Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by ncted See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Fast, connection for a reasonable price. No caps. Netflix open connect CDN. CSRs and techs are very nice and friendly."
Bad "Installation happened a day late even though I purposely gave them plenty of lead time. 2 long outages in a week."
Overall "Nice folks, intermittent service."

I was on TWC Turbo (20/2), and I was unhappy with Netflix streaming performance and first byte time on websites and the recent price increases. Despite speedtest.net ping times of >20ms, it was laggy. I read that Frontier had joined the Netflix Open connect CDN: »signup.netflix.com/openconnect, and the price and speeds offered were good, so I decided to give it a try. I ordered Simply Broadband Max (24/2) for $55/month, no contract, free installation, and 2 year price guarantee.

Installation was a annoying because they didn't show up in the window they specified, and didn't call to tell me they weren't going to be able to make the appointment. I got a call over an hour later letting me know they would try again the next day. When I called to find out why, I was told they were busy fixing service for many people affected by adverse weather. While that may be true, they clearly knew they would not make my appointment well ahead of time, and they could have let me know sooner.

I received an ActionTec FV2200 modem. It has a full set of router features. I disabled wireless, and may try to put it into bridge mode, if I can determine how to make my Airport Extreme work with PPOE on a channel bonded connection.

Speedtest.net ping times are about 10ms longer than TWC, but first byte times are actually about 1/2 second lower than I observed with TWC. Netflix hasn't re-buffered yet, and it seems solidly at the highest PQ so far. I did experience an Internet outage (but not DSL, so must have been a backhaul issue) the first night I had the new service from about 12:30-2:00 AM, but TWC was down at the same time, so I would've been impacted either way. Since then, it has been rock solid. Hopefully that continues.

At the end of the day, I am happy I switched, and I hope this will be a reliable service for a long time to come.

UPDATE 3/5/2014:

I am posting this from my TWC connection I hadn't cancelled yet. Frontier has been down for hours and Tech Support has no idea why. This is the second time in a week. Not happy at the moment.

UPDATE 3/6/2014:

Due to connection reliability issues, I have cancelled my service. The CSR was extremely nice about it, and offered to lower my bill to make up for the inconvenience of the outage. If I didn't need this for work, I might consider it.

member for 4 years, 581 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Lyle jeffrey

@50.36.70.x

extremely dissatfied

I am writing this to let everyone know just how we have been treated with this company! my wife was called over a year ago with a offer to bundle our services so we could save about $30.00 a month . she agreed and they bundled our service lo and behold our monthly bill did not go down but went up by over $30.00. after numerous calls to frontier (getting some one different each time) we got nothing but a run around. At this point we ask to cancel our services and was told there would be a large charge to do so. mind you we have been with this company for ever. this was a year ago just this week my wife called to cancel our service and they say the contract was renewed in October. we had no idea how this was done they now say there is a $100.00 for early cancellation fee. this company is like a bad omen once your in you cant get out with out paying threw to nose. so be ware people you should think twice before doing business with these rip offs. we are on a fixed income so every little bit helps!

Review by Luka1 See Profile

• Location: Index,Snohomish,WA
Good "Good, reliable service."
Bad "Cost."

Ok, I've been on Frontier DSL for about two years now.

I love it.

There have been problems, but I have never dealt with a company of any sort that never had any problems.

The people at Frontier are quick to try to solve any problems. And the field techs are top notch!

Comments:

Review by butterfly See Profile

• Location: Myrtle Beach,Horry,SC
  • Telco party DSL.Net
Good "No contract "
Bad "Horrible"
Overall "They suck"

There costumer service sucks, i don't think anyone knows what they're doing ... I upgraded to the fastest speed available and it only got worse .... I keep losing connection and its so slow, I'm going with time warner, thank God I didn't have to sign a contract ...

Comments:

Review by acdunbar See Profile

• Location: Hurricane,Putnam,WV
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Extremely slow, terrible support"
Overall "Only service in area"

Terrible connection consistency and extremely slow. After fighting with support for over a year I have received every excuse under the sun for the poor service. Have had technicians out for service at least once a month and received a different cause each time, ranging from water in the line to some one messed with the wires in the distribution box. I have repeatedly requested the local supervisor to address the issues, but ultimately was ignored. Since Frontier is the only service provider for the area they refuse to improve the infrastructure and regularly ignore customer concerns. I am extremely displeased with the quality of service and customer support. If there were any other provider I would switch immediately, even if the price were exponentially more.

Comments:
ZSwiftmend

join:2013-05-05
Morgantown, WV

Frontier has been awful for years

I agree! We have been forced to use Frontier for the last 6-7 years (in WV also) because there is no other provider. The service is awful! They advertise one speed, but we dont even come close to that. We have to have a service tech at the house about every 60 days, because someone "moved the lines in the distribution box". They do not have the infrastructure to support the customer base. And it would appear that they have no intention of doing anything about it. We have reached out to several layers of management, with no response. It is frustration beyond belief.

Review by avisud See Profile

• Location: Kirkland,King,WA
Good "Reliable internet"
Bad "VEry slow, no upgrades to service in last 2 years, Pathetic customer service, No streaming services provided"
Overall "Stay away, "

Had the 15/5 package for last 2 years. No upgrades offered at all, while comcast has upgraded their service from 12/3 to 50/10. Online accounts/email account never works as expected, always land up calling customer service. Customer service reps are all across the board, contradicting one another in services offered.

Disappointed, high incentive to switch to comcast

Comments:

Review by siuuplink See Profile

• Location: Carbondale,Jackson,IL
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Extremely slow speeds"
Overall "No other choice"

Have had DSL for years, first with Verizon and then with Frontier when they took over the landlines in S. Illinois. Always had reliable service with Verizon. Cannot say the same for Frontier. For the past two months DSL download speeds fluctuate all over the place from a best of 1.52mbps down to .32kbps. Every time I call Frontier technical support I get the same story- "they are working on it and don't have any other information" and that "it is a congestion issue". So in other words, they have oversold this area and not installed equipment to handle increased demand. They cannot give me any more information. I find it astonishing that I live 4 miles from a major research university, yet I cannot get even a basic reliable internet connection from Frontier. My only option other than Frontier is satellite.

Comments:
tellyguy
join:2012-01-21
Saint Louis, MO

Internet Service

You should go to Clearwave.com to see if you can try to get their service. I know they serve most of Southern Illinois.

Frontiercom

@frontiernet.net

Frontier Internet

I live just north of St Paul, MN and have had Frontier for about 6 months. Just moved here and this is the only carrier according to what I've been told.

DSL is not terribly slow but hangs up quite frequently. I have tried to get online with Frontier a couple of times but seem to get lost in the "time warp" waiting for service and give up. Any thoughts or replies?

Review by lawsoncl See Profile

• Location: Spirit Lake,Kootenai,ID
Good "Mostly reliable, slows down a bit in heavy usage hours"
Bad "Capped at 1.5 service even though line support 4-meg"
Overall "Only available option, so I'm stuck"

Frontier customer support sucks. When you call for support, their goal is to get you off the phone. They keep closing tickets for no apparent reason. Their own techs have told me that my line will support up to 4.7-meg, but their helpdesk will insist that I'm only eligible for 1.5 meg in my market area. The real answer is that the Frontier infrastructure is so poor, that they are artificially limiting connection speeds so they can sell more service without actually upgrading their equipment.

member for 6 years, 146 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jpw42 See Profile

• Location: Austin,Mower,MN
Good "It is better then dial up... maybee... when it works..."
Bad "Slow, unreliable, bad service "
Overall "If you have any choice, dont choose Frontier."

They often lie to you when you are having problems. Tell you it is a problem on your side. I have been in the middle of exams for school and oops... no internet. I guess that I just have to call the Professor and beg for more time to take the test. AVOID at all costs.

Comments:

Review by Sarick See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "none"
Bad "Multiple repair tickets for same problem"
Overall "It's the only service available"

They upgraded the download caps we loved the fact of having maximum connection limits. Service was wonderful and our connection was stable.

We contacted support over technical issues of being disconnected recently 3/2008. This happened after a line was damaged in route to our house was repaired. (a tree fell on the lines) An intermittent issue caused attenuation to reach over 60+ causing our connections to drop with an average that was 51. After contacting the tech support a ticket was issued.

The problem appeared to be resolved and out connection was again working at about 2m+ down. We again started having issues, We again contacted support after unusual errors. That night our max limit prematurely dropped to the minimum guaranteed rates. The problems with drop offs continued and we again contacted support. The next day a tech visited our hour for the first time and we had no issues.

Unfortunately, because of contacting support our connection limits that where previously 100% reliable before 2008 where permanently capped. I contacted support and was given the run around that we only guarantee 1m down and because the problem is fixed they don't understand why I'm upset.

UPDATE:

I finally contacted, frontier nets main company about this issue and a nice employee called me back withing hours. The issue was fixed and my line was upgraded to 2.6 meg. Today it went down for the first time in months after I called up over congestion. now it's at 3.7 almost 4 meg down.

There are still a lot of errors but I suppose as long as the line is stable and fast I'm not complaining. I'm very please that this single representative got through the red tape and fixed everything.

UPDATE:11/11/09

did a line test seems ok enough but as you can see they still have some minor backbone network issues that aren't on my end.

»/linequality/nil/2585263

UPDATE:10/25/13

4 days ago at around 10:47 I think on Oct. 22 the internet went down. After 24 hours of no service I tried calling up the tech repair lines. I was greeted with the disconnected message "We're sorry, the number you dialed in not in service at this time please~~" Not only did the internet go down but the phone lines where knocked out so that no outside local numbers could be accessed.

I decided to dial 0 and speak to an operator. That managed to work she was able to transfer me to the line repair. After speaking to this representative she issued a ticket for the phone then transferred me to DSL tech support. I spoke him about the internet. They was having issues in my area with no sentiment on repair. I thanked him nicely and finished the call.

After another 2 days of waiting I called up again asking when DSL service would be restored. This representative seemed like he know there was a problem but could offer no repair quote. I ask him if this was indefinite until farther notice. He implied that yes there was working to resolve the issues. On the 24th I called again wanting to see if there was an update on the situation. I was greeted with the warning that high speed connections in and around (private) and (private) near me where still experiencing issues.

After waiting on the line several minutes a person got on the phone. I explained my information ask a few questions. He told it wasn't his problem to that my internet wasn't working. Apparently, my experience and the settings that I've been using the past three years with my equipment where irrelevant. He then then ask for a number to call me back if we got disconnected. His suggestion was to hook up a frontier modem router so he could do a scripted support call. He was unaware the the only modem frontier sent me was dated back to 2008 and also no longer supported. He then said we are currently experiencing no outages in your area. I ask him to hold on the line. I three way called frontier on the second line and let him listen to the frontier message. He hung up the phone after a few seconds of the frontier message.

I looked through my logs modem sync etc. The ADSL sync, ethernet connection and line stability all checked out fine. What I found was that the PPPoE was timing out on their end. Either the server was ignoring my request or it was down. I called up my neighbor and ask his if his internet was up. He seemed antagonistic but logged on his provided modem/router without much issue. Clearly something was up.

Well, oddly it was so this lead me into some investigation. I tried multiple PPPoE connections both on the router and bypassing the router though the modems internal router. In all cases PPPoE authentication never worked. I then decided to remove my DSL modem and use the old frontier modem/router in bridged mode. It also failed. I then tried to access it using the original frontier settings to connect through PPPoE. This being a frontier modem/router with the technician settings. This should've allowed their hardware to connect through their hardware and setup. Low and behold this also failed.

I decided to drop the PPPoE authentication and use the long outdated PPPoA settings from back when the service was introduced into my area. I had to manually enter these settings into the modem router as the newer device didn't have them per-programmed. Oddly, the modem was able to authenticate PPPoA. I'm at a loss for words. Clearly something at frontier was broken or set to restrict connections. I can no longer bridge over PPPoE with any device. Sadly, If PPPoE works it must need need extra perimeters or specific MAC addresses range (forcing frontier equipment) or cloning.

The only reason I'm able to write this updated review is because I'm double routing though the frontier modem that is authenticated by PPPoA. Apparently, they didn't fully phase it out in my area so I lucked out.

My internet is crippled and Frontier will not even open up communication to resolve my issues. As you can see I've been trying several days with no results. This is clearly not the most professional way to help a paid customer that's having technical issues. There is no way to resolve the problem if the engineers are hiding behind scripted tech support personnel.

Right now my connection is crippled it barely works and anything that uses the external ip internally or through the firewall is severely limited.

UPDATE:10/25/13 (part two later that day)

After contacting (unnamed) at frontier consumer affairs and getting past the red tape a tech called me to discuss setting up a new modem from frontier. I feared the tech would push it off as my only equipment choice and insist situation was because incompatible hardware on my end. After a few minutes of discussion we agreed to let him setup a modem and test it at the d-slam. After this call my DSL sync went down. I switched back in my old modem setup that wasn't working in case it came back up fully.

After a few minutes remarkably it came back up and my PPPoE connection established at 3712 using the same hardware/setup prior to the loss of internet. Woohoo!, It then abruptly was dropped again. I Called him up to tell him that I established a connection and PPPoE was started working on my end again. He explained the issue was a bad network port on their end that caused this issue. The reason the connection came back up is the card port was bad/replaced. Amazing ADSL sync, end to end ping almost everything checked out but the PPPoE POP failed to create a session when the PADO packets timed out.

When the connection came back up the second time I noted the 50% drop in provision sync. I explained that my issue wasn't DSL sync or packet loss or my hardware so why did I get re-provisioned. He seemed fine with returning it to 3712 but reluctant sating that the distance would cause buffering. To me if the line is capable of nearly 6mbps having it provisioned to 1700is is way less then 50% capacity. After the changes and several links down the line remained locked to 1700 even though he stated it was for 2500. He eventually figured it out after calling up another tech bringing the rate back up to 3712.

All in all even though my issue was resolved I had to take extraordinary steps to get action. For this reason my ratings will remain extremely low. Because tech support refused to deal with me or issue a repair ticket (shifting the blame) the end result was wasted time and a bitter experience. Even the tech I spoke to seemed to think the issue was on my end after multiple cases that faulted hardware/setup on frontiers end. Every one of these could have been resolved If they listened to my advice and simply placed a repair ticket. As always except for one case (Tel-line was sliced) the connection issues resulted in failures on their hardware. It's really sad to see that a modem needed setup/programmed at the local office to even open a ticket. In the techs eyes I was/am always considered the lose link. That was until their hardware failed to connect! Only then did they realize the issue was real.

All in all if it wasn't for the executive office branch in frontier my internet would probably still be down. After being down four days I'm happy to get it back up without double routing. I solute (unnamed) because she took action again that got past the red tape. My apologies to her because I can't directly identify her under the BBR rules.

member for 11.4 years, 904 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by shoechew See Profile

• Location: Delray,Hampshire,WV
Good "I have nothing good to say about Frontier"
Bad "Over priced garbage. Lies."
Overall "Yes, Frontier is the very lowest bottom line."

»www.bbb.org/

»www.fcc.gov/complaints

»www.wvago.gov/publicresource.cfm

»www.psc.state.wv.us/complaints/default.htm

We have had Frontier just over a year and it has always been unacceptable. Over the past 2 months I have complained several times to Frontier, the BBB and the FCC. I guess they robbed from the rest of our neighborhood to give extra speed to us because lately our Speedtest results are twice as high as the neighbor's. Now Frontier insists there is nothing wrong with our connection and they act like I am lying when I tell them it STILL slows to a crawl in the evenings. Even IF the connection was stable and reliable, $45 for 1 meg would still be a huge ripoff and such overpricing should be criminal considering how slow it really is. We can't even go back to dial-up because Frontier will charge a ridiculous/per minute rate for data.

Comments:

Joe Dirt

@frontiernet.net

Frontier

I don't have any problems with Frontier. Speeds depend on the distance to the Dslam. We have 3meg here and most of the time its right around 3meg. The end of the summer it dropped down to 2meg but now that the kids are back in school things are back to normal.

Frontierbeer

@192.182.219.x

Frontier is OK - speeds usually as claimed

seems as if uploads are being compressed as of late - vpn to ADSL is barely usable - but usually getting the download speed advertised (3~5 Mbits down). Upload speed is another issue - should be 300k and best at this end has been 178k. Contacting customer service usually resolves lag/jitter/speed issues - for a time - then need to call again. VoIP on this line is marginal. The local tech is AWESOME tho - much better service calling the tech directly than putting in a trouble ticket. I can't imagine that TWC would be any better though - got us all over a barrel so for now it's the option that's available. (A captive market).

RogueJawa

join:2013-08-15
Canal Winchester, OH

Yep

I can sympathize.

I've been waiting for about 50 days for my install.

But they say I'll be good to go on 10/2. I hope so.