Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by co_elk See Profile

• Location: Effingham,Effingham,IL
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Not much :("
Bad "Real slow.. Very inconsistent speeds"

No competition in area.. They know that and are not improving there network!

Comments:

GERRY

@70.100.151.x

SERVICE

TERRIBLE SERVICE,BUT CONSISTANT......CONSISTANTLY TERRIBLE

stratoman

@166.182.3.x

Re: SERVICE

I hear ya man!!!.....NET went down last Friday night....still don't have it back and it's Tues evening now....told me a Tech will be out when one becomes available.....also told me that they don't prioritize home customers at all....just business ones....so if other service tickets of a higher priority are in the hopper, you are last on the pile and it could be whenever as home accounts just get pushed back.......sounds to me like I will get a Tech out if they have nothing really better to do.....what a great company!.......I wonder if that is the way the owners' HOME account is set up and if he waits till all the business tickets are serviced before they get to his issue? Gives me real confidence in his sincerity when he talks about how "customers are the top priority" & "they will do what ever it takes" to achieve a high level of customer satisfaction on the TV commercials......there is a bright spot however.....NO long term agreement locking me in.......so time to go shopping. Bottom line.....FRONTIER SUCKS REAL BAD at what they do. Best of luck to you. Jp

Review by glhamden See Profile

• Location: Lerona,Mercer,WV
Good "Avoid this company "
Bad "Avoid at all costs"
Overall "Avoid"

This company is only interested in money they do not care if you get what you paid for even with their terrible dsl they are constantly trying to up sell for more junk you do not need or want they will not stand be behind anything they sale you

Also note FCC is slowly becoming aware

Comments:
DeLiver
join:2004-09-01
Cincinnatus, NY

For the record...

"They have over sold their bandwidth in every market they serve and refuse to supply you with the bandwidth you purchased"

That is a complete lie. I am a customer that gets the bandwidth I purchased. Location is everything.

Review by Hank See Profile

• Location: Burlington,Mineral,WV
Good "With exceptions - see below."
Overall "Reliability is mediocure."

I have the DSLMax with a second connect. Telephone service is included on both lines. Modems supplied by Frontier are Westel 7500 and Netgear 7550. These modems are low end consumer grade. Because I live in a very rural area I do not expect any upgrades beyond what is currently available. Although reliability has improved over the last couple years it is still below industry standards. Dealing with the Customer Service Rep's is always a mistake. They do not listen to what the customer is saying. They have the mindset that customers are dumb and have absolutely no understanding of how the system works. Often they say the first dumb thing that pops into their head. Being acquainted with the local management team is a big plus. They will do their best to make sure that problems are addressed. Unfortunately they also must deal with Frontier Corp. management and are often as frustrated as the consumer is.

member for 12.3 years, 6205 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by RogueJawa See Profile

• Location: Lucasville,Scioto,OH
Good "Field techs are great, social Media Team very helpful"
Bad "National customer service, doesn't communicate problems well, initially bundled with Dish and that order was wrong"
Overall "Extreme patience and persistence required, only provider in the area, slow speed but better than dialup"

·WOW Internet and..
Back in July of 2013 I made the decision to move from the big city back to rural Ohio. Frontier is the phone and internet provider for the area which isn't serviced by a cable company because they say there are too few customers on the road to justify running cable there. I didn't really foresee it being a problem because my mother and a cousin that live on the same road have DSL from Frontier and don't have any issues.

Apparently I'm not that lucky.

So with some optimism I called Frontier to establish service. The lady I spoke to seemed nice and took all of my information. I decided to go ahead and get Dish Network since that's what they bundle with and get their DSL; I have enough bars on my cell phone to make calls so I really didn't want to get their home phone. After a few moments of small talk, because the rep was actually IN my area (which led me to feel even more optimistic), she informs me that my address isn't eligible for DSL service because it's too far away from the office. I asked her where the office was and she told me it was in Portsmouth. After a few minutes of explaining I get her to understand that there are two homes further away from the office than mine that have DSL from Frontier. She then explains that maybe her system just isn't up to date and she goes ahead and processes the order, setting me up with my satellite install and a self-install for my DSL.

A few days later I get a call from a Frontier rep that went to voicemail. She explained that they had to change my service date and asked me to give them a call. I promptly called back and the lady I spoke to confirmed my order, except she had me down for basic phone service and satellite TV. We went through the whole thing again, complete with her verifying the DSL service at a residence further from the office than mine, and she set me back up and made sure my modem was going to ship.

Curious, I called Dish to confirm my installation and it turns out it was all screwed up too. No DVR had been ordered, I had the wrong package, everything. So I fixed that order and crossed my fingers.

The 23rd rolls around and I call to find out when I should plug in the modem and test the connection. The rep told me to wait until 6:00 pm which is how late the techs are usually out. So at 6:30 I hook up the modem and.. nothing. No solid DSL light, just a blinking one. I call them back and they tell me the tech came and said I lived too far away. I asked them how it was possible that two other homes could have service and were further away from the office but mine can't. The rep told me they couldn't answer that and referred me to a supervisor, Michelle, from "Escalations." She said she'd contact engineering and call me back the next day.

I never got a call back from her. I waited a couple of days and called Frontier again. This time I was told they were going to groom the lines and I would get a call from the local manager on when I should expect service. I never got that call either. I waited several more days, called back on a Friday, and this time I got a guy who contacted their dispatch for me and told me they estimated it would be about a week. Ten days later I still don't have service so I call back and get told that they're going to groom the lines the next day, add an extender, that a tech would be out and I should be good to go.

Ha.

I never saw a tech before I had to leave for work. I called Frontier again to see if everything was still going to go as planned. I was told the tech was out in the field but they left a message with my phone number and asked the tech to call me when they were hooking the line up and tell me how things went. I never got that call either.

I'm so tired of dealing with Frontier at this point that I don't even know if I really care anymore. Despite that feeling I called back again today and was given to a supervisor who told me she was going to get me a technical supervisor and get me some kind of answer. Really at this point that's all I want. I'm on the verge of getting satellite internet because this is just ridiculous. Even with a cap and the horrible customer service satellite supposedly has it can't be worse than what I've put up with from Frontier. At this point even if they put their foot down and tell me I can't have service and I have to send the modem back I just want an answer on why.

Maybe I'm being unreasonable but it just doesn't seem logical to me that two homes further away from the office than I am have DSL but I'm not eligible. It makes ZERO SENSE.

I want to have hope that this supervisor will get me a resolution but I'm running pretty low on hope at the moment. Right now I would tell anyone thinking of getting service from Frontier to stay away from it unless they had no other option.

UPDATE 08/28/13: The supervisor, Nicky, from Washington has still never called me back. I've left multiple messages asking for an update and still nothing. However, as I was leaving for work today lo and behold there was a Frontier van sitting in my yard and a gentleman working on the line. He told me that he couldn't sync from the line itself and he suspected an old coil somewhere was interfering with the signal. He said he had spoken to the guy who did the DSL upgrade for my road and that there was no reason every house on it couldn't have DSL.

Which.. is what I've been saying all along. But it's nice to know that their technicians aren't just a myth fabricated by the worst customer service center I have ever dealt with. Only one CSR has given me real answers and the rest never call back when they say they're going to; including their supervisors. So I guess I'll wait a little bit longer before calling the local satellite company to have Exede installed so I can see how this will play out.

UPDATE 08/30/13: I received a voicemail from Frontier yesterday saying engineering had my service ready to go and that they would send me a modem. I found this interesting because I already have a modem. Out of curiosity I checked it and sure enough, still not synced. I called tech support to see if it was because they said they were sending a new modem or because of some other problem but they said the work order was still open. Needless to say I got transferred to customer service again who to,d me I lived too far out. I told her what the tech told me about the coils and she said "Oh yeah, old coils will block a DSL signal." And then she gave me a service date of October 2nd to get the work done.

Original service date? July 23rd.

Satellite is seriously looking more attractive by the day.

UPDATE 9/10/13: I spoke with Frontier again today, got a pretty nice guy who didn't read from a script and give me a response based on the first note for my order like most of the people I talk to do. He put me on hold for quite a while and kept apologizing for it but I told him it was no big deal. Honestly it isn't, not if you're genuinely trying to help me, which he was. When he came back to the line he told me that a tech had noted on 8/24 that I lived 25,500 feet away from the node, but that the local engineer went out to check and said they were wrong and that I only lived 13,000 feet away from the node. He also was supposed to have taken care of all the technical issues blocking service, but because our area is backed up it will be 10/2 before they can hook everything up.

So unless something changes my next update will be in October.. and hopefully I'll be able to give them a higher score.

UPDATE 10/04/13: Nope. Still no DSL. Now I'm dealing with the social media team after complaining on Facebook and Twitter. My new service date is 10/8 and supposedly all they have to do is hook up the outside wiring. We'll see. Next stop is the state attorney general. This review is turning into a blog with all the updates. I also revised the monthly price to show only the price do the DSL and not the combo with Dish. Also lowered the install coordination rating to reflect yet another missed install date and the fact it took me half a day of phone calls and social media complaints to get an answer on a new service date. RR on the social media team was polite and helpful at least.

UPDATE 10/10/13: Finally, some good news to share. Going the social media route and working with their Social Media Team has paid off, also a nice lady named Dawn from Customer Service who followed up with me this evening. A field tech came out yesterday morning and completed the outside wiring. I spoke with him before he left and he said I was good to go, that he'd been able to synch from the outside wiring and I had a DSL signal. Unfortunately I tried both modems and neither one will synch up. I spoke with Tech Support, Social Media, and Dawn from Customer Service and they are sending a tech back out tomorrow to inspect the inside wiring. I told them if they needed to, and if it would help, I would happily pay for the install of a new jack.

I've updated what ratings above that I can, and hopefully tomorrow I can update this from home to reflect fully working service inside the house.

UPDATE 10/12/13: My service was finally established on 10/12 and the tech who came out was amazing. Nicest guy in the world, really, and he took the time to make sure everything was working and connected before he left even though it was originally a self install. I'm very pleased with the local staff. The national staff, with the exception of Dawn (wherever you are) and Ree from Social Media, leave much to be desired. I appreciate all of Ree's work in coordinating with the local staff to keep me updated and Dawn from Customer Service who did follow my account after we spoke and called to see if there was anything she could do to help.

The service for the last 24 hours has been pretty reliable. I'm running the Frontier branded Netgear 7550. It kept hanging on one of the setup steps initially but the tech was able to resolve that issue and had it up and running, altogether I don't think he was there for more than 15 minutes, maybe 20 at the most. He was very professional and I appreciated that. As far as value for money.. well that's kind of subjective. It's nothing like the cable connection I had at my old place but the road I live on doesn't have enough subscribers to interest Time Warner so they never ran cable there. Before Frontier took over it was a Verizon area and they hadn't even established DSL service this far out. So it IS slow and I'm paying roughly $30 for speed I can't achieve, but it's faster than dialup and cheaper than capped satellite services.

Exede is not an option without topping some trees. I don't know about HughesNet, I never looked into them because I've heard they're the worst satellite provider there is. Verizon is the only reliable cell provider that reaches the valley I'm in and I wasn't prepared to pay the premiums they ask each month. Speed is pretty much around what I expected for the area. To me slow DSL, roughly 700Kbps to 1Mb, is better than no service at all or dialup in the area that I'm in so .. value for money is pretty good, at least for me. For someone else it might not be worth it, and if I'm lucky they'll keep upgrading and it will get better. Frontier crews are around all the time, I assume updating Verizon's antiquated network. Before I moved out of the county originally I lived in the biggest city the county sports and Verizon only had DSL service established within a few streets of their offices so I'd say Frontier has made leaps and bounds toward expanding that. They advertise up to 6Mb/s but I knew there was no way I was getting close to that.

Oh, and I still have two modems. The tech didn't seem interested in taking the other one with him so I guess I have a spare in case something happens to one of them. This is a change because most places are very adamant about getting equipment back.

Pros:

- Despite the speed I was able to update Steam and download some game files.

- iPhone and iPad are able to update reliably.

- DVR has a connection to the outside world and now allows for scheduling away from home, can order PPV, haven't tried any OnDemand services but the informational apps work fine.

- Not dialup.

Cons:

- It IS slow.. but this is subjective.

- Does not handle multitasking well.

Verdict: Better than having nothing at all or having dialup.

UPDATE 11/03: About three days after the install I began to notice the modem losing sync a few times between noon and about 7:00 pm. I attributed this to network congestion, but after a few more days the modem was losing sync quite a bit more often; seemed like it would drop every ten to fifteen minutes and my speeds were basically dial-up equivalent.

I sent an email to the general manger for my area and he said he would look into it. We discussed a similar problem my mother's modem had experienced and what the tech had suggested to fix it, I told him what my speeds were at install and what they were at now. I noticed a change the next day and in two days everything seemed to be back to normal. I've had no other issues and fairly consistent speeds at the rate that I expected for being so remote.

I've also been told I'm getting two months free for all of the install issues! It's not FiOS or cable and I can't really do streaming which would be a dealbreaker for some, but I'm able to waste my time in Final Fantasy XIV: ARR and that makes me a happy subscriber!

UPDATE 02/13/14: Credits were given as promised, but to this day I've never received a follow up from the general manager. There are still days where the service is impossible to use because the modem loses sync every 15-20 minutes. I can tell you that the initial elation I felt at finally having working service has since worn off. I'm not even going to bother trying tech support given their past performance. In late Summer/Fall of 2014 I plan on moving back to the city and the area I'm moving to is serviced by WOW. I'm looking forward to canceling Frontier and getting my cable service back. Unless something major happens I doubt I will update this listing until I terminate service.

UPDATE 05/17/14: Terminated service on the 15th. Trying to charge me $10 to disconnect the account which hasn't worked in a month anyway. Up yours Frontier. Good riddance.

member for 1 year, 31 visits, last login: 7 days ago

Comments:
DeLiver
join:2004-09-01
Cincinnatus, NY

A quick question...

If your Frontier experience had exceeded your expectations, would you have contributed a similarly long and helpful review?

I doubt it.

Re: A quick question...

Actually as soon as I receive my refund check from Wide Open West after they log my equipment returned I was going to post a review on them, because I loved their service and wish they offered service where I am now.

My turn.

Did you have a point to make or do you just like to hear yourself talk?

I doubt it. I'm betting you like to hear yourself talk. Perhaps, given your own "review", you just don't like seeing people give a negative recount of their experience with your friends? Just because you have "connections" at Frontier and like their service doesn't make my negative review any less valid, or take away my right to post it if I wish.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
·SureWest Internet

said by DeLiver:

I doubt it.

I doubt it also. Not for the same snarky reason as you posted though. Reason I doubt it is that there is rarely any good experience regarding Frontier.

Sarick
It's Only Logical
join:2003-06-03
USA
·Frontier Communi..
After seeing your review from a different region I question the motivations behind your comment.

»Review of Frontier Communications by DeLiver
Sarick's Dungeon Clipart

Joe Dirt

@frontiernet.net

Frontier

I don't have any issues with Frontier. techs are nice and do what they can. I know that they are working on some congestion issues. I know that things seem to get worse but I have seen some speed bumps here in MN in some of their exchanges. They are more reliable than the cable copmany in my area which is Mediacom.

Re: Frontier

That's great for MN, but not so much here in Ohio.
iowaboy
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA
·Mediacom
·Windstream
·WildBlue

Re: Frontier

I don't know what the problem is with the review. It is just an honest post of what has happened so far. It reminds me of another national company who has lots of issues also and not providing what it should be. I do hope they finally get your DSL installed and working. I haven't updated my review on my phone company DSL experiences yet but will soon as I am having issues of a bad line that they seem to not want to fix.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Re: Frontier

There is no problem with the review. However, the review really comes down to the OP insisting on having the service installed after the OP was told the service would not work. Now, months later, guess what? The service doesn't work. IMHO its BS to post a bad review when there was obviously a reason way back at the first phone call the OP was told he/she was not eligible for service.

Re: Frontier

IMHO it's BS to reply to a review without fully reading it. If you had you would see that two houses further away than mine have DSL and that they essentially are the end of the line. You would also see the section where the field tech discussed that the entire road had been upgraded for DSL. You would also see that the engineer measured and said I wasn't too far out and did qualify for service, hence why they did the upgrade two years ago. Hence the first person you think I should have listened to was WRONG.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Re: Frontier

Yet here you are with no DSL. I read your review. I also know that the telephone lines don't always run in the direction you think. You have conflicting reports from different people. You don't have DSL and your review doesn't really provide any useful information other than you were advised you can't get DSL and guess what? You can't get DSL.

Re: Frontier

I'm pretty sure when the line doesn't go past the last pole that I know what direction it's coming from. And if you'd really read it you'd know that the engineer says I CAN because it was mismeasured and that one of the technicians who came out said they had spoken with the guy who did the DSL upgrade for the entire road.

Should I say it slower?

Engineering said the entire road was upgraded for DSL service.

Therefore, Customer Service was initially wrong.

Oh, and per the latest update.. I have a DSL signal at the NID now. So technically I have DSL, there's just a break somewhere between the NID and the jack.
rody_44
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 recommendation

I have comcast and live in a verizon area. I think what he is trying to tell you that just because the two houses are further from you doesnt mean your line is shorter. That is indeed a true statement. It may not make sense to you but that is the way it is. It doesnt really matter why they do it that way the fact is its not rare at all no matter what phone company it is. You have to remember when phone lines were ran dsl wasnt even around. I was in the exact same boat with verizon until they ran fiber. people further away could get it and i couldnt. Came down to even tho we share the road we didnt share the same route.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

But like I said. One of the techs was on the phone with a local engineer who PERFORMED the upgrade for the entire road. All of the lines were updated. Every house qualifies for service, and NOW if I go to their website and input my address it allows for ordering. It didn't before.

Like I said, the initial person I spoke to was wrong.
slopoke

join:2012-05-20
London, OH

Re: Frontier

Well glad I stopped by today my fellow buckeye and Frontier customer. I found it entertaining. Sounds like you might have had a wire issue from the first modem. Any way we got Frontier after Verizon packed up. Truthfully things been better in the long run. Up here the service is just groovy. Hasn't been down for over a year and a half. Even then some dummy took out a pole up town. Frontier had the service back before the electric company. We have congestion issues when the kids on-line after school so I do my dirty work in the day time or middle of the nite. (download a lot of Linux) You next challenge is are you getting the speed you ordered. If not don't bother with the Tech line. Get your road boss to come out and have you provisioned to your full speed. They can do it, you can't on the phone. Just saying in case. Frontier does great if the infastructure (sp) is up to snuff. They have been updating here and it just keeps getting better. Good luck.
Just Me and My Acer. And a bag of chips.

Re: Frontier

Thanks, that's what I'm hoping.

If I'm lucky they'll have the inside wiring fixed tomorrow and I'll be good to go. The tech told me on Wednesday he had a DSL signal at the NID, so the problem has to be between there and the jack. What are the chances two modems are bad?

I work in Columbus and they have been doing a ton of work between Portsmouth and Circleville, you see them out all the time, so I assume they're doing upgrades. Verizon had a horrible infrastructure here.

I know how the first portion of my review comes across, but I am genuinely grateful for the work they've been doing and that someone somewhere has been trying to figure out what's blocking my signal and resolved that issue. Now if they can just figure out what's wrong between the NID and the jack I should be fine. According to the Technical Supervisor and General Manager for my area I should have service, it has to be the inside wiring now.

Review by timkedojeh See Profile

• Location: Olney,Richland,IL
Good "Decent speeds, if you can get them"
Bad "Extreme congestion and terrible reps"
Overall "If Frontier's your only choice, move."

We've had Frontier service since the lines were Verizon. Back then, things were good; out in the middle of nowhere, you can't expect much. The moment Frontier took over, things starting going downhill. First came the congestion as they added more customers to already-saturated areas, then the price hikes.

The beginning of the end was three days ago. We scheduled to have our home phone disconnected (since everyone has a cell phone). Since the phone was turned off, our speeds have been atrocious. I finally decided to check the transceiver statistics and, huh, our previously provisioned 3Mbps line was now reading 1.5Mbps (1792). Plenty of margin to spare, so it obviously wasn't a line issue.

I called support and asked them what was up. They tried to convince me that the most I could've ever been provisioned for was 1.5, I never had 3, and that the entire area was restricted to 1.5. (Huh, so what was with those sales you guys did as soon as you took over, advertising 7.1? And you provided people with 7.1, I was in people's houses who have 7.1.)

It's obvious that Frontier is over-saturated to the point where new customers are being held back to the bare minimums to maintain network quality for everyone else. It's a slap in the face that they're doing it to established customers as well when we change services. The fact that the rep had the balls to lie to me was the last straw.

In the morning, I'm calling NewWave, I'm getting a RG6 cable buried down the 400ft driveway, and I'm saying goodbye and good riddance to Frontier forever. Never again!

Comments:
Makasinsoul

join:2014-05-19

You ain't joking

I 100 percent agree, if you can only get frontier run as far away as you can. This is a cash grab company. That preys on area that have no competition. When wireless goes unlimited they will just go bankrupt and go out of business.

Review by IfThenElse See Profile

• Location: South Vienna,Clark,OH
Bad "low speed, high lag, high price"
Overall "only option"

02/2014 Downgraded to dry loop. Two customer service reps and one tech assured me porting the home phone number to a cell phone would work without losing internet. They lied. Once the phone number port went through, it took over a week to get service going again. It took them three days just to figure out what had happened, and it required a new account. Price is now a flat $40, no fees, still 3meg, still same crappy drops to about 200k in evenings. Every time I call in they say the area is marked as overloaded and that upgrades are "coming soon", but after two years I don't think they know what "soon" means.

04/2013 Getting better, but still rough. Most of the disconnect/no connect issues went away as they switched off of the Verizon leftovers. Upgraded to 3/768 summer 2011. The CO is maxed out on lines, and definitely has problems at peak hours. I can expect to get 3 meg from about 1 AM to 6 PM, but drop to effectively dial up in the evenings. This even affects games, as I still have significant lag regardless of the bandwidth needed. This could be due to the upstream compression. I have also seen the internet just stop, no activity at all, for between 3 and 10 seconds when it is particularly busy. Changed modems from the 327 to the 7500 and just got a 7550. Each had slightly better connection numbers, but no real change in the overall experience. Tech support is decent, still have to go through basic checklist each call. Every time they send a tech out, it shows my line capable of 7 meg or more. They did mix stuff up and add the inside wire maintenance plan to my account. It showed in February, back dated to January. Wasn't too hard to correct, also got some credits for the service troubles.

04/2011

This is an account that was sold by Verizon. Verizon service wasn't great, this was basically the same, but is now slowly degrading. Rural DSL, only option is 768/128, usually get 80%, not counting lag, pauses (~10secs) and disconnects (as much as every 5 minutes). Not even sure what options I have because, 9 months after acquisition, most of the website still has Verizon branding and links that do not work. Only part of Frontier (well, ncnetwork, whatever that is) website that typically works is paying the bill, go figure.

Comments:

Review by Action2 See Profile

• Location: Newman,Douglas,IL
Good "Low Latency"
Bad "Low bandwidth and packetloss during peak times."
Overall "Works well during non peak hours"

Update 4-28-2014

Over a year later congestion is still a problem. Over the last 6 months packet loss has started to become an issue as well. From 4PM-10PM the service is barely usable with speeds reaching 1Mb/s and packet loss getting as high as 10-20%. At this point websites have trouble loading and any real time usage of the internet is impossible.

While severe congestion has been recognized by Frontier as an issue, there is no timetable on fixing the problem.

--------------------------------
Update 4-03-2013:

It seems Frontier still can not get a handle on the congestion issues. They have become more severe since the last review. Speeds are generally below 3Mb after 5PM and the low speeds occasionally stay down in the basement until well after midnight.

With the window for low speeds widening instead of closing, their service is becoming less valuable for the price they are asking.
Update 9-26-2012:

Another short update, the new bonded DSL plan is now available and I have upgraded to 12Mb Bonded DSL. The speeds are definitely improved. With this new plan, a new modem/router combo was issued, leaving me with a Comtrend nexuslink 5631.

Congestion is still apparent, I have had severe drops in bandwidth during prime time over the last couple of weeks. Speeds are generally 10-11Mb/s until the 8PM-1AM time frame.

Value for money is a little better in my opinion, with the 2Mb upload being particularly nice.

Bottom line: Once congestion is cleared up, this bonded DSL will be a solid service.

Update 8-15-2012:

Quick update to this review, it appears upgrades have taken place and I can now order 7.1Mb DSL.

I have switched to their new dry loop plan that was recently made available for a similar price but faster speed.

Congestion is still a minor issue at times with speeds dipping during peak hours slightly, however latency usually remains low and bandwidth generally remains above 5Mb.

With the faster speed, the service is becoming more worth the price compared to speeds I had before.

Update 4-9-2012:

Since I wrote this review, the congestion has been mostly cleared up. There are still times of congestion on the network near Chicago, but over all latency and peak time bandwidth has improved.

The most problematic issue with the service at this point is value for money. Despite being on ADSL2+, and very close to the CO I am limited to a 3Mb connection downstream, and 768k upload. I am on the Frontier Max plan and I am currently being charged $57 per month for dry loop DSL line, ($50 + $7 modem fee) which is a very poor speed to cost ratio.

Hopefully greater speeds will be available soon, as current speeds are low even for DSL standards.
Summary: $57 a month for 3Mb DSL with congestion still being an occasional problem during peak times. Expensive and slow overall speeds compared to modern high speed internet.

---------------------------------
Original review:

I have had the 3Mbit/s Frontier DSL for the past few months, starting probably in late October of 2010 when it first became available in my area. The service started out great however I started noticing congestion issues from 7pm-midnight every night starting in early november.

Now on average the speeds are about 1Mbit/s with latency of over 200ms every evening. Calling Frontier customer service is not always as helpful as it should,
During non peak hours the latency is usually under 50ms for nearby locations with speeds greatly varying up to the max 3Mbit/s limit of course. I have recently been debating if I should consider going back to the local Wireless ISP in the area as I feel Frontier doesn't have the strength needed to overcome their issues in a reasonable amount of time.

Comments:

Esperanza

@comcast.net

Refund

Frontier service was canceled on February 7, 2012. All equipment was returned and today April I made my third call about the $129,84 Frontier owes me They claim I should receive it in 2 to 3 weeks. Unacceptable!!!!!!!!!!! Never again will I deal with this company,

Review by andy See Profile

• Location: West Edmeston,Madison,NY
Good "Tech people are friendly"
Bad "The internet service"
Overall "Don't buy unless you have to"

We live in a rural area and, yeah, I know, MOVE TO A CITY. We have to have frontier. And we pay top dollar. FOR .9 mbps down on weekends and 3 on weekdays. We don't like them

Comments:

Review by mike8675309 See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Dakota,MN
Good "Tends to be reliable if not low performance for the cost."
Bad "Expensive for the speeds available. When there are problems, not very helpful"
Overall "Cable internet likely a better value if you can get it."

·Charter
I have Frontier's High Speed Inet 6M/384K service and for 99% of the time I don't even fret about it. Sure, I'm not thrilled about the terrible upload speed, nor the changeable download speeds. But overall, I tended to prefer Frontier since my experience with customer service has usually been very good, and my cable experience really bad.

Outages are rare, but I recently had an outage that causes me to now look at alternatives to Frontier. The service went down, out of the blue at 4:30pm. Over the next 4 hours I spoke to 3 different people at Frontier. The first basically said yes, it looks like an issue. Don't worry I'll escalate it and someone should be taking a look at the problem soon. After that I spoke to some neighbors with DSL. Yep, theirs is down too. 3.5 hours later I call to see whats up. This guy tells me someone will be out at 5pm tomorrow to look at the problem. O.k.. so now starts a long conversation, more trouble shooting, and eventually talking to a supervisor that basically says to me, regardless of what you pay for the service, we're not going to do anything about it until tomorrow.

I can get that kind of poor service from the cable company and at a lower cost. Maybe it's time for me to cut telephone all together, use my cell phone, and get cable for internet.

Update on 3/20/2014. I moved 2 years ago and in the transaction with Frontier I got stuck with no phone service and having to change phone numbers even though before the move I was given no notification of that need. Thus I could wait 3 days to get my phone service at the new home, or the cable company could get me phone service in 2 hours. I picked the cable company. No longer with Frontier and don't even get telphone from the cable company anymore. I use cable internet and voip for telephone.

Comments:

Review by ncted See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Fast, connection for a reasonable price. No caps. Netflix open connect CDN. CSRs and techs are very nice and friendly."
Bad "Installation happened a day late even though I purposely gave them plenty of lead time. 2 long outages in a week."
Overall "Nice folks, intermittent service."

I was on TWC Turbo (20/2), and I was unhappy with Netflix streaming performance and first byte time on websites and the recent price increases. Despite speedtest.net ping times of >20ms, it was laggy. I read that Frontier had joined the Netflix Open connect CDN: »signup.netflix.com/openconnect, and the price and speeds offered were good, so I decided to give it a try. I ordered Simply Broadband Max (24/2) for $55/month, no contract, free installation, and 2 year price guarantee.

Installation was a annoying because they didn't show up in the window they specified, and didn't call to tell me they weren't going to be able to make the appointment. I got a call over an hour later letting me know they would try again the next day. When I called to find out why, I was told they were busy fixing service for many people affected by adverse weather. While that may be true, they clearly knew they would not make my appointment well ahead of time, and they could have let me know sooner.

I received an ActionTec FV2200 modem. It has a full set of router features. I disabled wireless, and may try to put it into bridge mode, if I can determine how to make my Airport Extreme work with PPOE on a channel bonded connection.

Speedtest.net ping times are about 10ms longer than TWC, but first byte times are actually about 1/2 second lower than I observed with TWC. Netflix hasn't re-buffered yet, and it seems solidly at the highest PQ so far. I did experience an Internet outage (but not DSL, so must have been a backhaul issue) the first night I had the new service from about 12:30-2:00 AM, but TWC was down at the same time, so I would've been impacted either way. Since then, it has been rock solid. Hopefully that continues.

At the end of the day, I am happy I switched, and I hope this will be a reliable service for a long time to come.

UPDATE 3/5/2014:

I am posting this from my TWC connection I hadn't cancelled yet. Frontier has been down for hours and Tech Support has no idea why. This is the second time in a week. Not happy at the moment.

UPDATE 3/6/2014:

Due to connection reliability issues, I have cancelled my service. The CSR was extremely nice about it, and offered to lower my bill to make up for the inconvenience of the outage. If I didn't need this for work, I might consider it.

member for 3.9 years, 540 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Lyle jeffrey

@50.36.70.x

extremely dissatfied

I am writing this to let everyone know just how we have been treated with this company! my wife was called over a year ago with a offer to bundle our services so we could save about $30.00 a month . she agreed and they bundled our service lo and behold our monthly bill did not go down but went up by over $30.00. after numerous calls to frontier (getting some one different each time) we got nothing but a run around. At this point we ask to cancel our services and was told there would be a large charge to do so. mind you we have been with this company for ever. this was a year ago just this week my wife called to cancel our service and they say the contract was renewed in October. we had no idea how this was done they now say there is a $100.00 for early cancellation fee. this company is like a bad omen once your in you cant get out with out paying threw to nose. so be ware people you should think twice before doing business with these rip offs. we are on a fixed income so every little bit helps!