Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by rjspence See Profile

• Location: Gillespie,Macoupin,IL
Good "Uptime has been acceptable-B"
Bad "Price, Speed, Business Class -F"
Overall "Go somewhere else if all possible, especially for Business Class Service."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------

Citizens Telecommunication Company of Illinois - FrontierNet.net - New York

This review is written in regards to Frontiernet.net ISP services in general but more geared towards customer relations management as well as their Business Class Service and advertisement.

Backgound:

I've been utilizing broadband business class services for the last 7 years. This is the first time utilizing FrontierNet in any form. I've had many ISP's over the years. Broadband service since it's introduction.

I'll do my best to keep this write up on professional terms, although I'm angered as I write when I recall the conversation I just had with FrontierNet New York Office.

Firstly, If you want business class service, do not move to a rural area with FrontierNet being the only provider. I have been with the following companies that have provided my business the needed service: The below frontiernet service was being looked into.

»www.mybrightbiz.com/ - My rating: Great Business Class Service - "A+"

>> This is seriously the best service I've ever received from a business class account.

Superb speed, uptime, and not much need for technical support. I asked for a new underground drop to be be installed in RG6 format, it was done the next day no questions asked. This is truly a superb organization. Left service due to relocation.

»www.charter-business.com/- My rating: Good Business Class Service - /27 account - B+

>> Charter Communications Business Networks (CBN) is a knowledgable networking group that provides a good service at a very reasonable rate. Support staff is knowledgable and service uptime more than sufficient for business needs. Left service due to relocation.

»home.frontiernet.net/ - My Rating: Unrealistic expectations on a contractual basis /pathetic support responses and the topic of this review - "F"

>> This service has not been obtainable due to outrageous contractual agreements.

The personal FrontierNet home DSL account is being used to type this. Details

below.

FrontierNet Business Class is monoplizing rural areas and providing substandard service arrangements to businesses when compared to other ISP Business Class services.

I started off just asking the FrontierNet home DSL if they would provide a static IP (at cost of course, couldn't imagine them throwing in an IP for the current $60.00 fee) so that remote server administration/security would be more easily handled. They mentioned that I had to have their Business Class Account to do so in which many ISP's do. At a rate of $60.00 per month for an average 100k up and 800k down, I could hardly wait to see what would be offered at a business class rate.

The home DSL service is poor for the money. Speeds are less than superb. Seldom will you achieve download speeds of 1MB. Uploads are not worth speaking of. This for $60.00 per month.

After speaking with 3 business account representitives in regards to a business acount that would povide static IP, I was given a contract with rates and policies.

FrontierNet Business Class refuses to play the game on fair turf. They want a ridiculous amount of money for less than a home service would provide. In other words, they do not offer anything month to month at an affordable rate when compared to other Business Class Services that I have had for years. They have also achieved to offer a term of 3 years on contract for a still yet ridiculous price for yet an even more ridiculous bandwidth speed. In a multi-million dollar data center in St. Louis, I had a 1 year contract that was signed for business use, but FrontierNet believes they deserve a 3 year contract for reduced rate on their pathetically low speed service. They deserve better than even a multi-million dollar data center in terms of their contracts.

So, If you are in need of a "single" usable static IP block, you will asked to pay dearly for this. A month to month service for 512K up and 1MB down is: $195.00. That is correct. And if you are in need of a static IP, that is what you are going to pay. Take a good look at what other ISP's are needing for their services. FrontierNet Business Class needs twice or three times the money, or a 3 year contract to even speak with another business.

I cannot for the life of me recommend Frontier phone, Frontiernet DSL, Business Class Networking to anyone. Stay away from it until they get the message that they need play in the same game as every other ISP offering comparable services. The same company or "Frontier" as in Citizens Telecommunication Company of Illinois is also doing the same price gouging with their local telephone services in comparison to all the previous phone companies I've been with. They do not provide unlimited long distance packages of any kind, allow 300 or 600 minute packages at a designated rate, and crucify you with above average long distance rate charges for any minute over their packaged allotment. When asking why they have no "unlimited long distance" service, they have no answer. Well I know the answer. Just like their business class DSL racket. So I dropped my long distance with them completely today. I'll go back to AT&T pre-paid calling cards. Frontier's line charge for residential service alone is not in alignment with other phone companies single residential line charges.

FrontierNet reduces service to minimal on home DSL accounts by decapitating their speedstream modems, port blocking standard supported service ports, and removing or limiting news server access. Other service providers do not even at a home level class service. Business Class is pushed when needing anything other than a browsing connection. Just ask for a static IP. When contacting Business Class the supervisors claim they can not do anything about the "set pricing structure" and bandwidth allotments and cannot provide a static IP under any other terms. They make no argument that their service is not on scale with other ISP providers when confronted with these issues and refuse my business a static IP under any other terms. I'm quite used to a business class network that provides 5MB downstream. Would you like to know what it takes to get 2MB service downstream in a business class package? Try $295.00 month to month for this 512/2MB service. Now compare this to a Time Warner, or Charter Communications Business Class, and many others. Frontiernet believes they get by with their decapitated services by advertising on their website that they protect their users from troubling internet spam, etc... Thank you FrontierNet. Thank you for at least advertising how evil spam is and what precautions you take to protect the network. Couldn't possibly advertise rates and terms or provide SSL pop3 port 995 security for your own mail server. Or maybe allow one to purchase a single usable IP (3/4 block) for furthing their business needs.

FrontierNet Advertisement: $60.00 Business Class Account

=========================================

Recently FrontierNet.net was advertising business class service promotion starting at $60.00 per month. When contacting them (which is a must because they don't post the terms on their site) about the promotion they claimed this package was for 128k up/256k down and if I'm not mistaken, it required a year contract. When asking why I would want a business service provided me that resulted in even less available resources than I currently have with a home DSL account, they reply with no answer sufficient enough to even explain what it is they are trying to sell. I'm not sure who is more baffled at the end of a two way conversation between myself and FrontierNet. The end result however is always NIL, /dev/null, /sbin/nologin.

FrontierNet does not advertise their Business Packages and Rates as most business network ISP's do, Take a look:

»www.mybrightbiz.com/Services/vir···fice.cfm

Clean, easy to read, good rates, no contracts, up front and honest, even going to length to name their individual plans and provide a reasonable business service. I've experienced the same courtesy with other ISP's.

FrontierNet refuses to do such upfront advertisment and provide rates and terms of service requirements online. This pretty much says it all. I wouldn't advertise their rates and services either if I were them. I would hide in the dark shadows as they do. They need to get their act together and start providing businesses with what they need at a comparable ISP pricing structure. The supervisor Account Support Administration Offices of FrontierNet.net need quit with their "Tarrif" legislative jargon when your offices are being approached with issues as stated..

"Please assist me with my needs and consider my complaints."

"I'm sorry, there is nothing I can do to be of service to you or alter our price structure. Our tarrif sets the rates on our accounts."

"Would it be possible to speak with someone responsible for your policies, procedures, terms of service, and someone interested in our companies account requirements?"

Nothing. no support, no service, no satisfaction. Furthermore, I've personally sent in a revised request for business service and was again outright denied by Frontiernet supervisors maintaining their stance that nothing can be done. A "tarrif" ghost set their rates and not a single person at FrontierNet knows anything about it, or are responisble for the rates, nor can they do anything about it.

While the majority of ISP's are providing increasingly better service, better uptime, and far faster connections up to and beyond a 5MB downstream connection, FrontierNet is offering a 1MB service that seldom reaches this (700-800K), charges double what any previous home account service I've had charged ($29.95 - $39.95), and refuses my business a single usable static IP block unless I either pay an unreasonable monthly fee, or surrender to their less than pathetic 1-2 or get this... 3 year, business contract offering substandard service and pricing.

FrontierNet in my case is: Citizens Telecommunication Company of Illinois - New York

My recommendation, don't purchase their stock let alone their service. Repulsive business ethics in my opinion. Attitude of "We're the only ones out there, take it or leave it." Flat out "F" They will make it with their phone gouging due to the absolute necessity of the service in rural areas. I seriously doubt they will make it long term with the ISP services unless they change their monopolistic practices and produce real time results when businesses call in for service.

They can keep their IP business service until they change their policies. If I can find another home use service of anykind, I'll quickly drop their home dsl account as well. --rjspence

===========================

Update: Here is Frontier (Citizens) Better Business Bureau pages (BBB). It appears that not only does Frontiernet (Citizens) not belong to the BBB, they have a pretty active complaint list.

»search.buffalo.bbb.org/nis/newse···18000191

===========================

Comments:

Review by Rogzoo See Profile

• Location: Bluefield,Mercer,WV
Good "Better than dial-up (sometimes)"
Bad "Upload of only 70k , Rude Customer Service"
Overall "Speed issues and poor ping."

FrontierNet DSL
1024/128 Dynamic IP

Frontier in the Bluefield WV area has not updated their speed in years. Download is a 1024 and upload 128. This is very bad when in the same area you can get Comcast 4000/512 for the same price.

They use the same old sales pitch about DSL being better than cable because....

The customer service agents tell you when you call that the area will not support higher bandwidth which by the way the will not quote a speed for an area.

Worse than poor service is however is that I have recently discovered local Frontier administrators neighborhoods have been upgraded for 5000/768 DSL.

So in Bluefield WV go CABLE or hope you live in a neighborhood with a Frontier management employee as a neighbor.

EDIT: Our Techs at Bluefield at least fixed my Upload speed. I was getting 55-65 and now I'm up to 90-105 which helps very much!

member for 12.3 years, 205 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by Dusty19

• Location: Needles,San Bernardino,CA
Good "Reliable Connection"
Bad "Horrible Customer Service"

Frontiernet DSL down to the point just sucks. They charge $49.95 a month
for 1MB/128k. I will give them, if your in the right area of town, your
speeds will avrg 1800/265. But still, $49.95 a month. They're customer
service is horrible. If you are calling with a technical question, that
god forbid isn't in their scripts, forget about it. And they are just
rude. I called a rep on something he said to me once because I knew it
to be a falsification, and he got an attitude with me when I told him he
was wrong .... All I wanted to do was change my screen name, he said I
couldn't .... Funny, because the number I pressed in the main manu said,
"To change your screen name, press 4." Other then that, in the 3 years
I've had DSL, it's only gone down about 4 - 6 times that I'm aware of, &
normally at night only, and the longest time it was down was about 12
hours. So as far as reliability, they're good. Except in the businesses,
They've been having serious issues with bandwidth on the DSL1 server
that services the local businesses here.

Frontier A Citizens Communications Company
Needles, CA 92363
ISP: Frontiernet

(review was emailed from domain frontiernet.net)

Comments:

Review by Mellyone See Profile

• Location: Canby,Yellow Medicine,MN
Good "Works for xbox live pretty well, im satisfied"
Bad "Speed 800down 105 up <--Average 820up 110 down <----Max"
Overall "Average.. ISP.. price should be cheaper for those speeds though"

Satisfied.. but its not worth the 50$ a month, when ur not even getting 1mb downloads..

Comments:

Review by The Duck See Profile

• Location: Sacramento,Sacramento,CA
Good "Stable high speeds"
Bad "Tech support can be spotty"
Overall "Best deal for the money in my area, but slipping fast"

Initial setup was very smooth. I was able to get nearly exact loop length before my new house was even built. Sales staff was able to communicate with local support staff to get an unofficial, but accurate prequalification. My only disappointment with the install process was that I had to have POTS installed and working for 14 days before they could get the order officially placed and processed.

Frontier provided a brand new Speedstream 5200, leased to me for free for the duration of my DSL service, along with a few filters. I called tech support to inquire what brand/model DSL splitters they provide with their "professional" installation. The rep could not identify any devices and told me, incorrectly, that splitters were proprietary and not available to the general public.

I installed a splitter, and on the date promised in my self install kit I had service. The modem worked fine for a few days, and then suddenly stopped transmitting data. Tech support came through this time and had me up and going in about 5 minutes. I have not experienced any problems with service since then, about 5 months now.

Coming up on a year of service. I have experienced one DSL outage related to equipment failure at the CO. Outage lasted about 24 hours. Tech support promised a call back to me when the issue was resolved, though that never happened. Have had a couple of times when the modem lost sync. Otherwise I have not experienced any major issues.

I have a DHCP assigned address, it changes regularly even though my modem is never turned off. Over all I am still fairly satisfied with their service.

DNS servers have been sucking pond water for the last few weeks now. Tech support says they can ping the server, therefore it is up. _WOW_ I have also been experiencing frequent periods of no IP connectivity. Disconnect the modem and log back on, boom. New IP and suddenly things start moving.

I am just holding out for surewest.net now...

Still seeing loss of connectivity related to new IP assignments. There have been several outages in Elk Grove over the last few weeks. Tech support admitted that Elk Grove has been having "a lot of trouble in the past few weeks."

member for 12.7 years, 687 visits, last login: 1.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by matt266 See Profile

• Location: Bluefield,Mercer,WV
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Had trouble From the start. Connection was so bad couldnt do anything."
Overall "Will never use this company again. Get Comcast Way Better"

I was given the run around on the phone. Promised was supposed to be fixed. never was. Have to deal with undertrained technican. Was nice guy.But couldnt fix it.Thats what he said. He no idea what was wrong. I tried to help was treated lik
Had a comple lack of internet and pcs. Other than web browser coming up. thats there limits.

The customer shuldnt be penalized 40 a month is lot money to just hand out for dial up. And your on dsl
They techs and people here are nice people. Just need to progresss and learn more as the internet grows.

Their is such a lack of whats needed.

In the end i was charged for a service i never got. it was worse than dial up.

Customer service is horrible. and Tried lying to get me just hang up forget it.

In the end customer reprensitive Agreed that i was lied to.

But not refund money because of innaccurate reports of field tech. Instead putting i had problem he covered himself. And cost me service and money.

Im a honest person. But was treated dishonestly by this company.

I

Comments:

Review by KBeavers See Profile

• Location: Petersburg,Grant,WV
Good "Only highspeed ISP in the area"
Bad "Ridiculously slow speeds"
Overall "I wish I had another ISP in this area"

For the money I'm paying, ping rates slower than dialup are unacceptable. Service was also dropping every week until recently, a problem I suppose was fixed. The program I use the most averages 200 ping with dialup. My DSL bounces from 80 (not too bad) to 900 at all times. Awful. Show me another ISP and I'm gone. Utterly attrocious, and from the reviews I've read about my area calling tech isn't gonna help since all the local customers are on one line.

Comments:

Review by technogal8 See Profile

• Location: Rochester,Monroe,NY
Good "can't think of any."
Bad "DSL too slow, they eliminated newsgroups"
Overall "I don't recommend Frontier."

I live 1.49 miles from the CO. I have very slow speed most of the time. I have no idea why I pay for the DSL Max, and I have terrible service. I am definitely getting ripped off, I believe. I also live very, very close to Rochester,NY so there should be no reason for the slowness.
Now, they are getting rid of newsgroups...hmmmm.
============================================
2004-03-09 17:12:27 EST: 351 / 327
2004-03-11 10:03:43 EST: 340 / 321
2004-03-11 16:25:33 EST: 337 / 320
========

Comments:

Review by Kaelan1 See Profile

• Location: Wilton,Sacramento,CA
Good "Easy installation"
Bad "Bad service, unwilling repair department, uninformed tech support, bad repair appointment scheduling, low line quality"
Overall "Avoid frontiernet like the plague"

We have had FrontierNet DSL for over a year. The cheapest plan they had available cost about $50/mo, so that's what we have.

Ordering and getting DSL installed was relatively easy, their repair people came out and helped us set everything up.

Originally we were given an internal DSL modem that we popped in a PCI slot. The card worked well, but eventually they phased those out and switched us to an external D-Link Router. That worked well too, but they phased that out and switched us to a SpeedStream 5200. It works fine too.

FrontierNet charges for static IPs, so I have a dynamic IP.

Overall, frontiernet's service is horrible. The tech support department is not very well informed, and every time we called I had to wait at least 10 if not 30 minutes on hold just to speak with a representative, and then spent 15 minutes giving them all my account information and going through their routine technical checks. ('clear your cache', 'reset the modem', etc.) Their repair, customer service, and tech support departments for some reason don't have a way to check each others' records and information, so pretty much any time I spoke with them they had to put me on hold while they called repair or customer service. Often, I would spend 15 minutes explaining my problem to a suprisingly competent tech support person, and then I would call back the next day and find out that almost none of what I told him made it into the records, and I'd have to explain it all again.

FrontierNet's email and internet service is acceptable. You get a few POP3 inboxes, and a simple webmail client. No Spam filtering; they used to have SpamAssassin installed and configured, which worked great, but for some reason they turned it off. No IMAP, unfortunately. Internet access is generally okay, except for a few oddities - they have ICMP and apparently outgoing SMTP blocked, which makes it impossible to ping or traceroute and means you have to use their mailservers for all outgoing mail. Apparently this is for 'virus reasons'.

For the last 6 months our connection has intermittently dropped out, and incoming packets are randomly corrupted to the point where images in web browsers will appear corrupted and internet games and radio streams are regularly disconnected, garbled, or crashed. Instead of being helpful, frontiernet was adamant that any problems were most definitely our fault, which resulted in us having our modem replaced three times. After I finally convinced them that the problem was not on our end, we spent weeks getting bounced around from department to department and being told that 'it'll be fixed real soon.' It's not fixed, and today I finally got a solid answer - they don't care.

FrontierNet is awful. I would switch providers, but no DSL provider will offer service out here, and according to SpeakEasy, FrontierNet doesn't offer any other providers access to their lines.

UPDATE: A while back, Frontiernet made us switch from the modems we had been given or had purchased (I paid $150 to buy a modem from them that had 4 ethernet ports) to the SpeedStream 5200's they were giving out. Well, last week my 5200 shorted out and would no longer work. (It failed its self-test at power-on.) Plugging in my old modem (A D-Link DSL504) gave me back my internet access, but Frontier doesn't support them anymore. Well, I got my replacement SpeedStream a few days ago. Guess what? It shorted out 15 minutes ago. I'm still on hold, and I already know what they're going to tell me once I finally get to talk to a tech.

UPDATE #2: FrontierNet has now not only blocked outgoing connections on port 25 (SMTP), but their mail servers now refuse to send any mail unless the from address is from one of their servers. I am now basically unable to send mail from anywhere but my citlink.net address, and thanks to citlink's wonderful (read: next to useless) 'spam filtering', that means I'll be getting even more spam at my citlink address than I already do, even though I paid for mail hosting with another company for this exact reason.

Comments:

Review by gahruev See Profile

• Location: Elk Grove,Sacramento,CA
Good "is available in my area, was pretty decent when was citlink.net (but still had outages)"
Bad "tech support low knowledge level. (some are good) slower up and down negotiated speeds than advertised. outages are too frequent"
Overall "cost is too high for service provided. Min Negotiated speeds are not met on a regular basis."

Initial set up was long and somewhat irritating as was told I must use a 3com 812 router (and purchase from them for $200) for their service. I already had my own routers, and 3com got out of the router biz. Did not like requirements, length of time to get my pair up. I did the setup myself and that went all right. Technical support is avail 24-7, so that is a good thing... but I do not find their technical support (in general) to be knowledgable in a variety of ways. Service is slower than what was advertised as the minimum negotiated bandwidth (up and down).

I do think down time is greater than the average ISP and the speed slower - but at least they are available 24-7 and in a rural area.