Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by burner50 See Profile

• Location: Fort Dodge,Webster,IA
Good "Connection has never failed"
Bad "1.5 is fastest available"
Overall "Solid reliability, even if its slow"

Speeds are about half of advertised, this is probably due to my distance from the CO

»www.speedtest.net/result/200421271.png

770/160

i received a speedstream 6520

i told them i didnt want wireless, didnt want dsl filters hanging everywhere. i told them all i wanted them to do was hook up to my router and leave me instruction on getting everything set up on my own. I found my nice wireless n router on the other side of the room from where i had left in the speedstream's box and i was expected to use the speedstream's wireless which for some reason crippled the wireless speeds, AND the tech did not set up any wireless security.

I got wireless and have a dsl filter on every phone because i was away from home for work during the installation. The drop had been cut by the previous owner (he told me he did it on accident) of the house, but i had cable. Frontier's tech was focused more on the fact that the cable company had done it to try and make his job harder. instead of having a new drop buried he spliced the original and left it.

if you know what you are doing you can fix the install mistakes. I am currently trying to get them to install a 2 sided nid so i can place one filter in the nid and clean the install up a little bit... Its not working very well.

UPDATE:
I moved from one address to another in the same town. They charged me a $100 early contract termination fee even tho I was moving and wanting to reconnect at the new address. I have recently cancelled all services with fronter.

member for 12.2 years, 3975 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by daveshy See Profile

• Location: Clintonville,Waupaca,WI
Good "It's Something"
Bad "Only Option"
Overall "Avoid at all costs unless absolutely no other option."

My experience is that it is always my computer never and I mean never ever on their end when I am having issues. I pay a lot for a 1 meg dl speed and I just found out that cable has a min 5 meg dl speed at a lower cost then what I pay. I f I hear we will do a line test one more time I think I will pull out my hair!!! Oh and for me I am too far away for cable so I continue to suffer, whine ,complain, and most of all pray that these people will come into the 21st century with the speeds that I see out there! The tech guy they send out is a nice guy but he is someone that does not even really know computers. Of course the only thing that saves me from not getting anything checked out is after they say it's on my end I mention that I have 2 dsl lines to my house due to there lighting fast Internet is not enough to share with a family and other computers. Hey other then that all I can say it's still faster then dial up, well most of the time.

Comments:

Review by tubbynet See Profile

• Location: Eagar,Apache,AZ
Good "For location it was the best, speeds were stable"
Bad "High price, lousy tech support"
Overall "Not my first choice for internet service..."

I had this service several years ago, when I lived in a small mountain town in eastern Arizona. Until Citizens brought in DSL, there was only dial-up in the area. While the city was slow to be upgraded (approx 1.5 years from time the first home was linked up to the time the entire town was covered), there was a very high demand for the service. Being the only company in town to offer HSI, the price was very high (for what you got), but it was still very popular.

I believe at the time, the packages offered were 256/128 and 1M/128, and I had subscribed to the 1meg package and payed ~$60/month for the service. While I had very few problems, when something did arise, talking to tech support was a nightmare. Both times, the problem was in the way the phone line was dropped/connected from the main line to my point-of-presence. However, in the periods of uptime, the speeds were stable (though slow) and outages were few and far between.

The one positive aspect was that I was able to receive a SpeedStream 5200 for my DSL modem, and I was able to put it into bridge mode to allow my WRT54G (running DD-WRT) to handle all of my routing and not have to worry about a double-NAT setup. Now I believe customers in the area are receiving SpeedStream 6520's which combine the wireless, router, and 4-port switch all in one unit. Not sure if you can still request the older modem or not.

While this connection is still active (and I actually use it for remote e-mail via OpenVPN), I dread going up north and leaving my cable connection.

The bottom line:

While I'm sure that FrontierDSL is better in more metropolitan areas, I am not impressed. Though customer service is something I rarely use, when I need to tell them my service isn't working, I don't want to be told that its my fault (at least with Cox I can request to be bumped up to a level 2 or 3) and nearly be refused to be escalated. The price was high for what I got (though when it is put into context of where I was, I can't complain too loudly). Just do your research whenever Frontier is in the running of ISPs to make sure that you will get what is comparable for the area.

member for 6.5 years, 3460 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by JBrown07 See Profile

• Location: Wayne,Wayne,WV
Good "None I have seen yet"
Bad "Up and down speeds"
Overall "Makes Suddenlink Communications look like gold."

I actually don't have Frontier as my main Internet provider, my aunt does but I have been involved in every step of the process.

She got the DSL Internet as part of a promotion for a computer. Nice computer, but where is the Internet?

She has the "High Speed Internet Max" plain for $19.99/month with a 24 month contract. I have no clue what the actual download/upload speeds are since they are not listed on the bill.

The one thing about Frontier is they advertise their DSL Internet as a great alternative to cable and that it is lighting fast. I have barely seen the "lighting fast" Internet they claim to have.

The speeds bounce from 300 kb, 500 kb 1 MB or 3 MB (the fastest I have seen) mostly out of all the tests I have done the range that is most constant is 500-700 kb.

Upload is constant in all tests being around 364 kb, give or take a few KB.

When I actually called about their Internet service for my area as I was looking to ditch Suddenlink the max speed the CSR told me was 1 MB in my area, and they were rolling out a 3 MB speed in some areas.

Now this and the fact that my aunt's connection is slower than the 1.5 MB connection through Suddenlink turned me off of ditching Suddenlink.

I have used this Internet at my aunt's house just as much as my own and I must say that Suddenlink is reliable, constant 90% of the time.

So if your in the Wayne, WV area I recommend Suddenlink over Frontier.

Comments:

Review by faxmachine See Profile

• Location: Middletown,Orange,NY
Good "None I can think of."
Bad "Connectivity is expensive, slow and spotty. Modem a piece of crap. Support is mostly lame."
Overall "It's either this or the cable company."

·SONIC.NET
Most of the problems I've had with this ISP have been caused by the DSL modem/wireless router supplied by Frontier which is an all in one unit manufactured by Siemens. I had this service installed in my Mom's house here in Orange county NY over a year ago and getting the wireless to work properly has been a nightmare, I ended up hardwiring the connection to my Mom's computer so I could eliminate the problems with the wireless side of the modem. I've recently discovered the problem; P-NAT configs. deep in the Administrative//Security menus that in their default state don't let HTTP or any other kind of traffic through on the wireless side. You need to get into this menu and select the type of traffic (HTTP, FTP, etc.) those selections activate the ports responsible for that traffic. The modem seems to be working now that I've realized just what the P-NAT configs. are. Speeds are 675 kb/s down and 189 kb/s up and it's about $50/month so that's no bargain. The most annoying aspect to this whole situation was that no one in tech support could figure out the problem or give me any help beyond rebooting the modem and my computer. There is no instruction book for this modem and it took me a year to stumble on the solution myself (I live in CA an visit NY several times a year). One last thing, now that the wireless is working I'll leave my email rolling on my laptop all day and, I would say, that at least 40% of the time my email client returns an error stating that the email server was unreachable due to a network error. Just like they say in Southpark, your choices are basically between a douche and a turd sandwich (telco or cable co.). You choose.

Comments:

Review by Brian_M See Profile

• Location: Tucker,Dekalb,GA
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "None (after a year of service)"
Bad "LONG wait for everything (slow install, slow connections, slow tech support, slow everything)"
Overall "If there were ANYTHING better, I'd be there already"

·Charter
·Windstream
Obviously Frontier Net has a broad range of service across the country. This is Very specific to my experiences on the Navajo reservation in Arizona (Kayenta, AZ to be specific). Having worked in the IT field for more than a decade, used DSL and Cable as well as T1/T3 lines in all forms around several major cities, my standards are artificially high (or so I'm going to have to think to be able to stomach what I have to deal with here). I'm paying within $5 of what it cost to have 3.0Mb down back in Atlanta for what's Supposed to be 1Mb down here. Not that I've gotten over 150kbps down as of yet. And when I first got the modem, I was looking at speeds LESS than a 36.6 dial-up!! It took an uneducated tech about 2 hours of having me reset the damn modem before giving me the excuse that the 'line wasn't up yet' ~ hrm, how'd I have Any connection then? At least he spoke understandable English... that's all the good I can say about Tech thus-far.

Time to Live was a Pathetic 2 weeks. I've never waited 2 weeks to have ANY service turned on. Even in the backwoods of Georgia where my Inlaws live, Altell managed to get service and a modem to us within a business week. Shoot, the first speed test showed several hundred kbps over what the claimed maximums were.

Price-wise, spending $50/month on a neutered DSL service (shoot, I'm not even to DSL-Lite speeds yet, and that service is $35 in most places) absolutely turns my stomach. When the technology Clearly exists to provide normal 1500/256, and the national competition does provide that service (just not to the Indian Reservation), and yet the service is neutered to 1000/128 speaks Loads to me about how GREEDY the company must be. Hold a monopoly over an area and they proceed to price gouge.

As I mentioned above, if there were ANY other choice (satellite doesn't make it into the same value for the dollar range and there's no Cable internet here), I'd be there already. You can bet that I'll never move somewhere that's only serviced by Frontier Net ever again in my life and I'm going to Strongly recommend that anyone reading this and considering service goes in with a handful of salt After checking to make sure there are no other alternatives.

I'll update later on connectivity (% up) and billing. I bet those are screwed up in some way, shape or form too though.

-------------------------Update---------------------------------------

It's been a week now and there has yet to be a single solitary 24 hour period where my service doesn't drop to around 36.6 dialup speeds. This is usually right around noon. Today (8/25/04), service dropped out all-together. Put in a call to tech support, told them that I had already power-cycled and hard-reset the modem, router and computer ~ and that I'd removed the router from the system completely.. dumb, script reading tech had me on the phone for 40 minutes doing what? Power cycling and hard-resetting the components. It was then escalated and a 'repair ticket' issued that would be resolved between 24 and 48 hours... so I asked about prorating my fees for this month and was transfered to customer service who said INSTANTLY that Qwest was having line problems. WTF didn't the TECHS know about this?!!??

Yeah, just walk away from Frontiernet.net ~ it's NOT worth the frustration, high cost for quality of service (I've yet to get over 800kbps down). I'm throughly pissed off at this company.... I'm positive that the only reason they're even still in business is because they run a monopoly.

~~~~~~~~~~Edit~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And after a year with this service, line speed Still sucks (sometimes it's fine, then it'll drop for no reason). Customer service is NON-EXISTENT, cost is Still way above average and I still hate it. Best I can get for the price though (Directway would be my only other option outside of dialup.. can't even get a T1 line here).

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Edit 11/20/07 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I finally moved from the area, and even getting the cancellation was a PITA. It took us 6 MONTHS to finally get a letter stating that the account was closed. Meanwhile, they kept piling on the charges for 5 months after we have proof they received a written cancellation notice. Having been through that headache, I can only say that I'd not deal with them again, no matter the cost. I do honestly believe I'd rather be without internet than use Frontiernet.net.

member for 10.1 years, 706 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Brownie43543 See Profile

• Location: Montpelier,Williams,OH
Good "It's never gone down. Bandwidth is fairly consistant."
Bad "They are the only option here, other than Sat, and they know that. $$$"
Overall "Far better than the alternative, Even at $50!"

I had to do my own installation. The installer activated the line to the network adapter outside - - then handed me the DSL modem and a length of wire. Told me it would be another $85 to come inside. This was on a new install of phone and DSL. Customer service never returned my calls with regard to service and billing questions. There DSL service is OK, but customer service and installation practices have been a joke to me.

Comments:

Review by horon See Profile

• Location: Shingletown,Shasta,CA
Good "Very rarely down, reliable if slow connection."
Bad "Slow, average ping is 250-260 ms."
Overall "The only DSL ISP in my area, has no incentive to upgrade equipment"

Repair service is very good, line is very rarely down, reliable if slow connection, OK for shopping or reading. But, slow max residential line is 1 meg, average ping is 250-260 ms, often higher, impossible to play online games , very slow upload speeds, average 125 kbp, affects Skype and VOIP connections.

The only DSL ISP and phone service provider in my area (Shingletown, CA), refuses to lease lines to other ISPs and thus has no incentive to upgrade equipment or service.

Very expensive for what you get.

Comments:

Review by Irun Man See Profile

• Location: Walden,Orange,NY
Good "Friendly sales staff, easy install with DHCP (PPPoA)"
Bad "expensive for DL speeds offered, now charging modem rental fee"
Overall "cable is STILL a better value here; true competition would change that"

BUMMER... I'm a current Optimum Online customer, about to move out of their service area! NO other residential ISP offers their download speeds, not even close!! I had to choose between this DSL service and cable (Road Runner, Earthlink or AOL BB). Since RR is $60. a month without a cable package I checked into Frontier and decided to give them a go. Bundled local phone service with their DSL Max is $65. a month; not bad! FrontierNet advertises download speeds up to 3 MBPS with this service, but it only happens in Rochester for now. Since I was paying $35. for Verizon DSL 768/128, this seemed like it was worth a try. I ordered phone and DSL service at the same time on December 17; Frontier shipped the Efficient Networks model 5200 modem and microfilters on the 18th, they arrived on the 23rd. My service won't be live until the 29th, so i'll post an update as soon as there's news.

UPDATE 12/30: The dial tone came on early morning of the 29th as promised. Got my PC hooked up in the afternoon, but the modem didn't sync. Called support, they say they're still working on it and should be ready by 7pm. That time came and it was still dead; called again, they say the ticket's still open and it should be on later tonight or tommorow. Next morning it still wasn't up. Tried to connect via my dial-up ISP and that's when I found the problem... NO DIAL TONE!! What a dummy I am; should have checked that yesterday. Rolled the PC to a working phone jack, plugged the modem in and it synced in less than a minute. DHCP was a VERY pleasant surprise; no DUN to deal with! Speeds after tweaking were 865/108, within Frontiernet's 80% threshhold; pings solidly in the 30's (not as good as OOL, but since I don't game it's good enough for now). I'll update again in a few days with reliability news.

UPDATE 12/31: The good news keeps coming! I cleaned up the connection to the telco jack in the room where I was having the problem; DSL and dial tone are perfect now. Speeds are as good as yesterday; I am also impressed with the 25MB total e-mail AND 25MB web storage space! Connection has been solid too; line quality is surprisingly VERY GOOD. Overall throughput is better than I expected.

UPDATE 1/08/04: The connection has been rock solid! Last speed test was 870/108, best so far and that's @ 5:45 p.m. on a Thursday, so throughput does not disappoint! Don't use e-mail or news enough to pass judgement on those yet, but so far I am most impressed. WTG FrontierNet!!

UPDATE 1/31/04: The service is still great with no downtime and consistent throughput, but you may noticed that I've lowered the value rating by two notches, and HERE'S WHY... I did some number crunching after receiving my latest phone bill from Frontier and I discovered something I didn't like at all. Don't get me wrong: $35. a month for 870KB down is not bad. HERE'S THE RUB: I pay for Frontier DSL Max bundled with local phone service. A whole lot of taxes, surcharges and fees are based on your telephone charges. When you bundle, the DSL is considered part of your phone service (not a seperate data service) and is taxed accordingly; you wind up paying an additional $10-11 a month! That means I am actually paying $46 a month for DSL. Since Earthlink Cable is $42. a month for up to THREE TIMES the download speed and DOUBLE the upload (not to mention a current promo for $30. a month for first 6 months and free install), I am ordering that today and will likely cancel this DSL service. Stay tuned!

update 2/25/04: Earthlink cable has been up and running here without a hiccup for six days, and yesterday Frontiernet reluctantly closed my DSL account. The modem still syncs, but since I can't check mail at their server I'd say it's gone. They are sending a prepaid shipping label to return the modem. It was a good ride and I'd recommend them to anyone in this area IF ONLY they'd lower their rates at least 20% or so, then the value would be there.

update 9/10/07: Frontier sent me an offer in snail mail (I went back to POTS 11 months ago) to re-up with their DSL product. They are now offering up to 3 mbps down for $24.99 a month for one year, $34.99 a month the second year with a modem rental fee of $3.99 a month and a two year contract with a $200 ETF. Sorry guys, your speeds are better now BUT there's NO WAY I'm going to lock into a contract now, when I am quite content with Road Runner Lite 768/128 @ $29.95 a month, no modem rental charge, NO CONTRACT. You telcos STILL DON'T GET IT. Nice offer, but still not good enough here.

Comments:

Review by phite See Profile

• Location: Sacramento,Sacramento,CA
Good "Has been very reliable"
Bad "Speeds are slow compared to competition"
Overall "Price is a little high for the speed in today's date, but the service is reliable."

I got Frontier about 5 years ago and at that time they had 1 mbps down/ 128 kpbs up. They boosted the speed a couple of years ago to 3 mbps, but now it seems that the connection speed is slower than what is offered. I believe it may be due to outdated hardware which I have since my service began. I will try to contact them and try to get new hardware so I can get the 8 mbps or 12 mbps which is supposed to be available in my area. The service itself has been very reliable and has been down only a few times in the past couple of years. I haven't called the tech support in a long time now so I can't say how they are at this time but when I did call there always seemed to be a long wait time. The service itself at that time seemed okay while the only problem was that they kept asking me to do stupid things that really never cause these problems. For example they would ask me to plug the modem directly into the wall, this happened every time I called in and it was never the problem. However the tech support did solve any problems I had in the past. I am looking to upgrade my hardware now and get up to the new speed. As of now the only thing that would take me away from Frontier is if they cannot give me the 8 meg speed that I am looking for through them.