Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by asdfasd2 See Profile

• Location: Columbus,Platte,NE
Good "Not owned by recording industry. I've never had a C&D."
Bad "Unstable, speeds not as advertised, poor tech support, VERY slow for what you pay"
Overall "Don't use them unless they're the only ISP in town."

For the first few years of being with this company (since around 2003), I was miserable. Something in their box out in our yard was messed up, it was making our connection essentially unusable for MMO gaming and completely down altogether when it rained. They kept sending techs out, they started threatening to charge us for the tech trips, they kept not fixing the problem. Some of their attempts at "fixing" it resulted in our speed dropping to half for no apparent reason and it took years to get them to revert THAT change (same old distance excuse, despite the fact it was 2x faster before they started messing with it to "fix" things). EVENTUALLY, they finally replaced whatever was buggered up in the box and apologized.

The net itself, when "working correctly", is unstable, especially in the evenings, because they need a serious hardware upgrade to get with modern times. There are times when pages won't load or game latency spikes up to 2000ms.

I still have random short periods of no connection at all, though fairly rare now - 1-3 times a month.

That aside, their prices for slow internet are absurd. If your internet is slow, they will blame you or the distance, even if it's their problem.

Also worthy of note:

This is one of the companies that tried to implement a 5gb cap on slow $50/mo 3mbit connection with a steep charge per gb. Bandwidth doesn't cost nearly that much! And it's so slow compared to modern internet!

I'm not exaggerating, unfortunately. I've put up with this company because the only other ISP here is Time Warner - it's way faster but it's owned by the recording industry and too far to service me anyways.

Update Jul 16 2014:

These scumbuckets disabled my account for no reason and support had no idea why. When it was reinstated the next day, the speed was less than 1/3rd what it was before. We have had many problems with them lowering our speed, but disabling our account and having no idea why is hilariously bad. I wish Columbus, NE isps weren't running a racket. Our internet speeds are 10 years outdated and there is only 2 isps in town, one of which is too far for service.

Update: 21st Tech came out and fixed it in about a second. said the office ordered it, they wanted people to upgrade even though they always say there is only one speed. If this is how they try to retain and get more money out of customers they're going to be disappointed when they see opposite results. We spent hours trying to call them and get it out of them, when all it took was a tech and a couple seconds @ the box outside.

Comments:

New costumer

@50.47.30.x

Poor service

Very very very poor costumer service! And no this isn't a spam! It an actual costumer!;(

AnotherCust

@74.39.57.x

Just plain bad.

This is the second time I've had Frontier. The first time I had their 1Mb plan and got 120kbps on a very rare day. I switched to Time Warner and was extremely happy until they jacked up their prices. I switched back to Frontier about three months ago and it has been horrible!

I'm on their 6Mb plan and get about 100-300kbps (should get around 750kbps). Took them four weeks - yes, four weeks - to set me up with service. For the first week of service I was achieving a maximum of 30kbps, average of 5kbps. Took them another two or three weeks to come fix it, blaming it on one thing after another.

I can only hope somebody of influence at Frontier reads this, as their customer service department is less than helpful.

I will not be going back.

Review by muffy1986 See Profile

• Location: Bruceton Mills,Preston,WV
Good "nothing"
Bad "everything"
Overall "avoid at all costs"

I ordered the basic DSL package with speeds up to 7 MBPS. That "up to" is a bad bad thing, because the highest I have ever received was 3.x mbps, and that was prior to the Verizon buyout. When the internet is functioning, which isn't all that often, it's usually at 1 mbps or lower. Recently, throughout the day, the connection is down to 0.05 mbps, when we're lucky enough to have service. The service is down more than it's up, and they appear to be throttling many sites, like YouTube, Netflix, and Facebook. Unfortunately, this is the only company that will provide non-dialup internet service in this area due to the crazy oligopolies that exist, so I can't really get any other service.

The initial setup was surprisingly easy. I used to have Frontier service at my house and still had a router from them from my previous venture with them, so we were able to use that to have me online within about 6 hours of calling to have service set up. Service was wonderful for the first week, plugging along at speeds that honestly surprised me. It was only about 3.5 mbps, which was only half of their advertised 7 mbps, but with the "up to" they had thrown in the advertising, I wasn't going to complain. The only complaint I have about setup is that their website said that we could get business-class internet, but when we called to have it set up, we were told we could not. This wouldn't be an issue, except I do business that requires me to have a static IP. I've thankfully found ways around this for now, but we'll see how long that lasts.

Speeds were fairly consistent that first week, then service started to become patchy, and, at times, non-existant. We'd call customer service, they'd have us go through the process of resetting the router, running speed tests, etc., to no avail. Got really frustrating when we told them up front it was a neighborhood-wide outage. We'd even have a couple of the neighbors on the line for conference calls all saying here's the account numbers, none of us have service, please fix it. They didn't care.

Customer service phone calls to Frontier are dreaded at my house because the reps are almost always very snotty, disrespectful, not knowledgeable about anything to do with internet (they're obviously following scripts and have no clue how to think outside the box), and unhappy. There have been a few nice, upbeat, knowledgeable people, but they are few and far between. I can't complain about the techs who actually come out to fix line issues and whatnot in person, either. They're always friendly. But I dread calling the call center. Since we only have DSL and not phone service through them, they get uppity when we tell them that we don't know our phone number. Sorry but I'm not paying for extra services when you can't even begin to maintain the only one I have. They treat me like I'm stupid for not knowing the phone number, but technically, the only phone numbers I have are cell phone numbers, which wouldn't help them at all since they're in no way tied to the DSL account, other than as contact numbers.

In north-central West Virginia, Frontier apparently received a grant to alleviate bottlenecking. That was a couple of months ago, and the service is less reliable now than it was then. We've been told that our internet connection isn't functioning properly due to any number of things: a micro-tear in the fiber that is only affected during cold weather, oops that micro-tear affects the connection all the time, the internet halfways across the state is down due to a known issue (which they won't tell us what said issue is) and is causing issues in your area, the internet halfways across the country is down due to known issues and is causing issues in your area, there's static on your line, etc. They have literally used every excuse in the book instead of admitting that they're the ones at fault.

UPDATE 6/4/2014:

Speeds are getting slower and slower. There are numerous days where I'm getting 80% packet loss for hours at a time, if the internet is even running. Worst part is, if I call to have them send out a tech, they say that they can't put in a new ticket because of a common cause ticket that's been open since the middle of March. Yep, a ticket that's almost 3 months old is STILL open and unresolved.

My workplace put in a new contract to get the new fiber optic option that they are supposedly offering back in February, and they're already paying for it. I'm lucky if I can get a speed of 1 Mbps out of the network as is, and they have no ETA on the upgrade, yet it's already being paid for.

I can't watch Netflix, so I'm about to unsubscribe to that. Youtube videos are impossible to watch. Heck, even loading basic, mostly text webpages is nigh impossible.

I haven't mentioned the fact that I'm an avid online gamer, so I've got two MMORPGs that I'm still paying for subscriptions for just for the couple of hours I MIGHT be able to play in the morning, when I usually sleep since I work midnights. If I could get Frontier to pay me for my subscriptions I can't use, they'd be paying me more than I pay them right now.

Let's not forget the fact that my daughter has online homework that she has to do for school that she rarely can get done. Her school got a grant for an awesome website for kids to learn with, and none of them can utilize it at home because of the subpar internet. The teachers are all livid about this, because that was money they worked hard to get for the school, and now they feel like they've wasted it on something that none of their students can utilize. Let's not forget that I can't even access class letters from the teacher or grades online, like the state requires now. Thank goodness the teachers kind of gave up on that and still send stuff home cause they know how bad our internet is.

Wish that we didn't live in a rather poor area, cause if we didn't, I'm sure that Frontier would have a class-action suit against them over this idiocy.

So sick of this sub-par service, but we have no other choice. Although, I must add, it's pretty sad when my regular data connection (not even 3/4G, think it's considered 1G at best?) on my cell phone provides faster service than this crap they call "high speed" internet.

Ratings updated to include the fact that they're supposedly upgrading the lines, but there only seems to have been a downgrade.

Update 7/8/2014

So internet began randomly dropping a little over a week ago. Called tech support and they tried to give us a runaround about talking to a supervisor. Sorry, we called in three times prior that day with the internet dropping randomly only to be told that there was nothing they could do since it was back up and running when we called. Well, yeah, given that it'd go out for about 5 minutes and then be right back up, till we waited on hold, it was too late. So they promised us that there would be someone out last Thursday (July 3) at the latest. Call was made last Monday (June 30).

Took them a week to get a tech out here when they said it would take three days. Given that they only have two techs and one of them was on vacation in this area, I think that customer service should have been able to have seen the backlog and told us a more accurate date to expect a tech.

So the tech came out, fixed the issue (had a bad module where the line comes in), and things are working better now than they were.

Got info from the tech: the promised upgrade for my area doesn't even have an ETR right now. At least the next closest hub is getting an upgrade to be able to have up to 24 Mbps. Sadly, people off our hub can't get provisioned for higher than between 3 & 4 Mbps (of the 7 we're paying for, mind you) due to a bottleneck at the central office. No surprise there. But we are supposed to be getting an upgrade soon, but who knows how long that "soon" will take.

But as usual, the tech was awesome, as compared to everyone else that I've ever dealt with when I've called. Seems like my local techs are the only ones who care about customers.

Comments:
ZSwiftmend

join:2013-05-05
Morgantown, WV

Frontier is bad!!!

I agree! I also live in a rural area outside of Morgantown, and have the same issues and concerns. They have never provided the service they promised, but they have always taken our money. Never once have they reduced my bill because of outages (which happen all the time). In my opinion, they dont care about thier customers. Our local service technicians worked like crazy to make it the best they can, but they cannot fix the infrastructure. Frontier has to provide the resources to upgrade the infrastructure in our areas....which they don't appear to be willing to do. You can find the article on DSLR about WV having to give back a couple million dollars because they did not do what was required to set up their contracts for updating the infrastructure in rural areas. All of it is unacceptable.

diablo1892
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
·HughesNet Satell..

Re: Frontier is bad!!!

Everyones experience is different, depends on where you live. I know of someone now that hates cable and loves DSL much better. I know of someone who loves satellite connection and hates DSL and cable/Fios. So it just depends on where you live and what type of user you are.

Our state made a big mistake on buying all that fibre, indeed but we truely needed it cause some of us were on very expensive connection and in need of change bad but in the end we got better deal with better/reliable connection and some of us didn't improve all that much. If your in a very rural area, chances are your never gonna get good deals or very good connection at all, just crap while most of everyone else using that same service are enjoying it.

said by muffy1986:

the fiber that is only affected during cold weather

There is no doubt with this. The fibre should've been buried to help keep it from getting effected by the cold. I spoke face-to-face with a technician what it was and it indeed was the fibre getting effected, he didn't know how is what he also said.

said by muffy1986:

Recently, throughout the day, the connection is down to 0.05 mbps

How far are you behind a terminal? The main reason why I get good service from mine is because i am just 200 feet behind one and we're the first ones so we get the ultra for that reason.
I hope your reading this papap. You were as kind, sweet and easy going person I ever met.
You no longer have to suffer from all the pain you had when down here on earth.
I love you.

R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise 8/9/45-11/21/13

phoneman1

@50.43.129.x

Re: Frontier is bad!!!

Here the bottom line, frontier has grossly over sold there available band width, they will continually tell you they are upgrading there equipment in your area. this will not happen, I have heard this story for 18 months now, my biggest fear came true just after xmas. all the new xboxes, smart tv, hand held, lap tops, you know xmas gifts ate up what was left of the available band width.. Frontier claims know responsibility..they are not governed by the puco, so they don't give a shit. bottom line your screwed.. fight for rate reductions thats all they'll do..

Michelle101

@50.126.19.x

Internet

Absolutely terrible. Want to watch any type of video? Forget it. A 30 minute show will take up to 2 1/2 hrs to watch. You can't leave it to load and come back because it will be in the exact same. Games are impossible to play.
The phone and internet are constantly blacking out for DAYS at a time. If you get hold of repairs, it is never Frontiers fault. One time they blamed AT&T. Another time it was due to a lightning strike. Even though there had not been a storm for several month prior to the blackout.
Save your money, go else where rather then with Frontier.
benf25

join:2014-06-04
Plymouth, OH

frontier internet

I pay way too much money for 3mbps, it ended up being about $175/month. I would never even consider dealing with frontier again and would strongly advise that anyone who is thinking about getting this type of internet to STRONGLY think again!!!!!
sparky007

join:2011-08-25
Avondale, AZ

You don't have access to Comcast??

You don't have access to Comcast??

»www.comcast.com/locations/intern···lls.html
ZSwiftmend

join:2013-05-05
Morgantown, WV

Re: You don't have access to Comcast??

No we do not. We had a cite survey done last month, and it is not available in our area. Comcast is all around us, but not in our little pocket of heaven...LOL

Review by co_elk See Profile

• Location: Effingham,Effingham,IL
  • Telco party Verizon (ex GTE)
Good "Not much :("
Bad "Real slow.. Very inconsistent speeds"

No competition in area.. They know that and are not improving there network!

Comments:

GERRY

@70.100.151.x

SERVICE

TERRIBLE SERVICE,BUT CONSISTANT......CONSISTANTLY TERRIBLE

stratoman

@166.182.3.x

Re: SERVICE

I hear ya man!!!.....NET went down last Friday night....still don't have it back and it's Tues evening now....told me a Tech will be out when one becomes available.....also told me that they don't prioritize home customers at all....just business ones....so if other service tickets of a higher priority are in the hopper, you are last on the pile and it could be whenever as home accounts just get pushed back.......sounds to me like I will get a Tech out if they have nothing really better to do.....what a great company!.......I wonder if that is the way the owners' HOME account is set up and if he waits till all the business tickets are serviced before they get to his issue? Gives me real confidence in his sincerity when he talks about how "customers are the top priority" & "they will do what ever it takes" to achieve a high level of customer satisfaction on the TV commercials......there is a bright spot however.....NO long term agreement locking me in.......so time to go shopping. Bottom line.....FRONTIER SUCKS REAL BAD at what they do. Best of luck to you. Jp

Review by glhamden See Profile

• Location: Lerona,Mercer,WV
Good "Avoid this company "
Bad "Avoid at all costs"
Overall "Avoid"

This company is only interested in money they do not care if you get what you paid for even with their terrible dsl they are constantly trying to up sell for more junk you do not need or want they will not stand be behind anything they sale you

Also note FCC is slowly becoming aware

Comments:
DeLiver
join:2004-09-01
Cincinnatus, NY

For the record...

"They have over sold their bandwidth in every market they serve and refuse to supply you with the bandwidth you purchased"

That is a complete lie. I am a customer that gets the bandwidth I purchased. Location is everything.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Re: For the record...

said by DeLiver:

No, it's not a complete lie. My DSL service speed under Frontier during the last 2 years has steadily deteriorated between 5pm and 11:30 pm most nights to the point that multiple minutes go by with upload speeds of 0 to 10 kb/sec, and hours go by without upload speeds exceeding 250 kb/sec (as measured every 2 minutes, night after night). The Frontier tech responding to my latest speed complaint last week told me that there are constant complaints about MAJOR speed shortfalls over the entire NE Indiana region that included premium-speed users, and that the problem is actually the gross under-capacity of equipment and the single pipeline serving Frontier DSL in the entire region. Techs have been complaining to Frontier management for several years as customers have increasingly been ventilating to them about this... but management has done absolutely nothing to resolve DSL speed issues. He indicated the company is instead putting its sparce resources into fiber service and expansion, though that expansion is only into densely-packed subdivisions and unavailable to many of us DSL users.
The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -- A. de Tocqueville

Review by Hank See Profile

• Location: Burlington,Mineral,WV
Good "With exceptions - see below."
Overall "Reliability is mediocure."

I have the DSLMax with a second connect. Telephone service is included on both lines. Modems supplied by Frontier are Westel 7500 and Netgear 7550. These modems are low end consumer grade. Because I live in a very rural area I do not expect any upgrades beyond what is currently available. Although reliability has improved over the last couple years it is still below industry standards. Dealing with the Customer Service Rep's is always a mistake. They do not listen to what the customer is saying. They have the mindset that customers are dumb and have absolutely no understanding of how the system works. Often they say the first dumb thing that pops into their head. Being acquainted with the local management team is a big plus. They will do their best to make sure that problems are addressed. Unfortunately they also must deal with Frontier Corp. management and are often as frustrated as the consumer is.

member for 12.5 years, 6307 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by RogueJawa See Profile

• Location: Lucasville,Scioto,OH
Good "Field techs are great, social Media Team very helpful"
Bad "National customer service, doesn't communicate problems well, initially bundled with Dish and that order was wrong"
Overall "Extreme patience and persistence required, only provider in the area, slow speed but better than dialup"

·WOW Internet and..
Back in July of 2013 I made the decision to move from the big city back to rural Ohio. Frontier is the phone and internet provider for the area which isn't serviced by a cable company because they say there are too few customers on the road to justify running cable there. I didn't really foresee it being a problem because my mother and a cousin that live on the same road have DSL from Frontier and don't have any issues.

Apparently I'm not that lucky.

So with some optimism I called Frontier to establish service. The lady I spoke to seemed nice and took all of my information. I decided to go ahead and get Dish Network since that's what they bundle with and get their DSL; I have enough bars on my cell phone to make calls so I really didn't want to get their home phone. After a few moments of small talk, because the rep was actually IN my area (which led me to feel even more optimistic), she informs me that my address isn't eligible for DSL service because it's too far away from the office. I asked her where the office was and she told me it was in Portsmouth. After a few minutes of explaining I get her to understand that there are two homes further away from the office than mine that have DSL from Frontier. She then explains that maybe her system just isn't up to date and she goes ahead and processes the order, setting me up with my satellite install and a self-install for my DSL.

A few days later I get a call from a Frontier rep that went to voicemail. She explained that they had to change my service date and asked me to give them a call. I promptly called back and the lady I spoke to confirmed my order, except she had me down for basic phone service and satellite TV. We went through the whole thing again, complete with her verifying the DSL service at a residence further from the office than mine, and she set me back up and made sure my modem was going to ship.

Curious, I called Dish to confirm my installation and it turns out it was all screwed up too. No DVR had been ordered, I had the wrong package, everything. So I fixed that order and crossed my fingers.

The 23rd rolls around and I call to find out when I should plug in the modem and test the connection. The rep told me to wait until 6:00 pm which is how late the techs are usually out. So at 6:30 I hook up the modem and.. nothing. No solid DSL light, just a blinking one. I call them back and they tell me the tech came and said I lived too far away. I asked them how it was possible that two other homes could have service and were further away from the office but mine can't. The rep told me they couldn't answer that and referred me to a supervisor, Michelle, from "Escalations." She said she'd contact engineering and call me back the next day.

I never got a call back from her. I waited a couple of days and called Frontier again. This time I was told they were going to groom the lines and I would get a call from the local manager on when I should expect service. I never got that call either. I waited several more days, called back on a Friday, and this time I got a guy who contacted their dispatch for me and told me they estimated it would be about a week. Ten days later I still don't have service so I call back and get told that they're going to groom the lines the next day, add an extender, that a tech would be out and I should be good to go.

Ha.

I never saw a tech before I had to leave for work. I called Frontier again to see if everything was still going to go as planned. I was told the tech was out in the field but they left a message with my phone number and asked the tech to call me when they were hooking the line up and tell me how things went. I never got that call either.

I'm so tired of dealing with Frontier at this point that I don't even know if I really care anymore. Despite that feeling I called back again today and was given to a supervisor who told me she was going to get me a technical supervisor and get me some kind of answer. Really at this point that's all I want. I'm on the verge of getting satellite internet because this is just ridiculous. Even with a cap and the horrible customer service satellite supposedly has it can't be worse than what I've put up with from Frontier. At this point even if they put their foot down and tell me I can't have service and I have to send the modem back I just want an answer on why.

Maybe I'm being unreasonable but it just doesn't seem logical to me that two homes further away from the office than I am have DSL but I'm not eligible. It makes ZERO SENSE.

I want to have hope that this supervisor will get me a resolution but I'm running pretty low on hope at the moment. Right now I would tell anyone thinking of getting service from Frontier to stay away from it unless they had no other option.

UPDATE 08/28/13: The supervisor, Nicky, from Washington has still never called me back. I've left multiple messages asking for an update and still nothing. However, as I was leaving for work today lo and behold there was a Frontier van sitting in my yard and a gentleman working on the line. He told me that he couldn't sync from the line itself and he suspected an old coil somewhere was interfering with the signal. He said he had spoken to the guy who did the DSL upgrade for my road and that there was no reason every house on it couldn't have DSL.

Which.. is what I've been saying all along. But it's nice to know that their technicians aren't just a myth fabricated by the worst customer service center I have ever dealt with. Only one CSR has given me real answers and the rest never call back when they say they're going to; including their supervisors. So I guess I'll wait a little bit longer before calling the local satellite company to have Exede installed so I can see how this will play out.

UPDATE 08/30/13: I received a voicemail from Frontier yesterday saying engineering had my service ready to go and that they would send me a modem. I found this interesting because I already have a modem. Out of curiosity I checked it and sure enough, still not synced. I called tech support to see if it was because they said they were sending a new modem or because of some other problem but they said the work order was still open. Needless to say I got transferred to customer service again who to,d me I lived too far out. I told her what the tech told me about the coils and she said "Oh yeah, old coils will block a DSL signal." And then she gave me a service date of October 2nd to get the work done.

Original service date? July 23rd.

Satellite is seriously looking more attractive by the day.

UPDATE 9/10/13: I spoke with Frontier again today, got a pretty nice guy who didn't read from a script and give me a response based on the first note for my order like most of the people I talk to do. He put me on hold for quite a while and kept apologizing for it but I told him it was no big deal. Honestly it isn't, not if you're genuinely trying to help me, which he was. When he came back to the line he told me that a tech had noted on 8/24 that I lived 25,500 feet away from the node, but that the local engineer went out to check and said they were wrong and that I only lived 13,000 feet away from the node. He also was supposed to have taken care of all the technical issues blocking service, but because our area is backed up it will be 10/2 before they can hook everything up.

So unless something changes my next update will be in October.. and hopefully I'll be able to give them a higher score.

UPDATE 10/04/13: Nope. Still no DSL. Now I'm dealing with the social media team after complaining on Facebook and Twitter. My new service date is 10/8 and supposedly all they have to do is hook up the outside wiring. We'll see. Next stop is the state attorney general. This review is turning into a blog with all the updates. I also revised the monthly price to show only the price do the DSL and not the combo with Dish. Also lowered the install coordination rating to reflect yet another missed install date and the fact it took me half a day of phone calls and social media complaints to get an answer on a new service date. RR on the social media team was polite and helpful at least.

UPDATE 10/10/13: Finally, some good news to share. Going the social media route and working with their Social Media Team has paid off, also a nice lady named Dawn from Customer Service who followed up with me this evening. A field tech came out yesterday morning and completed the outside wiring. I spoke with him before he left and he said I was good to go, that he'd been able to synch from the outside wiring and I had a DSL signal. Unfortunately I tried both modems and neither one will synch up. I spoke with Tech Support, Social Media, and Dawn from Customer Service and they are sending a tech back out tomorrow to inspect the inside wiring. I told them if they needed to, and if it would help, I would happily pay for the install of a new jack.

I've updated what ratings above that I can, and hopefully tomorrow I can update this from home to reflect fully working service inside the house.

UPDATE 10/12/13: My service was finally established on 10/12 and the tech who came out was amazing. Nicest guy in the world, really, and he took the time to make sure everything was working and connected before he left even though it was originally a self install. I'm very pleased with the local staff. The national staff, with the exception of Dawn (wherever you are) and Ree from Social Media, leave much to be desired. I appreciate all of Ree's work in coordinating with the local staff to keep me updated and Dawn from Customer Service who did follow my account after we spoke and called to see if there was anything she could do to help.

The service for the last 24 hours has been pretty reliable. I'm running the Frontier branded Netgear 7550. It kept hanging on one of the setup steps initially but the tech was able to resolve that issue and had it up and running, altogether I don't think he was there for more than 15 minutes, maybe 20 at the most. He was very professional and I appreciated that. As far as value for money.. well that's kind of subjective. It's nothing like the cable connection I had at my old place but the road I live on doesn't have enough subscribers to interest Time Warner so they never ran cable there. Before Frontier took over it was a Verizon area and they hadn't even established DSL service this far out. So it IS slow and I'm paying roughly $30 for speed I can't achieve, but it's faster than dialup and cheaper than capped satellite services.

Exede is not an option without topping some trees. I don't know about HughesNet, I never looked into them because I've heard they're the worst satellite provider there is. Verizon is the only reliable cell provider that reaches the valley I'm in and I wasn't prepared to pay the premiums they ask each month. Speed is pretty much around what I expected for the area. To me slow DSL, roughly 700Kbps to 1Mb, is better than no service at all or dialup in the area that I'm in so .. value for money is pretty good, at least for me. For someone else it might not be worth it, and if I'm lucky they'll keep upgrading and it will get better. Frontier crews are around all the time, I assume updating Verizon's antiquated network. Before I moved out of the county originally I lived in the biggest city the county sports and Verizon only had DSL service established within a few streets of their offices so I'd say Frontier has made leaps and bounds toward expanding that. They advertise up to 6Mb/s but I knew there was no way I was getting close to that.

Oh, and I still have two modems. The tech didn't seem interested in taking the other one with him so I guess I have a spare in case something happens to one of them. This is a change because most places are very adamant about getting equipment back.

Pros:

- Despite the speed I was able to update Steam and download some game files.

- iPhone and iPad are able to update reliably.

- DVR has a connection to the outside world and now allows for scheduling away from home, can order PPV, haven't tried any OnDemand services but the informational apps work fine.

- Not dialup.

Cons:

- It IS slow.. but this is subjective.

- Does not handle multitasking well.

Verdict: Better than having nothing at all or having dialup.

UPDATE 11/03: About three days after the install I began to notice the modem losing sync a few times between noon and about 7:00 pm. I attributed this to network congestion, but after a few more days the modem was losing sync quite a bit more often; seemed like it would drop every ten to fifteen minutes and my speeds were basically dial-up equivalent.

I sent an email to the general manger for my area and he said he would look into it. We discussed a similar problem my mother's modem had experienced and what the tech had suggested to fix it, I told him what my speeds were at install and what they were at now. I noticed a change the next day and in two days everything seemed to be back to normal. I've had no other issues and fairly consistent speeds at the rate that I expected for being so remote.

I've also been told I'm getting two months free for all of the install issues! It's not FiOS or cable and I can't really do streaming which would be a dealbreaker for some, but I'm able to waste my time in Final Fantasy XIV: ARR and that makes me a happy subscriber!

UPDATE 02/13/14: Credits were given as promised, but to this day I've never received a follow up from the general manager. There are still days where the service is impossible to use because the modem loses sync every 15-20 minutes. I can tell you that the initial elation I felt at finally having working service has since worn off. I'm not even going to bother trying tech support given their past performance. In late Summer/Fall of 2014 I plan on moving back to the city and the area I'm moving to is serviced by WOW. I'm looking forward to canceling Frontier and getting my cable service back. Unless something major happens I doubt I will update this listing until I terminate service.

UPDATE 05/17/14: Terminated service on the 15th. Trying to charge me $10 to disconnect the account which hasn't worked in a month anyway. Up yours Frontier. Good riddance.

Comments:
DeLiver
join:2004-09-01
Cincinnatus, NY

A quick question...

If your Frontier experience had exceeded your expectations, would you have contributed a similarly long and helpful review?

I doubt it.

Re: A quick question...

Actually as soon as I receive my refund check from Wide Open West after they log my equipment returned I was going to post a review on them, because I loved their service and wish they offered service where I am now.

My turn.

Did you have a point to make or do you just like to hear yourself talk?

I doubt it. I'm betting you like to hear yourself talk. Perhaps, given your own "review", you just don't like seeing people give a negative recount of their experience with your friends? Just because you have "connections" at Frontier and like their service doesn't make my negative review any less valid, or take away my right to post it if I wish.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA
·SureWest Internet

said by DeLiver:

I doubt it.

I doubt it also. Not for the same snarky reason as you posted though. Reason I doubt it is that there is rarely any good experience regarding Frontier.

Sarick
It's Only Logical
join:2003-06-03
USA
·Frontier Communi..
After seeing your review from a different region I question the motivations behind your comment.

»Review of Frontier Communications by DeLiver
Sarick's Dungeon Clipart

Joe Dirt

@frontiernet.net

Frontier

I don't have any issues with Frontier. techs are nice and do what they can. I know that they are working on some congestion issues. I know that things seem to get worse but I have seen some speed bumps here in MN in some of their exchanges. They are more reliable than the cable copmany in my area which is Mediacom.

Re: Frontier

That's great for MN, but not so much here in Ohio.
iowaboy
join:2004-02-28
Fairfield, IA
·Mediacom
·Windstream
·WildBlue

Re: Frontier

I don't know what the problem is with the review. It is just an honest post of what has happened so far. It reminds me of another national company who has lots of issues also and not providing what it should be. I do hope they finally get your DSL installed and working. I haven't updated my review on my phone company DSL experiences yet but will soon as I am having issues of a bad line that they seem to not want to fix.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Re: Frontier

There is no problem with the review. However, the review really comes down to the OP insisting on having the service installed after the OP was told the service would not work. Now, months later, guess what? The service doesn't work. IMHO its BS to post a bad review when there was obviously a reason way back at the first phone call the OP was told he/she was not eligible for service.

Re: Frontier

IMHO it's BS to reply to a review without fully reading it. If you had you would see that two houses further away than mine have DSL and that they essentially are the end of the line. You would also see the section where the field tech discussed that the entire road had been upgraded for DSL. You would also see that the engineer measured and said I wasn't too far out and did qualify for service, hence why they did the upgrade two years ago. Hence the first person you think I should have listened to was WRONG.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Re: Frontier

Yet here you are with no DSL. I read your review. I also know that the telephone lines don't always run in the direction you think. You have conflicting reports from different people. You don't have DSL and your review doesn't really provide any useful information other than you were advised you can't get DSL and guess what? You can't get DSL.

Re: Frontier

I'm pretty sure when the line doesn't go past the last pole that I know what direction it's coming from. And if you'd really read it you'd know that the engineer says I CAN because it was mismeasured and that one of the technicians who came out said they had spoken with the guy who did the DSL upgrade for the entire road.

Should I say it slower?

Engineering said the entire road was upgraded for DSL service.

Therefore, Customer Service was initially wrong.

Oh, and per the latest update.. I have a DSL signal at the NID now. So technically I have DSL, there's just a break somewhere between the NID and the jack.
rody_44
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 recommendation

I have comcast and live in a verizon area. I think what he is trying to tell you that just because the two houses are further from you doesnt mean your line is shorter. That is indeed a true statement. It may not make sense to you but that is the way it is. It doesnt really matter why they do it that way the fact is its not rare at all no matter what phone company it is. You have to remember when phone lines were ran dsl wasnt even around. I was in the exact same boat with verizon until they ran fiber. people further away could get it and i couldnt. Came down to even tho we share the road we didnt share the same route.

Yes, I'm aware of that.

But like I said. One of the techs was on the phone with a local engineer who PERFORMED the upgrade for the entire road. All of the lines were updated. Every house qualifies for service, and NOW if I go to their website and input my address it allows for ordering. It didn't before.

Like I said, the initial person I spoke to was wrong.
slopoke

join:2012-05-20
London, OH

Re: Frontier

Well glad I stopped by today my fellow buckeye and Frontier customer. I found it entertaining. Sounds like you might have had a wire issue from the first modem. Any way we got Frontier after Verizon packed up. Truthfully things been better in the long run. Up here the service is just groovy. Hasn't been down for over a year and a half. Even then some dummy took out a pole up town. Frontier had the service back before the electric company. We have congestion issues when the kids on-line after school so I do my dirty work in the day time or middle of the nite. (download a lot of Linux) You next challenge is are you getting the speed you ordered. If not don't bother with the Tech line. Get your road boss to come out and have you provisioned to your full speed. They can do it, you can't on the phone. Just saying in case. Frontier does great if the infastructure (sp) is up to snuff. They have been updating here and it just keeps getting better. Good luck.
Just Me and My Acer. And a bag of chips.

Re: Frontier

Thanks, that's what I'm hoping.

If I'm lucky they'll have the inside wiring fixed tomorrow and I'll be good to go. The tech told me on Wednesday he had a DSL signal at the NID, so the problem has to be between there and the jack. What are the chances two modems are bad?

I work in Columbus and they have been doing a ton of work between Portsmouth and Circleville, you see them out all the time, so I assume they're doing upgrades. Verizon had a horrible infrastructure here.

I know how the first portion of my review comes across, but I am genuinely grateful for the work they've been doing and that someone somewhere has been trying to figure out what's blocking my signal and resolved that issue. Now if they can just figure out what's wrong between the NID and the jack I should be fine. According to the Technical Supervisor and General Manager for my area I should have service, it has to be the inside wiring now.

Review by timkedojeh See Profile

• Location: Olney,Richland,IL
Good "Decent speeds, if you can get them"
Bad "Extreme congestion and terrible reps"
Overall "If Frontier's your only choice, move."

We've had Frontier service since the lines were Verizon. Back then, things were good; out in the middle of nowhere, you can't expect much. The moment Frontier took over, things starting going downhill. First came the congestion as they added more customers to already-saturated areas, then the price hikes.

The beginning of the end was three days ago. We scheduled to have our home phone disconnected (since everyone has a cell phone). Since the phone was turned off, our speeds have been atrocious. I finally decided to check the transceiver statistics and, huh, our previously provisioned 3Mbps line was now reading 1.5Mbps (1792). Plenty of margin to spare, so it obviously wasn't a line issue.

I called support and asked them what was up. They tried to convince me that the most I could've ever been provisioned for was 1.5, I never had 3, and that the entire area was restricted to 1.5. (Huh, so what was with those sales you guys did as soon as you took over, advertising 7.1? And you provided people with 7.1, I was in people's houses who have 7.1.)

It's obvious that Frontier is over-saturated to the point where new customers are being held back to the bare minimums to maintain network quality for everyone else. It's a slap in the face that they're doing it to established customers as well when we change services. The fact that the rep had the balls to lie to me was the last straw.

In the morning, I'm calling NewWave, I'm getting a RG6 cable buried down the 400ft driveway, and I'm saying goodbye and good riddance to Frontier forever. Never again!

Comments:
Makasinsoul

join:2014-05-19

You ain't joking

I 100 percent agree, if you can only get frontier run as far away as you can. This is a cash grab company. That preys on area that have no competition. When wireless goes unlimited they will just go bankrupt and go out of business.

Review by IfThenElse See Profile

• Location: South Vienna,Clark,OH
Bad "low speed, high lag, high price"
Overall "only option"

02/2014 Downgraded to dry loop. Two customer service reps and one tech assured me porting the home phone number to a cell phone would work without losing internet. They lied. Once the phone number port went through, it took over a week to get service going again. It took them three days just to figure out what had happened, and it required a new account. Price is now a flat $40, no fees, still 3meg, still same crappy drops to about 200k in evenings. Every time I call in they say the area is marked as overloaded and that upgrades are "coming soon", but after two years I don't think they know what "soon" means.

04/2013 Getting better, but still rough. Most of the disconnect/no connect issues went away as they switched off of the Verizon leftovers. Upgraded to 3/768 summer 2011. The CO is maxed out on lines, and definitely has problems at peak hours. I can expect to get 3 meg from about 1 AM to 6 PM, but drop to effectively dial up in the evenings. This even affects games, as I still have significant lag regardless of the bandwidth needed. This could be due to the upstream compression. I have also seen the internet just stop, no activity at all, for between 3 and 10 seconds when it is particularly busy. Changed modems from the 327 to the 7500 and just got a 7550. Each had slightly better connection numbers, but no real change in the overall experience. Tech support is decent, still have to go through basic checklist each call. Every time they send a tech out, it shows my line capable of 7 meg or more. They did mix stuff up and add the inside wire maintenance plan to my account. It showed in February, back dated to January. Wasn't too hard to correct, also got some credits for the service troubles.

04/2011

This is an account that was sold by Verizon. Verizon service wasn't great, this was basically the same, but is now slowly degrading. Rural DSL, only option is 768/128, usually get 80%, not counting lag, pauses (~10secs) and disconnects (as much as every 5 minutes). Not even sure what options I have because, 9 months after acquisition, most of the website still has Verizon branding and links that do not work. Only part of Frontier (well, ncnetwork, whatever that is) website that typically works is paying the bill, go figure.

Comments:

Review by Action2 See Profile

• Location: Newman,Douglas,IL
Good "Low Latency"
Bad "Low bandwidth and packetloss during peak times."
Overall "Works well during non peak hours"

Update 4-28-2014

Over a year later congestion is still a problem. Over the last 6 months packet loss has started to become an issue as well. From 4PM-10PM the service is barely usable with speeds reaching 1Mb/s and packet loss getting as high as 10-20%. At this point websites have trouble loading and any real time usage of the internet is impossible.

While severe congestion has been recognized by Frontier as an issue, there is no timetable on fixing the problem.

--------------------------------
Update 4-03-2013:

It seems Frontier still can not get a handle on the congestion issues. They have become more severe since the last review. Speeds are generally below 3Mb after 5PM and the low speeds occasionally stay down in the basement until well after midnight.

With the window for low speeds widening instead of closing, their service is becoming less valuable for the price they are asking.
Update 9-26-2012:

Another short update, the new bonded DSL plan is now available and I have upgraded to 12Mb Bonded DSL. The speeds are definitely improved. With this new plan, a new modem/router combo was issued, leaving me with a Comtrend nexuslink 5631.

Congestion is still apparent, I have had severe drops in bandwidth during prime time over the last couple of weeks. Speeds are generally 10-11Mb/s until the 8PM-1AM time frame.

Value for money is a little better in my opinion, with the 2Mb upload being particularly nice.

Bottom line: Once congestion is cleared up, this bonded DSL will be a solid service.

Update 8-15-2012:

Quick update to this review, it appears upgrades have taken place and I can now order 7.1Mb DSL.

I have switched to their new dry loop plan that was recently made available for a similar price but faster speed.

Congestion is still a minor issue at times with speeds dipping during peak hours slightly, however latency usually remains low and bandwidth generally remains above 5Mb.

With the faster speed, the service is becoming more worth the price compared to speeds I had before.

Update 4-9-2012:

Since I wrote this review, the congestion has been mostly cleared up. There are still times of congestion on the network near Chicago, but over all latency and peak time bandwidth has improved.

The most problematic issue with the service at this point is value for money. Despite being on ADSL2+, and very close to the CO I am limited to a 3Mb connection downstream, and 768k upload. I am on the Frontier Max plan and I am currently being charged $57 per month for dry loop DSL line, ($50 + $7 modem fee) which is a very poor speed to cost ratio.

Hopefully greater speeds will be available soon, as current speeds are low even for DSL standards.
Summary: $57 a month for 3Mb DSL with congestion still being an occasional problem during peak times. Expensive and slow overall speeds compared to modern high speed internet.

---------------------------------
Original review:

I have had the 3Mbit/s Frontier DSL for the past few months, starting probably in late October of 2010 when it first became available in my area. The service started out great however I started noticing congestion issues from 7pm-midnight every night starting in early november.

Now on average the speeds are about 1Mbit/s with latency of over 200ms every evening. Calling Frontier customer service is not always as helpful as it should,
During non peak hours the latency is usually under 50ms for nearby locations with speeds greatly varying up to the max 3Mbit/s limit of course. I have recently been debating if I should consider going back to the local Wireless ISP in the area as I feel Frontier doesn't have the strength needed to overcome their issues in a reasonable amount of time.

Comments:

Esperanza

@comcast.net

Refund

Frontier service was canceled on February 7, 2012. All equipment was returned and today April I made my third call about the $129,84 Frontier owes me They claim I should receive it in 2 to 3 weeks. Unacceptable!!!!!!!!!!! Never again will I deal with this company,

Review by andy See Profile

• Location: West Edmeston,Madison,NY
Good "Tech people are friendly"
Bad "The internet service"
Overall "Don't buy unless you have to"

We live in a rural area and, yeah, I know, MOVE TO A CITY. We have to have frontier. And we pay top dollar. FOR .9 mbps down on weekends and 3 on weekdays. We don't like them