Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by siuuplink See Profile

• Location: Carbondale,Jackson,IL
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Extremely slow speeds"
Overall "No other choice"

Have had DSL for years, first with Verizon and then with Frontier when they took over the landlines in S. Illinois. Always had reliable service with Verizon. Cannot say the same for Frontier. For the past two months DSL download speeds fluctuate all over the place from a best of 1.52mbps down to .32kbps. Every time I call Frontier technical support I get the same story- "they are working on it and don't have any other information" and that "it is a congestion issue". So in other words, they have oversold this area and not installed equipment to handle increased demand. They cannot give me any more information. I find it astonishing that I live 4 miles from a major research university, yet I cannot get even a basic reliable internet connection from Frontier. My only option other than Frontier is satellite.

Comments:
tellyguy
join:2012-01-21
Saint Louis, MO

Internet Service

You should go to Clearwave.com to see if you can try to get their service. I know they serve most of Southern Illinois.

Frontiercom

Frontier Internet

I live just north of St Paul, MN and have had Frontier for about 6 months. Just moved here and this is the only carrier according to what I've been told.

DSL is not terribly slow but hangs up quite frequently. I have tried to get online with Frontier a couple of times but seem to get lost in the "time warp" waiting for service and give up. Any thoughts or replies?

Review by lawsoncl See Profile

• Location: Spirit Lake,Kootenai,ID
Good "Mostly reliable, slows down a bit in heavy usage hours"
Bad "Capped at 1.5 service even though line support 4-meg"
Overall "Only available option, so I'm stuck"

Frontier customer support sucks. When you call for support, their goal is to get you off the phone. They keep closing tickets for no apparent reason. Their own techs have told me that my line will support up to 4.7-meg, but their helpdesk will insist that I'm only eligible for 1.5 meg in my market area. The real answer is that the Frontier infrastructure is so poor, that they are artificially limiting connection speeds so they can sell more service without actually upgrading their equipment.

Comments:

Review by jpw42 See Profile

• Location: Austin,Mower,MN
Good "It is better then dial up... maybee... when it works..."
Bad "Slow, unreliable, bad service "
Overall "If you have any choice, dont choose Frontier."

They often lie to you when you are having problems. Tell you it is a problem on your side. I have been in the middle of exams for school and oops... no internet. I guess that I just have to call the Professor and beg for more time to take the test. AVOID at all costs.

Comments:

Review by Sarick See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "none"
Bad "Multiple repair tickets for same problem"
Overall "It's the only service available"

They upgraded the download caps we loved the fact of having maximum connection limits. Service was wonderful and our connection was stable.

We contacted support over technical issues of being disconnected recently 3/2008. This happened after a line was damaged in route to our house was repaired. (a tree fell on the lines) An intermittent issue caused attenuation to reach over 60+ causing our connections to drop with an average that was 51. After contacting the tech support a ticket was issued.

The problem appeared to be resolved and out connection was again working at about 2m+ down. We again started having issues, We again contacted support after unusual errors. That night our max limit prematurely dropped to the minimum guaranteed rates. The problems with drop offs continued and we again contacted support. The next day a tech visited our hour for the first time and we had no issues.

Unfortunately, because of contacting support our connection limits that where previously 100% reliable before 2008 where permanently capped. I contacted support and was given the run around that we only guarantee 1m down and because the problem is fixed they don't understand why I'm upset.

UPDATE:

I finally contacted, frontier nets main company about this issue and a nice employee called me back withing hours. The issue was fixed and my line was upgraded to 2.6 meg. Today it went down for the first time in months after I called up over congestion. now it's at 3.7 almost 4 meg down.

There are still a lot of errors but I suppose as long as the line is stable and fast I'm not complaining. I'm very please that this single representative got through the red tape and fixed everything.

UPDATE:11/11/09

did a line test seems ok enough but as you can see they still have some minor backbone network issues that aren't on my end.

»/linequality/nil/2585263

UPDATE:10/25/13

4 days ago at around 10:47 I think on Oct. 22 the internet went down. After 24 hours of no service I tried calling up the tech repair lines. I was greeted with the disconnected message "We're sorry, the number you dialed in not in service at this time please~~" Not only did the internet go down but the phone lines where knocked out so that no outside local numbers could be accessed.

I decided to dial 0 and speak to an operator. That managed to work she was able to transfer me to the line repair. After speaking to this representative she issued a ticket for the phone then transferred me to DSL tech support. I spoke him about the internet. They was having issues in my area with no sentiment on repair. I thanked him nicely and finished the call.

After another 2 days of waiting I called up again asking when DSL service would be restored. This representative seemed like he know there was a problem but could offer no repair quote. I ask him if this was indefinite until farther notice. He implied that yes there was working to resolve the issues. On the 24th I called again wanting to see if there was an update on the situation. I was greeted with the warning that high speed connections in and around (private) and (private) near me where still experiencing issues.

After waiting on the line several minutes a person got on the phone. I explained my information ask a few questions. He told it wasn't his problem to that my internet wasn't working. Apparently, my experience and the settings that I've been using the past three years with my equipment where irrelevant. He then then ask for a number to call me back if we got disconnected. His suggestion was to hook up a frontier modem router so he could do a scripted support call. He was unaware the the only modem frontier sent me was dated back to 2008 and also no longer supported. He then said we are currently experiencing no outages in your area. I ask him to hold on the line. I three way called frontier on the second line and let him listen to the frontier message. He hung up the phone after a few seconds of the frontier message.

I looked through my logs modem sync etc. The ADSL sync, ethernet connection and line stability all checked out fine. What I found was that the PPPoE was timing out on their end. Either the server was ignoring my request or it was down. I called up my neighbor and ask his if his internet was up. He seemed antagonistic but logged on his provided modem/router without much issue. Clearly something was up.

Well, oddly it was so this lead me into some investigation. I tried multiple PPPoE connections both on the router and bypassing the router though the modems internal router. In all cases PPPoE authentication never worked. I then decided to remove my DSL modem and use the old frontier modem/router in bridged mode. It also failed. I then tried to access it using the original frontier settings to connect through PPPoE. This being a frontier modem/router with the technician settings. This should've allowed their hardware to connect through their hardware and setup. Low and behold this also failed.

I decided to drop the PPPoE authentication and use the long outdated PPPoA settings from back when the service was introduced into my area. I had to manually enter these settings into the modem router as the newer device didn't have them per-programmed. Oddly, the modem was able to authenticate PPPoA. I'm at a loss for words. Clearly something at frontier was broken or set to restrict connections. I can no longer bridge over PPPoE with any device. Sadly, If PPPoE works it must need need extra perimeters or specific MAC addresses range (forcing frontier equipment) or cloning.

The only reason I'm able to write this updated review is because I'm double routing though the frontier modem that is authenticated by PPPoA. Apparently, they didn't fully phase it out in my area so I lucked out.

My internet is crippled and Frontier will not even open up communication to resolve my issues. As you can see I've been trying several days with no results. This is clearly not the most professional way to help a paid customer that's having technical issues. There is no way to resolve the problem if the engineers are hiding behind scripted tech support personnel.

Right now my connection is crippled it barely works and anything that uses the external ip internally or through the firewall is severely limited.

UPDATE:10/25/13 (part two later that day)

After contacting (unnamed) at frontier consumer affairs and getting past the red tape a tech called me to discuss setting up a new modem from frontier. I feared the tech would push it off as my only equipment choice and insist situation was because incompatible hardware on my end. After a few minutes of discussion we agreed to let him setup a modem and test it at the d-slam. After this call my DSL sync went down. I switched back in my old modem setup that wasn't working in case it came back up fully.

After a few minutes remarkably it came back up and my PPPoE connection established at 3712 using the same hardware/setup prior to the loss of internet. Woohoo!, It then abruptly was dropped again. I Called him up to tell him that I established a connection and PPPoE was started working on my end again. He explained the issue was a bad network port on their end that caused this issue. The reason the connection came back up is the card port was bad/replaced. Amazing ADSL sync, end to end ping almost everything checked out but the PPPoE POP failed to create a session when the PADO packets timed out.

When the connection came back up the second time I noted the 50% drop in provision sync. I explained that my issue wasn't DSL sync or packet loss or my hardware so why did I get re-provisioned. He seemed fine with returning it to 3712 but reluctant sating that the distance would cause buffering. To me if the line is capable of nearly 6mbps having it provisioned to 1700is is way less then 50% capacity. After the changes and several links down the line remained locked to 1700 even though he stated it was for 2500. He eventually figured it out after calling up another tech bringing the rate back up to 3712.

All in all even though my issue was resolved I had to take extraordinary steps to get action. For this reason my ratings will remain extremely low. Because tech support refused to deal with me or issue a repair ticket (shifting the blame) the end result was wasted time and a bitter experience. Even the tech I spoke to seemed to think the issue was on my end after multiple cases that faulted hardware/setup on frontiers end. Every one of these could have been resolved If they listened to my advice and simply placed a repair ticket. As always except for one case (Tel-line was sliced) the connection issues resulted in failures on their hardware. It's really sad to see that a modem needed setup/programmed at the local office to even open a ticket. In the techs eyes I was/am always considered the lose link. That was until their hardware failed to connect! Only then did they realize the issue was real.

All in all if it wasn't for the executive office branch in frontier my internet would probably still be down. After being down four days I'm happy to get it back up without double routing. I solute (unnamed) because she took action again that got past the red tape. My apologies to her because I can't directly identify her under the BBR rules.

Comments:

Review by shoechew See Profile

• Location: Delray,Hampshire,WV
Good "I have nothing good to say about Frontier"
Bad "Over priced garbage. Lies."
Overall "Yes, Frontier is the very lowest bottom line."

»www.bbb.org/

»www.fcc.gov/complaints

»www.wvago.gov/publicresource.cfm

»www.psc.state.wv.us/complaints/default.htm

We have had Frontier just over a year and it has always been unacceptable. Over the past 2 months I have complained several times to Frontier, the BBB and the FCC. I guess they robbed from the rest of our neighborhood to give extra speed to us because lately our Speedtest results are twice as high as the neighbor's. Now Frontier insists there is nothing wrong with our connection and they act like I am lying when I tell them it STILL slows to a crawl in the evenings. Even IF the connection was stable and reliable, $45 for 1 meg would still be a huge ripoff and such overpricing should be criminal considering how slow it really is. We can't even go back to dial-up because Frontier will charge a ridiculous/per minute rate for data.

Comments:

Joe Dirt

Frontier

I don't have any problems with Frontier. Speeds depend on the distance to the Dslam. We have 3meg here and most of the time its right around 3meg. The end of the summer it dropped down to 2meg but now that the kids are back in school things are back to normal.

Frontierbeer

@192.182.219.x

Frontier is OK - speeds usually as claimed

seems as if uploads are being compressed as of late - vpn to ADSL is barely usable - but usually getting the download speed advertised (3~5 Mbits down). Upload speed is another issue - should be 300k and best at this end has been 178k. Contacting customer service usually resolves lag/jitter/speed issues - for a time - then need to call again. VoIP on this line is marginal. The local tech is AWESOME tho - much better service calling the tech directly than putting in a trouble ticket. I can't imagine that TWC would be any better though - got us all over a barrel so for now it's the option that's available. (A captive market).
jwhitaker148

join:2013-08-15
Lucasville, OH

Yep

I can sympathize.

I've been waiting for about 50 days for my install.

But they say I'll be good to go on 10/2. I hope so.

Review by Dyrnwyn See Profile

• Location: Blomkest,Kandiyohi,MN
Good "Field Techs."
Bad "Everything else - & just getting a field tech out is horrible."
Overall "If there's anything else available besides sat & dial-up, take it!"

6 years with Frontier, & nothing but trouble. They were the only broadband provider for our town until recently, & I will be changing. Only reason I've waited is because our landline phones are with them too, so I've built a PBX to take care of that issue, just need to finish tweaking it & it's bye-bye Frontier, hello MVTV.

Most recent complaint would be this past week, when most of the entire Frontier network went down, & it took 1 hour & 34 minutes with a phone tech & her supervisor to finally decide it wasn't just my computers & then sent a tech out to replace the modem. As soon as the modem was replaced, internet was back. No way in anybody's business that should have taken more than a few minutes, given the widespread problem (I called two hours after they told my wife's business that the entire state was down & they had over 80 calls at that point) (also, turns out they were down all over the country, not just MN), let alone more than 20 minutes!

Before that, one other major issue of the line being "grazed" a block away took 3 months to get fixed. The tech had to dig down through snow to get to the sliced wires. Had they heeded my complaints about the quality of service three months before, there wouldn't have been any snow, & I wouldn't have had such poor internet.

I could go on, I have several customers I do tech work for that "used" to be Frontier customers.

Look at their S&P stock downgrade last week to "negative". Not a company to do business with, let alone invest in. Get as far away from them as possible.

UPDATE: Managed to leave Frontier in the spring of 2013. They tried to pull the "you're still in contract" crap, so I told them they already breached the contract due to the poor quality and fraudulent speed claims (their techs informed me our area is governed to never go over 1.5, even though they bumped us up to the 6mb billing rate in October 2012).

Currently using BroadbandMN.com. They cost more, but for the most part, have been much more reliable, and the speeds over 80% of the time are as advertised. They lease from Charter - just wish I could actually get Charter.....

Comments:

Joe dirt

hmm

Well your area is set up with VDSL and speeds around 12 meg or better.

Review by schipper See Profile

• Location: Nebo,Mcdowell,NC
Good "Not much, most of the people at the call center speak english, which is good because you will be calling them often."
Bad "It is constantly down. When it is working its slow, and they havn't improved the speeds in 3 years."
Overall "Go with any other provider if possible, even Sat if you can deal with the latency. "

I have had their service since they took over from Verizon and it has consistently gotten worse since that point. In the past year I haven't had a single month where it hasn't gone down at least once. Their support is completely useless as well, quoting as much as 9 days out for repair sometimes. When you do call in you almost always end up with someone reading off a script who is unable to do anything other then schedule an appointment for next week. All in all its the single worst service I have ever dealt with and I am selling my house just to get away from them.

Comments:

Review by aguypd See Profile

• Location: Silver Springs,Wyoming,NY
Good "First year is free"
Bad "We lose our connection every time it rains"
Overall "Switched back to RR"

(update 2013-06)There hasn't been any improvement in the service from Frontier. The latency still runs 60-70 ms and the bandwidth is still down around 3.5 Mbs on the 10 Mbs service.

(update 2012-11)Recently the Internet service seems to have degraded. The latency has increased to near 70 ms and the connection resets several times a day with a new IP address being issued each time.

(update 2010-09)I am still glad that I switched back to Road Runner. However, my mother still uses Frontier's DSL. She consistenly gets bandwidths around 3.5 Mbs on her 10 Mbs service. The latency is usually around 50 ms. It can be frustrating to work on the computers at her house and attempting to use the Internet, after getting used to Road Runner at home.

We decided to get rid of our telephone service with Frontier, too, and switch to Time Warner's Digital Phone. Frontier wanted to charge us $200 because they said we had entered into a 2 year contract with them for the Telephone service. The two years for the DSL when we had it, ended back in May of 2010, and we never agreed to a 2 year contract, so I guess they just automatically put us on one.

My wife called the service department and complained and the customer service representative, said that they would cancel the $200 charge.

(update)After continuously comparing bandwidth between my mom's dsl with Frontier and our Road Runner connection, the Road Runner connection is always about three times the bandwidth and less than half of the latency.

(update)My mother, who still has Frontier DSL, got hit by lightning. She called Frontier's customer service and told them that she lost the phones and DSL. The service tech came out and got the phones back online, but never checked the DSL. She had to call them again and finally drove an hour to one of their centers, to pick up a new modem.

(update)Forget trying to get anywhere with their customer service. If you tell them you have an issue, only when it is raining and the lines are wet, they will still send a technician the next day, even though the sun is shining and everything is dried out.

(update)Switched back to Road Runner after less than six months with Frontiernet. It was a mistake to ever switch to Frontiernet.

Switched from Time Warner's Road Runner to Frontiernet's 10M DSL with a new plan that the first year is free and the second year is only $30/month and a promise that the 10M was available to our house. This turned out to be a mistake

After having the service for almost a month, we had several problems and tech support was a 45 minute wait on the phone. Technicians came out the next day and found a problem between us and the CO. Our speeds, 3568/374, are better than they were yesterday, 503/260, but not as good as they had been, 4417/376. This definitely is not what they promised us, though.

Apparently, when it rains our connection is unstable. This is terrible. I guess I have to hope for a drought, so I can have a good connection. Because of the bad connections in the wet weather, Frontier keeps throttling back our speed, instead of fixing the actual problem. The latency has really tanked, too. We were getting a latency around 35 ms, but now we are over 80 ms.

Every time it rains, we can look forward to speeds around 500/200 and a latency over 100 ms. It is terrible.

Frontier has released their announcement on their caps, and our speed is down to 95/78 with a latency of 695 ms. Go figure.

After lying to us about the availability of 10M being available in our area and their position on net neutrality, I am not holding our breath about their honesty, that people in their price protection agreement, won't be capped, also.

member for 5.9 years, 2312 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dssidnt See Profile

• Location: Flushing,Belmont,OH
Bad "Unreliable. Sometimes the speed is tolerable, but then drops."
Overall "If you can avoid getting Frontier, please choose another way if possible."

I am in a rural area. When I called to inquire, they promised a guaranteed speed of 3Mbps. After installation I was lucky to barely get 1.5. They have improved a little bit as my speed is now about 2.5. I would like to switch to cable, but we live quite a way from the main cable line, so it is not an option, and satellite pricing is out of the question.

Comments:

Review by timkedojeh See Profile

• Location: Olney,Richland,IL
Good "Decent speeds, if you can get them"
Bad "Extreme congestion and terrible reps"
Overall "If Frontier's your only choice, move."

We've had Frontier service since the lines were Verizon. Back then, things were good; out in the middle of nowhere, you can't expect much. The moment Frontier took over, things starting going downhill. First came the congestion as they added more customers to already-saturated areas, then the price hikes.

The beginning of the end was three days ago. We scheduled to have our home phone disconnected (since everyone has a cell phone). Since the phone was turned off, our speeds have been atrocious. I finally decided to check the transceiver statistics and, huh, our previously provisioned 3Mbps line was now reading 1.5Mbps (1684). Plenty of margin to spare, so it obviously wasn't a line issue.

I called support and asked them what was up. They tried to convince me that the most I could've ever been provisioned for was 1.5, I never had 3, and that the entire area was restricted to 1.5. (Huh, so what was with those sales you guys did as soon as you took over, advertising 7.1?)

It's obvious that Frontier is over-saturated to the point where new customers are being held back to the bare minimums to maintain network quality for everyone else. It's a slap in the face that they're doing it to established customers as well when we change services. The fact that the rep had the balls to lie to me was the last straw.

In the morning, I'm calling NewWave, I'm getting a RG6 cable buried down the 400ft driveway, and I'm saying goodbye and good riddance to Frontier forever. Never again!