Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by horon See Profile

• Location: Shingletown,Shasta,CA
Good "Very rarely down, reliable if slow connection."
Bad "Slow, average ping is 250-260 ms."
Overall "The only DSL ISP in my area, has no incentive to upgrade equipment"

Repair service is very good, line is very rarely down, reliable if slow connection, OK for shopping or reading. But, slow max residential line is 1 meg, average ping is 250-260 ms, often higher, impossible to play online games , very slow upload speeds, average 125 kbp, affects Skype and VOIP connections.

The only DSL ISP and phone service provider in my area (Shingletown, CA), refuses to lease lines to other ISPs and thus has no incentive to upgrade equipment or service.

Very expensive for what you get.

Comments:

Review by Irun Man See Profile

• Location: Walden,Orange,NY
Good "Friendly sales staff, easy install with DHCP (PPPoA)"
Bad "expensive for DL speeds offered, now charging modem rental fee"
Overall "cable is STILL a better value here; true competition would change that"

BUMMER... I'm a current Optimum Online customer, about to move out of their service area! NO other residential ISP offers their download speeds, not even close!! I had to choose between this DSL service and cable (Road Runner, Earthlink or AOL BB). Since RR is $60. a month without a cable package I checked into Frontier and decided to give them a go. Bundled local phone service with their DSL Max is $65. a month; not bad! FrontierNet advertises download speeds up to 3 MBPS with this service, but it only happens in Rochester for now. Since I was paying $35. for Verizon DSL 768/128, this seemed like it was worth a try. I ordered phone and DSL service at the same time on December 17; Frontier shipped the Efficient Networks model 5200 modem and microfilters on the 18th, they arrived on the 23rd. My service won't be live until the 29th, so i'll post an update as soon as there's news.

UPDATE 12/30: The dial tone came on early morning of the 29th as promised. Got my PC hooked up in the afternoon, but the modem didn't sync. Called support, they say they're still working on it and should be ready by 7pm. That time came and it was still dead; called again, they say the ticket's still open and it should be on later tonight or tommorow. Next morning it still wasn't up. Tried to connect via my dial-up ISP and that's when I found the problem... NO DIAL TONE!! What a dummy I am; should have checked that yesterday. Rolled the PC to a working phone jack, plugged the modem in and it synced in less than a minute. DHCP was a VERY pleasant surprise; no DUN to deal with! Speeds after tweaking were 865/108, within Frontiernet's 80% threshhold; pings solidly in the 30's (not as good as OOL, but since I don't game it's good enough for now). I'll update again in a few days with reliability news.

UPDATE 12/31: The good news keeps coming! I cleaned up the connection to the telco jack in the room where I was having the problem; DSL and dial tone are perfect now. Speeds are as good as yesterday; I am also impressed with the 25MB total e-mail AND 25MB web storage space! Connection has been solid too; line quality is surprisingly VERY GOOD. Overall throughput is better than I expected.

UPDATE 1/08/04: The connection has been rock solid! Last speed test was 870/108, best so far and that's @ 5:45 p.m. on a Thursday, so throughput does not disappoint! Don't use e-mail or news enough to pass judgement on those yet, but so far I am most impressed. WTG FrontierNet!!

UPDATE 1/31/04: The service is still great with no downtime and consistent throughput, but you may noticed that I've lowered the value rating by two notches, and HERE'S WHY... I did some number crunching after receiving my latest phone bill from Frontier and I discovered something I didn't like at all. Don't get me wrong: $35. a month for 870KB down is not bad. HERE'S THE RUB: I pay for Frontier DSL Max bundled with local phone service. A whole lot of taxes, surcharges and fees are based on your telephone charges. When you bundle, the DSL is considered part of your phone service (not a seperate data service) and is taxed accordingly; you wind up paying an additional $10-11 a month! That means I am actually paying $46 a month for DSL. Since Earthlink Cable is $42. a month for up to THREE TIMES the download speed and DOUBLE the upload (not to mention a current promo for $30. a month for first 6 months and free install), I am ordering that today and will likely cancel this DSL service. Stay tuned!

update 2/25/04: Earthlink cable has been up and running here without a hiccup for six days, and yesterday Frontiernet reluctantly closed my DSL account. The modem still syncs, but since I can't check mail at their server I'd say it's gone. They are sending a prepaid shipping label to return the modem. It was a good ride and I'd recommend them to anyone in this area IF ONLY they'd lower their rates at least 20% or so, then the value would be there.

update 9/10/07: Frontier sent me an offer in snail mail (I went back to POTS 11 months ago) to re-up with their DSL product. They are now offering up to 3 mbps down for $24.99 a month for one year, $34.99 a month the second year with a modem rental fee of $3.99 a month and a two year contract with a $200 ETF. Sorry guys, your speeds are better now BUT there's NO WAY I'm going to lock into a contract now, when I am quite content with Road Runner Lite 768/128 @ $29.95 a month, no modem rental charge, NO CONTRACT. You telcos STILL DON'T GET IT. Nice offer, but still not good enough here.

Comments:

Review by phite See Profile

• Location: Sacramento,Sacramento,CA
Good "Has been very reliable"
Bad "Speeds are slow compared to competition"
Overall "Price is a little high for the speed in today's date, but the service is reliable."

I got Frontier about 5 years ago and at that time they had 1 mbps down/ 128 kpbs up. They boosted the speed a couple of years ago to 3 mbps, but now it seems that the connection speed is slower than what is offered. I believe it may be due to outdated hardware which I have since my service began. I will try to contact them and try to get new hardware so I can get the 8 mbps or 12 mbps which is supposed to be available in my area. The service itself has been very reliable and has been down only a few times in the past couple of years. I haven't called the tech support in a long time now so I can't say how they are at this time but when I did call there always seemed to be a long wait time. The service itself at that time seemed okay while the only problem was that they kept asking me to do stupid things that really never cause these problems. For example they would ask me to plug the modem directly into the wall, this happened every time I called in and it was never the problem. However the tech support did solve any problems I had in the past. I am looking to upgrade my hardware now and get up to the new speed. As of now the only thing that would take me away from Frontier is if they cannot give me the 8 meg speed that I am looking for through them.

Comments:

Review by halogrumman See Profile

• Location: Rhinebeck,Dutchess,NY
Good "UMMM none"
Bad "Everthing"
Overall "Horrible, would drop it for anything else, unfortonately its all i got"

Frontier dsl was good the first 2 days that i've had it after that it has slowed down dramaticly and is very ustable. Unfortonatly for me i run an online business and need dsl. Frontier is the only dsl company around me, also i can't get cable. Man does Frontier Suck!

Comments:

Review by logcabinboy See Profile

• Location: Whitmore,Shasta,CA
Good "The only landline broadband available"
Bad "Very bad latency every evening"
Overall "No other choice, but I am happier than with dialup."

I was contacted by a service tech telling me that DSL was available to me, and if interested I could call their customer service line. I did that about a week later on a Monday and was told a tech would be available to install the following Monday. That day the package was waiting when I got home from work.

Recieved a speedstream modem/Router combo (not quite sure how I feel about it yet). The connection works really well most of the time, but occasionally it just stops, much like my dialup account also did. I can live with that though. I was never told what my downstream/upstream would be but I'm assuming it is 1500/256 and get a good 1250/220 on speed tests.

Overall, I'm fairly satisfied to have it and feel sort of lucky since I do live in a tiny town up in the mountains.

Comments:

Review by faheyd See Profile

• Location: Alturas,Modoc,CA
Good "Finally upgraded my line to 2mb down, 320kb up"
Bad "Absolutly worst customer service, tech suppport"
Overall "AVOID AT ALL COSTS"

Although after 2 years, they finally upgraded my dsl connection to what it was SUPPOSED to be, I've been fighting with tech support to fix latency problems.

2 74-38-0-1.dsl1.pco.ca.frontiernet.net (74.38.0.1) 25 ms 53 ms 36 ms

r01.plal.ca.frontiernet.net.ca.front (74.40.3.150) 214 ms 207 ms

6 * * *

7 209.85.130.6 (209.85.130.6) 127 ms 66 ms 63 ms

8 209.85.251.34 (209.85.251.34) 82 ms 38 ms 34 ms

9 209.85.251.98 (209.85.251.98) 48 ms 209.85.251.94 (209.85.251.94) 40 ms 209.85.251.98 (209.85.251.98) 47 ms

10 74.125.19.147 (74.125.19.147) 33 ms 70 ms 53 ms

74.125.19.103 (74.125.19.103) 34 ms 33 ms 52 ms

Notice the bad latency in hops 3,4,5, which are all frontiernet.net's equipment (first hop is the remote office that I can see from my house). These morons at their NOC just can't figure out why I can't keep a VIOP or gaming session up. What you are seeing is just the tip of the iceberg. Those routers fluctuate wildly, from normal 30-40ms to over 300ms. I regularly get kicked off servers daily. When the frontiernet network is working, it's nice, but most of the time, it's garbage and no one in their NOC will fix it. I've got emails from over 7 months complaining about it. The line repair guys (really nice) say we are screwed because frontiernet doesn't get a rats azz about its customers. I'm a retired USAF Telecommunications Systems Tech and have installed more fiber, routers, and switches than I care to remember, and these MORONS at frontiernet have pissed me off to no end. How many times do I need to reset a modem (which shows NO ERRORS at all) to prove it's their fault. Jesus, look at the traceroute, it's plain and simple that if every time the network is acting up and it's those routers in Redding CA that are screwed up, well, come on, get a clue. I'm pretty sure that they are using an ATM backbone and they just can't figure it out, along with routing protocols. I am just so disgusted with the company.

Comments:

Review by mudshark See Profile

• Location: Glen Spey,Sullivan,NY
Good "None"
Bad "They lose emails and do not ack this"
Overall "will not support their own systems"

Have been trying for weeks now to get them to fix a problem where they lose emails that are sent to me. On the phone they say they're on it but they never call back and never fix it.

Comments:

Review by ramsfan7 See Profile

• Location: Golden Eagle,Calhoun,IL
Good "Got to ditch my DirecWay Dish in rural area"
Bad "$600!!!! early termination fees"
Overall "Avoid Frontier promotions at all costs"

No I didn't get the free Dell PC and now they want their money; that would have only been $400 anyway and at least I would have had a sub-par PC to show for it.

I was in month 10 of a one year term when we moved out of state. Can't do much there, they were even prompt enough to disconnect my phone and internet a day early.

Did they warn me when I signed up for these services? What do you think? I'm sure they said something nebulous like "early termination fees may apply".

Bottomline, avoid their promotions!

member for 12.3 years, 339 visits, last login: 7.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by bbarrera See Profile

• Location: Elk Grove,Sacramento,CA
Good "rock solid"
Bad "speeds slower than Surewest, Comcast & PacBell"
Overall "OK for business class service, not competitive on speeds"

I'm basically happy with FrontierNet's business-class quality of service and technical support, however the connection speed is not competitive. They are overdue to introduce ADSL 2 in this area, which should raise downloads to 10Mbps. A bit of apples and oranges -- Surewest is selling consumer 20M/20Mbps service for $50/month (1st year special) while Frontier is selling 2000/256kbps *BIZ CLASS* at $70/month on a 3 year contract. I've got a dual-wan router and use Frontier for business and Surewest for after-hours.

member for 14 years, 7301 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by curtisk2 See Profile

• Location: Frankford,ON
Good "Better than Dial Up"
Bad "Five Weeks No Service, Horrible Customer Service"
Overall "When signing any contract think twice and do your homework."

I live in Rural Ontario where neither cable nor DSL are available to me. A friend told me about a new wireless radio high speed internet service available in the area. How it works is they place a radio modem on your roof, and point it at their radio modem mounted on a telecommunications tower. This technology has been around for a long time in the industrial sector for data acquisition and control systems. This high speed internet for the lay person is essentially the same so I thought I would give it a try. It works pretty well, when it works. This is where I would like to caution anyone considering using Frontier Communications from Belleville Ontario.

One day my internet service suddenly became slow, slower than dial up, could only receive email, not send, and most web pages that had a click to see the next page button just wouldn’t work. I gave them a few days over the weekend to get things fixed but no luck. I called on a Monday morning to find out what the problem was. I was told the local college radio station was causing interference with there signal and to complain to the college. Made sense, so that’s what I did. I got an email back from the owner of the communications tower stating that I was misinformed by Frontier Communications and that all clients using the tower sign a contract with them to ensure there is no interference from any other client using the tower. But this was not the case with Frontier Communications, he stated Frontier Communications would not / did not sign a contract, and are at risk of having there signal interfered with by his clients and that the local college had followed all requirements and was not to blame. I confronted Frontier Communications about this but they said is this wasn’t true and did not explain or offer any further information. Guess I caught them in a little white lie. Oh yeah, and my complaint to CRTC on behalf of Frontier, not there problem. To make a long story short, I was without service for five long weeks. Good thing I kept my dial up account as a back up.

Since this episode began I have learned that Frontier Communications is a very, very small company. A small company with very limited resources. The business appears to be run my one person, the owner, who uses part time guys to help him out. I think that is why it took five weeks to get me up and running again. They say it took five weeks because of weather to climb the tower and move their antennae. I doubt it. Also the website goes into detail about their Technical Support, there is no technical support. I have never ever once phoned in and got anyone, I either have to leave a message, or the owners wife answers the phone and says someone will get back to me. They never do, they don’t answer email requests for technical support.

As for the speed of their service, it’s all over the place at any given time, but overall it’s not bad, and I like it better than dial up. A DSL speed report just prior to sending this was 167down/46up, just after writing this the first test was 255 down/25 up and the second test was 62 down/49up and the third was 589down/58up. As you can see I kept going until I got a good reading to be fair. I have also noticed that during heavy rain events the service really slows down or doesn’t work, I am a little worried about snow events this winter as well.

My big mistake, other that signing up with Frontier, is that I paid for one year in advance so I would not have to deal with the monthly bill. My mistake, I asked for a refund for the five weeks of no service, to which the answer was no. I asked for a refund of my prepaid service and that I would like to pay monthly, the answer was no.

In the end, I guess I have complained to much to them, they don’t return phone calls or emails so I am on my own now. To them, I guess five weeks of no service is not a big deal and that I complain too much.