that I have 2 dsl lines to my house due to there lighting fast Internet is not enough to share with a family and other computers. Hey other then that all I can say it's still faster then dial up, well most of the time.

Comments:

Review by tubbynet See Profile

• Location: Eagar,Apache,AZ
Good "For location it was the best, speeds were stable"
Bad "High price, lousy tech support"
Overall "Not my first choice for internet service..."

I had this service several years ago, when I lived in a small mountain town in eastern Arizona. Until Citizens brought in DSL, there was only dial-up in the area. While the city was slow to be upgraded (approx 1.5 years from time the first home was linked up to the time the entire town was covered), there was a very high demand for the service. Being the only company in town to offer HSI, the price was very high (for what you got), but it was still very popular.

I believe at the time, the packages offered were 256/128 and 1M/128, and I had subscribed to the 1meg package and payed ~$60/month for the service. While I had very few problems, when something did arise, talking to tech support was a nightmare. Both times, the problem was in the way the phone line was dropped/connected from the main line to my point-of-presence. However, in the periods of uptime, the speeds were stable (though slow) and outages were few and far between.

The one positive aspect was that I was able to receive a SpeedStream 5200 for my DSL modem, and I was able to put it into bridge mode to allow my WRT54G (running DD-WRT) to handle all of my routing and not have to worry about a double-NAT setup. Now I believe customers in the area are receiving SpeedStream 6520's which combine the wireless, router, and 4-port switch all in one unit. Not sure if you can still request the older modem or not.

While this connection is still active (and I actually use it for remote e-mail via OpenVPN), I dread going up north and leaving my cable connection.

The bottom line:

While I'm sure that FrontierDSL is better in more metropolitan areas, I am not impressed. Though customer service is something I rarely use, when I need to tell them my service isn't working, I don't want to be told that its my fault (at least with Cox I can request to be bumped up to a level 2 or 3) and nearly be refused to be escalated. The price was high for what I got (though when it is put into context of where I was, I can't complain too loudly). Just do your research whenever Frontier is in the running of ISPs to make sure that you will get what is comparable for the area.

member for 6.7 years, 3533 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by JBrown07 See Profile

• Location: Wayne,Wayne,WV
Good "None I have seen yet"
Bad "Up and down speeds"
Overall "Makes Suddenlink Communications look like gold."

I actually don't have Frontier as my main Internet provider, my aunt does but I have been involved in every step of the process.

She got the DSL Internet as part of a promotion for a computer. Nice computer, but where is the Internet?

She has the "High Speed Internet Max" plain for $19.99/month with a 24 month contract. I have no clue what the actual download/upload speeds are since they are not listed on the bill.

The one thing about Frontier is they advertise their DSL Internet as a great alternative to cable and that it is lighting fast. I have barely seen the "lighting fast" Internet they claim to have.

The speeds bounce from 300 kb, 500 kb 1 MB or 3 MB (the fastest I have seen) mostly out of all the tests I have done the range that is most constant is 500-700 kb.

Upload is constant in all tests being around 364 kb, give or take a few KB.

When I actually called about their Internet service for my area as I was looking to ditch Suddenlink the max speed the CSR told me was 1 MB in my area, and they were rolling out a 3 MB speed in some areas.

Now this and the fact that my aunt's connection is slower than the 1.5 MB connection through Suddenlink turned me off of ditching Suddenlink.

I have used this Internet at my aunt's house just as much as my own and I must say that Suddenlink is reliable, constant 90% of the time.

So if your in the Wayne, WV area I recommend Suddenlink over Frontier.

Comments:

Review by faxmachine See Profile

• Location: Middletown,Orange,NY
Good "None I can think of."
Bad "Connectivity is expensive, slow and spotty. Modem a piece of crap. Support is mostly lame."
Overall "It's either this or the cable company."

·SONIC.NET
Most of the problems I've had with this ISP have been caused by the DSL modem/wireless router supplied by Frontier which is an all in one unit manufactured by Siemens. I had this service installed in my Mom's house here in Orange county NY over a year ago and getting the wireless to work properly has been a nightmare, I ended up hardwiring the connection to my Mom's computer so I could eliminate the problems with the wireless side of the modem. I've recently discovered the problem; P-NAT configs. deep in the Administrative//Security menus that in their default state don't let HTTP or any other kind of traffic through on the wireless side. You need to get into this menu and select the type of traffic (HTTP, FTP, etc.) those selections activate the ports responsible for that traffic. The modem seems to be working now that I've realized just what the P-NAT configs. are. Speeds are 675 kb/s down and 189 kb/s up and it's about $50/month so that's no bargain. The most annoying aspect to this whole situation was that no one in tech support could figure out the problem or give me any help beyond rebooting the modem and my computer. There is no instruction book for this modem and it took me a year to stumble on the solution myself (I live in CA an visit NY several times a year). One last thing, now that the wireless is working I'll leave my email rolling on my laptop all day and, I would say, that at least 40% of the time my email client returns an error stating that the email server was unreachable due to a network error. Just like they say in Southpark, your choices are basically between a douche and a turd sandwich (telco or cable co.). You choose.

Comments:

Review by Brian_M See Profile

• Location: Tucker,Dekalb,GA
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "None (after a year of service)"
Bad "LONG wait for everything (slow install, slow connections, slow tech support, slow everything)"
Overall "If there were ANYTHING better, I'd be there already"

·Charter
·Windstream
Obviously Frontier Net has a broad range of service across the country. This is Very specific to my experiences on the Navajo reservation in Arizona (Kayenta, AZ to be specific). Having worked in the IT field for more than a decade, used DSL and Cable as well as T1/T3 lines in all forms around several major cities, my standards are artificially high (or so I'm going to have to think to be able to stomach what I have to deal with here). I'm paying within $5 of what it cost to have 3.0Mb down back in Atlanta for what's Supposed to be 1Mb down here. Not that I've gotten over 150kbps down as of yet. And when I first got the modem, I was looking at speeds LESS than a 36.6 dial-up!! It took an uneducated tech about 2 hours of having me reset the damn modem before giving me the excuse that the 'line wasn't up yet' ~ hrm, how'd I have Any connection then? At least he spoke understandable English... that's all the good I can say about Tech thus-far.

Time to Live was a Pathetic 2 weeks. I've never waited 2 weeks to have ANY service turned on. Even in the backwoods of Georgia where my Inlaws live, Altell managed to get service and a modem to us within a business week. Shoot, the first speed test showed several hundred kbps over what the claimed maximums were.

Price-wise, spending $50/month on a neutered DSL service (shoot, I'm not even to DSL-Lite speeds yet, and that service is $35 in most places) absolutely turns my stomach. When the technology Clearly exists to provide normal 1500/256, and the national competition does provide that service (just not to the Indian Reservation), and yet the service is neutered to 1000/128 speaks Loads to me about how GREEDY the company must be. Hold a monopoly over an area and they proceed to price gouge.

As I mentioned above, if there were ANY other choice (satellite doesn't make it into the same value for the dollar range and there's no Cable internet here), I'd be there already. You can bet that I'll never move somewhere that's only serviced by Frontier Net ever again in my life and I'm going to Strongly recommend that anyone reading this and considering service goes in with a handful of salt After checking to make sure there are no other alternatives.

I'll update later on connectivity (% up) and billing. I bet those are screwed up in some way, shape or form too though.

-------------------------Update---------------------------------------

It's been a week now and there has yet to be a single solitary 24 hour period where my service doesn't drop to around 36.6 dialup speeds. This is usually right around noon. Today (8/25/04), service dropped out all-together. Put in a call to tech support, told them that I had already power-cycled and hard-reset the modem, router and computer ~ and that I'd removed the router from the system completely.. dumb, script reading tech had me on the phone for 40 minutes doing what? Power cycling and hard-resetting the components. It was then escalated and a 'repair ticket' issued that would be resolved between 24 and 48 hours... so I asked about prorating my fees for this month and was transfered to customer service who said INSTANTLY that Qwest was having line problems. WTF didn't the TECHS know about this?!!??

Yeah, just walk away from Frontiernet.net ~ it's NOT worth the frustration, high cost for quality of service (I've yet to get over 800kbps down). I'm throughly pissed off at this company.... I'm positive that the only reason they're even still in business is because they run a monopoly.

~~~~~~~~~~Edit~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And after a year with this service, line speed Still sucks (sometimes it's fine, then it'll drop for no reason). Customer service is NON-EXISTENT, cost is Still way above average and I still hate it. Best I can get for the price though (Directway would be my only other option outside of dialup.. can't even get a T1 line here).

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Edit 11/20/07 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I finally moved from the area, and even getting the cancellation was a PITA. It took us 6 MONTHS to finally get a letter stating that the account was closed. Meanwhile, they kept piling on the charges for 5 months after we have proof they received a written cancellation notice. Having been through that headache, I can only say that I'd not deal with them again, no matter the cost. I do honestly believe I'd rather be without internet than use Frontiernet.net.

member for 10.2 years, 754 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by Brownie43543 See Profile

• Location: Montpelier,Williams,OH
Good "It's never gone down. Bandwidth is fairly consistant."
Bad "They are the only option here, other than Sat, and they know that. $$$"
Overall "Far better than the alternative, Even at $50!"

I had to do my own installation. The installer activated the line to the network adapter outside - - then handed me the DSL modem and a length of wire. Told me it would be another $85 to come inside. This was on a new install of phone and DSL. Customer service never returned my calls with regard to service and billing questions. There DSL service is OK, but customer service and installation practices have been a joke to me.