Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by halogrumman See Profile

• Location: Rhinebeck,Dutchess,NY
Good "UMMM none"
Bad "Everthing"
Overall "Horrible, would drop it for anything else, unfortonately its all i got"

Frontier dsl was good the first 2 days that i've had it after that it has slowed down dramaticly and is very ustable. Unfortonatly for me i run an online business and need dsl. Frontier is the only dsl company around me, also i can't get cable. Man does Frontier Suck!

Comments:

Review by logcabinboy See Profile

• Location: Whitmore,Shasta,CA
Good "The only landline broadband available"
Bad "Very bad latency every evening"
Overall "No other choice, but I am happier than with dialup."

I was contacted by a service tech telling me that DSL was available to me, and if interested I could call their customer service line. I did that about a week later on a Monday and was told a tech would be available to install the following Monday. That day the package was waiting when I got home from work.

Recieved a speedstream modem/Router combo (not quite sure how I feel about it yet). The connection works really well most of the time, but occasionally it just stops, much like my dialup account also did. I can live with that though. I was never told what my downstream/upstream would be but I'm assuming it is 1500/256 and get a good 1250/220 on speed tests.

Overall, I'm fairly satisfied to have it and feel sort of lucky since I do live in a tiny town up in the mountains.

Comments:

Review by faheyd See Profile

• Location: Alturas,Modoc,CA
Good "Finally upgraded my line to 2mb down, 320kb up"
Bad "Absolutly worst customer service, tech suppport"
Overall "AVOID AT ALL COSTS"

Although after 2 years, they finally upgraded my dsl connection to what it was SUPPOSED to be, I've been fighting with tech support to fix latency problems.

2 74-38-0-1.dsl1.pco.ca.frontiernet.net (74.38.0.1) 25 ms 53 ms 36 ms

r01.plal.ca.frontiernet.net.ca.front (74.40.3.150) 214 ms 207 ms

6 * * *

7 209.85.130.6 (209.85.130.6) 127 ms 66 ms 63 ms

8 209.85.251.34 (209.85.251.34) 82 ms 38 ms 34 ms

9 209.85.251.98 (209.85.251.98) 48 ms 209.85.251.94 (209.85.251.94) 40 ms 209.85.251.98 (209.85.251.98) 47 ms

10 74.125.19.147 (74.125.19.147) 33 ms 70 ms 53 ms

74.125.19.103 (74.125.19.103) 34 ms 33 ms 52 ms

Notice the bad latency in hops 3,4,5, which are all frontiernet.net's equipment (first hop is the remote office that I can see from my house). These morons at their NOC just can't figure out why I can't keep a VIOP or gaming session up. What you are seeing is just the tip of the iceberg. Those routers fluctuate wildly, from normal 30-40ms to over 300ms. I regularly get kicked off servers daily. When the frontiernet network is working, it's nice, but most of the time, it's garbage and no one in their NOC will fix it. I've got emails from over 7 months complaining about it. The line repair guys (really nice) say we are screwed because frontiernet doesn't get a rats azz about its customers. I'm a retired USAF Telecommunications Systems Tech and have installed more fiber, routers, and switches than I care to remember, and these MORONS at frontiernet have pissed me off to no end. How many times do I need to reset a modem (which shows NO ERRORS at all) to prove it's their fault. Jesus, look at the traceroute, it's plain and simple that if every time the network is acting up and it's those routers in Redding CA that are screwed up, well, come on, get a clue. I'm pretty sure that they are using an ATM backbone and they just can't figure it out, along with routing protocols. I am just so disgusted with the company.

Comments:

Review by mudshark See Profile

• Location: Glen Spey,Sullivan,NY
Good "None"
Bad "They lose emails and do not ack this"
Overall "will not support their own systems"

Have been trying for weeks now to get them to fix a problem where they lose emails that are sent to me. On the phone they say they're on it but they never call back and never fix it.

Comments:

Review by ramsfan7 See Profile

• Location: Golden Eagle,Calhoun,IL
Good "Got to ditch my DirecWay Dish in rural area"
Bad "$600!!!! early termination fees"
Overall "Avoid Frontier promotions at all costs"

No I didn't get the free Dell PC and now they want their money; that would have only been $400 anyway and at least I would have had a sub-par PC to show for it.

I was in month 10 of a one year term when we moved out of state. Can't do much there, they were even prompt enough to disconnect my phone and internet a day early.

Did they warn me when I signed up for these services? What do you think? I'm sure they said something nebulous like "early termination fees may apply".

Bottomline, avoid their promotions!

member for 12.2 years, 339 visits, last login: 7.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by bbarrera See Profile

• Location: Elk Grove,Sacramento,CA
Good "rock solid"
Bad "speeds slower than Surewest, Comcast & PacBell"
Overall "OK for business class service, not competitive on speeds"

I'm basically happy with FrontierNet's business-class quality of service and technical support, however the connection speed is not competitive. They are overdue to introduce ADSL 2 in this area, which should raise downloads to 10Mbps. A bit of apples and oranges -- Surewest is selling consumer 20M/20Mbps service for $50/month (1st year special) while Frontier is selling 2000/256kbps *BIZ CLASS* at $70/month on a 3 year contract. I've got a dual-wan router and use Frontier for business and Surewest for after-hours.

Comments:

Review by curtisk2 See Profile

• Location: Frankford,ON
Good "Better than Dial Up"
Bad "Five Weeks No Service, Horrible Customer Service"
Overall "When signing any contract think twice and do your homework."

I live in Rural Ontario where neither cable nor DSL are available to me. A friend told me about a new wireless radio high speed internet service available in the area. How it works is they place a radio modem on your roof, and point it at their radio modem mounted on a telecommunications tower. This technology has been around for a long time in the industrial sector for data acquisition and control systems. This high speed internet for the lay person is essentially the same so I thought I would give it a try. It works pretty well, when it works. This is where I would like to caution anyone considering using Frontier Communications from Belleville Ontario.

One day my internet service suddenly became slow, slower than dial up, could only receive email, not send, and most web pages that had a click to see the next page button just wouldn’t work. I gave them a few days over the weekend to get things fixed but no luck. I called on a Monday morning to find out what the problem was. I was told the local college radio station was causing interference with there signal and to complain to the college. Made sense, so that’s what I did. I got an email back from the owner of the communications tower stating that I was misinformed by Frontier Communications and that all clients using the tower sign a contract with them to ensure there is no interference from any other client using the tower. But this was not the case with Frontier Communications, he stated Frontier Communications would not / did not sign a contract, and are at risk of having there signal interfered with by his clients and that the local college had followed all requirements and was not to blame. I confronted Frontier Communications about this but they said is this wasn’t true and did not explain or offer any further information. Guess I caught them in a little white lie. Oh yeah, and my complaint to CRTC on behalf of Frontier, not there problem. To make a long story short, I was without service for five long weeks. Good thing I kept my dial up account as a back up.

Since this episode began I have learned that Frontier Communications is a very, very small company. A small company with very limited resources. The business appears to be run my one person, the owner, who uses part time guys to help him out. I think that is why it took five weeks to get me up and running again. They say it took five weeks because of weather to climb the tower and move their antennae. I doubt it. Also the website goes into detail about their Technical Support, there is no technical support. I have never ever once phoned in and got anyone, I either have to leave a message, or the owners wife answers the phone and says someone will get back to me. They never do, they don’t answer email requests for technical support.

As for the speed of their service, it’s all over the place at any given time, but overall it’s not bad, and I like it better than dial up. A DSL speed report just prior to sending this was 167down/46up, just after writing this the first test was 255 down/25 up and the second test was 62 down/49up and the third was 589down/58up. As you can see I kept going until I got a good reading to be fair. I have also noticed that during heavy rain events the service really slows down or doesn’t work, I am a little worried about snow events this winter as well.

My big mistake, other that signing up with Frontier, is that I paid for one year in advance so I would not have to deal with the monthly bill. My mistake, I asked for a refund for the five weeks of no service, to which the answer was no. I asked for a refund of my prepaid service and that I would like to pay monthly, the answer was no.

In the end, I guess I have complained to much to them, they don’t return phone calls or emails so I am on my own now. To them, I guess five weeks of no service is not a big deal and that I complain too much.

Comments:

Review by carl13 See Profile

• Location: Idamay,Marion,WV
Good "Best broadband for my location."
Bad "Constant disconnects and bad support."
Overall "I'm unsatisfied."

I was happy with the service until last October,2004, when at that time the service became unstable. It took until May 6, 2005 for them to resolve the trouble. It worked great until August 1,2005 when the service started doing the same thing it did before and here it is 2 weeks later and they haven't fixed the problem. Frontier keeps trying to blame me instead of the service.I'm unsatisfied.THEY SUCK!!!

Comments:

Review by rjspence See Profile

• Location: Gillespie,Macoupin,IL
Good "Uptime has been acceptable-B"
Bad "Price, Speed, Business Class -F"
Overall "Go somewhere else if all possible, especially for Business Class Service."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------

Citizens Telecommunication Company of Illinois - FrontierNet.net - New York

This review is written in regards to Frontiernet.net ISP services in general but more geared towards customer relations management as well as their Business Class Service and advertisement.

Backgound:

I've been utilizing broadband business class services for the last 7 years. This is the first time utilizing FrontierNet in any form. I've had many ISP's over the years. Broadband service since it's introduction.

I'll do my best to keep this write up on professional terms, although I'm angered as I write when I recall the conversation I just had with FrontierNet New York Office.

Firstly, If you want business class service, do not move to a rural area with FrontierNet being the only provider. I have been with the following companies that have provided my business the needed service: The below frontiernet service was being looked into.

»www.mybrightbiz.com/ - My rating: Great Business Class Service - "A+"

>> This is seriously the best service I've ever received from a business class account.

Superb speed, uptime, and not much need for technical support. I asked for a new underground drop to be be installed in RG6 format, it was done the next day no questions asked. This is truly a superb organization. Left service due to relocation.

»www.charter-business.com/- My rating: Good Business Class Service - /27 account - B+

>> Charter Communications Business Networks (CBN) is a knowledgable networking group that provides a good service at a very reasonable rate. Support staff is knowledgable and service uptime more than sufficient for business needs. Left service due to relocation.

»home.frontiernet.net/ - My Rating: Unrealistic expectations on a contractual basis /pathetic support responses and the topic of this review - "F"

>> This service has not been obtainable due to outrageous contractual agreements.

The personal FrontierNet home DSL account is being used to type this. Details

below.

FrontierNet Business Class is monoplizing rural areas and providing substandard service arrangements to businesses when compared to other ISP Business Class services.

I started off just asking the FrontierNet home DSL if they would provide a static IP (at cost of course, couldn't imagine them throwing in an IP for the current $60.00 fee) so that remote server administration/security would be more easily handled. They mentioned that I had to have their Business Class Account to do so in which many ISP's do. At a rate of $60.00 per month for an average 100k up and 800k down, I could hardly wait to see what would be offered at a business class rate.

The home DSL service is poor for the money. Speeds are less than superb. Seldom will you achieve download speeds of 1MB. Uploads are not worth speaking of. This for $60.00 per month.

After speaking with 3 business account representitives in regards to a business acount that would povide static IP, I was given a contract with rates and policies.

FrontierNet Business Class refuses to play the game on fair turf. They want a ridiculous amount of money for less than a home service would provide. In other words, they do not offer anything month to month at an affordable rate when compared to other Business Class Services that I have had for years. They have also achieved to offer a term of 3 years on contract for a still yet ridiculous price for yet an even more ridiculous bandwidth speed. In a multi-million dollar data center in St. Louis, I had a 1 year contract that was signed for business use, but FrontierNet believes they deserve a 3 year contract for reduced rate on their pathetically low speed service. They deserve better than even a multi-million dollar data center in terms of their contracts.

So, If you are in need of a "single" usable static IP block, you will asked to pay dearly for this. A month to month service for 512K up and 1MB down is: $195.00. That is correct. And if you are in need of a static IP, that is what you are going to pay. Take a good look at what other ISP's are needing for their services. FrontierNet Business Class needs twice or three times the money, or a 3 year contract to even speak with another business.

I cannot for the life of me recommend Frontier phone, Frontiernet DSL, Business Class Networking to anyone. Stay away from it until they get the message that they need play in the same game as every other ISP offering comparable services. The same company or "Frontier" as in Citizens Telecommunication Company of Illinois is also doing the same price gouging with their local telephone services in comparison to all the previous phone companies I've been with. They do not provide unlimited long distance packages of any kind, allow 300 or 600 minute packages at a designated rate, and crucify you with above average long distance rate charges for any minute over their packaged allotment. When asking why they have no "unlimited long distance" service, they have no answer. Well I know the answer. Just like their business class DSL racket. So I dropped my long distance with them completely today. I'll go back to AT&T pre-paid calling cards. Frontier's line charge for residential service alone is not in alignment with other phone companies single residential line charges.

FrontierNet reduces service to minimal on home DSL accounts by decapitating their speedstream modems, port blocking standard supported service ports, and removing or limiting news server access. Other service providers do not even at a home level class service. Business Class is pushed when needing anything other than a browsing connection. Just ask for a static IP. When contacting Business Class the supervisors claim they can not do anything about the "set pricing structure" and bandwidth allotments and cannot provide a static IP under any other terms. They make no argument that their service is not on scale with other ISP providers when confronted with these issues and refuse my business a static IP under any other terms. I'm quite used to a business class network that provides 5MB downstream. Would you like to know what it takes to get 2MB service downstream in a business class package? Try $295.00 month to month for this 512/2MB service. Now compare this to a Time Warner, or Charter Communications Business Class, and many others. Frontiernet believes they get by with their decapitated services by advertising on their website that they protect their users from troubling internet spam, etc... Thank you FrontierNet. Thank you for at least advertising how evil spam is and what precautions you take to protect the network. Couldn't possibly advertise rates and terms or provide SSL pop3 port 995 security for your own mail server. Or maybe allow one to purchase a single usable IP (3/4 block) for furthing their business needs.

FrontierNet Advertisement: $60.00 Business Class Account

=========================================

Recently FrontierNet.net was advertising business class service promotion starting at $60.00 per month. When contacting them (which is a must because they don't post the terms on their site) about the promotion they claimed this package was for 128k up/256k down and if I'm not mistaken, it required a year contract. When asking why I would want a business service provided me that resulted in even less available resources than I currently have with a home DSL account, they reply with no answer sufficient enough to even explain what it is they are trying to sell. I'm not sure who is more baffled at the end of a two way conversation between myself and FrontierNet. The end result however is always NIL, /dev/null, /sbin/nologin.

FrontierNet does not advertise their Business Packages and Rates as most business network ISP's do, Take a look:

»www.mybrightbiz.com/Services/vir···fice.cfm

Clean, easy to read, good rates, no contracts, up front and honest, even going to length to name their individual plans and provide a reasonable business service. I've experienced the same courtesy with other ISP's.

FrontierNet refuses to do such upfront advertisment and provide rates and terms of service requirements online. This pretty much says it all. I wouldn't advertise their rates and services either if I were them. I would hide in the dark shadows as they do. They need to get their act together and start providing businesses with what they need at a comparable ISP pricing structure. The supervisor Account Support Administration Offices of FrontierNet.net need quit with their "Tarrif" legislative jargon when your offices are being approached with issues as stated..

"Please assist me with my needs and consider my complaints."

"I'm sorry, there is nothing I can do to be of service to you or alter our price structure. Our tarrif sets the rates on our accounts."

"Would it be possible to speak with someone responsible for your policies, procedures, terms of service, and someone interested in our companies account requirements?"

Nothing. no support, no service, no satisfaction. Furthermore, I've personally sent in a revised request for business service and was again outright denied by Frontiernet supervisors maintaining their stance that nothing can be done. A "tarrif" ghost set their rates and not a single person at FrontierNet knows anything about it, or are responisble for the rates, nor can they do anything about it.

While the majority of ISP's are providing increasingly better service, better uptime, and far faster connections up to and beyond a 5MB downstream connection, FrontierNet is offering a 1MB service that seldom reaches this (700-800K), charges double what any previous home account service I've had charged ($29.95 - $39.95), and refuses my business a single usable static IP block unless I either pay an unreasonable monthly fee, or surrender to their less than pathetic 1-2 or get this... 3 year, business contract offering substandard service and pricing.

FrontierNet in my case is: Citizens Telecommunication Company of Illinois - New York

My recommendation, don't purchase their stock let alone their service. Repulsive business ethics in my opinion. Attitude of "We're the only ones out there, take it or leave it." Flat out "F" They will make it with their phone gouging due to the absolute necessity of the service in rural areas. I seriously doubt they will make it long term with the ISP services unless they change their monopolistic practices and produce real time results when businesses call in for service.

They can keep their IP business service until they change their policies. If I can find another home use service of anykind, I'll quickly drop their home dsl account as well. --rjspence

===========================

Update: Here is Frontier (Citizens) Better Business Bureau pages (BBB). It appears that not only does Frontiernet (Citizens) not belong to the BBB, they have a pretty active complaint list.

»search.buffalo.bbb.org/nis/newse···18000191

===========================

Comments:

Review by Rogzoo See Profile

• Location: Bluefield,Mercer,WV
Good "Better than dial-up (sometimes)"
Bad "Upload of only 70k , Rude Customer Service"
Overall "Speed issues and poor ping."

FrontierNet DSL
1024/128 Dynamic IP

Frontier in the Bluefield WV area has not updated their speed in years. Download is a 1024 and upload 128. This is very bad when in the same area you can get Comcast 4000/512 for the same price.

They use the same old sales pitch about DSL being better than cable because....

The customer service agents tell you when you call that the area will not support higher bandwidth which by the way the will not quote a speed for an area.

Worse than poor service is however is that I have recently discovered local Frontier administrators neighborhoods have been upgraded for 5000/768 DSL.

So in Bluefield WV go CABLE or hope you live in a neighborhood with a Frontier management employee as a neighbor.

EDIT: Our Techs at Bluefield at least fixed my Upload speed. I was getting 55-65 and now I'm up to 90-105 which helps very much!

member for 12.7 years, 205 visits, last login: 1.5 years ago