Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by afriedma See Profile

• Location: Snohomish,Snohomish,WA
Bad "Very slow speeds, uneven service, poor customer service"
Overall "If there was any other choice, I would take it immediately"

Verizon sold their Washington State phone service to Frontier. Prior to that point I would have stated that it would be hard for me to believe that there could be a worse DSL provider than Verizon; I now stand corrected! We have experienced complete outages for over a week at a time, and DSL speeds vary wildly each day and over long periods of time. For the last several weeks, upload and download speeds have rarely surpassed 350 kbps. At times, speeds have dropped to below 150 kbps. We are 'provisioned' for 1500 kbps download and 750 kbps upload, but those speeds have rarely ever been achieved.

Customer service is also atrocious. Very long on-hold waiting times to get Tech Service, only to finally get a completely unhelpful 'tech' ("restart your modem and computer"). Trying chat or email is no better. For months, they were unwilling to acknowledge that there was even a regional problem, even though all my neighbors have the same issues. Now, they just tell me that they are 'upgrading' their service, and that is the cause of the problems. When asked when the 'upgrade' will be finished, they are unwilling to give even a range of dates.

If I had another option, I would take it in a second, but there does not appear to be one.

Comments:

Review by bluecord See Profile

• Location: Canton,Bradford,PA
Good "it is somewhat broadband "
Bad "upload does meet broadband specs. I used to pay the same price for 25/5 5 years ago from Verizon "
Overall "it's my only choice but wouldn't have been my first choice."

while they charge a lot for low speeds my choices are limited. And they really are not that bad but i would switch in a heartbeat if another isp rolled in. they have an extremely reliable connection. But my views on the service is tainted from when I first got them. they do slow my connection speed down from time to time especially when I leave for work. for what ever reason my provisioned speed drops when not in use.

Comments:

Review by LMI See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Quick installation"
Bad "The worst performance and the worst service I ever experienced anywhere"
Overall "If you have another option, don't get frontier."

Unfortunately there is no other provider here. I subscribe to 7Mbps. During the week during day hours my download speed varies between 3 Mpbs and 1Mbps. It disconnects every few hours and I need to reboot my modem. Evenings and during the weekend speeds drop to 100 Kbps and I even measured 14 Kbps at times. Modem needs rebooting to re-establish the connection every 5 - 10 minutes.

I've been calling their tech support for well over a year and always hear the same thing: "we know there is a problem with our infrastructure in that area and we are planning on upgrading it in a month or so". It's over a year later and I still hear "we are planning to upgrade it. Sorry for any inconvenience ".

At some point I also had a problem with my line. Technician was scheduled for a specific date (no time, just the entire day). At 5 pm that day, after waiting the entire day for someone to come, I got a recorded call notifying me that "due to unforeseen circumstance the technician won't be able to come that day and will come the following day". Again, no time given.

Service performance is worse over 50% of the time than old, old dial-up modems (it's worse than 300 Kbps). And they know about it and are not doing anything to change it. (BTW., I finally complained to FCC. Let's see if that will help.)

Comments:

Review by FTReport See Profile

• Location: Metamora,Lapeer,MI
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (12 month contract)
Good "I can load google and Reddit OK."
Bad "Service cuts out randomly, horrible sub advertised speed"
Overall "This ISP. Is simply. The WORST."

Two years ago I moved to my current residence, I came to this city after living in El Paso, Texas. In El Paso I was subject to Time Warner's service, while it was not stellar by ANY means, I paid $45 a month for Cable Internet that was advertised at 25mbs Down/ 10mbs Up but averaged around 8mbs Down/2 Mbs Up.

After having to deal with the typical American Service Provider BS where they throttle you back to a crawl until you call in and complain enough to have a tech come out and "magically fix your speed" for the next few weeks, I was pretty jaded about ISPs.

Then I got to where I live now, and the internet monopoly here is run by Frontier Communications. The only package they offered was DSL Internet, which costs roughly $45 a month for 5mbs Down / 2mbs Up, but realistically it averages around 1mbs Down / 6-800kbs Up. But that's not all you pay for this "quality" service, you also of course have to get a phone line because it is DSL, which costs you another $30+ per month, so in the end just to have a horrible crap service I end up paying nearly $100 for crap.

But that's just where it gets started:

When I first moved here and was having these speed issues I got frustrated with the speeds and complained to their Tech Support, and what did they say? "We actually just started a new turbo service in your area which will increase your speeds to 10mbs!" After the incredibly slow speeds I was suffering (I use my computer for work, my kids stream their shows to the xbox, and sometimes I play games online during my off time, all of which were impossible to do with these speeds and performance) So of COURSE I took the Turbo speed, it was only $14 more a month after all!

Did that fix my speeds? Heck yes! It seemed much faster (than what it was) and admittedly I was able to stream my kids shows AND do what I wanted on my computer now, sometimes it was still slow but atleast it seemed to work. Until one day I was having a heated game on some First Person Shooter game I don't recall anymore, but my friends on TeamSpeak (voice communication program) told me to check my speeds on speedtest.net (I have used this before but never bothered after getting turbo)

Come to find out my speeds were coming back around 2mbs Down / 800kbs Up. There are no words for the rage I was in. After cycling my router/modem multiple times and the speeds never improving, I called Tech Support.....

The CS Rep's answer was "Oh I'm sorry, we actually don't offer those speeds in your area, the fastest speeds we can guarantee are 2mbs Down and 1mbs up."

So basically at that point I had been paying over $100 a month for 2mbs Down / 1mbs Up (When I got even that).

Over the years if you can believe it, the service and quality has gone DOWN. My speeds have gotten worse and worse. I have had technicians out to the house MANY times, they plug their tool into the wall, make some calls to "the office" and then show me a speedtest of my advertised Up and Down, then it works great for a bit, and then crashes out into a flop again.

It disgusts me that after over TWO YEARS these people have done NOTHING to upgrade their network, only add more poor suckers to it and deliver ever decreasing performance.

To give you a comparison, my cell phone speedtest.net scores were 30mbs Down / 10mbs Up.

I will be canceling both my Business account at my storefront and my Residential account (and getting rid of that worthless landline) and getting a hotspot plan for my cell phone. Even my cell having to deal with towers gets more reliable service than my DSL...

Oh yeah that reminds me, my Frontier Internet also stops working randomly every week throughout the days. For no reason at all, my internet will go out, all my devices will disconnect, and then reconnect as normal. I've complained about this for two years, I've gotten responses from "We are doing work on our network" to "Make sure you log in to your Frontier Yahoo email every now and then, sometimes that makes your router work better".

If there is ANY other provider in your area, DEEPLY consider them before you take Frontier. The product offered is HORRIBLE. The problem however is the way America's Internet system is setup, most companies have a monopoly on an area and it comes down to "Take our crap service, or cut the cord and live in the stone age. Don't like our speeds? Ooooh, that's too bad, I'm sorry, geee, I'm so sorry, yeaaaaah."

Comments:

Review by bwb See Profile

• Location: Canandaigua,Ontario,NY
Good "The guys in the trucks are great!"
Bad "They are oversubscribed and the service is useless!"
Overall "Stay away if you have other options!"

I have been using Frontier's DSL for over 10 years between 2 locations. It is my only choice. In 2011 I had some line quality issues and it took over a month to get it fixed. Since 2011 my service has been OK, a solid 2.2 Mbps down and .384Mbps up. I am roughly 16,000' from the CO. About a month ago my service took a nose dive and is now all over the place, .3 - .01 Mbps down. If the speedtest doesn't time out I usually get .384Mbps up. After tech support tried to blame my equipment (I own a computer company), I started calling every upper management phone number I could find. I ended up in daily conversations with the area GM. She says I am in a high demand area which equates to an oversubscribed area. She said they are working on the problem and that it was supposed to be fixed last week, when it wasn't fixed last week she said this week. Talking to her 10 minutes ago, it will be fixed next week. DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT use Frontier if you rely on solid internet service to do your business. I have to go to one of my customer's empty offices for 4 - 6 hours a day to get all my remote work done since I cannot do it in my office.

If you have Frontier as an ISP, call them every single time you have an issue.

Comments:

Blake

@50.33.225.x

a VERY brief summary of my time with Frontier (over 2 years)

But that's just where it gets started:

shoot2kill

@5.79.68.x

Re: a VERY brief summary of my time with Frontier (over 2 years)

I fully agree. I'm trying to play Counter-Strike right now and kill people online, but it's now impossible. It's like I'm time traveling back in time and I'm on dialup connection speed again, from where I was a decade ago. I have murder on the mind and I need to kill people. I don't want to kill people for real. This is my only escape and now I don't have any.

Frontier might turn me into a mass murderer. I plan to sue.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3652 ··· 52101449

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3652 ··· 52103410

I live less than a mile away from a friend/neighbor house who is only getting .80Mpbs while i'm getting real broadband speeds.

yungcin

@50.36.76.x

Frontier's "high speed" internet service.

We have been fighting frontier for a couple of years now also. The service is possibly slower than dial-up and not getting any better any time soon. We also have the newest modem model and still move at a snail's pace. I reached a point finally where I told them I won't pay for a service I can't use and my bill last month was $.64. Then they tell me to monitor my internet and tell them the days it works. Wait a minute if I have to monitor my internet on a daily basis shouldn't I also get a pay check for doing their job, maybe I can send them a bill for my time since they obviously don't feel I have anything better to do. When you have a household with high school and college students as well as a disabled veteran that is trying to reenter the work force the internet is kind of essential. I'm not sure what our speed is supposed to be and can't ping test it because it times out literally every time we run the test.If you are not a Frontier subscriber right now think long and hard, and eliminate ALL other options before you sign up with them. You will regret it in the end. We are trying to find another provider now but can't seem to get anyone out where we live. Regardless DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT use Frontier if you can avoid it.

Review by asdfasd2 See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Platte,NE
Good "Not owned by recording industry. I've never had a C&D."
Bad "Unstable, speeds not as advertised, poor tech support, VERY slow for what you pay"
Overall "Don't use them unless they're the only ISP in town."

For the first few years of being with this company (since around 2003), I was miserable. Something in their box out in our yard was messed up, it was making our connection essentially unusable for MMO gaming and completely down altogether when it rained. They kept sending techs out, they started threatening to charge us for the tech trips, they kept not fixing the problem. Some of their attempts at "fixing" it resulted in our speed dropping to half for no apparent reason and it took years to get them to revert THAT change (same old distance excuse, despite the fact it was 2x faster before they started messing with it to "fix" things). EVENTUALLY, they finally replaced whatever was buggered up in the box and apologized.

The net itself, when "working correctly", is unstable, especially in the evenings, because they need a serious hardware upgrade to get with modern times. There are times when pages won't load or game latency spikes up to 2000ms.

I still have random short periods of no connection at all, though fairly rare now - 1-3 times a month.

That aside, their prices for slow internet are absurd. If your internet is slow, they will blame you or the distance, even if it's their problem.

Also worthy of note:

This is one of the companies that tried to implement a 5gb cap on slow $50/mo 3mbit connection with a steep charge per gb. Bandwidth doesn't cost nearly that much! And it's so slow compared to modern internet!

I'm not exaggerating, unfortunately. I've put up with this company because the only other ISP here is Time Warner - it's way faster but it's owned by the recording industry and too far to service me anyways.

Update Jul 16 2014:

These scumbuckets disabled my account for no reason and support had no idea why. When it was reinstated the next day, the speed was less than 1/3rd what it was before. We have had many problems with them lowering our speed, but disabling our account and having no idea why is hilariously bad. I wish Columbus, NE isps weren't running a racket. Our internet speeds are 10 years outdated and there is only 2 isps in town, one of which is too far for service.

Update: 21st Tech came out and fixed it in about a second. said the office ordered it, they wanted people to upgrade even though they always say there is only one speed. If this is how they try to retain and get more money out of customers they're going to be disappointed when they see opposite results. We spent hours trying to call them and get it out of them, when all it took was a tech and a couple seconds @ the box outside.

Comments:

New costumer

@50.47.30.x

Poor service

Very very very poor costumer service! And no this isn't a spam! It an actual costumer!;(

AnotherCust

@74.39.57.x

Just plain bad.

This is the second time I've had Frontier. The first time I had their 1Mb plan and got 120kbps on a very rare day. I switched to Time Warner and was extremely happy until they jacked up their prices. I switched back to Frontier about three months ago and it has been horrible!

I'm on their 6Mb plan and get about 100-300kbps (should get around 750kbps). Took them four weeks - yes, four weeks - to set me up with service. For the first week of service I was achieving a maximum of 30kbps, average of 5kbps. Took them another two or three weeks to come fix it, blaming it on one thing after another.

I can only hope somebody of influence at Frontier reads this, as their customer service department is less than helpful.

I will not be going back.

Review by muffy1986 See Profile

• Location: Bruceton Mills,Preston,WV
Good "nothing"
Bad "everything"
Overall "avoid at all costs"

I ordered the basic DSL package with speeds up to 7 MBPS. That "up to" is a bad bad thing, because the highest I have ever received was 3.x mbps, and that was prior to the Verizon buyout. When the internet is functioning, which isn't all that often, it's usually at 1 mbps or lower. Recently, throughout the day, the connection is down to 0.05 mbps, when we're lucky enough to have service. The service is down more than it's up, and they appear to be throttling many sites, like YouTube, Netflix, and Facebook. Unfortunately, this is the only company that will provide non-dialup internet service in this area due to the crazy oligopolies that exist, so I can't really get any other service.

The initial setup was surprisingly easy. I used to have Frontier service at my house and still had a router from them from my previous venture with them, so we were able to use that to have me online within about 6 hours of calling to have service set up. Service was wonderful for the first week, plugging along at speeds that honestly surprised me. It was only about 3.5 mbps, which was only half of their advertised 7 mbps, but with the "up to" they had thrown in the advertising, I wasn't going to complain. The only complaint I have about setup is that their website said that we could get business-class internet, but when we called to have it set up, we were told we could not. This wouldn't be an issue, except I do business that requires me to have a static IP. I've thankfully found ways around this for now, but we'll see how long that lasts.

Speeds were fairly consistent that first week, then service started to become patchy, and, at times, non-existant. We'd call customer service, they'd have us go through the process of resetting the router, running speed tests, etc., to no avail. Got really frustrating when we told them up front it was a neighborhood-wide outage. We'd even have a couple of the neighbors on the line for conference calls all saying here's the account numbers, none of us have service, please fix it. They didn't care.

Customer service phone calls to Frontier are dreaded at my house because the reps are almost always very snotty, disrespectful, not knowledgeable about anything to do with internet (they're obviously following scripts and have no clue how to think outside the box), and unhappy. There have been a few nice, upbeat, knowledgeable people, but they are few and far between. I can't complain about the techs who actually come out to fix line issues and whatnot in person, either. They're always friendly. But I dread calling the call center. Since we only have DSL and not phone service through them, they get uppity when we tell them that we don't know our phone number. Sorry but I'm not paying for extra services when you can't even begin to maintain the only one I have. They treat me like I'm stupid for not knowing the phone number, but technically, the only phone numbers I have are cell phone numbers, which wouldn't help them at all since they're in no way tied to the DSL account, other than as contact numbers.

In north-central West Virginia, Frontier apparently received a grant to alleviate bottlenecking. That was a couple of months ago, and the service is less reliable now than it was then. We've been told that our internet connection isn't functioning properly due to any number of things: a micro-tear in the fiber that is only affected during cold weather, oops that micro-tear affects the connection all the time, the internet halfways across the state is down due to a known issue (which they won't tell us what said issue is) and is causing issues in your area, the internet halfways across the country is down due to known issues and is causing issues in your area, there's static on your line, etc. They have literally used every excuse in the book instead of admitting that they're the ones at fault.

UPDATE 6/4/2014:

Speeds are getting slower and slower. There are numerous days where I'm getting 80% packet loss for hours at a time, if the internet is even running. Worst part is, if I call to have them send out a tech, they say that they can't put in a new ticket because of a common cause ticket that's been open since the middle of March. Yep, a ticket that's almost 3 months old is STILL open and unresolved.

My workplace put in a new contract to get the new fiber optic option that they are supposedly offering back in February, and they're already paying for it. I'm lucky if I can get a speed of 1 Mbps out of the network as is, and they have no ETA on the upgrade, yet it's already being paid for.

I can't watch Netflix, so I'm about to unsubscribe to that. Youtube videos are impossible to watch. Heck, even loading basic, mostly text webpages is nigh impossible.

I haven't mentioned the fact that I'm an avid online gamer, so I've got two MMORPGs that I'm still paying for subscriptions for just for the couple of hours I MIGHT be able to play in the morning, when I usually sleep since I work midnights. If I could get Frontier to pay me for my subscriptions I can't use, they'd be paying me more than I pay them right now.

Let's not forget the fact that my daughter has online homework that she has to do for school that she rarely can get done. Her school got a grant for an awesome website for kids to learn with, and none of them can utilize it at home because of the subpar internet. The teachers are all livid about this, because that was money they worked hard to get for the school, and now they feel like they've wasted it on something that none of their students can utilize. Let's not forget that I can't even access class letters from the teacher or grades online, like the state requires now. Thank goodness the teachers kind of gave up on that and still send stuff home cause they know how bad our internet is.

Wish that we didn't live in a rather poor area, cause if we didn't, I'm sure that Frontier would have a class-action suit against them over this idiocy.

So sick of this sub-par service, but we have no other choice. Although, I must add, it's pretty sad when my regular data connection (not even 3/4G, think it's considered 1G at best?) on my cell phone provides faster service than this crap they call "high speed" internet.

Ratings updated to include the fact that they're supposedly upgrading the lines, but there only seems to have been a downgrade.

Update 7/8/2014

So internet began randomly dropping a little over a week ago. Called tech support and they tried to give us a runaround about talking to a supervisor. Sorry, we called in three times prior that day with the internet dropping randomly only to be told that there was nothing they could do since it was back up and running when we called. Well, yeah, given that it'd go out for about 5 minutes and then be right back up, till we waited on hold, it was too late. So they promised us that there would be someone out last Thursday (July 3) at the latest. Call was made last Monday (June 30).

Took them a week to get a tech out here when they said it would take three days. Given that they only have two techs and one of them was on vacation in this area, I think that customer service should have been able to have seen the backlog and told us a more accurate date to expect a tech.

So the tech came out, fixed the issue (had a bad module where the line comes in), and things are working better now than they were.

Got info from the tech: the promised upgrade for my area doesn't even have an ETR right now. At least the next closest hub is getting an upgrade to be able to have up to 24 Mbps. Sadly, people off our hub can't get provisioned for higher than between 3 & 4 Mbps (of the 7 we're paying for, mind you) due to a bottleneck at the central office. No surprise there. But we are supposed to be getting an upgrade soon, but who knows how long that "soon" will take.

But as usual, the tech was awesome, as compared to everyone else that I've ever dealt with when I've called. Seems like my local techs are the only ones who care about customers.

member for 1 year, 44 visits, last login: 30 days ago

Comments:
ZSwiftmend

join:2013-05-05
Morgantown, WV

Frontier is bad!!!

I agree! I also live in a rural area outside of Morgantown, and have the same issues and concerns. They have never provided the service they promised, but they have always taken our money. Never once have they reduced my bill because of outages (which happen all the time). In my opinion, they dont care about thier customers. Our local service technicians worked like crazy to make it the best they can, but they cannot fix the infrastructure. Frontier has to provide the resources to upgrade the infrastructure in our areas....which they don't appear to be willing to do. You can find the article on DSLR about WV having to give back a couple million dollars because they did not do what was required to set up their contracts for updating the infrastructure in rural areas. All of it is unacceptable.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

Re: Frontier is bad!!!

Everyones experience is different, depends on where you live. I know of someone now that hates cable and loves DSL much better. I know of someone who loves satellite connection and hates DSL and cable/Fios. So it just depends on where you live and what type of user you are.

Our state made a big mistake on buying all that fibre, indeed but we truely needed it cause some of us were on very expensive connection and in need of change bad but in the end we got better deal with better/reliable connection and some of us didn't improve all that much. If your in a very rural area, chances are your never gonna get good deals or very good connection at all, just crap while most of everyone else using that same service are enjoying it.

said by muffy1986:

the fiber that is only affected during cold weather

There is no doubt with this. The fibre should've been buried to help keep it from getting effected by the cold. I spoke face-to-face with a technician what it was and it indeed was the fibre getting effected, he didn't know how is what he also said.

said by muffy1986:

Recently, throughout the day, the connection is down to 0.05 mbps

How far are you behind a terminal? The main reason why I get good service from mine is because i am just 200 feet behind one and we're the first ones so we get the ultra for that reason.
I hope your reading this papap. You were as kind, sweet and easy going person I ever met.
You no longer have to suffer from all the pain you had when down here on earth.
I love you.

R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise 8/9/45-11/21/13

phoneman1

@50.43.129.x

Re: Frontier is bad!!!

Here the bottom line, frontier has grossly over sold there available band width, they will continually tell you they are upgrading there equipment in your area. this will not happen, I have heard this story for 18 months now, my biggest fear came true just after xmas. all the new xboxes, smart tv, hand held, lap tops, you know xmas gifts ate up what was left of the available band width.. Frontier claims know responsibility..they are not governed by the puco, so they don't give a shit. bottom line your screwed.. fight for rate reductions thats all they'll do..

Michelle101

@50.126.19.x

Internet

Absolutely terrible. Want to watch any type of video? Forget it. A 30 minute show will take up to 2 1/2 hrs to watch. You can't leave it to load and come back because it will be in the exact same. Games are impossible to play.
The phone and internet are constantly blacking out for DAYS at a time. If you get hold of repairs, it is never Frontiers fault. One time they blamed AT&T. Another time it was due to a lightning strike. Even though there had not been a storm for several month prior to the blackout.
Save your money, go else where rather then with Frontier.
benf25

join:2014-06-04
Plymouth, OH

frontier internet

I pay way too much money for 3mbps, it ended up being about $175/month. I would never even consider dealing with frontier again and would strongly advise that anyone who is thinking about getting this type of internet to STRONGLY think again!!!!!
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

You don't have access to Comcast??

You don't have access to Comcast??

»www.comcast.com/locations/intern ··· lls.html
ZSwiftmend

join:2013-05-05
Morgantown, WV

Re: You don't have access to Comcast??

No we do not. We had a cite survey done last month, and it is not available in our area. Comcast is all around us, but not in our little pocket of heaven...LOL

Review by co_elk See Profile

• Location: Effingham,Effingham,IL
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Not much :("
Bad "Real slow.. Very inconsistent speeds"

No competition in area.. They know that and are not improving there network!

Comments:

GERRY

@70.100.151.x

SERVICE

TERRIBLE SERVICE,BUT CONSISTANT......CONSISTANTLY TERRIBLE

stratoman

@166.182.3.x

Re: SERVICE

I hear ya man!!!.....NET went down last Friday night....still don't have it back and it's Tues evening now....told me a Tech will be out when one becomes available.....also told me that they don't prioritize home customers at all....just business ones....so if other service tickets of a higher priority are in the hopper, you are last on the pile and it could be whenever as home accounts just get pushed back.......sounds to me like I will get a Tech out if they have nothing really better to do.....what a great company!.......I wonder if that is the way the owners' HOME account is set up and if he waits till all the business tickets are serviced before they get to his issue? Gives me real confidence in his sincerity when he talks about how "customers are the top priority" & "they will do what ever it takes" to achieve a high level of customer satisfaction on the TV commercials......there is a bright spot however.....NO long term agreement locking me in.......so time to go shopping. Bottom line.....FRONTIER SUCKS REAL BAD at what they do. Best of luck to you. Jp

Review by glhamden See Profile

• Location: Lerona,Mercer,WV
Good "Avoid this company "
Bad "Avoid at all costs"
Overall "Avoid"

This company is only interested in money they do not care if you get what you paid for even with their terrible dsl they are constantly trying to up sell for more junk you do not need or want they will not stand be behind anything they sale you

Also note FCC is slowly becoming aware

Comments:
DeLiver
join:2004-09-01
Cincinnatus, NY

For the record...

"They have over sold their bandwidth in every market they serve and refuse to supply you with the bandwidth you purchased"

That is a complete lie. I am a customer that gets the bandwidth I purchased. Location is everything.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Re: For the record...

said by DeLiver:

No, it's not a complete lie. My DSL service speed under Frontier during the last 2 years has steadily deteriorated between 5pm and 11:30 pm most nights to the point that multiple minutes go by with upload speeds of 0 to 10 kb/sec, and hours go by without upload speeds exceeding 250 kb/sec (as measured every 2 minutes, night after night). The Frontier tech responding to my latest speed complaint last week told me that there are constant complaints about MAJOR speed shortfalls over the entire NE Indiana region that included premium-speed users, and that the problem is actually the gross under-capacity of equipment and the single pipeline serving Frontier DSL in the entire region. Techs have been complaining to Frontier management for several years as customers have increasingly been ventilating to them about this... but management has done absolutely nothing to resolve DSL speed issues. He indicated the company is instead putting its sparce resources into fiber service and expansion, though that expansion is only into densely-packed subdivisions and unavailable to many of us DSL users.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -- A. de Tocqueville

Review by Hank See Profile

• Location: Burlington,Mineral,WV
Good "With exceptions - see below."
Overall "Reliability is mediocure."

I have the DSLMax with a second connect. Telephone service is included on both lines. Modems supplied by Frontier are Westel 7500 and Netgear 7550. These modems are low end consumer grade. Because I live in a very rural area I do not expect any upgrades beyond what is currently available. Although reliability has improved over the last couple years it is still below industry standards. Dealing with the Customer Service Rep's is always a mistake. They do not listen to what the customer is saying. They have the mindset that customers are dumb and have absolutely no understanding of how the system works. Often they say the first dumb thing that pops into their head. Being acquainted with the local management team is a big plus. They will do their best to make sure that problems are addressed. Unfortunately they also must deal with Frontier Corp. management and are often as frustrated as the consumer is.

member for 12.8 years, 6509 visits, last login: a few hours ago