Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by Brian_M See Profile

• Location: Tucker,Dekalb,GA
  • Telco party Qwest
Good "None (after a year of service)"
Bad "LONG wait for everything (slow install, slow connections, slow tech support, slow everything)"
Overall "If there were ANYTHING better, I'd be there already"

·Charter
·Windstream
Obviously Frontier Net has a broad range of service across the country. This is Very specific to my experiences on the Navajo reservation in Arizona (Kayenta, AZ to be specific). Having worked in the IT field for more than a decade, used DSL and Cable as well as T1/T3 lines in all forms around several major cities, my standards are artificially high (or so I'm going to have to think to be able to stomach what I have to deal with here). I'm paying within $5 of what it cost to have 3.0Mb down back in Atlanta for what's Supposed to be 1Mb down here. Not that I've gotten over 150kbps down as of yet. And when I first got the modem, I was looking at speeds LESS than a 36.6 dial-up!! It took an uneducated tech about 2 hours of having me reset the damn modem before giving me the excuse that the 'line wasn't up yet' ~ hrm, how'd I have Any connection then? At least he spoke understandable English... that's all the good I can say about Tech thus-far.

Time to Live was a Pathetic 2 weeks. I've never waited 2 weeks to have ANY service turned on. Even in the backwoods of Georgia where my Inlaws live, Altell managed to get service and a modem to us within a business week. Shoot, the first speed test showed several hundred kbps over what the claimed maximums were.

Price-wise, spending $50/month on a neutered DSL service (shoot, I'm not even to DSL-Lite speeds yet, and that service is $35 in most places) absolutely turns my stomach. When the technology Clearly exists to provide normal 1500/256, and the national competition does provide that service (just not to the Indian Reservation), and yet the service is neutered to 1000/128 speaks Loads to me about how GREEDY the company must be. Hold a monopoly over an area and they proceed to price gouge.

As I mentioned above, if there were ANY other choice (satellite doesn't make it into the same value for the dollar range and there's no Cable internet here), I'd be there already. You can bet that I'll never move somewhere that's only serviced by Frontier Net ever again in my life and I'm going to Strongly recommend that anyone reading this and considering service goes in with a handful of salt After checking to make sure there are no other alternatives.

I'll update later on connectivity (% up) and billing. I bet those are screwed up in some way, shape or form too though.

-------------------------Update---------------------------------------

It's been a week now and there has yet to be a single solitary 24 hour period where my service doesn't drop to around 36.6 dialup speeds. This is usually right around noon. Today (8/25/04), service dropped out all-together. Put in a call to tech support, told them that I had already power-cycled and hard-reset the modem, router and computer ~ and that I'd removed the router from the system completely.. dumb, script reading tech had me on the phone for 40 minutes doing what? Power cycling and hard-resetting the components. It was then escalated and a 'repair ticket' issued that would be resolved between 24 and 48 hours... so I asked about prorating my fees for this month and was transfered to customer service who said INSTANTLY that Qwest was having line problems. WTF didn't the TECHS know about this?!!??

Yeah, just walk away from Frontiernet.net ~ it's NOT worth the frustration, high cost for quality of service (I've yet to get over 800kbps down). I'm throughly pissed off at this company.... I'm positive that the only reason they're even still in business is because they run a monopoly.

~~~~~~~~~~Edit~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And after a year with this service, line speed Still sucks (sometimes it's fine, then it'll drop for no reason). Customer service is NON-EXISTENT, cost is Still way above average and I still hate it. Best I can get for the price though (Directway would be my only other option outside of dialup.. can't even get a T1 line here).

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Edit 11/20/07 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I finally moved from the area, and even getting the cancellation was a PITA. It took us 6 MONTHS to finally get a letter stating that the account was closed. Meanwhile, they kept piling on the charges for 5 months after we have proof they received a written cancellation notice. Having been through that headache, I can only say that I'd not deal with them again, no matter the cost. I do honestly believe I'd rather be without internet than use Frontiernet.net.

member for 10.5 years, 824 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Brownie43543 See Profile

• Location: Montpelier,Williams,OH
Good "It's never gone down. Bandwidth is fairly consistant."
Bad "They are the only option here, other than Sat, and they know that. $$$"
Overall "Far better than the alternative, Even at $50!"

I had to do my own installation. The installer activated the line to the network adapter outside - - then handed me the DSL modem and a length of wire. Told me it would be another $85 to come inside. This was on a new install of phone and DSL. Customer service never returned my calls with regard to service and billing questions. There DSL service is OK, but customer service and installation practices have been a joke to me.

Comments:

Review by horon See Profile

• Location: Shingletown,Shasta,CA
Good "Very rarely down, reliable if slow connection."
Bad "Slow, average ping is 250-260 ms."
Overall "The only DSL ISP in my area, has no incentive to upgrade equipment"

Repair service is very good, line is very rarely down, reliable if slow connection, OK for shopping or reading. But, slow max residential line is 1 meg, average ping is 250-260 ms, often higher, impossible to play online games , very slow upload speeds, average 125 kbp, affects Skype and VOIP connections.

The only DSL ISP and phone service provider in my area (Shingletown, CA), refuses to lease lines to other ISPs and thus has no incentive to upgrade equipment or service.

Very expensive for what you get.

Comments:

Review by Irun Man See Profile

• Location: Walden,Orange,NY
Good "Friendly sales staff, easy install with DHCP (PPPoA)"
Bad "expensive for DL speeds offered, now charging modem rental fee"
Overall "cable is STILL a better value here; true competition would change that"

BUMMER... I'm a current Optimum Online customer, about to move out of their service area! NO other residential ISP offers their download speeds, not even close!! I had to choose between this DSL service and cable (Road Runner, Earthlink or AOL BB). Since RR is $60. a month without a cable package I checked into Frontier and decided to give them a go. Bundled local phone service with their DSL Max is $65. a month; not bad! FrontierNet advertises download speeds up to 3 MBPS with this service, but it only happens in Rochester for now. Since I was paying $35. for Verizon DSL 768/128, this seemed like it was worth a try. I ordered phone and DSL service at the same time on December 17; Frontier shipped the Efficient Networks model 5200 modem and microfilters on the 18th, they arrived on the 23rd. My service won't be live until the 29th, so i'll post an update as soon as there's news.

UPDATE 12/30: The dial tone came on early morning of the 29th as promised. Got my PC hooked up in the afternoon, but the modem didn't sync. Called support, they say they're still working on it and should be ready by 7pm. That time came and it was still dead; called again, they say the ticket's still open and it should be on later tonight or tommorow. Next morning it still wasn't up. Tried to connect via my dial-up ISP and that's when I found the problem... NO DIAL TONE!! What a dummy I am; should have checked that yesterday. Rolled the PC to a working phone jack, plugged the modem in and it synced in less than a minute. DHCP was a VERY pleasant surprise; no DUN to deal with! Speeds after tweaking were 865/108, within Frontiernet's 80% threshhold; pings solidly in the 30's (not as good as OOL, but since I don't game it's good enough for now). I'll update again in a few days with reliability news.

UPDATE 12/31: The good news keeps coming! I cleaned up the connection to the telco jack in the room where I was having the problem; DSL and dial tone are perfect now. Speeds are as good as yesterday; I am also impressed with the 25MB total e-mail AND 25MB web storage space! Connection has been solid too; line quality is surprisingly VERY GOOD. Overall throughput is better than I expected.

UPDATE 1/08/04: The connection has been rock solid! Last speed test was 870/108, best so far and that's @ 5:45 p.m. on a Thursday, so throughput does not disappoint! Don't use e-mail or news enough to pass judgement on those yet, but so far I am most impressed. WTG FrontierNet!!

UPDATE 1/31/04: The service is still great with no downtime and consistent throughput, but you may noticed that I've lowered the value rating by two notches, and HERE'S WHY... I did some number crunching after receiving my latest phone bill from Frontier and I discovered something I didn't like at all. Don't get me wrong: $35. a month for 870KB down is not bad. HERE'S THE RUB: I pay for Frontier DSL Max bundled with local phone service. A whole lot of taxes, surcharges and fees are based on your telephone charges. When you bundle, the DSL is considered part of your phone service (not a seperate data service) and is taxed accordingly; you wind up paying an additional $10-11 a month! That means I am actually paying $46 a month for DSL. Since Earthlink Cable is $42. a month for up to THREE TIMES the download speed and DOUBLE the upload (not to mention a current promo for $30. a month for first 6 months and free install), I am ordering that today and will likely cancel this DSL service. Stay tuned!

update 2/25/04: Earthlink cable has been up and running here without a hiccup for six days, and yesterday Frontiernet reluctantly closed my DSL account. The modem still syncs, but since I can't check mail at their server I'd say it's gone. They are sending a prepaid shipping label to return the modem. It was a good ride and I'd recommend them to anyone in this area IF ONLY they'd lower their rates at least 20% or so, then the value would be there.

update 9/10/07: Frontier sent me an offer in snail mail (I went back to POTS 11 months ago) to re-up with their DSL product. They are now offering up to 3 mbps down for $24.99 a month for one year, $34.99 a month the second year with a modem rental fee of $3.99 a month and a two year contract with a $200 ETF. Sorry guys, your speeds are better now BUT there's NO WAY I'm going to lock into a contract now, when I am quite content with Road Runner Lite 768/128 @ $29.95 a month, no modem rental charge, NO CONTRACT. You telcos STILL DON'T GET IT. Nice offer, but still not good enough here.

member for 12.1 years, 4489 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by phite See Profile

• Location: Sacramento,Sacramento,CA
Good "Has been very reliable"
Bad "Speeds are slow compared to competition"
Overall "Price is a little high for the speed in today's date, but the service is reliable."

I got Frontier about 5 years ago and at that time they had 1 mbps down/ 128 kpbs up. They boosted the speed a couple of years ago to 3 mbps, but now it seems that the connection speed is slower than what is offered. I believe it may be due to outdated hardware which I have since my service began. I will try to contact them and try to get new hardware so I can get the 8 mbps or 12 mbps which is supposed to be available in my area. The service itself has been very reliable and has been down only a few times in the past couple of years. I haven't called the tech support in a long time now so I can't say how they are at this time but when I did call there always seemed to be a long wait time. The service itself at that time seemed okay while the only problem was that they kept asking me to do stupid things that really never cause these problems. For example they would ask me to plug the modem directly into the wall, this happened every time I called in and it was never the problem. However the tech support did solve any problems I had in the past. I am looking to upgrade my hardware now and get up to the new speed. As of now the only thing that would take me away from Frontier is if they cannot give me the 8 meg speed that I am looking for through them.

Comments:

Review by halogrumman See Profile

• Location: Rhinebeck,Dutchess,NY
Good "UMMM none"
Bad "Everthing"
Overall "Horrible, would drop it for anything else, unfortonately its all i got"

Frontier dsl was good the first 2 days that i've had it after that it has slowed down dramaticly and is very ustable. Unfortonatly for me i run an online business and need dsl. Frontier is the only dsl company around me, also i can't get cable. Man does Frontier Suck!

Comments:

Review by logcabinboy See Profile

• Location: Whitmore,Shasta,CA
Good "The only landline broadband available"
Bad "Very bad latency every evening"
Overall "No other choice, but I am happier than with dialup."

I was contacted by a service tech telling me that DSL was available to me, and if interested I could call their customer service line. I did that about a week later on a Monday and was told a tech would be available to install the following Monday. That day the package was waiting when I got home from work.

Recieved a speedstream modem/Router combo (not quite sure how I feel about it yet). The connection works really well most of the time, but occasionally it just stops, much like my dialup account also did. I can live with that though. I was never told what my downstream/upstream would be but I'm assuming it is 1500/256 and get a good 1250/220 on speed tests.

Overall, I'm fairly satisfied to have it and feel sort of lucky since I do live in a tiny town up in the mountains.

Comments:

Review by faheyd See Profile

• Location: Alturas,Modoc,CA
Good "Finally upgraded my line to 2mb down, 320kb up"
Bad "Absolutly worst customer service, tech suppport"
Overall "AVOID AT ALL COSTS"

Although after 2 years, they finally upgraded my dsl connection to what it was SUPPOSED to be, I've been fighting with tech support to fix latency problems.

2 74-38-0-1.dsl1.pco.ca.frontiernet.net (74.38.0.1) 25 ms 53 ms 36 ms

r01.plal.ca.frontiernet.net.ca.front (74.40.3.150) 214 ms 207 ms

6 * * *

7 209.85.130.6 (209.85.130.6) 127 ms 66 ms 63 ms

8 209.85.251.34 (209.85.251.34) 82 ms 38 ms 34 ms

9 209.85.251.98 (209.85.251.98) 48 ms 209.85.251.94 (209.85.251.94) 40 ms 209.85.251.98 (209.85.251.98) 47 ms

10 74.125.19.147 (74.125.19.147) 33 ms 70 ms 53 ms

74.125.19.103 (74.125.19.103) 34 ms 33 ms 52 ms

Notice the bad latency in hops 3,4,5, which are all frontiernet.net's equipment (first hop is the remote office that I can see from my house). These morons at their NOC just can't figure out why I can't keep a VIOP or gaming session up. What you are seeing is just the tip of the iceberg. Those routers fluctuate wildly, from normal 30-40ms to over 300ms. I regularly get kicked off servers daily. When the frontiernet network is working, it's nice, but most of the time, it's garbage and no one in their NOC will fix it. I've got emails from over 7 months complaining about it. The line repair guys (really nice) say we are screwed because frontiernet doesn't get a rats azz about its customers. I'm a retired USAF Telecommunications Systems Tech and have installed more fiber, routers, and switches than I care to remember, and these MORONS at frontiernet have pissed me off to no end. How many times do I need to reset a modem (which shows NO ERRORS at all) to prove it's their fault. Jesus, look at the traceroute, it's plain and simple that if every time the network is acting up and it's those routers in Redding CA that are screwed up, well, come on, get a clue. I'm pretty sure that they are using an ATM backbone and they just can't figure it out, along with routing protocols. I am just so disgusted with the company.

Comments:

Review by mudshark See Profile

• Location: Glen Spey,Sullivan,NY
Good "None"
Bad "They lose emails and do not ack this"
Overall "will not support their own systems"

Have been trying for weeks now to get them to fix a problem where they lose emails that are sent to me. On the phone they say they're on it but they never call back and never fix it.

Comments:

Review by ramsfan7 See Profile

• Location: Golden Eagle,Calhoun,IL
Good "Got to ditch my DirecWay Dish in rural area"
Bad "$600!!!! early termination fees"
Overall "Avoid Frontier promotions at all costs"

No I didn't get the free Dell PC and now they want their money; that would have only been $400 anyway and at least I would have had a sub-par PC to show for it.

I was in month 10 of a one year term when we moved out of state. Can't do much there, they were even prompt enough to disconnect my phone and internet a day early.

Did they warn me when I signed up for these services? What do you think? I'm sure they said something nebulous like "early termination fees may apply".

Bottomline, avoid their promotions!

member for 12.5 years, 339 visits, last login: 7.4 years ago