Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by andy See Profile

• Location: West Edmeston,Madison,NY
Good "Tech people are friendly"
Bad "The internet service"
Overall "Don't buy unless you have to"

We live in a rural area and, yeah, I know, MOVE TO A CITY. We have to have frontier. And we pay top dollar. FOR .9 mbps down on weekends and 3 on weekdays. We don't like them

Comments:

Review by mike8675309 See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Dakota,MN
Good "Tends to be reliable if not low performance for the cost."
Bad "Expensive for the speeds available. When there are problems, not very helpful"
Overall "Cable internet likely a better value if you can get it."

·Charter
I have Frontier's High Speed Inet 6M/384K service and for 99% of the time I don't even fret about it. Sure, I'm not thrilled about the terrible upload speed, nor the changeable download speeds. But overall, I tended to prefer Frontier since my experience with customer service has usually been very good, and my cable experience really bad.

Outages are rare, but I recently had an outage that causes me to now look at alternatives to Frontier. The service went down, out of the blue at 4:30pm. Over the next 4 hours I spoke to 3 different people at Frontier. The first basically said yes, it looks like an issue. Don't worry I'll escalate it and someone should be taking a look at the problem soon. After that I spoke to some neighbors with DSL. Yep, theirs is down too. 3.5 hours later I call to see whats up. This guy tells me someone will be out at 5pm tomorrow to look at the problem. O.k.. so now starts a long conversation, more trouble shooting, and eventually talking to a supervisor that basically says to me, regardless of what you pay for the service, we're not going to do anything about it until tomorrow.

I can get that kind of poor service from the cable company and at a lower cost. Maybe it's time for me to cut telephone all together, use my cell phone, and get cable for internet.

Update on 3/20/2014. I moved 2 years ago and in the transaction with Frontier I got stuck with no phone service and having to change phone numbers even though before the move I was given no notification of that need. Thus I could wait 3 days to get my phone service at the new home, or the cable company could get me phone service in 2 hours. I picked the cable company. No longer with Frontier and don't even get telphone from the cable company anymore. I use cable internet and voip for telephone.

member for 5.5 years, 200 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ncted See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Fast, connection for a reasonable price. No caps. Netflix open connect CDN. CSRs and techs are very nice and friendly."
Bad "Installation happened a day late even though I purposely gave them plenty of lead time. 2 long outages in a week."
Overall "Nice folks, intermittent service."

I was on TWC Turbo (20/2), and I was unhappy with Netflix streaming performance and first byte time on websites and the recent price increases. Despite speedtest.net ping times of >20ms, it was laggy. I read that Frontier had joined the Netflix Open connect CDN: »signup.netflix.com/openconnect, and the price and speeds offered were good, so I decided to give it a try. I ordered Simply Broadband Max (24/2) for $55/month, no contract, free installation, and 2 year price guarantee.

Installation was a annoying because they didn't show up in the window they specified, and didn't call to tell me they weren't going to be able to make the appointment. I got a call over an hour later letting me know they would try again the next day. When I called to find out why, I was told they were busy fixing service for many people affected by adverse weather. While that may be true, they clearly knew they would not make my appointment well ahead of time, and they could have let me know sooner.

I received an ActionTec FV2200 modem. It has a full set of router features. I disabled wireless, and may try to put it into bridge mode, if I can determine how to make my Airport Extreme work with PPOE on a channel bonded connection.

Speedtest.net ping times are about 10ms longer than TWC, but first byte times are actually about 1/2 second lower than I observed with TWC. Netflix hasn't re-buffered yet, and it seems solidly at the highest PQ so far. I did experience an Internet outage (but not DSL, so must have been a backhaul issue) the first night I had the new service from about 12:30-2:00 AM, but TWC was down at the same time, so I would've been impacted either way. Since then, it has been rock solid. Hopefully that continues.

At the end of the day, I am happy I switched, and I hope this will be a reliable service for a long time to come.

UPDATE 3/5/2014:

I am posting this from my TWC connection I hadn't cancelled yet. Frontier has been down for hours and Tech Support has no idea why. This is the second time in a week. Not happy at the moment.

UPDATE 3/6/2014:

Due to connection reliability issues, I have cancelled my service. The CSR was extremely nice about it, and offered to lower my bill to make up for the inconvenience of the outage. If I didn't need this for work, I might consider it.

member for 3.7 years, 484 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Lyle jeffrey

@50.36.70.x

extremely dissatfied

I am writing this to let everyone know just how we have been treated with this company! my wife was called over a year ago with a offer to bundle our services so we could save about $30.00 a month . she agreed and they bundled our service lo and behold our monthly bill did not go down but went up by over $30.00. after numerous calls to frontier (getting some one different each time) we got nothing but a run around. At this point we ask to cancel our services and was told there would be a large charge to do so. mind you we have been with this company for ever. this was a year ago just this week my wife called to cancel our service and they say the contract was renewed in October. we had no idea how this was done they now say there is a $100.00 for early cancellation fee. this company is like a bad omen once your in you cant get out with out paying threw to nose. so be ware people you should think twice before doing business with these rip offs. we are on a fixed income so every little bit helps!

Review by Luka1 See Profile

• Location: Index,Snohomish,WA
Good "Good, reliable service."
Bad "Cost."

Ok, I've been on Frontier DSL for about two years now.

I love it.

There have been problems, but I have never dealt with a company of any sort that never had any problems.

The people at Frontier are quick to try to solve any problems. And the field techs are top notch!

Comments:

Review by butterfly See Profile

• Location: Myrtle Beach,Horry,SC
  • Telco party DSL.Net
Good "No contract "
Bad "Horrible"
Overall "They suck"

There costumer service sucks, i don't think anyone knows what they're doing ... I upgraded to the fastest speed available and it only got worse .... I keep losing connection and its so slow, I'm going with time warner, thank God I didn't have to sign a contract ...

Comments:

Review by acdunbar See Profile

• Location: Hurricane,Putnam,WV
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Extremely slow, terrible support"
Overall "Only service in area"

Terrible connection consistency and extremely slow. After fighting with support for over a year I have received every excuse under the sun for the poor service. Have had technicians out for service at least once a month and received a different cause each time, ranging from water in the line to some one messed with the wires in the distribution box. I have repeatedly requested the local supervisor to address the issues, but ultimately was ignored. Since Frontier is the only service provider for the area they refuse to improve the infrastructure and regularly ignore customer concerns. I am extremely displeased with the quality of service and customer support. If there were any other provider I would switch immediately, even if the price were exponentially more.

Comments:
ZSwiftmend

join:2013-05-05
Morgantown, WV

Frontier has been awful for years

I agree! We have been forced to use Frontier for the last 6-7 years (in WV also) because there is no other provider. The service is awful! They advertise one speed, but we dont even come close to that. We have to have a service tech at the house about every 60 days, because someone "moved the lines in the distribution box". They do not have the infrastructure to support the customer base. And it would appear that they have no intention of doing anything about it. We have reached out to several layers of management, with no response. It is frustration beyond belief.

Review by avisud See Profile

• Location: Kirkland,King,WA
Good "Reliable internet"
Bad "VEry slow, no upgrades to service in last 2 years, Pathetic customer service, No streaming services provided"
Overall "Stay away, "

Had the 15/5 package for last 2 years. No upgrades offered at all, while comcast has upgraded their service from 12/3 to 50/10. Online accounts/email account never works as expected, always land up calling customer service. Customer service reps are all across the board, contradicting one another in services offered.

Disappointed, high incentive to switch to comcast

Comments:

Review by siuuplink See Profile

• Location: Carbondale,Jackson,IL
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Extremely slow speeds"
Overall "No other choice"

Have had DSL for years, first with Verizon and then with Frontier when they took over the landlines in S. Illinois. Always had reliable service with Verizon. Cannot say the same for Frontier. For the past two months DSL download speeds fluctuate all over the place from a best of 1.52mbps down to .32kbps. Every time I call Frontier technical support I get the same story- "they are working on it and don't have any other information" and that "it is a congestion issue". So in other words, they have oversold this area and not installed equipment to handle increased demand. They cannot give me any more information. I find it astonishing that I live 4 miles from a major research university, yet I cannot get even a basic reliable internet connection from Frontier. My only option other than Frontier is satellite.

Comments:
tellyguy
join:2012-01-21
Saint Louis, MO

Internet Service

You should go to Clearwave.com to see if you can try to get their service. I know they serve most of Southern Illinois.

Frontiercom

@frontiernet.net

Frontier Internet

I live just north of St Paul, MN and have had Frontier for about 6 months. Just moved here and this is the only carrier according to what I've been told.

DSL is not terribly slow but hangs up quite frequently. I have tried to get online with Frontier a couple of times but seem to get lost in the "time warp" waiting for service and give up. Any thoughts or replies?

Review by lawsoncl See Profile

• Location: Spirit Lake,Kootenai,ID
Good "Mostly reliable, slows down a bit in heavy usage hours"
Bad "Capped at 1.5 service even though line support 4-meg"
Overall "Only available option, so I'm stuck"

Frontier customer support sucks. When you call for support, their goal is to get you off the phone. They keep closing tickets for no apparent reason. Their own techs have told me that my line will support up to 4.7-meg, but their helpdesk will insist that I'm only eligible for 1.5 meg in my market area. The real answer is that the Frontier infrastructure is so poor, that they are artificially limiting connection speeds so they can sell more service without actually upgrading their equipment.

Comments:

Review by jpw42 See Profile

• Location: Austin,Mower,MN
Good "It is better then dial up... maybee... when it works..."
Bad "Slow, unreliable, bad service "
Overall "If you have any choice, dont choose Frontier."

They often lie to you when you are having problems. Tell you it is a problem on your side. I have been in the middle of exams for school and oops... no internet. I guess that I just have to call the Professor and beg for more time to take the test. AVOID at all costs.