Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by Dyrnwyn See Profile

• Location: Blomkest,Kandiyohi,MN
Good "Field Techs."
Bad "Everything else - & just getting a field tech out is horrible."
Overall "If there's anything else available besides sat & dial-up, take it!"

6 years with Frontier, & nothing but trouble. They were the only broadband provider for our town until recently, & I will be changing. Only reason I've waited is because our landline phones are with them too, so I've built a PBX to take care of that issue, just need to finish tweaking it & it's bye-bye Frontier, hello MVTV.

Most recent complaint would be this past week, when most of the entire Frontier network went down, & it took 1 hour & 34 minutes with a phone tech & her supervisor to finally decide it wasn't just my computers & then sent a tech out to replace the modem. As soon as the modem was replaced, internet was back. No way in anybody's business that should have taken more than a few minutes, given the widespread problem (I called two hours after they told my wife's business that the entire state was down & they had over 80 calls at that point) (also, turns out they were down all over the country, not just MN), let alone more than 20 minutes!

Before that, one other major issue of the line being "grazed" a block away took 3 months to get fixed. The tech had to dig down through snow to get to the sliced wires. Had they heeded my complaints about the quality of service three months before, there wouldn't have been any snow, & I wouldn't have had such poor internet.

I could go on, I have several customers I do tech work for that "used" to be Frontier customers.

Look at their S&P stock downgrade last week to "negative". Not a company to do business with, let alone invest in. Get as far away from them as possible.

UPDATE: Managed to leave Frontier in the spring of 2013. They tried to pull the "you're still in contract" crap, so I told them they already breached the contract due to the poor quality and fraudulent speed claims (their techs informed me our area is governed to never go over 1.5, even though they bumped us up to the 6mb billing rate in October 2012).

Currently using BroadbandMN.com. They cost more, but for the most part, have been much more reliable, and the speeds over 80% of the time are as advertised. They lease from Charter - just wish I could actually get Charter.....

Comments:

Joe dirt

@frontiernet.net

hmm

Well your area is set up with VDSL and speeds around 12 meg or better.

Review by schipper See Profile

• Location: Nebo,Mcdowell,NC
Good "Not much, most of the people at the call center speak english, which is good because you will be calling them often."
Bad "It is constantly down. When it is working its slow, and they havn't improved the speeds in 3 years."
Overall "Go with any other provider if possible, even Sat if you can deal with the latency. "

I have had their service since they took over from Verizon and it has consistently gotten worse since that point. In the past year I haven't had a single month where it hasn't gone down at least once. Their support is completely useless as well, quoting as much as 9 days out for repair sometimes. When you do call in you almost always end up with someone reading off a script who is unable to do anything other then schedule an appointment for next week. All in all its the single worst service I have ever dealt with and I am selling my house just to get away from them.

Comments:

Review by aguypd See Profile

• Location: Silver Springs,Wyoming,NY
Good "First year is free"
Bad "We lose our connection every time it rains"
Overall "Switched back to RR"

(update 2013-06)There hasn't been any improvement in the service from Frontier. The latency still runs 60-70 ms and the bandwidth is still down around 3.5 Mbs on the 10 Mbs service.

(update 2012-11)Recently the Internet service seems to have degraded. The latency has increased to near 70 ms and the connection resets several times a day with a new IP address being issued each time.

(update 2010-09)I am still glad that I switched back to Road Runner. However, my mother still uses Frontier's DSL. She consistenly gets bandwidths around 3.5 Mbs on her 10 Mbs service. The latency is usually around 50 ms. It can be frustrating to work on the computers at her house and attempting to use the Internet, after getting used to Road Runner at home.

We decided to get rid of our telephone service with Frontier, too, and switch to Time Warner's Digital Phone. Frontier wanted to charge us $200 because they said we had entered into a 2 year contract with them for the Telephone service. The two years for the DSL when we had it, ended back in May of 2010, and we never agreed to a 2 year contract, so I guess they just automatically put us on one.

My wife called the service department and complained and the customer service representative, said that they would cancel the $200 charge.

(update)After continuously comparing bandwidth between my mom's dsl with Frontier and our Road Runner connection, the Road Runner connection is always about three times the bandwidth and less than half of the latency.

(update)My mother, who still has Frontier DSL, got hit by lightning. She called Frontier's customer service and told them that she lost the phones and DSL. The service tech came out and got the phones back online, but never checked the DSL. She had to call them again and finally drove an hour to one of their centers, to pick up a new modem.

(update)Forget trying to get anywhere with their customer service. If you tell them you have an issue, only when it is raining and the lines are wet, they will still send a technician the next day, even though the sun is shining and everything is dried out.

(update)Switched back to Road Runner after less than six months with Frontiernet. It was a mistake to ever switch to Frontiernet.

Switched from Time Warner's Road Runner to Frontiernet's 10M DSL with a new plan that the first year is free and the second year is only $30/month and a promise that the 10M was available to our house. This turned out to be a mistake

After having the service for almost a month, we had several problems and tech support was a 45 minute wait on the phone. Technicians came out the next day and found a problem between us and the CO. Our speeds, 3568/374, are better than they were yesterday, 503/260, but not as good as they had been, 4417/376. This definitely is not what they promised us, though.

Apparently, when it rains our connection is unstable. This is terrible. I guess I have to hope for a drought, so I can have a good connection. Because of the bad connections in the wet weather, Frontier keeps throttling back our speed, instead of fixing the actual problem. The latency has really tanked, too. We were getting a latency around 35 ms, but now we are over 80 ms.

Every time it rains, we can look forward to speeds around 500/200 and a latency over 100 ms. It is terrible.

Frontier has released their announcement on their caps, and our speed is down to 95/78 with a latency of 695 ms. Go figure.

After lying to us about the availability of 10M being available in our area and their position on net neutrality, I am not holding our breath about their honesty, that people in their price protection agreement, won't be capped, also.

member for 6.4 years, 2503 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dssidnt See Profile

• Location: Flushing,Belmont,OH
Bad "Unreliable. Sometimes the speed is tolerable, but then drops."
Overall "If you can avoid getting Frontier, please choose another way if possible."

I am in a rural area. When I called to inquire, they promised a guaranteed speed of 3Mbps. After installation I was lucky to barely get 1.5. They have improved a little bit as my speed is now about 2.5. I would like to switch to cable, but we live quite a way from the main cable line, so it is not an option, and satellite pricing is out of the question.

member for 3.6 years, 24 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Aznightfalls See Profile

• Location: Lake Havasu City,Mohave,AZ
Good "The local customer service people"
Bad "Speed."
Overall "Most times do not even get half the speed paying for."

Local office is great to deal with. The DL speed really bites. I have 6/1 and can only get 2.3/1 Which means Netflix locks, games dont play well. I am looking to change to wireless maybe, just not cable since they meter.

Comments:

Review by csmith

• Location: Concho,Apache,AZ

I don't know how I could possibly hate a ISP any more than I hate Frontier!

I not only am forced to have Frontier DSL at my residence... and pay for two DSL lines because they just can't provide me with enough speed to browse
the internet AND stream netflix or any other media outlet at the same time.

Also, I am in IT as a Managed Services Provider. I have problems with EVERY
SINGLE client that uses Frontier! I am not joking or exxagerating! Their service is abysmal! There have been several times that I have noticed ALL of
our customers in a geographic location lose their internet... only to call
Frontier and have them deny they are experiencing any outage in the area.
Every time without exception, I will remain on the call long enough for the
"outage notification" to reach their call center staff... usually after at
least 30 minutes of a whole section of NE Arizona being out... completely.
.. before their own engineers even know it! Sad,

If I had ANY other choice... I would happily tell them to stick it! I may have found a new Wi-Power provider that I will happily be moving to, without
a single second of care regarding the cost!

Frontier HAS to be the absolute WORST ISP out there. I simply cannot understand how they remain in business outside of their corner on the rural market.

Maddening!

(review was emailed from domain computertechnologiesllc.com)

Comments:

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

The absolute worst..

I wholeheartedly agree with your post. Frontier is the worst.
faxmachine

join:2005-07-20
Oakland, CA

Re: The absolute worst..

I'll agree with that. I've got to deal with Frontier in Middletown NY. Their speeds are abysmal and their tech support is poor at best.

Private

@rr.com

Former employee

Here's the 411 on frontier-it's a piece of shit company! They lie and are very sneaky bout adding extra charges on ur bill including the newest one Auto Migration. Anyone that was verizon and then frontier is now ur provider-u r going to get screwed. For example-when someone was with verizon and had phone and Internet with no contract-ur bill is going to start raising $6 on the Internet every month till it reaches the new price of either $34.99, 44.99 or Internet only customers with no contract (during verizon era) to 39.99 or 49.99. It depends on the area u live in for those prices and nothing u can do about it. Frontier doesn't want to pay for "grandfathered packages" anymore and they will lie and tell u frontier notified u but they didn't. It's on page 4 of ur bill-that was the notification. Next on my list-dsl service. Frontier states they can provide 15 to 25m service in ur area. Um that's a lie. When I would get calls bout that-I would call another dept to see if the area was capped and most of the time it was. Too much congestion is what they would say. Then I would ask the engineer to check for another central office location to hookup customers and they would always say "we r working on it". They don't give 2 shits about any of u only their dsl sales-that's it. It's like working in a prison with no windows and there r wardens everywhere waiting to whip u back into shape. It's horrible! U wanna know why I got fired-for telling the customer the truth bout their bill and why their dsl is so slow. I got tired of lying-I was raised better than that-everyday I went to hell and back and it's not worth it! One more thing-all u verizon customers who have or had 3 to 7m dsl-I would do a speed test-because I guarantee ur getting 1.5 and ur most likely paying for 3 or 7-even if u call in-the reps r only allowed to go back to 3 months for credit-so if u want more than that-a supervisor will help u with that.

Re: Former employee

it's 2013 (for me) I have had MIGRAINE headaches dealing with Frontiers CSR's one after another the list is LONG.. I FINALLY got of a supervisor & email address & asked for a copy of my original contract.. she said she would email me a copy of it.. NEVER got it! Another Rep gave me a reasonable credit.. & stayed on the phone while my bank transferred money to Frontiers online bill pay system.. It NEVER showed it as being paid.. Fortunately I have documentation for evry Rep I spoke with, their name's, which state they are located in & the conversation we had.. I have reference #'s, confirm#'s for my online billing (THAT THEY HAVE NO RECORD OF RECEIVING) I finally said to hell with it! DISCONNECT ME! I DONT CARE ABOUT THE CANCELLATION FEE!!! FUNNY, I am still getting monthly bills LOL for service I dont have at the price my contract was when I signed up! LMBO! This is June 12 2013 the end of my yearly contract... Got a bill for $400.00 just yesterday Lol Has anyone ever read the fine print in the contract/penalty etc etc? Toward the end, It says: in laymen terms that Frontier would rather settle your account issues than going to court.. REALLY? OTFLMBO I pointed that out to them & got transferred to someone else who said they were looking into it.. OMG! DAM they are good at passing the buck&avoiding the customer! U think they will avoid sending my account to collections? I DONT CARE! I'll pay it off in increments (something FRONTIER said they would do).. a 'deferred payment plan') But later said, sorry you dont qualify for that! Ha Ha Ha ADIOS FRONTIER!! EVERYTHING I have documented would drive someone INSANE! No more headaches though.. YAY ME!!!

Private

@rr.com

Re: Former employee

Yep that sounds like frontier. I would get so many calls bout that too. The process of any credit over 100 goes to a vp who then approves/disapproves-is how the process works. In my personal opinion-I know u r tired of calling back in-but if u have documentation of never signing a contract-they have to waive it. I did it many times for people. Good luck to you! Being fired is a "blessing in disguise"-I'm home with my children and my hubby-very happy.

Re: Former employee

Good for you! I'm glad that you are happy & have a clear conscience.. no, I'm not going to communicate with them any longer.. Iv ben battling Frontier w them for way too long...I took enough of my time to investigate their devious practices..have already talked to a supervisor that gave me a reasonable credit he confirmed that he got my payment from my bank while he stayed on the phone with me, he gave me a confirmation number and his email..Unfortunately my next billing didnt list this credit, neither did the next billing period, plus I got late charges for 3 months..I emailed this supervisor & he never emailed me back.. I had to laugh at the whole thing or continue to have Migraine headaches..

East Wenatchee, WA
A Supervisor in Florida (Ilive In WA State) gave me a reasonable credit to my account & stayed on the line while I cald my bank so I could pay online.. he said it went through asked if I was happy with that credit & gave me his email address.. when the bill came (NO CREDIT) plus late charges for 3 months..I cald & asked any of the rep'sif they could get ahold of him &they said that they emailed him & NO RESPONSE..Icancelled my service..I dont care about the cancellation charges..I talked to every rep in the U.S. and 1 in South America..get this.. I received in the mail a letter saying I am late on my bill.. it wasnt even a Frontier billing statement a letter unsigned..AND even after FRONTIER & I agreed to OPT OUT of paper statements for online billing BECAUSE it would be less costly..IM DONE w/FRONTIER! GOOD RIDDENCE!
jojomojo6969

join:2013-06-13
Albany, NY

to csmith in concho

hello, i just bought a lot in a subdivision in concho and your review of frontier made me ill. the broadband max option they offer is poor too? do you have an opinion of the broadband blue cell tower internet ? are there any improvements expected in the area you may be familiar with?, thank you

Review by skidmarks7 See Profile

• Location: Unityville,Lycoming,PA
Good "They try to fix issues"
Bad "Poor Service for the cost"
Overall "No choice when they are the only name in the game"

Have the 6M down plan. Modem is set to 3.7M so the best that can happen is 3.7. Unfortunately I have never seen speeds out of the 2M down range since I started the service. Was talked into the "free" second connect line (was told it would be bonded). Its not. So I have a dry pair that I attempted to bridge with some equipment that I own with my primary DSL. The speeds are SO poor I could not bridge them to improve my situation. As soon the as sun goes down my 2M speed drops to anywhere from .2 to .5 M down! Ping rates day or night are awful... 200 to 800ms from the first hop out from my house. Frontier is not interested in hearing the word latency or Ping rates. They ignore you when you start to try and discuss these numbers. I have had 20 trouble tickets cleared over a 3 month period... The local Telco guys told me it was a congested area, the frontier customer support said it was not. Finally customer support has my area listed in the congested area (no help with getting the speeds that we pay for, but at least it is a small victory that they admit it to be a congested area now).

The connection reliability is fine... but the speeds are not what I pay for nd most nights I could get out my 56K modem and achieve better speeds!

Guess the bottom line is I live in the sticks, frontier is the only name in the game. In my opinion they are not going to put money into remote locations to improve service, but still bill you at a extremely high rate for the crappy service (speeds). The local Telco guys are great, but obviously they don't write the checks to pay for upgrades...

Comments:

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

Sticks?

I live in a city, but was on the edge of their service area. Could not get anything above 3megs. They wouldn't do anything about it and probably still haven't. Thank goodness for Fiber. Dropped stinkin' Frontier in a heartbeat.

Review by OSIU See Profile

• Location: Medina,Medina,OH
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "?"
Bad "Good luck with support and trying to get someone to fix it if you have a problem."
Overall "Beats satellite"

·Armstrong Zoom ..
Update 5/7/13:

Well, Armstrong Zoom has been pretty solid and no complaints here. More speed for the same money....... Good bye Frontier!

Update 4/17/13:

Finally fixed after a week! Gave me a new Netgear 7500 DSL modem/ gateway. Going to give cable a try and will cancel the weakest link.

Update 4/15/13:

Internet went down Wednesday morning (4/10) around 7 AM (I was using it at the time). Called support and they said they would have it fixed by 5 PM 4/11. Apparently there was an issue in the DSLAM and nothing wrong with my equipment. Morning of 4/11 arrived and they called and left a voicemail indicating they were running a little behind and would have it fixed by 5 PM 4/12. Called support around 5:30 PM 4/12 and they escalated it and it would be fixed 4/13. Called 7:30 PM 4/13 and now they weren't giving me an ETA of fixing. I said okay and promptly scheduled an cable internet hookup on Friday 4/19. Goodbye Frontier. Mismanagement into bankruptcy anyone?

*************************************************************************************This is my review of Frontier DSL after the transition from Verizon. See »Review of Verizon Online DSL by OSIU for my Verizon DSL review.

Speed (3/?) stayed the same and service has been consistent without any outages that I have noticed.

Frontier has cooked up some new packages and prices since the switch from Verizon. I was also notified that my area had been updated with the ADSL2+ technology and they are offering 6M and 12 M plans in my area, which are certainly under consideration as well. I am in the process of evaluating them and making a change. An edit will appear when I finally decide which way to go.

member for 10.9 years, 1732 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

isp10002

join:2012-10-24
·Frontier Communi..
·Dish Network
·Verizon Wireless..

Dsl

Hi i actually live not far from you and have frontier dsl as well. The highest i can get is 3 mbps, also the upload speed is 768k if you dident know. This service has been good for me. Frontier services the medina/Wayne area, No body can give you an estimate of when dsl service will be back up so dont count on the date they give you.

Review by Terroriffic See Profile

• Location: Houlka,Chickasaw,MS
Good "Best option where I live."
Bad "Not nearly the connection I'm paying for."
Overall "Disappointment all around."

I've been getting DSL from Frontier in Houlka, MS for about 3 years now, started as a 1Mbps down/128k Up then a while back they upped it to 2.5 down/256k up and I was really happy with that for a while.(In comparison to the satellite we used to have)
However, For a couple of months now, I've had constant trouble with huge decreases in speed and even frequent disconnects on some days. I've called Support and technicians have come multiple times, still with no improvement.
When everything is okay my ping stays around 105ms, which i feel should be faster anyway, but as of late it's been upwards of 200-300ms with huge amounts of jitter while download speed has been more than halved.
It's absolutely dreadful and the techs and support reps seem to have no idea why it happens :/
Hope to see something resolved soon.

Picture below of my speedtest from just before writing this.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2686244524.png

• Location: Hillsboro,Washington,OR
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Sometimes the tec. rep has nice voice"
Bad "See star ratings"
Overall "Money thrown a way"

Frontier DSL connection in our NE Brogden St neighborhood is like tired old
wet dog in a freezing night. Old dial up modem is sometimes faster then t
heir DSL. Same goes with Frontier customer service. If you enjoy mental torture, just call them.

(review was emailed from domain msn.com)