Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by jpw42 See Profile

• Location: Austin,Mower,MN
Good "It is better then dial up... maybee... when it works..."
Bad "Slow, unreliable, bad service "
Overall "If you have any choice, dont choose Frontier."

They often lie to you when you are having problems. Tell you it is a problem on your side. I have been in the middle of exams for school and oops... no internet. I guess that I just have to call the Professor and beg for more time to take the test. AVOID at all costs.

member for 1 year, 0 visits, last login: 1 year ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Sarick See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "none"
Bad "Multiple repair tickets for same problem"
Overall "It's the only service available"

They upgraded the download caps we loved the fact of having maximum connection limits. Service was wonderful and our connection was stable.

We contacted support over technical issues of being disconnected recently 3/2008. This happened after a line was damaged in route to our house was repaired. (a tree fell on the lines) An intermittent issue caused attenuation to reach over 60+ causing our connections to drop with an average that was 51. After contacting the tech support a ticket was issued.

The problem appeared to be resolved and out connection was again working at about 2m+ down. We again started having issues, We again contacted support after unusual errors. That night our max limit prematurely dropped to the minimum guaranteed rates. The problems with drop offs continued and we again contacted support. The next day a tech visited our hour for the first time and we had no issues.

Unfortunately, because of contacting support our connection limits that where previously 100% reliable before 2008 where permanently capped. I contacted support and was given the run around that we only guarantee 1m down and because the problem is fixed they don't understand why I'm upset.

UPDATE:

I finally contacted, frontier nets main company about this issue and a nice employee called me back withing hours. The issue was fixed and my line was upgraded to 2.6 meg. Today it went down for the first time in months after I called up over congestion. now it's at 3.7 almost 4 meg down.

There are still a lot of errors but I suppose as long as the line is stable and fast I'm not complaining. I'm very please that this single representative got through the red tape and fixed everything.

UPDATE:11/11/09

did a line test seems ok enough but as you can see they still have some minor backbone network issues that aren't on my end.

»/linequality/nil/2585263

UPDATE:10/25/13

4 days ago at around 10:47 I think on Oct. 22 the internet went down. After 24 hours of no service I tried calling up the tech repair lines. I was greeted with the disconnected message "We're sorry, the number you dialed in not in service at this time please~~" Not only did the internet go down but the phone lines where knocked out so that no outside local numbers could be accessed.

I decided to dial 0 and speak to an operator. That managed to work she was able to transfer me to the line repair. After speaking to this representative she issued a ticket for the phone then transferred me to DSL tech support. I spoke him about the internet. They was having issues in my area with no sentiment on repair. I thanked him nicely and finished the call.

After another 2 days of waiting I called up again asking when DSL service would be restored. This representative seemed like he know there was a problem but could offer no repair quote. I ask him if this was indefinite until farther notice. He implied that yes there was working to resolve the issues. On the 24th I called again wanting to see if there was an update on the situation. I was greeted with the warning that high speed connections in and around (private) and (private) near me where still experiencing issues.

After waiting on the line several minutes a person got on the phone. I explained my information ask a few questions. He told it wasn't his problem to that my internet wasn't working. Apparently, my experience and the settings that I've been using the past three years with my equipment where irrelevant. He then then ask for a number to call me back if we got disconnected. His suggestion was to hook up a frontier modem router so he could do a scripted support call. He was unaware the the only modem frontier sent me was dated back to 2008 and also no longer supported. He then said we are currently experiencing no outages in your area. I ask him to hold on the line. I three way called frontier on the second line and let him listen to the frontier message. He hung up the phone after a few seconds of the frontier message.

I looked through my logs modem sync etc. The ADSL sync, ethernet connection and line stability all checked out fine. What I found was that the PPPoE was timing out on their end. Either the server was ignoring my request or it was down. I called up my neighbor and ask his if his internet was up. He seemed antagonistic but logged on his provided modem/router without much issue. Clearly something was up.

Well, oddly it was so this lead me into some investigation. I tried multiple PPPoE connections both on the router and bypassing the router though the modems internal router. In all cases PPPoE authentication never worked. I then decided to remove my DSL modem and use the old frontier modem/router in bridged mode. It also failed. I then tried to access it using the original frontier settings to connect through PPPoE. This being a frontier modem/router with the technician settings. This should've allowed their hardware to connect through their hardware and setup. Low and behold this also failed.

I decided to drop the PPPoE authentication and use the long outdated PPPoA settings from back when the service was introduced into my area. I had to manually enter these settings into the modem router as the newer device didn't have them per-programmed. Oddly, the modem was able to authenticate PPPoA. I'm at a loss for words. Clearly something at frontier was broken or set to restrict connections. I can no longer bridge over PPPoE with any device. Sadly, If PPPoE works it must need need extra perimeters or specific MAC addresses range (forcing frontier equipment) or cloning.

The only reason I'm able to write this updated review is because I'm double routing though the frontier modem that is authenticated by PPPoA. Apparently, they didn't fully phase it out in my area so I lucked out.

My internet is crippled and Frontier will not even open up communication to resolve my issues. As you can see I've been trying several days with no results. This is clearly not the most professional way to help a paid customer that's having technical issues. There is no way to resolve the problem if the engineers are hiding behind scripted tech support personnel.

Right now my connection is crippled it barely works and anything that uses the external ip internally or through the firewall is severely limited.

UPDATE:10/25/13 (part two later that day)

After contacting (unnamed) at frontier consumer affairs and getting past the red tape a tech called me to discuss setting up a new modem from frontier. I feared the tech would push it off as my only equipment choice and insist situation was because incompatible hardware on my end. After a few minutes of discussion we agreed to let him setup a modem and test it at the d-slam. After this call my DSL sync went down. I switched back in my old modem setup that wasn't working in case it came back up fully.

After a few minutes remarkably it came back up and my PPPoE connection established at 3712 using the same hardware/setup prior to the loss of internet. Woohoo!, It then abruptly was dropped again. I Called him up to tell him that I established a connection and PPPoE was started working on my end again. He explained the issue was a bad network port on their end that caused this issue. The reason the connection came back up is the card port was bad/replaced. Amazing ADSL sync, end to end ping almost everything checked out but the PPPoE POP failed to create a session when the PADO packets timed out.

When the connection came back up the second time I noted the 50% drop in provision sync. I explained that my issue wasn't DSL sync or packet loss or my hardware so why did I get re-provisioned. He seemed fine with returning it to 3712 but reluctant sating that the distance would cause buffering. To me if the line is capable of nearly 6mbps having it provisioned to 1700is is way less then 50% capacity. After the changes and several links down the line remained locked to 1700 even though he stated it was for 2500. He eventually figured it out after calling up another tech bringing the rate back up to 3712.

All in all even though my issue was resolved I had to take extraordinary steps to get action. For this reason my ratings will remain extremely low. Because tech support refused to deal with me or issue a repair ticket (shifting the blame) the end result was wasted time and a bitter experience. Even the tech I spoke to seemed to think the issue was on my end after multiple cases that faulted hardware/setup on frontiers end. Every one of these could have been resolved If they listened to my advice and simply placed a repair ticket. As always except for one case (Tel-line was sliced) the connection issues resulted in failures on their hardware. It's really sad to see that a modem needed setup/programmed at the local office to even open a ticket. In the techs eyes I was/am always considered the lose link. That was until their hardware failed to connect! Only then did they realize the issue was real.

All in all if it wasn't for the executive office branch in frontier my internet would probably still be down. After being down four days I'm happy to get it back up without double routing. I solute (unnamed) because she took action again that got past the red tape. My apologies to her because I can't directly identify her under the BBR rules.

member for 11.5 years, 956 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by shoechew See Profile

• Location: Delray,Hampshire,WV
Good "I have nothing good to say about Frontier"
Bad "Over priced garbage. Lies."
Overall "Yes, Frontier is the very lowest bottom line."

»www.bbb.org/

»www.fcc.gov/complaints

»www.wvago.gov/publicresource.cfm

»www.psc.state.wv.us/complaints/default.htm

We have had Frontier just over a year and it has always been unacceptable. Over the past 2 months I have complained several times to Frontier, the BBB and the FCC. I guess they robbed from the rest of our neighborhood to give extra speed to us because lately our Speedtest results are twice as high as the neighbor's. Now Frontier insists there is nothing wrong with our connection and they act like I am lying when I tell them it STILL slows to a crawl in the evenings. Even IF the connection was stable and reliable, $45 for 1 meg would still be a huge ripoff and such overpricing should be criminal considering how slow it really is. We can't even go back to dial-up because Frontier will charge a ridiculous/per minute rate for data.

Comments:

Joe Dirt

@frontiernet.net

Frontier

I don't have any problems with Frontier. Speeds depend on the distance to the Dslam. We have 3meg here and most of the time its right around 3meg. The end of the summer it dropped down to 2meg but now that the kids are back in school things are back to normal.

Frontierbeer

@192.182.219.x

Frontier is OK - speeds usually as claimed

seems as if uploads are being compressed as of late - vpn to ADSL is barely usable - but usually getting the download speed advertised (3~5 Mbits down). Upload speed is another issue - should be 300k and best at this end has been 178k. Contacting customer service usually resolves lag/jitter/speed issues - for a time - then need to call again. VoIP on this line is marginal. The local tech is AWESOME tho - much better service calling the tech directly than putting in a trouble ticket. I can't imagine that TWC would be any better though - got us all over a barrel so for now it's the option that's available. (A captive market).

RogueJawa

join:2013-08-15
Canal Winchester, OH

Yep

I can sympathize.

I've been waiting for about 50 days for my install.

But they say I'll be good to go on 10/2. I hope so.

Review by Dyrnwyn See Profile

• Location: Blomkest,Kandiyohi,MN
Good "Field Techs."
Bad "Everything else - & just getting a field tech out is horrible."
Overall "If there's anything else available besides sat & dial-up, take it!"

6 years with Frontier, & nothing but trouble. They were the only broadband provider for our town until recently, & I will be changing. Only reason I've waited is because our landline phones are with them too, so I've built a PBX to take care of that issue, just need to finish tweaking it & it's bye-bye Frontier, hello MVTV.

Most recent complaint would be this past week, when most of the entire Frontier network went down, & it took 1 hour & 34 minutes with a phone tech & her supervisor to finally decide it wasn't just my computers & then sent a tech out to replace the modem. As soon as the modem was replaced, internet was back. No way in anybody's business that should have taken more than a few minutes, given the widespread problem (I called two hours after they told my wife's business that the entire state was down & they had over 80 calls at that point) (also, turns out they were down all over the country, not just MN), let alone more than 20 minutes!

Before that, one other major issue of the line being "grazed" a block away took 3 months to get fixed. The tech had to dig down through snow to get to the sliced wires. Had they heeded my complaints about the quality of service three months before, there wouldn't have been any snow, & I wouldn't have had such poor internet.

I could go on, I have several customers I do tech work for that "used" to be Frontier customers.

Look at their S&P stock downgrade last week to "negative". Not a company to do business with, let alone invest in. Get as far away from them as possible.

UPDATE: Managed to leave Frontier in the spring of 2013. They tried to pull the "you're still in contract" crap, so I told them they already breached the contract due to the poor quality and fraudulent speed claims (their techs informed me our area is governed to never go over 1.5, even though they bumped us up to the 6mb billing rate in October 2012).

Currently using BroadbandMN.com. They cost more, but for the most part, have been much more reliable, and the speeds over 80% of the time are as advertised. They lease from Charter - just wish I could actually get Charter.....

Comments:

Joe dirt

@frontiernet.net

hmm

Well your area is set up with VDSL and speeds around 12 meg or better.

Review by schipper See Profile

• Location: Nebo,Mcdowell,NC
Good "Not much, most of the people at the call center speak english, which is good because you will be calling them often."
Bad "It is constantly down. When it is working its slow, and they havn't improved the speeds in 3 years."
Overall "Go with any other provider if possible, even Sat if you can deal with the latency. "

I have had their service since they took over from Verizon and it has consistently gotten worse since that point. In the past year I haven't had a single month where it hasn't gone down at least once. Their support is completely useless as well, quoting as much as 9 days out for repair sometimes. When you do call in you almost always end up with someone reading off a script who is unable to do anything other then schedule an appointment for next week. All in all its the single worst service I have ever dealt with and I am selling my house just to get away from them.

Comments:

Review by dssidnt See Profile

• Location: Flushing,Belmont,OH
Bad "Unreliable. Sometimes the speed is tolerable, but then drops."
Overall "If you can avoid getting Frontier, please choose another way if possible."

I am in a rural area. When I called to inquire, they promised a guaranteed speed of 3Mbps. After installation I was lucky to barely get 1.5. They have improved a little bit as my speed is now about 2.5. I would like to switch to cable, but we live quite a way from the main cable line, so it is not an option, and satellite pricing is out of the question.

Comments:

Review by Aznightfalls See Profile

• Location: Lake Havasu City,Mohave,AZ
Good "The local customer service people"
Bad "Speed."
Overall "Most times do not even get half the speed paying for."

Local office is great to deal with. The DL speed really bites. I have 6/1 and can only get 2.3/1 Which means Netflix locks, games dont play well. I am looking to change to wireless maybe, just not cable since they meter.

Comments:

Review by csmith

• Location: Concho,Apache,AZ

I don't know how I could possibly hate a ISP any more than I hate Frontier!

I not only am forced to have Frontier DSL at my residence... and pay for two DSL lines because they just can't provide me with enough speed to browse
the internet AND stream netflix or any other media outlet at the same time.

Also, I am in IT as a Managed Services Provider. I have problems with EVERY
SINGLE client that uses Frontier! I am not joking or exxagerating! Their service is abysmal! There have been several times that I have noticed ALL of
our customers in a geographic location lose their internet... only to call
Frontier and have them deny they are experiencing any outage in the area.
Every time without exception, I will remain on the call long enough for the
"outage notification" to reach their call center staff... usually after at
least 30 minutes of a whole section of NE Arizona being out... completely.
.. before their own engineers even know it! Sad,

If I had ANY other choice... I would happily tell them to stick it! I may have found a new Wi-Power provider that I will happily be moving to, without
a single second of care regarding the cost!

Frontier HAS to be the absolute WORST ISP out there. I simply cannot understand how they remain in business outside of their corner on the rural market.

Maddening!

(review was emailed from domain computertechnologiesllc.com)

Comments:

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

The absolute worst..

I wholeheartedly agree with your post. Frontier is the worst.
faxmachine

join:2005-07-20
Oakland, CA

Re: The absolute worst..

I'll agree with that. I've got to deal with Frontier in Middletown NY. Their speeds are abysmal and their tech support is poor at best.

Private

@rr.com

Former employee

Here's the 411 on frontier-it's a piece of shit company! They lie and are very sneaky bout adding extra charges on ur bill including the newest one Auto Migration. Anyone that was verizon and then frontier is now ur provider-u r going to get screwed. For example-when someone was with verizon and had phone and Internet with no contract-ur bill is going to start raising $6 on the Internet every month till it reaches the new price of either $34.99, 44.99 or Internet only customers with no contract (during verizon era) to 39.99 or 49.99. It depends on the area u live in for those prices and nothing u can do about it. Frontier doesn't want to pay for "grandfathered packages" anymore and they will lie and tell u frontier notified u but they didn't. It's on page 4 of ur bill-that was the notification. Next on my list-dsl service. Frontier states they can provide 15 to 25m service in ur area. Um that's a lie. When I would get calls bout that-I would call another dept to see if the area was capped and most of the time it was. Too much congestion is what they would say. Then I would ask the engineer to check for another central office location to hookup customers and they would always say "we r working on it". They don't give 2 shits about any of u only their dsl sales-that's it. It's like working in a prison with no windows and there r wardens everywhere waiting to whip u back into shape. It's horrible! U wanna know why I got fired-for telling the customer the truth bout their bill and why their dsl is so slow. I got tired of lying-I was raised better than that-everyday I went to hell and back and it's not worth it! One more thing-all u verizon customers who have or had 3 to 7m dsl-I would do a speed test-because I guarantee ur getting 1.5 and ur most likely paying for 3 or 7-even if u call in-the reps r only allowed to go back to 3 months for credit-so if u want more than that-a supervisor will help u with that.

Re: Former employee

it's 2013 (for me) I have had MIGRAINE headaches dealing with Frontiers CSR's one after another the list is LONG.. I FINALLY got of a supervisor & email address & asked for a copy of my original contract.. she said she would email me a copy of it.. NEVER got it! Another Rep gave me a reasonable credit.. & stayed on the phone while my bank transferred money to Frontiers online bill pay system.. It NEVER showed it as being paid.. Fortunately I have documentation for evry Rep I spoke with, their name's, which state they are located in & the conversation we had.. I have reference #'s, confirm#'s for my online billing (THAT THEY HAVE NO RECORD OF RECEIVING) I finally said to hell with it! DISCONNECT ME! I DONT CARE ABOUT THE CANCELLATION FEE!!! FUNNY, I am still getting monthly bills LOL for service I dont have at the price my contract was when I signed up! LMBO! This is June 12 2013 the end of my yearly contract... Got a bill for $400.00 just yesterday Lol Has anyone ever read the fine print in the contract/penalty etc etc? Toward the end, It says: in laymen terms that Frontier would rather settle your account issues than going to court.. REALLY? OTFLMBO I pointed that out to them & got transferred to someone else who said they were looking into it.. OMG! DAM they are good at passing the buck&avoiding the customer! U think they will avoid sending my account to collections? I DONT CARE! I'll pay it off in increments (something FRONTIER said they would do).. a 'deferred payment plan') But later said, sorry you dont qualify for that! Ha Ha Ha ADIOS FRONTIER!! EVERYTHING I have documented would drive someone INSANE! No more headaches though.. YAY ME!!!

Private

@rr.com

Re: Former employee

Yep that sounds like frontier. I would get so many calls bout that too. The process of any credit over 100 goes to a vp who then approves/disapproves-is how the process works. In my personal opinion-I know u r tired of calling back in-but if u have documentation of never signing a contract-they have to waive it. I did it many times for people. Good luck to you! Being fired is a "blessing in disguise"-I'm home with my children and my hubby-very happy.

Re: Former employee

Good for you! I'm glad that you are happy & have a clear conscience.. no, I'm not going to communicate with them any longer.. Iv ben battling Frontier w them for way too long...I took enough of my time to investigate their devious practices..have already talked to a supervisor that gave me a reasonable credit he confirmed that he got my payment from my bank while he stayed on the phone with me, he gave me a confirmation number and his email..Unfortunately my next billing didnt list this credit, neither did the next billing period, plus I got late charges for 3 months..I emailed this supervisor & he never emailed me back.. I had to laugh at the whole thing or continue to have Migraine headaches..

East Wenatchee, WA
A Supervisor in Florida (Ilive In WA State) gave me a reasonable credit to my account & stayed on the line while I cald my bank so I could pay online.. he said it went through asked if I was happy with that credit & gave me his email address.. when the bill came (NO CREDIT) plus late charges for 3 months..I cald & asked any of the rep'sif they could get ahold of him &they said that they emailed him & NO RESPONSE..Icancelled my service..I dont care about the cancellation charges..I talked to every rep in the U.S. and 1 in South America..get this.. I received in the mail a letter saying I am late on my bill.. it wasnt even a Frontier billing statement a letter unsigned..AND even after FRONTIER & I agreed to OPT OUT of paper statements for online billing BECAUSE it would be less costly..IM DONE w/FRONTIER! GOOD RIDDENCE!
jojomojo6969

join:2013-06-13
Albany, NY

to csmith in concho

hello, i just bought a lot in a subdivision in concho and your review of frontier made me ill. the broadband max option they offer is poor too? do you have an opinion of the broadband blue cell tower internet ? are there any improvements expected in the area you may be familiar with?, thank you

Review by skidmarks7 See Profile

• Location: Unityville,Lycoming,PA
Good "They try to fix issues"
Bad "Poor Service for the cost"
Overall "No choice when they are the only name in the game"

Have the 6M down plan. Modem is set to 3.7M so the best that can happen is 3.7. Unfortunately I have never seen speeds out of the 2M down range since I started the service. Was talked into the "free" second connect line (was told it would be bonded). Its not. So I have a dry pair that I attempted to bridge with some equipment that I own with my primary DSL. The speeds are SO poor I could not bridge them to improve my situation. As soon the as sun goes down my 2M speed drops to anywhere from .2 to .5 M down! Ping rates day or night are awful... 200 to 800ms from the first hop out from my house. Frontier is not interested in hearing the word latency or Ping rates. They ignore you when you start to try and discuss these numbers. I have had 20 trouble tickets cleared over a 3 month period... The local Telco guys told me it was a congested area, the frontier customer support said it was not. Finally customer support has my area listed in the congested area (no help with getting the speeds that we pay for, but at least it is a small victory that they admit it to be a congested area now).

The connection reliability is fine... but the speeds are not what I pay for nd most nights I could get out my 56K modem and achieve better speeds!

Guess the bottom line is I live in the sticks, frontier is the only name in the game. In my opinion they are not going to put money into remote locations to improve service, but still bill you at a extremely high rate for the crappy service (speeds). The local Telco guys are great, but obviously they don't write the checks to pay for upgrades...

Comments:

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

Sticks?

I live in a city, but was on the edge of their service area. Could not get anything above 3megs. They wouldn't do anything about it and probably still haven't. Thank goodness for Fiber. Dropped stinkin' Frontier in a heartbeat.

Review by OSIU See Profile

• Location: Medina,Medina,OH
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "?"
Bad "Good luck with support and trying to get someone to fix it if you have a problem."
Overall "Beats satellite"

·Armstrong Zoom ..
Update 5/7/13:

Well, Armstrong Zoom has been pretty solid and no complaints here. More speed for the same money....... Good bye Frontier!

Update 4/17/13:

Finally fixed after a week! Gave me a new Netgear 7500 DSL modem/ gateway. Going to give cable a try and will cancel the weakest link.

Update 4/15/13:

Internet went down Wednesday morning (4/10) around 7 AM (I was using it at the time). Called support and they said they would have it fixed by 5 PM 4/11. Apparently there was an issue in the DSLAM and nothing wrong with my equipment. Morning of 4/11 arrived and they called and left a voicemail indicating they were running a little behind and would have it fixed by 5 PM 4/12. Called support around 5:30 PM 4/12 and they escalated it and it would be fixed 4/13. Called 7:30 PM 4/13 and now they weren't giving me an ETA of fixing. I said okay and promptly scheduled an cable internet hookup on Friday 4/19. Goodbye Frontier. Mismanagement into bankruptcy anyone?

*************************************************************************************This is my review of Frontier DSL after the transition from Verizon. See »Review of Verizon Online DSL by OSIU for my Verizon DSL review.

Speed (3/?) stayed the same and service has been consistent without any outages that I have noticed.

Frontier has cooked up some new packages and prices since the switch from Verizon. I was also notified that my area had been updated with the ADSL2+ technology and they are offering 6M and 12 M plans in my area, which are certainly under consideration as well. I am in the process of evaluating them and making a change. An edit will appear when I finally decide which way to go.

member for 11.1 years, 1785 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

isp10002

join:2012-10-24
·Frontier Communi..
·Dish Network
·Verizon Wireless..

Dsl

Hi i actually live not far from you and have frontier dsl as well. The highest i can get is 3 mbps, also the upload speed is 768k if you dident know. This service has been good for me. Frontier services the medina/Wayne area, No body can give you an estimate of when dsl service will be back up so dont count on the date they give you.