Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by DurhamDanger See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Local Tech Support are Great"
Bad "Oversold DSL leads to speeds LESS THAN Dialup"
Overall "$5 credit off bill still does not help crappy speeds"

·Earthlink Cable ..
I was one of those many people who had Verizon before they sold Durham to Frontier. The sale was years in planning during which time Verizon ran Durham into the ground. On the switch to Frontier my network immediately bottomed out. However the field engineers and local techs worked through the issues and fixed my 3Mbps/768kbps to acceptable speeds hovering around 2.5 Mbps.

Until last week that is...we have been experiencing terribly crappy speeds during the evening hours and just plain crappy speeds during the day. We've even had network disconnections happen now. My last speed tests are now showing horrific speeds of 168kbps down. That is even crappy for dial-up!

When consulting with the technician, she admitted Durham has been over-subscribed in DSL and they don't expect to have it completely fixed until June 2013. Sending me over to customer support, they could only offer me a $5 credit for six months. That's five dollars off unusable service? It's like handing a company money for absolutely nothing.

I was supposed to get a call from the local technical manager to either explain the issue and do something about it or offer up something else. Nope. No call today.

I am having to move to another service (most likely Earthlink cable) to get the Internet back into my house.

Comments:
TBBroadband

·MegaPath

Elink

Elink is just resold TWC. You will still have to deal 100% with TWC for everything, install, billing and basically support. And if Elink can't fix the problem on the phone, they will send you a tech. Also Elink does not have access to most D3 plans. So you'll be stuck with what TWC gives them.
DurhamDanger

join:2013-03-13
Durham, NC
·Earthlink Cable ..
·Frontier Communi..

Re: Elink

Oh I pretty much knew Earthy would be riding on TWC cables as TWC and Frontier are the only choices for Durham.

Makes me want to smack our Mayor Bill Bell for getting us into this mess and then I remember it's the city council that has the real power here.

Right now I'm just looking for cheapest connection until this town breaks the law and puts together a municipal line.

Review by smtfish See Profile

• Location: Shepherdstown,Jefferson,WV
Good "pleasant employees, sometimes helpful, always professional"
Bad "inefficient bureaucracy, *!# yahoo ad-laden webmail, slow dsl offerings, monopoly"
Overall "love-hate relationship with the new/old Frontier"

At my home office, I have the only DSL speed supposedly offered in my area which is 2.5 mbps down, 512 up. (There used to be multi-tiered offerings but when I inquired I was told I only have one option). I've been a customer with Frontier both on the business side (POTS,T-1,metro-e,PRI) and their residential side (POTS, DSL) for over 15 years. I oversee services which total over $1400/month to Frontier.

I abhor their sales/marketing function. As a customer, I get constant mailings to buy services I already have, while at the same time being exhorted to go green with electronic statements. Physical statements often have ads selling junk for 3rd party services. Their sales technique to a captive audience in what is essentially a monopoly market is ineffective at best- irritating at worst. Having been a long-time customer, my irritation with Frontier continues to escalate over time. In addition to their snail mailings their current Yahoo web-mail is laden with cr@pvertising, C'mon I'm a paying customer. If there was another option for combined phone+internet I'd jump ship in a heartbeat.

Frontier is a multi-headed monster. I've been transferred between as many as four agents in a circular loop. I've signed contracts for services that took 6+ months to install (still in process). After the sale is made - don't expect the salesperson to call back if there is trouble. Where's the accountability?

Frontier has many gems in its technical support staff if you can get to the 2nd tier support or talk to people actually making the repairs. They are pleasant, intelligent, stay on the problem until it is resolved, and followup.

One problem I've noticed is that the support functions are divided by specialty (by necessity) but they often don't talk to each other. As a result diagnosis is often slow and sometimes the first response is along the lines of "we can't see a problem, it must be on your end" or "are you willing to accept any fees before we come out" Jeez, I thought you were the experts. In a world where network testers can tell me a line break is 50 ft away, I still don't understand why their troubleshooting tools seem to be lacking. This is both a technology and a management issue. Focus here first- not on your marketing. There once was a time after a recurring number of failures with Frontier, that I had a dedicated rep - amazingly all the problems and frustrations seemed to vanish almost instantly. Sadly that hasn't been the case for some time now

Frontier executives, please sit in on a support ticket from beginning to end. To truly understand the magnitude of your inefficiency, don't interfere in the process because then you won't see all the circular loops and hoops your customers are jumping through.

Frontier, cut your sales and marketing budget, streamline your support processes and use the money you save to improve your infrastructure in WV, improve your internet offerings to be competitive with Comcast, and get rid of the yahoo mail for residential customers. . . Then perhaps instead of deterring other people from signing up for your services, I will actually recommend you.

update 2013Mar6. I still stand by my original review but I will mention on the plus side I was able to increase my speeds to roughly 6 mbps down/768 kbps up. That said, they seem to be severely bandwidth constrained at their Charles Town, Central Office especially during the evenings. Heck, they even admit it on their speedtest.frontiernet.net webpage. I've been with them so long, I probably could be described as tel-codependent.

Comments:
wirelessdog

Off topic.

What does TDS telecom have to do with this review? Don't spam the forum.

Re: Off topic.

trying to sell TDS's service in other areas??? They are a CLEC as well.

Yahoo! Mail

If you don't like the Yahoo! Webmail why use it? Why not go else where to obtain your own domain and host it some where?

Review by Gentoo See Profile

• Location: Carbondale,Jackson,IL
Good "Good off peak speeds and not much else"
Bad "Extremely High ping, Congestion, and Horrible tech support."
Overall "Oversold network, It's just not worth it."

·Mediacom
I signed up for frontiers 3Mbps/0.750Mbps Dry line DSL package for $40 a month plus a $5 modem rental fee. When we signed up they told us it would be on in 1-2 days. That never happened, we ended up waiting about 3 weeks with multiple calls to frontier wandering what the hell was going on. I'm not sure if there was a legitimate problem or that they just don't care.

Were I live frontier seems to suffer extreme congestion problems, starting at noon my speed slowly drop then about 7-10 it just dies completely with downloads as slow as 0.10Mbps. Then at midnight my speeds skyrocket to a constant 2.8Mbps. Overall I'm not very pleased and living in rural southern Illinois, I won't be seeing any upgrades for a long time.

I am no longer a Frontier Customer.

Comments:

Polmood

@direcway.com

Phone and internet service and customer service

I live in Berkeley Springs Wv and the only service available to me is Frontier and they are terrible. I have struggled with them since November trying to get my internet to work and my phone bill correct. They have over charged my for several months and never can get anything resolved. The internet only works half the time. I have searched for other companies and Froniter is the only one in our area. I would give them a F for service teh support and customer service. I did look up the Better Business and they dont meet the requirments so what does that tell you.

MadatFrontie

@frontiernet.net

Re: Phone and internet service and customer service

Here in Utah they massively over sold their network in my area I called tech because they told me 6 months ago they would fix it anyway the tech guy that came out told me they had sold to over 180 homes and they only had 6 t-1 lines to run all of us and they wouldn't get any more until the weather was better Horrid you should fix lines then sell to customers they also told most new people they would get speeds up to 25mbit when they will never ever be able to offer more then maybe 3 with the new lines they are putting in

Review by brkr19 See Profile

• Location: Genoa,Dekalb,IL
Bad "Very slow and costs as much as Comcast"

Slow speed. Called tech suppt of course the speed test says 1.5mb/sec but thats not what I get when I download and the browsing is slow too. Tech suppt says "not our problem".

Comments:

Review by SteveJobs See Profile

• Location: Flanagan,Livingston,IL
Good " Always on"
Bad "Slow speeds"
Overall "Good for people that need always on internet"

To note, the zip code i entered is a town that is in my county, as I do not want to give my exact location.

We used to be with Verizon, before frontier bought them out and we have seen a great increase in service. We have always been on the 1.5mbps tier until June of this year, when we upgraded to their 3mbps plan. It has been pretty well, my parents reporting that the computer that is bridged via LAN from the router said they have had more problems, but i do not believe them. The extra bandwidth was appreciated, however not enough. The cost is extremely expensive for what we get, as we can get 15mbps on Mediacom for 10 bucks a month. We are unfortunatly locked into a contract, so we can not leave. However, I am severely frustrated at them, as a rural town down the road gets 7mbps internet, while our max is 3. And we live in a much larger town then the town that gets 7mbps. And they have had it before the bonded DSL was announced, also. I see all of these awful stories with frontier, but we have had no issues. The support has always been helpful. I do not like how they charge $85 if the tech steps foot in your home.

We also have our phone service bundled with this, That is 30 bucks a month, We have no complaints here.

I see great potental in frontier once their bonded dsl becomes fully deployed.

Comments:

Review by nate155 See Profile

• Location: Delta,Millard,UT
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Not much choice..."

We have had Frontier internet for a number of years and like clock work since we have had them can almost guarantee I will have a high latency from 4 pm to 11 pm and all day on Sundays and Saturdays and holidays and im not talking about 150-200 ms I am talking 350-2000 ms they told me 2 months ago they were working on the problem. come to find out they over sold service and they cant support the number of users they have on. not only that their upload speed is capped at 23KBS download avg goes about 110KBS late at night might get 140-150 KBS we were sold as it being a 3mibt connection but I was told the line can't support it though how it can suppose an insane amount of users I don't know they say they have no plan to increase peoples speeds even though a cable company is moving in in 2014-2015 that will offer most users in Town 25mibit for same price If I was in the main 84624 Area I would not sign a contract with this company as I'd wait for cable or go with the wireless alternative

Comments:

Review by asdjf See Profile

• Location: Old Fields,Hardy,WV
Good "Better than satellite"
Bad "Incompetent, rude and slow"
Overall "They take advantage of people."

Let me tell you a story, one of many, of how Frontier is the most horrible ISP there is.

I called to get them to bring up the upload speed to somewhat match what I am paying for (3M/512kbps) because upload at the time was only 200kbps. The next day the speed dropped to 1mbit down/0.1 up. Called tech support and they said that rather than fixing the speed issue, the tech lowered our speed down to the one meg tier because that's "all we are capable of getting", nevermind that we were getting 2.6Mbit/s a couple days ago. Tech support said this was done because we are 20,000 feet from the CO but we are not, it is only 700 feet away as told to me by the CSR when ordering the service.

I go back and forth with them for a while and then they transfer me to customer service's escalation department. They tell me that they can downgrade me to the 1mbit plan but it would be an extra $20 a month. How does that even make sense?? I want the speed fixed and they want to not only put me on a lower speed but charge me more for lower speed. This lady just kept saying that I was getting the speed that I should be getting, that's all that I could be getting. And after telling her again that tech support specifically told me that they downgraded my speed she told me that they will think about sending a tech out. She then went on to threaten me with permanently having no internet service if I complain about the speeds. I am not kidding, this woman actually said that if I kept 'making changes to my account' that I might not end up with service at all. Even though I want them to fix it, not make any changes.. After this exchange I ask for the woman's name, which she refuses to give. I ask her three times, and each time she said have a nice day. Unbelievable.

I have a great many stories like this about this service, like how they cannot find my city on a map and they say it does not show that I have service with them even though I am on the service right now, that this is not their area even though all my neighbors have frontier, about the many times that techs cancelled the install order when they could not be bothered to come to the house.

Comments:

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

wow

Nailed it!

Anon512

@qwest.net

When you say 0.2M, do you mean MB/s or Mb/s? If you were advertised 512 Kb/s then that equals 0.512 Mb/s or 0.062 MB/s. If you were getting 0.2 MB/s or even 0.1 MB/s then you were indeed getting more than what they offered.

asdjf

join:2005-01-01

Re: Reply

I mean Mbits, Mb/s.

Review by xorca See Profile

• Location: Slaterville Springs,Tompkins,NY

I am using frontier now for 3 years=0A =0AThey are by far the worst teleco provider=0A =0ANot even the phones work as they should=0A =0ADSL:=0A1. slow and you have to constantly call them to fix it =
(on average I have to call once a month). After complain few days it is wor=
king fine then back to old, send me 4 different routers to try to please me=
but it is not helping.=0A =0A2. they do not inv=
est in new things=0A =0A3. main IT support =
is horrible they do not have basic tracking software to notice that I call =
every 4 weeks=0A =0A4. I finally have different =
choice and I am moving service to Clarity Connect=0A =
=0A5. I would switch phone service long time ago but some how they hav=
e monopoly in my area (I do not know why)=0A =0A=
it is worst of the worst

member for 2 years, 0 visits, last login: 2 years ago

Comments:
xorca

join:2012-10-05
Slaterville Springs, NY

Frontier DSL service

I am using frontier now for 3 years

They are by far the worst teleco provider

Not even the phones work as they should

DSL:
1. slow and you have to constantly call them to fix it (on average I have to call once a month). After complain few days it is working fine then back to old, send me 4 different routers to try to please me but it is not helping.

2. they do not invest in new things

3. main IT support is horrible they do not have basic tracking software to notice that I call every 4 weeks

4. I finally have different choice and I am moving service to Clarity Connect

5. I would switch phone service long time ago but some how they have monopoly in my area (I do not know why)

it is worst of the worst

Review by Cycholobo See Profile

• Location: Webster Springs,Webster,WV
Good "DSL - Used to beat dial up"
Bad "only DSL avail"
Overall "misrepresentations from the start - clueless online tech - antiquated equip"

latest Frontier failure
After fighting with Frontier for the last three years over speeds and having them respond by changing their agreement to only guarantee 70% of the speed packages they sell. Not surprising that even at 70% still Not be able to supply 1 Mb down. SAD

Their latest nonsense needs to be addressed by all customers of their service. Frontier-Yahoo ! I am personally offended that some one would represent to me that I should pay them for a service that is available for free.

Read the Yahoo agreement and you will find that Yahoo reserves the right to, in the future charge fees for their service as well as all the monitoring and other crap yahoo is so famous for. Does that mean paying both Yahoo and Frontier for e-mail. WOW - talk about bending over.

Frontier supplied a advertisement free simple and secure mail service that was supplied as part of their DSL service. They have taken that away and replaced it with something that is available for free, but they are not reducing customer charges. Hence Frontier gets more and supplies less. The Frontier management chose to free up servers rather than purchasing the needed additional equipment and have chosen to represent this farce as a Free Upgrade complete with advertizing that you can not opt out of because that advertizing is what pays for the yahoo services ( read the TOS )

The only upgrade I see is getting out of Frontier. Unfortunately there are no options available in my location.

It is time for all the frustrated Frontier customers who have been abused by this company for too long to take a stand and litigate the issue.

We need to find a legal firm to institute a class action against Frontier for "False advertising" and "Failure to supply contracted services"and damages.

We can all start by sending complaints to FCC, State Attorney Generals, State Utility Commissions. Federal and state consumer agencies and so on.

Mine are in the process.

Document everything and the overwhelming preponderance of data might actually bring results

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH -legal firms interested - please post - other parties input welcome

Orig review
Signed up in Jan 08 when it became available - first problems within days - couldn't stay connected - speed check DL 1200 kb UL 156 kb - guaranteed 1 Mb of unlimited access and XBox Live compatibility - by March speeds were down to half of the guaranteed DL speed and we began having lag problems in ranked matches - Siemens SE 567 Gateway @ $3.99 per Month in addition to DSL charges - Absurd but the only game in area

Xbox says frontier is not on their list of approved carriers and the Siemens SE 567 is not an approved Gateway - Frontier has the XBox logo on their site indicating approval and say that as long as you can connect to Xbox it is acceptable - they also say that they guarantee the connection not the ability to play games - talk about a line - when they are trying to close the deal they are XBox approved but when the problems start they only guarantee that you can connect

July 08 hit point where on line competition became impossible - started daily logs running successive speed tests throughout the day and evening - multiple calls to tech were 95 % useless because once they go through the flow charts on the screen in front of them they are clueless - since Jan we have had contact with two online tech people who were knowledgeable and professional but two out of a dozen or so says all the wrong things - had a service techie come out and spend a couple of hours - confirmed in writing on work order it is not our equip causing problems - one of the sharpest phone co techies i have met in the 20 years here - speeds hunting all over 200 kb to 1200 kb - latency ranges 65 ms to 86 ms - when problems are occurring port ( in use ) and wireless lights on gateway are blinking at various rates - total inconsistency - packet loss unknown

Have accumulated almost 30 pages or test results ( 19 tests per page ) using Frontier / Bluefield test and several other speed tests - tests are run so that multiple tests are run in a succession - When the frontier test is hunting all over with more than a hundred point swing the mid point of the dominate swing seems to agree with the other test results NOT THE SPIKE that the frontier seems to find so frequently. The Frontier DL needle can bounce between 200 kb and 8oo kb for 99 % of the test and then in the last fraction of a second spike to 1100 kb and the 1100 kb will show as the speed - talk about lame - UL never exceed 165 kb with 150 kb +/- most common and a low of 65 kb

Pages of test data prove that our use is not the problem - we have had one computer on line surfing and pulled 200kb speeds - we have had 3 computers plus the Xbox 360 with three players logged in and pulled 1200 kb - weather is not a consistent factor - temp doesn't make a difference - we are one of four clients on a T1 and we are the only client who games - frontier did an extended traffic report test ( days ) and at no time did the usage even approach 20% of line capacity - we should be screaming in a good way

Now we go days with 1 Mb +/- with an occasional reverse spike back to 200 or so - BUT now our line speed will test over a Mb and it will take 10 min to load a text page

They are either manipulating MTU below the 1365 needed for XBox or restricting our throughput by buffering or shaping - They of course deny it saying that they do not do that

Our slowest system has 3 Ghz CPU with 4 GB RAM and ATI Graphics

Frontier is consistent in their initial misrepresentations during the sale - problems are always a customer equip issue and they don't like when u prove them wrong - their antiquated equipment without replacement backups because the equip is no longer produced results in repairs made with scrounged used parts

Appears that Frontier needs to wake up and the only way that will happen is if customers in each state join collectively in documenting the issues and approach the state Attorney General for misrepresentation and failure to fulfill the contract terms or litigate with a class action. Alone there will be no resolution for any of us - they don't care and the utilities commission most likely won't do squat - they are about $$ so the potential loss of $$ might get their attention - talking to them has been proven not to work

29th Sept 08 - UPDATING TO ORIGINAL POST

Update but first to fairly qualify initial rating:

Pre Sales Info was rated low because they were interested in closing the sale and misrepresented the actual service we were receiving - got even better because monthly service billing was higher by $ 5.00 and modem charge was $ 1.00 higher than what we were quoted - took till March to resolve and when it was taken care of Frontier said our contract start date was March extending our contract by months - not worth the hassle at this point

Connection Reliability is and has been the major issue with Frontier

Services and Value for the Money serious unresolved issues make it impossible to rate higher

Install Coordination was a matter of the tech service rep driving out to deliver the gateway - they would have installed it but I chose to do it myself - hence a neutral rating

Tech Support is a similar issue - while the vast majority of tech contacts were clueless - it would be unfair to rate the tech Support based totally on those contacts when we did run into a couple of tech people who were sharp and the service techie who came out to check the lines and our equipment was very sharp and professional - thus a neutral rating

Sat 9th Aug
Ran a Gateway Diagnostics ( @ 192.168.254.254 ) on Siemens SE 567 that we have always passed and suddenly in Internet Connectivity portions both DNS Query and Ping a Well Known Host FAILED - Test has consistently FAILED EVERY TIME it has been run since.

Called Frontier about failed tests - another work order put in - finally were told if DSL is working don't worry about it

Another issue that has come up is that in games we can’t get into invited games and can’t host - Game sites consistently identify a Strict Nat as the issue - only problem with that is that at time we were running on open system with DMZ enabled on all ports so some how we are leaving here and in transit or at the target site we are being interpreted as a Strict Nat - this has happened before a couple of times over the past few months but it has never lasted for more than a couple of hours - this time it’s been 3 days and going.

Mon 11th Aug
Over the past couple of days ran several packet loss checks - all of the short ones came back with a less than 2 % loss and Latency between a min .44 ms and max 121.37 ms - interesting thing is that each time a loss was identified it was at a Frontier Hop. - Ran 1 - 24 hour test with Packet Loss from 36.91 % to 38.28 % and again loss associated with frontier hops

Not getting anywhere with Frontier so decided to play with Gateway set up - PPPoE ( tried combos 0/35 - 8/35 - 0/36 enable / disable / default ) - DMZ ( enabled / disabled ) - NAPT ( enabled / disabled ) - Opened different combos of ports - UPnP ( enabled / disabled )

Started Smoke ping ( 24 hour test ) West Coast 37% packet loss - East Coast 38% packet loss

Ended up with the following proving to be the best setup for us : PPPoE @ Default Enabled ( 0/35 ) - DMZ @ Disabled - UPnP @ Enabled - NAPT @ Enabled with the following ports opened [Protocol] Port ID - [TCP] HTTP/80 - [TCP] SMTP/25 - [TCP] PPTP/1723 - [UDP] DNS/53 - [UDP] SNMP/161 - [UDP] 27910 - [UDP] 6112 - [TCP] 3074 - [UDP] 27015 - [UDP] 20100 - [UDP] 27960 - [UDP] 3074 - [UDP] 88 - [UDP] 3330 - [UDP] 77

Tues 12th Aug
8:00 pm pages wouldn’t load - tried to do Frontier Speed Test - page started loading and after 4 minutes still hadn’t timed out but still hadn’t gotten to start page. 10 minutes later the page slowly loaded and speeds were DL 235 and UL 100 - 5 minutes later DL 300 and UL 83. 30 minutes later DL 54 kb and UL 95 kb. Unable to play or connect.

When speeds dropped to DL 54 kb we had 31 RX CRC errors and 21 Err ( sec ) - DS Atten. is and has always been consistent @ 51.5 - DS SNR has fluctuated from a high of 28.5 to a low of 11.5 that coincides with our 54 kb DL speed

This got really interesting @ 10:30 pm this evening - DS SNR 15.5 to 16 - DS Atten 51.5 - zero errors - DL 1042kb UL 99 kb - Gate way diagnostics still FAILED DNS Query and Ping Known Host BUT pages loading almost instantly - game play fastest ever with Zero lag or speed / connection problems - still getting Strict Nat error but DSL is running the way it is supposed to.

As I am writing this it is now 1 am and we are starting to see faint hints of lag that are lasting for 5 to 30 seconds - speeds holding around 1060 to 1100 kb - no errors showing

Called frontier tech this am to tell them not to touch anything because the DSL is working

We’ll see how long it lasts

Also e-mailed Siemens from their own customer support site requesting comparison of Gigaset SE 567 with firmware #004-E652-A4E config. 003-a102-G08 vs Speedstream 6520 with firmware # 004-E753-A4E config. 003-W093-G0A in relation to Xbox Live requirements

Xbox has approved the 6520 / firmware / configuration for Xbox Live but not the SE 567 /firmware / configuration that we have - I searched their site before I sent the info request and there is NO TECH INFO on their site regarding the SE 567 - u probably guessed by now they responded - thanked me for my request for info and directed me to the exact site I sent the request from - Of course they also expressed that they hope that they answered the question - guess they don’t know their products too well or don’t have documentation on the various configurations and couldn’t answer or it was just too much work.

2:30 pm Mon 25th Aug to 11:am 27th Aug
DL 17 kb to 54 kb & UL 7 kb to 55 kb

@ 11:00 am speed back DL 1100 kb +/- UL 157 kb steady

speeds fairly consistent since 90 % with occasional drops to DL 100 kb +/- and UL 120 kb +/-

1st Sept - Xbox down - won't read cd's AGAIN ( 7th problem )

Thurs 11th Sept

phones down - started with serious static rapidly progressed to open line - BUT DSL still connected @ DL 150 kb to 175 kb and UL @ 156 kb steady

Thurs 18th Sept 7:43 pm

phones back - interesting point - first ever independent contractors came out because Frontier employees where overwhelmed with problems

Comments:
wirelessdog

Line issue

It sounds like you have an obvious line issue. The rest is really a bunch of useless information, no offense.

I am contacting my sales rep to see if our wholesale agreement extends in to Frontier areas. If it does we may be able to offer some assistance - I'll let you know.

Re: Line issue

Is this a area that has always been Frontier or a Verizon area that was sold?

Re: Line issue

always frontier/citizens - ran for initial 2 years with no issues after they got it working - frontier did campaign to boost user base and oversold capacity three years ago and things have not been right since- have stack of line quality tests - pings / multiple speed tests and a stack of documentation that is 4 to 5 inches thick. All shared w/ frontier tech at their request. It's not the local techs - it's local management and up. Stir it up enough and it gets fixed for a couple of days then back to same.

everything indicates issues at local office and Bluefield (hub). Lines were all replaced several years ago when that bad ice storm hit east coast. Weather is not normally an issue but the squirrels did get the lines once. From the outside service boxes (2 - because we carried 2 lines for years) it's about 15 feet to gateway and all systems are hardwired with quality Cat 6 cables. Speeds and latency bounce all over.

the yahoo thing is what has pushed the issue.

Tech people saw our equip and records show it is not our equip. - Alienware MX17's, MacBook Pro and custom built desktops w/ EVGA motherboards / graphics caeds & max ram on all.

very remote about 3 miles from T1 w/ 5 homes fed including us. Other T1 leading into area is full ( 12 )
john262

join:2003-09-26
Elko, NV

Ads

You can use a browser ad blocker to block the ads. Or you can enable enable SMTP Authentication and use Frontier Yahoo mail ad free through an email client.

Re: Ads

appreciate the info but Yahoo mail is just too dangerous. a lot of people don't care, but some of us do.

Look at the senate race where the incumbent is using comments made by the challenger in 2009 and 2010 in an open chat forum within a game ( World of Warcraft )

That's just scary.

People just don't get it or ignore it

Webster Springs, WV

Look at the senate race where the incumbent is using comments made by the challenger, posted in game chat in 2009 / 2010 in World of Warcraft. This is a 2012 election.

That is just scary.

Yahoo is the biggest offender of personal rights.

Review by Kemeko See Profile

Good "Nothing."
Bad "Used to have disconnects, still have low bandwidth. IMPOSSIBLE to play online games on."
Overall "If you can switch to a dif. ISP. If you can't keep calling, chatting online, e-mail or write letters to their techs/offices."

I live in the middle of the country side, sattelite or Dial-up are my only other options and I cannot get any other sort've internet service besides Frontier's DSL for what I want to do online which is gaming. It can be un-reliable and slow, but runs smoothly most of the time. Their tech assistance is friendly enough, but it might take a bit of effort to get them to repair local DSL problems. All in all if i were a normal customer who browse'd the net and watched netflix all day I wouldn't even notice any of the congestion and lack of bandwidth, because those 2 activities I can still do online without hindrance. Since if the net is running slow you can just walk away from Netflix for 5 min. and it is loaded in usually, but with online gaming it isn't so simple.

Update: Frontier has done a good job at fixing most of my problems now and I see them maintaining the local lines around the area I reside in. Just keep bugging them, ask for help on these forums and if they are the only ISP in your area have patience.

Update2: Back to the start, slow speeds as in 56k slow or maybe even 28.8k, tech support was useless basically blamed it on my computer.