Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by timkedojeh See Profile

• Location: Olney,Richland,IL
Good "Decent speeds, if you can get them"
Bad "Extreme congestion and terrible reps"
Overall "If Frontier's your only choice, move."

We've had Frontier service since the lines were Verizon. Back then, things were good; out in the middle of nowhere, you can't expect much. The moment Frontier took over, things starting going downhill. First came the congestion as they added more customers to already-saturated areas, then the price hikes.

The beginning of the end was three days ago. We scheduled to have our home phone disconnected (since everyone has a cell phone). Since the phone was turned off, our speeds have been atrocious. I finally decided to check the transceiver statistics and, huh, our previously provisioned 3Mbps line was now reading 1.5Mbps (1792). Plenty of margin to spare, so it obviously wasn't a line issue.

I called support and asked them what was up. They tried to convince me that the most I could've ever been provisioned for was 1.5, I never had 3, and that the entire area was restricted to 1.5. (Huh, so what was with those sales you guys did as soon as you took over, advertising 7.1? And you provided people with 7.1, I was in people's houses who have 7.1.)

It's obvious that Frontier is over-saturated to the point where new customers are being held back to the bare minimums to maintain network quality for everyone else. It's a slap in the face that they're doing it to established customers as well when we change services. The fact that the rep had the balls to lie to me was the last straw.

In the morning, I'm calling NewWave, I'm getting a RG6 cable buried down the 400ft driveway, and I'm saying goodbye and good riddance to Frontier forever. Never again!

Comments:
Makasinsoul

join:2014-05-19

You ain't joking

I 100 percent agree, if you can only get frontier run as far away as you can. This is a cash grab company. That preys on area that have no competition. When wireless goes unlimited they will just go bankrupt and go out of business.

Review by IfThenElse See Profile

• Location: South Vienna,Clark,OH
Bad "low speed, high lag, high price"
Overall "only option"

02/2014 Downgraded to dry loop. Two customer service reps and one tech assured me porting the home phone number to a cell phone would work without losing internet. They lied. Once the phone number port went through, it took over a week to get service going again. It took them three days just to figure out what had happened, and it required a new account. Price is now a flat $40, no fees, still 3meg, still same crappy drops to about 200k in evenings. Every time I call in they say the area is marked as overloaded and that upgrades are "coming soon", but after two years I don't think they know what "soon" means.

04/2013 Getting better, but still rough. Most of the disconnect/no connect issues went away as they switched off of the Verizon leftovers. Upgraded to 3/768 summer 2011. The CO is maxed out on lines, and definitely has problems at peak hours. I can expect to get 3 meg from about 1 AM to 6 PM, but drop to effectively dial up in the evenings. This even affects games, as I still have significant lag regardless of the bandwidth needed. This could be due to the upstream compression. I have also seen the internet just stop, no activity at all, for between 3 and 10 seconds when it is particularly busy. Changed modems from the 327 to the 7500 and just got a 7550. Each had slightly better connection numbers, but no real change in the overall experience. Tech support is decent, still have to go through basic checklist each call. Every time they send a tech out, it shows my line capable of 7 meg or more. They did mix stuff up and add the inside wire maintenance plan to my account. It showed in February, back dated to January. Wasn't too hard to correct, also got some credits for the service troubles.

04/2011

This is an account that was sold by Verizon. Verizon service wasn't great, this was basically the same, but is now slowly degrading. Rural DSL, only option is 768/128, usually get 80%, not counting lag, pauses (~10secs) and disconnects (as much as every 5 minutes). Not even sure what options I have because, 9 months after acquisition, most of the website still has Verizon branding and links that do not work. Only part of Frontier (well, ncnetwork, whatever that is) website that typically works is paying the bill, go figure.

Comments:

Review by andy See Profile

• Location: West Edmeston,Madison,NY
Good "Tech people are friendly"
Bad "The internet service"
Overall "Don't buy unless you have to"

We live in a rural area and, yeah, I know, MOVE TO A CITY. We have to have frontier. And we pay top dollar. FOR .9 mbps down on weekends and 3 on weekdays. We don't like them

Comments:

Review by mike8675309 See Profile

• Location: Farmington,Dakota,MN
Good "Tends to be reliable if not low performance for the cost."
Bad "Expensive for the speeds available. When there are problems, not very helpful"
Overall "Cable internet likely a better value if you can get it."

·Charter
I have Frontier's High Speed Inet 6M/384K service and for 99% of the time I don't even fret about it. Sure, I'm not thrilled about the terrible upload speed, nor the changeable download speeds. But overall, I tended to prefer Frontier since my experience with customer service has usually been very good, and my cable experience really bad.

Outages are rare, but I recently had an outage that causes me to now look at alternatives to Frontier. The service went down, out of the blue at 4:30pm. Over the next 4 hours I spoke to 3 different people at Frontier. The first basically said yes, it looks like an issue. Don't worry I'll escalate it and someone should be taking a look at the problem soon. After that I spoke to some neighbors with DSL. Yep, theirs is down too. 3.5 hours later I call to see whats up. This guy tells me someone will be out at 5pm tomorrow to look at the problem. O.k.. so now starts a long conversation, more trouble shooting, and eventually talking to a supervisor that basically says to me, regardless of what you pay for the service, we're not going to do anything about it until tomorrow.

I can get that kind of poor service from the cable company and at a lower cost. Maybe it's time for me to cut telephone all together, use my cell phone, and get cable for internet.

Update on 3/20/2014. I moved 2 years ago and in the transaction with Frontier I got stuck with no phone service and having to change phone numbers even though before the move I was given no notification of that need. Thus I could wait 3 days to get my phone service at the new home, or the cable company could get me phone service in 2 hours. I picked the cable company. No longer with Frontier and don't even get telphone from the cable company anymore. I use cable internet and voip for telephone.

Comments:

Review by Luka1 See Profile

• Location: Index,Snohomish,WA
Good "Good, reliable service."
Bad "Cost."

Ok, I've been on Frontier DSL for about two years now.

I love it.

There have been problems, but I have never dealt with a company of any sort that never had any problems.

The people at Frontier are quick to try to solve any problems. And the field techs are top notch!

Comments:

Review by butterfly See Profile

• Location: Myrtle Beach,Horry,SC
  • Telco party DSL.Net
Good "No contract "
Bad "Horrible"
Overall "They suck"

There costumer service sucks, i don't think anyone knows what they're doing ... I upgraded to the fastest speed available and it only got worse .... I keep losing connection and its so slow, I'm going with time warner, thank God I didn't have to sign a contract ...

Comments:

Review by acdunbar See Profile

• Location: Hurricane,Putnam,WV
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Extremely slow, terrible support"
Overall "Only service in area"

Terrible connection consistency and extremely slow. After fighting with support for over a year I have received every excuse under the sun for the poor service. Have had technicians out for service at least once a month and received a different cause each time, ranging from water in the line to some one messed with the wires in the distribution box. I have repeatedly requested the local supervisor to address the issues, but ultimately was ignored. Since Frontier is the only service provider for the area they refuse to improve the infrastructure and regularly ignore customer concerns. I am extremely displeased with the quality of service and customer support. If there were any other provider I would switch immediately, even if the price were exponentially more.

member for 1 year, 12 visits, last login: 198 days ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:
ZSwiftmend

join:2013-05-05
Morgantown, WV

Frontier has been awful for years

I agree! We have been forced to use Frontier for the last 6-7 years (in WV also) because there is no other provider. The service is awful! They advertise one speed, but we dont even come close to that. We have to have a service tech at the house about every 60 days, because someone "moved the lines in the distribution box". They do not have the infrastructure to support the customer base. And it would appear that they have no intention of doing anything about it. We have reached out to several layers of management, with no response. It is frustration beyond belief.

Review by avisud See Profile

• Location: Kirkland,King,WA
Good "Reliable internet"
Bad "VEry slow, no upgrades to service in last 2 years, Pathetic customer service, No streaming services provided"
Overall "Stay away, "

Had the 15/5 package for last 2 years. No upgrades offered at all, while comcast has upgraded their service from 12/3 to 50/10. Online accounts/email account never works as expected, always land up calling customer service. Customer service reps are all across the board, contradicting one another in services offered.

Disappointed, high incentive to switch to comcast

member for 1 year, 0 visits, last login: 1 year ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by siuuplink See Profile

• Location: Carbondale,Jackson,IL
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Extremely slow speeds"
Overall "No other choice"

Have had DSL for years, first with Verizon and then with Frontier when they took over the landlines in S. Illinois. Always had reliable service with Verizon. Cannot say the same for Frontier. For the past two months DSL download speeds fluctuate all over the place from a best of 1.52mbps down to .32kbps. Every time I call Frontier technical support I get the same story- "they are working on it and don't have any other information" and that "it is a congestion issue". So in other words, they have oversold this area and not installed equipment to handle increased demand. They cannot give me any more information. I find it astonishing that I live 4 miles from a major research university, yet I cannot get even a basic reliable internet connection from Frontier. My only option other than Frontier is satellite.

Comments:
tellyguy
join:2012-01-21
Saint Louis, MO

Internet Service

You should go to Clearwave.com to see if you can try to get their service. I know they serve most of Southern Illinois.

Frontiercom

@frontiernet.net

Frontier Internet

I live just north of St Paul, MN and have had Frontier for about 6 months. Just moved here and this is the only carrier according to what I've been told.

DSL is not terribly slow but hangs up quite frequently. I have tried to get online with Frontier a couple of times but seem to get lost in the "time warp" waiting for service and give up. Any thoughts or replies?

Review by lawsoncl See Profile

• Location: Spirit Lake,Kootenai,ID
Good "Mostly reliable, slows down a bit in heavy usage hours"
Bad "Capped at 1.5 service even though line support 4-meg"
Overall "Only available option, so I'm stuck"

Frontier customer support sucks. When you call for support, their goal is to get you off the phone. They keep closing tickets for no apparent reason. Their own techs have told me that my line will support up to 4.7-meg, but their helpdesk will insist that I'm only eligible for 1.5 meg in my market area. The real answer is that the Frontier infrastructure is so poor, that they are artificially limiting connection speeds so they can sell more service without actually upgrading their equipment.

member for 6.2 years, 217 visits, last login: a few hours ago