Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by Aznightfalls See Profile

• Location: Lake Havasu City,Mohave,AZ
Good "The local customer service people"
Bad "Speed."
Overall "Most times do not even get half the speed paying for."

Local office is great to deal with. The DL speed really bites. I have 6/1 and can only get 2.3/1 Which means Netflix locks, games dont play well. I am looking to change to wireless maybe, just not cable since they meter.

Comments:

Review by csmith

• Location: Concho,Apache,AZ

I don't know how I could possibly hate a ISP any more than I hate Frontier!

I not only am forced to have Frontier DSL at my residence... and pay for two DSL lines because they just can't provide me with enough speed to browse
the internet AND stream netflix or any other media outlet at the same time.

Also, I am in IT as a Managed Services Provider. I have problems with EVERY
SINGLE client that uses Frontier! I am not joking or exxagerating! Their service is abysmal! There have been several times that I have noticed ALL of
our customers in a geographic location lose their internet... only to call
Frontier and have them deny they are experiencing any outage in the area.
Every time without exception, I will remain on the call long enough for the
"outage notification" to reach their call center staff... usually after at
least 30 minutes of a whole section of NE Arizona being out... completely.
.. before their own engineers even know it! Sad,

If I had ANY other choice... I would happily tell them to stick it! I may have found a new Wi-Power provider that I will happily be moving to, without
a single second of care regarding the cost!

Frontier HAS to be the absolute WORST ISP out there. I simply cannot understand how they remain in business outside of their corner on the rural market.

Maddening!

(review was emailed from domain computertechnologiesllc.com)

Comments:

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

The absolute worst..

I wholeheartedly agree with your post. Frontier is the worst.
faxmachine

join:2005-07-20
Oakland, CA

Re: The absolute worst..

I'll agree with that. I've got to deal with Frontier in Middletown NY. Their speeds are abysmal and their tech support is poor at best.

Private

@rr.com

Former employee

Here's the 411 on frontier-it's a piece of shit company! They lie and are very sneaky bout adding extra charges on ur bill including the newest one Auto Migration. Anyone that was verizon and then frontier is now ur provider-u r going to get screwed. For example-when someone was with verizon and had phone and Internet with no contract-ur bill is going to start raising $6 on the Internet every month till it reaches the new price of either $34.99, 44.99 or Internet only customers with no contract (during verizon era) to 39.99 or 49.99. It depends on the area u live in for those prices and nothing u can do about it. Frontier doesn't want to pay for "grandfathered packages" anymore and they will lie and tell u frontier notified u but they didn't. It's on page 4 of ur bill-that was the notification. Next on my list-dsl service. Frontier states they can provide 15 to 25m service in ur area. Um that's a lie. When I would get calls bout that-I would call another dept to see if the area was capped and most of the time it was. Too much congestion is what they would say. Then I would ask the engineer to check for another central office location to hookup customers and they would always say "we r working on it". They don't give 2 shits about any of u only their dsl sales-that's it. It's like working in a prison with no windows and there r wardens everywhere waiting to whip u back into shape. It's horrible! U wanna know why I got fired-for telling the customer the truth bout their bill and why their dsl is so slow. I got tired of lying-I was raised better than that-everyday I went to hell and back and it's not worth it! One more thing-all u verizon customers who have or had 3 to 7m dsl-I would do a speed test-because I guarantee ur getting 1.5 and ur most likely paying for 3 or 7-even if u call in-the reps r only allowed to go back to 3 months for credit-so if u want more than that-a supervisor will help u with that.

Re: Former employee

it's 2013 (for me) I have had MIGRAINE headaches dealing with Frontiers CSR's one after another the list is LONG.. I FINALLY got of a supervisor & email address & asked for a copy of my original contract.. she said she would email me a copy of it.. NEVER got it! Another Rep gave me a reasonable credit.. & stayed on the phone while my bank transferred money to Frontiers online bill pay system.. It NEVER showed it as being paid.. Fortunately I have documentation for evry Rep I spoke with, their name's, which state they are located in & the conversation we had.. I have reference #'s, confirm#'s for my online billing (THAT THEY HAVE NO RECORD OF RECEIVING) I finally said to hell with it! DISCONNECT ME! I DONT CARE ABOUT THE CANCELLATION FEE!!! FUNNY, I am still getting monthly bills LOL for service I dont have at the price my contract was when I signed up! LMBO! This is June 12 2013 the end of my yearly contract... Got a bill for $400.00 just yesterday Lol Has anyone ever read the fine print in the contract/penalty etc etc? Toward the end, It says: in laymen terms that Frontier would rather settle your account issues than going to court.. REALLY? OTFLMBO I pointed that out to them & got transferred to someone else who said they were looking into it.. OMG! DAM they are good at passing the buck&avoiding the customer! U think they will avoid sending my account to collections? I DONT CARE! I'll pay it off in increments (something FRONTIER said they would do).. a 'deferred payment plan') But later said, sorry you dont qualify for that! Ha Ha Ha ADIOS FRONTIER!! EVERYTHING I have documented would drive someone INSANE! No more headaches though.. YAY ME!!!

Private

@rr.com

Re: Former employee

Yep that sounds like frontier. I would get so many calls bout that too. The process of any credit over 100 goes to a vp who then approves/disapproves-is how the process works. In my personal opinion-I know u r tired of calling back in-but if u have documentation of never signing a contract-they have to waive it. I did it many times for people. Good luck to you! Being fired is a "blessing in disguise"-I'm home with my children and my hubby-very happy.

Re: Former employee

Good for you! I'm glad that you are happy & have a clear conscience.. no, I'm not going to communicate with them any longer.. Iv ben battling Frontier w them for way too long...I took enough of my time to investigate their devious practices..have already talked to a supervisor that gave me a reasonable credit he confirmed that he got my payment from my bank while he stayed on the phone with me, he gave me a confirmation number and his email..Unfortunately my next billing didnt list this credit, neither did the next billing period, plus I got late charges for 3 months..I emailed this supervisor & he never emailed me back.. I had to laugh at the whole thing or continue to have Migraine headaches..

East Wenatchee, WA
A Supervisor in Florida (Ilive In WA State) gave me a reasonable credit to my account & stayed on the line while I cald my bank so I could pay online.. he said it went through asked if I was happy with that credit & gave me his email address.. when the bill came (NO CREDIT) plus late charges for 3 months..I cald & asked any of the rep'sif they could get ahold of him &they said that they emailed him & NO RESPONSE..Icancelled my service..I dont care about the cancellation charges..I talked to every rep in the U.S. and 1 in South America..get this.. I received in the mail a letter saying I am late on my bill.. it wasnt even a Frontier billing statement a letter unsigned..AND even after FRONTIER & I agreed to OPT OUT of paper statements for online billing BECAUSE it would be less costly..IM DONE w/FRONTIER! GOOD RIDDENCE!
jojomojo6969

join:2013-06-13
Albany, NY

to csmith in concho

hello, i just bought a lot in a subdivision in concho and your review of frontier made me ill. the broadband max option they offer is poor too? do you have an opinion of the broadband blue cell tower internet ? are there any improvements expected in the area you may be familiar with?, thank you

Review by skidmarks See Profile

• Location: Unityville,Lycoming,PA
Good "They try to fix issues"
Bad "Poor Service for the cost"
Overall "No choice when they are the only name in the game"

Have the 6M down plan. Modem is set to 3.7M so the best that can happen is 3.7. Unfortunately I have never seen speeds out of the 2M down range since I started the service. Was talked into the "free" second connect line (was told it would be bonded). Its not. So I have a dry pair that I attempted to bridge with some equipment that I own with my primary DSL. The speeds are SO poor I could not bridge them to improve my situation. As soon the as sun goes down my 2M speed drops to anywhere from .2 to .5 M down! Ping rates day or night are awful... 200 to 800ms from the first hop out from my house. Frontier is not interested in hearing the word latency or Ping rates. They ignore you when you start to try and discuss these numbers. I have had 20 trouble tickets cleared over a 3 month period... The local Telco guys told me it was a congested area, the frontier customer support said it was not. Finally customer support has my area listed in the congested area (no help with getting the speeds that we pay for, but at least it is a small victory that they admit it to be a congested area now).

The connection reliability is fine... but the speeds are not what I pay for nd most nights I could get out my 56K modem and achieve better speeds!

Guess the bottom line is I live in the sticks, frontier is the only name in the game. In my opinion they are not going to put money into remote locations to improve service, but still bill you at a extremely high rate for the crappy service (speeds). The local Telco guys are great, but obviously they don't write the checks to pay for upgrades...

Comments:

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

Sticks?

I live in a city, but was on the edge of their service area. Could not get anything above 3megs. They wouldn't do anything about it and probably still haven't. Thank goodness for Fiber. Dropped stinkin' Frontier in a heartbeat.

Review by OSIU See Profile

• Location: Medina,Medina,OH
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "?"
Bad "Good luck with support and trying to get someone to fix it if you have a problem."
Overall "Beats satellite"

·Armstrong Zoom ..
Update 5/7/13:

Well, Armstrong Zoom has been pretty solid and no complaints here. More speed for the same money....... Good bye Frontier!

Update 4/17/13:

Finally fixed after a week! Gave me a new Netgear 7500 DSL modem/ gateway. Going to give cable a try and will cancel the weakest link.

Update 4/15/13:

Internet went down Wednesday morning (4/10) around 7 AM (I was using it at the time). Called support and they said they would have it fixed by 5 PM 4/11. Apparently there was an issue in the DSLAM and nothing wrong with my equipment. Morning of 4/11 arrived and they called and left a voicemail indicating they were running a little behind and would have it fixed by 5 PM 4/12. Called support around 5:30 PM 4/12 and they escalated it and it would be fixed 4/13. Called 7:30 PM 4/13 and now they weren't giving me an ETA of fixing. I said okay and promptly scheduled an cable internet hookup on Friday 4/19. Goodbye Frontier. Mismanagement into bankruptcy anyone?

*************************************************************************************This is my review of Frontier DSL after the transition from Verizon. See »Review of Verizon Online DSL by OSIU for my Verizon DSL review.

Speed (3/?) stayed the same and service has been consistent without any outages that I have noticed.

Frontier has cooked up some new packages and prices since the switch from Verizon. I was also notified that my area had been updated with the ADSL2+ technology and they are offering 6M and 12 M plans in my area, which are certainly under consideration as well. I am in the process of evaluating them and making a change. An edit will appear when I finally decide which way to go.

Comments:

isp10002

join:2012-10-24
·Frontier Communi..
·Dish Network
·Verizon Wireless..

Dsl

Hi i actually live not far from you and have frontier dsl as well. The highest i can get is 3 mbps, also the upload speed is 768k if you dident know. This service has been good for me. Frontier services the medina/Wayne area, No body can give you an estimate of when dsl service will be back up so dont count on the date they give you.

Review by Terroriffic See Profile

• Location: Houlka,Chickasaw,MS
Good "Best option where I live."
Bad "Not nearly the connection I'm paying for."
Overall "Disappointment all around."

I've been getting DSL from Frontier in Houlka, MS for about 3 years now, started as a 1Mbps down/128k Up then a while back they upped it to 2.5 down/256k up and I was really happy with that for a while.(In comparison to the satellite we used to have)
However, For a couple of months now, I've had constant trouble with huge decreases in speed and even frequent disconnects on some days. I've called Support and technicians have come multiple times, still with no improvement.
When everything is okay my ping stays around 105ms, which i feel should be faster anyway, but as of late it's been upwards of 200-300ms with huge amounts of jitter while download speed has been more than halved.
It's absolutely dreadful and the techs and support reps seem to have no idea why it happens :/
Hope to see something resolved soon.

Picture below of my speedtest from just before writing this.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2686244524.png

• Location: Hillsboro,Washington,OR
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Sometimes the tec. rep has nice voice"
Bad "See star ratings"
Overall "Money thrown a way"

Frontier DSL connection in our NE Brogden St neighborhood is like tired old
wet dog in a freezing night. Old dial up modem is sometimes faster then t
heir DSL. Same goes with Frontier customer service. If you enjoy mental torture, just call them.

(review was emailed from domain msn.com)

Comments:

Review by DurhamDanger See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Local Tech Support are Great"
Bad "Oversold DSL leads to speeds LESS THAN Dialup"
Overall "$5 credit off bill still does not help crappy speeds"

·Earthlink Cable ..
I was one of those many people who had Verizon before they sold Durham to Frontier. The sale was years in planning during which time Verizon ran Durham into the ground. On the switch to Frontier my network immediately bottomed out. However the field engineers and local techs worked through the issues and fixed my 3Mbps/768kbps to acceptable speeds hovering around 2.5 Mbps.

Until last week that is...we have been experiencing terribly crappy speeds during the evening hours and just plain crappy speeds during the day. We've even had network disconnections happen now. My last speed tests are now showing horrific speeds of 168kbps down. That is even crappy for dial-up!

When consulting with the technician, she admitted Durham has been over-subscribed in DSL and they don't expect to have it completely fixed until June 2013. Sending me over to customer support, they could only offer me a $5 credit for six months. That's five dollars off unusable service? It's like handing a company money for absolutely nothing.

I was supposed to get a call from the local technical manager to either explain the issue and do something about it or offer up something else. Nope. No call today.

I am having to move to another service (most likely Earthlink cable) to get the Internet back into my house.

Comments:
TBBroadband

·MegaPath

Elink

Elink is just resold TWC. You will still have to deal 100% with TWC for everything, install, billing and basically support. And if Elink can't fix the problem on the phone, they will send you a tech. Also Elink does not have access to most D3 plans. So you'll be stuck with what TWC gives them.
DurhamDanger

join:2013-03-13
Durham, NC
·Earthlink Cable ..
·Frontier Communi..

Re: Elink

Oh I pretty much knew Earthy would be riding on TWC cables as TWC and Frontier are the only choices for Durham.

Makes me want to smack our Mayor Bill Bell for getting us into this mess and then I remember it's the city council that has the real power here.

Right now I'm just looking for cheapest connection until this town breaks the law and puts together a municipal line.

Review by smtfish See Profile

• Location: Shepherdstown,Jefferson,WV
Good "pleasant employees, sometimes helpful, always professional"
Bad "inefficient bureaucracy, *!# yahoo ad-laden webmail, slow dsl offerings, monopoly"
Overall "love-hate relationship with the new/old Frontier"

At my home office, I have the only DSL speed supposedly offered in my area which is 2.5 mbps down, 512 up. (There used to be multi-tiered offerings but when I inquired I was told I only have one option). I've been a customer with Frontier both on the business side (POTS,T-1,metro-e,PRI) and their residential side (POTS, DSL) for over 15 years. I oversee services which total over $1400/month to Frontier.

I abhor their sales/marketing function. As a customer, I get constant mailings to buy services I already have, while at the same time being exhorted to go green with electronic statements. Physical statements often have ads selling junk for 3rd party services. Their sales technique to a captive audience in what is essentially a monopoly market is ineffective at best- irritating at worst. Having been a long-time customer, my irritation with Frontier continues to escalate over time. In addition to their snail mailings their current Yahoo web-mail is laden with cr@pvertising, C'mon I'm a paying customer. If there was another option for combined phone+internet I'd jump ship in a heartbeat.

Frontier is a multi-headed monster. I've been transferred between as many as four agents in a circular loop. I've signed contracts for services that took 6+ months to install (still in process). After the sale is made - don't expect the salesperson to call back if there is trouble. Where's the accountability?

Frontier has many gems in its technical support staff if you can get to the 2nd tier support or talk to people actually making the repairs. They are pleasant, intelligent, stay on the problem until it is resolved, and followup.

One problem I've noticed is that the support functions are divided by specialty (by necessity) but they often don't talk to each other. As a result diagnosis is often slow and sometimes the first response is along the lines of "we can't see a problem, it must be on your end" or "are you willing to accept any fees before we come out" Jeez, I thought you were the experts. In a world where network testers can tell me a line break is 50 ft away, I still don't understand why their troubleshooting tools seem to be lacking. This is both a technology and a management issue. Focus here first- not on your marketing. There once was a time after a recurring number of failures with Frontier, that I had a dedicated rep - amazingly all the problems and frustrations seemed to vanish almost instantly. Sadly that hasn't been the case for some time now

Frontier executives, please sit in on a support ticket from beginning to end. To truly understand the magnitude of your inefficiency, don't interfere in the process because then you won't see all the circular loops and hoops your customers are jumping through.

Frontier, cut your sales and marketing budget, streamline your support processes and use the money you save to improve your infrastructure in WV, improve your internet offerings to be competitive with Comcast, and get rid of the yahoo mail for residential customers. . . Then perhaps instead of deterring other people from signing up for your services, I will actually recommend you.

update 2013Mar6. I still stand by my original review but I will mention on the plus side I was able to increase my speeds to roughly 6 mbps down/768 kbps up. That said, they seem to be severely bandwidth constrained at their Charles Town, Central Office especially during the evenings. Heck, they even admit it on their speedtest.frontiernet.net webpage. I've been with them so long, I probably could be described as tel-codependent.

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Off topic.

What does TDS telecom have to do with this review? Don't spam the forum.

Re: Off topic.

trying to sell TDS's service in other areas??? They are a CLEC as well.

Yahoo! Mail

If you don't like the Yahoo! Webmail why use it? Why not go else where to obtain your own domain and host it some where?

Review by Gentoo See Profile

• Location: Carbondale,Jackson,IL
Good "Good off peak speeds and not much else"
Bad "Extremely High ping, Congestion, and Horrible tech support."
Overall "Oversold network, It's just not worth it."

·Mediacom
I signed up for frontiers 3Mbps/0.750Mbps Dry line DSL package for $40 a month plus a $5 modem rental fee. When we signed up they told us it would be on in 1-2 days. That never happened, we ended up waiting about 3 weeks with multiple calls to frontier wandering what the hell was going on. I'm not sure if there was a legitimate problem or that they just don't care.

Were I live frontier seems to suffer extreme congestion problems, starting at noon my speed slowly drop then about 7-10 it just dies completely with downloads as slow as 0.10Mbps. Then at midnight my speeds skyrocket to a constant 2.8Mbps. Overall I'm not very pleased and living in rural southern Illinois, I won't be seeing any upgrades for a long time.

I am no longer a Frontier Customer.

Comments:

Polmood

@direcway.com

Phone and internet service and customer service

I live in Berkeley Springs Wv and the only service available to me is Frontier and they are terrible. I have struggled with them since November trying to get my internet to work and my phone bill correct. They have over charged my for several months and never can get anything resolved. The internet only works half the time. I have searched for other companies and Froniter is the only one in our area. I would give them a F for service teh support and customer service. I did look up the Better Business and they dont meet the requirments so what does that tell you.

MadatFrontie

@frontiernet.net

Re: Phone and internet service and customer service

Here in Utah they massively over sold their network in my area I called tech because they told me 6 months ago they would fix it anyway the tech guy that came out told me they had sold to over 180 homes and they only had 6 t-1 lines to run all of us and they wouldn't get any more until the weather was better Horrid you should fix lines then sell to customers they also told most new people they would get speeds up to 25mbit when they will never ever be able to offer more then maybe 3 with the new lines they are putting in

Review by brkr19 See Profile

• Location: Genoa,Dekalb,IL
Bad "Very slow and costs as much as Comcast"

Slow speed. Called tech suppt of course the speed test says 1.5mb/sec but thats not what I get when I download and the browsing is slow too. Tech suppt says "not our problem".