Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by skidmarks See Profile

• Location: Unityville,Lycoming,PA
Good "They try to fix issues"
Bad "Poor Service for the cost"
Overall "No choice when they are the only name in the game"

Have the 6M down plan. Modem is set to 3.7M so the best that can happen is 3.7. Unfortunately I have never seen speeds out of the 2M down range since I started the service. Was talked into the "free" second connect line (was told it would be bonded). Its not. So I have a dry pair that I attempted to bridge with some equipment that I own with my primary DSL. The speeds are SO poor I could not bridge them to improve my situation. As soon the as sun goes down my 2M speed drops to anywhere from .2 to .5 M down! Ping rates day or night are awful... 200 to 800ms from the first hop out from my house. Frontier is not interested in hearing the word latency or Ping rates. They ignore you when you start to try and discuss these numbers. I have had 20 trouble tickets cleared over a 3 month period... The local Telco guys told me it was a congested area, the frontier customer support said it was not. Finally customer support has my area listed in the congested area (no help with getting the speeds that we pay for, but at least it is a small victory that they admit it to be a congested area now).

The connection reliability is fine... but the speeds are not what I pay for nd most nights I could get out my 56K modem and achieve better speeds!

Guess the bottom line is I live in the sticks, frontier is the only name in the game. In my opinion they are not going to put money into remote locations to improve service, but still bill you at a extremely high rate for the crappy service (speeds). The local Telco guys are great, but obviously they don't write the checks to pay for upgrades...

Comments:

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

Sticks?

I live in a city, but was on the edge of their service area. Could not get anything above 3megs. They wouldn't do anything about it and probably still haven't. Thank goodness for Fiber. Dropped stinkin' Frontier in a heartbeat.

Review by OSIU See Profile

• Location: Medina,Medina,OH
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "?"
Bad "Good luck with support and trying to get someone to fix it if you have a problem."
Overall "Beats satellite"

·Armstrong Zoom ..
Update 5/7/13:

Well, Armstrong Zoom has been pretty solid and no complaints here. More speed for the same money....... Good bye Frontier!

Update 4/17/13:

Finally fixed after a week! Gave me a new Netgear 7500 DSL modem/ gateway. Going to give cable a try and will cancel the weakest link.

Update 4/15/13:

Internet went down Wednesday morning (4/10) around 7 AM (I was using it at the time). Called support and they said they would have it fixed by 5 PM 4/11. Apparently there was an issue in the DSLAM and nothing wrong with my equipment. Morning of 4/11 arrived and they called and left a voicemail indicating they were running a little behind and would have it fixed by 5 PM 4/12. Called support around 5:30 PM 4/12 and they escalated it and it would be fixed 4/13. Called 7:30 PM 4/13 and now they weren't giving me an ETA of fixing. I said okay and promptly scheduled an cable internet hookup on Friday 4/19. Goodbye Frontier. Mismanagement into bankruptcy anyone?

*************************************************************************************This is my review of Frontier DSL after the transition from Verizon. See »Review of Verizon Online DSL by OSIU for my Verizon DSL review.

Speed (3/?) stayed the same and service has been consistent without any outages that I have noticed.

Frontier has cooked up some new packages and prices since the switch from Verizon. I was also notified that my area had been updated with the ADSL2+ technology and they are offering 6M and 12 M plans in my area, which are certainly under consideration as well. I am in the process of evaluating them and making a change. An edit will appear when I finally decide which way to go.

Comments:

isp10002

join:2012-10-24
·Frontier Communi..
·Dish Network
·Verizon Wireless..

Dsl

Hi i actually live not far from you and have frontier dsl as well. The highest i can get is 3 mbps, also the upload speed is 768k if you dident know. This service has been good for me. Frontier services the medina/Wayne area, No body can give you an estimate of when dsl service will be back up so dont count on the date they give you.

Review by Terroriffic See Profile

• Location: Houlka,Chickasaw,MS
Good "Best option where I live."
Bad "Not nearly the connection I'm paying for."
Overall "Disappointment all around."

I've been getting DSL from Frontier in Houlka, MS for about 3 years now, started as a 1Mbps down/128k Up then a while back they upped it to 2.5 down/256k up and I was really happy with that for a while.(In comparison to the satellite we used to have)
However, For a couple of months now, I've had constant trouble with huge decreases in speed and even frequent disconnects on some days. I've called Support and technicians have come multiple times, still with no improvement.
When everything is okay my ping stays around 105ms, which i feel should be faster anyway, but as of late it's been upwards of 200-300ms with huge amounts of jitter while download speed has been more than halved.
It's absolutely dreadful and the techs and support reps seem to have no idea why it happens :/
Hope to see something resolved soon.

Picture below of my speedtest from just before writing this.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2686244524.png

• Location: Hillsboro,Washington,OR
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Sometimes the tec. rep has nice voice"
Bad "See star ratings"
Overall "Money thrown a way"

Frontier DSL connection in our NE Brogden St neighborhood is like tired old
wet dog in a freezing night. Old dial up modem is sometimes faster then t
heir DSL. Same goes with Frontier customer service. If you enjoy mental torture, just call them.

(review was emailed from domain msn.com)

Comments:

Review by DurhamDanger See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Local Tech Support are Great"
Bad "Oversold DSL leads to speeds LESS THAN Dialup"
Overall "$5 credit off bill still does not help crappy speeds"

·Earthlink Cable ..
I was one of those many people who had Verizon before they sold Durham to Frontier. The sale was years in planning during which time Verizon ran Durham into the ground. On the switch to Frontier my network immediately bottomed out. However the field engineers and local techs worked through the issues and fixed my 3Mbps/768kbps to acceptable speeds hovering around 2.5 Mbps.

Until last week that is...we have been experiencing terribly crappy speeds during the evening hours and just plain crappy speeds during the day. We've even had network disconnections happen now. My last speed tests are now showing horrific speeds of 168kbps down. That is even crappy for dial-up!

When consulting with the technician, she admitted Durham has been over-subscribed in DSL and they don't expect to have it completely fixed until June 2013. Sending me over to customer support, they could only offer me a $5 credit for six months. That's five dollars off unusable service? It's like handing a company money for absolutely nothing.

I was supposed to get a call from the local technical manager to either explain the issue and do something about it or offer up something else. Nope. No call today.

I am having to move to another service (most likely Earthlink cable) to get the Internet back into my house.

Comments:
TBBroadband

·MegaPath

Elink

Elink is just resold TWC. You will still have to deal 100% with TWC for everything, install, billing and basically support. And if Elink can't fix the problem on the phone, they will send you a tech. Also Elink does not have access to most D3 plans. So you'll be stuck with what TWC gives them.
DurhamDanger

join:2013-03-13
Durham, NC
·Earthlink Cable ..
·Frontier Communi..

Re: Elink

Oh I pretty much knew Earthy would be riding on TWC cables as TWC and Frontier are the only choices for Durham.

Makes me want to smack our Mayor Bill Bell for getting us into this mess and then I remember it's the city council that has the real power here.

Right now I'm just looking for cheapest connection until this town breaks the law and puts together a municipal line.

Review by smtfish See Profile

• Location: Shepherdstown,Jefferson,WV
Good "pleasant employees, sometimes helpful, always professional"
Bad "inefficient bureaucracy, *!# yahoo ad-laden webmail, slow dsl offerings, monopoly"
Overall "love-hate relationship with the new/old Frontier"

At my home office, I have the only DSL speed supposedly offered in my area which is 2.5 mbps down, 512 up. (There used to be multi-tiered offerings but when I inquired I was told I only have one option). I've been a customer with Frontier both on the business side (POTS,T-1,metro-e,PRI) and their residential side (POTS, DSL) for over 15 years. I oversee services which total over $1400/month to Frontier.

I abhor their sales/marketing function. As a customer, I get constant mailings to buy services I already have, while at the same time being exhorted to go green with electronic statements. Physical statements often have ads selling junk for 3rd party services. Their sales technique to a captive audience in what is essentially a monopoly market is ineffective at best- irritating at worst. Having been a long-time customer, my irritation with Frontier continues to escalate over time. In addition to their snail mailings their current Yahoo web-mail is laden with cr@pvertising, C'mon I'm a paying customer. If there was another option for combined phone+internet I'd jump ship in a heartbeat.

Frontier is a multi-headed monster. I've been transferred between as many as four agents in a circular loop. I've signed contracts for services that took 6+ months to install (still in process). After the sale is made - don't expect the salesperson to call back if there is trouble. Where's the accountability?

Frontier has many gems in its technical support staff if you can get to the 2nd tier support or talk to people actually making the repairs. They are pleasant, intelligent, stay on the problem until it is resolved, and followup.

One problem I've noticed is that the support functions are divided by specialty (by necessity) but they often don't talk to each other. As a result diagnosis is often slow and sometimes the first response is along the lines of "we can't see a problem, it must be on your end" or "are you willing to accept any fees before we come out" Jeez, I thought you were the experts. In a world where network testers can tell me a line break is 50 ft away, I still don't understand why their troubleshooting tools seem to be lacking. This is both a technology and a management issue. Focus here first- not on your marketing. There once was a time after a recurring number of failures with Frontier, that I had a dedicated rep - amazingly all the problems and frustrations seemed to vanish almost instantly. Sadly that hasn't been the case for some time now

Frontier executives, please sit in on a support ticket from beginning to end. To truly understand the magnitude of your inefficiency, don't interfere in the process because then you won't see all the circular loops and hoops your customers are jumping through.

Frontier, cut your sales and marketing budget, streamline your support processes and use the money you save to improve your infrastructure in WV, improve your internet offerings to be competitive with Comcast, and get rid of the yahoo mail for residential customers. . . Then perhaps instead of deterring other people from signing up for your services, I will actually recommend you.

update 2013Mar6. I still stand by my original review but I will mention on the plus side I was able to increase my speeds to roughly 6 mbps down/768 kbps up. That said, they seem to be severely bandwidth constrained at their Charles Town, Central Office especially during the evenings. Heck, they even admit it on their speedtest.frontiernet.net webpage. I've been with them so long, I probably could be described as tel-codependent.

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Off topic.

What does TDS telecom have to do with this review? Don't spam the forum.

Re: Off topic.

trying to sell TDS's service in other areas??? They are a CLEC as well.

Yahoo! Mail

If you don't like the Yahoo! Webmail why use it? Why not go else where to obtain your own domain and host it some where?

Review by Gentoo See Profile

• Location: Carbondale,Jackson,IL
Good "Good off peak speeds and not much else"
Bad "Extremely High ping, Congestion, and Horrible tech support."
Overall "Oversold network, It's just not worth it."

·Mediacom
I signed up for frontiers 3Mbps/0.750Mbps Dry line DSL package for $40 a month plus a $5 modem rental fee. When we signed up they told us it would be on in 1-2 days. That never happened, we ended up waiting about 3 weeks with multiple calls to frontier wandering what the hell was going on. I'm not sure if there was a legitimate problem or that they just don't care.

Were I live frontier seems to suffer extreme congestion problems, starting at noon my speed slowly drop then about 7-10 it just dies completely with downloads as slow as 0.10Mbps. Then at midnight my speeds skyrocket to a constant 2.8Mbps. Overall I'm not very pleased and living in rural southern Illinois, I won't be seeing any upgrades for a long time.

I am no longer a Frontier Customer.

Comments:

Polmood

@direcway.com

Phone and internet service and customer service

I live in Berkeley Springs Wv and the only service available to me is Frontier and they are terrible. I have struggled with them since November trying to get my internet to work and my phone bill correct. They have over charged my for several months and never can get anything resolved. The internet only works half the time. I have searched for other companies and Froniter is the only one in our area. I would give them a F for service teh support and customer service. I did look up the Better Business and they dont meet the requirments so what does that tell you.

MadatFrontie

@frontiernet.net

Re: Phone and internet service and customer service

Here in Utah they massively over sold their network in my area I called tech because they told me 6 months ago they would fix it anyway the tech guy that came out told me they had sold to over 180 homes and they only had 6 t-1 lines to run all of us and they wouldn't get any more until the weather was better Horrid you should fix lines then sell to customers they also told most new people they would get speeds up to 25mbit when they will never ever be able to offer more then maybe 3 with the new lines they are putting in

Review by brkr19 See Profile

• Location: Genoa,Dekalb,IL
Bad "Very slow and costs as much as Comcast"

Slow speed. Called tech suppt of course the speed test says 1.5mb/sec but thats not what I get when I download and the browsing is slow too. Tech suppt says "not our problem".

Comments:

Review by SteveJobs See Profile

• Location: Flanagan,Livingston,IL
Good " Always on"
Bad "Slow speeds"
Overall "Good for people that need always on internet"

To note, the zip code i entered is a town that is in my county, as I do not want to give my exact location.

We used to be with Verizon, before frontier bought them out and we have seen a great increase in service. We have always been on the 1.5mbps tier until June of this year, when we upgraded to their 3mbps plan. It has been pretty well, my parents reporting that the computer that is bridged via LAN from the router said they have had more problems, but i do not believe them. The extra bandwidth was appreciated, however not enough. The cost is extremely expensive for what we get, as we can get 15mbps on Mediacom for 10 bucks a month. We are unfortunatly locked into a contract, so we can not leave. However, I am severely frustrated at them, as a rural town down the road gets 7mbps internet, while our max is 3. And we live in a much larger town then the town that gets 7mbps. And they have had it before the bonded DSL was announced, also. I see all of these awful stories with frontier, but we have had no issues. The support has always been helpful. I do not like how they charge $85 if the tech steps foot in your home.

We also have our phone service bundled with this, That is 30 bucks a month, We have no complaints here.

I see great potental in frontier once their bonded dsl becomes fully deployed.

Comments:

Review by nate155 See Profile

• Location: Delta,Millard,UT
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Not much choice..."

We have had Frontier internet for a number of years and like clock work since we have had them can almost guarantee I will have a high latency from 4 pm to 11 pm and all day on Sundays and Saturdays and holidays and im not talking about 150-200 ms I am talking 350-2000 ms they told me 2 months ago they were working on the problem. come to find out they over sold service and they cant support the number of users they have on. not only that their upload speed is capped at 23KBS download avg goes about 110KBS late at night might get 140-150 KBS we were sold as it being a 3mibt connection but I was told the line can't support it though how it can suppose an insane amount of users I don't know they say they have no plan to increase peoples speeds even though a cable company is moving in in 2014-2015 that will offer most users in Town 25mibit for same price If I was in the main 84624 Area I would not sign a contract with this company as I'd wait for cable or go with the wireless alternative

member for 7.8 years, 20 visits, last login: 1 year ago