Frontier Communications page on DSLReports

Review by Terroriffic See Profile

• Location: Houlka,Chickasaw,MS
Good "Best option where I live."
Bad "Not nearly the connection I'm paying for."
Overall "Disappointment all around."

I've been getting DSL from Frontier in Houlka, MS for about 3 years now, started as a 1Mbps down/128k Up then a while back they upped it to 2.5 down/256k up and I was really happy with that for a while.(In comparison to the satellite we used to have)
However, For a couple of months now, I've had constant trouble with huge decreases in speed and even frequent disconnects on some days. I've called Support and technicians have come multiple times, still with no improvement.
When everything is okay my ping stays around 105ms, which i feel should be faster anyway, but as of late it's been upwards of 200-300ms with huge amounts of jitter while download speed has been more than halved.
It's absolutely dreadful and the techs and support reps seem to have no idea why it happens :/
Hope to see something resolved soon.

Picture below of my speedtest from just before writing this.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2686244524.png

• Location: Hillsboro,Washington,OR
  • Telco party Verizon
Good "Sometimes the tec. rep has nice voice"
Bad "See star ratings"
Overall "Money thrown a way"

Frontier DSL connection in our NE Brogden St neighborhood is like tired old
wet dog in a freezing night. Old dial up modem is sometimes faster then t
heir DSL. Same goes with Frontier customer service. If you enjoy mental torture, just call them.

(review was emailed from domain msn.com)

Comments:

Review by DurhamDanger See Profile

• Location: Durham,Durham,NC
Good "Local Tech Support are Great"
Bad "Oversold DSL leads to speeds LESS THAN Dialup"
Overall "$5 credit off bill still does not help crappy speeds"

·Earthlink Cable ..
I was one of those many people who had Verizon before they sold Durham to Frontier. The sale was years in planning during which time Verizon ran Durham into the ground. On the switch to Frontier my network immediately bottomed out. However the field engineers and local techs worked through the issues and fixed my 3Mbps/768kbps to acceptable speeds hovering around 2.5 Mbps.

Until last week that is...we have been experiencing terribly crappy speeds during the evening hours and just plain crappy speeds during the day. We've even had network disconnections happen now. My last speed tests are now showing horrific speeds of 168kbps down. That is even crappy for dial-up!

When consulting with the technician, she admitted Durham has been over-subscribed in DSL and they don't expect to have it completely fixed until June 2013. Sending me over to customer support, they could only offer me a $5 credit for six months. That's five dollars off unusable service? It's like handing a company money for absolutely nothing.

I was supposed to get a call from the local technical manager to either explain the issue and do something about it or offer up something else. Nope. No call today.

I am having to move to another service (most likely Earthlink cable) to get the Internet back into my house.

Comments:
TBBroadband

·MegaPath

Elink

Elink is just resold TWC. You will still have to deal 100% with TWC for everything, install, billing and basically support. And if Elink can't fix the problem on the phone, they will send you a tech. Also Elink does not have access to most D3 plans. So you'll be stuck with what TWC gives them.
DurhamDanger

join:2013-03-13
Durham, NC
·Earthlink Cable ..
·Frontier Communi..

Re: Elink

Oh I pretty much knew Earthy would be riding on TWC cables as TWC and Frontier are the only choices for Durham.

Makes me want to smack our Mayor Bill Bell for getting us into this mess and then I remember it's the city council that has the real power here.

Right now I'm just looking for cheapest connection until this town breaks the law and puts together a municipal line.

Review by smtfish See Profile

• Location: Shepherdstown,Jefferson,WV
Good "pleasant employees, sometimes helpful, always professional"
Bad "inefficient bureaucracy, *!# yahoo ad-laden webmail, slow dsl offerings, monopoly"
Overall "love-hate relationship with the new/old Frontier"

At my home office, I have the only DSL speed supposedly offered in my area which is 2.5 mbps down, 512 up. (There used to be multi-tiered offerings but when I inquired I was told I only have one option). I've been a customer with Frontier both on the business side (POTS,T-1,metro-e,PRI) and their residential side (POTS, DSL) for over 15 years. I oversee services which total over $1400/month to Frontier.

I abhor their sales/marketing function. As a customer, I get constant mailings to buy services I already have, while at the same time being exhorted to go green with electronic statements. Physical statements often have ads selling junk for 3rd party services. Their sales technique to a captive audience in what is essentially a monopoly market is ineffective at best- irritating at worst. Having been a long-time customer, my irritation with Frontier continues to escalate over time. In addition to their snail mailings their current Yahoo web-mail is laden with cr@pvertising, C'mon I'm a paying customer. If there was another option for combined phone+internet I'd jump ship in a heartbeat.

Frontier is a multi-headed monster. I've been transferred between as many as four agents in a circular loop. I've signed contracts for services that took 6+ months to install (still in process). After the sale is made - don't expect the salesperson to call back if there is trouble. Where's the accountability?

Frontier has many gems in its technical support staff if you can get to the 2nd tier support or talk to people actually making the repairs. They are pleasant, intelligent, stay on the problem until it is resolved, and followup.

One problem I've noticed is that the support functions are divided by specialty (by necessity) but they often don't talk to each other. As a result diagnosis is often slow and sometimes the first response is along the lines of "we can't see a problem, it must be on your end" or "are you willing to accept any fees before we come out" Jeez, I thought you were the experts. In a world where network testers can tell me a line break is 50 ft away, I still don't understand why their troubleshooting tools seem to be lacking. This is both a technology and a management issue. Focus here first- not on your marketing. There once was a time after a recurring number of failures with Frontier, that I had a dedicated rep - amazingly all the problems and frustrations seemed to vanish almost instantly. Sadly that hasn't been the case for some time now

Frontier executives, please sit in on a support ticket from beginning to end. To truly understand the magnitude of your inefficiency, don't interfere in the process because then you won't see all the circular loops and hoops your customers are jumping through.

Frontier, cut your sales and marketing budget, streamline your support processes and use the money you save to improve your infrastructure in WV, improve your internet offerings to be competitive with Comcast, and get rid of the yahoo mail for residential customers. . . Then perhaps instead of deterring other people from signing up for your services, I will actually recommend you.

update 2013Mar6. I still stand by my original review but I will mention on the plus side I was able to increase my speeds to roughly 6 mbps down/768 kbps up. That said, they seem to be severely bandwidth constrained at their Charles Town, Central Office especially during the evenings. Heck, they even admit it on their speedtest.frontiernet.net webpage. I've been with them so long, I probably could be described as tel-codependent.

Comments:
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

Off topic.

What does TDS telecom have to do with this review? Don't spam the forum.

Re: Off topic.

trying to sell TDS's service in other areas??? They are a CLEC as well.

Yahoo! Mail

If you don't like the Yahoo! Webmail why use it? Why not go else where to obtain your own domain and host it some where?

Review by Gentoo See Profile

• Location: Carbondale,Jackson,IL
Good "Good off peak speeds and not much else"
Bad "Extremely High ping, Congestion, and Horrible tech support."
Overall "Oversold network, It's just not worth it."

·Mediacom
I signed up for frontiers 3Mbps/0.750Mbps Dry line DSL package for $40 a month plus a $5 modem rental fee. When we signed up they told us it would be on in 1-2 days. That never happened, we ended up waiting about 3 weeks with multiple calls to frontier wandering what the hell was going on. I'm not sure if there was a legitimate problem or that they just don't care.

Were I live frontier seems to suffer extreme congestion problems, starting at noon my speed slowly drop then about 7-10 it just dies completely with downloads as slow as 0.10Mbps. Then at midnight my speeds skyrocket to a constant 2.8Mbps. Overall I'm not very pleased and living in rural southern Illinois, I won't be seeing any upgrades for a long time.

I am no longer a Frontier Customer.

Comments:

Polmood

@direcway.com

Phone and internet service and customer service

I live in Berkeley Springs Wv and the only service available to me is Frontier and they are terrible. I have struggled with them since November trying to get my internet to work and my phone bill correct. They have over charged my for several months and never can get anything resolved. The internet only works half the time. I have searched for other companies and Froniter is the only one in our area. I would give them a F for service teh support and customer service. I did look up the Better Business and they dont meet the requirments so what does that tell you.

MadatFrontie

@frontiernet.net

Re: Phone and internet service and customer service

Here in Utah they massively over sold their network in my area I called tech because they told me 6 months ago they would fix it anyway the tech guy that came out told me they had sold to over 180 homes and they only had 6 t-1 lines to run all of us and they wouldn't get any more until the weather was better Horrid you should fix lines then sell to customers they also told most new people they would get speeds up to 25mbit when they will never ever be able to offer more then maybe 3 with the new lines they are putting in

Review by brkr19 See Profile

• Location: Genoa,Dekalb,IL
Bad "Very slow and costs as much as Comcast"

Slow speed. Called tech suppt of course the speed test says 1.5mb/sec but thats not what I get when I download and the browsing is slow too. Tech suppt says "not our problem".

Comments:

Review by SteveJobs See Profile

• Location: Flanagan,Livingston,IL
Good " Always on"
Bad "Slow speeds"
Overall "Good for people that need always on internet"

To note, the zip code i entered is a town that is in my county, as I do not want to give my exact location.

We used to be with Verizon, before frontier bought them out and we have seen a great increase in service. We have always been on the 1.5mbps tier until June of this year, when we upgraded to their 3mbps plan. It has been pretty well, my parents reporting that the computer that is bridged via LAN from the router said they have had more problems, but i do not believe them. The extra bandwidth was appreciated, however not enough. The cost is extremely expensive for what we get, as we can get 15mbps on Mediacom for 10 bucks a month. We are unfortunatly locked into a contract, so we can not leave. However, I am severely frustrated at them, as a rural town down the road gets 7mbps internet, while our max is 3. And we live in a much larger town then the town that gets 7mbps. And they have had it before the bonded DSL was announced, also. I see all of these awful stories with frontier, but we have had no issues. The support has always been helpful. I do not like how they charge $85 if the tech steps foot in your home.

We also have our phone service bundled with this, That is 30 bucks a month, We have no complaints here.

I see great potental in frontier once their bonded dsl becomes fully deployed.

Comments:

Review by nate155 See Profile

• Location: Delta,Millard,UT
Good "Nothing"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Not much choice..."

We have had Frontier internet for a number of years and like clock work since we have had them can almost guarantee I will have a high latency from 4 pm to 11 pm and all day on Sundays and Saturdays and holidays and im not talking about 150-200 ms I am talking 350-2000 ms they told me 2 months ago they were working on the problem. come to find out they over sold service and they cant support the number of users they have on. not only that their upload speed is capped at 23KBS download avg goes about 110KBS late at night might get 140-150 KBS we were sold as it being a 3mibt connection but I was told the line can't support it though how it can suppose an insane amount of users I don't know they say they have no plan to increase peoples speeds even though a cable company is moving in in 2014-2015 that will offer most users in Town 25mibit for same price If I was in the main 84624 Area I would not sign a contract with this company as I'd wait for cable or go with the wireless alternative

Comments:

Review by asdjf See Profile

• Location: Old Fields,Hardy,WV
Good "Better than satellite"
Bad "Incompetent, rude and slow"
Overall "They take advantage of people."

Let me tell you a story, one of many, of how Frontier is the most horrible ISP there is.

I called to get them to bring up the upload speed to somewhat match what I am paying for (3M/512kbps) because upload at the time was only 200kbps. The next day the speed dropped to 1mbit down/0.1 up. Called tech support and they said that rather than fixing the speed issue, the tech lowered our speed down to the one meg tier because that's "all we are capable of getting", nevermind that we were getting 2.6Mbit/s a couple days ago. Tech support said this was done because we are 20,000 feet from the CO but we are not, it is only 700 feet away as told to me by the CSR when ordering the service.

I go back and forth with them for a while and then they transfer me to customer service's escalation department. They tell me that they can downgrade me to the 1mbit plan but it would be an extra $20 a month. How does that even make sense?? I want the speed fixed and they want to not only put me on a lower speed but charge me more for lower speed. This lady just kept saying that I was getting the speed that I should be getting, that's all that I could be getting. And after telling her again that tech support specifically told me that they downgraded my speed she told me that they will think about sending a tech out. She then went on to threaten me with permanently having no internet service if I complain about the speeds. I am not kidding, this woman actually said that if I kept 'making changes to my account' that I might not end up with service at all. Even though I want them to fix it, not make any changes.. After this exchange I ask for the woman's name, which she refuses to give. I ask her three times, and each time she said have a nice day. Unbelievable.

I have a great many stories like this about this service, like how they cannot find my city on a map and they say it does not show that I have service with them even though I am on the service right now, that this is not their area even though all my neighbors have frontier, about the many times that techs cancelled the install order when they could not be bothered to come to the house.

Comments:

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

wow

Nailed it!

Anon512

@qwest.net

When you say 0.2M, do you mean MB/s or Mb/s? If you were advertised 512 Kb/s then that equals 0.512 Mb/s or 0.062 MB/s. If you were getting 0.2 MB/s or even 0.1 MB/s then you were indeed getting more than what they offered.

asdjf

join:2005-01-01

Re: Reply

I mean Mbits, Mb/s.

Review by xorca See Profile

• Location: Slaterville Springs,Tompkins,NY

I am using frontier now for 3 years=0A =0AThey are by far the worst teleco provider=0A =0ANot even the phones work as they should=0A =0ADSL:=0A1. slow and you have to constantly call them to fix it =
(on average I have to call once a month). After complain few days it is wor=
king fine then back to old, send me 4 different routers to try to please me=
but it is not helping.=0A =0A2. they do not inv=
est in new things=0A =0A3. main IT support =
is horrible they do not have basic tracking software to notice that I call =
every 4 weeks=0A =0A4. I finally have different =
choice and I am moving service to Clarity Connect=0A =
=0A5. I would switch phone service long time ago but some how they hav=
e monopoly in my area (I do not know why)=0A =0A=
it is worst of the worst

Comments:
xorca

join:2012-10-05
Slaterville Springs, NY

Frontier DSL service

I am using frontier now for 3 years

They are by far the worst teleco provider

Not even the phones work as they should

DSL:
1. slow and you have to constantly call them to fix it (on average I have to call once a month). After complain few days it is working fine then back to old, send me 4 different routers to try to please me but it is not helping.

2. they do not invest in new things

3. main IT support is horrible they do not have basic tracking software to notice that I call every 4 weeks

4. I finally have different choice and I am moving service to Clarity Connect

5. I would switch phone service long time ago but some how they have monopoly in my area (I do not know why)

it is worst of the worst